8.1

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1955 Ratings

1. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. A solid remake all-in-all. I played the original DOS games and most of the sequels, which are hard acts to follow. This newest incarnation manages to have the core of what made the original extremely fun: well crafted turn-by-turn combat, variety of weapons and equipment, resource management, researching and reverse engineering alien tech, etc. The graphics are very good; the temple ship is truly a masterpiece of a stage. There is a lot not to like as well, of course. Normal difficulty is too easy, taking 40 hours to beat for me. XCOMEU is far less complex than the original, in a bad way. Combat has been oversimplified, with the boring "move, shoot, repeat" scheme. The original with time units was much more fun; you could spend all your time units shooting, moving, swapping a weapon out oof your pack, or all three. I was displeased to discover that there was only one alien base in the game (several in the OG). The end stage, while very fun, was disappointing - no Mars? Really? Very anticlimactic ending. When you investigate a crash site, you are dropped practically on top of it in a tiny area. The enemies are now "aggro'd" WOW-style and just stand around until you approach. They don't move around otherwise. I miss the old crash site maps which were larger and required exploration. The maps in general become repetitive. I also think the overall atmosphere of the game is too tame; the eery stage music of the original is permanently etched in my brain. Oh, and lastly, where is the Snakeman? A lot of negative points said here, but as I said, the heart of the original is still there and I was glued to my PC for the few short days it took to beat it. Worth buying. Collapse
  2. May 27, 2013
    This is the first and only X-COM game I've ever played, so I'm not rating it down because it isn't the same. I'm rating it so low because it is not a strategy game as it is billed. There are several major reasons for this.

First, the "random" aspects are not actually random. I'm not talking about how savescumming is prevented due to the random seed. I'm talking about how the computer is a cheating bastard. I had a mission once where the first enemy to fire scored a critical hit every time. It didn't matter which enemy was shooting, where they were shooting from, who their target was, where their target was, the cover their target was in, or if the enemy that was shooting took their shot before or after another enemy moved. I tested this by retreating continually and forcing the enemy to follow me to take their shot. I crossed the entire map back to the start point, and without fail the first shot taken by the AI every turn resulted in a critical hit.

Second, the cover system is absolutely horrendous. There are four levels of cover. 0 is no cover. 1 is "half" cover. 2 is "full" cover. 3 is "full" cover with the Hunkered Down ability active. These aren't the actual numerical values as the game uses them to calculate anything, they're just my observation. Okay, now that I've explained that, forget about it, because the game will. Enemies can and will shoot you through walls. The shots will visibly pass right through them. They will shoot you through floors. They will shoot you through bus stops. They will shoot you from fifty feet into the adjacent room behind a solid wall where the only way you can see them is from their red outline because even the camera can't see them. A car provides the exact same amount of cover when it's intact as it does when it is a smoldering wreck. It's very annoying to get hit by an enemy who is making a shot that is simply not physically possible.

Third, the computer is a cheating bastard. Yes, again. They don't follow any movement rules, it seems. When you encounter enemies they immediately interrupt your turn to move into cover. Floaters can teleport onto your flanks at will. Berserkers can interrupt your turn to move. Thin Men will literally drop from the sky on your flanks. Sectopods can take three actions per turn. Enemies will spawn right in the middle of your squad. Groups of enemies will teleport around the map if you lose sight of them. In other words, there is no strategy involved in placing your units, you just need to hope the game decides to be nice.

Fourth, squad panic is simply awful. XCOM is supposed to be the world's most elite military force. So why do they act like they've never been in a firefight before? One of your units takes a hit, and your other members of the world's most elite military force turn all the way around, take aim on the person beside them, yell "HELP ME!" and shoot them in the face. Losing a squad member because they got shot through a wall is bad enough, now you're just rubbing it in for no good reason.

Fifth, global panic. The first thing I want to point out is how incredibly stupid this sort of conversation must sound. "Hello, is this XCOM, the world's most elite military force focused on fighting the alien invasion? This is the President of the United States. We have decided we are being invaded by too many aliens to require the help of the world's most elite military force focused on fighting the alien invasion. Please stop saving our citizen's lives." The second thing is that the system is simply broken. Not taking a mission in a country increases the panic levels of all the countries on that continent for some reason, not just the one being attacked by aliens. This means that no matter how well you are playing the game, you will eventually lose. A game where you are guaranteed to lose is a very badly designed game.

Sixth, I have an underground complex filled with advanced technology, soldiers who can practically blow things up with their minds, multiple satellites over every continent, multiple heavily armed interceptors stationed on every continent, but when three cities get attacked by aliens at once I can only send one group of six people while the other ninety-three soldiers twiddle their thumbs in the Barracks.

To summarize, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is not a strategy game. It fails at the most important element of a strategy game: Rewarding strategy. It would get a 0 for that reason, but it's actually quite entertaining once you realize it's not a strategy game and start to play accordingly. That, and it changes the lights on my keyboard to coincide with the enemy turns and I think that's neat.
  3. Oct 26, 2012
    A decent game let down by a marketing strategy to parade it in on the shoulders of a colossal masterpiece. Though it does not, by any stretch of my experience, deserve the 0 scores it is getting, I do understand and share much of the old Xcom fans' gripes about this instalment. My take on the game's overall shortcoming is basically this - they critically misunderstood the very core essenceA decent game let down by a marketing strategy to parade it in on the shoulders of a colossal masterpiece. Though it does not, by any stretch of my experience, deserve the 0 scores it is getting, I do understand and share much of the old Xcom fans' gripes about this instalment. My take on the game's overall shortcoming is basically this - they critically misunderstood the very core essence of Xcom. Instead of pitting you up against an unforgiving and overwhelming invasion and then enabling you to rise above the challenge through various game mechanics; the game offers you static, mediocre invaders and a linear path to salvation and then sets up arbitrary handicaps through game mechanics as a means of creating a challenge. Although the resulting level of challenge is somewhat similar, the resulting level of satisfaction is devastatingly different. It felt more like I was fighting the game developers and trying to get around their in-game hurdles than actually fighting off a relentless alien invasion. A shame really. Expand
  4. Jul 1, 2013
    This game is what Duplo is to the Lego brand. Simple, simplistic and lacking almost any depth beyond choosing A, B or C. That it did so well despite all its manifest shortcomings shows just how very hungry the market is for games like these that we will devour this half-baked swill like caviar. That being said, there are moments of fun to be had.

It was also very, very buggy on

It was also very, very buggy on release and I've not seen much in the way of improvement. God bless Firaxis for having what passes as innovation in this market but they have the development skill of an indie studio.
  5. nop
    Oct 22, 2012
    This game is a marketing success but a creative failure. I loved original XCOM game and really wanted to enjoy playing this remake. But several hours into the game I started to feel that I've been cheated. Imagine a "reboot" of original Quake, where you can only carry two weapons, regenerate health while moving from one waist-high cover to another through linear levels, watchingThis game is a marketing success but a creative failure. I loved original XCOM game and really wanted to enjoy playing this remake. But several hours into the game I started to feel that I've been cheated. Imagine a "reboot" of original Quake, where you can only carry two weapons, regenerate health while moving from one waist-high cover to another through linear levels, watching unskippable cutscenes after every few minutes. This is what you feel if you played XCOM/UFO games before. Shallow and dumbed down kids-friendly piece of mass entertainment. Seriously, I'm surprised that after infinite ammo they didn't add regenerating health. Base building is a joke compared to the original. Geoscape is just a pretty animation. This is earth defense simulator minus the simulator part. This is a game where radio stations can work from underground caves, satellites can hover above arbitrary location on the globe and psionics only works if you break glass window first. Expand
  6. Oct 14, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown should never had been included in the XCOM franchise, its lack of tactical and strategic options available in the original 3 games (X-COM: UFO Defense, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, and X-COM: Apocalypse) is highly disappointing to X-COM fans.
  7. Oct 15, 2012
    After playing 40 hours, I can say that this game requires some serious mods to be interesting and/or remotely similar to original.

From brainless base design/research to repetitive combat missions (although original had it too, to be fair) there are a lot to be desired. Most importantly, there is no option to turn movement animation OFF or speed it up, so the game will chew your time

Most importantly, there is no option to turn movement animation OFF or speed it up, so the game will chew your time as you have nothing better to do.

On other hand, I did play this game for 40 hours and its moment at first.
  8. Oct 15, 2012
    For every thing this game does right there is a bad thing to even things out.
    For every thing this game does right there is a bad thing to even things out.
    Awesome to customize your soldiers, few customization options. Amazing atmosphere, terrible camera inside UFOs. Fighting around the world seems like fighting around the same place. Streets of japan are filled with american cop cars and yellow cabs. Absolutely no distinction between Brazil, London, India, Australia, Etc.... It's Firaxis and it's Xcom, great company and great legacy, right now I'm 30 hours into the game and I'm very frustrated by the percentages. An Assault soldier with an alien shotgun beside a Muton has only 28% chance of hitting him? And my fully leveled sniper can't hit a target in clear sight? Very weird decisions were made in this game and I wanted so much to love it. Until some patches come along and an expansion to give it more diversity, stay away!
  9. Dec 27, 2012
    Funny thing this game. I've loved most of the franchise so far.. but thing is, this game feels updated in some ways (nice graphics), but the distinctly no-choice approach to many things makes it a bit difficult to feel engaged in and certainly feels like a step back from some of the previous outings.
    To pin down my gripes:
    1. The "hidden council" made me feel distinctly disassociated
    To pin down my gripes:
    1. The "hidden council" made me feel distinctly disassociated from events.
    2. from my play throughs the plot is liner - it doesn't matter what you research or what order the end game is either win or lose. and your choices to that point make no difference.. moreover no 'prologue' endings.. what a missed opportunity to give you the illusion of having had choice and giving you replay incentive.
    3. the game chooses your characters classes for you! :(
    4.equipment and even research choices feel very limited.

So to sum, whilst I don't want to say 'too simple'... that's what I was left feeling.. A good game in here if only they'd added a bit of plot, personality and detail of choice to it.
  10. Nov 26, 2012
    A decent game in it's own right, and it works well as a tribute to the 1993 original as it contained enough of the original themes to make me nostalgic. That being said, it's way too dumbed-down to be considered the same caliber as it's predecessors were.

Almost everything is generic and automated, from how the organization itself is administered to how the soldiers interact with the environment when on tactical missions. It leaves you very little choice, and even less room for variation. The soldiers lack any distinguishable traits whatsoever, except for appearance and nationality at least; as they've removed evolvable stats in favor of a primitive class-system with very limited perks as they rank up. Inventory has also been standardized, and you can't even pick up equipment from fallen friends or foes on the field. The option to construct new bases is gone, as is the option to properly control air missions. The tactical missions lack interactivity, as you can no longer free-aim to destroy obstacles (or just for fun) and all bullets fly in a straight line only to disappear into thin air if they miss their target, effectively removing the joy of unintentional collateral damage and the unpredictability which follows it. Aliens just stand around in groups awaiting activation rather than roaming the field and positioning themselves favorably from start, and you can only deploy a maximum of six soldiers to a mission (four at the start - you have to research in order to reach the maximum six). Maps are small and very predictable too, usually you just move forward in one direction jumping from cover to cover massacring one alien group at the time until you're done.

Multiplayer could have been awesome, but it's way too unimaginative to even be considered "ok". Here too, they've stripped your options down to a minimum. Only mode is 1vs1 squad elimination, even though single-player mode offers various settings which could have been extremely fun in multiplayer; and you use a simple "buy-for-points" system when building your squad rather than something more sophisticated (and rewarding). Also there's no progression whatsoever besides a place on the very primitive win/loss ratio-based ladder. Perhaps a system like the one they've implemented in Shogun 2: Total War would be better? At least it gives the player a feeling of achievement, something the present system doesn't provide at all.

All-in-all... This is a game that offers very little variation, very little choice and a downright backwards level of interactivity. It makes most the decisions for you by limiting your options to the extreme. It works well enough as turn-based action, but as a strategy-and-tactics-game it fails miserable. Especially considering how successful the originals were in that aspect.

If you avoid comparing it to the original franchise, which is actually way more complex and rewarding than this game is despite the fact that it's been almost twenty years since their release; you'll enjoy playing through it once. The replay-value however, is almost non-existent due to the previously mentioned lack of choices, variation and interactivity.

The only real strength to this game is the fact that it contains just enough of the original games to reimburse your enjoyment of those. At least that's what it did for me: Made me reinstall the oldies and play them instead.

I'd advice anyone to do the same ;)
  11. Oct 28, 2012
    Reworking a classic like X-Com is obviously gonna be a challenge. But the continuous failure of gaming companies to get the feeling of the two original games right is just amazing. Once more almost everything that made the original such a great game has been removed, and meaningless fluff has been added.
    The worst part is the incessant hand holding the game forces on you. Two hours into the game I`m still waiting to be allowed to choose for myself what to do in my base, but am being guided around as if I`m completely brain dead. In between all this insulting babysitting there are endless cut scenes with pointless dialogue, so that whenever you do try to explore your base you risk one of the uninteresting inhabitants giving you a dull explanation for why you can`t be where you clicked, complete with panning cameras. The whole experience in the base makes you wish there was some option to turn the entire guided experience off. It`s not as if you need to hear a single word being said by anybody anyway.

The actual tactical game is so simplified it doesn`t even compare to the original game. No inventories, not enough space to really be tactical, poor camera controls and the endless loss of game controls as the camera pans around to give you that utterly meaningless "movie" feel. The first NPC encountered even insists on talking for about 5 seconds every turn while you sit and wait for her like a moron.

