8.2

1. Jan 16, 2018
    This has remained my favourite game since its release putting several hundred hours into it. It is endlessly replayable, with its challenging difficulty settings and ironman mode as well as plenty of mod support.
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    One of the very best games I have played in years. The only reason I did not give it a 10 is due to a small lack of more varied starting set ups that would give each replay a bit more of a unique feel. To be sure this is an incredibly small gripe. Buy this game.
  3. Oct 6, 2013
    Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome:Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome: Total War, Dues Ex and XCom are the juggernauts of the medium.

It was a brave choice to remake it, because they were never going to fully win over the faithful. But on the other hand, it would be sad to let it die. All in all, it's not perfect, but it does the heritage justice.

Assuming you've played the original, long story short: The battles are far more exciting, the campaign is dumbed down.

Battles: Still turn based. Time units are gone, replaced with 2 action points. Move and shoot, move and snap shot (now called overwatch), move and ability (or item) or move and move. Seems overly simplistic, but the balance of unit types and terrain keeps it from getting too tedious.

The Good: You won't spend 10 minutes looking for the one last alien whose camped out in a house for some reason. Faster battles, more shooting, feels like a battle instead of a hunt. Unit types are broken down by classes, which makes squad assembly a lot easier, but in a good way.

The bad: The enemies "patrol," which means they agro when you see them. There is very little AI on their part. They rarely retreat. They also get a bonus move where they move to cover whether they move into your zone or you move into theirs.

Campaign: Pretty familiar. You pick a location for your base and build up. You can only have one base and the aliens never attack it. Scientists and Engineers are awarded as mission bonuses and over time, more or less.

Good: It's pretty close to the original. Combat gear is expensive to build, but you never lose it.

Bad: Dumbed down. No additional bases, no base attacks, half the building options are completely unnecessary. Even though 2/4 of the unit types are specialized, your soldiers advance at the same rate, leaving you with a ton of snipers and heavies that you never use and never enough Assault and Support units. Once you build the Firestorm, you will never lose an aerial battle.

Overall: Do everything in your power to build satellites in the beginning game and after a few months you won't be for want of money.

Misc note: Any veteran player will want to play on Ironman mode, where any death on the battlefield is permanent. But the game isn't really set up for that, unless you play it perfectly. In the original, there were low level missions intermixed with the higher ones, so you could level up your B and C squad without thinking too much about it. In this one, if you are smart with your research priorities, you've got 10-20 missions in the whole game. You have to deliberately bring lower units on important missions (they are all important). A squad wipe halfway through the game can be the end. Once the heavy enemies start showing up, unless you have a good squad, you're done for. Ironman mode seems to be a last minute addition.

Ending Thoughts: This is a great game. I love it. It has a few flaws that keep it from being perfect. But if you were a fan, you will probably like it. I wish it was a bit more complex, but you can't have everything. I wish there were more to it, but it's the best sequel to the original, and I include all the official sequels in there.
  4. Mar 10, 2013
    I think XCOM is a great game. Multitude of campaigns, but above all the turn-based combat is the most successful game. In the negative section base management is improved. But the game is amazing in the playable section. Totally recommended.
  5. Oct 14, 2012
    Played at least 20 hours on the weekend, had to restart multiple times due to some really bad choices but I'm having a blast. Firaxis removed a lot of busywork like overblown inventory management of the original and thus streamlined this game but in a good way. My only real complaint is about the camera. It bugs frequently during the action scenes and fighting on multiple elevations isPlayed at least 20 hours on the weekend, had to restart multiple times due to some really bad choices but I'm having a blast. Firaxis removed a lot of busywork like overblown inventory management of the original and thus streamlined this game but in a good way. My only real complaint is about the camera. It bugs frequently during the action scenes and fighting on multiple elevations is very frustrating because often there is something (roof) clipping and blocking your view. Expand
  6. Oct 15, 2012
    It's been a long time since we got a good turn based game on the PC, brings a tear of happiness to my eyes.

Also, needs more different shades of pink, so i can rice out my squad.
  7. Oct 10, 2012
    Very good..a lot like the 1993 version which is a game i would play for hours on end,has almost all the things I used to to dream that version had..it is a little simpified compared to the 1993 version..but hey thats our fault we stoped calling friends and family out for being too stupid to fact check things and we let them be intelleculay lazy well this is the end result and it willVery good..a lot like the 1993 version which is a game i would play for hours on end,has almost all the things I used to to dream that version had..it is a little simpified compared to the 1993 version..but hey thats our fault we stoped calling friends and family out for being too stupid to fact check things and we let them be intelleculay lazy well this is the end result and it will continue to be so ..games that takes brains are long gone..so enjoy your ride into idiotacracy .. Expand
  8. Oct 17, 2013
    I am not a turn-base game player, but this one caught my eye. It was on sale at steam for around 10.00 USD. I jumped on it. I can't put it down. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because I play on easy mode since I am not to familiar with TBS games, but as it turns out, the game becomes difficult, very difficult.
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at the level I am at.
    Warning: Do not name your soldiers with Family names. You will end up restarting and becoming sad when they die. LOL
    Great game. If it ever goes on sale at Steam again, grab it. Don't pass this one up
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is fun, but don't expect a true XCOM remake. If you are searching for an worthy remake take a look at xenonauts. The strategic possibilities were reduced to make the gameplay faster and more action based. For me the action based combat is working great and results in an satisfying gameplay experience. I would love to see an addon that brings back some of the options that theThe game is fun, but don't expect a true XCOM remake. If you are searching for an worthy remake take a look at xenonauts. The strategic possibilities were reduced to make the gameplay faster and more action based. For me the action based combat is working great and results in an satisfying gameplay experience. I would love to see an addon that brings back some of the options that the original game had. Like: multiple bases, base defense, picking up and using items during combat, different landscapes (desert, tundra, city, farm, ...), non-linear random levels and more items to research and produce. What annoyed me a little were the alien AI. The aliens start acting when you see them, they don't start moving before that.

