8.2

1. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  2. Apr 17, 2017
    I'd been aware of the XCOM series for some time, but it never interested me until I tried the demo for Enemy Unknown, but even that wasn't enough. It took a love for Darkest Dungeon and a realization that there were a number of turn-based games I'd enjoyed over the years, when I had previously just told people that I don't like them. So I waited for a sale and grabbed the complete pack.I'd been aware of the XCOM series for some time, but it never interested me until I tried the demo for Enemy Unknown, but even that wasn't enough. It took a love for Darkest Dungeon and a realization that there were a number of turn-based games I'd enjoyed over the years, when I had previously just told people that I don't like them. So I waited for a sale and grabbed the complete pack. Coming from DD, XCOM is both more forgiving (especially if you use the Save Scum modifier) and significantly more tactically complex. I had some experience with squad-based tactics from Dawn of War II, though this is on a smaller scale: You are limited to a single squad and control each soldier individually. It also uses small, often single digit numbers for damage and health, something it has in common with DD, combined with visual bar sections, making it very easy at a glance to see where you're at tactically. There are certain tactical shortcomings that I'm told are addressed in the sequel, such as not knowing wether a position you are moving a soldier to will give them a view on potential targets until they get there- but i've also heard its much harder to get a guarenteed hit in the sequel, even if your trooper is pressing a gun to an enemy's face. Ups and downs, I suppose.

Enemy Unknown has layers of complexity that few other games have, though series veterans will still tell you its "dumbed down." Individual soldiers are highly customizable both in their abilities and appearance, especially if you have all the DLCs. You can name them, give them medals, and arm them with a variety of extra goodies. They start out as pathetic FNGs with the accuracy of the on-screen Stormtroopers of Star Wars, and dont even have a class, which they are assigned the first time they rank up: Assaults, Heavies, Snipers or Supports. These four classes are further split by players into two subclasses based on perk choices, though you may mix and match perks to your liking. However, you CANNOT respec your soldiers: choose perks carefully. With some planning, luck and maybe a few reloaded saves, they become apex examples of what human warriors can do- some of them may even become psychics. Then you can take them beyond that in Enemy Within, granting them genetic enhancements or cybernetic augmentation. XCOM resonated with me very strongly in this regard: Evolution is a powerful weapon indeed. One of my very first recruits from the post-tutorial mission, my first Support, went on to be my Volunteer. These are not just random grunts. They are your disciples. Their stories are yours.

Combat can go very smoothly or completely sideways, and the difference can be as subtle as the positioning of a single trooper, or which soldier you place on "Overwatch" (Which causes them to fire upon the first enemy that moves within their vison during their turn) You must take into account flanking, elevation, line of sight and variety of other factors. This variety increases as you level your soldiers and their capabilities expand, as do the variety of enemies you face. One of the most useful such capabilities in my experience has been a perk for Snipers called Squadsight, which permits them to fire on any target visibile to another XCOM soldier, so long as they also would have line of sight to that enemy. Properly positioned, this enables the Sniper to hit targets from across the map: as my first Sniper did when he saved the afforementioned Support from a Chryssalid on the now-infamous "Site Recon" mission. When things go right in XCOM, it is immensly satisfying. When they don't... oh boy, do they not.

XCOM is an incredible, in-depth experience and I enjoyed it from the first mission to the very last. It is easily one of the finest games of this decade. It permits you control of your characters in a manner that would be more common in a traditional RPG, and the random elements become less of a hassle as you progress, as the time and effort you put into your soldiers' development pays off as they become nigh-unstoppable post-human super-warriors that puts EDF's Storm Team to shame and would give Commander Shepard's crew a run for their money. I found myself with the same fondness for them that I had for my heroes in Darkest Dungeon. It is clear that an uncommon degree of care and respect went in to Enemy Unknown's creation, with its purely asthetic "highlight camera" when making a killing shot and its excellent soundtrack. More big-budget releases could benefit from its example, and it can be played as casually or as intensively as one prefers, thanks to its range of difficulties and modifiers. If you enjoy squad tactics games, turn-based RPGs, or strategy games of any kind, I encourage you to try the demo. I understand that it offends the sensibilities of XCOM purists, and as such a person as regards to other series I totally get where they're coming from: but Xenonauts exists, and from what I can tell they should just play that.
  3. Mar 27, 2017
    Coming back to this game after playing the second one, it is a tighter experience overall and does not need mods to give it a feel of pressure like in XCOM 2.
  4. Dec 21, 2016
    Fantastic game.
    Love the turn-based strategy.
    Fantastic game.
    Love the turn-based strategy.

Love the strategically scarce resources -- can't buy the stuff you really want (i.e. what you need to build laser and plasma weapons), and can't harvest enough resources to build out everything you want/need all at once. Makes you feel on edge the entire time, unlike its namesake 1990's predecessor in which you could essentially run a money-printing manufacturing operation to buy everything you want.

Love that it's not possible to handle every alien threat at the same time like you could in the game's predecessor. You make your decisions on how to handle what you can based on trying to manage the world's perception of you and what rewards are being offered. Again, puts you on edge the entire game. No sitting back and feeling comfortable.

Love the story, learning about the aliens' motivation (hint: it's not the classic "harvest the planet" alien invasion story) which also explains why there's a progression of difficulty.

Scalable difficulty makes the game more accessible, despite the fact that it can get pretty hard even on Easy mode.

Love "Iron Man" mode -- makes it so you can't just save at good points and load when things go wrong, you have to live with your decisions. Playing that way, even on Easy the game gets really hard.

Love the squad customization, rank advancement, abilities and team-building strategies.

The only thing other than occasional glitches that I don't like about the game is that there aren't enough unique stages. Chances are you'll end up doing a mission on the same stage as one you did previously at some point in the game. The stage design is really good -- dispersion of cover, destructible objects, plenty of ground to cover and search for aliens -- but there aren't enough of them. The original XCOM: UFO Defense didn't have that problem, because stages were procedurally generated. I can imagine that would be possible to do while still maintaining the appearance of good stage design, but they chose not to do that. Makes the game feel stale on the second, third, nth run through it.
  5. Jul 30, 2016
    My first game in the XCOM franchise and certainly hope it wont be my last. The difficulty can be harsh sometimes or maybe all the time, but that what makes the game better. All in all, a wonderful game.
  6. Jul 12, 2016
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown and its addons are de facto re-issue the game UFO Defence game 1993 year edition. Established Firaxis Games and published by 2K new game turned out pretty not bad. The basic details and the scenario were simply transferred from the 1993 year game: as the war with the aliens, turn-based tactics, tactical role-playing elements.
    The mission of the player is protection the
    The mission of the player is protection the planet from alien attacks, their operations on the ground and in the air. For ground operations under player control will be a special detachment. It is replenished by hiring for the money, so long as you have money and you will have recruits. But a large number of detachment on base senselessly because the operation can only use a limited number of soldiers 5 in the original game; 6 in addon Enemy Within. After successful operations soldiers who took part in the operation may be promoted in rank then become available new options and opportunities. The game has 4 classes of soldiers, -heavy infantry, support, assault, sniper and unique class - psionic - a soldier who has psionic abilities. The soldiers of different classes differently armed and have different skills. What classes to use depends on the player and his chosen tactics. Battle goes step by step: the player and the enemy take turns. During the battle each fighter can perform two actions (move / open fire / reload weapon / etc.). To win, the player has to fulfill the mission goal (to clean the area from aliens, rescue civilians or hostage). Enemy are various forms of aliens - their number, skills and capacity increases according to the game passage. To destroy alien aircraft, XCOM need to buy aircrafts, but unlike the recruits its construction takes time.
    The player has a secret base. In a bunker is a research center, engineering department, a command post, a hangar for XCOM aviation, satellite control center, barracks, etc. The player decides which conduct research, what structures build, what type of equipment use for soldiers who will took part in operation. Project XCOM financed by 16 countries. Due to aliens attack, if XCOM ignore countries request of help, country can leave project. If 8 countries leave project - player lose.
    Since the game is turn-based tactics not possible not to pay attention to the entourage of battles in XCOM. The battles with aliens take place throughout the planet and the question remains, why the location is almost indistinguishable from one another. The same cars, houses, people in Beijing, in London, in Cairo, in Lagos. This is pathetic, seems what game was created not a company with over 100 man crew, but several people who raised money on kickstarter.
    Despite some disadvantages, the game still came worthy sequel to the original game of 1993.