Compared to this the original dropped you in at the deep end let you explore the game yourself. There were no cut scenes and endless droning dialogue to waste your time, and you had detailed base and tactical control. Why is it so impossible these days to just let players play the game on their own?
    Whatever merits this game has is totally lost in all this, at least for me. I`m sure members of the fluoride generation used to being treated as imbeciles will enjoy it, but for seasoned gamers it is unbearable.
  12. May 12, 2013
    Well if you are 10 yrs old and can't remember the original, this game will be awesome to play. However, if you know anything about the original, please leave your expectations in the empty box after you purchase this or you will be disappointed. How a 20 yr old game with graphics that seem older than that can still be more fun today than this game was is beyond me, but it is true. As otherWell if you are 10 yrs old and can't remember the original, this game will be awesome to play. However, if you know anything about the original, please leave your expectations in the empty box after you purchase this or you will be disappointed. How a 20 yr old game with graphics that seem older than that can still be more fun today than this game was is beyond me, but it is true. As other reviewers have pointed out the one glaring thing that disappointed me was the lame fog of war. In the original if you walked around a corner you could get blasted in the back of the head and not even know what happened, just like real combat. In this you walk around the corner see the alien behind you then watch it go and hide so you get a chance to get your bearings and attack, super lame. In the original I actually felt technically inferior to the aliens as I watched them dismantle my squad in a matter of minutes even late in the game. In this if you make it past the first few months forget about it, you are on cruise control from there. It's as if you switched place with the aliens and now you are the technically superior force, watching aliens cower from you. What a joke. I wish this let's make our game so the biggest simpleton moron can play it in the name of making money tradition would end, SOON. Expand
  13. May 30, 2013
    Man I wish I would have played the Demo before buying this game. Got sucked into the hype big time. This game has the most cumbersome interface I've even encountered in a PC game. Just don't get what all the X-com fuss is about. The game is totally boring and after playing it for about 45 minutes I couldn't delete off my computer fast enough. Like other folks have said, this game is reallyMan I wish I would have played the Demo before buying this game. Got sucked into the hype big time. This game has the most cumbersome interface I've even encountered in a PC game. Just don't get what all the X-com fuss is about. The game is totally boring and after playing it for about 45 minutes I couldn't delete off my computer fast enough. Like other folks have said, this game is really dumbed down, it has a feel of an old 1980 or 90's game, perhaps that's what the designers wanted but it's not my cup of tea. Expand
  14. Feb 3, 2013
    Thanks Firaxis, for forcing an operating system upgrade in order to to play it. We feel that probably should have been flagged in larger fonts. We also hope Steam will refund our money- guess we'll find out next week or whenever Steam support deigns to respond to our tickets. Regards, Your customers with XP.
  15. Nov 28, 2012
    A fun and addicting game on normal. Bugs and bad-AI-so-cheat-compensation kill classic or impossible modes. Because the developers didn't develop any worthwhile AI for the enemy in this game, they cheat for the computer on classic and impossible difficulties. You don't notice it in normal because you can actually go blow-for-blow and win. All you have to do is advance, stay in cover,A fun and addicting game on normal. Bugs and bad-AI-so-cheat-compensation kill classic or impossible modes. Because the developers didn't develop any worthwhile AI for the enemy in this game, they cheat for the computer on classic and impossible difficulties. You don't notice it in normal because you can actually go blow-for-blow and win. All you have to do is advance, stay in cover, and shoot, and you'll win on normal. What you don't notice (because there aren't that many patrolling alien squads in normal) is that alien packs don't walk around the map, they randomly teleport anywhere on it and then aggro when they see you. In the higher difficulties you can't go blow-for-blow, but instead have to use flanking and/or luring tactics. Except that enemies can teleport anywhere if they're not in your Line-of-Sight and attempting to perform any remotely tactical movement will result in another pack of aliens spawning in your LoS.

This results in only one tactic that works, which is also extremely boring: creep forward with one scout, trigger a single alien group, run back to the rest of the squad sitting in cover and overwatch, and hope aliens follow you. Nothing as exciting as sitting in overwatch for 50 turns, right?

The base-management is trivial as well. There are no research dead-ends, you can research everything fairly quickly so there isn't any strategy in researching. Satellite and panic management is the only remotely strategic part of the base-management.
  16. Apr 2, 2013
    A disappointment. Certainly the best XCOM game since Terror from the Deep and a ok game for what it is but that's about it. It's short, dumbed down, the production values are iffy, the RNG combat mechanics stupid and annoying, the art style terrible. Too bad Firaxis didn't want to make a truly great game. They just wanted to make an accessible game.
  17. Jun 20, 2013
    Too dumbed down for my taste. I'm an X-Com fan, but not a hardcore one, I'm not one of those guys who're still replaying the game every other weekend after some 20ish years, I'm just an average (more or less) gamer, and this felt like a seriously watered down version of a strategy game. It's not bad, but it's not good either, just average at most. The UI is a joke, clearly designed forToo dumbed down for my taste. I'm an X-Com fan, but not a hardcore one, I'm not one of those guys who're still replaying the game every other weekend after some 20ish years, I'm just an average (more or less) gamer, and this felt like a seriously watered down version of a strategy game. It's not bad, but it's not good either, just average at most. The UI is a joke, clearly designed for consoles. The battlescape is clearly designed for consoles, there is no free aiming, everything is constrained so the game works ok on a gamepad, in fact, now that I think about it, having used a mouse made everything so much cumbersome! Going through menuses, selecting soldiers abilities on battle, everything was tedious thanks to using a mouse. This is not a bad strategy game, it's just a lousy PC strategy game. Oh, and the plot sucks big time and boring. Expand
  18. Nov 10, 2012
    when I first started playing this game I thought it was fun. The graphics are really cool. It was not, to me at least, an easy game to beat. But, after a while it started to seem ridiculously difficult. In order to shoot at (and usually miss) an alien I would have to stand out and expose my self to their next shot. Which many times would kill my soldier. After finding that I could notwhen I first started playing this game I thought it was fun. The graphics are really cool. It was not, to me at least, an easy game to beat. But, after a while it started to seem ridiculously difficult. In order to shoot at (and usually miss) an alien I would have to stand out and expose my self to their next shot. Which many times would kill my soldier. After finding that I could not shoot at and hit an alien at a distance I would walk right up next to an alien and my chances of hitting him would still only be 1%. And sure enough I would miss the shot and bye bye soldier on the alien's next turn. The game started to feel very scripted. It seemed like the strategy component of the game was an illusion. Much like winning a game on a slot machine by luck is an illusion. To those who don't know, slot machines pay off at predetermined pulls of the handle. It can pay off at the 50th pull of the handle or the 500th pull of the handle etc. etc. The only luck involved is if you are the person pulling the handle at the 50th pull. It got to be boring to play after that. And I lost interest. I think this game is getting to high of a score for its playability level. I recognize all the hard work the game creators put into this game and I appreciate the effort. But I don't think they succeeded in making an Xcom worthy game. Expand
  19. Nov 27, 2012
    At first i like it ... but only one base - squad is limited to 6 - why ? All countries finance 6 ! persons only sqad. You need for example weapon fragments to build somethig - what for alloys - ok , ellurium ok but weapon fragments ? I have for example undestroyed weapons but no ineed weapon fragments and i cannot destroy it myself. You are unable to move invetory of one soldier toAt first i like it ... but only one base - squad is limited to 6 - why ? All countries finance 6 ! persons only sqad. You need for example weapon fragments to build somethig - what for alloys - ok , ellurium ok but weapon fragments ? I have for example undestroyed weapons but no ineed weapon fragments and i cannot destroy it myself. You are unable to move invetory of one soldier to another. If you shot alien his weapon is always destroyed . Enemies waiting to find you but may appear from nowwhere. Its not like strategy but america comics lonely hero ( 6 heroes) versus weak horde of enemies. It shoud be tottaly diffrent - vast armies versus aliens not so many but with better technology and extremely hard to beat Expand
  20. Dec 21, 2012
    As a remake, the game seriously needed two different reviews. For XCOM-veterans this is going to be a slight disappointment. Then again for people who never knew of XCOM's this is better choice, making it 8/10.

XCOM is all about a strange alien threat that spreads throughout the Earth. A resistance movement is established and player is set to be as a commander. You make decisions how to improve your base of operations, manage funds, soldiers and technology improvement. There is a storyline while you fight back. First you encounter only small alien crafts and rather feeble aliens, but as you progress the tougher the enemies. Combat is tactical and strictly turn-based, but is well behind of similiar games (like Jagged Alliance franchise). Compared to old XCOM-games this is heavily simplified, and players looking for gaining an edge over aliens find themselves rather stripped from tools.

New thing in tactical fighting is positioning, i.e. flanking opponents. Your chances to hit increase a lot, but this effect concerns your own soldiers too. There is also suppressive fire, which does the opposite and hinders enemy chances to hit your troops.

Replay-value is low if not non-existing. Players can search their limits by increasing game difficulty, but because there are very little variety of factors that can change there's not much point trying to beat game on higher and higher difficulty levels.

I can't recommend this for XCOM-veterans unless you pick it below $10. For the rest of the people, $20 should be the limit. The game is not horrible, but standard pricing near $50 is simply too expensive of what you get in return.
  21. Oct 7, 2013
    This is my first review, and i'm going to promise all, when you see my tag, it'll likely be the only honest and critical review of a game around. I'm so tired of these fanboy responses, or hater responses.

Anyway, here's the nuts of it. The new Xcom game is great in many areas (you'll read many of them in these lists: gfx, ambiance, sound, music, art, troop management, resource management, alien threat management, country management, etc all real nice). And it deserves play and praise (still overpriced tho, but all games are when they just come out :)

Yes, it is a somewhat less depthful than the original (everyone who tells you "no it isn't" is a newbie fanboy who lacks objectivity. I promise). But its not so bad, as this new game brings a lot to the table, plus one its key "depth" failures is actually linked to its awful "enemy spawn gameplay design" which i'll detail next (and maybe its something they could improve on)

Its "enemy gameplay spawn design" is awful because, essentially it works like an MMO grind. The enemies hang about in "spawns" of 3. Some "spawns" travel short patrol circuits which might cross paths without another spawn. Basically you inch forward, hook the "first spawn" in your way (which ALWAYS consists of 3). then pull back (so you don't trigger any other "spawns"). You kill them, then rinse and repeat. Sometimes a patrolling spawn maybe crosses the battle ground if you did not pull back enough and you might face upto 6 enemies, but this is rare. You also sortof HAVE to do this since the fights are pretty tough, and the percentages weirdly and repeatedly defy what they promise?

After you realise this what the combat is about, after a couple of missions, it gets boring. Kill 3. move up a bit. kill next 3, move up a bit, etc. During a fire-fight sure some fun stuff can happen, but its always your squad versus 3 (or sometimes 6) enemies and you know more or less where they are. I can't give this game more than a 6 as a result, since the "on ground" conflict is key to the game. And as polished as the visuals are, it can't make up for the flaw of a poorly designed encounter mechanic.

The original had a better, more natural, encounter system. The enemies patrolled around the map, sometimes near each other, sometimes not, all random i guess, following whatever script was written for them. You had to fan out to find them (a motion detector kit was there to help you) and you NEVER knew when you'd run into them. you'd get surprised, A LOT, cover was vital, but it could get blown away (fun), and you never knew when more aliens would pitch up (attracted by the noise or whatever script dictated them). So you developed strategies to deal with that. More work than this new version of the game sure, but never boring. never predictable.

I like the newly released Xcom expansion, it certainly looks to add more cool features, etc, I just wish they'd modify the "enemy spawn system" to make the enemies more autonomous and surprising.

Good Gaming all.
  22. Jun 24, 2014
    It is called Xcom Enemy Unknown, but it isn't!
    I played ALL strategic xcom games and i loved them all, each of them has their negatives but the new Firaxis Xcom is the worst remake (after JA back in Action) i have seen, why? Go on:
    Good: + You still can catch aliens + PSI is still in the game + the graphics are okay, for such a game + the sounds are good + It is tactical, very
    It is called Xcom Enemy Unknown, but it isn't!
    Good:
    + You still can catch aliens
    + PSI is still in the game
    + the graphics are okay, for such a game
    + the sounds are good
    + It is tactical, very diffrent but it is.
    + only one base, yeah i do like it, but it could be also negative but i think it is the only good change...

Negativ:
    - no Inventory...the game has Shooter like Weaponslots...
    - no diffrent firemodes for each weapon, skills/perks instead...
    - Clipping errors (weapons go through walls...)
    - just a few Equipment
    - Very linear story structure, NO REPLAY VALUE! Railroad Shooter story...
    - with one base, you still don't have to defend it...BORING!
    - you can't pick up Items during a mission...like in a shooter.
    - like every weapon is class-based...
    - enemys are like dolls, no specific weakness or strengthen (fire, gas? why not? oh...i get it, you have to think and be tactic...)
    - higher difficulty increases enemy numbers and hitchances instead of a smarter A.i....
    - greandes are skill based...no "put a he grenade or smoke grenade in the belt of a soldier".

