8.1

1. Nov 13, 2014
    Having never played a turn-based game, I decided to take the plunge into XCOM after seeing so many positive reviews for it. At first, the experience was ecstatic. I clocked in over 20 hours' playtime in a weekend! I was expecting the gameplay to be very dull, not accessible and for all the base management to be confusing and overly complex. But I was wrong - this game couldn't be any moreHaving never played a turn-based game, I decided to take the plunge into XCOM after seeing so many positive reviews for it. At first, the experience was ecstatic. I clocked in over 20 hours' playtime in a weekend! I was expecting the gameplay to be very dull, not accessible and for all the base management to be confusing and overly complex. But I was wrong - this game couldn't be any more accessible and easy to get into. I loved the simplicity of the mechanics but the depth that it could present the player with. In terms of combat and variety in soldiers, aliens, customisation, level design etc. Enemy Unknown is fantastic. You will never play the same map twice, which is highly impressive - especially given the variety of areas. You really feel a sense of control and importance - the theme of being a commander during a time of crisis is portrayed nicely without being mundane. Every action, every turn, every decision feels meaningful. And that's perhaps the best thing one can say about this game. Later on however, you realise the flaws in its design.

Now, I'm the kind of gamer that likes perfection - I will restart until I get the result I want. Naturally, this isn't well-suited to turn-based games. Although I highly enjoyed the concept of XCOM and its gameplay, some design decisions and bugs make the game unplayable without the so called "save-scumming" tactic. The most noticeable issue is that of finding the aliens. The fog of war is so thick, your soldiers have to practically walk within a few tiles of the enemy to see them. But this is the real kicker: THEY GET TO MOVE EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT THEIR TURN! So many times I have been cheated by the game because I spent about 3 turns dashing forward not finding any enemies, and all of a sudden I move ONE TILE forward and a bunch of them appear out of nowhere and surround me DURING MY TURN! This is clearly unfair and really takes away from the tactical element. It's just plain cheap and bad design; although it's not game-breaking most of the time so I can cope with it. The second major issue I have is line of sight and chance to hit. I find that the percentage you see is almost compeltely random and counter-intuitive. So many times I have moved my soldier to a tactically better spot to increase my chances of hitting the enemy, only to lose sight of them or to lower my chances. Whoever did the calculations for hit percents clearly didn't test it in practice - there are so many ridiculous examples where you're next to the enemy and miss yet can have a high chance of hitting them from obscure angles and, in rare cases, through walls! Having played fast-paced action games for so long, the idea of turn-based combat did seem ridiculously novel at times. I mean, you can target an enemy that's directly behind another enemy but not hit the one shielding your target. The visual representation of the combat is horrific at best. Oftentimes, the games will show plasma on your character even if the alien missed you but it shows that it hit, and vice-versa. It's as if the graphics/UI team had no communication with the gameplay designers and those that code the mechanics. The camera issues in this game are inexcsuable. Especially for levels with verticality and those inside buildings, the isometric design really exposes how bad of a job the developers did of using Unreal Engine 3. First of all, framerate drops. Then, when you try to select your units or point to where you want them to go, it keeps moving about or there is so little consistency between what you see on screen and what's actually going on. It's kinda hard to describe, but once you play the game you'll see plenty of minor bugs and the occasional major one (e.g. my Hover SHIV got stuck in a wall and couldn't move). I have read reports of corrupted saves and problems with the autosave feature too.

Although XCOM is an unpredictable game, it is still linear in progression. It also has some scaling issues with the campaign; where you get all the awesome gear and have a kick-♥♥♥ base with the best weapons, jets, armour, research etc. only to be able to use them for a couple of missions before the end. In the latter half of the game, I had full satellite coverage and was drowning in money I might as well have wasted it. In early game, resource management feels really important and meaningful. Towards the end, you just sit on your wealth and can't really use your resources to help you further in combat. Although I think that's my playstyle. Indeed, XCOM is perhaps the best attempt I have encountered when it comes to balancing progression rewards with length of game.

Overall, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a game which convincingly sells the concept of Turn-Based strategy to those unfamiliar with the genre. However, the quality of its in-engine execution is shody and at the micro-mechanical level, it's almost broken. In terms of design and its vision, XCOM EU is ingenius. It definitely has replay value.
  2. Nov 30, 2013
    People who bash Dark Souls for its "Artificial Difficulty" haven't played Enemy Unknown. This game takes a well known PC series and consolifies it, dumbing down the base building to a single base, dumbing down the soldier customization into locked equipment slots with a shallow skill tree, and dumbing down the combat into praying you don't get flanked by enemies who get free turns and statPeople who bash Dark Souls for its "Artificial Difficulty" haven't played Enemy Unknown. This game takes a well known PC series and consolifies it, dumbing down the base building to a single base, dumbing down the soldier customization into locked equipment slots with a shallow skill tree, and dumbing down the combat into praying you don't get flanked by enemies who get free turns and stat bonuses. On Normal difficulty the game is too easy, with enemy AI being dumbed down... yet on Classic difficulty they get free accuracy and critical hit buffs. Ironman Mode is unplayable because one year after launch and there are still frequent bugs and crashes that will count your mission as a loss after you restart the game.

While you definitely get your money's worth with EU's lengthy campaign, be prepared for a lot of frustration due to your troops getting one-shotted regularly in the early missions, 3 marines missing their overwatch shot in the same turn on the same enemy, your troops shooting each other while panicked (in cover!), and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn until your unit is so kitted out they look like a Space Marine from W40k.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    The fair rating for this game is 8,5 (9 is too much, so I give 8). I didn't play the original UFO, so this is my first time trying these series. I liked the micromanagement of the base and the planet, I'd say that in some way it's even more interesting than the missions. The main negative thing is the bugs of aiming/chance-to-hit: you can miss point-blank or the enemy can crit you fromThe fair rating for this game is 8,5 (9 is too much, so I give 8). I didn't play the original UFO, so this is my first time trying these series. I liked the micromanagement of the base and the planet, I'd say that in some way it's even more interesting than the missions. The main negative thing is the bugs of aiming/chance-to-hit: you can miss point-blank or the enemy can crit you from afar and vice versa. Also I had Sectopod standing in the square where the door was ans my soldiers couldn't unlock that door. The other thing I wanted to mention is the messed up ending. But in total the game is enjoyable and fun to play. Expand
  4. Oct 14, 2012
    Superb. Feels very much like the real deal but with an updated engine and annoying fiddles removed.

I noticed one review saying they hated it because you can't save everyone and you will lose countries. Well.. Yes... You will.. Sorry that's unavoidable. It's about winning the war, not the battles and figuring out which countries you can cope without is a big part of the game. Also of

Also of note in this is the way you get attached to your soldiers as you build them up. To the point where you actually feel really bad if one of your favourites dies, which is sadly likely. And this is what makes it a dynamic unfolding drama of your own making rather than a lot of the super-structured games where you just win win win.