In overall the game is fun to play and good for everyone who thought that the rounds in the original game were taking too long.
  10. Aug 1, 2014
    Utterly immersing and satisfying. If you like first person shooters as well as turn based grand strategy games (think total war series) then this merges the two in a perfect way. As a newbe to the xcom series, I have been left very impressed.
  11. Oct 19, 2012
    I never played the original xcom. But the only thing I can say is that its been VERY long time since Ive enjoyed a game so much!! I cant stop playing, is freaking amazing! Just as a was looking for a turn based game, this came up!! Worth the money!
  12. Oct 24, 2012
    Didn't played the original version but love this one. Although they were some issues I believe with just a little bit of effort it would have been a 10, but being less expensive than other game when it came out, it raise from a 8 to a 9. As you may have read from other reviews, yes there is some solid clash in the animation, point of views are sometimes off and the maps are based with theDidn't played the original version but love this one. Although they were some issues I believe with just a little bit of effort it would have been a 10, but being less expensive than other game when it came out, it raise from a 8 to a 9. As you may have read from other reviews, yes there is some solid clash in the animation, point of views are sometimes off and the maps are based with the same features. Visiting Tokyo, Calgary, Seattle, ... all looks the same. I just finished the game and it took me a good 30hours. Gameplay can be challenging, but like all other Turn by Turn game, it's quite addictive. Spinning the time and hoping that your soldier will recover or that you'll get the tech before another invasion is detected is stressfull. Expand
  13. Oct 11, 2012
    XCOM: EU is a thoroughly enjoyable sequel to the franchise, with a good balance of missions, technology, suspense, and gut wrenching decisions as you are forced to prioritize your way to victory. The graphics and engine work flawlessly together with only a few minor graphical glitches. The suspense and feelings of loss when you make a bad decision or joy at pulling off a flawlesslyXCOM: EU is a thoroughly enjoyable sequel to the franchise, with a good balance of missions, technology, suspense, and gut wrenching decisions as you are forced to prioritize your way to victory. The graphics and engine work flawlessly together with only a few minor graphical glitches. The suspense and feelings of loss when you make a bad decision or joy at pulling off a flawlessly executed strategy encourages you to push deeper and deeper into the game to fully explore it's plot. Normal difficulty seems properly tuned for players new to XCOM, Classic is definitely a challenge right in line with previous games and the Ironman feature of a single autosave makes it even more daunting.

In 30 hours I've only encountered one AI glitch where the turn would not end a quick save game reload fixed. There are only two minor complaints. The lack of a "tech tree" where you can see how far along a research path you are, something previous game iterations lacked but a useful addition if you lose track what was coming next. The second, squaddie role assignments are random, forcing you early on to mix up new teams to ensure you have two-three of each role instead of being able to pick.

TFTD was one of my favorite games when I started PC gaming in the 90's and X:EU does NOT disappoint in this regard. A modern, playable re-imaging of XCOM that comes highly recommended.
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    The graphics is gorgeous, sound is terrifiic, and great action sequences. It seems a bit hard, but maybe its just the permadeath! haha! IT would be a perfect game except the AI is kinda pathetic.
  15. Dec 31, 2012
    I'm not one for giving big wraps on a game, but XCOM:EU is really deserving of high praise. Graphics great, emersiveness great, strategy great, very clever AI, and just A+ fun for the armchair general.
  16. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is hard to review, mostly because it is a "re-imagining" of one of my favorite games. The short story is: I like it. I am playing it. So, it gets an 8. Could it have been better? Oh yes. As an X-Com remake, it falls a bit flat. Simplified is a commonly used description, "on rails" is how I'd describe it. It seems that somewhere out there in a secret gaming steering committee, anThis game is hard to review, mostly because it is a "re-imagining" of one of my favorite games. The short story is: I like it. I am playing it. So, it gets an 8. Could it have been better? Oh yes. As an X-Com remake, it falls a bit flat. Simplified is a commonly used description, "on rails" is how I'd describe it. It seems that somewhere out there in a secret gaming steering committee, an edict that games must become less complicated has been issued. Unfortunate if you believe, like me, that original X-Com succeeded, at least in part, due to it's complexity. Why should saving the world from an alien threat be easy? It shouldn't. This XCOM wants to do away with all logistics, deeming them "un-fun." Managing multiple bases and multiple away teams is a hassle, they seem to think. And trying to arrange how multiple assets will deal with multiple simultaneous threats is just a big pain, in their book, much easier (and fun-ner?) to just pick one from a list. Weird trigger based alien spawning, channelling the action in corridor sized maps, tiny squad sizes, no free fire, blah blah, you read all this before. So yes, it's not a very good remake of X-Com. But that's not all a bad thing. It's still a good game. Some games are better for their simplicity. This game does some things pretty well. It's tense and fun, soldier customization is nice (could be better - why can't I pick my class or home nation?), there are advanced difficulty options (Ironman mode!), cut scenes are fun, kill cam is nice. However, there are things it could do better without changing the nature of the game as it was envisioned. Graphics rendering is sometimes sluggish, there are tons of clipping problems, there are camera and movement bugs, voice acting can be a bit shaky, textures could be a bit nicer, an option to remove the additional click for ability confirmation would be super. So despite all of this which mostly sounds negative, I still think it's an 8. Good enough so that when I get home from work tonight, I'll be playing XCOM. Expand
  17. Oct 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First and foremost, I have to say that all around, this is a pretty solid game. Visually, it is stunning, as the makers have owned up to their claims by seamlessly combining the game play with a cinematic twinge. The actual game play on missions themselves is pretty straightforward, with quite a bit of room for custom play styles; whether you're more of a massive armor, heavy guns, run and gun style player or a sleek, stealthy tactician, either way works. The ability to completely customize your soldiers is a nice function as well. From their skills, right down to their names and how they look, it helps add some more investment for the player. Top it off with being able to completely customize each soldier's gear, and it's like Christmas every time you get something new! Being able to build your base however way you'd like is another nice touch. Maybe more research, more engineering, or however you wish to lead your group. Couple that with having to balance keeping the world powers happy and not letting them drop off the radar, literally and figuratively, helps break up the game play throughout the experience. With all that being said, the game still left me with a more-ish taste. It had a lot of different options, but never quite enough of any single one. Like the old proverb which really seems to encompass the game, "Jack of all trades, master of none". Early on it is exciting, but quickly you find yourself seeing the extent of what you can do. There may be umpteen different items to research, but only one style of each. It just felt like there could have been more customization, more research, more expansion, much more mission variety, and so forth. Still, regardless, as I said before, it is still a pretty solid game. To be completely honest, I would have been way more pleased to pay $30, maybe $40, for the game as I believe that is what it's worth. Still though, I don't regret it at all and if you're a fan of strategy games (maybe not a diehard XCOM fan), this is still well worth it, especially if you get it on sale or at a lower price! Expand
  18. Oct 10, 2012
    I played the original X-Com UFO Defense, and Terror from the Deep. Firaxis has done a superb job in providing a game that is quite simply....just X-Com, there has been some polish in certain areas of the game of course and its moved up and met modern graphical and rendering standards but as someone that was a diehard fan of the originals as I play through the new one, I can't really seeI played the original X-Com UFO Defense, and Terror from the Deep. Firaxis has done a superb job in providing a game that is quite simply....just X-Com, there has been some polish in certain areas of the game of course and its moved up and met modern graphical and rendering standards but as someone that was a diehard fan of the originals as I play through the new one, I can't really see anything that stands out to me as a dire violation of the original games premise. Some might quibble about the lack of randomly generated encounter maps, but there seem to be plenty non-RNG ones that should keep people busy. Overall there is nothing about this game that is abusing my sensibilities as a fan of the original games, they didn't miss a hitch, anything they expanded on, or removed, from the original, is barely noticeable and has no impact whatsoever on the experience being just plain and simple XCOM for the current generation. Firaxis has done the one thing many "remake" developers have not been able to achieve, they've produced the exact same product I loved 20 or so years ago, they just made it prettier, more interactive and more exciting to play. All I can say is that the one reviewer that gave this game a 70 but said it was a great game and you should buy it is the ONLY reason this game's Metacritic rating didn't breach the 90 mark. If Firaxis releases an SDK, and considers some strong DLC offerings, I'll be quite happy to snap up both. Well done Firaxis, thanks for not screwing it up! Expand
  19. Oct 18, 2012
    Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it'sPlaying XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it's all over, you begin to wonder why you ever lost touch all these years to begin with. 9.5/10 -- Solid execution, atmosphere, mechanics, and enough twists that this title isn't just a retread, it stands on its own two feet. Expand
  20. Oct 15, 2012
    The gameplay of the new XCOM easily justifies a 10, more than a 10 in my book. Unfortunately, the superlative gameplay is the only thing keeping me from bumping my review down to a 6 or 7. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm loving the game, but I've experienced numerous issues, many of which have made my missions more difficult than they should have been. I really hope they doThe gameplay of the new XCOM easily justifies a 10, more than a 10 in my book. Unfortunately, the superlative gameplay is the only thing keeping me from bumping my review down to a 6 or 7. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm loving the game, but I've experienced numerous issues, many of which have made my missions more difficult than they should have been. I really hope they do a post-release patch in the near future, and I can upgrade the game to one of my all-time favorites. Expand
  21. Oct 18, 2012
    Despite some minor issues like the consolized interface, XCOM Enemy Unknown is a worthy successor to the original XCOM game and one of the best strategy games I have played in a long time.
  22. Oct 12, 2012
    The Good: Solid strategy and tactics game. Recreates the important elements of the original with the strategy and tactical layers working together, in addition to RPG elements. XCOM presents gameplay that has both depth and breadth.