7. Jun 22, 2016
    Long content, all customizable, multiple situations to explore and really well done. Cant raech 10 because it gets a bit repetitive after the hours. Go ahead g2a and try is 5 euros or download the demo
  8. May 22, 2016
    Just finished. Although must admit It took a while for me. Maybe because I didn't follow what I was supposed to do. Heck I build a foundry and uncovered a whole bunch of upgrades and units I could make only towards the end of the game. By then my soldiers were beefed up so I managed. Gotta give it credit because it was kind of addictive. Great ending too.
  9. Apr 29, 2016
    I didnt play the former XCOM before, so I came into the game without any previous impacts. But I can understand the critics: unfortunately the game was written for consoles and you can see it on 2 things: the graphics is really old, this is how games looked like in 2010, but not 2012 or 2013. In addition the controlling was not good enough for a PC game.
    If we stay in the negative
    If we stay in the negative aspects, I can add some more:
    What annoyed me, was the few informations you get to make decisions. As if the programmer didnt want to overinform us stupid gamers...I needed to look a lot in XCOM Wikia to understand, what effects my decisions will have. In addition you need to load often during a mission, because you never know, if your soldier will have vision after changing your position. This game means a lot of fun in the beginning, but after 15 hours, you see through many mechanism and the missions begin to look similar.

But the game has some very good sides: The gameplay itself is complex and for me motivating. They present you the story very well und you really want to protect the earth because of the aliens.

Result: A good game, but you need the addon, because it makes the main campaign much better
  10. Feb 24, 2016
    This game is relly good and really fun. It is a bit different animal than the original from 90s'. But it is cool. It requires a brain. It looks good. It plays nicely. The downsides are a bit limited gameplay in comparison to the original and the need to finish the campaign soon. The game starts to get difficult quite fast, so you are pressed to progress fast. I am not so sure I liked that.This game is relly good and really fun. It is a bit different animal than the original from 90s'. But it is cool. It requires a brain. It looks good. It plays nicely. The downsides are a bit limited gameplay in comparison to the original and the need to finish the campaign soon. The game starts to get difficult quite fast, so you are pressed to progress fast. I am not so sure I liked that. Apart from that, very nice gaming experience. Firaxis made an excelent job in honoring the original classic. Expand
  11. Feb 23, 2016
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown starts like how a good strategy game should start, and thankfully, it ends like how a good strategy game should end. Or at least, some parts of it.
  12. Jan 8, 2016
    Having played the original UFO, this is like a remake but with much better graphics and gameplay. In my view, this is the best game I have ever played. Really enjoyed the turn-based battle and management aspects of your base.
  13. Jan 7, 2016
    (English and Italian Review)
    Good strategic game. I played ufo: enemy unknown back in the day and this game is a good successor.
    The fighting system is turn based but is not too deep and runs quite fast. Recomended for anyone not only strategy lovers because the strategy part of the game is not too deep. Nowadays i find it quite cheap for less than 15 Euros or less. Un buon gioco di
    (English and Italian Review)
    The fighting system is turn based but is not too deep and runs quite fast.

Un buon gioco di strategia. Ho giocato al vecchio Ufo anni fa e questo capitolo è un degno successore. Il sistema di combattimento è strategico (a turni) ma non troppo complesso...il che permette combattimenti veloci e non appesantisce troppo le partite. Lo raccomando anche a chi non è un patito degli strategici perchè non risulta troppo complesso per i neofiti ma offre comunque soddisfazione a chi mastica pane e giochi a turni. Compratelo: si trova nei negozi ed in rete a prezzi bassi sotto i 15 euro.
  14. Dec 24, 2015
    Solid tactical game with a strong feeling of retro inspired mechanics. Simple but pretty addictive, this game has brought some emotions up that other games of this generation lack ability of.
  15. Dec 9, 2015
    This is one of my favorite pc titles in years. Mercilessly difficult on higher settings, especially with the Ironman setting (No save-loading).

Never played the previouits X-Coms, so this one was a surprise. Easy to get wrapped up in this one. Invariably you'll be faced with difficult choices, you may have to sacrifice a soldier for the team, leave one behind in a hasty retreat, or choose which country to abandon to alien abduction and invasion.

Can be frustrating. You will learn to hate Thin Men if you don't already.

Some missed opportunities and bugs but the pluses are too numerous to list and outway the detractors.
  16. Dec 2, 2015
    It has been a great many years since I have been so compelled and drawn in to an IP as deeply as I have been with XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

A re-imagining of the classic if infamously counter-intuitive XCOM series, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a highly interactive, highly immersive and surprisingly replayable game with hundreds of hours of gameplay to be had. The story is interesting and

The story is interesting and well-told enough for you to really be drawn in without becoming overbearing or cripplingly long-winded or cryptic.

Perhaps one of the strangest things about this game though is how strongly you as a player become attached to your troops. Even to the most unimaginative of folks, players can't help but form little backstories and personalities to their characters and care about them as a Commander most likely would.

The expansion pack also adds a significant amount of content, both in terms of story and in terms of new units and upgrades.

All in all, this game has done a great job of reviving the dying genre of turn-based strategy and has quickly become not only my favourite game of 2012 but one of my favourite games of all time.

If you've been curious about the upcoming sequel and wonder if the first game is worth giving a go, I would wholeheartedly shout YES!
  17. Aug 10, 2015
    Loved this game but:
    enemies do not move until you approach them
    Inventory is gone
    missing some rpg elements
    missions are too similar

Overall the game is fun and enjoyable
  18. Jun 24, 2015
    A fantastic game, that puts the strategy from Civilization series and management from any type of tycoon game, put in some aliens and the world to take over and eliminate the world, and you've got a fantastic and hard game, I have been waiting to buy this game and I must say it is the best strategy game I've played, although the game does encounter bugs and glitches which may bother youA fantastic game, that puts the strategy from Civilization series and management from any type of tycoon game, put in some aliens and the world to take over and eliminate the world, and you've got a fantastic and hard game, I have been waiting to buy this game and I must say it is the best strategy game I've played, although the game does encounter bugs and glitches which may bother you while playing, its a good game to play Expand
  19. May 19, 2015
    A squad-based tactical game that makes the most out of it's quite simple mechanics. Outside of combat you manage the overseeing operation - a nice peace of micro management between combat missions. Combat is basically cover-based, turn-based and probability-based gameplay. Easy to understand mechanics but the AI will challange you with tactics and numbers. The special thing about XCOM isA squad-based tactical game that makes the most out of it's quite simple mechanics. Outside of combat you manage the overseeing operation - a nice peace of micro management between combat missions. Combat is basically cover-based, turn-based and probability-based gameplay. Easy to understand mechanics but the AI will challange you with tactics and numbers. The special thing about XCOM is the way the game promotes a feeling of significance for every single action you take. whether you move a highly trained veteran soldier from cover to cover while enemies take potshots or choosing the next facility to build or research to undertake.
    Graphics are in a somewhat cellshading style and will age well, though lacking any amazement factor. Sounds are solid and underline the "enemy unknown" atmosphere well.
  20. May 19, 2015
    As a fan of the xcom games I was a bit scared, when I read that the game should become "more accessible" to a larger audience. But what a great job the developers did!!! Still has a lot of depth and is a lot of fun to play. One of the best turn-based-strategy games I know.
    But after playing this game twice, unfortunately there is not much replayabillity
  21. May 1, 2015
    I`ve never spend more hours on a game then xcom on my steam library. This game with the long war mod makes for the best game i have ever played. It is unforgiving and at the same time really enjoyable. I love turn based games and this one is one of the best.

Reviewers who give this game lower then a 7 should spend some more time with it. Or it might just not be for you. I would suggest playing a game that is less demanding and more forgiving.
  22. Feb 18, 2015
    If you've never played a turn-based tactics game, this is the one to pick up. The difficulty options allow for anybody from a total amateur to a hardcore expert to have a well-balanced experience. It isn't too short or long either, and has enough randomization that someone who loved it could replay the game and love it all over again.

The story isn't much to write home about, and the

The story isn't much to write home about, and the characters are little more than sketches, but there's enough game here to please anyway. I also with there had been a bit more variety in the units (both friendly and hostile) as well as the mission types, but I'm sure that the inevitable sequel will have those things.
  23. Feb 5, 2015
    To put it succinctly, PLAY THIS GAME. I came into this game not knowing exactly what to expect, and I was absolutely blown away. this game is incredibly fun and addictive, with excellently nuanced gameplay. If you mess up in this game, it is your fault. The game almost never cheats you out of a victory. I can't say it enough: play it. Play it. PLAY IT.
  24. Dec 5, 2014
    Great game EXCEPT that in making strategically planned moves, the percentage calculator seems waaay off.. do these guys know what 65 or 75% actually means? almost all the time my guys (professionally trained soilders) can't hit the broad side of a barn to save their lives. I consistently see 6 of them miss a target at near point blank range. this happens far too often.. only to see themGreat game EXCEPT that in making strategically planned moves, the percentage calculator seems waaay off.. do these guys know what 65 or 75% actually means? almost all the time my guys (professionally trained soilders) can't hit the broad side of a barn to save their lives. I consistently see 6 of them miss a target at near point blank range. this happens far too often.. only to see them killed because you had expected and planned on the fact that they could hit at least some of the time.. my only gripe about this game, the rest is good Expand
  25. Nov 24, 2014
    A solid turn based strategy game that i am glad to see/play. Solid customization features. You definitely get attached to your squad so you definitely get upset when they get killed which is how it should be. Not overly complex which some may like and others not, but you can definitely ramp the difficulty up until it is painful.
  26. Nov 17, 2014
    A highly enjoyable and strategically strong game borders on being perfect aside from some annoying glitches and bugs. Fans of the turn based action games will enjoy and those looking for a challenge will love it.
  27. Nov 12, 2014
    This is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences everThis is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences ever created.