The tactical combat in this is genuinely brilliant. Cover and the use of flanking is VITAL in this game and all the better for it.
  5. Jan 3, 2013
    Vintage fun, I'm thinking, but it is rather streamlined in comparison to its predecessors. I remember UFO: Enemy Unknown rather fondly. Still, it's very enjoyable to play, and kept me playing; "I'll do one more mission" then ... "where'd the last three hours go?" It has some things wrong with it; the camera tends to spaz out at times, and the grenade throwing mechanic seems to work likeVintage fun, I'm thinking, but it is rather streamlined in comparison to its predecessors. I remember UFO: Enemy Unknown rather fondly. Still, it's very enjoyable to play, and kept me playing; "I'll do one more mission" then ... "where'd the last three hours go?" It has some things wrong with it; the camera tends to spaz out at times, and the grenade throwing mechanic seems to work like it's attached to an elastic band ... and the combat options are terrifically limited, but this stuff didn't impede my enjoyment of the game, the more difficult game modes are ridiculous though and I refuse to play them. Tactics completely goes out the window and everything is boiled down to a dice roll, essentially, which makes all your tactics redundant, irrelevant and makes the game seem a bit stupid and unfair in the process. Expand
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game had plenty of potential...Unfortunately they are mostly unexploited...My problems with the game boils down to these: 1. The maps are too small and repetitive (The makers of the game said the player will not see the same map during the campaign...Well that is not true) 2. The maps are too scripted (Enemies wait for the player to reach a trigger zone, than they start to move around and attack. They do not move around the map by themselves.)3. Weapon upgrades are too linear (Laser is better than simple projectile weapons, plasma is better than laser and projectile weapons etc.)4. The campaign is too short 5. Weak tactical layer (no stand, crouch, lay...) 6. Weak strategic layer (Build satellites, workshops, power generators, laboratories, and a few other building and that all...It is nothing like in the old UFO:EU) 7. You can't chose the nationality of your soldier (why can't we?) 8. You can't place your base where you want on the geospace (why can't we??) Expand
  7. Jun 7, 2014
    Amazing game. I was a bit worried if it will live up to the fame of the cult classic form 94 or if it will be entertaining enough in this day and age, but this was a 40hours long ride full of fun for me. Engaging tactical battles, politics, research, HQ building, DeusEx style music and atmosphere, great story, some surprising voice actors I've recognized like the scientist from LOST'sAmazing game. I was a bit worried if it will live up to the fame of the cult classic form 94 or if it will be entertaining enough in this day and age, but this was a 40hours long ride full of fun for me. Engaging tactical battles, politics, research, HQ building, DeusEx style music and atmosphere, great story, some surprising voice actors I've recognized like the scientist from LOST's orientation videos, Im completely satisfied here. Yes, it has been a bit simplified compared to the original, but that's understandable and it doesn't ruin the experience. My only complain is the lack of customization for your squad since building your dream squad is the main fun here, at least for me, the final battle also left kinda weak impression as I have headshotted the final boss in one turn, but other than that, this is an awesome reboot of the X-COM classic. 9/10 Expand
  8. Jul 14, 2013
    While there have been quite a few changes made to the original game UFO: Enemy Unknown (besides the obvious such as graphics and audio) they aren't so severe as to distance the game from its core mechanics which involves building a base, intercepting UFOs, training up your team and turning alien technology against them. Veterans of the series should still find this game fun and theWhile there have been quite a few changes made to the original game UFO: Enemy Unknown (besides the obvious such as graphics and audio) they aren't so severe as to distance the game from its core mechanics which involves building a base, intercepting UFOs, training up your team and turning alien technology against them. Veterans of the series should still find this game fun and the streamlined gameplay will attract younger strategy gamers to the turn-based tactics genre. Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2014
    A highly enjoyable and strategically strong game borders on being perfect aside from some annoying glitches and bugs. Fans of the turn based action games will enjoy and those looking for a challenge will love it.
  10. Aug 21, 2013
    It is probably wise to formulate an opinion about a game after all the hype is gone, and mind is more or less free of enhanced commercialism and subjectively stereotypical advertisement which are hypocritically aimed at a “specific consumer group”. With this in mind, let me jump to my opinion of the game “XCOM Enemy Unknown”.
    THE BAD:
    1. I am playing Patch 3, and the game is very buggy
    THE BAD:
    1. I am playing Patch 3, and the game is very buggy still: sometimes the cinematic slow-motion slows down to such a crawling speed that a restart of the game is required (forced task end); when I change the Race of a soldier, the Hair style inevitably changes as well, and in a few clicks choses a Helmet, so the face of the soldier is not visible; when a Sniper is using a grappling hook, she can jump to unreachable places (going through the ceiling of the UFO, for example) and gets stock there; after reviving a critically wound soldier, my soldiers are unable to move (happens rarely, but still). I could go on listing minor bugs that plague this game, which at this point should really be a polished joy ride.
    2. The game is not polished (as stated above), and its sharp corners keep poking you while you are trying to dive into its atmosphere: the explanations of items (weapons, armor, vehicles, etc.) are very vague some of them being actually incorrect at all (for an example refer to Arc Weapon on XCOM WiKi); when selling items on Grey Market, you cannot input numbers and need to click (however many times) on the arrow, selling items one-by-one, which is a major turn down when you have 700 Elirium, and want to sell 300 (the math in clicks is obvious); when a Soldier levels up, his uniform color changes, resetting to some default; there is no random generator really (but mods do fix this nuance) which might or might not be a problem, but when you perform an action, and later Load a saved game that action will always-always-always yield the same result, even when approached with different strategy (so let’s say you want to capture an alien, and your Arc weapon misses if you Load a saved game, and try it with a different soldier, or both soldiers you will NOT subdue the Alien, because AI has decided that the Alien will not be paralyzed in this game); again, I can go on, but the point remains this is far from a polished game.
    3. Atmosphere and Mood of the XCOM Series: the atmosphere borders between a Serious Strategy and a Childish Hentai, and accomplished none in the end. Seems the game was designed in order to cover the widest playing group possible, and thus lacks essence, dedication, and a focused approached aimed at the unique quality of this series. There is no haunting mood, feeling of constant danger and glooming doom, smell of secret societies, spreading panic, mystery, and so on there is also an xBox-style button-presser, with soldiers in Pink Uniforms, cut scenes with energetic Anime aliens (Rated for Every one), and bulky, shapeless weapons. The game tries to make everyone happy (as, unfortunately, is the case with most titles today) and comes out a mediocre stereotypical improved clone of its own glorious original of the past.
    4. Random Soldier specialization: yeah. I think I know where the designers are coming from with this but I wish I could turn that feature off.
    THE GOOD:
    1. Strategy and Tactics: are ok but very predictable and repetitive. The strategic overview of the Base and Earth is nicely executed, and all decisions are somewhat balanced. I say somewhat because that is what they are (remember unpolished?), but with some Mods the game becomes a very well thought-through strategy. Tactics are also improved with mods, but I like them as they are: you move your squad (of up to 6 people) in a turned-based combat, shooting or capturing aliens, saving civilians, destroying trees! Special abilities of soldiers make the approach of each unit and the team overall pretty unique to your playing style.
    2. A very nice game to play still. Don’t get me wrong there a good sides and bad sides, and this game is a good game, but definitely not a 9/10 as I see everywhere. Fun to play, fun to research, fun to make money, sad to lose good soldiers (even though random specialists they were!). Fun mediocre gam which lacks atmosphere.
    3. MODABLE! And that is very important: there are many good mods to XCOM Enemy Unknown, which improve it, rebalance it, and make it even prettier.
    OVERALL: Good game. 7/10. Wish it was not aimed at the AVERAGE GROUP but at the dedicated XCOM Gamers and people who respect a good tactical turn-based and appreciate the depth of UFO conspiracies.
  11. Oct 9, 2012
    Critics have said that turn based shooters are dead, but I think this iteration of XCOM goes a long way to prove them wrong. I can honestly say, without sarcasm or implications, that if the original XCOM were made today, this is what it would be like. It is a very faithful representation of the original, and if you were a fan (like I was), you will probably enjoy this as well. The factCritics have said that turn based shooters are dead, but I think this iteration of XCOM goes a long way to prove them wrong. I can honestly say, without sarcasm or implications, that if the original XCOM were made today, this is what it would be like. It is a very faithful representation of the original, and if you were a fan (like I was), you will probably enjoy this as well. The fact that the economy/base building aspect wasn't cut was a huge plus to me. Now, to be clear, there are a few changes/issues. Difficulty is not so high, and you won't have everyone die as soon as they step off the transport for the first mission (this can be either good or bad). The soldier voices are all bland American accents, and while it's a small thing it's jarring in a squad of international operatives. The loadout is a more simplified than I'd like, but not enough that it annoys me. Anyway, apart from a few minor issues I feel XCOM is an extremely fun game and well worth a look. Expand
  12. Dec 3, 2012
    This game was simply fantastic. It offers a long singleplayer campaign (I got about 50 hrs out of it) which has a good amount of depth while still being very accessible. I haven't played the original XCOM, so I won't compare it against that, but it's clear that this game could have been a lot more complex and allowed for many more strategic options. By mid-game, it begins to suffer fromThis game was simply fantastic. It offers a long singleplayer campaign (I got about 50 hrs out of it) which has a good amount of depth while still being very accessible. I haven't played the original XCOM, so I won't compare it against that, but it's clear that this game could have been a lot more complex and allowed for many more strategic options. By mid-game, it begins to suffer from these limitations since you are limited to only having one party of troops out at a time or intercepting one UFO at a time. You also begin to run out of things to research, making your investments in labs less valuable. The combat is also very unforgiving, and if you're playing it on normal difficulty or above you will end up paying dearly for many mistakes (unless you are willing to save/reload regularly). Personally I liked that this game wasn't easy, but felt that it was occasionally too brutal: all it takes is one wrong move and your squad of elite troops might get slaughtered. Despite these critiques, the new XCOM is definitely a great game and well worth your time and money. Expand
  13. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese al pavor que tenía porque lo hubieran hecho mal, es un digno sucesor del juego original (que es uno de mis favoritos). Han tenido que simplificar algunas mecánicas y parte de la gestión pero sigue teniendo ese regusto a batalla épica a la desesperada que te generaba el primero. Vale la pena comprarlo aunque es una lástima que el multi no te dejen jugar en cooperativo contra los aliens.
  14. May 13, 2013
    I'm afraid "old school" x-com fan boys are scaring away people from this game. I see so many old school fans complain about how "This game isn't as good as the original" and 0 out of 10 because the original is better and this sucks". That's not fair. I'm not bashing old school fans, but just because the remake/reboot isn't as good doesn't make it crap. Go play the original all you want!I'm afraid "old school" x-com fan boys are scaring away people from this game. I see so many old school fans complain about how "This game isn't as good as the original" and 0 out of 10 because the original is better and this sucks". That's not fair. I'm not bashing old school fans, but just because the remake/reboot isn't as good doesn't make it crap. Go play the original all you want! But don't drag this game down because of it. I am aware this game has some issues. Such as the bulls*it free move aliens get during your turn, and some crash to desktop bugs (which are extreamly rare.) But that doesn't make this game bad. Aside from those problems, i sit and play this game for hours at a time. Its fun and addicting. You also get attached to your soldiers, and get legitimately sad or pissed off when they die. All in all, its problems held it back from being the best game of last year, but it still one of my favorites. Expand
  15. Dec 19, 2012
    XCOM is basically a flawed classic, it needed to be made to reboot one of the best game series in the strategy hall of fame, but they have messed up in some areas, none of which spoilt the game for me. I bought my first PC as a teenager when the original UFO Enemy Unknown came out, it was that good... now about 15 years or so later the remake is out and it's pretty faithful while trimmingXCOM is basically a flawed classic, it needed to be made to reboot one of the best game series in the strategy hall of fame, but they have messed up in some areas, none of which spoilt the game for me. I bought my first PC as a teenager when the original UFO Enemy Unknown came out, it was that good... now about 15 years or so later the remake is out and it's pretty faithful while trimming down some aspects. The game is a lot faster paced than the original, whih is a good thing, but they took some of the freedom out of the game in doing so.... it was nice to fully customise loadouts in the original game, that is now pretty much gone and a very basic system replaces it...I don't really miss the action point system as the new mode it generally better. The biggest issues with the game are more to do with game balancing which can often be stupidly unfair and unrealstic, it seems a 90+% hit chance more often than not will statistically fail more than it succeeds, so feels like you get cheated by the game quite a lot..... Other main issues are to do with terrain problems with rendering, but most of that was fixed in the last patch. Expand
  16. Jul 18, 2013
    Overall a very successful reboot of the X-COM franchise. The general tone of the game and mood of the turn-based combat are near perfect. The graphics are fine. Sound and voice work are solid. The divide between base management and tactical battles is also good. It is possible to knit-pick quite a few areas where the game is underwhelming: Tactical maps are too small and too similar. LOSOverall a very successful reboot of the X-COM franchise. The general tone of the game and mood of the turn-based combat are near perfect. The graphics are fine. Sound and voice work are solid. The divide between base management and tactical battles is also good. It is possible to knit-pick quite a few areas where the game is underwhelming: Tactical maps are too small and too similar. LOS is obscure. There is no tactical mini-map. The squad size is too small. These are all relatively minor points that could be addressed in an expansion or patch, though I doubt we will get one. The real key to enjoying this game is to do a first play through on easy and learn the mechanisms. When you understand how it works you can re-try on harder difficulty until you find the level of toughness which is personally most enjoyable. Overall this game is a definite buy at or under $20. With luck there may be future versions of this game which improve the tactical controls and increase the strategic complication! Let's hope so. Orctowngrot: timtimjp@yahoo.com Expand
  17. Oct 18, 2014
    I have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. TryI have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. Try naming them after your loved ones, and you'll get attached to them. That's the thing about XCOM, it doesn't trivialize death; it even has a memorial for your lost soldiers. Haven't played multiplayer, but singleplayer alone justifies the price tag. There are some lags here and there but they're minor. Come on, buy it NOW. Expand
  18. Mar 25, 2013
    If there's one thing I dislike in gaming genres, it's strategy games. Just pointing and clicking, it feels a bit meaningless. NOT in "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". You control a base with a researchlab, scientists, soldiers and all the Science Fiction goodiness! Even some of the easiest mission may provide the "rookies" among us for a real challenge, due to intelligent AI and clever combatIf there's one thing I dislike in gaming genres, it's strategy games. Just pointing and clicking, it feels a bit meaningless. NOT in "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". You control a base with a researchlab, scientists, soldiers and all the Science Fiction goodiness! Even some of the easiest mission may provide the "rookies" among us for a real challenge, due to intelligent AI and clever combat mechanics. A mindchanging game for me! Expand
  19. Jun 6, 2013
    This is the first strategy based game I have been able to enjoy in years. For those complaining about the game not being enough like the original; I dont understand it. This is, imo, the perfect modern incarnate of the old XCOM. We are talking about an 18 year gap between games, it needed the change and they did it very well.
    This game has extremely intuitive features and excellent story
    This game has extremely intuitive features and excellent story and gameplay for a strategy game. I felt involved and driven by the story, and I felt connected to and protective of my soldiers. Good character customization and development.
    The only complaint I can give about this game is that although you can change the skin color and general ethnicity of your characters, you cannot change their nationality and flag. Even though you can change a character from white, to Asian, to Mexican, to African, you cannot change the country he belongs to from, for example, Brazil. They say in the forums it is a prejudiced thing, but I believe the power to change skin color contradicts that claim horribly. This just seriously hinders the amazingly fun ability to create teams of your own imagination. Such as a team of you and your friends, however your best friend Tommy has to be from China, and your brother Chuck was secretly born over the border in Mexico.
    However, the game is an extremely solid 10 for a strategy game. I have never played one more interesting than this one. I must confess before I wrap up that this game possibly gets extra points from me purely based off the fun factor I experienced. It was just fun.
  20. Nov 9, 2012
    If you ignore its origins (and most reviewing this game should as they most likely never played the original) and look at this game as a solo effort its a wonderful game. Great graphics, challenging maps and resource management and AI that is responsive. Its been a long time since a good turn based game has come out and this one gives me faith that the turn based strategy games are not aIf you ignore its origins (and most reviewing this game should as they most likely never played the original) and look at this game as a solo effort its a wonderful game. Great graphics, challenging maps and resource management and AI that is responsive. Its been a long time since a good turn based game has come out and this one gives me faith that the turn based strategy games are not a dead genre but a living, breathing genre that has promise. Expand
  21. Oct 17, 2012
    One of the most anticipated games of the year for me so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Followed the developer videos and ads and liked the additions to the game and gladly, this feels like a true successor to the original. and here it comes.... However, this game includes some of the irritations of the first game. You carefully surround an enemy position and 3 or 4 of yourOne of the most anticipated games of the year for me so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Followed the developer videos and ads and liked the additions to the game and gladly, this feels like a true successor to the original. and here it comes.... However, this game includes some of the irritations of the first game. You carefully surround an enemy position and 3 or 4 of your squad have a 91% hit chance (or thereabouts), gleefully you click fire on one squaddie after another only to miss all round. With 91% hit chance? This problem does not seem to happen with the aliens who can happily kill their way through your entire squad. My problem is not that this happens, but that you get a hit chance which seems to be bugged or quite meaningless as this happens time and again. On top of this boy is this buggy. I have to control alt delete out at least once a session because a squad guys control becomes locked and will not respond. Perhaps once ever 2/3 hours. Another irritation is that sometimes you want to do something and try and click an option to do it. Your guy will path a completely different way. So it becomes a move save sort of a deal and writes off the ironman option I was keen to try. Dying to bad choices is one thing. To buggy controls is another.

But, for all that, this is a true successor to a classic original and worth persevering with. I very much like the "ant farm" base building and view in particular. The game does feel a bit linear at times and is in danger of being dumbed down. With tactical options for the player reduced and alien abilities that are frankly ridiculous at times. For instance, certain alien types have the right combination of movement and ability to be able whipe out entire squads with no recourse for the player. Unfortunately, sometimes they do and you just reload. Annoying as you have no recourse but they rarely seem to realise what they can do relying on massive accuracy and throwing you a bone with the odd blunder which feels like game developers showing the player a bit of charity.