The Bad: One of the worst hand holding tutorials I have ever seen in a game. The 'tutorial' seems to last for ever, hours, and should probably more aptly be called 'Story Mode.'

The Ugly: In an attempt to make the game look slick, and appeal to a wider audience, they employ many camera tricks to make the game look more action based and cinematic. While the concept is solid the execution was poor. Many times the camera is pointing at nothing interesting and the characters clip into walls and set pieces. Good idea, bad implementation.

Overall: Love it.
  23. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is simply awesome!
    As a fan of original series, I was a bit frightened when I first heard about remake of very classic of this genre. On the other hand, Firaxis proved couple times with Civilization franchise they know how to make turn-based strategy game fun, and they didn't fail.
    This game is simply awesome!
    Although this game has some weaker points (like low variety of missions, no HQ defending missions etc. etc.), this is how remake of cult game should look!
    I am looking forward to another sequels of this franchise by Firaxis.
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    I truly get a kick out of all the old-school X-COM snobs blasting this game for not being more true to the original. Its not supposed to be the original. There are certainly problems with the game. Sure, you don't get to use nearly as many troops in a mission as the original, and depending on the difficulty you choose, it's not nearly as hard. I found myself wondering why I couldn'tI truly get a kick out of all the old-school X-COM snobs blasting this game for not being more true to the original. Its not supposed to be the original. There are certainly problems with the game. Sure, you don't get to use nearly as many troops in a mission as the original, and depending on the difficulty you choose, it's not nearly as hard. I found myself wondering why I couldn't sell old weapons and equipment I was no longer using, and it bothered me that the troops from different nations all speak American English. But these are just quibbles. It is still a good game. It is a shame when people judge it through the rose-tinted glasses of youth. The old X-COM is difficult to play now, in terms of interface, graphics, and overall difficulty. This new interpretation of the game is streamlined, yes, but not necessarily in a bad way. Also if one finds this game too easy, I challenge you to take on the Ironman setting with the newly activated 2nd Wave options enabled, preferably on Classic or Impossible. There is no need to 'defend the honor' of the original X-COM; this is not that game. This XCOM is its own game, and quite a good one at that. Expand
  25. Oct 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possible spoilers in review.
    Fantastic game, very smooth release (few bugs that I have encountered). I am now about a third through the campaign (classic difficulty); and find myself yelling at my soldiers on screen when they mess up (because I'd never miscalculate tactically, heh). I feel like, on classic, I am struggling to beat back the alien invasion and every move is vital. Being my first playthrough; if I didn't save often and then revert to said saves, I'd have already lost.
    I've heard this game is not like the original X-Com; I never played them though. However it is extremely tactically based on missions and has very good strategic development/deployment in the 'Geospace.' The graphics are fantastic, the UI is a bit unresponsive (mouse).
    The bad: some of the battle cutscenes are ridiculous. The shooter has no real LOS but still is able to fire and hit (although 2K says it's more of a graphic misrepresentation of what is really going on). When I have already broken a window/opened a door and go to shoot; it shows me breaking the window again before I fire; not very immersive. I am prior military and our tactics were to always engage with 3x the numbers, flanking, combined firepower and fields of fire. You only get to take 4 to 6 soldiers on a ground combat mission and only 1 aircraft on air intercept missions. The maps are also quite small so that you don't have to really hunt for the enemy. Also you only get one Strike Team (one Skyranger: troop air carrier) to manage per mission. I would prefer things to be bigger; maps 4x the size, multiple ships in air combat, and multiple Strike Teams. Squads in real life are about 10 men, with platoons being about 3 squads and companies being about 3 platoons (90 total men in a X-Com company). You would never send a Fire Team (half a squad) to clear a city block by themselves. Although I do understand adding more soldiers on a mission might weigh down the fast paced combat action; be a load on the computer; etc. Also, when hiring rookie soldiers you can't pick their gender or nationality but you can change their first, last, nick name, and appearance. But if a soldier goes down on a mission you can't pick up that critical medipak or stunner or grenade, etc. he was carrying and use it (no inventory system during combat).
    All in all, a very well spent $50. I can't wait to see what they do with expansions, DLC, and mods.
    men women nationalities ammo pick up items
  26. Oct 15, 2012
    In one word: Fantastic! To begin with, anyone giving this game a rating of 5 or less is not giving it the credit it deserves. Reading throurgh the poor score ratings, it becomes clear to me that folks give a 0 rating because of spite and because it is not an exact clone of the original. Of course there are differences between the original Xcom and this one, simply due to the fact that weIn one word: Fantastic! To begin with, anyone giving this game a rating of 5 or less is not giving it the credit it deserves. Reading throurgh the poor score ratings, it becomes clear to me that folks give a 0 rating because of spite and because it is not an exact clone of the original. Of course there are differences between the original Xcom and this one, simply due to the fact that we live in 2012 and not 1994. I am a big fan of the original but following the development team of the remake since it was first announced, I knew I had to keep an open mind towards a fresh and different design. And it turned out suprisingly positive! The devs succeded to keep true to the original spirit but created something fresh that works well with today's game standards. I have played around 16 hours by now and every minute I spend the game gets better. I actually stopped playing in Normal mode just after my first 3 hours and went into Classic Ironman. This is where the game really shines. You get the original feeling back, the suspense, the hope and frustration...but in a good way. You loose one of your well trained and nurtured troops, you make the wrong decision in helping a specific member state over another, you research something that should not have been a priority or you sepend the money in a project you should have spend somewhere else; all this might actually end up in you loosing the game and you will not be able to go back and undo it. You have to live with your decision and the feeling that you might actualy loose it is always present, from the very start to the finish. I can only say well done to the team of Firaxis. You have raised the bar once more after the already fantastic work with Civ V. You have given the turrn based startegy genre a fresh wind. Keep up the fantastic work! Expand
  27. Oct 17, 2012
    The only ones who rate this game with negative scores, are old folks that can only compare directly to what is taken out of the old XCOM games. I think that says enough.