This is my personal "Worst game remake i ever saw" i was so excited after i heard Firaxis announced this game, but after i played the demo, i was sure it will be the worst remake in history.
    But i give it a chance and i purchased it on a steam sale...
    Even with Ufo extraterrestrials i had way more fun!
    Shame on you firaxis for destroying my so much loved franchise, i really hate you for this game...
    - Cover which isn't really covering you....
  23. Nov 14, 2012
    Fun game that captures the spirit of the old XCOM. But bad usabillity (buttons jumping around, missing informations, navigation, ... ) and heaps of game breaking bugs. A game with a focus on character progression is worth nothing if the caracters get lost in bugs (stuck On-Mission, disappear from selection and levelup, ...)
  24. Dec 3, 2012
    Im an old fan of x-com and while this game is entertaining, its defenitely nothing to be compared to the original in terms of replay value. I could go into details but ill just point out some pros and cons.
    pros:
    updated graphics awesome character models great visuals cons: limited replay value lack of in battle option-cant pick up weapons, turns not based on energy poor tactical
    pros:
    updated graphics
    awesome character models
    great visuals
    cons:
    limited replay value
    lack of in battle option-cant pick up weapons, turns not based on energy
    poor tactical battle options(you can wipe everthing without doing much exploring)
    lack of stat growth options

I could list a lot more things its lacking on, that the original did not that made it such an amazing replay value game. But all in all, if you have never played it, this is by far the best remake so far from all the fails that iv seen and tried. is it worth playing..yes, are you likely to still be playing it a year from now...probably not.If you have the original you will probably stil be playing that one 20 years from now.
  25. Feb 12, 2013
    The original Xcom games were the epitome of the turn-based strategy genre. This latest offering sees it remade into 'strategy lite', with Firaxis doing away with what they thought was chaff. Unfortunately this has the effect of completely undoing the Xcom feel. The SP campaign is over far too quickly, half that of what it really should be, but what is there is well polished andThe original Xcom games were the epitome of the turn-based strategy genre. This latest offering sees it remade into 'strategy lite', with Firaxis doing away with what they thought was chaff. Unfortunately this has the effect of completely undoing the Xcom feel. The SP campaign is over far too quickly, half that of what it really should be, but what is there is well polished and obviously well thought out. I can understand the frustrations of the old school Xcom players (of which I am one, TFTD best game ever) but I can also see the new potential of what has been developed with X:EU 2013. The DLC is laughable, an obvious money grab that players were smart enough to see and subsequently ignore, prompting Firaxis to cancel what they had planned in favour of more worthy material. Gameplay is interesting, it will take you a while to see just how simple it is (particularly if you are an old hand), something which has divided opinion. There are now only two strategic aspects when on the battlescape. Using cover and line of sight. This sometimes leaves you frustrated in that the enemy can make seemingly incredible shots hit, when only a few hairs on your head are sticking out of cover. This is the new system. Partial cover gives you moderate defence, in turn making you slightly harder to hit. Full cover decrease that chance further still. Armor simply adds more blocks to your health (another strategic element removed) with better armor adding more blocks. I did finally get into the game, and overall I enjoyed it. That's not to say I approve of all the changes but there is room for perfection, if Firaxis have the wit to see it. The Ant farm homebase was a gimmick as far as I was concerned. I didn't use it, feel the need to use it or satisfy any vanity therein. The inability to rename your ships was an oversight and the fact that all soldiers have American accents regardless of their nationality was cheap and did nothing to impress the 'new look' Xcom, it was lazy. Nevertheless, X:EU was a decent effort and worthy of a look, though I would advise against buying it at full retail if you are a die--hard Xcom fan. Expand
  26. Mar 31, 2013
    It's been quite long time since some game made me get up early, so I could play before work. XCOM is really cool, too bad that I went through it for 3 days. Certainly I will try again on hardest difficulty and Ironman options.
  27. Dec 3, 2013
    Decent game, nothing special. The conceptually broken auto-save ruined the game for me after a day. Didn't feel like starting over or with all my main goons dead.
  28. Oct 11, 2013
    Summary: a fun (aggravating), addictive tactical game with a lot of surprises, but half-baked. The half-baked stuff: your squad will take missions all over the world from Africa to Russia, yet every map has English street signs and pretty much looks the same. Be prepared for cover and line of sight to be utterly meaningless and for enemies to drop out of the sky in your flank and in theSummary: a fun (aggravating), addictive tactical game with a lot of surprises, but half-baked. The half-baked stuff: your squad will take missions all over the world from Africa to Russia, yet every map has English street signs and pretty much looks the same. Be prepared for cover and line of sight to be utterly meaningless and for enemies to drop out of the sky in your flank and in the rear. Might as well have the hand of God come out of the sky and squish a squad member. Enemies will fire through solid objects and even whole buildings to make a mile-long shot against an soldier they have had no contact with and crit. Buggy in a "QA missed that" sort of way: ex: the interface for training psy soldiers has three slots, but will only take two. I beat this thing, but I won't say it was a fun experience-more of a trial by fire with a lot of loaded saves.

I really enjoyed the fact that each individual squad member can be customized with a full on char gen, so that when they are slaughtered you know them by name and can scream "Not Crawford!!!"

There is a vertical dimension to the game, with lots of rooftop climbing and flying, but I found the interface difficult to use for vertical movement, you never really know if you can scale a wall until you rush it and get stuck at the base pounding on the grapple button.

The 'flight' mini-game is really just plain dumb. Now if we had some control over the interceptors, that would be something. Otherwise it's just a little cutscene where we find out how much you have spent on your air coverage.

Base building is the usual tree-type thing, I found this aspect of the game pretty easy to beat.

I had fun, but I'm looking for a tactical game where there are some understandable and logical rules that both sides play by. The whole 'aliens dropping out of the sky" thing soured me on this game, as did the line of sight and cover issues. There's nothing like losing a squaddie who was about to make Colonel near the end of a mission when he is swatted by the AI. That's just aggravating. A "C" game.
  29. Oct 13, 2012
    The game is heavily story based, and the story is completely linear and very short. After a couple of playthroughs you get pretty sick of the exact same story points occurring at the exact same. I have only played a few days and I have already memorized the exact course of actions needed to complete the story, because there are just not that many steps.

This is made even worse by the

This is made even worse by the fact that the story is heavily dependent on a sense of mystery, which is completely gone after the first playthrough.

To add insult to injury, the line of site mechanics are junk, the enemies are omniscient and get a free turn when you get within about a mile of them, and both the enemies and your team can often shoot through several feet thick walls of alien alloy. Even the tactical combat aspect is not great.

This game doesn't have the variety of game play mechanics that the first XCOM did, or that games like Civilization have. And the main story is much shorter than many of the good tactical RPG's like Final Fantasy Tactics or Valkyria Chronicles (much less variety in gear and abilities as well). The meta game is completely dumbed down. The entire thing plays like a tablet game.

If the game had great tactical combat, a deep tech tree, a greater variety of abilities and gear, and more sophisticated finance / base management mechanics, you could ignore the repetitive story from game to game. But without those components story is too much a part of what value this game delivers and that is burnt out in the first playthrough. Overall its was not a bad attempt, but this is a mediocre game and definitely not the successor to the original XCOM.
  30. gas
    Oct 17, 2012
    I have to lower my score , after the first playthrough i gave a 9, but actually im going to finish my second and sadly the game is loosing a lot of appeal.
    The problem primary is that what you can research and develop is not enough and various to make any difference between different games, basically you will end doing exactly the same things, researching the same things, and exectuing all the same steps every game you will wanna play.
    Also, even if the maps are not few, its quite easy to predict enemy spawn.
    Anothe note not positive is that i think the game is really too short, and you are foced also to speed up cause the panic pressure.
    Basically i still think that this game is very good (on its own, even if different from the old xcoms), but its lacking longevity and relplay value to be really a masterpiece.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    To all the ppl GIVING LOW SCORES cause chance to hit / cover system bugs, READ THIS first. At start i was thinking too that the game had terrible bugs related LOS and targeting, but i was wrong, surely it doesnt help the fact the ruleset is not explained in the manual nor on firaxis site. Fact is this game is more similar to chess then to previous x-com games as idea. To be short about that, this game is based on a strict and working ruleset similar to a board game, hitting is absolutely not related to the point to point projectile trajectory " LOS" that is visible looking the position of the soliders Consider that what you see in 3D as idea is a fictional representation of the ruleset. The ruleset is very very simple and basic, and one understood its really a lot interesting and fun. In the game there is ACCURANCY which is set by default as 65, there are low covers (half shield icon) which gives +20% defence, hi covers (full shield icon) that gives +40% cover. There are modifiers which can be many things, specific traits, perks, elevation etc. The formula is CTH = accurancy - target defence +- modificators. So if there is shooter at a corner, target behind a 40 tons big truck with a half shiled icon position, the shooter can hit the target even if in 3D the bullet pass into the truck, as the rule means you can always hit soliders behind 20% or 40% covers. The only situation when when LOS is obstructed is, one full cover tile in between 2 other full cover tiles, or one single full cover tile strictly in line with the shooter. In the same manner is possible to flank one enemy, a covered enemy have a red alien icon as default, to avoid his cover having as result the yellow alien icon (which means target is out of cover) as ruleset you need to place your shooter past the imaginary orthogonal axis that is projected by the block giving the cover to the target. Im sorry if its not very clear maybe, im not english and im tryin the best i can. There are also specific rules to determine the cth and covers between shooter and target from different elevation zones (+20% hit being higher then target + modificators), and specific rules to determine how works the half covers and full covers in between, but not adjacent to the shooter and target we are considering. Basically this game is based on xcom as setting and basic mechanics, but its a lot different compared to most of the tbs as its absolutely not based to the LOS you can see on the screen to hit the targets, and guys this system works, its simple but very tactical. Told that this game imo is great, cause the target here i understood after some days of playing, its not to just adapt the old xcom with new graphics (which in case is something i expected too at start tbh), the target is its to have a new specific ruleset to possibly create a strategic E-sport. Hope that this one beside the review can help ppl to understand better the game as many bad scores are given cause a misunderstanding of how the game works. Collapse
  31. Dec 21, 2012
    A terrible remake of the original. The 2012 remake took everything that made the original great and unique and screwed up, on every, single, point. Destructible environments? Cool, it's be nice if I could actually shoot at them. Inventory system? NOPE. Micromanagement? NOPE. Oh come on Firaxis, I can only construct a single base, and only a single alien base appears in the game? Yep. Okay,A terrible remake of the original. The 2012 remake took everything that made the original great and unique and screwed up, on every, single, point. Destructible environments? Cool, it's be nice if I could actually shoot at them. Inventory system? NOPE. Micromanagement? NOPE. Oh come on Firaxis, I can only construct a single base, and only a single alien base appears in the game? Yep. Okay, wow, this game really captured the spirit of the original (heavy sarcasm). If you enjoyed the original you will be greatly disappointed with this game. While not a "horrible" game in itself, as a remake, It's not worth $49.99. At all.

There were so many possibilities in the original, but X:COM Enemy Unknown (Not to be confused with the good one) is extremely linear. The game holds you back and doesn't allow you to proceed until you've done what it wants. You cannot hire scientists and or engineers, The game basically comes to a halt until you complete a certain objective, you are unable to sell anything you manufacture, or the majority of alien tech for that matter. That was a major source of income in the original, with the monthly council funding being necessary in the long term, you could stay alive if you were low on cash by selling corpses and plasma weaponry. Here you can still sell alien corpses, but at a ridiculously low price. You'll sometimes get ship components, damaged ones have little value and intact components are necessary for high-level manufacturing and are hard to come by, so it'd be pointless to sell something you need.

I know I'm just nit-picking, but there are just so many things wrong with this game that could have easily been worked out. Take the chance-to-hit rolls for example. Wait, did I say rolls? lolno, X:COM decides who lives and who dies before the mission even starts. "The sequence of hit and misses will be, 1 hit, 2 misses, 2 hits, 1 miss, 3 hits, 4 misses, 1 hit, 1 miss, 2 hits, 1 miss, 1 hit..." It's fate. There is no rolling system. 5% chance to hit? 95% Chance to hit? 40% chance to hit? They're all the same. If you re-load a save it will still be the same. An alien will move to the exact same square, fire the same shots, and hit you the same number of shots. At least in the original There was a short algorithm for calculating shot hits and damage, not here. Not worth your time, you can get the original for 4.99 USD retail price and it's vastly superior. Who cares if the graphics aren't current generation? That's the only downside. If you like strategy/micromanagement, it's the perfect game for you.