I would like some more DLC to expand the potential and unlock some longevity in terms of making it feel even less linear but if the balancing I mention and the bugs are sorted out this is a classic that holds true to the spirit of the original while building on the concept in the right way. I was also expecting more strategic options from the base making it feel a bit more like a global campaign was taking place but this doesn't seem to be there and I am quite far in. Overall I am a tiny bit disappointed but not hugely so. I am expecting the bugs will be patched out which will help a lot and hope for future DLC to unlock more strategic options. This has the makings of a classic that people will be buying for many years to come, its just not quite there yet.
  22. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is not bad, but original X-COM was better. No base battles, space ships got simplified (only sky ranger), no and team you waaay smaller. The good idea was soldier classes, but sniper class is way overpowered in compare to others. Still XCOM: Enemy Unknown is solid game and good tribute to original X-COM.
  23. May 10, 2013
    A clever game for gamers that seek a challenge. It has a mediocre tutorial that does not fulfill its role, so the learning curve is steep and at the first walthrough you will be learning by mistakes unfortunately. If you are new to XCOM series you will like it more than the veterans, because this game is a much dumbed cousin of its elders. The game is quite addicting thanks to someA clever game for gamers that seek a challenge. It has a mediocre tutorial that does not fulfill its role, so the learning curve is steep and at the first walthrough you will be learning by mistakes unfortunately. If you are new to XCOM series you will like it more than the veterans, because this game is a much dumbed cousin of its elders. The game is quite addicting thanks to some RPG/RTS elements. The deeper you go the more new stuff you discover and new weapons. Other times the missions are nearly impossible to accomplish because you for example get thrown with little to no cover into a swarm of bazooka wielding giants. The natural part of the frustration is losing your men (and women heh) other times you will have to sacrifice newbies to get a clear shot for the captain. The game can be really hard even at normal difficulty setting so much so that if you`re new to this I highly recommend not selecting a higher setting than normal. The maps are fairly varied, not too much but just enough to keep going forward. There are also a few mission types, honestly here I was dissapointed. Overall the campaign is good, it proceeds just when it is about to get stale. Some strategy and thinking is required. I played 33hours to get through the whole thing, which is a huge number for a game nowadays. Moreso, the game is built the way that makes you want to beat it at least twice, because the first time you did not know the whole set of rules. Gaphics and music is okay. Overall lots of gameplay for this price so a 8.6 out of 10. Expand
  24. Oct 9, 2012
    This version of XCOM actually has MORE depth than the original. The bits that added little to the (classic) original have been removed or altere while tactical (combat based) and strategic ("base" based) options have been added that actually add to ythe thought that's required to succeed. Examples Disembarking - man that was a pain, one well placed grenade and your entire squad wipedThis version of XCOM actually has MORE depth than the original. The bits that added little to the (classic) original have been removed or altere while tactical (combat based) and strategic ("base" based) options have been added that actually add to ythe thought that's required to succeed. Examples Disembarking - man that was a pain, one well placed grenade and your entire squad wiped before you'd started your second turn and split up to avoid being one large target for me this always meant a reload of a saved game. It just annoyed me when it happened, now it doesn't. "Bug hunt" endings. Scouring maps for that one last alien who had decided to stand in a cupboard, 90 minutes trying to find it, ending up just being bored and making a careless mistake or just quitting the game - gone...Unrealistic micro customization - In the original you could force any soldier to become anything. That's not realistic at all. A 5 foot 3 sharpshooter moulded into being a musclebound heavy weapons carrier "just because you need one" It might offer you control - but at the expense of any level or realism. The movement simpified in use, but actually increased in tactical options. Moce a squad member a level? Easy! - No special button to take the view up or down required, how about over a wall or through a window. SImple, no 3 level menu system to go through, it will calculate it, and you will know whether you have the ability to continue with another action after or not. All the calculations are there if you play, but they are transparent to the user, leaving you just to work out what is best rather than micro analysing action points. Supression fire? Opportunity fire, different levels of cover? These allow you to work out some pretty snazzy tactics. Your troops level in a way that makes it fab. Actual abilities are learned that expand your tactical options, some are passive, some used on a turn based "cooldown" - all make a difference if used in the right place. Morale, Psi attacks. It's all there - it just doesn't require micro management. I thought I would miss micro management - but I don't - not one bit. For me - someone who loves to see a proper AAA turn based game (at LAST - after Sooooo many FPS..aren't FPS bored to tears with the same game being sold over and over and over and over) Xcom is a breath of fresh air. The moddability of the PC game means we can expect maps, missions and TC's in the next few months that will keep this game on my hard drive and being played almost indefinitely. 10/10 Best game I've played since Jagged Alliance 2 or Rebelstar. Well done Firaxis, after the relative mess of Civ 5 you are back with a bang. Best game of 2012 by a mile. Expand
  25. Nov 6, 2013
    Fire Emblem with guns? Pretty much- you must get this game if you love strategy/RPGs. I loved this game for its story, its gameplay for giving players the ability (and responsibility) to make choices that affect the resistance to alien invasion. Best of all, I loved having my soldiers rank up and become specialists. The game is well thought out, as enemies generally spawn in randomFire Emblem with guns? Pretty much- you must get this game if you love strategy/RPGs. I loved this game for its story, its gameplay for giving players the ability (and responsibility) to make choices that affect the resistance to alien invasion. Best of all, I loved having my soldiers rank up and become specialists. The game is well thought out, as enemies generally spawn in random locations so you can’t just restart a level once you know where the enemy is. My only regret about this game is that once you really get the ball rolling with powerful soldiers, weapons, and income, the game ends rather abruptly. Other than that (and some production issues, like being able to shoot through solid objects to hit targets), the game is nearly flawless. Expand
  26. Nov 18, 2013
    A wonderful resurrection of a neglected genre, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is simultaneously a breath of fresh air and a nod to a time when games were designed to be fun, not to extract money from customers in an endless parade of overpriced DLC. There are no horrible micro-transactions, no stupid online requirements...just good old-fashioned fun. A full game at a fair price, I can't say enoughA wonderful resurrection of a neglected genre, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is simultaneously a breath of fresh air and a nod to a time when games were designed to be fun, not to extract money from customers in an endless parade of overpriced DLC. There are no horrible micro-transactions, no stupid online requirements...just good old-fashioned fun. A full game at a fair price, I can't say enough about how refreshing that feels! The gameplay could be a bit more developed, XCOM could use more tactical options, and less streamlining....but given the shortage of good turn based games, this one is a true gem. I look forward to a full, robust sequel. Expand
  27. Oct 16, 2012
    There's some minor issues, the most annoying of which being that sometimes moving people around inside a UFO is really a hassle due to the roof blocking your view, and other times people won't want to move to high or low ground. Some areas could also be beefed up in complexity (interception), but on the whole they really nailed this one. The game is addictively fun and brilliantly capturesThere's some minor issues, the most annoying of which being that sometimes moving people around inside a UFO is really a hassle due to the roof blocking your view, and other times people won't want to move to high or low ground. Some areas could also be beefed up in complexity (interception), but on the whole they really nailed this one. The game is addictively fun and brilliantly captures the "just one more turn" feeling. Fans of the 1993 version will be able to find things to complain about, as this is not a straight remake. It's a 2012 take on the game, and while not everything is the same the spirit of the classic version is alive and well here. If you're not familiar with the classic X-COM, then any strategy fan should go buy this right now. Expand
  28. Jul 22, 2014
    I would put this game in the pantheon of strategy games, without question. SCORE: 97/100.

I loved this game from start to finish and everything about the tactical gameplay is amazing and engaging. There are a great variety of classes (with upgrade paths, ranks, and different equipment) and enemies, diverse maps, good base technology and items, and just a complete package that is fun and replayable.

This is a game that you will play again, and you will be glad you did.
  29. Jul 22, 2014
    All in all, the game is very strong; the combat works well, the macro-level stuff keeps you sucked in, and there is a fairly decent variety in enemies. The game will keep you entertained for 20-30 hours.

That being said, it could be a little bit better; the aliens aren't quite smart and aggressive enough, and eventually, once you get things under control, it can get a little bit dry towards the end.

Still, on the whole, it is an enjoyable experience and well worth the time and money to beat it once.
  30. Jan 27, 2013
    Really been waiting for this game to be released and did not get disappointed. Just have to set the expectations right towards this one. It was not meant to be a 1:1 remake of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown". Yes it got a little different, but they've made a good job on it. Gameplay is fluent. Base building, researching, training soldiers, graphics, sounds, everything pretty well done, fun to playReally been waiting for this game to be released and did not get disappointed. Just have to set the expectations right towards this one. It was not meant to be a 1:1 remake of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown". Yes it got a little different, but they've made a good job on it. Gameplay is fluent. Base building, researching, training soldiers, graphics, sounds, everything pretty well done, fun to play and also having some replay value due to the different difficulties and game modes. So why not 10/10? For example cause of the way aliens are roaming and how they are getting triggered during missions. If you come in sight to discover some of them on the battlefield, the hole alien pack will always get a scripted free reaction movement allowing them to run away, take cover or do whatever. Such script makes combat feel a little less like actually fighting against aliens, but rather fighting scripts, damaging the atmosphere. Also as a dedicated player of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown" i really hoped for some more complexity in this game. Anyways this game is good and since it sold well there sure will be a second one that will most likely get even better. Hopefully also including some more complex game modes for hardcore players then. Expand
  31. Oct 22, 2013
    I can't believe I waited a year to play this title. This is a stunning, stunning game. I can't speak of the older X-COM games as it was before my time, but I'm really surprised that this reboot is getting ANY negative reviews whatsoever.

The major complaint seems to be that it's "dumbed down" from fans of the overall franchise. I don't think this is the case. The difficulty level here is fine; I can imagine it's been streamlined somewhat to make it more accessible to the modern gamer, but that was to be expected. X-COM fans of old need to ask themselves a question; would you rather have a game that has a multitude of vaguely thought out features that could foreseeably ruin the project, or a streamlined experience which is highly polished and still a challenge worthy of the franchise?

Because XCOM: EU is a top, top strategy title. There's no doubt in my mind that Firaxis have done this franchise proud here. I'll go back and play the older titles, and I'll probably prefer them too, but there's no reason to hate on this game at all.
  32. Oct 22, 2013
    There are quite a lot of butthurt original X-Com fanbois on here slamming this game and giving it 0 to 3-score reviews, which is utterly ridiculous. It’s like bashing a modern platformer b/c it doesn’t force you to get through 100 levels on 3 lives. XC: EU isn’t perfect but it’s still a lot of fun and doesn’t deserve to be trashed.

It may not be as complex as the original game but it is

It may not be as complex as the original game but it is still very tactical and turn-based, despite many claims here to the contrary. Not sure how some reviewers can compare this to Call of Duty or Mass Effect. Idiotic. There are still difficult decisions to make, as in do you dig open another level of your base, buy another plane, buy another satellite, or research better weapons? Should you investigate that UFO you just shot down or wait b/c your medic & sniper are still recovering from wounds and you’d have to take too many rookies into battle? If you don’t plan & pay attention to what you’re doing, you will have to start all over. You also end up getting attached to your squad members even though they never speak and it’s hard to resist the urge to reload when they die (or when you get faced with a very inconvenient random event between missions one game hour before finishing research on that new armor).

Some here are even complaining about the “cutscenes” during missions which are actually cinematic visuals of your characters doing what you tell them to do. Sorry, I never got tired of the camera zooming in on one of my guys rounding a corner & shotgunning a baddie at point blank range, or my sniper coolly raising up his rifle & blasting another before they could attack a vulnerable squad mate in the next turn. These are a very cool touch.

Where I will knock the game is that battles do feel a bit skewed in the AI’s favor. Whenever you stumble upon the enemy, they always see you and essentially get a free movement turn to shuffle around. So if the last guy you move in a turn happens to be the one the aliens see, they immediately get a free move and then will move right away again since their movement turn just started, which most likely means they will swarm whichever squad member is closest. This makes most levels take a long time unless you reload after finding out where the baddies are, as you don’t want to move around the map too quickly.

And the battles do end up becoming a bit tiresome by the time you reach the end of the game. No way around that after sinking hours & hours into the game.