Pro's: + Very intense and exciting, backed up by a good usage of luck (might frustrate players who feel they aren't in control) + A lot of though choices to make, deep tactical elements, especially in battle + The

Pro's:
    + A lot of though choices to make, deep tactical elements, especially in battle
    + The combination of perma death of your soldiers, an excellent AI and a difficult setting, make up of a great experience
    + Allows for one of the best player-driven narrative I've ever seen.

- Some camera issues
    - Strategic layer overarching the tactical missions are a bit thin, and don't live up to the complexity and realistic feel of the game

I recommend this to anyone who has some love for hard-knock, immersive strategic games.
  28. Oct 10, 2012
    Don't let the nostalgic grumps fool you. They beat off to reams of tables and pointless micromanagement and wouldn't know good, solid game design if it had its way with their cat. This game is extremely good and is head and shoulders better than the original. Only nostalgic people and toothpick-counting sperglords have reason to complain.

The only truly bad change is the weird

The only truly bad change is the weird "encounter script" where the aliens run for cover.
  29. Oct 24, 2012
    YES: -Its still fun to play game
    -Tactical battles have spirit of original 1994 game
    -Aliens, aircrafts,weapons etc are mostly based on original design -Its hard and demanding -Its a high budget turn based strategy and its 2012, i salute to 2K for courage ;) NO: -Its much much simplified comparing to the 1994 game -Music is dull and no based on original scores in any way -Its
    YES: -Its still fun to play game
    -Tactical battles have spirit of original 1994 game
    -Aliens, aircrafts,weapons etc are mostly based on original design
    -Its hard and demanding

NO: -Its much much simplified comparing to the 1994 game
    -Music is dull and no based on original scores in any way
    -Its short and kind of linear
    -tutorial is ultra annoying and its on by default
    -New Cryssalid not even half dangerous as the old one
  30. Nov 3, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game and it is by far one of the best turn-based strategy game I have played. Playing on classic ironman is tense and challenging. However there is a couples of things that puts me off from giving it a higher than 8:

1: Aliens 'teleporting' bugs, only got it once in a playthrough but it wiped my party as a sectoid, 5 chrysallids, 2 muton elites and 4 heavy floaters and 2 sectoid commanders were all dumped on me at spawn.

2. At higher difficulties one has to play very conservatively to not trigger additional spawns, which does get old after a while.
  31. Oct 13, 2012
    Love this game. True pinnacle of turn based gaming. Firaxis is to thank for that. Feel light and shallow at first until about 15 hours in. After that you are almost forced to restart on the basis that you've been playing the game all wrong. I felt the same way with Civ 5. Enough depth and entertainment to give me sleepless nights. Lots of ways to customize your play style. Great pacing.Love this game. True pinnacle of turn based gaming. Firaxis is to thank for that. Feel light and shallow at first until about 15 hours in. After that you are almost forced to restart on the basis that you've been playing the game all wrong. I felt the same way with Civ 5. Enough depth and entertainment to give me sleepless nights. Lots of ways to customize your play style. Great pacing. Sometimes wonky camera and movement , but that doesn't distract from the challenge the game offers even just playing on normal. It's a must play for any turn based fan. Expand
  32. Feb 23, 2013
    XCOM: The 21st century chess.

XCOM is a fantastic game, a must have for those who like a challenge. Just like in chess, it demands from you a lot of thinking to plan your steps and cold blood to make difficult decisions. Also as in chess, in XCOM, each piece plays a different role: you must manage your soldiers well and know the characteristics of their class. On the other side, your
    XCOM: The 21st century chess.

Also as in chess, in XCOM, each piece plays a different role: you must manage your soldiers well and know the characteristics of their class. On the other side, your enemy also has "pieces" with different characteristics, and will not forgive you if you make a mistake.

Besides all that, you have to manage your base of operations, which includes a number of tasks, such as coordinating a group of scientists studying the aliens; engineers that apply the results of these studies in the development of new technologies; the organization of how you monitor the alien activity in the rest of the world; and of course your team of soldiers: their equipment and skills (which are learned as they are promoted).