But i dont like that they dont support mods very well and force you to play the game their way
  28. Nov 9, 2014
    Review of the "Elite Edition" (MacOSX)
    Turn-based strategy games are something of an outcast class in the present game developing environment. No publisher seems keen on investing in these. Firaxis, with their well known pedigree of impecable and all-consuming strategical games, changed the "Outcast" part for "Outclass" in this wonderful modernization of the future (of a past game).
    THE
    Review of the "Elite Edition" (MacOSX)
    THE GOODNESS GALORE
    They managed 3 things I think vital: There is no need to be a fan or have played XCOM to like this game; if you are an XCOM fan you will recognize and understand the changes made to this game; and they adapted TBS to be a heart-thumping bonanza of action kickasserie! (without sacrificing any of the methodical rhythm needed and cherished by fans of the genre, such as myself).
    All-around graphics are of a very high calibre. Detailed environments and creature models bring the world to life, ample customization make your troops feel unique in a way even more profound I have found on some (pseudo) RPG games, a well set tone and story development more than submerge you totally integrate you with the plight of a world facing a patently undefeatable enemy, unless you organize your meager initial resources (men and women, tech, money and time) to mount the best counterattack Earth are capable of, and give humanity at least a fighting chance.
    The game has been streamlined in the right places, such as merging facilities, limiting the size of your team to a 6-man squad more than the sometimes unwhieldy 20-unit troops, but vital aspects such as difficulty, strategy requirements and complex interactions between your resources are still gratifyingly intricate.
    Replayability is enormous, with 4 different levels of difficulty and the discenrning-masochist prefered choice: Iron Man. Which means you have nothing but the game's AutoSave to finish the campaign, therefore every choice you take is uncheangeable, so the stakes get so high they're airplane hazards.
    Best thing about the Mac version? The game is a stand-alone unit, so no need for any Steam nonsense (although you will get all the usual iTunes or AppShop foolishness if you buy the app or iOS version.)
    The game is fortunatelly very stable, so don't worry too much about crashes or glitches since there are only a few, but, as with any game, it's not free of issues...
    THE NAUGHTY BITS
    The environments will get "samey" on further playthroughs since maps will be re-used. There are no attacks on the XCOM base, which would have given Enemy Unknown such a thrilling level of added desperation to your already fragile situation. Some clipping will take place generating cheap deads on your team (or on aliens too for that matter, devaluing your efforts a bit) when they get detected, thus shot, through roofs or sturdy walls, which is not a big deal on most cases except on "Iron Man" where you depend so highly on not screwing up. The aircombat is primitive and uninvolving, and would've benefited the experience (and maybe the story) if it included more than basically just wishing your pilots well by clicking one button at a certain moment.
    CONCLUSION
    But these grievances have no real impact on wheather you should buy or not this game. You MUST. Earth and the TBS market demands it that you do... to give them a chance to survive.
  29. Nov 7, 2014
    The first time I tried this game I couldn't understand the way the combat worked and that was because I looked at the game the same way I looked at the classic. My second attempt was much better as I finally grasped what was going on. The game is very good and climatic. The combat system is somewhat simplified in comparison with the classic but it came out as an advantage. What I dislikedThe first time I tried this game I couldn't understand the way the combat worked and that was because I looked at the game the same way I looked at the classic. My second attempt was much better as I finally grasped what was going on. The game is very good and climatic. The combat system is somewhat simplified in comparison with the classic but it came out as an advantage. What I disliked in the classic was looking for the last alien that hid somewhere on the map. Here you do not have to do that. Game progression is fantastic. Besides random maps you got fixed missions, which makes game more attractive - you did not have this choise in classic. You can make your soldiers to become cyborgs or enchance them biologically. Each soldiers class is needed and this is a great improvement over the classic title where you could get ultimate killers good at everything. Here you got soldiers that can be achieved only at their profession, which is sensible attitutude. Graphics and animations are quite pretty. I beat the game and I feel like coming back once again to this title to play the campgain once more. I hope they will make another title in the franchise. I am really looking forward to it. Expand
  30. Oct 28, 2014
    Fantastic game, good combat system. good successor to the 1993 title (which in my opinion is a 10), even with his small flaws, totally worth playing!!!
  31. Oct 28, 2014
    Old school evil aliens invade the earth and you are the commander of an elite team that should be able to defy that menace. Fortunately the game doesn't take it too seriously and is therefore enjoyable even if it features "evil alien invaders".

The plot was surprisingly varied, considering we're talking about evil alien invaders, but it actually just need to support the turn-based in-field combat mechanics change throughout the progress of the game.
    It was the first time I approached turn based combat games (and the only turn based strategy game I ever played before XCOM: Enemy Unknown was Sid Meyer's Civilization V) but I found XCOM: Enemy Unknown gameplay system pretty straightforward and enjoyable.

Game graphic is nice, I wouldn't have changed anything on that part, music instead sounds often repetitive even if it matches the atmosphere.

Now, the cons.
    Percentage system is not totally random but randomly predetermined: if you miss a hit, no matter how many times you reload a savegame and/or change actions before that very hit, it will miss (even with 98% hit chance).
    The movement system gets you hard time with ramps/levels/obstructions.
    Finally, this game has a few bugs, one above all it may happen that the game still runs without any visual issue or crash BUT no matter what button you press, you can't do anything and you need to force quit the game (happened 1 to 3 times per finished game).

To recap, if this game was made for PC in the first place a lot of things would have been better, but it is clearly adapted to consoles limited controls (gamepads != mouses) and then ported to PC.
    The good thing is that, controls aside, the game has a lot of customizable options and since it uses the unreal engine it's pretty solid.
    Also, the game runs on linux, I'd say it runs really good on linux and I can only praise that.

If you enjoy turn based strategy combat games this game is for you, if you don't give it a try anyway, I really enjoyed it as my first time turn-based combat game.
  32. Oct 25, 2014
    Turn based squad strategy at it's finest. The only complaint is that the story is a little week. Other than that, there's enjoyable progression, challenge for any level of familiarity, and huge replay-ability.
  33. Oct 18, 2014
    I have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. TryI have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. Try naming them after your loved ones, and you'll get attached to them. That's the thing about XCOM, it doesn't trivialize death; it even has a memorial for your lost soldiers. Haven't played multiplayer, but singleplayer alone justifies the price tag. There are some lags here and there but they're minor. Come on, buy it NOW. Expand
  34. Oct 15, 2014
    Incredible game, I have spent at least 120 hours playing this, people saying it´s "dumbed down" Its because they have not even tried it in impossible with iron man mode enabled, buy this game, I asure you wont regret it.
  35. Oct 14, 2014
    Great. Interesting characters - who you genuinely care about, because they can die at any time. Varied skills - which can really shake up the field of play. A variety of classes - which really do play differently. Lots of tactical options to consider and with the expansions/DLC, even more. I'm not typically a TBS player, but even I found this to be a great game. The only caveats are thatGreat. Interesting characters - who you genuinely care about, because they can die at any time. Varied skills - which can really shake up the field of play. A variety of classes - which really do play differently. Lots of tactical options to consider and with the expansions/DLC, even more. I'm not typically a TBS player, but even I found this to be a great game. The only caveats are that the action can be a little slow at times (e.g: chasing down the last few aliens on a map), and the base-building part of the game seemed underdeveloped (at least, without the DLC). Expand
  36. Sep 28, 2014
    Great game. The tactics are quite simple and make for streamlined gameplay. Its not bad for it, the range of maps is quite good. The solider nationalities and editing give you a connection with them, if you play on ironman you feel gutted if a favourite dies.

The ironman mode is really good one bad mission can cause a lot of problems. I would like to see more mission types although

The ironman mode is really good one bad mission can cause a lot of problems.

I would like to see more mission types although the missions themselves seem to be quite different with each play through.

Would recommend however if you are looking for in depth combat you may be disappointed.
  37. Aug 18, 2014
    This new XCom can proudly bear it ancestor name. While it isn't the old XCom game in new dressing, it keeps the essence of the old title.

It is simpler in many aspects, like you don't have to care for munition -- making it or using it, only issue is to reload the guns in battle, but the munition supply is infinite, which has an impact on tactics, since you can shoot all the time, even when % is very low. And its fun to kill an alien with a 10% chance! Also, you don't choose the kind of equipment a soldier will use. After the first graduation each soldier will go automatically to Sniper, Assault, Support or Heavy, and from them on can only use weapons for his or her class. But this isn't a problem, its cheap to get new soldiers and you can choose which ones to take on the missions (use the Clear button on the mission rooster to change them) (Also, its good to have many soldiers and train them all. It can be important along the game).