Overall, though, it’s an excellent game. Regardless of whether or not the original X-Com is better, XC: EU stands on its own as a great experience.
  33. Oct 16, 2012
    I've not played this game fully as I've been engrossed with Dishonored. I've completed the first few missions and like what I've seen. It's a nice strategy game with pretty graphics. I haven't had the 'one more go' element that some people have had. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. I read that it's been massively simplified more the new generation. I don't have a problemI've not played this game fully as I've been engrossed with Dishonored. I've completed the first few missions and like what I've seen. It's a nice strategy game with pretty graphics. I haven't had the 'one more go' element that some people have had. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. I read that it's been massively simplified more the new generation. I don't have a problem with this as I'm not the quickest of cats and want enjoyment from my games :) Once I've finished Dishonored (which is a 10 out of 10 for me), I'll continue my progress. My initial impression is this is a solid 8 out of 10. Expand
  34. Oct 14, 2012
    As much as I have fallen for this game, I cannot ignore the big throbbing acne problems it which is the combat system. The devs were clearly not ready to transact this game into full-blown 3D seeing how most of the time, my characters are being shot through 25 tons of concrete, behind 3 walls of cover while sucking their thumbs. It has also started to get repetitive very quickly once youAs much as I have fallen for this game, I cannot ignore the big throbbing acne problems it which is the combat system. The devs were clearly not ready to transact this game into full-blown 3D seeing how most of the time, my characters are being shot through 25 tons of concrete, behind 3 walls of cover while sucking their thumbs. It has also started to get repetitive very quickly once you realize on how linear it really is, all the alien invasions being one long sticky script. Customization and loadouts are fantastic with tons of options for armors and guns while feeding you new enemies every now and then but as far as strategy and tactics goes, this game really drops the ball. Expand
  35. Jun 1, 2014
    This is a game that doesn't care to be balanced. It only cares to be great, awesome and to give you the most nerve-wracking hardcore experience ever! On Classic difficulty, this game is all-fury and no balance and it is awesome! You will scream and bite your nails as your troops get slaughtered, your interceptors shot down and countries It doesn't care about casual gamers and it doesn'tThis is a game that doesn't care to be balanced. It only cares to be great, awesome and to give you the most nerve-wracking hardcore experience ever! On Classic difficulty, this game is all-fury and no balance and it is awesome! You will scream and bite your nails as your troops get slaughtered, your interceptors shot down and countries It doesn't care about casual gamers and it doesn't care to be fair. If you don't have the balls to play then go back to your casual games! I can't wait to buy the expansion! My only regret is that I didn't buy this game earlier! Expand
  36. Oct 10, 2012
    The original Xcom made me love turn based strategy games, and since then no game has been able to fill that void... Front Mission series and Incubation were close... This new Xcom is the real thing. Shut up and take my money!
  37. Oct 18, 2012
    I can't even begin to describe how good this game is. I'm not usually the type to go for the tactical RTS but Enemy Unknown is a wonder. This is the first ever XCOM game I've played, and although sometimes i lose pathetically, (started playing IronMan/Classic Mode) i can not stop playing. There's something mesmerizing in all those little driving mechanisms that comprise EU, that just keepI can't even begin to describe how good this game is. I'm not usually the type to go for the tactical RTS but Enemy Unknown is a wonder. This is the first ever XCOM game I've played, and although sometimes i lose pathetically, (started playing IronMan/Classic Mode) i can not stop playing. There's something mesmerizing in all those little driving mechanisms that comprise EU, that just keep me going, be it the story and setting (both of which are executed above par), the characters who are generic and expendable to the point when they get a promotion, and then suddenly, it's a whole new ballgame. The graphics and visual effects are satisfying, although some of the more "refined" players might take issue with that. The sound effects and music are great, and there's something about hearing a sectoid scream after being successfully shot, that makes me feel warm and giddy on the inside. I'm not too far ahead in the game but i strongly believe that this game is worth your money. I hope for a sequel or an expansion pack soon. Expand
  38. Nov 25, 2012
    I don't regret having chosen this purchase over Dishonored. A loyal remake nowadays is always a surprise. Well, actually it's not exactly a remake: the combat is "simplified", but the strategy required to play doesn't decrease THAT much from the original. It still does, though. There's a few bugs that definitely need fixing, such as unnecessarily long enemy turns, having to backtrackI don't regret having chosen this purchase over Dishonored. A loyal remake nowadays is always a surprise. Well, actually it's not exactly a remake: the combat is "simplified", but the strategy required to play doesn't decrease THAT much from the original. It still does, though. There's a few bugs that definitely need fixing, such as unnecessarily long enemy turns, having to backtrack during the final mission, and customization of the characters having a hard time to keep up with your scrolling through the soldiers. I think this new combat is very good, but allows for some stupidities that will make you feel everything but guilty for loading a previous save. A smaller team but with a class system is a very good reinterpretation of the game, but this probably comes from someone who's not that good at hard difficulties and that used a very limited amount of soliders in the original game. The class system, along with the nice addition of soldier customization, will make you think twice before treating your soldiers as expendables, and this makes for much more strategy than meets the eye. Despite my comparative review, I advice to not look for the old features and you will be able to enjoy a super cool game, really. That said, I don't like how the geoscape is handled, placing your base where you wanted was a minor yet fun thing, and you do nearly nothing when intercepting an UFO. The base is also a bit confusing at first, and the early promises of the game of seeing your base at work just like an "ant farm" let me down a little, all you see is poorly rendered characters doing the same things over and over, kind of a waste of CPU. Expand
  39. Mar 18, 2013
    This an excellent (and thoroughly addictive) game. The turn based strategy of the missions was great fun, and although there is some room for improvement in several areas, I still had a great time with this game. I do think the game could be improved with AI that was a bit more intelligent (enemies never seem to be very smart about where they choose to position themselves), with betterThis an excellent (and thoroughly addictive) game. The turn based strategy of the missions was great fun, and although there is some room for improvement in several areas, I still had a great time with this game. I do think the game could be improved with AI that was a bit more intelligent (enemies never seem to be very smart about where they choose to position themselves), with better character development of your soldiers (they're shallow, no personality traits, thus I have no real connection with them at all), and with a bit more variety of stuff you can do back at base (starts to get repetitive just doing the same few things in between missions). I also think that while the story-line is pretty good, there's room for some stronger storytelling elements to be brought into the mix. It's an immersive game as-is, but if the story was a bit deeper, it would add to the overall atmosphere/feeling the game brings. I have never played the original X-COM (though I think I'll have to try it), so my review here has no elements of comparison to that, but are just based on this game standing alone. Expand
  40. Oct 20, 2012
    A disregard in providing an adequate tutorial meant the learning curve for this game esp in base management requires many hours of trial-and-error. The combat phases are the highlights whereas the base management are a hassle and really not very approachable. The plot is almost non-existent with generic NPCs, poor voice-acting and characters that you dont really want to relate to - they'reA disregard in providing an adequate tutorial meant the learning curve for this game esp in base management requires many hours of trial-and-error. The combat phases are the highlights whereas the base management are a hassle and really not very approachable. The plot is almost non-existent with generic NPCs, poor voice-acting and characters that you dont really want to relate to - they're boring, lack character and dont really do well to drive the so-called 'story' along. There are also technical hitches such as movement square elevation selection issues as well as camera angle bugs and a lot of weird glitches abound. Played for around 20 hours before repetition and a lack of long term appeal sinked in. Get Dishonored instead. As an avid RTS/Strategy gamer, I say wait for this game to hit the bargain bin. Oh and did I mention they've dumbed the game down for consoles as well as made the UI more tailored towards consoles, abandoning PC UIs? Worth a try but not really a game that you'll play ever again. Expand
  41. Oct 7, 2013
    Very entertaining strategy game, even for a guy like me who hasn't played the original Xcom. Game is very challenging and nearly sadistic punishing on higher difficulty levels, not that it is a bad thing. Every move has to be planned carefully and charging in without a plan causes you to be squashed like a bug. This is a must buy for any strategy game fan.
  42. gas
    Oct 17, 2012
    I have to lower my score , after the first playthrough i gave a 9, but actually im going to finish my second and sadly the game is loosing a lot of appeal.
    The problem primary is that what you can research and develop is not enough and various to make any difference between different games, basically you will end doing exactly the same things, researching the same things, and exectuing all the same steps every game you will wanna play.
    Also, even if the maps are not few, its quite easy to predict enemy spawn.
    Anothe note not positive is that i think the game is really too short, and you are foced also to speed up cause the panic pressure.
    Basically i still think that this game is very good (on its own, even if different from the old xcoms), but its lacking longevity and relplay value to be really a masterpiece.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    To all the ppl GIVING LOW SCORES cause chance to hit / cover system bugs, READ THIS first. At start i was thinking too that the game had terrible bugs related LOS and targeting, but i was wrong, surely it doesnt help the fact the ruleset is not explained in the manual nor on firaxis site. Fact is this game is more similar to chess then to previous x-com games as idea. To be short about that, this game is based on a strict and working ruleset similar to a board game, hitting is absolutely not related to the point to point projectile trajectory " LOS" that is visible looking the position of the soliders Consider that what you see in 3D as idea is a fictional representation of the ruleset. The ruleset is very very simple and basic, and one understood its really a lot interesting and fun. In the game there is ACCURANCY which is set by default as 65, there are low covers (half shield icon) which gives +20% defence, hi covers (full shield icon) that gives +40% cover. There are modifiers which can be many things, specific traits, perks, elevation etc. The formula is CTH = accurancy - target defence +- modificators. So if there is shooter at a corner, target behind a 40 tons big truck with a half shiled icon position, the shooter can hit the target even if in 3D the bullet pass into the truck, as the rule means you can always hit soliders behind 20% or 40% covers. The only situation when when LOS is obstructed is, one full cover tile in between 2 other full cover tiles, or one single full cover tile strictly in line with the shooter. In the same manner is possible to flank one enemy, a covered enemy have a red alien icon as default, to avoid his cover having as result the yellow alien icon (which means target is out of cover) as ruleset you need to place your shooter past the imaginary orthogonal axis that is projected by the block giving the cover to the target. Im sorry if its not very clear maybe, im not english and im tryin the best i can. There are also specific rules to determine the cth and covers between shooter and target from different elevation zones (+20% hit being higher then target + modificators), and specific rules to determine how works the half covers and full covers in between, but not adjacent to the shooter and target we are considering. Basically this game is based on xcom as setting and basic mechanics, but its a lot different compared to most of the tbs as its absolutely not based to the LOS you can see on the screen to hit the targets, and guys this system works, its simple but very tactical. Told that this game imo is great, cause the target here i understood after some days of playing, its not to just adapt the old xcom with new graphics (which in case is something i expected too at start tbh), the target is its to have a new specific ruleset to possibly create a strategic E-sport. Hope that this one beside the review can help ppl to understand better the game as many bad scores are given cause a misunderstanding of how the game works. Collapse
  43. Oct 9, 2012
    a true spiritual succesor to the infamous x-com. a brialliant game that my as well along starcraft be the savoir of rts genre on the pc, a genre many claimed to be dying. This game, along with dishonored will keep you busy. PC gamers rejoice, x-com is here to stay.
  44. Oct 30, 2012
    While not as good as the original, this game is quite enjoyable and keeps the spirit of the original. The combat system has changed a lot but in a good way. I finished the game on normal and started a game in Classic - Ironman. However, the classic mode seems a little outbalanced and it seems to required a specific order in the research/development to succeed since the clock is ticking asWhile not as good as the original, this game is quite enjoyable and keeps the spirit of the original. The combat system has changed a lot but in a good way. I finished the game on normal and started a game in Classic - Ironman. However, the classic mode seems a little outbalanced and it seems to required a specific order in the research/development to succeed since the clock is ticking as the countries get invaded and removed their support to your cause. Expand
  45. Jun 23, 2014
    XCOM is a great game. It does have a few annoying flaws however: Every time you mess up, which will probably happen every now and then, you can't access the menus during the enemies' turn. That means you have to watch 1-2 minutes of your team dying or restart the game, instead of being able to reload instantly.
    Same problem with your soldiers' class: It's randomly chosen after the first
    Same problem with your soldiers' class: It's randomly chosen after the first level up instead of letting you pick it. There are ways to get the class you want, but it's still a stupid design decision.
    I get what they're trying to do with these things, but let people play however the hell they want, damn it.

Except for these things, it's a great strategy game.
  46. Oct 23, 2012
    Best turn-based strategy game since the original X-COM. Yeah it has its own flavour, and it doesn't shy away from sticking to its own design decisions. What it delivers is just awesome. The single player on classic ironman has insane replayability: enemy AI, challenging combat, challenging strategic layer panic management etc. all provide a compelling experience. The best part is you knowBest turn-based strategy game since the original X-COM. Yeah it has its own flavour, and it doesn't shy away from sticking to its own design decisions. What it delivers is just awesome. The single player on classic ironman has insane replayability: enemy AI, challenging combat, challenging strategic layer panic management etc. all provide a compelling experience. The best part is you know that it was your fault that you lost, and you have a good idea what your mistake was to fix it next time. Establishing characters that you actually care for and naming them is addictive. The MP is just an added bonus to annoy your friends with and see if an all floater team can really mess up an archangel sniper, or if a 2 x ghost armour squad is better than an ethereal with sectoid scouts. Expand
  47. Oct 28, 2012
    Reworking a classic like X-Com is obviously gonna be a challenge. But the continuous failure of gaming companies to get the feeling of the two original games right is just amazing. Once more almost everything that made the original such a great game has been removed, and meaningless fluff has been added.
    The worst part is the incessant hand holding the game forces on you. Two hours into the game I`m still waiting to be allowed to choose for myself what to do in my base, but am being guided around as if I`m completely brain dead. In between all this insulting babysitting there are endless cut scenes with pointless dialogue, so that whenever you do try to explore your base you risk one of the uninteresting inhabitants giving you a dull explanation for why you can`t be where you clicked, complete with panning cameras. The whole experience in the base makes you wish there was some option to turn the entire guided experience off. It`s not as if you need to hear a single word being said by anybody anyway.