The story, no doubt, is not the most important, but it contextualizes the game well and motivates you to move foward. The most remarkable, however, is the narrative that emerges from your involvement with your own soldiers. Their deeds, good or bad, will be remembered and their deaths will never be forgotten.

XCOM is a very complete game and make you think a lot. Your enemies evolve over time, therefore you also have to keep learning and adapting, otherwise the end will be closer than you think. And the best gaming experience is in Ironman mode (which will not let you redo your actions), so the game becomes more realistic and your decisions more meaningful.
  33. Oct 13, 2012
    As a hardcore XCom fan i have to say im very impressed with this, not sure what people are saying that if you have played the original it wont be as fun? im having lots of fun? im "probably" about halfway through it and have enjoyed every moment of it. No, its not the original but it wasnt set out to be. I find it much more tactical then the first game as in this one the AI is quiteAs a hardcore XCom fan i have to say im very impressed with this, not sure what people are saying that if you have played the original it wont be as fun? im having lots of fun? im "probably" about halfway through it and have enjoyed every moment of it. No, its not the original but it wasnt set out to be. I find it much more tactical then the first game as in this one the AI is quite intelligent and you have to use the cover system and back each of your squad members up and think of every possibiltiy, which is nice. the graphics are great and give a good "personal" feeling to the game with the dynamic camera. The ant farm style base is great and gives a different feel to the game as you can see what is going on in your base like recently captured aliens being held in the containment etc, I rated this a 9 as no game is perfect in my view, it is a very good game but i would like to see certain functions be in there like someone has said when your troops initially upgrade from rookie to select which paths they take as i had 6 snipers in a group of about 12 soldiers and without hiring more soldiers i could not get the other classes which were needed, even then wasnt always certain. Also found the interface when i move my soldiers in a ufo tends to not zoom inside the ufo as id like and alot of the time see the roof when i go to move, which is a pain sometimes but its very minor. All in all from what i have played so far about 16 hours worth its a very impressive game and appeals not just to fans of the series but new ones alike. Id recommend it to anyone. Expand
  34. Oct 9, 2012
    I have to admit, I was afraid that this game would be a perfect example of a game where it was built up and then was just mediocre (Skyrim anyone?). Went ahead a bought it and I have to say, that wasn't a mistake. So I came here to see what others were saying and was pleased to see the majority agree with me. I also wanted to address the main objection the ones that gave it a negativeI have to admit, I was afraid that this game would be a perfect example of a game where it was built up and then was just mediocre (Skyrim anyone?). Went ahead a bought it and I have to say, that wasn't a mistake. So I came here to see what others were saying and was pleased to see the majority agree with me. I also wanted to address the main objection the ones that gave it a negative review have: it's depth of strategy and, stemming from that, those who say that just wanted a retexturing of the original (which, if Firaxis did that, they would be saying "just get the original on Steam for 4 bucks, Firaxis just sold us an update"). They call it "tactics" but what they really mean is strategy (tactics being squad based planning, which this game clearly has and if they say it doesn't they don't know what they're talking about). Is the global strategy dumbed down? Yes, yes it is. Is this Xcom circa 1990? No, no it is not. Examples? Sure: You can no longer manufacture things to sell to the countries for money (there is a different, simpler dynamic). Manufacturing of guns and weapons as far as I can tell is instantaneous (don't really have a problem with that, but since the major complaint is that this isn't a retexturing of the original, I'll put that in there). There are no longer any ammo conservation concerns during missions, you just need to worry about reloading (though there are a limited amount of special abilities). You can have only one base (but you can have an high number of interceptors and satellites so that, in my opinion, makes up for it espc since in the original the presence of your base had no effect on the game unlike real life or this game). The manner in which you build your base has consequences, unlike the original one. Can you ignite the entire map and let fire spread? Yes. Destructive environments? Yes. But you can't shot a GUN at a wall (you can throw grenades or fire rockets however [more realistic]). The basic complaint here from the negative people is that it isn't Xcom. They wanted a simple retexturing and updating of Xcom. I can understand that, but it's also something that you can get elsewhere (UFO Afterlite series for example). What they fail to realize is that there are a number of things that were annoying and negative about the original. Cone of sight? (Kantai *COUGH*) Who sees in that? If an alien is right next to someone but not within a side square they're not gonna see it? Gimme a break. TUs are still there but they have been updated to be more realistic, because, seriously, why does it take time to turn around in the original? The first part of a mission in the original might as well be a ballet with all the squad members twirling around to get around the vision cone. No sniper rifles in the original (seems like an oversight to me. Yes they had "rifles" and "heavy weapons" but that seems kind of dumbed down now doesn't it (Kanti, Lysh *COUGH*). There are more, but there is a character limit here.

This Game actually expands the tactical and strategic options beyond the original. I'm sorry, but having to manage you backpack like Kanti complains this game took out, that's not tactical or strategic. Being able to construct a base that makes sense and has position bonuses (like this new game does), makes sense. The main point is this. If you want the exact same, original, authentic, experience and gameplay you got from Xcom, but with updated graphics DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I don't want you buying it and then coming here and throwing a fit because it's not the same, exact Xcom. But if you want a different, enjoyable experience that takes most of the good of the original and adds new concepts and ides to it while still being true to the original, then you can't go wrong here. Are there some things that I miss? Sure. Are there some things here I didn't even know I wanted? Hell yeah there are. Would I recommend this game? Def. And that, in the end, is all that really matters
  35. Oct 12, 2012
    Wow ... Have only sky-high praise for this magnificent game! I have been involved back from the C64 days and have always had a high opinion of Sid Meier from I tried "Sid Meier's Railroad" for PC. This man knows how to develop games - period! He has only been a consultant at XCOM-EU, but Sid understands the art of mixing with only quality developers. Bravo and congratulations on aWow ... Have only sky-high praise for this magnificent game! I have been involved back from the C64 days and have always had a high opinion of Sid Meier from I tried "Sid Meier's Railroad" for PC. This man knows how to develop games - period! He has only been a consultant at XCOM-EU, but Sid understands the art of mixing with only quality developers. Bravo and congratulations on a distinguished release Firaxis Games ... once again! Really nice to see there are still companies that take pride in publishing quality (just look how far down in quality, some companies have begun to publish games. Thinking here of sots II and Legends of Pegasus). I have never given a game a score but I have quite simply felt it necessary to create an account here just to give this excellent game 10 because I think it's directly is a mortal sin that some here gives a score below 6 But unfortunately there's some who apparently have been deeply disappointed XCOM-EU is not an exact COPY of the old just in new graphic packaging. Let me close by saying, if you're into strategy, thick and heavy atmosphere which just genuinely makes you forget the time in real life - then buy the game. If you do not buy ... well, then it's your loss!