/rant
  32. Nov 21, 2012
    This is quite a good movie... what? its a game? No strategy element - You just click buttons and it tells you what to do. This game is so dumbed down. Players nowadays don't want to think longer than 3 seconds. Firaxis, First you ruined Civ and now you ruined X-COM. Im never going to buy another product from you again, although you probably don't care now that you sold your soul. If youThis is quite a good movie... what? its a game? No strategy element - You just click buttons and it tells you what to do. This game is so dumbed down. Players nowadays don't want to think longer than 3 seconds. Firaxis, First you ruined Civ and now you ruined X-COM. Im never going to buy another product from you again, although you probably don't care now that you sold your soul. If you smoke weed and live in your parents basement, this game is for you. Expand
  33. Oct 15, 2012
    The fact this game could have easily been done on a PSX3 (maybe even the PSX2) says a lot for its lack of tactical depth or content. The fact that its got far too many bugs (I sure *hope* their bugs) for a turn-based game says even more. From what I know of the original, this is at most "XCOM Lite" with five-year old graphics. It feels rushed and I'm afraid that much of the game wasThe fact this game could have easily been done on a PSX3 (maybe even the PSX2) says a lot for its lack of tactical depth or content. The fact that its got far too many bugs (I sure *hope* their bugs) for a turn-based game says even more. From what I know of the original, this is at most "XCOM Lite" with five-year old graphics. It feels rushed and I'm afraid that much of the game was held back as DLC - the next few weeks will surely tell. But the single biggest problem is the AI. Even on "easy" its no cakewalk, because the bugs are present regardless of difficulty level. These flaws give the AI ridiculous advantages, such as being able to target you when you can't target it back. I've lost count of the times a squad member was hit by multiple foes and when my turn came to fire I was greeted with "no targets available" - and the enemy hadn't moved an inch. Sometimes enemy grenades come through closed doors, which you can't see or shoot through. I've watched aliens move a full turn, shoot and wound one of my guys, then move another full turn and finish him off. The Floaters are particularly awful with their ability to jet-jump across half the level. Take away it cheats and the AI is still reasonably smart, but that seems due mostly to its omniscient knowledge of the battlefield. All the enemies are pre-placed at mission start, and don't move until you stumble upon them. You won't see them before they see you because there's no "sneak" ability in this remake. Even "overwatch" is a tactically kind of pointless because enemies can see everything at all times. In fact, there's virtually no tactical abilities to speak of beyond minor defense and offense buffs that would be more at home in World of Warcraft than XCOM. Even certain gear has been rendered pointless, like frag grenades, which only rob you of valuable salvage and do no more damage to most enemies than a weapon crit. You can only carry one anyway. Your characters have an incredibly limited gear loadout..I didn't play the original XCOM but surely you could have more than one offensive grenade, or a grenade AND some extra armor? There are also various oddities that have an ironic comedy value, like the random audio warnings your troops bellow out. "Their moving to flank!" as the enemy digs in, or "their pulling back" as the enemy rushes towards you - you'll laugh, you'll sigh, you'll reload your game. A lot. And that's another sore point because each time you load a game it takes a little longer than the time before, maxing out for me at around 50 seconds on a fast AMD system with an SSD and 8gb of RAM. The camera in multi-level structures seems to fight you much of the time, constantly jumping between levels for no apparent reason. I've also heard about issues with armor being removed from troops who've just returned to active duty after recovering from wounds. Most of the character dialog is 80's cartoon quality, although sometimes is rises above. The descriptions of the technologies you're researching are actually fairly believable near-future jargon: geeks shouldn't feel compelled to nitpick. I was disappointed in the complete lack of air battle renders, however, since every mission shows them repeatedly. Its also funny to land in Africa and be surrounded by American-looking cars and sort-of-English writing. A bit more variety in models and levels would have been a major immersion builder: I've seen five different environments in two dozen missions. Its not all bad news, though. XCOM succeeds in atmosphere - you can cut the tension with a laser cannon (esp. when you know how easily your people can die). There's real potential in this game, but it needs bugs squashed, more set dressing and a little more depth and a AI rebalancing. I'd definitely wait for the first major patch, which could well fix a lot of what's wrong with this title. Expand
  34. Oct 15, 2012
    Quite literally, this is X-Com Lite. It basically has taken every portion of the OG X-Com and watered it down to a super simplified level. Compared to games like JA2, Silent Storm, Fallout Tactics, etc...the tactics portion is laughably simplified. Tactics consist primarily of move, shoot...or just shoot. Some special techniques allow for a bit more variety, but with only twoQuite literally, this is X-Com Lite. It basically has taken every portion of the OG X-Com and watered it down to a super simplified level. Compared to games like JA2, Silent Storm, Fallout Tactics, etc...the tactics portion is laughably simplified. Tactics consist primarily of move, shoot...or just shoot. Some special techniques allow for a bit more variety, but with only two movement options, the game is severely limited. The LoS is simply RNG all the way, and cover is pretty much a joke. There is no true cover, it's just numbers. Aliens repeatedly shoot through cover, as well as drop in on you (floaters) even through solid objects like the roof. Although the original game had RNG, this game simply pores it on heavily.

Instead of being a game about skill and tactics, it's simply a dice-rolling game. Flanking is broken in many ways, as well, and the UI is absolutely horrid for the PC.

As mentioned, every other portion of the OG, has been taken, and watered down. The inventory system is a joke, you can only sell alien components and bodies without the ability to sell your useless old inventory. Many items for your craft are simply one-time affairs that you will need to continually produce to use. The Archive Research is very sparse and the item graphics are tiny and inconsequential.

In fact, compared to the OG, this is simply a scripted, choose-your-own adventure. UFOs in the original game actually had purpose, you could track them, watch them setup bases, watch them supply them, watch them stage terror attacks if you killed too many ships, and actually had to worry about being attacked at your base. This new iteration leads you on a scripted path through the game that is simply not going to be able to provide the unlimited replay value of the original.

Truthfully, this is a beautiful, hopped up version of X-Com with every single complexity watered down for a simple audience. When the preferred way to play on the PC is with a controller, you know what you can expect. It's a fun game...but it's nowhere near to being as good as the original.

Very, very disappointing.
  35. Oct 27, 2012
    There are good things and bad things in this game but bad things overwhelm the good ones:

-the choice of reducing the party to 4 members at start is too much restrictive, this also aggravates another problem with the randomness of the game, losing a man is too easy in the early game with a lucky alien hit and with so few men, losing 1 is much much important -the choice of having so

-the choice of having so few hp on your men is very bad and makes the game less strategic and tactical since every situation is basically dead or alive, they should have implemented more partial hits, injuries to legs and arms and stuff like that, and less criticals and coma and instant death

-maps are too small and linear and once you understand them you lose a lot of feeling of the old xcom, it seems all much scripted

-the strategy and managerial part of the game is basically absent, once you figure out the 2 3 best moves to do the replayabilty is nearly 0, you have to manage your base in the same boring way, and also so many structures are useless

-research is very boring and linear, and since its not balanced you basically can research everything without putting any effort into it

So in the end the tactical combats are decent, and fun for a while but the lack of strategic elements makes the game fall down soon and there are really not many reason to play again like there were in the original xcom, it feels like it is a one time adventure.
  36. Oct 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like this game.

But I can't help feeling that it should have been so much more. Had it not been hyped as a re-imagining of the original, beloved UFO: Enemy Unknown I probably wouldn't feel quite as let-down. As it stands, while there is much that is good about this game (I actually found myself warming to the smaller squad sizes in combat, despite this being one of my greatest initial concerns) there are nonetheless, many things that smack of a lack of effort

I really do not like the new engineering and research model, through which I can only build laser rifles (for example) if I have the requisite minimum number of engineers on staff. Huh? I should be able to research or build stuff regardless of how many scientists or engineers I have! - just make it take longer to achieve results - like it did in the original. This in an unnecessary mechanic and an annoyingly artificial way of stunting the player's advancement.

At a strategic level, it all feels very 'linear'. One of the best things about UFO was the way that - at the very least one had an impression of freedom.

Combat is a mixed bag - it retains some of the suspense of the original and eliminates those annoying hunts-for-the-last-alien by including a nifty little feature which has your team sometimes getting a clue as to the enemy's location by having them hear movement during the alien turn. Yet it cannot be denied that it is hugely simplified. No inventories, set classes, no choice on the type of shot (auto, snap or aimed replaced by 'fire') and perhaps most importantly the character statistics which were so vitally important in the original appear to have been discarded entirely. The 'overwatch' read - opportunity fire - ability no longer relies on the character's reaction stat to determine if and when they fire during an alien's movement - they simply open fire.

Getting read of action points/time units makes for a more fluid, fast-paced tactical experience but it also diminishes a lot of the scope for freedom. I do not like the fact that someone can move and fire while a character who stays put the entire turn can still only fire once. Then there are the problems others have mentioned such as only being able to fire at aliens. You cannot activate the 'fire' command unless there is a visible bad guy to shoot. What's the point of having a destructible environment if you can't wantonly blow it to pieces?!?!?

Despite all this, as I said as the start, I do actually like this game. Whether that is a sad indictment of the dearth and quality of strategy titles available today or because it's a good title in its own right only time will tell.

I'd give this a 7 if taken as a one-off but only a 4 if viewed as part of the UFO/XCOM family (so, yeah, a 5 overall - go figure).
  37. Nov 29, 2012
    At the time of submitting this review there was 629 positive reviews and 87 negative reviews, this will be the 88th negative review, I dont know how 629 positive reviews made it in here, probably newcomers that never experienced the pioneer legend that is the original XCOM. the xcom remake from Firaxis released in 2012 is an insult, it is a cash grab, it does not honor the originalAt the time of submitting this review there was 629 positive reviews and 87 negative reviews, this will be the 88th negative review, I dont know how 629 positive reviews made it in here, probably newcomers that never experienced the pioneer legend that is the original XCOM. the xcom remake from Firaxis released in 2012 is an insult, it is a cash grab, it does not honor the original game, is is a husk of the former game. In several interviews, dev blogs and news updates the devs clearly stated they were going to improve on the initial game, that they were fans of the original, they knew what fans wanted and had been listening to them for years etc, and bla bla bla their life was changed because of that XCOM original ALL LIES, all hype built to increase sales. Talk about apples, apples apples apples and more apples, and on the day of release they effin release an ORANGE. They exploited the XCOM name to make themselves rich, they simplified everything and took customization away from the original, this game was rushed to the market, and is not worth it, do not buy this game, replay value is nil, streamlined storyline, linear to the max, very very dissapointed, damn you greedy cash grabs STOP ruining legendary masterpieces, 629 positive reviews ? are you guys on crack ? Expand
  38. Apr 20, 2013
    It's pretty, but it's not much of a game. They stripped the original gameplay down to bare bones, then tacked on a ton of Hollywood glitz.

It seemed like they would have preferred to make a movie. XCOM:EU is great when it comes to voice acting, swooshy camera movements, and scary hissing aliens. There's not much plot and the characters are paper-thin, but it has excellent low-level production values such as animation, art, and sound effects. The gameplay is merely a way to make you sit still so that you can appreciate how much work they put into the visuals.
  39. Aug 28, 2013
    Let me explain the points i have given this game: 9 or 10 for the combat parts. 0 or 1 for the "administrative" parts. The combat scenarios are fun, exiting and looks great, but to get to them you have to manage your company (yes X-Com is now a modern company with shareholders and marketing strategies controlling EVERY aspect of your actions). If I wanted this I would get a job as a middleLet me explain the points i have given this game: 9 or 10 for the combat parts. 0 or 1 for the "administrative" parts. The combat scenarios are fun, exiting and looks great, but to get to them you have to manage your company (yes X-Com is now a modern company with shareholders and marketing strategies controlling EVERY aspect of your actions). If I wanted this I would get a job as a middle management executive!! Most of the aspects are locked and incredibly boring and unrealistic. How that part of the game was even released is a BIG mystery to me. And I am not the only one saying this, EVERYONE I have talked to about this IRL says the same thing: Fun combat, RETARDED non-combat parts.

I am sure the game has made someone rich since the first part of the game is great and many have bought the game on that first impression (as we do), but after 30 days NOONE talked about it any more.

My wish is that Firaxis Games would take that combat engine+graphics and make a real game based on that. I see many cool aspects to creating a real X-Com game, not jsut this...slop.
  40. Aug 21, 2013
    It is probably wise to formulate an opinion about a game after all the hype is gone, and mind is more or less free of enhanced commercialism and subjectively stereotypical advertisement which are hypocritically aimed at a “specific consumer group”. With this in mind, let me jump to my opinion of the game “XCOM Enemy Unknown”.
    THE BAD:
    1. I am playing Patch 3, and the game is very buggy
    THE BAD:
    1. I am playing Patch 3, and the game is very buggy still: sometimes the cinematic slow-motion slows down to such a crawling speed that a restart of the game is required (forced task end); when I change the Race of a soldier, the Hair style inevitably changes as well, and in a few clicks choses a Helmet, so the face of the soldier is not visible; when a Sniper is using a grappling hook, she can jump to unreachable places (going through the ceiling of the UFO, for example) and gets stock there; after reviving a critically wound soldier, my soldiers are unable to move (happens rarely, but still). I could go on listing minor bugs that plague this game, which at this point should really be a polished joy ride.
    2. The game is not polished (as stated above), and its sharp corners keep poking you while you are trying to dive into its atmosphere: the explanations of items (weapons, armor, vehicles, etc.) are very vague some of them being actually incorrect at all (for an example refer to Arc Weapon on XCOM WiKi); when selling items on Grey Market, you cannot input numbers and need to click (however many times) on the arrow, selling items one-by-one, which is a major turn down when you have 700 Elirium, and want to sell 300 (the math in clicks is obvious); when a Soldier levels up, his uniform color changes, resetting to some default; there is no random generator really (but mods do fix this nuance) which might or might not be a problem, but when you perform an action, and later Load a saved game that action will always-always-always yield the same result, even when approached with different strategy (so let’s say you want to capture an alien, and your Arc weapon misses if you Load a saved game, and try it with a different soldier, or both soldiers you will NOT subdue the Alien, because AI has decided that the Alien will not be paralyzed in this game); again, I can go on, but the point remains this is far from a polished game.
    3. Atmosphere and Mood of the XCOM Series: the atmosphere borders between a Serious Strategy and a Childish Hentai, and accomplished none in the end. Seems the game was designed in order to cover the widest playing group possible, and thus lacks essence, dedication, and a focused approached aimed at the unique quality of this series. There is no haunting mood, feeling of constant danger and glooming doom, smell of secret societies, spreading panic, mystery, and so on there is also an xBox-style button-presser, with soldiers in Pink Uniforms, cut scenes with energetic Anime aliens (Rated for Every one), and bulky, shapeless weapons. The game tries to make everyone happy (as, unfortunately, is the case with most titles today) and comes out a mediocre stereotypical improved clone of its own glorious original of the past.
    4. Random Soldier specialization: yeah. I think I know where the designers are coming from with this but I wish I could turn that feature off.
    THE GOOD:
    1. Strategy and Tactics: are ok but very predictable and repetitive. The strategic overview of the Base and Earth is nicely executed, and all decisions are somewhat balanced. I say somewhat because that is what they are (remember unpolished?), but with some Mods the game becomes a very well thought-through strategy. Tactics are also improved with mods, but I like them as they are: you move your squad (of up to 6 people) in a turned-based combat, shooting or capturing aliens, saving civilians, destroying trees! Special abilities of soldiers make the approach of each unit and the team overall pretty unique to your playing style.
    2. A very nice game to play still. Don’t get me wrong there a good sides and bad sides, and this game is a good game, but definitely not a 9/10 as I see everywhere. Fun to play, fun to research, fun to make money, sad to lose good soldiers (even though random specialists they were!). Fun mediocre gam which lacks atmosphere.
    3. MODABLE! And that is very important: there are many good mods to XCOM Enemy Unknown, which improve it, rebalance it, and make it even prettier.
    OVERALL: Good game. 7/10. Wish it was not aimed at the AVERAGE GROUP but at the dedicated XCOM Gamers and people who respect a good tactical turn-based and appreciate the depth of UFO conspiracies.
  41. Nov 28, 2012
    To keep this short: It was an interesting game and caught my attention pretty quickly at the start. I enjoyed playing through it but It's not the type of game where I personally would keep coming back to.
  42. Aug 31, 2013
    The game has two very different parts that work together to create an interesting game. Or at least should. The original game did it well and it was a lot of fun.
    This game doesn't. There is next to no strategy in the strategic part. Sure, you select what to research, but the order of research is just about the only decision you can make here. And it doesn't matter much. As long as you don't forget to research, you'll get everything before long. It's boring. Repetitive. And the interface that makes certain tasks, like changing the soldiers for the next mission and equipping them, slow and cumbersome and getting where you want to go with the mouse isn't always easy.
    But let's talk about what the game isn't. A game should be scored on what it is, not what you expected.