The actual tactical game is so simplified it doesn`t even compare to the original game. No inventories, not enough space to really be tactical, poor camera controls and the endless loss of game controls as the camera pans around to give you that utterly meaningless "movie" feel. The first NPC encountered even insists on talking for about 5 seconds every turn while you sit and wait for her like a moron.

Compared to this the original dropped you in at the deep end let you explore the game yourself. There were no cut scenes and endless droning dialogue to waste your time, and you had detailed base and tactical control. Why is it so impossible these days to just let players play the game on their own?
    Whatever merits this game has is totally lost in all this, at least for me. I`m sure members of the fluoride generation used to being treated as imbeciles will enjoy it, but for seasoned gamers it is unbearable.
  48. Mar 8, 2014
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.
    It was a long time since i had a game with more than 50 hours of playing in a week.
    Since i never play the X-COM classics before, i'm not the one who gonna spit on that game because of some lack of fidelity from the original series, which seems to be what people was most criticizing about. Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.

Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and it's not so well explored. You'll have to manage resources, research alien materials, train and customize your soldiers, capture aliens alive to study them, build facilities, weapons, gadgets, robots, all kind of features to help you to deal with an unknown alien menace.

The biggest part of this game is at turn-based strategy battles, with a third person point of view on shooting enemies or doing another actions.

I got some minor bugs, mostly concerned the camera movement, which can be very annoying some times, but nothing truly deal breaker.
  49. Feb 3, 2013
    Thanks Firaxis, for forcing an operating system upgrade in order to to play it. We feel that probably should have been flagged in larger fonts. We also hope Steam will refund our money- guess we'll find out next week or whenever Steam support deigns to respond to our tickets. Regards, Your customers with XP.
  50. Oct 16, 2012
    I've been gaming since the early 80's but only made the transition to PC gaming in 2000. I've played the original XCOMs and similar games in the genre, but they generally failed to keep my interest, with some of them consuming masses of my free time with intricate micro managing squads, resources, soldiers etc etc. So, I was a little sceptic when Firaxis decided to make a new game in theI've been gaming since the early 80's but only made the transition to PC gaming in 2000. I've played the original XCOMs and similar games in the genre, but they generally failed to keep my interest, with some of them consuming masses of my free time with intricate micro managing squads, resources, soldiers etc etc. So, I was a little sceptic when Firaxis decided to make a new game in the series. They stated they would reduce the time required to manage your squads, bases and resources, and they were true to their word. I bought the game just a couple of days ago and I have already ploughed around 20 hours into it. I can understand why some die hard fans of the original game are a bit miffed, but I for one am happier that they made the changes they did. The game is still VERY challenging and it has great immersion. Expand
  51. Oct 17, 2012
    Please consider my rating an 8.5 (I'm a big fan of the idea of adding .5's to this system, and am still a bit confused how an overall user score of 8.1 can come about with everyone forced to give x.0 ratings. But that's neither here nor there.)

XCom: Enemy Unknown is a truly addicting gaming experience. Luckily (?) for this experience at least, I had not thoroughly played the original XCom back in the early 90's, so the lore of the game was new to me. Most of the negative reviews I've read are from people contrasting this game to the original. The game isn't without it's faults. There are some unusual bugs that pop up from time-to-time. A few have been very nearly game-killers (the inability to go through a door when the level has only one door you need to get your soldiers through, etc.) - but with so many firefight options (including later abilities to psionically control enemies) you can even get through the buggy levels. The other major negative I'd like to point out is the tedium that sets in after so many battles. One of the first things I'd like to see developed are new, more creative maps, because you do start seeing the same maps repeat over and over. While the levels are semi-random (you never really know where enemies or objectives are going to be located), the game play for any level is just the same. Locate the objective (usually a UFO to infiltrate, pedestrians to save, etc.), strategically place your soldiers in the most tactical positions, hunker down and shoot. What really makes this game for me is the building phase of the game. You are tasked with building facilities which allow you to construct new and varied weapons, armor, aircraft, satellites, and so forth. Your soldiers are constantly gaining experience with each fight, and although their skill trees aren't large (would love to see expansion here, too), it is ridiculously satisfying to level your crew up. With the ability to name and outfit them to your choosing, you really do feel like the CEO of a fighting machine. As such, you also become very invested with your troops, and when one drops in combat, it can be an emotional experience, because there are no reincarnations here. If a soldier dies, he dies for good. With that everlurking fear, how you strategically place troops on the battlefield becomes that much more important. You really do want to keep them alive. Watching a soldier fall who you've spent 20+ missions building up and training is excruciating, and can leave a serious hole in your roster. But crunch all you want, you'll build more! The graphics are really quite superb, I'm most impressed with the HQ build screen, a cut-away view of your facilities that is bustling with activity.

Even as I became a bit bored with the gameplay, I just couldn't quit, and still haven't, the game is definitely replayable thanks to a lot of random factors built-in. It's been a while since I'd purchased a game that became a MUST play after a day of work. And it's been a while since I've been so enchanted by the way a game works that I'm already hungering for additional content. If you can play this without thinking "Oh, this is dumbed-down version of the original", then you're in for a real treat. Buy this game, it's one of the good ones.
  52. Oct 10, 2012
    I think I'm still a ways from beating the game, but being a fan of the original UFO: Enemy Unknown, I've been hooked on this game since its release. Some might think it's been simplified or "dumbed down" in comparison to the original, but I see it more as a sanding of rough edges for smoother gameplay. Admittedly, it would be nice if there were a way to sell more surplus supplies and haveI think I'm still a ways from beating the game, but being a fan of the original UFO: Enemy Unknown, I've been hooked on this game since its release. Some might think it's been simplified or "dumbed down" in comparison to the original, but I see it more as a sanding of rough edges for smoother gameplay. Admittedly, it would be nice if there were a way to sell more surplus supplies and have squad members pack more inventory, but aside from that, I find the new XCOM to be just as addictive, challenging, and engaging as the original. Considering today's game industry standards, Fireaxis did their best in remastering a classic that came out almost 20 years ago. And if you're gonna cry and complain that it's not "up to par" with the original, then go play with dolls. Expand
  53. Nov 12, 2012
    I made a terrible mistake...I didn't realize the game doesn't automatically save (well I did, but i'm lazy and didn't bother to manually save) and got into a situation where my entire team died. All my warriors, battled hardened from several missions: gone. And I was very sad, because I had to start from scratch, either with a bunch of scrubs or a new game. And yet...I'm more determinedI made a terrible mistake...I didn't realize the game doesn't automatically save (well I did, but i'm lazy and didn't bother to manually save) and got into a situation where my entire team died. All my warriors, battled hardened from several missions: gone. And I was very sad, because I had to start from scratch, either with a bunch of scrubs or a new game. And yet...I'm more determined than ever, and will do better this time, invest in the right things (that are crucial) and ignore the lesser investments until I have the money (I was a noob and didn't realize how important satellites are). I never played the original X-COM, but all I can say is this reminds me so much of Mass Effect 1 and 2, without the silly story (that eventually collapsed in ME3). They clearly borrowed from this series.

This is an incredible game: ignore the haters and buy this if you have ever enjoyed any game involving tactics. It's clear that they got the essence of what many old-school PC gamers say is the greatest game to ever be released for the computer...looking at this game I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. Easily the Game of the Year, and after less than a day playing it, among Firaxis' best (and they have made a lot of very good games).
  54. Apr 7, 2013
    f you are looking for a remake of the original, this isn't it. It still is a proper XCOM title though, and an amazing game. If you judge the game as it is, it is absolutely brilliant, one of the best productions in the last few years. From combat action to base management you're in for an addictive experience, you will get attached to your soldiers and feel the weight of their death, whilef you are looking for a remake of the original, this isn't it. It still is a proper XCOM title though, and an amazing game. If you judge the game as it is, it is absolutely brilliant, one of the best productions in the last few years. From combat action to base management you're in for an addictive experience, you will get attached to your soldiers and feel the weight of their death, while you try to understand your enemy to gain the edge. This is not a 10/10 though: as amazing this game may be, there are a few flaws: the interface may get very clunky inside a few building, and there's still a few little annoying bugs here and there. However, if you're the king of guy who judges a remake on the basis of how much it resembles the original, don't buy it. In fact, there is a game very similar to the original X-COM: UFO Defense: the original X-COM: UFO Defense. Expand
  55. Nov 13, 2012
    Its a Good Game.. but over hyped.. its turn based squad strategy which is always fun, but I think this will lack long term appeal. Also the Gfx are a little lack lustre
  56. Oct 14, 2014
    Great. Interesting characters - who you genuinely care about, because they can die at any time. Varied skills - which can really shake up the field of play. A variety of classes - which really do play differently. Lots of tactical options to consider and with the expansions/DLC, even more. I'm not typically a TBS player, but even I found this to be a great game. The only caveats are thatGreat. Interesting characters - who you genuinely care about, because they can die at any time. Varied skills - which can really shake up the field of play. A variety of classes - which really do play differently. Lots of tactical options to consider and with the expansions/DLC, even more. I'm not typically a TBS player, but even I found this to be a great game. The only caveats are that the action can be a little slow at times (e.g: chasing down the last few aliens on a map), and the base-building part of the game seemed underdeveloped (at least, without the DLC). Expand
  57. Dec 5, 2012
    A game with excellent potential... just poorly executed. Playing on normal difficulty is adequate enough for overlooking the mass majority of the issues that plague this game, but upping the difficulty makes its glaring flaws all the more apparent. First things first: This game is uses a combat system that is similar to Fallout 2, with the addition of a cover based system to help yourA game with excellent potential... just poorly executed. Playing on normal difficulty is adequate enough for overlooking the mass majority of the issues that plague this game, but upping the difficulty makes its glaring flaws all the more apparent. First things first: This game is uses a combat system that is similar to Fallout 2, with the addition of a cover based system to help your troops not get shot. Naturally this might sound awesome, right? Well... unfortunately Firaxas and 2K couldn't spring for half decent AI that seeks to employ superior tactics. They opted instead to give the AI bonuses to aim, health and critical hit chance on the higher difficulties. This turns the game from a test of intellect and tactics to seeing if you can avoid getting steamrolled by dimwitted, cheating AI that kills your soldiers from half way across the map, with full cover to boot. Get used to that cause its going to happen. A lot. And when it does, your dopey soldiers (the "best of the best", as the game describes them) will panic, freak out and either run into enemy fire, hunker down in front of enemies, wildly shoot at them, or my favorite, shoot at your guys with surprising accuracy; another thing that's lacking from the best and brightest the world has to offer, as they can't barely hit the broad side of a barn. Yet they can kill your own troops with ease when panicked. These two companies, having a vastly warped sense of "turn based combat" will ensure that two things happen if you go scouting. 1. Upon spotting an enemy group, the enemy will get a free turn to position themselves against your soldier, DURING your turn, or 2. Your soldier will idiotically charge to where ever he or she was told to go instead of pausing to ask for new orders. This ensures your troops get slaughtered pretty quick, even with hunker down/ overwatch combos. If that isn't bad enough, cover is as durable as wet toilet paper, meaning that when you get shot at your cover will either crumble or catch fire, exposing you to a follow up barrage or forcing you to high tail it away from the vehicle/whatever, leading to a storm of plasma fire. Don't get me wrong; I like the fact that the scenery is destructive and can blow up. Its more that the devs wanted to inflate the sense of "difficulty" by stacking the odds against the player, rather than taking time and effort to create an AI that gives the player pause when it humbles them with strategy and tactics. The strategy element has some good elements to it, having to manage panic, finances and supplies. The problem is that what could have been a great strategy element is is reduced to something much more simplified and dull. Countries will freak the hell out if you bungle a mission, regardless if you managed to put a huge dent in alien forces before dying or rescuing a VIP/butt load of civilians in the process; they'll count as dead if you die. Either you kill everything in sight or you fail the mission, period, despite the fact that your mission (in about half the cases) is to stop terror attacks or protect VIP's. Partial credit would be nice (as was evident in the old XCOM games) but has given way to that CoD mentality; everything has to die no matter what, even in the face of objectives or feasibility. When the **** hits the fan (and it will), nations in the same continent will start to panic big, even though they didn't get attacked. The funding (something that wasn't an issue in the old XCOM) is scarce and serves only to once again, inflate the difficulty, despite the fact that you are the "last, best hope of humanity" and would naturally get loads of cash to do your job (see: the old XCOM). Because of requirements for even the basic of facilities, you could find yourself crippled if you opt for cash missions to purchase satellites, weapons, armor, or new troopers, all because the Dev's were too lazy to include a "personnel requisition" option that was present in the old XCOM. Worse yet is the fact that you can't sell any weapons or items you craft to council members; you're stuck with them. If you're lucky, a nation may ask to get that tech off you, but instead of negotiation they just tell you what you'll get. Gone are the days of being a dealer of all things alien. The story itself is good in the beginning but starts to fall apart once you research Psionics. In regards to the setting and logic behind R&D, it is truly laughable. Instead of reverse engineering alien tech and creating weapons that use materials from your own damn planet, you're forced to rely on alien materials (of which don't exist on Earth) to construct alien weapons that rely on... alien power sources. Humanity is well and truly boned if this is how we'll fight the aliens; if XCOM dies, everyone's back at square one. I don't even like the old XCOM and regret it's purchase, but I saw the potential for a truly awesome game. Sadly, it looks as if we'll have to wait for the realization of that potential, cause it isn't here. Expand
  58. Jan 5, 2013
    I like it. I'd say it is about a big expansion away from being perfect. It needs slightly more depth. Then again, as far as I've gotten is one suit of titan armor, a squad kitted with stolen plasma rifles.. and then **** RNG kills the last of my super troopers and several continents have cut funding.