Hey, I almost forgot to mention something about the amazing music in the game. I always shut down for the music in every game but one before ..... now it's two!
  36. Oct 14, 2012
    As long you're not an anachronistic gamer, who dislike remakes and argue only in terms of his limited experience, and if you like turn-based tactical games, this might be the best game for you, for hundreds of hours. I'm probably a so called X-COM veteran, which means that I played all titles, even "Interceptor", I enjoyed the UFO series, and tons of open source remakes. I played everyAs long you're not an anachronistic gamer, who dislike remakes and argue only in terms of his limited experience, and if you like turn-based tactical games, this might be the best game for you, for hundreds of hours. I'm probably a so called X-COM veteran, which means that I played all titles, even "Interceptor", I enjoyed the UFO series, and tons of open source remakes. I played every single turn-based game since 1990. Firaxis does not create too complex games, so most of their titles are not made for experienced players. So I was expecting not too much. But my current point of view is that it is one of the best turn-based tactical games I've ever played, but you need to give it 10+ h, until it gets harder and more interesting, after the enemies got grenades and better weapons, armor, and a tactical brain. After 15 h on "Classic" and "Iron Man" it got nice, finally, I'm losing 1-2 soldiers per battle, which was one of the first suprises to me, which will change soon, I hope. I like most of the changes, because it is nice to see a different approach, because this genre is so overused. This game here is more tactical than most X-COM titles, in my opinion, even if you see less statistics and have less opportunities to count on them, due to cover and "cliffhanger" mechanics. But I miss economic features, i.e. ammunition production, which can be costly. X-COM was about team and company management. This part is very stricted now I'm missing self-organisation features from X-COM, which means: I'm not sure if it depends if I shoot a big UFO or not. UFOs and missions appears erratic to me, at least it's unclear to me and is a big minus. So I just click on "scan" for new UFOs, 1-2 abuctions and 1 special mission per month? Seems scripted to me. In old X-COM you knew that there is a relation between your missions and new bases. They cancelled radars, but added satellites which appears as radars on the map, which is somehow funny, and not only this: satellites are connected to subterranean (!) uplinks. I miss the management of 2-3 bases, but I see that this overtax some people. The ant farm base look nice, on first glance, but seems redundant to me, because the buildings are too big for a clean view and user navigation, so you're using the top buttons most the time. But I like how cover is handled, how the graphics looks like (for a turn-based game), the story (most X-COM stories are great), and the similarity to the first X-COMs. Expand
  37. Oct 28, 2012
    PLAY IT IRONMAN ONLY. XCOM is the most fun I have had playing sp with a title for a very long time. After playing FTL and Dishonered, I decided to play on ironman mode in XCOM and it turns out this was a great decision. Dishononered wasnt great for me because I just loaded saves all day, whereas FTL was fantastic because I actually had to think about consequences. WIth XCOM, the emotionalPLAY IT IRONMAN ONLY. XCOM is the most fun I have had playing sp with a title for a very long time. After playing FTL and Dishonered, I decided to play on ironman mode in XCOM and it turns out this was a great decision. Dishononered wasnt great for me because I just loaded saves all day, whereas FTL was fantastic because I actually had to think about consequences. WIth XCOM, the emotional investment in my soldiers and terriortries became intense, and the gameplay was genuinely suspenseful. I found myself laughing when a complex flank or overwatch or build order in the base came off, and slamming the desk when something went wrong or I lost patience, over extended and paid the price. The thrill of discovering new tech and dealing carefully with new aliens was fantastic, although I imagine it is limited to 1-2 playthroughs. Truly an unforgettable experience; I highly rate this title, especially if you aren't a fanboy of the original. Do yourself a favour and play it Ironman first time. Brings risk and reward back into gaming. Expand
  38. Nov 15, 2012
    This is quite far a wonderful game to play. They did what they said they would do, take the Original X-Com: UFO Defense, and build on what was great about it. They streamlined everything, making the game a fast paced, totally awesome to replay over and over again game. I loved the way that they limited the Squads to 4-6 man teams and added mini-tanks that could move quick, fly, or actThis is quite far a wonderful game to play. They did what they said they would do, take the Original X-Com: UFO Defense, and build on what was great about it. They streamlined everything, making the game a fast paced, totally awesome to replay over and over again game. I loved the way that they limited the Squads to 4-6 man teams and added mini-tanks that could move quick, fly, or act as moving cover for your human team. They made what used to be useless in the original into something you just have to have in the field. Love it, playing it, gonna play it again. Expand
  39. Nov 20, 2012
    A great mix of old and new. If you are looking for a remake of the classic games, this is not it. However if you are looking for a nice blend of the old school tactical feel with the ease for anyone to pickup and get started that is the norm for today you should be presently surprised.

Starting off the game looks good, not amazing but good. It controls very smoothly with both keyboard/mouse and gamepad (using a 360 controller). Do watch out for a few graphics glitches with SLI, the last update fixed most of these but I would still recommend running single card if you can.

The game itself is infinitely replayable. On the easiest settings most anyone can can pick it up and play it. As you adjust difficulty you can find a fair challenge for all skill types. The constant threat of loosing one of your favorite soldiers, or having a country withdraw provides a great base level of tension where every decision matters. Enabling the iron man feature ups this even more by not allowing you to load up old saves, preventing you from going back if you screw up.