One little point I disliked is that soldiers can hold just a weapon, a side weapon, armor and one extra item, like grenades, medikits or any other of the later developed items. It seems to me that some items, like a Scope or a Helmet, should be used besides these ones, but no, you have to give up on grenades/ medikits to have these ones.

One funny aspect is Engineering can build anything instantly (provided you have money and materials for it). Also, you can't sell equipment. All you can sell are alien items you get on battle -- and this isn't really a good idea, you will need them to build items with alien tech.

Another thing that for me doesn't look great is how hard it is to get all satellites in the air (if you loose a country, you cant recover it back later, so at first its all efforts to put satellites everywhere), and how easy is to have money after that is done. This side of the game is very intense at first but too easy after the satellites. You research all that is to research really quick, I didn't even build any Laboratory (playing on Normal), just built two Workshops to have enough Engineers to built the satellites. It would be more interesting if you could make some super special hard mission to recover a lost country later...

Because of these small points I don't give the game a 10.

On the plus side, graphics and sounds are phenomenal. Really great. Sceneries are also great, even if a little more variations would be good. On old XCom games we could end walking around the scenery looking for that last alien to kill, but this wont happen here, sceneries aren't very big (it would be great to have some variation in size, it would be more interesting), and there is an interesting hearing cue to tell you where the aliens are. Animations are also great. The way camera changes when a soldier or alien shoots is great (and sometimes when a soldier moves), adds a lot to the game.

Interface is also great. I had a little trouble to understand how to use mouse wheel (to raise/lower levels of view), but after I got it right, everything with interface was easy and fun. One little issue: at the end of a turn, we could have a button to put all the remaining soldiers on Overwatch, instead of going one by one. Also, after a mission start, you cant choose the sequence the orders are given to soldiers (when clicking the button to go from soldier to soldier, or Shift key). It could be like you manually choose the order the first time and the game could remember the sequence and repeat it instead of using its own sequence all the time. This makes we jump from a side of the scenery to the other with each soldier instead of solving movement for all that are together. This using the Shift key to change soldiers. Of course you can click on the next soldier too (the cue that you are on the correct point to click is very good, its hard to do it wrong).

After a while playing the game, you can turn on Ironman. On Ironman you can't save the game while in a mission, making things much, much harder. (Of course you can always return to a saved game before the start of that mission that went very badly, but don't do so, its cheating (: )

The tactical aspect of the game is very well thought. At first there's no difference what kind of weapon you use, but after the game progress it is essential to have the correct ones (before each mission, game tells you what kind of aliens you should find in the mission). Or, you can solve the problem without the right ones, but its much more difficult. Also the tactical positioning is essential. On missions where the UFO landed (opposed to crashed down), you can't approach it heads on, there will be a ton of aliens shooting at your soldiers at the same time. So you have to find other ways to approach... (here a bigger scenery could be more fun. But it is already very interesting the way it is!).

All in all, a very recommended game and one I will play for a long time. Already crossed the 200 hours on it!
  38. Aug 8, 2014
    This game is turn based game, but you must try it. The graphic game is great. The storyline is very good. This game has psychic power that can use for weapon, control enenmy, etc.
  39. Aug 1, 2014
    Utterly immersing and satisfying. If you like first person shooters as well as turn based grand strategy games (think total war series) then this merges the two in a perfect way. As a newbe to the xcom series, I have been left very impressed.
  40. Jul 22, 2014
    I would put this game in the pantheon of strategy games, without question. SCORE: 97/100.

I loved this game from start to finish and everything about the tactical gameplay is amazing and engaging. There are a great variety of classes (with upgrade paths, ranks, and different equipment) and enemies, diverse maps, good base technology and items, and just a complete package that is fun and replayable.

This is a game that you will play again, and you will be glad you did.
  41. Jul 22, 2014
    All in all, the game is very strong; the combat works well, the macro-level stuff keeps you sucked in, and there is a fairly decent variety in enemies. The game will keep you entertained for 20-30 hours.

That being said, it could be a little bit better; the aliens aren't quite smart and aggressive enough, and eventually, once you get things under control, it can get a little bit dry towards the end.

Still, on the whole, it is an enjoyable experience and well worth the time and money to beat it once.
  42. Jul 9, 2014
    Excellent game.

Hard decisions to make, punishes bad moves, makes you feel accomplished when you succeed. Game has high replay value due to randomization and various settings/mods.

Only reason its not a flat out 10/10 is minor annoyances. Such as if the last man with medkit gets wounded and some odd camera bugs.
  43. Jul 2, 2014
    This game is fantastic. It's ALMOST to the 1993 version in terms of greatness, in my opinion. It falls just short with the base customization and the way the difficulty really tapers off. However, this game is a great reboot to the series, and an excellent stepping stone for Jake Solomon and his team to bring the XCOM franchise into a new light and, hopefully, continue refining the gameThis game is fantastic. It's ALMOST to the 1993 version in terms of greatness, in my opinion. It falls just short with the base customization and the way the difficulty really tapers off. However, this game is a great reboot to the series, and an excellent stepping stone for Jake Solomon and his team to bring the XCOM franchise into a new light and, hopefully, continue refining the game to make his XCOM run last longer than Julian Gollop's unfortunate luck with the series. Expand
  44. Jun 30, 2014
    While this game is a lot less complicated than UFO Defense, this is still a very challenging and fun strategy game. If you ARE one of those idiots that are so die-hard to the franchise that you think that anything new is automatically bad, I will point you to Xenonauts, a fan-made remake of the UFO defense.
    .......
    Are they gone? Good. Now let me just say this is a MUST for any
    .......
    Are they gone?
    Good.

Now let me just say this is a MUST for any strategy game fan. If you haven't already bought this, turn off your computer,do yourself a favor and run to the nearest retailer to pick up this masterpiece. It is THE BEST strategy game I've played in a while. While the story is admittedly not that great, (You don't even find out why the aliens are here) the game-play makes up for it. With tense fights that will have you biting at your fingernails, interesting research trees to discover new technologies and use them for the against the aliens, and an amazing new "ant-farm" look for the XCOM base that makes building facilities a breeze, this game is definitively worth the 60 dollar asking price, not to mention it has decreased down to about 30 dollars now. I was going to give this a 10 to negate the effect of all the CoD idiots and "hardcore gamers", but that wouldn't be right, would it? Opinions are still opinions, even if they are wrong. 9/10
  45. Jun 25, 2014
    If you judge this by how well it is made, it is a complete ten. I've played the entire XCOM series except Terror From the Deep and the UFO Aftermath spinoff. This is the best XCOM game I've ever seen. Yes, it is simplified and streamlined but in a good way.

However, this game follows the World of Warcraft formula. There is no real end in mind. The game has an ending but you level up to level up to get better gear to level up to level up. This creates addiction. The first time I've played it, I've did it for six hours straight and then deleted the game. I've installed it a second time and played eight hours in a day.

Since then I gave up on it. If you have a lot of time on your hands, it is worth it. It has enough variety to keep you surprised, the level up system is extremely addicting and the story is very good. It combines a techno-military-thriller feel with hunting aliens. Even if the graphics are not that realistic (by design), it has a very strong military vibe to it.

I wish I had the 50 - 100 hours to finish it (with Enemy Within). However, the second time I've woke up at 02:00 AM in my bed, with my girlfriend sleeping still playing this game, I've realized I've gone too far and deleted it right away.

As a bonus though, it works great on integrated graphics. Since it is turn base you don't need big FPS but even on an Intel HD 4000 I can play it on low with decent graphics. If you tweak the ini file a bit, you'll gain 15 - 30 FPS right of the bat.

So it is hard not to give this a 10 / 10 but since there is no end in mind to it, I won't play it. It follows the same formula as Call of Duty, as World of Warcraft, as Civilization 5. And it works. If only this game was released 10 years ago when I had the time for it.

One last thing, the action is not that hard.

As long as you equip your soldiers with the right weapons (or better yet, the MEC suits in the expansion which are way overpowered in the early stages) and place them in cover, that's about the entire strategy you are going to get.

I could place my sniper high or throw a flashbang or ruin their cover with a rocket but why do so?

It is enough to place three MEC suits in front, three people in cover, preferably the support class that can fire twice after the upgrade and press "1" and "space" for every single one of them. It works for a large section of the game.

If you follow the instructions, capture the aliens, do the right research, it is hard not to overpower every alien you meet.
  46. Jun 23, 2014
    XCOM is a great game. It does have a few annoying flaws however: Every time you mess up, which will probably happen every now and then, you can't access the menus during the enemies' turn. That means you have to watch 1-2 minutes of your team dying or restart the game, instead of being able to reload instantly.
    Same problem with your soldiers' class: It's randomly chosen after the first
    Same problem with your soldiers' class: It's randomly chosen after the first level up instead of letting you pick it. There are ways to get the class you want, but it's still a stupid design decision.
    I get what they're trying to do with these things, but let people play however the hell they want, damn it.