I am about to turn it off of Iron man mode, **** hell do I blow. Classic difficulty is so goddamn hard. I mother **** hate thin men still. They always, always crit on me or cause a panic spiral with their dumb fart clouds.
  59. Feb 8, 2014
    I've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strangeI've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strange camera angle. It is also rather slow during those scenes at times I'm thinking just shoot didn't I tell him to attack what's going on? Then he shoots finally. It also occasionally crashes for so no apparent reason. It could use another coat of polish but other than that it's a great game. Expand
  60. Nov 8, 2012
    Quoting from one of the reviews here - streamlined. You don't have any freedom where it might force you to make a choice. Gone are the multiple bases, gone are base assaults (you get one over the course of the game), gone is inventory management, gone are different roles for the aliens - all sectoids are sectoids, no navigators, no engineers, no soldiers. Managed combat - gone, yourQuoting from one of the reviews here - streamlined. You don't have any freedom where it might force you to make a choice. Gone are the multiple bases, gone are base assaults (you get one over the course of the game), gone is inventory management, gone are different roles for the aliens - all sectoids are sectoids, no navigators, no engineers, no soldiers. Managed combat - gone, your snipers can only shoot if they haven't moved this turn, unless you pick a special perk which incurs an aim penalty. Oh, yes, perks - they are hidden from you until you actually get an appropriate rank, so planning character development is also gone. Of course you can plan new recruits' development ahead after one of your soldiers reaches colonel in desired class. But guess what - you can't plan classes. All recruits get a random class upon promotion. The aliens have the advantage of a free move when you see them. Yes - you see a cluster of aliens and they all immediately get a free move. Thankfully, they only use it to take cover. Oh, you don't have to bother with managing ammunition now. It's unlimited (but you still have to reload). But gosh, unlimited ammunition for an autoacannon means free destruction. We can't have that. So free targeting is also gone. You can only destroy cover if you aim at an enemy and miss. But you have rockets! One per mission, with a 10% miss rate and an epileptic aim camera. At least the graphics are pretty. Except they aren't. Unreal Engine 3 has is limits and the multilayered layout will have you ripping out your hair in frustration when you spend a good minute rotating and elevating the camera to activate that one movement spot AND MISSING IT! The game isn't all terribad, surely, but it tosses too much of the orginal's brilliance in favor of streamlined and unburdened gameplay. Did I mention it messes up your saves so any Ironman game has a ~25% chance to end in a premature defenestration? Expand
  61. Mar 27, 2013
    If you can get past the tutorial stages despite all the glitched keyboard/mouse setting, you will have fun. This game had so much potential but fell short consistently, but that doesn't mean it's boring. The game is fascinating. Just not meant to be played with a PC.
  62. Dec 23, 2012
    Very solid game. A little to simplified compared to the original for true greatness, yet still a good game and fun to play. It does a lot of things right and the tactical combat can be a blast at times. Recommended for anyone interested in those kind of games. One of only a few non-indie games these year worth buying.
  63. Mar 7, 2013
    Loved original X-COM in 90's. This one is definitely not just a remake with contemporary graphics, it's a different game. It is still great as such. I do feel that it was somewhat over-simplified compared to original, especially missed are the inventory and picking up enemy weapons. Still, it provides a great tactical depth, and you have to actually think on your moves, instead of justLoved original X-COM in 90's. This one is definitely not just a remake with contemporary graphics, it's a different game. It is still great as such. I do feel that it was somewhat over-simplified compared to original, especially missed are the inventory and picking up enemy weapons. Still, it provides a great tactical depth, and you have to actually think on your moves, instead of just clicking things very fast. Expand
  64. Jun 25, 2013
    Without a doubt XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of the better games that have come out recently. It manages to create very athmospheric gaming experience. Especially during first play through, I was genuinely scared since I didn't know what to expect.

One of the key aspects of the game is managing your base and soldiers, which is lots of fun. Soldiers are very customizable and gain experience from missions so you can level them up. You get attached to them and it can be upsetting when you loose them in battle. The game very is streamlined and everything works intuitively. Item management is a bit cumbersome, but otherwise I had no issues with gaming interface.

The alien design (although a bit cartoony) is also great. Almost all aliens can be devastating in their own way and you can rarely take any enemy troops lightly. Some aliens like cryssalids, berserkers and PSI-using aliens force you act quickly and can really bring panicky feeling to missions. After few missions, your really start to fear them.

Main weak point of this game are special missions and maps that quickly become repetitive. Also the plot is rather irrelevant after one play through. Still the game has good replay value and gives lots of playtime compared many other titles.

NOTE: I haven't played the original XCOM games (altough I've seen gameplay video etc.) so I reviewed this title as independent game.
  65. Oct 9, 2012
    XCOM is true successor to original game! Unless you are butthurt HC/Elitist then you might think other way. If you have never played turn based strategy/action game rest assure you won't be disappointed! XCOM is awesome mix of tactical combat and strategic management of you base/research and etc. Sound is rock solid aside from generic solders voices. Graphics r great for this kind of theXCOM is true successor to original game! Unless you are butthurt HC/Elitist then you might think other way. If you have never played turn based strategy/action game rest assure you won't be disappointed! XCOM is awesome mix of tactical combat and strategic management of you base/research and etc. Sound is rock solid aside from generic solders voices. Graphics r great for this kind of the game. And Gameplay will get you hooked in no time. Replay value is tremendous. And if you want quick fix just jump in to the multiplayer. Highly recommend to all true gamers up there! Thank you Dev team and Fraxis for this great Take on the classic game! Expand
  66. Sep 18, 2013
    I have never played another game in the X-COM series and don't have much experience with turn and squad based tactical games like this but I was not disappointed with X-COM. The ant-farm approach to the base management mini-game is a nice touch and killing aliens is fun. Save your games a lot and go for satellite coverage above all else and you'll do fine, the game is hard even on easyI have never played another game in the X-COM series and don't have much experience with turn and squad based tactical games like this but I was not disappointed with X-COM. The ant-farm approach to the base management mini-game is a nice touch and killing aliens is fun. Save your games a lot and go for satellite coverage above all else and you'll do fine, the game is hard even on easy (at least for me). Expand
  67. Aug 19, 2014
    As fan of first classic X-Com am disappointed of where this go, and from what I see have no reason to play this. Strategy is better when its more complex and realistic, where apparently here they do everything to make it worst.
  68. Nov 22, 2012
    A very mediocre turn-based console game. Read some of the negative reviews before purchasing, and take my word as a decade-long tactical games fan: this game offers NOTHING new. Nothing at all. There is absolutely NO reason to play it. Actually, I believe that even an RPG like Dragon Age: Origins had more of both strategic and tactical choices.
    Very dissapointing, unbelievably overpriced.
    Very dissapointing, unbelievably overpriced. Oh, and the voice acting is atrocious. Borderline criminal.
  69. Jan 12, 2014
    A solid game, great graphics and sound. Good ui and easy to learn, good story and interesting. I'm not a RTS player but this game hits the mark and well. The only complaint I have was a minor glitch where the enemies shots would go through walls and objects and hit you, other than that its a great game.
  70. Oct 28, 2012
    Its very good and addictive game, if you play at normal difficulty. If you thinking of trying classic, then dont. Its kind of impossible difficulty even for XCOM veterans. The game contains numerous bugs and spoilers, lets hope they get repaired soon. Worst is when you are in larger alien ship - the graphical engine constantly shows you other levels than you need to view. That isIts very good and addictive game, if you play at normal difficulty. If you thinking of trying classic, then dont. Its kind of impossible difficulty even for XCOM veterans. The game contains numerous bugs and spoilers, lets hope they get repaired soon. Worst is when you are in larger alien ship - the graphical engine constantly shows you other levels than you need to view. That is embarassing. Id also prefer more diversity, the original XCOM has the element of surprise and randomness, which this XCOM lacks at the geoscape level. Expand
  71. Oct 13, 2012
    An awesome game - difficult (on classic at least), complex and demanding. After terribly disappointing CIV V Firaxis finally released deep and fun TBS. There is a lot of decisions to be made and different setups to try out, but beware: the game will punish your severely for your mistakes - an approach that is the heart of old games from '90 and that is seldom found in modern titles. It isAn awesome game - difficult (on classic at least), complex and demanding. After terribly disappointing CIV V Firaxis finally released deep and fun TBS. There is a lot of decisions to be made and different setups to try out, but beware: the game will punish your severely for your mistakes - an approach that is the heart of old games from '90 and that is seldom found in modern titles. It is more in line with last UFO serie (Afterlight, Aftermath, Aftershock) than with the original, but that is not necessary a bad thing. The game is great, although not ideal - camera does not work well sometimes and is overall rather unresponsive. On top of that the variety of maps is poor and they become repetitive quite fast. Also I have no idea how moddable the game is and in the long run it is up to the mods to keep this game alive. This does not change the fact that XCOM is the best game of this year so far for me. Expand
  72. Oct 9, 2012
    Well, at first it seemed alright, i would have originally gave it like a 6 or 7. But just as i was about to get off, i realized there was alot more to do. that bumped me up to like a 8. I saw the game being good because i could experiment with different stuff like equipment and tactics. But then that was about it. So just as im about to get off to write my review, im playing a mission toWell, at first it seemed alright, i would have originally gave it like a 6 or 7. But just as i was about to get off, i realized there was alot more to do. that bumped me up to like a 8. I saw the game being good because i could experiment with different stuff like equipment and tactics. But then that was about it. So just as im about to get off to write my review, im playing a mission to escort a scientist to safety. Just as im about to extract him, a hiding alien kills him with overwatch...that ended my happiness. And then the next mission after was a terror mission! Now get this. The only species of alien in this entire mission were chryssalids...now im not going to give away what they are if you are new to xcom, but lets just say too many of these buggers on a terror mission and not even maxed veterans can fully survive. So i lost 5 out of my 6 men while taking 23 of those little buggers with me. Thats when i decided this game deserves a 9. Not only does it create a challenge. But it has a good feel to it where you dont get bored. It gives you just enough uniqueness to think its something new. But thats where i think it may have a hard time. Today's kids drop anything they can't really beat the first or second try. Well ladies and gentlemen. If this is your first xcom. You aren't going to beat it your first or second try. Possibly not even your tenth. Then again i am playing on iron man...oh well. I'd surely recommend XCOM:Enemy Unkown to all players that enjoy a good challenge and have fun doing so. Expand
  73. Nov 11, 2012
    If you're like me you've considered shaving your head.
    To this I can say we should find out where that council honcho gets his head shaved.
    All I want is a nice blue sheen like that guys got going on.
    I'd like to keep the face though. I'm quite partial to it.
  74. Jul 1, 2013
    This turn based strategy game is absolutely brilliant. Being a newcomer to Xcom, the learing curve is actually nice and enought gentle to teach you everything.
    Progression in game feels great, with enough effort you get more and more powerful weapons, skills and equipment.
    Graphic is functional with some nice effects. Nothing that will blast your mind, but appopriate for the genre. It runs on max setting on my gaming laptop, non very demanding game.
    The Xbox controller support works great, and its a pleasure to play it on my big LCD TV screen.