The game is not perfect. Another soldier class or two would be nice (there are 4). A few more maps would also be nice (roughly 20 maps). It does seem like they are adding to both of these via DLC if that is something that interests you. For me what really makes the game a 9 out of 10 is bang for the buck. Because encounters are random, certain events are random, which map you get is random, where you enter it is somewhat random (each map seems to have 3 or 4 start points), every play through is different. I spent about 80 hours with the game before I shelved it, even then I plan to come back to the game from time to time for several years to come. There are just few games that offer such a long lasting value.
  40. Nov 24, 2012
    I've been playing PC games for 20 years and this game was quite a surprise as it is one of the best PC games I have ever played. I just beat the game on Classic mode taking my time and it took me 67 hours to finish. The game has lots of great twists and surprises. I love how the game lets you master it through discovery in game-play, trying strategies on your own, making mistakes andI've been playing PC games for 20 years and this game was quite a surprise as it is one of the best PC games I have ever played. I just beat the game on Classic mode taking my time and it took me 67 hours to finish. The game has lots of great twists and surprises. I love how the game lets you master it through discovery in game-play, trying strategies on your own, making mistakes and learning from them. The tutorial gives you a few basic strategies but after that, the designers let you learn the game on your own. The designers did a great job on the classes. For example: at first; I hated a particular class, but by the end of the game they were my favorite class. I'm sure the designers intended that as a reward for those who stuck with that class. The story was cool and I loved all the cut-scenes and story updates during the missions. I hope Firaxis and 2K put this game into a long rotation of sequels and I will be a customer. Thank-you for proving to the world that turn-based strategic combat can be an absolute blast. And thanks for having the guts to make this game exactly how it is. Where I work, I've gotten other gamers into this game and they have never played this type of game before and agree with me how much fun it is. Expand
  41. Dec 25, 2012
    I didn't put enough time into the original to make a fair assessment of how it lives up to the name, but as a stand alone, it was a great game. While the upgrades and research available could have been a little more diverse, rather than feeling like just working to get each and every unlock, the thought of something new on the horizon keeps me coming back. Gameplay did eventually feel aI didn't put enough time into the original to make a fair assessment of how it lives up to the name, but as a stand alone, it was a great game. While the upgrades and research available could have been a little more diverse, rather than feeling like just working to get each and every unlock, the thought of something new on the horizon keeps me coming back. Gameplay did eventually feel a little repetative, but I remained on the edge of my seat, and worried for the safety of my team the whole time. Expand
  42. Dec 26, 2012
    Completely awesome.

Completely awesome.

I played the original version years ago and loved it. I was sceptical because this was a remake and in my opinion remakes usually suck. I however did bought the game because of its high score here on metacritic and after playing a lot of hours i have to admit: it's awesome. I only have played this game for like 10 hours and everytime i start thinking the game goes into a loop (by repeating all the fights/attacks) something new arrives. I also love the contols, they are way better compared to 10 years ago.

The graphics are good, the music is excellent.

Have played 10 hours, will play way more hours and hope to be suprised a lot of more times :)
  43. Jan 28, 2013
    While aliens invade the world, an organisation called XCom takes place to make a stand against them. You find yourself as the commander of Xcom. This organisation establishes a base on the earth wherever commander wants. At this base, there is a whole facility you are responsible of. It has almost every opportunity to produce newer technologies. Engineers, scientists, soldiers work by yourWhile aliens invade the world, an organisation called XCom takes place to make a stand against them. You find yourself as the commander of Xcom. This organisation establishes a base on the earth wherever commander wants. At this base, there is a whole facility you are responsible of. It has almost every opportunity to produce newer technologies. Engineers, scientists, soldiers work by your commands. You can enlarge the facility by making new rooms. And soldiers, the best part of game: You can even become their godfather. Name them, create their faces, hairs, their armors. Just like a Role-Play-Gaming. By every single killing of an alien, you collect their materials and by researching these materials your facility is able to produce alien technology. Yes! You can shoot aliens by their own weapons. Your scientists research alien technologies, your engineers produce your own weapons that developed by alien technology. You can give these expensive weapons to the soldiers you choose. With all these researches and RPG themes, you will feel there would be an invisible bond between you and your soldiers. Besides you try to save the world, you also try to save your soldiers' lifes on the battlefield by making smart moves every turn. The unique thing about the game is playing "turn by turn." Every single turn you have limited move changes. Each turn, first you make your moves and afterwards aliens (cpu) do. You can choose to make your soldiers move, shoot or use a special ability in every turn. About that special abilities, you can be sure Xcom has surprises for you! Walkthrough is not straight, It is all up to you. The places where are seen alien activity are random regions every time you play. Incidents occur randomly. Graphics are good, musics and sounds are fair. There are some little bugs i faced of. However they can be ignored. If you like both strategy and role-playing-games, Xcom: Enemy Unknown is for you. Expand
  44. Jun 17, 2013
    Firstly, I would like to say that I did not play the original XCOM, but after playing XCOM:EU I feel inclined to. Firaxis present an entertaining, aesthetically and challenging turn-based game. The game definitely has its faults, such as a main 'storyline' which feels a but lackluster at times but overall serves the purpose of directing players towards completetion. Players can also chooseFirstly, I would like to say that I did not play the original XCOM, but after playing XCOM:EU I feel inclined to. Firaxis present an entertaining, aesthetically and challenging turn-based game. The game definitely has its faults, such as a main 'storyline' which feels a but lackluster at times but overall serves the purpose of directing players towards completetion. Players can also choose to ignore the storyline objectives for as long as they please, meaning that they can continue once they feel ready to.

There were a few other things that disappointed me, and prevented me from giving this game a 9/10 or 10/10. While XCOM:EU places emphasis on an international council and soldiers from a plethora of countries, the voices for soldiers (which are customisable) are all American. In a similar sense, the mission sites for terror attacks and abductions, while fun, were fairly generic and interchangeable; it would've been nice to see specific mission sites for specific countries (perhaps a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower in France or Big Ben in London, for example). While these criticisms don't necessarily detract from the core mechanics of the game, they would've made it a more immerse experience for players.

Other than these criticisms, XCOM:EU is superb turn-based strategy game. The graphics are nice to look at, the combat mechanics have some bugs but are mostly avoidable or rectifiable, and it is definitely one of the more difficult games I've played, perhaps only coming 2nd place to Dark Souls in terms of difficulty and ruthlessness. And, despite the criticisms made, I would happily say that XCOM:EU is one of the most enjoyable games to come out of 2012, and is definitely worth looking into further if you're considering buying it.
  45. May 12, 2013
    So let's start with me. I'm a simulation, strategy and first person shooter type of gamer. I went playing this games becouse AngryJoe rated this game with "Badass". And if you know AngryJoe than you already know that he's a game critic and he doesn't rate Badass every game.

Before i started playing this game, I said myself: "It's another booring Turn-Based strategy". But it was NOT! I started playing XCOM:EU and I was suprised. There's was always something that kept me playing this game. Maybe becouse of good graphic and it's effects or interesting skills system but I wanted to research, I wanted to build satellites, I wanted to buy weapons and armors, I wanted to capture alliens. That was funn. Story and cutscenes were also good.