Except for these things, it's a great strategy game.
  47. Jun 18, 2014
    Loved the game. Just had to write a review to say i gave it a 10 because 2 many ppl give it 0 cus they have no clue about anything. For real its 9 in my eyes. Go play!
  48. Jun 11, 2014
    I have always been a huge fan of Firaxis Games. I love the Civilization games and was very interested to try XCOM: Enemy Unknown, to see how a new spin on turn-based strategy might play out. I was pleasantly surprised. The game is very fun and very addictive. It's also challenging and forces you to try different strategies to finally win.

It's not without it's faults, however. The

It's not without it's faults, however. The game has some pretty bad line of sight issues and the AI can sometimes seem glitchy. However, these issues are not constant and overall don't detract from the fun and addictive gameplay. I also wish the XCOM base progression wasn't as repetitive and mundane. It's still fun, but gets a little old toward the end of the game.

All in all, I have many more praises than complaints and I highly recommend this game for anyone, let alone those gamers that love turn-based strategy!
  49. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese al pavor que tenía porque lo hubieran hecho mal, es un digno sucesor del juego original (que es uno de mis favoritos). Han tenido que simplificar algunas mecánicas y parte de la gestión pero sigue teniendo ese regusto a batalla épica a la desesperada que te generaba el primero. Vale la pena comprarlo aunque es una lástima que el multi no te dejen jugar en cooperativo contra los aliens.
  50. Jun 7, 2014
    Amazing game. I was a bit worried if it will live up to the fame of the cult classic form 94 or if it will be entertaining enough in this day and age, but this was a 40hours long ride full of fun for me. Engaging tactical battles, politics, research, HQ building, DeusEx style music and atmosphere, great story, some surprising voice actors I've recognized like the scientist from LOST'sAmazing game. I was a bit worried if it will live up to the fame of the cult classic form 94 or if it will be entertaining enough in this day and age, but this was a 40hours long ride full of fun for me. Engaging tactical battles, politics, research, HQ building, DeusEx style music and atmosphere, great story, some surprising voice actors I've recognized like the scientist from LOST's orientation videos, Im completely satisfied here. Yes, it has been a bit simplified compared to the original, but that's understandable and it doesn't ruin the experience. My only complain is the lack of customization for your squad since building your dream squad is the main fun here, at least for me, the final battle also left kinda weak impression as I have headshotted the final boss in one turn, but other than that, this is an awesome reboot of the X-COM classic. 9/10 Expand
  51. Jun 1, 2014
    This is a game that doesn't care to be balanced. It only cares to be great, awesome and to give you the most nerve-wracking hardcore experience ever! On Classic difficulty, this game is all-fury and no balance and it is awesome! You will scream and bite your nails as your troops get slaughtered, your interceptors shot down and countries It doesn't care about casual gamers and it doesn'tThis is a game that doesn't care to be balanced. It only cares to be great, awesome and to give you the most nerve-wracking hardcore experience ever! On Classic difficulty, this game is all-fury and no balance and it is awesome! You will scream and bite your nails as your troops get slaughtered, your interceptors shot down and countries It doesn't care about casual gamers and it doesn't care to be fair. If you don't have the balls to play then go back to your casual games! I can't wait to buy the expansion! My only regret is that I didn't buy this game earlier! Expand
  52. May 1, 2014
    Turn based strategy at its finest with a variety of gameplay options. Play it on ironman where every decision matters. Nothing beats the moment when your favorite Sniper (named after yourself, of course) is down to one health bar, low on ammo, Thin Men dropping in from everywhere, and your Support Class Girl sits on the other end of the map. Be sure to get the excellent Enemy Within as well.
  53. Mar 8, 2014
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.
    It was a long time since i had a game with more than 50 hours of playing in a week.
    Since i never play the X-COM classics before, i'm not the one who gonna spit on that game because of some lack of fidelity from the original series, which seems to be what people was most criticizing about. Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.

Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and it's not so well explored. You'll have to manage resources, research alien materials, train and customize your soldiers, capture aliens alive to study them, build facilities, weapons, gadgets, robots, all kind of features to help you to deal with an unknown alien menace.

The biggest part of this game is at turn-based strategy battles, with a third person point of view on shooting enemies or doing another actions.

I got some minor bugs, mostly concerned the camera movement, which can be very annoying some times, but nothing truly deal breaker.
  54. Feb 14, 2014
    I love this game, every character you make gets you attached to them, i already have completed it, and its just... BEYOND amazing! I love all the different alien types and i would not be playing it if it weren't for a youtuber!
  55. Feb 14, 2014
    I never played old xcom, but it don't regret that. This game has some bugs like shooting through walls, weird angles of shooting, very rare freeze after animations, but overall game is fantastic :) On the higher levels with second wave options game i really hard and requiring. Maybe there's not many options as it old xcom had, but in my opinion there's a lot of things and research to obtain :)
  56. Feb 8, 2014
    I've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strangeI've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strange camera angle. It is also rather slow during those scenes at times I'm thinking just shoot didn't I tell him to attack what's going on? Then he shoots finally. It also occasionally crashes for so no apparent reason. It could use another coat of polish but other than that it's a great game. Expand
  57. Jan 29, 2014
    I am an XCOM fan and I find this is an awesome reboot of the series. Unfortunately the story is a bit short. The Slingshot DLC requires a replay of the game once installed hence for those fans out there, make sure you purchase this DLC upfront else you will need to spend another 40 odd hours to replay the whole lot!!!

I am looking forward with Enemy Within DLC but for the price of USD

I am looking forward with Enemy Within DLC but for the price of USD 39 on just an expansion....I'll wait for a good deal
  58. Jan 23, 2014
    I personally didn't like strategy games until i played Xcom:Enemy Unknown.With updated graphic and a nice gameplay.even though it's not a 100% remake of the UFO:EU,It's still fantastic.With improve combat system and tactical system.
  59. Jan 17, 2014
    This is my first XCOM game, and it is a solid game.

Apparently, according to many fans of the previous one, this XCOM game is less creepier and overall less complex and streamlined. To be honest, despite being simplified, I was still quite challenged by Classic and Impossible modes. Perhaps due to the rather stringent starting conditions that you were given, and the huge tactical
    This is my first XCOM game, and it is a solid game.

To be honest, despite being simplified, I was still quite challenged by Classic and Impossible modes. Perhaps due to the rather stringent starting conditions that you were given, and the huge tactical advantage the enemy possessed.

Under those reviews, they talked about inventory management affecting movement and reload speeds, manual lighting, and targettable cover, all of which sounds pretty interesting without a doubt, some of which even made me feel like I was missing out on.

However, that doesn't necessarily make this a poor game, certainly not 0, even if you were trying to downvote..which isn't necessary at all, the good reviews themselves aren't all 10s anyways. And an 8 feels pretty justified in my books.

This is a great turn-based game. Graphics are decent, too.
    The story is short, and is somewhat linear, as with its game progression.
    Since the achievements are based on replayability, the storyline is kinda overlooked.
    The game progression however, feels constrained. Especially on the harder levels where every level pretty much fights the same if you want your team to come out in one piece.
    Now if there were a bit more leeway in the characters themselves, a few more special moves in the higher tier skills to compensate their weaknesses a bit more, that would make the gameplay much more flexible and enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a fun solid game. Well worth the christmas sale.
  60. Jan 12, 2014
    A solid game, great graphics and sound. Good ui and easy to learn, good story and interesting. I'm not a RTS player but this game hits the mark and well. The only complaint I have was a minor glitch where the enemies shots would go through walls and objects and hit you, other than that its a great game.
  61. Jan 8, 2014
    Just finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading theirJust finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading their weapons and armor through research/capturing/killing the enemies. I found the game play on the challenging side, but I enjoy that in turn based tactical games. Expand
  62. Jan 8, 2014
    I haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPSI haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPS games this is the game for you. Expand
  63. Dec 23, 2013
    This game is an excellent product. A good reboot and remake of the original XCOM videogame. This is what we needed to play again against the Alien invaders. It is immersive, difficult and well balanced. Definitely a must have both for nostalgists and for strategy gamers alike
  64. Dec 16, 2013
    I really enjoyed XCOM. The gameplay is fun and addicting and you always have the option to load a previous save if you troops start dying and you are afraid of losing someone important or losing the mission. I did find that the equipping soldier loadout aspect of the game quite annoying however. I really wish the developers had integrated a button or function that would remove all specialI really enjoyed XCOM. The gameplay is fun and addicting and you always have the option to load a previous save if you troops start dying and you are afraid of losing someone important or losing the mission. I did find that the equipping soldier loadout aspect of the game quite annoying however. I really wish the developers had integrated a button or function that would remove all special armor and weapons from the soliders rather than have me spend 15 minutes looking through every soldier to find my 6th ghost armour for the squad. Expand
  65. Dec 1, 2013
    I LOVE THIS GAME.
    I've never played any of the predecessors prior to XCOM Enemy Unknown and this game straight injected addiction into my ready and open veins.
    After I downloaded and started playing..... I.... could.....not.....get off of it. If you like tactical turn based strategy. THIS GAME IS A MUST!!! Only thing I didn't like about it... was there is no auto save feature....
    I LOVE THIS GAME.