Tired of the usualy fps games and copycats, Xcom is a welcome game that offers many hours of fun.
  75. Dec 28, 2012
    One of the best releases this year. A few minor complaints withstanding, the gameplay is addictive and fun. The missions do get a bit monotonous, they could have added some variety to the locations in game (every city looks the same). The permadeath mechanics add a great level of tension to each mission.The aliens are challenging, often to a frustrating degree, leading to suspense eachOne of the best releases this year. A few minor complaints withstanding, the gameplay is addictive and fun. The missions do get a bit monotonous, they could have added some variety to the locations in game (every city looks the same). The permadeath mechanics add a great level of tension to each mission.The aliens are challenging, often to a frustrating degree, leading to suspense each time you send a prized squad member to scout the fog of war. Well worth the money Expand
  76. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of those games where hours will fly by and it will feel like minutes. You'll be playing for "just one more" mission, research project, or exploded alien. And then do it again. And again. The only thing keeping this from being a 10 is the two game-stopping bugs I experienced in my 12-hour playthrough. Once the game simply stopped letting me do anything, it just stayed on theThis is one of those games where hours will fly by and it will feel like minutes. You'll be playing for "just one more" mission, research project, or exploded alien. And then do it again. And again. The only thing keeping this from being a 10 is the two game-stopping bugs I experienced in my 12-hour playthrough. Once the game simply stopped letting me do anything, it just stayed on the aliens' turn forever. The 2nd time was a crash to desktop, on the final mission no less. Expand
  77. Nov 25, 2012
    Terrific game. I am not a turn based guy at all but this game is the only one I not only can stand playing but actually enjoy. A lot of variety in levels and enemies and every single encounter felt fresh and unpredictable. It is a great game to show off your strategic side. A breath of fresh air in a era of FPS.
  78. Aug 8, 2014
    This game is turn based game, but you must try it. The graphic game is great. The storyline is very good. This game has psychic power that can use for weapon, control enenmy, etc.
  79. Mar 10, 2013
    I had high hopes for this remake of this classic. Unfortunately this is yet another wasted opportunity, Firaxis has struck out again (I also disliked Civ 5, Civ 4 was much better).
    I don't mind the dumbing down of gameplay if what was left in was well designed. But the game is a disaster horrible interface, average graphics and a really bad AI that cheats in frustrating ways. Civ 5 had an overly complex interface that looked pretty but wasn't very functional, the XCOM interface doesn't even manage to look nice. I would have preferred a single screen for each soldier that shows everything about the soldier their equipment, stats, abilities etc. Instead, in different parts of the game I see different information, and some is always missing or hard to access. So much button clicking, so many ugly game screens.
    I wish Firaxis would just sell the rights to these classics to a developer that has some talented designers/programmers. They obviously have none themselves and it's a shame to waste these licenses.
  80. Oct 23, 2012
    A fair game, with interesting gameplay and visuals. However, the game lacks in story-depth and suffers from the lack of attention and story-telling after the first half of the game. The game has extremely little variety in choices and missions. Research and interrogation is extremely simple and short-lived, without adding much to the story, and is quickly forgotten. The best items can beA fair game, with interesting gameplay and visuals. However, the game lacks in story-depth and suffers from the lack of attention and story-telling after the first half of the game. The game has extremely little variety in choices and missions. Research and interrogation is extremely simple and short-lived, without adding much to the story, and is quickly forgotten. The best items can be attained early in the game, and research and production no longer have a function in the late game. Missions are extremely repetitive, and will force you into completing the same missions over and over again with absolutely no variety. Ending is extremely disappointing, and again drops the ball with story-telling when compared to the first half of the game. Expand
  81. Oct 9, 2012
    It's not X-Com, so if that's why you're here you'll be somewhat disappointed. On its own merits the game is good, but not the best in the genre. The name hinders it really, since players will expect more from it.
  82. May 27, 2013
    This is the first and only X-COM game I've ever played, so I'm not rating it down because it isn't the same. I'm rating it so low because it is not a strategy game as it is billed. There are several major reasons for this.

First, the "random" aspects are not actually random. I'm not talking about how savescumming is prevented due to the random seed. I'm talking about how the computer is a cheating bastard. I had a mission once where the first enemy to fire scored a critical hit every time. It didn't matter which enemy was shooting, where they were shooting from, who their target was, where their target was, the cover their target was in, or if the enemy that was shooting took their shot before or after another enemy moved. I tested this by retreating continually and forcing the enemy to follow me to take their shot. I crossed the entire map back to the start point, and without fail the first shot taken by the AI every turn resulted in a critical hit.

Second, the cover system is absolutely horrendous. There are four levels of cover. 0 is no cover. 1 is "half" cover. 2 is "full" cover. 3 is "full" cover with the Hunkered Down ability active. These aren't the actual numerical values as the game uses them to calculate anything, they're just my observation. Okay, now that I've explained that, forget about it, because the game will. Enemies can and will shoot you through walls. The shots will visibly pass right through them. They will shoot you through floors. They will shoot you through bus stops. They will shoot you from fifty feet into the adjacent room behind a solid wall where the only way you can see them is from their red outline because even the camera can't see them. A car provides the exact same amount of cover when it's intact as it does when it is a smoldering wreck. It's very annoying to get hit by an enemy who is making a shot that is simply not physically possible.

Third, the computer is a cheating bastard. Yes, again. They don't follow any movement rules, it seems. When you encounter enemies they immediately interrupt your turn to move into cover. Floaters can teleport onto your flanks at will. Berserkers can interrupt your turn to move. Thin Men will literally drop from the sky on your flanks. Sectopods can take three actions per turn. Enemies will spawn right in the middle of your squad. Groups of enemies will teleport around the map if you lose sight of them. In other words, there is no strategy involved in placing your units, you just need to hope the game decides to be nice.

Fourth, squad panic is simply awful. XCOM is supposed to be the world's most elite military force. So why do they act like they've never been in a firefight before? One of your units takes a hit, and your other members of the world's most elite military force turn all the way around, take aim on the person beside them, yell "HELP ME!" and shoot them in the face. Losing a squad member because they got shot through a wall is bad enough, now you're just rubbing it in for no good reason.

Fifth, global panic. The first thing I want to point out is how incredibly stupid this sort of conversation must sound. "Hello, is this XCOM, the world's most elite military force focused on fighting the alien invasion? This is the President of the United States. We have decided we are being invaded by too many aliens to require the help of the world's most elite military force focused on fighting the alien invasion. Please stop saving our citizen's lives." The second thing is that the system is simply broken. Not taking a mission in a country increases the panic levels of all the countries on that continent for some reason, not just the one being attacked by aliens. This means that no matter how well you are playing the game, you will eventually lose. A game where you are guaranteed to lose is a very badly designed game.

Sixth, I have an underground complex filled with advanced technology, soldiers who can practically blow things up with their minds, multiple satellites over every continent, multiple heavily armed interceptors stationed on every continent, but when three cities get attacked by aliens at once I can only send one group of six people while the other ninety-three soldiers twiddle their thumbs in the Barracks.

To summarize, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is not a strategy game. It fails at the most important element of a strategy game: Rewarding strategy. It would get a 0 for that reason, but it's actually quite entertaining once you realize it's not a strategy game and start to play accordingly. That, and it changes the lights on my keyboard to coincide with the enemy turns and I think that's neat.
  83. Oct 9, 2012
    First off, this is really not an X-Com game and if you go in looking at it as a new IP then you will be a lot better off. The game is heavily streamlined/dumbed-down from its origins and rather than a turn-based strategy game like the original X-Com games, you are buying a turn-based ACTION game, like a turn-based Gears of War.

You are limited to 4 squad members to start, you cannot

You are limited to 4 squad members to start, you cannot build or manage new bases, the maps are pre-done rather than random (and can repeat through a game), and virtually all of the strategic portions of the original X-Com have been deleted. I suspect this was done to "attract the CoD/GeoW audience" but it just makes the unsuitable for any true strategy gamer and its slow pace will certainly keep away the FPS fans. Now this is not specifically a "bad" game, and if you are the type of gamer who thought "wouldn't it be cool to command a Gears of War squadron (dressed in Mass Effect armor) in a turn-based game but without all those unnecessary strategic elements, new base building, and micro-managing" then this is the game for you. X-Com EU has loses the overall strategic gameplay, and is all turn-based action with Mass Effect armor and guns. Not for me, but who knows, there might be an big undiscovered market for this game type.
  84. Oct 15, 2012
    Simply put, in spite of many defects, this game is magnificent. The mix of combat tactics, base management, research, and basic rpg is an almost perfect combination which still keeps me longing to play more.
    Sure, the interface is extremely dumbed down (while in combat, I was definitely missing a soldier's list in the UI) and has evident usability errors (for example: basic shortcuts, common to every soldier, vary depending on the soldier's additional abilities, which prevents using them quickly and is just dumb), and a deeper base and research management would've been welcome. But there's still a load of variables to account for, and they're all tied in a string of consequences that will need accurate planning. And. The fighting is awesome. Sure, there are bugs (line of sight is not always clear, and sometimes hidden enemies can be targeted more easily than ones that are almost in the open) and even more missing features in the interface. But it's still deeply tactical and terribly fun. With a better interface and bugs fixed, this game would deserve a 10++.
  85. Oct 13, 2012
    Well done Firaxis! Amazing work. I would have rated with 95%, however rounding gives a 10. I have over 20hours of gameplay and haven't encountered a single bug. I don't know, since when I had to see something like this. 1990s or when? My only point of criticism or better nostalgia is the ability of the aliens to invade your base... Most of the concept has been reworked and overall improvedWell done Firaxis! Amazing work. I would have rated with 95%, however rounding gives a 10. I have over 20hours of gameplay and haven't encountered a single bug. I don't know, since when I had to see something like this. 1990s or when? My only point of criticism or better nostalgia is the ability of the aliens to invade your base... Most of the concept has been reworked and overall improved e.g. no more insane macromanagement is needed. Micromanagement is a lot more tactical and action orientated and a lot less logistic. It is definitely the best turn based strategy of the decade. Keep up the good work Mr. Solomon! You managed to revive Microprose from its ashes. I gave you a 10, but now we are expecting to see XCOM: Terror from the Deep. ;-) Long live turn-based strategy games! Long live XCOM series! Expand
  86. Jan 16, 2013
    In the near future when aliens invade earth and start destroying everything they find you get put in charge of earths last stand; an organisation called Xcom. You get given a secret underground base which you are constantly expanding in order to combat the aliens from here you can send out satellites (which will track down enemy UFOs), build facilities, launch fighter planes (to take outIn the near future when aliens invade earth and start destroying everything they find you get put in charge of earths last stand; an organisation called Xcom. You get given a secret underground base which you are constantly expanding in order to combat the aliens from here you can send out satellites (which will track down enemy UFOs), build facilities, launch fighter planes (to take out UFOs) and send out troops to different parts of the world. As you progress further through the game you will find out more about the aliens and eventually travel to their mother ship and take out their leader.
    Xcom is a turn based strategy game in which you use guns to combat an alien threat which also includes blood so 12 is a pretty accurate rating for this game. The game can get very addictive when you play it and can leave you playing for hours but it can also be extremely frustrating at times for example if all your best troops get shot or if the games physics make no sense what so ever (unfortunately this happens quite a lot). Xcom can make you very angry at times but it can also improve your knowledge in strategic thinking over time.
    The gameplay of Xcom is a turn based strategy with simple movement and shooting based on chance the problem with the game is that there is so many glitches to do with the animations and objects in the world for example I have shot through solid objects way to many times to be just a glitch that they forgot about and the chances of shooting aliens make no sense whatsoever for example if you shoot at an alien behind heavy cover while standing right next to him you will not have as much chance as if you where shooting at him from behind while standing miles away
    My verdict on this is that it is a good game to play if you want to play for a long while if you don
  87. Aug 21, 2013
    While no where as deep as the originals, the gameplay has been stripped down to it's essential elements and refined to match the gameplay innovations made since its first release in the mid-90s.

Is it perfect? Far from it. The simplicity of the game leaves much to be desired, but even with all of that said, it --is-- Xcom and a better product than even Xcom Apocalypse. However, I

However, I must rate it one point lower for absolutely no mod support, which is critical for these sorts of games.
  88. Dec 4, 2014
    Okay... really fast review, because there is no point in investing any more time in anything related to that game.

The game just plain sucks. The combat is trivial and boring, there is no depth to it at all. Whoever designed the enemies and the overall combat system should stick to coloring books. The UI feels like some bad console port and is miles behind... hm.. let's say Chaos Gate - a game nearly 15years older. You are constantly bothered with - rather ugly looking - cut-scenes, that only deliver no real information - or information that could've the player in a much better way.

Seriously, combat - **** building a base - boring, cut-scenes - annoying, graphics - okay-ish at best... the overall design of the game is just plain bad.