The storyline of the game is simple, extremely linear, and boring. There's no room for variation, making replaying the game a chore. It wouldn't be so bad, if the game wasn't so damn short; I finished it in two evenings.
    The tactical part of the game is challenging, but the bugs break it. There are Line of Sight errors. Elevation causes problems. Slopes aren't handled correctly but are common. There are camera problems when dealing with multiple floors. And the camera goes mad if you try to throw grenades or shoot missiles.
    Okay, I can accept that at launch. Now, almost a year later, those bugs are still not fixed.
    That means I can't give it more that 4/10. Too many too severe bugs.
    Add the questionable decision of granting aliens a free move when you see them (for what reason? It adds nothing to the game and makes no sense), the very limited amount of maps, the very limited amount of variation in the missions, and the non-comprehensible decision to disallow targeting objects even with area suppression weapons lowers to score further.
    It can be fun for a few hours, but it had the potential to be great. Given the alternatives available don't know if even the ten bucks I spent on it were worth it.
  43. Oct 13, 2012
    This is a ok action game but its a poor xcom game.I played the game for many hours and felt that i never got to enjoy the game play, most of the reason was the camera whiche was very poorly implemented. But my biggest problem with this game was that combat got boaring the more i played. The maps where not scary, and lacked soul. If you are a pereson who like action i can recomend thisThis is a ok action game but its a poor xcom game.I played the game for many hours and felt that i never got to enjoy the game play, most of the reason was the camera whiche was very poorly implemented. But my biggest problem with this game was that combat got boaring the more i played. The maps where not scary, and lacked soul. If you are a pereson who like action i can recomend this game. But if you are looking for a grate turened based game, you will be very disappointed in this game.

The constant chattering of the units get boring fast. The units dont represent the contry they are from. My chinees sniper is american im think og sending him on a solo misson to get rid of him. And that is also som of the problem for this game. Its to muche like an american action movie, and not a realy good one at that. If you are ufo fan youll need to play this game only to find out you dont like it. If you dont know xcom this might be a very good game for you.

I am a huge x xom fan so xcom:enemy unkown gets 6/10
  44. Oct 22, 2012
    Firaxis really dropped the ball, even more than they did on Civ V. The NPC dialog is like a bad 80's cartoon, the game is unbelievably limited - I've played free games that had more options, more realism and more depth. The alien designs are either stolen from other games or are just plain stupid. Seriously, wait till you see the ravagers...you'll think you're back in Dranei land! AndFiraxis really dropped the ball, even more than they did on Civ V. The NPC dialog is like a bad 80's cartoon, the game is unbelievably limited - I've played free games that had more options, more realism and more depth. The alien designs are either stolen from other games or are just plain stupid. Seriously, wait till you see the ravagers...you'll think you're back in Dranei land! And you'll learn to hate those f*#kers because until you develop the most powerful armor there is no defense against their TWO instant kill attacks. Oh and did I mention that its impossible to get the jump on enemies because they dont roam around..they just wait like land mines till you find them. Then they just keep flanking you, and if they cant they hide and wait for you. There's no stealth abilities. Hell you can't even carry multiple grenades until you've gottten 3 or 4 promotions!! This game is beyond stupid, its NOTHING like XCOM. The graphics look like something from 2003, the controls are flaky and the camera will make you wanna kill yourself. And if by some miracle you can actually win against the uber-cheating AI, you'll get the weakest ending since ME3. DO NOT BUY. Expand
  45. Nov 20, 2012
    Terrible game, full of glitches and annoying AI tactics. The main flaw being the "2 turn" system in battles. Because making any movement takes a full action, scouting is almost impossible without alerting whole squads of enemies unless you move forward 1 tile at a time. This means you do not get a chance to react to any enemies you encounter, in fact the enemies get a free turn when theyTerrible game, full of glitches and annoying AI tactics. The main flaw being the "2 turn" system in battles. Because making any movement takes a full action, scouting is almost impossible without alerting whole squads of enemies unless you move forward 1 tile at a time. This means you do not get a chance to react to any enemies you encounter, in fact the enemies get a free turn when they enter your vision resulting in unfair situations were they'll move TWICE as far as they should be able to, while you sit there unable to take shots until the aliens have spread out and disappeared. Worse yet is when the aliens scout for you, if they come across you on their own turn THEY GET TO GO AGAIN. This results in many ambush situations you could never predict. When a melee character can kill you in 1 or 2 hits, you'll be screaming as you watch him clear the entire map to walk right up and kill your men that are hiding behind useless cover. Speaking of cover, it's almost 90% destructible as well meaning even in well placed areas all they'll have to do is attack you once to destroy your protection and another for guaranteed hits leaving your only option to never use any area you think might break apart. This is an issue because the aliens have you greatly outnumbered and you can't have yourself wasting turns attacking walls while they can. The camera system is garbage too, walls are only see through while your mouse is over them and good luck grappling onto roof tops, the camera only elevates 3 levels so climbing inside ships results in the game being unable to tell where you want to go usually pointing you towards the floor below you (this isn't a problem in more open maps but very frustrating for snipers). All in all, this game would be so much better if the battle system wasn't so grossly in the enemies favor, even playing on normal mode expect to constantly lose men or be forced to quicksave every turn. (Speaking of saves, autosave doesn't save at mission start AND saves every time someone dies or takes damage. So when you want to avoid mistakes, you must make sure to reload IMMEDIATELY before it overwrites your auto save in 1 or 2 turns). Expand
  46. Dec 27, 2012
    After about 3 hours of my life into this game I cannot go on with it. The art, ridiculous. Who throws grenades the size of a mango? That's not practical. Who holds guns half the size of their body? These guys, apparently. I feel like I'm playing a child's game but filled with gore and guts. Perhaps they're only targeting child-like adults with this game, Even the dialogue was terrible andAfter about 3 hours of my life into this game I cannot go on with it. The art, ridiculous. Who throws grenades the size of a mango? That's not practical. Who holds guns half the size of their body? These guys, apparently. I feel like I'm playing a child's game but filled with gore and guts. Perhaps they're only targeting child-like adults with this game, Even the dialogue was terrible and made me want to vomit. I really did not like this game and I never really played the old XCOM series either so I'm not running any sort of comparison between them. I don't understand what other people see in this game. It may have been good for them, but I definitely don't plan on hanging around wasting my time... Perhaps I am too logical a person and have "been there" and "done that" far too much to enjoy this game. Expand
  47. Dec 15, 2012
    The game looks good. But that´s it. This is not a X-Com game at all. You can clearly see, that its made for console. Nearly every strategic element was erased. And to make it worst. The maps are not randomly generated. So you have to play the same maps again and again and again and again.... and again and again and again ... zzz ZZZ zzz ... and again and again and again and again...The game looks good. But that´s it. This is not a X-Com game at all. You can clearly see, that its made for console. Nearly every strategic element was erased. And to make it worst. The maps are not randomly generated. So you have to play the same maps again and again and again and again.... and again and again and again ... zzz ZZZ zzz ... and again and again and again and again... zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ... and again and again .... zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz .... and again .... zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZzzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZzzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZzzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZzzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZzzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ... Expand
  48. Mar 10, 2013
    I had high hopes for this remake of this classic. Unfortunately this is yet another wasted opportunity, Firaxis has struck out again (I also disliked Civ 5, Civ 4 was much better).
    I don't mind the dumbing down of gameplay if what was left in was well designed. But the game is a disaster horrible interface, average graphics and a really bad AI that cheats in frustrating ways. Civ 5 had an overly complex interface that looked pretty but wasn't very functional, the XCOM interface doesn't even manage to look nice. I would have preferred a single screen for each soldier that shows everything about the soldier their equipment, stats, abilities etc. Instead, in different parts of the game I see different information, and some is always missing or hard to access. So much button clicking, so many ugly game screens.
    I wish Firaxis would just sell the rights to these classics to a developer that has some talented designers/programmers. They obviously have none themselves and it's a shame to waste these licenses.
  49. Jan 6, 2013
    A beautiful game, in which you're of no use: the dice are loaded and whatever you do, the game will take you wherever it wants to. Strategy? Useless. Tactics? Don't think about it. Enjoy the wonderful graphics, the repetitive animations and the slow turns. Worth $20, not $40.
  50. Oct 23, 2012
    After more than a decade of waiting, I must say that XCOM: Enemy Unknown managed to satisfy my palate. The graphics and art style look good and the gameplay although simplified, still made it fun. Especially liked the ability to customize your soldier right down to the nicknames. The armour, weapons and the way your soldier(s) moved made them look really badass!
    On the downside, the
    On the downside, the lackluster storyline and no aliens attacking your base brought this game down a notch. After the final cutscene, all I could do was go " That's it...?" I sincerely think the storyline and ending could have been better. Overall a good game, worth playing and worth every penny.
  51. Oct 17, 2012
    I have bought the game as I am/was a huge fan of the original series and because I am an old school gamer (36 year old). I have obviously finished the game after playing furiously and I have this sensation of emptiness...
    Opinion:
    Opinion:
    Short, easy and somewhat poor AI, because as the difficulty increases basically the AI cheats by lowering your % of hit on enemies. Very dumbed down version of the original , mainly to suit mainstream console gameplay and as long as you have 6 guys in squad, anything combination works as the games is fairly linear. Also poor graphics on PC version. This is not 1999 anymore and we deserve better texture packs and a lot better quality on cutscenes.
    As mentioned before by other users, there is a script decided before every mission starts (after you launch it) on which all the hits and miss of your team have already been setup. You can save and load 1001 times and the results will be exactly the same. This is not strategy this is watching an interactive slideshow. They have just removed all the char stats from affecting the game and they are just there for cosmetic value.
    Despite all this still a fun game to play through on a weekend on normal difficulty, a week on classic and 10 years on Impossible :P
    Buy at your own risk (you will be disappointed if you played the original)
  52. Oct 30, 2012
    This is a butchery of the original x-com, at first glance the game seems really good. Hell it even hooked me, but the further you get it seems like you just further enter a cave filled with **** What an epic failure, if you liked the original this will spit in your face and say **** you i got money you didn't"
    However on its own admittedly this game is a decent Turn based strategy game.
    However on its own admittedly this game is a decent Turn based strategy game. But since it has the name x-com on it, it simply blows donkey balls.
  53. Oct 21, 2012
    Just finished the game and my thoughts were ... it was ok.

Just finished the game and my thoughts were ... it was ok.

The tactical battles were pretty well handled and the skills generally well balanced but the camera was a nightmare. And although I didnt particularly miss the Time Units system, I dont think the run and gun system worked THAT well. A soldier standing still should be able to fire more than one taking a move. I did also miss the different kinds of shot you could use (Rapid, free fire and aim). But for the most part they were generally engaging.

Everything else though ... well it was just so cut down.

The base was boring as sin. The only buildings (Other than quest buildings) I built were the satelites and power.

There were only two kinds of ship, three types of gun per class (Excluding support), two types of grenades and the rocket launcher was a bit bland as well (Though it made a great tactical choice in battles)

Having said that, the different classes were all really useful and different enough from each other that I fielded a fairly decent variety of soldiers on the battlefield. I still would have prefferred to choose what guns and equipment my soldiers had rather than having them forced onto me bya a class system.

So IMO the research, although fairly accurately taken from the original, was very dull. The only surprises were when something wasnt in the research tree. I understand this is mainly due to the cut down inventory system but half way through the game I found myself not caring about what I researched anymore.

Talking of the inventory system. I would say this was my least favourite part of it. 4 items (5 if a skill is unlocked for Support) of kit which i found noticably limiting throughout the whole game, right from the start.

The other part i really didnt like was the complete opposites of quality between the tactical battles and the openworld map. I realise this is even more subjective than the rest of my thoughts but, it felt to me like there were few choices or meaningful paths to go. Your herded into a choice of three abduction missions and then, seeminly at random, other missions come to play. At certain points in the game you are told to do something to continue the plot. It kind of felt to me like there was no point to that part of the game at all. It wouldnt have played much different if they had just given you 100 similar missions and allowed you to level up your men inbetween each mission. Which, IMO, goes completely against what UFO: Enemy unknown was about.

I only played on Classic, but the original felt like a far more personalised struggle.

In UFO: Enemy Unknown, I felt like it was my game. My world under attack and my plans, that failed or succeeded. In XCOM, it really wasnt. There was just a very slim line of paint telling me it was, which was easily washed off after a few missions.

Having said that there were some parts which were far better. The squaddie customization, although not great, was certainly far far better than any other game of its type. It was really refreshing to have all my soldiers looking different on the battlefield. The graphics were also pretty good and the battles did come alive. An impressive feat for a turn based game.

I also didnt mind the cutscenes or hero cam which were quite subtly done.

The pace was too fast, not really allowing me to enjoy any of the (Too few) research breakthroughs I had.

Lastly I feel they should get an award for managing to make the worst part of UFO: Enemy Unknown EVEN worse. The interceptor fights were atrocious. Laughably so. With just two ships, and your bog standard weapons. There were no tactical choices, battle variety or anything else.