If you like tactical turn based strategy. THIS GAME IS A MUST!!!

Only thing I didn't like about it... was there is no auto save feature.... so pro tip: SAVE OFTEN.
    it'll prevent headaches lol

GREAT GAME
  66. Nov 22, 2013
    Very good game, and is a good tradition holder from the original xcom. It does not has many flaws, Mainly i would have prefered to be able to play with more than 6 soldiers at a time, and the lack of alien assault in the player base removes one of the best moments in the original game. But it is solid and very well done.
  67. Nov 19, 2013
    I must say this X-Com remake is WAY better than i expected. Sure it has been "dumbed down" compared to the classics, but it still feels authentic. the graphics are decent, the camera in the vanilla game is a little bugged and clunky (but can easily be optimized with some mods). The campagin itself is brilliant, addictive and fun, one thing that bothers me personally is the fact, that youI must say this X-Com remake is WAY better than i expected. Sure it has been "dumbed down" compared to the classics, but it still feels authentic. the graphics are decent, the camera in the vanilla game is a little bugged and clunky (but can easily be optimized with some mods). The campagin itself is brilliant, addictive and fun, one thing that bothers me personally is the fact, that you can only have one base and one Skyranger which makes keeping all the states happy, a pain in the arse. Another big minus ist the Multiplayer. It really lacks feature like an option to play together with a player against AI which a) shouldn't be that hard to include in a turned based game and b) would improve the playability and replayability of the game imense. But despite those minor issues, it's one of the best turnedbased strategy games since ages. Expand
  68. Nov 18, 2013
    A wonderful resurrection of a neglected genre, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is simultaneously a breath of fresh air and a nod to a time when games were designed to be fun, not to extract money from customers in an endless parade of overpriced DLC. There are no horrible micro-transactions, no stupid online requirements...just good old-fashioned fun. A full game at a fair price, I can't say enoughA wonderful resurrection of a neglected genre, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is simultaneously a breath of fresh air and a nod to a time when games were designed to be fun, not to extract money from customers in an endless parade of overpriced DLC. There are no horrible micro-transactions, no stupid online requirements...just good old-fashioned fun. A full game at a fair price, I can't say enough about how refreshing that feels! The gameplay could be a bit more developed, XCOM could use more tactical options, and less streamlining....but given the shortage of good turn based games, this one is a true gem. I look forward to a full, robust sequel. Expand
  69. Nov 6, 2013
    Fire Emblem with guns? Pretty much- you must get this game if you love strategy/RPGs. I loved this game for its story, its gameplay for giving players the ability (and responsibility) to make choices that affect the resistance to alien invasion. Best of all, I loved having my soldiers rank up and become specialists. The game is well thought out, as enemies generally spawn in randomFire Emblem with guns? Pretty much- you must get this game if you love strategy/RPGs. I loved this game for its story, its gameplay for giving players the ability (and responsibility) to make choices that affect the resistance to alien invasion. Best of all, I loved having my soldiers rank up and become specialists. The game is well thought out, as enemies generally spawn in random locations so you can’t just restart a level once you know where the enemy is. My only regret about this game is that once you really get the ball rolling with powerful soldiers, weapons, and income, the game ends rather abruptly. Other than that (and some production issues, like being able to shoot through solid objects to hit targets), the game is nearly flawless. Expand
  70. Nov 3, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game and it is by far one of the best turn-based strategy game I have played. Playing on classic ironman is tense and challenging. However there is a couples of things that puts me off from giving it a higher than 8:

1: Aliens 'teleporting' bugs, only got it once in a playthrough but it wiped my party as a sectoid, 5 chrysallids, 2 muton elites and 4 heavy floaters and 2 sectoid commanders were all dumped on me at spawn.

2. At higher difficulties one has to play very conservatively to not trigger additional spawns, which does get old after a while.
  71. Oct 31, 2013
    This game is superb! It stay's true to the spirit of the XCOM game we love from the early 90's. Despite some persistent glitches or inaccuracies. It is still a great game that is replay worthy. I have spent over 300 hours on this game as of this writing and still find it challenging, engrossing, and enjoyable.
  72. Oct 24, 2013
    A great game that can only be made to look negative by giving it a direct comparison with the original.

Story line is decent. Combat and developing your base & arsenal is greatly entertaining. Combat can feel a bit simplified at times as it is rather dumbed down, but is made more dynamic by the unit abilities gained through promotions. The game is not overly challenging although it

The game is not overly challenging although it may take more than one playthrough to really get a feel of what you should be doing early in the game.
  73. Oct 22, 2013
    There are quite a lot of butthurt original X-Com fanbois on here slamming this game and giving it 0 to 3-score reviews, which is utterly ridiculous. It’s like bashing a modern platformer b/c it doesn’t force you to get through 100 levels on 3 lives. XC: EU isn’t perfect but it’s still a lot of fun and doesn’t deserve to be trashed.

It may not be as complex as the original game but it is

It may not be as complex as the original game but it is still very tactical and turn-based, despite many claims here to the contrary. Not sure how some reviewers can compare this to Call of Duty or Mass Effect. Idiotic. There are still difficult decisions to make, as in do you dig open another level of your base, buy another plane, buy another satellite, or research better weapons? Should you investigate that UFO you just shot down or wait b/c your medic & sniper are still recovering from wounds and you’d have to take too many rookies into battle? If you don’t plan & pay attention to what you’re doing, you will have to start all over. You also end up getting attached to your squad members even though they never speak and it’s hard to resist the urge to reload when they die (or when you get faced with a very inconvenient random event between missions one game hour before finishing research on that new armor).

Some here are even complaining about the “cutscenes” during missions which are actually cinematic visuals of your characters doing what you tell them to do. Sorry, I never got tired of the camera zooming in on one of my guys rounding a corner & shotgunning a baddie at point blank range, or my sniper coolly raising up his rifle & blasting another before they could attack a vulnerable squad mate in the next turn. These are a very cool touch.

Where I will knock the game is that battles do feel a bit skewed in the AI’s favor. Whenever you stumble upon the enemy, they always see you and essentially get a free movement turn to shuffle around. So if the last guy you move in a turn happens to be the one the aliens see, they immediately get a free move and then will move right away again since their movement turn just started, which most likely means they will swarm whichever squad member is closest. This makes most levels take a long time unless you reload after finding out where the baddies are, as you don’t want to move around the map too quickly.

And the battles do end up becoming a bit tiresome by the time you reach the end of the game. No way around that after sinking hours & hours into the game.

Overall, though, it’s an excellent game. Regardless of whether or not the original X-Com is better, XC: EU stands on its own as a great experience.
  74. Oct 22, 2013
    I can't believe I waited a year to play this title. This is a stunning, stunning game. I can't speak of the older X-COM games as it was before my time, but I'm really surprised that this reboot is getting ANY negative reviews whatsoever.

The major complaint seems to be that it's "dumbed down" from fans of the overall franchise. I don't think this is the case. The difficulty level here is fine; I can imagine it's been streamlined somewhat to make it more accessible to the modern gamer, but that was to be expected. X-COM fans of old need to ask themselves a question; would you rather have a game that has a multitude of vaguely thought out features that could foreseeably ruin the project, or a streamlined experience which is highly polished and still a challenge worthy of the franchise?

Because XCOM: EU is a top, top strategy title. There's no doubt in my mind that Firaxis have done this franchise proud here. I'll go back and play the older titles, and I'll probably prefer them too, but there's no reason to hate on this game at all.
  75. Oct 21, 2013
    It's pretty sad that some die-hard UFO defense fans are downrating this game just because it fell short of their expectation. As a self-contained item, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a genuinely great game. I'll keep this short. The soundtrack is alright, the gameplay is excellent, and the presentation is wonderful. Soldier customization personalizes characters and in combination with theIt's pretty sad that some die-hard UFO defense fans are downrating this game just because it fell short of their expectation. As a self-contained item, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a genuinely great game. I'll keep this short. The soundtrack is alright, the gameplay is excellent, and the presentation is wonderful. Soldier customization personalizes characters and in combination with the brilliant ironman mode, it can be pretty crushing to see them die. There aren't a whole lot of maps, and it can be repetitive after continuous play, but technological developments tend to refresh the gameplay and keep it interesting.