Oh and btw. I am not familiar with the previous games of the xcom series, so this is not a disappointed fan boy rant, but I genuinely rate this game 2/10, because it sucks.
  89. Oct 11, 2012
    Another classic series goes down the toilet in an entirely depressing cashgrab for mainstream gaming dollars, brought to us by a bunch of greedy spoons who clearly know that what made the original series great doesn't hype as well as CG cutscenes and FXAA. This is more like Mass Effect than XCOM. There's almost no tactics involved, the game holds your hand, tells you what to do, and blocksAnother classic series goes down the toilet in an entirely depressing cashgrab for mainstream gaming dollars, brought to us by a bunch of greedy spoons who clearly know that what made the original series great doesn't hype as well as CG cutscenes and FXAA. This is more like Mass Effect than XCOM. There's almost no tactics involved, the game holds your hand, tells you what to do, and blocks you from doing anything that might resemble "player choice" at every stage. The actual 'choices' the game does present you are akin to 'do you want a red or blue plastic cup' -- they are utterly meaningless. UFO Defense and TFTD were games about tactical combat and strategic planning, not cutscene driven narrative. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is all about clicking 'attack' and 'move' hotspots and watching cut scenes. There's no strategy involved. Do you consider 'Paint by Numbers' and 'Connect the Dots' to require strategic thinking? The awful voice acting, prebuilt repeating maps, and inability to design your own bases really don't even factor into the final verdict because the core game is just so utterly, utterly pointless. The people that rate this game highly deserve to continue eating such dumbed down generic spew. I'm just sad that instead of getting another good XCOM game we got... this. Expand
  90. Oct 9, 2012
    Fun game when it works, but there are alot of annoying bugs. Accuracy of weapon shots is buggy. I've seen point blank assault rifles and pistols report 20% accuracy, while long range shotgun shots report 80%. There seems to be no correlation between what you see on screen, and what will actually occur. Cover is equally buggy, with the shield (cover) icon seemingly useless. ManyFun game when it works, but there are alot of annoying bugs. Accuracy of weapon shots is buggy. I've seen point blank assault rifles and pistols report 20% accuracy, while long range shotgun shots report 80%. There seems to be no correlation between what you see on screen, and what will actually occur. Cover is equally buggy, with the shield (cover) icon seemingly useless. Many missions are buggy (its fun losing a whole squad to a disabled bomb that still blows). Cars constantly blow up (seems Michael Bay had a hand in this games development...) at even the slightest provocation taking your men with them, wouldn't be so bad if the 'flame' visual indicator wasn't buggy and only showed up 1/2 the time. The alien AI is pretty simplistic with them just standing around for you to find them on any given map. The strategic portion of the game was really dumbed down since the original, apparently picking up a med kit from a fallen ally was just 'too complex' for todays gamers... Expand
  91. Nov 2, 2012
    Pros: Absolutely spot-on evocation of the original's tense tactical missions. Great eye candy. Very streamlined gameplay (some say too streamlined, forgetting that the original could get very tedious). The research systems are interesting and the money system keeps you just strapped enough for a good challenge level. Cons: A few UI choices hides important data, for instance forcing you toPros: Absolutely spot-on evocation of the original's tense tactical missions. Great eye candy. Very streamlined gameplay (some say too streamlined, forgetting that the original could get very tedious). The research systems are interesting and the money system keeps you just strapped enough for a good challenge level. Cons: A few UI choices hides important data, for instance forcing you to tediously check the loadout of every soldier individually before deploying. The ending is lackluster. The soldier's dialog when they hear a sound cue between turns gets _very_ repetitive. Overall: A really great game! I had a lot of tense fun and this is very worthy of the name (whether XCOM or X-COM). Expand
  92. Apr 20, 2013
    It's pretty, but it's not much of a game. They stripped the original gameplay down to bare bones, then tacked on a ton of Hollywood glitz.

It seemed like they would have preferred to make a movie. XCOM:EU is great when it comes to voice acting, swooshy camera movements, and scary hissing aliens. There's not much plot and the characters are paper-thin, but it has excellent low-level production values such as animation, art, and sound effects. The gameplay is merely a way to make you sit still so that you can appreciate how much work they put into the visuals.
  93. Oct 15, 2012
    Don't you hate first day of release 10 scores, I mean how can they ever be accurate. Anyway, this is a very good squad based tactical shooter, but that is all it is. All the other xcom features are gone or simplified to the point they no longer matter. The base is just 5 menus, the whole Ant Farm Idea is just eye candy, very pretty eye candy but you never have to use it and even if you do,Don't you hate first day of release 10 scores, I mean how can they ever be accurate. Anyway, this is a very good squad based tactical shooter, but that is all it is. All the other xcom features are gone or simplified to the point they no longer matter. The base is just 5 menus, the whole Ant Farm Idea is just eye candy, very pretty eye candy but you never have to use it and even if you do, only the main ops section does anything. They gave up aliens invading your base for a pretty backdrop. UFOs are rare, which is strange for a game about UFOs because shooting them down in large numbers was kind of the whole point of these games. There is only 1 Alien base in the entire game, aliens do not establish bases in areas you failed to defend, you just get this one base and this is part of the main plot anyway. EG part of the story and not at all random in anyway. Cover in battles is so messed up you can be hit through solid walls without the wall being damaged or have zero percent chance of hitting an alien that is stood right next to you. Despite this, the battles are still very good. Aliens do not move around, they spawn when triggered, either by the player walking through invisible triggers that makes them suddenly appear, or by dropping out of the sky like magic or by just popping in to existence in front of your very eyes. Not very convincing. Again, despite this, the battles are still very good. You can play game without any fighters are all, some of my fighters have never been used or only used once after over 20 hours of game play. Unlike the original game where you had a lot of UFOs to shoot down and needed those fighters, that is just not the case here. Most of the time your dealing with UFO landings, but you never see the UFO fly to the spot and land, it just happens. Terror attacks on cities, abductions and a host of other missions make up the core squad based game play, this is what makes the game worth an 8 score on its own. Worth buying just for this if you like Squad based combat. As for the title making it sound like a UFO Enemy Unknown game, that is just a way to sell a Squad based game to an audience that may not have brought it if it was called ET Invasion or something. It may look like an UFO game but its not, there is no RPG elements in this worth speaking off, no strategy worth talking about. Just Squad based tactics, 1 out of the 3 elements that made the original game a classic is all that is left.

My advice to those considering buying is this, if your looking for a Warhammer 40k style table top battle system for the PC then this game rates an 8 out of 10 and you will love it. But if your buying this game because you want a modern UFO Enemy Unknown (UFO Defence in the USA), dont bother, your wasting your money. I am going to score this game based on its squad gameplay and give it an 8, if I was to score it based on what it should have been as a UFO clone, it would only have gotten a 4. So if you want UFO Enemy Unknown DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, but if you like squad combat and thats all you care about, you will love this.
  94. MJR
    Mar 29, 2013
    Okay I guess I should should start by saying that I have never played any XCOM games before this one so I really have no idea how they relate. That being said I have found this game to be absolutely awesome! I received the game through Steam when I pre-ordered Bioshock: infinite, which worked for me since I had always been a touch curious about XCOM but never actually got around to lookingOkay I guess I should should start by saying that I have never played any XCOM games before this one so I really have no idea how they relate. That being said I have found this game to be absolutely awesome! I received the game through Steam when I pre-ordered Bioshock: infinite, which worked for me since I had always been a touch curious about XCOM but never actually got around to looking into the game. Needless to say, I downloaded the game and was treated to a very welcome surprise in the form of a thoughtful, fun, and interesting turn-based strategy game. Everything seemed to click with the controls and I found the premise to be quite fascinating. What is probably most impressive about the game is the fact that it is so complicated yet completely accessible. I don't know where I would start to try to explain how the game works between the home base and the battle field but it makes perfect sense when playing. While the graphics aren't that great the gameplay more than makes up for it. It has been a while since I actually jumped out of my chair in triumph following the successful conclusion of a mission. If you like strategy games then you should try to find a way to give this game a try it's a rewarding and fun experience. Expand
  95. Oct 21, 2012
    Game is epicly Awesome!! It is a nice moderate RTS turn stylish game and I love it. It is new I have never played anything like it, an I an completely enjoying it! I can not wait till they do DLC or expansions or another one!
  96. Jul 17, 2013
    It's not XCom, but it's pretty fun in its own right.

It's not XCom, but it's pretty fun in its own right.

Too dumbed down to live up to its potential and I still cringe every time the characters grab the carrying handle to fire the LMG. And don't get me started on the "international" team voice actors who all sound like the come from the same two block radius somewhere in middle America. Really, so many things in this game could have been better with just a little bit of thought or effort if only the developer gave a damn.
  97. Oct 16, 2012
    Now this is what I'm talking about. A real game with real strategy and a real challenge. Very happy with this game - can't stop playing it. Don't want to stop. Get it right now.
  98. May 7, 2014
    This game totally went under my radar until recently. I played the original XCOM game back in the mid-90's and I kept seeing people talking about this game called XCOM: Enemy Unknown, not realizing they actually remade it a couple of years ago. As soon as I figured it out, I went and got it.

I don't think there are comparisons to be made with the original XCOM/UFO Enemy Unknown game despite the various similarities.

This game has two major flaws.

The first one is that it doesn't look good. Its uninspired main screen menu tells you it doesn't aim to be visually beautiful. It's not a big budget game with mindblowing graphics. I even wonder why they didn't chose to do cinematics with real actors instead of poorly animated computerd generated characters. Live acting would've reduced the cost ( it's a 2 days work, really ) and it would've made the game look better overall. But that's a personal opinion, of course.

The second flaw, and probably the most important one, is that this game is unforgiving and brutal. It's not a Ninja Gaiden Black or Dark Souls type of challenge that forces you to sharpen your skills by practicing - and ultimately defeating the game with a feeling of accomplishment. This XCOM game is just ruthless and you can't do a thing about it. There's only a tiny difference of difficulty between easy and normal, and the normal mode is very, very hard. The game doesn't tell you what to do to augment your chances of winning, especially concerning everything surrounding the base management. It won't tell you how to make profits and how to augment your chances of victory. There's a lot of stuff you get to learn by yourself at the cost of tens and tens of hours of gaming filed with what I'd call gamer rape. You are most likely to restart your game once or twice. By the third time you play, you probably will master most of the elements of the game, but it's still very hard to beat.

The combat mode is probably the best part of the game. Those who like military strategy will fall in love with this game. It's the strategic aspect of the game that kept me from giving up on it after realizing I had to invest on satellites when it was way too late. The combat mode can be very gratifying if you come up with strategies as you fight your enemies. If you send your squad to random spots without thinking of the consequences, you're most likely to get a severe beating at the hands of a formidable AI that could reduce Garry Kasparov to tears.

But then again, the difficulty of the game catches up and you'll find yourself in terrible situations more than once. Your soldiers will die and you will fail some missions unless you save and load repeatedly. The AI isn't to blame here, because if you have a smart AI, why make it dumb to alleviate the difficulty? All they had to do was to reduce their hit points and reduce the damage they could deal to you to make the game easier. But it seems the people who made this game really wanted to make it almost impossible to play for an average gamer who can't spend days playing a single video game before he actually manages to understand the mechanics of the said game.

Many so-called hardcore gamers will tell you this game is just like the old school games and that it was made difficult willingly. Sorry, but I don't agree. The good ol' hard games were hard because they were poorly designed and had close to no beta testing whatsoever. Battletoads, Friday the 13th, etc. etc. they were hard games because the people who made them had no idea on how to reduce the difficulty - or they simply didn't care. There's hard and then there's hell-worthy hard. This game falls in the second category.

There's also something that bugs me in the combat mode. Sometimes I put my soldiers in specific areas, thinking they will get a higher accuracy percentage, but it turns out they don't. I think this game required a little more tweaking here and there concerning this department.

Scenario-wise, it's very boring. They missed the opportunity of hiring a good writer who could've come up with a respectable story. Instead, we get dialogues worthy of a 10 year old boy playing with action figures.

The music is pretty good in this game. It's highly reminiscent of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but it still holds its own. There are some good tunes in this game.

Ultimately, this game is still amazing despite the harsh criticism I have on it concerning the difficulty. You end up getting the upper hand of it, but it takes so much time ( definitely 20hours+ required to know what you're doing ). I mean, we either go to school or have jobs. Sorry to put it this way but let's be honest here. This game will only be loved uncondtionally by people who don't have a life. Normal people who play video games a couple of hours once in a while will quickly give up on it. I think that commercially speaking, this game is a failure since it only appeals to a very tiny portion of gamers out there.
  99. Oct 24, 2013
    A great game that can only be made to look negative by giving it a direct comparison with the original.

Story line is decent. Combat and developing your base & arsenal is greatly entertaining. Combat can feel a bit simplified at times as it is rather dumbed down, but is made more dynamic by the unit abilities gained through promotions. The game is not overly challenging although it

The game is not overly challenging although it may take more than one playthrough to really get a feel of what you should be doing early in the game.
  100. Feb 21, 2014
    Purchased this game in a Steam sale and spent about 6 hours playing it. The mechanics started feeling repetitive and unoriginal after the first 4-5 missions. Game mechanics are in every game, but for some reason this game kept reminding me that it was a game... not an action packed experience. Before others say I'm not cut out for turn based games... I've got hundreds of hours playingPurchased this game in a Steam sale and spent about 6 hours playing it. The mechanics started feeling repetitive and unoriginal after the first 4-5 missions. Game mechanics are in every game, but for some reason this game kept reminding me that it was a game... not an action packed experience. Before others say I'm not cut out for turn based games... I've got hundreds of hours playing Civilization V. XCOM wasn't the game for me. Expand

Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.