So to finish. I will say the game was fun, I dont feel like I was ripped off for buying it at full price, and I had fun playing. The game was too short, too stream lined and the strategic battles were really the only part which I think had a lot of thought put into it. I dont think this game will ever win any awards but it certainly wasnt terrible either.
  54. Oct 18, 2012
    So i was about to buy this game for the xbox 360. Thanks to a friend of mine, he lend me his pc-version to first test the game. Thanks!
    I would never ever pay 60
  55. Oct 14, 2012
    As a fan of turnbased games I really appreciate this game. A very solid game overall. After all I just think that they wasted a lot of potential in this game, in terms of character progression, different level styles and tactical possibilities.
  56. Oct 14, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review

I came in thinking that Firaxis was just giving us the original XCOM with a slick graphics upgrade. I was pleased and saddened by some of the changes to the original formula of the game. After finishing XCOM:Enemy Unknown on Classic I can say that Firaxis did a commendable job, but it is very apparent that much of the old gameplay that gave the original a tense, tactical feel was taken away in favor of a more streamlined approach. Graphics and Sound:

The graphics have a feel that seems to fit the original look of the game. The special effects and sounds for the weapons fit the game very well and definitely sell the game. The switching camera angles can also invoke a sense of achievement or trepidation depending on if you're seeing one your soldiers gunning down an alien or a new deadly group of aliens coming into view. Sometimes enemies will appear to stand on thin air and there seem to be clipping issues with some flying enemies becoming stuck in ceilings and being completely invisible unless you blow the roof away. These aren
  57. Oct 18, 2012
    As a fan of the X-COM franchise I was all eager to get my hands onto this game finally. Long story short: If the (3D-)graphics wouldn't be so nice, this would be a major disappointment. In the traditional X-COM games I loved the variety of options I have, and the simplicity yet power of the user interface. In XCOM:Enemy Unknown on the other hand I feel extremely limited, up to the point ofAs a fan of the X-COM franchise I was all eager to get my hands onto this game finally. Long story short: If the (3D-)graphics wouldn't be so nice, this would be a major disappointment. In the traditional X-COM games I loved the variety of options I have, and the simplicity yet power of the user interface. In XCOM:Enemy Unknown on the other hand I feel extremely limited, up to the point of having the feeling that most of steps I have to make to be successful are pretty pre-defined (and not hard to figure out), e.g. order of research. The above mentioned user interface is clearly inferior to the traditional X-COM games: things are well hidden, you click too often, mouse- and keyboard-input are somewhat not streamlined (aparently optimized for gamepads rather). A consequence of both shortcomings is that I feel less attached to "my crew", "my station" and "my mission".

Another - for me personally - really big downside is that simply destroying stuff (buildings, etc.) is happening far less and has far less strategical meaning than in the original games. Yes, it looks nicer, but in the old days you could really blow up an UFO from afar with 4 guys using rocket launchers if you wanted to. No more today.

Don't get me wrong, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is not a bad game, but that is a consequence of the timeless game concepts. Sadly, Firaxis failed to pick up on the huge opportunity to bring this to the next generation - despite the very nice 3D-graphics everything else seems to have been cut down, simplified/banalized and not thought through.

It will make you play it once with a lot of joy, but it will not make you love it for months and play it over and over again as the good old XCOM from 1983.
  58. Oct 7, 2013
    at first i played it and it really sucked. its not x-com or aftershock or aftermath,

once i came to terms with this i gave it a fair go, none expectationally like before. I started to have a really good time, soldier development is great. i really wanted them to live and they get really cool nicknames depending on their heroic encounters, kinda awesome. its full of awesomeness really.

i did not notice the 'sucky AI' i never get gamers who demand perfection, like xcom had perfect AI it was easy to outsmart a grey with bug exploits etctec. its a freakin game you guys need to learn to use you imagination a little. i mean in a movie when captain fantastic goes all rubbery and wraps around dr doom you say wow that is so unrealistic that would never happen in real life, no you use a thing called initiative and try to accept that while a movie it has limitations and they rest is your problem.

anyway like i said it was good. for mabey six hours... then i chuffing finished it.

Ill never play it again theres nothing there... tooo play. i wish i hadnt bought it its kinda like a waste of time, dont get me wrong its good and fun when you commit. but them its over, poooof no replay value its more like a piece of junk, not xcom, good, but shorter than a fat guys appendage.

Disapointing.
  59. May 13, 2013
    Honestly the game is ok with graphics. They look nice, but they don't behave realistically. My soldiers panic all the time, and I fail missions constantly because of it. The aliens get too strong too quick. Am I the only one who missed flanking an alien with 100% hit chance?
    Anyways I deeply regret buying this game on steam.
  60. Oct 22, 2012
    Go in knowing that this game is designed to make you feel as much pain as they can, as a result the difficulty curve is nuts. You will go from all silly easy missions where you take almost no damage at all to an endless series of losing your whole team forcing you to reload saves over and over until you work out some way to beat the mission.

If you are attracted to games that require

If you are attracted to games that require replaying the same level 10 times in a row, then this is your game. If however you do not like being hit in the face with a hammer this is not your game.
  61. Apr 3, 2013
    Picking up weapons/medkits from fallen comrades, throwing weapons to eachother, psi abilities, crouching, different types of firing (scatter shot/aimed shot/burst fire), an inventory system for every player...

These are just a few of the things XCOM EU has left out of their game, and it seriously suffers from replayability for that. I about uninstalled the game when I found out I couldn't take a medkit from my critically wounded medic to heal him.

While the original was difficult and hard to get into, Enemy Unknown suffers from the opposite end of the spectrum endlessly 'streamlined' gameplay with very few paths or strategies to win the game
  62. Jan 16, 2013
    In the near future when aliens invade earth and start destroying everything they find you get put in charge of earths last stand; an organisation called Xcom. You get given a secret underground base which you are constantly expanding in order to combat the aliens from here you can send out satellites (which will track down enemy UFOs), build facilities, launch fighter planes (to take outIn the near future when aliens invade earth and start destroying everything they find you get put in charge of earths last stand; an organisation called Xcom. You get given a secret underground base which you are constantly expanding in order to combat the aliens from here you can send out satellites (which will track down enemy UFOs), build facilities, launch fighter planes (to take out UFOs) and send out troops to different parts of the world. As you progress further through the game you will find out more about the aliens and eventually travel to their mother ship and take out their leader.
    Xcom is a turn based strategy game in which you use guns to combat an alien threat which also includes blood so 12 is a pretty accurate rating for this game. The game can get very addictive when you play it and can leave you playing for hours but it can also be extremely frustrating at times for example if all your best troops get shot or if the games physics make no sense what so ever (unfortunately this happens quite a lot). Xcom can make you very angry at times but it can also improve your knowledge in strategic thinking over time.
    The gameplay of Xcom is a turn based strategy with simple movement and shooting based on chance the problem with the game is that there is so many glitches to do with the animations and objects in the world for example I have shot through solid objects way to many times to be just a glitch that they forgot about and the chances of shooting aliens make no sense whatsoever for example if you shoot at an alien behind heavy cover while standing right next to him you will not have as much chance as if you where shooting at him from behind while standing miles away
    My verdict on this is that it is a good game to play if you want to play for a long while if you don
  63. Dec 17, 2012
    A well polished turd.

A well polished turd.

Just like Fallout 3, just like Civ V, XCom Enemy Unknown looks great with smooth gameplay, and is boring as hell. If you know the original , this lame copy of the truly great original Xcom is not worth a jewel case purchase next year. The scenarios are way too easy, the multiplayer system is a joke, there is just non of the startling surprises and sneaky tactics that made the original such a fun game. If this is what major game review sites rank in the upper 90%, I'm only buying used games from this point forwards.forwards.
  64. Dec 29, 2012
    The game is boring. It adds nothing but new graphics. Its had all the strategy tactics and choices ripped out. Leaving just shallow game play. 10 hours in and the game became a chore to play.
  65. Oct 14, 2012
    Whatever this game is it's not X-Com the tactical lvl of the entire game is lacking to say the least if you ever played any of the old X-Com game such as Ufo: Enemy Unkown, X-Com Terror from the Deep or even X-Com Apocalypse you'd realise just how terrible streamlined and dummed down this game is.

To even call it X-Com is quite insulting.
  66. Nov 5, 2012
    A dumbed down console version of one of the greatest games ever. And it fails to even come close to matching the original design with its shallow strategic layer, gimmicky and repetitive tacticals, and missing critical content that was a hallmark of the success of the original. How the developers could have missed the clue boat when the original was there to be studied is beyond me. IA dumbed down console version of one of the greatest games ever. And it fails to even come close to matching the original design with its shallow strategic layer, gimmicky and repetitive tacticals, and missing critical content that was a hallmark of the success of the original. How the developers could have missed the clue boat when the original was there to be studied is beyond me. I would be ashamed to have my name associated with this piece of fluff. Expand
  67. Oct 27, 2012
    I was looking pretty much forward into playing this game as it woke memories from the past. I pre-purchased from Steam and went on to play as soon as it was launched.

The game has really nice graphics, only it has so many bugs I am currently stuck at the base after playing the tutorial. Reading 2k games forums, I am not alone. Its a big bummer to pay 50 EUR for a game and not get past the tutorial.

I have emailed steam, notified 2k games and never got a reply. Well my friendly suggestion to anyone is wait until price drops to 5.99 or the game is fixed because if you are unlucky enough to run into a bug your game is over.
  68. Nov 7, 2012
    No, no, no, no, NO! This game is terrible. 'Requires some brains and patience?!' said the USA Today. Hahaha This game is a very limp, vapid and pale imitation of the original. There is not depth, nor emotional connection to the characters and limited control akin to painting by numbers. This is a very real and very sad representation of what the games industry is all about today.No, no, no, no, NO! This game is terrible. 'Requires some brains and patience?!' said the USA Today. Hahaha This game is a very limp, vapid and pale imitation of the original. There is not depth, nor emotional connection to the characters and limited control akin to painting by numbers. This is a very real and very sad representation of what the games industry is all about today. Very similar to Hollywood. REBOOT! 'Hey what happened to the character development of the original?' 'Charawhat kid? Look at the explosions!!'
    'Yeah but the original had depth and a story line to it'
    'Depth? Look at the boobs on that generic female co-star' Pathetic.
  69. Oct 18, 2012
    Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it'sPlaying XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it's all over, you begin to wonder why you ever lost touch all these years to begin with. 9.5/10 -- Solid execution, atmosphere, mechanics, and enough twists that this title isn't just a retread, it stands on its own two feet. Expand
  70. Oct 18, 2012
    It is good game (as good any game in almost forgotten genre), but... it is not a "true" XCom. Another failed remake. Its more like xcom themed tactical jrpg. Simplified and shallowed. Size of squad is too small for serious tactical decisions. Flanking is pure rubbish in end-game: you cann't 1-shot most of enemies and it is a great risk to loss your own man. Grenades, combat drugs areIt is good game (as good any game in almost forgotten genre), but... it is not a "true" XCom. Another failed remake. Its more like xcom themed tactical jrpg. Simplified and shallowed. Size of squad is too small for serious tactical decisions. Flanking is pure rubbish in end-game: you cann't 1-shot most of enemies and it is a great risk to loss your own man. Grenades, combat drugs are pretty useless in end-game too, its boost is not enough for wasting single slot. Multi leveled combat now in past: there is only 2 floor "earth" and 1 level above earth, between them is clear air. RIP, our last hope for resurrection of turn-based tactic games. It is was vain hope. Expand
  71. Oct 17, 2012
    XCom can be summed up with one word. Stupid. Each of the games mechanics is incredibly stupid, satellites relays only let you use 2 satellites (so Viking Era computers), you units despite being the best of the best could be out gunned by the average gun owner, the aliens tactics are practically none existent and the only challenge the game poses is when it blatantly cheats by having youXCom can be summed up with one word. Stupid. Each of the games mechanics is incredibly stupid, satellites relays only let you use 2 satellites (so Viking Era computers), you units despite being the best of the best could be out gunned by the average gun owner, the aliens tactics are practically none existent and the only challenge the game poses is when it blatantly cheats by having you soldiers miss or have aliens pull off shots that you could only hope to pull off at the end of the game with the best equipment and in your dreams.

Some of the mechanics actually do work like research and engineering but both leave you with few options and the only real challenge you will run into is running out of alloy or money which won't be awarded to you unless you have a satellite over a country.

Strangely though I don't hate the game and have garnered much enjoyment from the title but the game ultimately leaves you feeling underwhelmed and disappointing and left me wanting to play the 50s remake as that looked more intelligent and enjoyable.
  72. Oct 20, 2012
    They turned the franchise into a boring action-only game for consoles. No more strategic decision, game is dumbed down. If you liked the two predecessors do not even give it a try, you would be disappointed.
  73. Oct 16, 2012
    Cool game, but there is no way this deserves a 10. Way too little content in this game, with graphics relative simple it's seems a waste that there are so few locations. Overall the game feels rushed and buggy... On normal difficulty the game is also quite quick to complete even with everything researched and all environments played though several times. Fun but hardly AAA material.
  74. Oct 18, 2012
    Despite some minor issues like the consolized interface, XCOM Enemy Unknown is a worthy successor to the original XCOM game and one of the best strategy games I have played in a long time.
  75. Oct 17, 2012
    Please consider my rating an 8.5 (I'm a big fan of the idea of adding .5's to this system, and am still a bit confused how an overall user score of 8.1 can come about with everyone forced to give x.0 ratings. But that's neither here nor there.)