In brief summary:
    Good
    - Addictive, relatively deep gameplay
    - Extremely strong presentation
    - Extensive customization options
    Bad
    - The amount of RNG (basically luck based gameplay) may irritate some.
    - Not as in-depth as it could have been.
    - Becomes a little bit repetitive.
  76. Oct 18, 2013
    Xcom is a great game. Far from perfect. It has those cheap shots, and those 3% never going to hit it shots that really change the entire game. One shot can change everything about a campaign. For the better, or for the worse. Impossible mode is just pure evil... which is why I love playing it
  77. Oct 17, 2013
    I liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the gameI liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the game over-emphasises a slow defensive approach this makes battles take far longer as you tediously move each squad member forward between alien encounters. It's not a massive problem for most of the game, but then you get to the final the story missions, one of which is basically a long, long corridor. It's just tedious moving your guys forwards. In the end, I just got sick of moving guys around arbitrarily and packed it in. Still had a fun 20 hrs with the game, which is pretty huge given I'm not a strategy fan. Expand
  78. Oct 17, 2013
    I am not a turn-base game player, but this one caught my eye. It was on sale at steam for around 10.00 USD. I jumped on it. I can't put it down. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because I play on easy mode since I am not to familiar with TBS games, but as it turns out, the game becomes difficult, very difficult.
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at the level I am at.
    Warning: Do not name your soldiers with Family names. You will end up restarting and becoming sad when they die. LOL
    Great game. If it ever goes on sale at Steam again, grab it. Don't pass this one up
  79. Oct 15, 2013
    This was my first foray into the Xcom genre and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. This game delivers on all levels. Overall I found the game very entertaining. I've almost 80 hours played and still holding my interest. The graphics and music are good. The missions are challenging but fair. The overall game play is great and fun. The only reason this wasn't a 10 is that I wouldThis was my first foray into the Xcom genre and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. This game delivers on all levels. Overall I found the game very entertaining. I've almost 80 hours played and still holding my interest. The graphics and music are good. The missions are challenging but fair. The overall game play is great and fun. The only reason this wasn't a 10 is that I would have liked to see some additional tactical choices available on missions and some of the skills you can purchase build off of each other but this is not apparent the first time through (because you can't see the locked skills). Expand
  80. Oct 13, 2013
    I resisted buying this game for some time, but picked it up during a good Steam sale. Glad I did! Although I never played the original XCOM all the talk of the dumbing down of the game worried me. I cant talk to it as a comparison to the original, but overall in its current form it is fun.

Most missions feel short, but in a good way, you can boot up the game and do a quick mission while working on something else, or do some base management. I would have like a more detailed record for my squad mates (Kills, date of promotions, awards being given, times wounded) but at least the memorial is a nice touch.

Even well after this game came out it is worth picking up in my opinion.
  81. Oct 13, 2013
    My first XCOM game ever, definitely not the last one. I don't know original XCOM from early '90, but I know that is a bit worse, that the first version (Microprose always made awesome games).
    Game is sometimes too simple (alien's AI could be better), sometimes is too hard (massive misses from soldiers, even with HIGH aim skill). It also have few annoying bugs camera works, hud bugs (guard/reload with few soldiers), critical wounded soldiers in final mission or atack on ufo-base. Could have more maps after all, could have more soldiers nations and more countries (if I'm allowed to lose 8 countries from the total number of (about) twenty, it's too easy).
    But, besides that, it's really great piece of work. Not so easy as almost every game this days (even GTA looks too easy, San Andreas was last one really cool piece of hard work), have an AMAZING soundtrack (Michael McCann still sounds amazing, just as he did in DX:HR), and still give you at least 30-50 hours of playing. Including the top difficulty level (which is really tough) and Ironman mode you could gain even about 100 hours of playing. And that is definitely good score.
    One more thing "One more turn" syndrome is absolutely here. It only happens to me with a few games (SCII, Age of Empires, Football Manager), so, at least for me, it's worth buying and playing.
    It could be more difficult to gain access to all discoverable goodies from aliens, but that's probably only mine opinion.
  82. Oct 9, 2013
    hey guys, guess what: it's not a free roaming game! So what? cmon, we know that from 1993! How can you give a 0 for that?? And no, you cannot just click randomly with left mouse button to beat this game (i'd rather say difficulty here is below your average tbs games, imho, not to mention comparing to previous Xcom's).
    It's fun and engrossing. When you start capturing foes to learn their
    It's fun and engrossing. When you start capturing foes to learn their weak spots or equipping your soldiers with ultimate weapons and armor, entertainment goes through the ceiling.
    If you think gaming is about fun, get this great product. If you like to dissect everything to test your ability to show off how some cleverness, well you don't belong here. Try rubik's cube or Nouvelle Vague movies.
  83. Oct 7, 2013
    Very entertaining strategy game, even for a guy like me who hasn't played the original Xcom. Game is very challenging and nearly sadistic punishing on higher difficulty levels, not that it is a bad thing. Every move has to be planned carefully and charging in without a plan causes you to be squashed like a bug. This is a must buy for any strategy game fan.
  84. Oct 6, 2013
    Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome:Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome: Total War, Dues Ex and XCom are the juggernauts of the medium.

It was a brave choice to remake it, because they were never going to fully win over the faithful. But on the other hand, it would be sad to let it die. All in all, it's not perfect, but it does the heritage justice.

Assuming you've played the original, long story short: The battles are far more exciting, the campaign is dumbed down.

Battles: Still turn based. Time units are gone, replaced with 2 action points. Move and shoot, move and snap shot (now called overwatch), move and ability (or item) or move and move. Seems overly simplistic, but the balance of unit types and terrain keeps it from getting too tedious.

The Good: You won't spend 10 minutes looking for the one last alien whose camped out in a house for some reason. Faster battles, more shooting, feels like a battle instead of a hunt. Unit types are broken down by classes, which makes squad assembly a lot easier, but in a good way.

The bad: The enemies "patrol," which means they agro when you see them. There is very little AI on their part. They rarely retreat. They also get a bonus move where they move to cover whether they move into your zone or you move into theirs.

Campaign: Pretty familiar. You pick a location for your base and build up. You can only have one base and the aliens never attack it. Scientists and Engineers are awarded as mission bonuses and over time, more or less.

Good: It's pretty close to the original. Combat gear is expensive to build, but you never lose it.

Bad: Dumbed down. No additional bases, no base attacks, half the building options are completely unnecessary. Even though 2/4 of the unit types are specialized, your soldiers advance at the same rate, leaving you with a ton of snipers and heavies that you never use and never enough Assault and Support units. Once you build the Firestorm, you will never lose an aerial battle.

Overall: Do everything in your power to build satellites in the beginning game and after a few months you won't be for want of money.

Misc note: Any veteran player will want to play on Ironman mode, where any death on the battlefield is permanent. But the game isn't really set up for that, unless you play it perfectly. In the original, there were low level missions intermixed with the higher ones, so you could level up your B and C squad without thinking too much about it. In this one, if you are smart with your research priorities, you've got 10-20 missions in the whole game. You have to deliberately bring lower units on important missions (they are all important). A squad wipe halfway through the game can be the end. Once the heavy enemies start showing up, unless you have a good squad, you're done for. Ironman mode seems to be a last minute addition.