XCom: Enemy Unknown is a truly addicting gaming experience. Luckily (?) for this experience at least, I had not thoroughly played the original XCom back in the early 90's, so the lore of the game was new to me. Most of the negative reviews I've read are from people contrasting this game to the original. The game isn't without it's faults. There are some unusual bugs that pop up from time-to-time. A few have been very nearly game-killers (the inability to go through a door when the level has only one door you need to get your soldiers through, etc.) - but with so many firefight options (including later abilities to psionically control enemies) you can even get through the buggy levels. The other major negative I'd like to point out is the tedium that sets in after so many battles. One of the first things I'd like to see developed are new, more creative maps, because you do start seeing the same maps repeat over and over. While the levels are semi-random (you never really know where enemies or objectives are going to be located), the game play for any level is just the same. Locate the objective (usually a UFO to infiltrate, pedestrians to save, etc.), strategically place your soldiers in the most tactical positions, hunker down and shoot. What really makes this game for me is the building phase of the game. You are tasked with building facilities which allow you to construct new and varied weapons, armor, aircraft, satellites, and so forth. Your soldiers are constantly gaining experience with each fight, and although their skill trees aren't large (would love to see expansion here, too), it is ridiculously satisfying to level your crew up. With the ability to name and outfit them to your choosing, you really do feel like the CEO of a fighting machine. As such, you also become very invested with your troops, and when one drops in combat, it can be an emotional experience, because there are no reincarnations here. If a soldier dies, he dies for good. With that everlurking fear, how you strategically place troops on the battlefield becomes that much more important. You really do want to keep them alive. Watching a soldier fall who you've spent 20+ missions building up and training is excruciating, and can leave a serious hole in your roster. But crunch all you want, you'll build more! The graphics are really quite superb, I'm most impressed with the HQ build screen, a cut-away view of your facilities that is bustling with activity.

Even as I became a bit bored with the gameplay, I just couldn't quit, and still haven't, the game is definitely replayable thanks to a lot of random factors built-in. It's been a while since I'd purchased a game that became a MUST play after a day of work. And it's been a while since I've been so enchanted by the way a game works that I'm already hungering for additional content. If you can play this without thinking "Oh, this is dumbed-down version of the original", then you're in for a real treat. Buy this game, it's one of the good ones.
  76. Apr 5, 2013
    Thank god for demos!! Make sure you try the free demo on Steam before handing over the cash. As a hardcore strategy geek, I have been considering this one for a while, and have to say, I'm siding with the naysayers. Too much time spent on lame cut scenes, 'story', and other visual effects and way, way too little time spent on strategic depth. This is not a bingo. I had more fun playingThank god for demos!! Make sure you try the free demo on Steam before handing over the cash. As a hardcore strategy geek, I have been considering this one for a while, and have to say, I'm siding with the naysayers. Too much time spent on lame cut scenes, 'story', and other visual effects and way, way too little time spent on strategic depth. This is not a bingo. I had more fun playing Orcs Must Die than this tripe. Seriously lamenting the old school at this point. Expand
  77. Oct 17, 2012
    So here is a flawed gem.
    So here is a flawed gem.
    In so many ways true to the "spirit of the original" there *has* been dumbing down to streamline the gameplay (partly to cut down on 40 mins turns on the tactical map and massive complex infrastructure on the geoscape but clearly this has mostly been to fit the game on consoles) Gone are the big teams as sky ranger now only fits 6 (4 at start of the game) however the shiv tank is one slot now not 4, gone are having multiple bases worldwide although there are hangers for interceptors on each continent but only 1 skyranger at main base. Most of the soldiers stats are gone and AP's have been reduced to 2 (move and shoot, move and move or big move, there are some exceptions with the skill unlocks) And most of the toys have been locked into a soldier "class" speaking of which, the troops now are not general purpose grunts that have stats on every weapon type they are given classes early on which locks them into a weapon type (again less stats to worry about) and the inventory is locked in pre mission so if one of your guy drops (say your sniper) then no one else can pick up the sniper rifle.

And then there are the bugs.... OH so many bugs, this game could have done with at least a couple of months of QA and bug squashing. There's bugs with nearly every aspect of the game, some are just cosmetic amusements like xbox control highlights showing up on base GUI when you are running in mouse only mode, some impact gameplay such as making it difficult to accurately select the right tile to order a soldier to inside a UFO with multiple levels (they have a tendency to jump over the wall I want them to hide about and stand in the open on the other side on the lower level) and the UFO roofs tend to come in and obscure stuff forcing a camera rotate to see what you are doing and then there are bugs that can break the game outright such as the first time I played multiplayer my mate started to chat to me in my turn and then I killed one of his guys and his chat box broke stopping him from doing ANYTHING thus ending what was turning out to be a great little match, oh dear.

So why the high score? - Well the truth is the game is actually REALLY REALLY GOOD FUN!
    Yep, sure this game kind of makes the hardcore xcom fan in me rage a little that AP's are gone, the tactical was previously a "frightening foray into the unknown" and is now a chest high wall cover simulator (like playing a turn based gears of war) which sort of reduces it to a move here and cover creeping ambush style where as in the first xcom you would end up with a cluster**** of grunts all over the place trying to stay alive. So why is it so great? Difficult to pin down really, I mean on the technical side pacing is better, there is now genuine interaction with the environment (guys jump over walls, lean out around corners etc) and oddly enough the class based squad thing actually works (having spent so long with a mixed class team game like TF2 etc) and surprisingly enough although the inventory and multi role sides are gone out of the tactical side of the game it's actually LESS frustrating to play then the first (not sure at this point if that's just the 30 something me who is approaching it then the teenage me of the first game) as you get down to working with guys skills and abilities you have in the field.

You don't spend so long micromanaging your base(s) and the geoscape which was once the nerve centre of the game where you moved it round to select bases ufo's and missions is now a "click here for next event" button, that said there's still a robust tech tree to research, the usual autopsies and interrogations are present and correct and you still have to balance your finances between costs, expansion and getting new toys for your guys.
    Base building is quite interesting with adjacency bonuses forcing you to plan your base layout instead of just plonking anything anywhere and you have quite a lot of choice even if it's just a single base. Overall I can see where the die hard fans of the original game might be a little upset the changes that have been made make the game much more accessible to a larger demographic and by and large it actually pays off.
    I'm a real fan of the original but I for one am not disappointed in the game (apart from the bugs which I hope get patched out) - those that want to retread the original game with fancy graphics are served with the open source UFO AI game (also built on the unreal engine) which is also a great game and the contrasts are interesting to see as that game in a lot of ways is truer to the original XCOM then this is.
  78. Oct 14, 2012
    playing this game is like drinking whiskey with too much ice cube... you know it is whiskey, its smell like whiskey, but the taste is dilluted by water.. played in classic difficulty and finish it in 2 days (around 20 game play) i've played original x-com back in the 90's..and of course i got high expectation on this version.. while graphic is good, the gameplay somewhat roughly similiar..playing this game is like drinking whiskey with too much ice cube... you know it is whiskey, its smell like whiskey, but the taste is dilluted by water.. played in classic difficulty and finish it in 2 days (around 20 game play) i've played original x-com back in the 90's..and of course i got high expectation on this version.. while graphic is good, the gameplay somewhat roughly similiar.. it less some of the features that make xcom is uniquely xcom such as : limited role for all item, aliens research material, no artwork for the alien image which i think they should have because its cool, ground combat became so linear basically just run ahead and shot whatever alien you encounter (compared the exploration of the old game), no research material regarding alien motive and purpose (the old xcom you will research UFO type, capture several alien commanders, to slowly reveal their movites and purpose of the atacks,) pace of game is to fast (dont think its logically possible to research all alien technology, reverse engineerd and kill the alien boss mereley under 1 year, human is not that genious!!).. to sum it up.. although the game still fun to play.. but its a simpler version of UFO and wouldnt be able to capture the original game greatness.. good effort but too bad.. they could make it much more better Expand
  79. Oct 16, 2012
    Lost points for:
    1. Excessive bugs
    2. Over-simplification of key features 3. Purely arbitrary nonsense Unfortunately the game released with a slew of graphics bugs, and more importantly game altering/affecting bugs like randomly appearing aliens. The occasional glitch on release is fine, but in this case playing a mission without noticing a graphics glitch is almost impossible. The
    Lost points for:
    1. Excessive bugs
    2. Over-simplification of key features 3. Purely arbitrary nonsense

The biggest problem for me comes from the over simplification of key aspects that made the original XCOM games interesting. Let me start off by saying that I fully agree that managing 20 soldiers per squad was tedious, and the game benefited from streamlining in that sense, BUT, and this a big but, they ended up taking way too much off the top. You're hard limited to a squad of 6 members and one squad only, these soldiers have zero inventory, they just simply have the items they can equip and nothing else.

Ammo doesn't need to be managed, grenades and other usable items are an "X uses per combat" deal and skills are simply cooldown based. Pointless weapon restrictions also exist and for some reason my Sniper cannot equip an assault rifle even though they had no problem using one before they became a sniper, the heavy weapons class also has this pointless restriction but for some reason the other two classes do not. While you can swap people in and out of your squad before the start of a mission, you cannot create pre-set squads either. All soldiers can be fully customized and the only unique thing about them is the flag on their backs, all males share the same body type and females have the exact same problem, no variations exist in height and for that matter the voices all sound the same as well.

Another big problem that ties into this is that it's not possible to have more than one squad or respond to more than one event at the same time, to me this is a huge issue, especially since the rewards are the exact same every single time, even near the end of the game, 200 currency, 4 scientists, or 4 engineers and sometimes a squad member. This results in being almost forced pick the region that's in most panic as the mission you handle because the rewards basically suck and there's no incentive to take 200 currency over the loss of a country's support on the council. So this begs the question of why the game was dumbed down so much that you can't build multiple dropships, have multiple squads and respond to multiple attack/abduction sites at once?

This, coupled with stupid and often times arbitrary things like the previously mentioned weapon restrictions, really hurt the games sense of freedom and depth of strategy. For example, if I am going to assault a landed UFO I know that most of the fighting will be close range, high mobility fighting with limited field of vision. I have two options, take a sniper who will be pretty useless, or swap the sniper out for another character. Neither of these is particularly appealing to me, instead I'd like to be able to just equip my sniper with an assault rifle or a shotgun and use them that way but I can't. Or better yet, why can't I have both? If I give up enough inventory space and other things there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to carry a sniper rifle with 10 bullets and an assault rifle with 90. Sure I wouldn't have grenades, a medkit, a pistol, a rocket launcher or infinite ammo, but I could customize the soldier to be what I want them to be. Unfortunately this extends further into combat, hit %s are very random and you honestly shouldn't base your decision to shoot on it, I've hit plenty of 25% shots and missed plenty of 90%s. The only way to be sure that you don't miss is to get 100% hit chance and this isn't realistically possible in most scenarios so missions boil down to finding cover and abusing the hell out of Overwatch which is essentially a guard/interrupt feature. On the same topic, cover itself is random in effectiveness and ranges from grossly overpowered to completely useless, I've had characters killed through full cover before and I'm not convinced that this was due to a bug but rather just how cover is intended to work, so the only surefire way to survive is to load up on hitpoints/medkits and kill the aliens before they kill you. That being said you WILL die in long drawn out battles regardless of how smart you play, the computer simply has higher damage/accuracy values than you can ever hope to see, moreso they're almost impossible to flank thanks to a stupid "introduction" mechanic that happens every single time an alien comes into view for the first time. This gives the aliens instant control of the game and lets them move to cover which is a complete joke.

Overall not a bad game, but if you're looking for an authentic XCOM or TBS feel, it might be better to skip it, there is no way this game 10/10 like the fanboy reviews claim but it's certainly not 4/10 either.
  80. Mar 20, 2013
    EU is a simplified remake of the original X-Com with dumbed down features across the board. Replay value is severely limited by the heavily scripted nature of the campaign and a limited supply of hand-crafted(as opposed to randomly generated) battle maps. Console-inspired UI is a constant source of annoyance. However, EU's biggest fault lies in the combat. Enemies pose no danger to yourEU is a simplified remake of the original X-Com with dumbed down features across the board. Replay value is severely limited by the heavily scripted nature of the campaign and a limited supply of hand-crafted(as opposed to randomly generated) battle maps. Console-inspired UI is a constant source of annoyance. However, EU's biggest fault lies in the combat. Enemies pose no danger to your troops until they've been revealed. This reduces battle strategy to basically not revealing additional enemies. The multiplayer component seems like an afterthought. It could have been fun had there been more than 5 maps. Still, those of you willing to leave your sky high expectations for this remake at the door and don't mind a simplified X-Com game with shiny new graphics will probably enjoy EU. Expand
  81. Jan 5, 2013
    I had high hopes for this game based on the older XCOM that I liked a lot, but most of the time is just an exercise of frustration when I play it. Probabilities of hitting a target seem to be consistently misused by the game's engine. I understand that even when there is a high 80% probability to hit a target, there is still a 1 in 5 change to miss, however when 3 or 4 troopers that haveI had high hopes for this game based on the older XCOM that I liked a lot, but most of the time is just an exercise of frustration when I play it. Probabilities of hitting a target seem to be consistently misused by the game's engine. I understand that even when there is a high 80% probability to hit a target, there is still a 1 in 5 change to miss, however when 3 or 4 troopers that have between 50 and 80% probabilities shoot and miss the same target in a row something is wrong. That is a scenario that I encounter quite often and just defies basic math. Another annoying aspect is the friendly fire when shooting rockets. Sometimes it seems there is a clear line of fire that should miss a nearby trooper but the rocket still takes him down rather than the target. Such a dumb friendly fire should anyway not even be allowed by the engine. I also agree with the dumbed-down strategy the others are talking about... Expand
  82. Jan 15, 2013
    15/01/2013 Review - Patch 3 - PC/Steam version.

Patch 3 has rendered the Game unplayable for me otherwise I would give a much higher Metascore as this game has promise.. AI Teleports it's units anywhere in the game, generally right where my units are.. Which gives the AI God Mode like advantage over you. Takes away the enjoyment of the game; The 'AI Teleport' Bug wasn't even much of
    15/01/2013 Review - Patch 3 - PC/Steam version.

Takes away the enjoyment of the game; The 'AI Teleport' Bug wasn't even much of a problem for me, it was rare through Pre-Patch 3 Updates.. Now they're the norm.

Apart from that, the game is sound, an old school X-Com fan, I have mixed feelings about the simplified changes.. Less micro-management but acceptable.
    I disagree that the tactics have been dumbed down, the tactics on the battlefield are greatly enhanced from the old version.
    Most of the gripe from the 'traditionalists' of the X-Com franchise is down to micro-management being replaced with a more simpler streamlined model. Example: You no longer manage the weapons/items sales to manage space in your Base(s)
    You win Scientist and Engineers as a reward, you no longer purchase them and living quarters for them to stay.
    But the new X-Com, you have to be clever with your decisions, do you opt for more Scientists or invest in the Officers Club? More Engineers to cheapen production or Scientists to speed up research of Alien Artifacts.
    Firaxis simply changed the strategy side of the game of the story.

My only gripes about the game is everyone speaks with an American accent, except Dr Vahlan, this is supposed to be about Countries of the World uniting against a common foe, yet all the Soldiers/Civilians/VIPS are American, and if I have to hear Anna Sing talk in that annoying Fry Tone one more time I swear I'm going to punch a hole through my screen.
    Not only the voices but the Battle Grounds get repetitive and some don't even make any sense, a Liquor store in Egypt which are very strict on the sale/consumption of alcohol.. It's too Americanized!
    And of course the bloody bugs are a headache.
  83. Oct 18, 2013
    Unlike vintage XCOM, this incarnation removes player preferences. If you prefer females to be snipers and males to be heavy. Tough! Beware saying this on the Steam Forum! You find character assassins that tend to spend their lives hovering in this forum illogically calling you a sexist, misogynist and anything random with 'ist postfix. The price you pay if you have a personalUnlike vintage XCOM, this incarnation removes player preferences. If you prefer females to be snipers and males to be heavy. Tough! Beware saying this on the Steam Forum! You find character assassins that tend to spend their lives hovering in this forum illogically calling you a sexist, misogynist and anything random with 'ist postfix. The price you pay if you have a personal preference. (Makes me worry we are moving into). You can dismiss some troops but it is costly in time & finance which makes no sense. As you play more and more games, its like the software realises you have a preference anyway and punishes you. You find it gives you more of you don't want.

Will I buy the Expansion? If it caters for player preferences (and includes base invasions). Yes and I'll even overlook the games other flaws.
  84. May 10, 2013
    A clever game for gamers that seek a challenge. It has a mediocre tutorial that does not fulfill its role, so the learning curve is steep and at the first walthrough you will be learning by mistakes unfortunately. If you are new to XCOM series you will like it more than the veterans, because this game is a much dumbed cousin of its elders. The game is quite addicting thanks to someA clever game for gamers that seek a challenge. It has a mediocre tutorial that does not fulfill its role, so the learning curve is steep and at the first walthrough you will be learning by mistakes unfortunately. If you are new to XCOM series you will like it more than the veterans, because this game is a much dumbed cousin of its elders. The game is quite addicting thanks to some RPG/RTS elements. The deeper you go the more new stuff you discover and new weapons. Other times the missions are nearly impossible to accomplish because you for example get thrown with little to no cover into a swarm of bazooka wielding giants. The natural part of the frustration is losing your men (and women heh) other times you will have to sacrifice newbies to get a clear shot for the captain. The game can be really hard even at normal difficulty setting so much so that if you`re new to this I highly recommend not selecting a higher setting than normal. The maps are fairly varied, not too much but just enough to keep going forward. There are also a few mission types, honestly here I was dissapointed. Overall the campaign is good, it proceeds just when it is about to get stale. Some strategy and thinking is required. I played 33hours to get through the whole thing, which is a huge number for a game nowadays. Moreso, the game is built the way that makes you want to beat it at least twice, because the first time you did not know the whole set of rules. Gaphics and music is okay. Overall lots of gameplay for this price so a 8.6 out of 10. Expand
  85. Oct 24, 2012
    YES: -Its still fun to play game
    -Tactical battles have spirit of original 1994 game
    -Aliens, aircrafts,weapons etc are mostly based on original design -Its hard and demanding -Its a high budget turn based strategy and its 2012, i salute to 2K for courage ;) NO: -Its much much simplified comparing to the 1994 game -Music is dull and no based on original scores in any way -Its
    YES: -Its still fun to play game
    -Tactical battles have spirit of original 1994 game
    -Aliens, aircrafts,weapons etc are mostly based on original design
    -Its hard and demanding

NO: -Its much much simplified comparing to the 1994 game
    -Music is dull and no based on original scores in any way
    -Its short and kind of linear
    -tutorial is ultra annoying and its on by default
    -New Cryssalid not even half dangerous as the old one
  86. Oct 30, 2012
    Back in the day, I was a huge XCOM fan! I played UFO, Terror from the Deep, Apocalypse and even Interceptor. And now I've played XCOM: Enemy Unknown which I must say, was what I hoped for, but what I really wanted was for this game to blow me out of the water! First off, the graphics are sweet and the level of destruction in this game is immense. The music and sound effects works with theBack in the day, I was a huge XCOM fan! I played UFO, Terror from the Deep, Apocalypse and even Interceptor. And now I've played XCOM: Enemy Unknown which I must say, was what I hoped for, but what I really wanted was for this game to blow me out of the water! First off, the graphics are sweet and the level of destruction in this game is immense. The music and sound effects works with the eerie environment and visually hearing alien movement can help a lot especially when breaching a room. The only downfall in this game is that being a turn based strategy game, there isn't a lot of strategy! XCOM: EU has been dubbed down a lot. It's all move to cover, move to higher ground and even then your rookies get hit even in full cover! The major problem I find is that the shooting is all predicted whether it hits or misses when it clearly hits it's target. Another problem is that the overall accuracy is not improved if you move closer to your target, in fact snipers on high ground can still miss a lot which seems wrong. A tactical advantage SHOULD be an advantage. This game is still quite fun to play, but it is nowhere near as good as the original games. If this game was made with PC gamers in mind, then we would be looking at a 9/10 or even a 10/10. Let's pray that there will be mods that will turn XCOM: EU into a real strategy game rather than a watered down roulette game. Expand
  87. Jun 7, 2013
    It brings back a lot of memories from the original XCOM, but so much better. Turn based strategy has always been my favorite type of game. They did a wonderful job updating the game play with an easy to understand and use interface. The graphics look good, not the greatest but sufficient. I had two occurrences of crash to desktop in my 40 hour play through. I'd suggest turning on autoIt brings back a lot of memories from the original XCOM, but so much better. Turn based strategy has always been my favorite type of game. They did a wonderful job updating the game play with an easy to understand and use interface. The graphics look good, not the greatest but sufficient. I had two occurrences of crash to desktop in my 40 hour play through. I'd suggest turning on auto saves, but you'll want that anyway for when you make a poor decision and send a soldier too far ahead and he gets killed. The ending was good, the cut scenes were well done. The only thing I missed from the original was that you can't pick up equipment from fallen/incapped soldiers. So if your guy with the health kit goes down, he's gonna die unless you finish the mission quick. Well done Firaxis! I enjoyed this a lot. Expand
  88. Dec 2, 2012
    I purchased this game because I thought it would be FUN! I have now played this game for only approx. 60 -70 hours but I am getting the distinct impression that it is way to difficult to be simply a game. It isn't something that will keep the kids occupied . The AI has far too many advantages and the soldiers die way too easily even on the easy setting. The graphics and visuals are veryI purchased this game because I thought it would be FUN! I have now played this game for only approx. 60 -70 hours but I am getting the distinct impression that it is way to difficult to be simply a game. It isn't something that will keep the kids occupied . The AI has far too many advantages and the soldiers die way too easily even on the easy setting. The graphics and visuals are very well done and the game itself was well conceived, and it is playable except for the fact that the "easy" level means "expert". Obviously I am not a professional gamer and I think that is what the creators were targeting this game for. It's simply not that enjoyable as a "simple" gamer. I really like the tactical aspect but the enemy has too much firepower and the xcom soldiers are forced too move into untenable positions in order target the aliens even at low percentages. Its either take a bad shot and get killed or press overwatch and get killed. That's not very fun. Expand
  89. May 1, 2014
    Turn based strategy at its finest with a variety of gameplay options. Play it on ironman where every decision matters. Nothing beats the moment when your favorite Sniper (named after yourself, of course) is down to one health bar, low on ammo, Thin Men dropping in from everywhere, and your Support Class Girl sits on the other end of the map. Be sure to get the excellent Enemy Within as well.
  90. Dec 28, 2012
    One of the best releases this year. A few minor complaints withstanding, the gameplay is addictive and fun. The missions do get a bit monotonous, they could have added some variety to the locations in game (every city looks the same). The permadeath mechanics add a great level of tension to each mission.The aliens are challenging, often to a frustrating degree, leading to suspense eachOne of the best releases this year. A few minor complaints withstanding, the gameplay is addictive and fun. The missions do get a bit monotonous, they could have added some variety to the locations in game (every city looks the same). The permadeath mechanics add a great level of tension to each mission.The aliens are challenging, often to a frustrating degree, leading to suspense each time you send a prized squad member to scout the fog of war. Well worth the money Expand
  91. Mar 8, 2014
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.
    It was a long time since i had a game with more than 50 hours of playing in a week.
    Since i never play the X-COM classics before, i'm not the one who gonna spit on that game because of some lack of fidelity from the original series, which seems to be what people was most criticizing about. Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.

Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and it's not so well explored. You'll have to manage resources, research alien materials, train and customize your soldiers, capture aliens alive to study them, build facilities, weapons, gadgets, robots, all kind of features to help you to deal with an unknown alien menace.

The biggest part of this game is at turn-based strategy battles, with a third person point of view on shooting enemies or doing another actions.

I got some minor bugs, mostly concerned the camera movement, which can be very annoying some times, but nothing truly deal breaker.
  92. Aug 1, 2013
    To make the story as short as possible: this game could have been great, but came out average. You get the impression that the game has been downsized in terms of complexity to fit as many people as you possibly can. So the agents modifications in terms of equipment is a laugh now, vehicle modifications are almost non existant, the amount of structures you can build in your base is aTo make the story as short as possible: this game could have been great, but came out average. You get the impression that the game has been downsized in terms of complexity to fit as many people as you possibly can. So the agents modifications in terms of equipment is a laugh now, vehicle modifications are almost non existant, the amount of structures you can build in your base is a shadow of what we saw in prevoius X-Coms, even the number of aliens ingame is reduced... Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game and I do admit I enjoyed it, but it's still not what we were told we'd get and notr what was expected. Plus you have the feeling that the game overlay was made for touchscreen apps and the PC version is just a poor pott. I don't really understand why the game receives such high scores a decent piece of work, but nothing brilliant for both veterans of X-Coms and newcomers. 7/10 from me. Expand
  93. May 11, 2013
    A great turn based strategy game that draws you in with cool art style and base management. I think the naysayers forget how bloated the original xcom was. Looking forward to a sequel.
  94. Mar 19, 2013
    Everyone who has given this game a good score has clearly never played the real xcom from the 90!!!!!!!!!

I am not saying this is a bad game i am just SO disappointing how they could take a master peace like the old one and turn it in to this. **** weapons -Childish looking aliens (the old game was so creapy) actually everything looks that childish way the game has no mature

**** weapons
    -Childish looking aliens (the old game was so creapy) actually everything looks that childish way the game has no mature feeling!
    -Story to simple and short.
    etc.

And where are the awesome base battles every map just looks the same the old game had much much variety when it comes to game play and everything else.

Still i enjoyed the game but sometimes i wish programmers would program like they used to in the 90 using the stat of the art tools they have to day games are becoming so simple these days.
  95. Dec 29, 2013
    I never played the originals, so I was able to go into this game with no expectations. It could have been solid and entertaining, and was to a point, but it was crippled by RNG. Never apply RNG to accuracy in games. Never do it.
  96. Jan 14, 2014
    It was a decision of the creators of this game to call it XCOM and use the IP of a game that has reached a legendary status. Therefore it should be judged in comparison with the original 1994 game UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-com: UFO Defence in America). The original 1994 game was a brilliant open world alien-survival strategy game. The player had to build and manage mutiple bases around theIt was a decision of the creators of this game to call it XCOM and use the IP of a game that has reached a legendary status. Therefore it should be judged in comparison with the original 1994 game UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-com: UFO Defence in America). The original 1994 game was a brilliant open world alien-survival strategy game. The player had to build and manage mutiple bases around the globe, recruit soldiers, scientists and engineers, research technologies and manufacture (which took time based on engineer hours required and eng. allocated to project) aircraft, weapons and equipment. You had to manage storage, production, research between bases and equip craft and soldiers.
    I might be repeating other people, but in comparison to the above the current game looks completely dumbed-down, lacking strategic depth, freedom and controll. It feels scripted where things happen to you instead of you taking control of the whole X-COM project.
  97. Jan 23, 2014
    I personally didn't like strategy games until i played Xcom:Enemy Unknown.With updated graphic and a nice gameplay.even though it's not a 100% remake of the UFO:EU,It's still fantastic.With improve combat system and tactical system.
  98. Feb 14, 2014
    I never played old xcom, but it don't regret that. This game has some bugs like shooting through walls, weird angles of shooting, very rare freeze after animations, but overall game is fantastic :) On the higher levels with second wave options game i really hard and requiring. Maybe there's not many options as it old xcom had, but in my opinion there's a lot of things and research to obtain :)
  99. Feb 14, 2014
    I love this game, every character you make gets you attached to them, i already have completed it, and its just... BEYOND amazing! I love all the different alien types and i would not be playing it if it weren't for a youtuber!
  100. Mar 10, 2013
    I think XCOM is a great game. Multitude of campaigns, but above all the turn-based combat is the most successful game. In the negative section base management is improved. But the game is amazing in the playable section. Totally recommended.
  101. Nov 29, 2012

Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.