Ending Thoughts: This is a great game. I love it. It has a few flaws that keep it from being perfect. But if you were a fan, you will probably like it. I wish it was a bit more complex, but you can't have everything. I wish there were more to it, but it's the best sequel to the original, and I include all the official sequels in there.
  85. Oct 6, 2013
    My only issue with this game was the LACKING multiplayer. Limited maps (like 8 i believe) and repetition. The single player is fleshed out however, with soldier customization, and cool base customization.
  86. Oct 6, 2013
    XCOM Enemy Unknown is a truly unique strategy game. With the countless "strategy" games that are dumbed down to the point where everyone can beat the hardest mode in a single long weekend, this is a breath of fresh air. You can actually lose the game and have to start over completely! I missed those games. Not only do you need to plan out moves in missions, but you need to plan out longXCOM Enemy Unknown is a truly unique strategy game. With the countless "strategy" games that are dumbed down to the point where everyone can beat the hardest mode in a single long weekend, this is a breath of fresh air. You can actually lose the game and have to start over completely! I missed those games. Not only do you need to plan out moves in missions, but you need to plan out long term political and investment strategies. You can't make everyone (Countries in the game, resources, etc) happy. You need to strike a balance that will ensure long term success. The actual combat is great as well. It is turn based, and primarily about positioning and using the right weapons at the right time. Weapon choices could have used a bit more strategy, but missions are still fun. When you screw up and get a team member killed, they are dead. You can run out of soldiers in the long run if too reckless. You can also save at any time, so short term mistakes are fixable, long term ones are not. Expand
  87. Oct 5, 2013
    Great fast paced game play and the control of your base of operations is awesome, and the ability to rename and customise your squad makes the combat personal
  88. Oct 3, 2013
    Excellent Tactical Rpg. You cant really compare to the older version due to technology, but on its own compared to what available it stands out. Its a very unforgiving difficult combat but that how it should be, people whining its too hard is what lead to dumbdowned games. There was some bugs like MObs spawning on top your team and graphical error when entering alien mothership but theyExcellent Tactical Rpg. You cant really compare to the older version due to technology, but on its own compared to what available it stands out. Its a very unforgiving difficult combat but that how it should be, people whining its too hard is what lead to dumbdowned games. There was some bugs like MObs spawning on top your team and graphical error when entering alien mothership but they seems to been patched, has good replay ability due to you could always research technology differently, play in different area and 2nd wave. Good hard strategy game Keep it coming and make them harder Expand
  89. Oct 2, 2013
    Simplemente brillante. He jugado a casi todos los juegos de la serie, y no recordaba haber disfrutado tanto desde el Apocalypse. Han dado con la tecla, una maravilla en todos los sentidos.
  90. Sep 22, 2013
    While it is buggy as hell, it also has a lot of charm, and it certainly reminds me of the original XCOM, but with an interface you can clearly understand.
    It also gets a few new DLCs occasionally, and seeing the new XCOM Enemy Within DLC trailer, I will certainly throw more money at the developers.
  91. Sep 18, 2013
    I have never played another game in the X-COM series and don't have much experience with turn and squad based tactical games like this but I was not disappointed with X-COM. The ant-farm approach to the base management mini-game is a nice touch and killing aliens is fun. Save your games a lot and go for satellite coverage above all else and you'll do fine, the game is hard even on easyI have never played another game in the X-COM series and don't have much experience with turn and squad based tactical games like this but I was not disappointed with X-COM. The ant-farm approach to the base management mini-game is a nice touch and killing aliens is fun. Save your games a lot and go for satellite coverage above all else and you'll do fine, the game is hard even on easy (at least for me). Expand
  92. Sep 17, 2013
    Great game, probably a bit too easy for players of the old ones. It's a bit dumbed down for the console players... I not really liked that but hey we life in times were you have to sell your games to masses of noobs. Still a really good remake.
  93. Sep 14, 2013
    This is XCOM: Enemy Unknown, not quite like the first one, but a good reboot on it's own. I just miss some features that were on the first game and they didn't include them in this version (multiple bases, alien retaliation attacks, more ships, more weapon tiers...) but still, I've liked the game much. I have like +200 hours played, and always enjoyed it, specially on Classic andThis is XCOM: Enemy Unknown, not quite like the first one, but a good reboot on it's own. I just miss some features that were on the first game and they didn't include them in this version (multiple bases, alien retaliation attacks, more ships, more weapon tiers...) but still, I've liked the game much. I have like +200 hours played, and always enjoyed it, specially on Classic and Impossible difficulties (always Ironman). If you don't know the series, it's a good introduction, and way less complicated than the first. Buy it. Expand
  94. Sep 12, 2013
    Where to start? Well, the opening that plays once you start a new game makes me want to paint half my face blue and stomp aliens while wearing a kilt. The games atmosphere continually reminds you that you are earth's last line of defense in her finest hour. And like many other people, I also found myself getting attached to my soldiers as they leveled, and swore payback when a luckyWhere to start? Well, the opening that plays once you start a new game makes me want to paint half my face blue and stomp aliens while wearing a kilt. The games atmosphere continually reminds you that you are earth's last line of defense in her finest hour. And like many other people, I also found myself getting attached to my soldiers as they leveled, and swore payback when a lucky shot killed a squad mate. And along those same lines, hearing my heavy weapons chick yell "ooo-rah!" when she throws a grenade is as awesome as watching it blow a hole in a building.

The story is cool, not the most mind blowing but definitely not the worst I've encountered. The main characters you interact with in your base aren't mind blowing either, aside from Central Officer Bradford. I can't really say why without spoilers, other than when he speaks I really feel like I'm listening to a military officer who is dedicated to saving the earth and at the same time preserving the lives of XCOM soldiers. Definite kudos to that voice actor.

Another pro in my book is the interesting take on turn based combat. They did to turn based combat what Skyrim did to RPG statas and skills. What I mean by that is they simplified things while not dumbing them down. There are no turn points. You can move and then take an action, or move twice in what is called a dash, or take an action without moving. And that concludes a soldiers turn. An action would be firing, reloading, activating an ability or using an item. So it's not like there still isn't tactics involved. If you don't outsmart the aliens (or just make a goofy move because you've been playing this game instead of sleeping) they will paint the local scenery with your soldier's faces. It's just that they've simplified the steps you take to direct your orchestra of alien face-splosions. And the cinematic camera that shows kill shots is sweet when you pop an alien, painful when you realize you just screwed up and lost a high ranking soldier.

The game was a bit buggy at launch, but the only time it acts weird on me now is when the level has multiple heights involved. Sometimes I have trouble selecting troops, but thankfully there is a handy next button.

I find the games normal and classic difficulties to be quite a jump, and playing classic Ironman (ironman no saving unless you exit) can be extremely frustrating. I crushed normal but I have gone through a lot of restarts on classic. I feel like part of the problem is luck. It is extremely hard to go through an entire game without getting several missions back to back, or having a couple variants of the "if we attack you we will totally one-shot your brains all over the map" aliens spawn just in front of your starting zone.

Bottom Line: This is a well made game. If you like turn based strategy and watching with glee as you use your wits to violently welcome alien face to earth ground, give this game a go. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close. I bought this on sale for $20, but I'd pay 50 or 60 for it and not feel ripped off. Also, this has been said, but if you need game sequels to be just like the first game do not buy this. There is an open source game called UFO:AI that you would probably prefer in that case.
  95. Sep 6, 2013
    Xcom: Enemy Unknown like its predecessor is a well-crafted turn-based strategy game. Here is the story so far: Some nasty aliens have invaded earth and it’s time for humanity to fight back, the elite unit known as XCOM is ready for the job and you are the commander, so the destiny of the world is in your hands. How you handle this situation is up to you, from squad management (hiring,Xcom: Enemy Unknown like its predecessor is a well-crafted turn-based strategy game. Here is the story so far: Some nasty aliens have invaded earth and it’s time for humanity to fight back, the elite unit known as XCOM is ready for the job and you are the commander, so the destiny of the world is in your hands. How you handle this situation is up to you, from squad management (hiring, promoting, and upgrading your soldiers), alien technology, gear and aircraft research, you probably will have a lot of fun customizing your squad. This game is deep and yes it’s also hard, do not expect any mercy from the AI, even at lower difficulties so you have to play safe and you have to play smart if you want to succeed, also you need to be careful with the resources you manage. Overall, the graphics are nice and the animations are awesome, so if you like turn based strategy games, then you are gonna love this one. Expand
  96. i0n
    Sep 3, 2013
    Quite simply one of the most engaging, well designed games I have played in years. Even those who don't usually play turn-based strategy games will get something from this. The graphics are slick, gameplay mechanics are polished, and there is nothing else in the genre as refined as this title right now. Outstanding game and I can't recommend it enough. Brilliant.
  97. Aug 21, 2013
    While no where as deep as the originals, the gameplay has been stripped down to it's essential elements and refined to match the gameplay innovations made since its first release in the mid-90s.

Is it perfect? Far from it. The simplicity of the game leaves much to be desired, but even with all of that said, it --is-- Xcom and a better product than even Xcom Apocalypse. However, I

However, I must rate it one point lower for absolutely no mod support, which is critical for these sorts of games.
  98. Aug 21, 2013
    X-COM:Enemy Unknown is one of those really good turn based strategy. Half of the game is spent planning, researching and building in the X-COM HQ and the rest is spent out on the field. However neither fells like a gimmick on the other. In the base you'll feel either excited to use your new tech, or terrified that you could lose more soldiers. In the field you'll long for the time when youX-COM:Enemy Unknown is one of those really good turn based strategy. Half of the game is spent planning, researching and building in the X-COM HQ and the rest is spent out on the field. However neither fells like a gimmick on the other. In the base you'll feel either excited to use your new tech, or terrified that you could lose more soldiers. In the field you'll long for the time when you can get back to base hopefully with a full squad. Since mission are, for the most part randomly generated it has a huge replay value. While the story is a little lack luster there are some good moral moments and the gameplay makes up for it. Expand
  99. Aug 16, 2013
    I like the idea of this remake well executed really good graphics, cover system works beautifully you feel really attached to your soldiers simply well done
    that being said ,as an XCOM fun I can say I really am missing the ability to send a group of 10 -15 soldiers to the battle
    or manage more then one base hopefully this features will be added in future XCOM games for now GREAT
    or manage more then one base
    hopefully this features will be added in future XCOM games
    for now GREAT FUN GAME
    if you're not playing it ,you are missing out
  100. Aug 15, 2013
    Feels like an old fashioned computer game from the era of the Commodore Amiga. Has pretty good cartoon style graphics which create a tangible, tense atmosphere with rain, smoke etc. The controls are fairly intuitive and orientating in the world easy once you get the hang of it. An addictive game play which you can save when you want, so can squeeze in a few turns when you have a spareFeels like an old fashioned computer game from the era of the Commodore Amiga. Has pretty good cartoon style graphics which create a tangible, tense atmosphere with rain, smoke etc. The controls are fairly intuitive and orientating in the world easy once you get the hang of it. An addictive game play which you can save when you want, so can squeeze in a few turns when you have a spare moment or play all evening.

The strategic elements of how to manage Xcom interlock well with tactical phases of your squad. The tactical turn based activities are tense I've cursed an operative for missing a crucial shot or freaking out at the worst possible moment. The aliens are unpredictable enough. The game world builds up well. Each game turning out different enough, providing a good level of replay-ability.

A solid, fairly unique game. Well worth under £10 on steam sale.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.