If they would repair some bugs like annoying automatic camera movement, different building or area level look, than I would rate this games higher. I also had problem with AI. I scaned perimeter muliple times with my Sniper ability, but AI steel appeared in scaned area out of nowhere.

I Hope there will be another XCOM game soon but first let's fix the bugs
  46. Jun 25, 2014
    If you judge this by how well it is made, it is a complete ten. I've played the entire XCOM series except Terror From the Deep and the UFO Aftermath spinoff. This is the best XCOM game I've ever seen. Yes, it is simplified and streamlined but in a good way.

However, this game follows the World of Warcraft formula. There is no real end in mind. The game has an ending but you level up to level up to get better gear to level up to level up. This creates addiction. The first time I've played it, I've did it for six hours straight and then deleted the game. I've installed it a second time and played eight hours in a day.

Since then I gave up on it. If you have a lot of time on your hands, it is worth it. It has enough variety to keep you surprised, the level up system is extremely addicting and the story is very good. It combines a techno-military-thriller feel with hunting aliens. Even if the graphics are not that realistic (by design), it has a very strong military vibe to it.

I wish I had the 50 - 100 hours to finish it (with Enemy Within). However, the second time I've woke up at 02:00 AM in my bed, with my girlfriend sleeping still playing this game, I've realized I've gone too far and deleted it right away.

As a bonus though, it works great on integrated graphics. Since it is turn base you don't need big FPS but even on an Intel HD 4000 I can play it on low with decent graphics. If you tweak the ini file a bit, you'll gain 15 - 30 FPS right of the bat.

So it is hard not to give this a 10 / 10 but since there is no end in mind to it, I won't play it. It follows the same formula as Call of Duty, as World of Warcraft, as Civilization 5. And it works. If only this game was released 10 years ago when I had the time for it.

One last thing, the action is not that hard.

As long as you equip your soldiers with the right weapons (or better yet, the MEC suits in the expansion which are way overpowered in the early stages) and place them in cover, that's about the entire strategy you are going to get.

I could place my sniper high or throw a flashbang or ruin their cover with a rocket but why do so?

It is enough to place three MEC suits in front, three people in cover, preferably the support class that can fire twice after the upgrade and press "1" and "space" for every single one of them. It works for a large section of the game.

If you follow the instructions, capture the aliens, do the right research, it is hard not to overpower every alien you meet.
  47. Oct 13, 2013
    My first XCOM game ever, definitely not the last one. I don't know original XCOM from early '90, but I know that is a bit worse, that the first version (Microprose always made awesome games).
    Game is sometimes too simple (alien's AI could be better), sometimes is too hard (massive misses from soldiers, even with HIGH aim skill). It also have few annoying bugs camera works, hud bugs (guard/reload with few soldiers), critical wounded soldiers in final mission or atack on ufo-base. Could have more maps after all, could have more soldiers nations and more countries (if I'm allowed to lose 8 countries from the total number of (about) twenty, it's too easy).
    But, besides that, it's really great piece of work. Not so easy as almost every game this days (even GTA looks too easy, San Andreas was last one really cool piece of hard work), have an AMAZING soundtrack (Michael McCann still sounds amazing, just as he did in DX:HR), and still give you at least 30-50 hours of playing. Including the top difficulty level (which is really tough) and Ironman mode you could gain even about 100 hours of playing. And that is definitely good score.
    One more thing "One more turn" syndrome is absolutely here. It only happens to me with a few games (SCII, Age of Empires, Football Manager), so, at least for me, it's worth buying and playing.
    It could be more difficult to gain access to all discoverable goodies from aliens, but that's probably only mine opinion.
  48. Oct 21, 2013
    It's pretty sad that some die-hard UFO defense fans are downrating this game just because it fell short of their expectation. As a self-contained item, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a genuinely great game. I'll keep this short. The soundtrack is alright, the gameplay is excellent, and the presentation is wonderful. Soldier customization personalizes characters and in combination with theIt's pretty sad that some die-hard UFO defense fans are downrating this game just because it fell short of their expectation. As a self-contained item, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a genuinely great game. I'll keep this short. The soundtrack is alright, the gameplay is excellent, and the presentation is wonderful. Soldier customization personalizes characters and in combination with the brilliant ironman mode, it can be pretty crushing to see them die. There aren't a whole lot of maps, and it can be repetitive after continuous play, but technological developments tend to refresh the gameplay and keep it interesting.

In brief summary:
    Good
    - Addictive, relatively deep gameplay
    - Extremely strong presentation
    - Extensive customization options
    Bad
    - The amount of RNG (basically luck based gameplay) may irritate some.
    - Not as in-depth as it could have been.
    - Becomes a little bit repetitive.
  49. Dec 1, 2013
    I LOVE THIS GAME.
    I've never played any of the predecessors prior to XCOM Enemy Unknown and this game straight injected addiction into my ready and open veins.
    After I downloaded and started playing..... I.... could.....not.....get off of it. If you like tactical turn based strategy. THIS GAME IS A MUST!!! Only thing I didn't like about it... was there is no auto save feature....
    I LOVE THIS GAME.

If you like tactical turn based strategy. THIS GAME IS A MUST!!!

Only thing I didn't like about it... was there is no auto save feature.... so pro tip: SAVE OFTEN.
    it'll prevent headaches lol

GREAT GAME
  50. Jan 29, 2014
    I am an XCOM fan and I find this is an awesome reboot of the series. Unfortunately the story is a bit short. The Slingshot DLC requires a replay of the game once installed hence for those fans out there, make sure you purchase this DLC upfront else you will need to spend another 40 odd hours to replay the whole lot!!!

I am looking forward with Enemy Within DLC but for the price of USD

I am looking forward with Enemy Within DLC but for the price of USD 39 on just an expansion....I'll wait for a good deal
  51. Feb 14, 2014
    I never played old xcom, but it don't regret that. This game has some bugs like shooting through walls, weird angles of shooting, very rare freeze after animations, but overall game is fantastic :) On the higher levels with second wave options game i really hard and requiring. Maybe there's not many options as it old xcom had, but in my opinion there's a lot of things and research to obtain :)
  52. Feb 14, 2014
    I love this game, every character you make gets you attached to them, i already have completed it, and its just... BEYOND amazing! I love all the different alien types and i would not be playing it if it weren't for a youtuber!
  53. Sep 28, 2014
    Great game. The tactics are quite simple and make for streamlined gameplay. Its not bad for it, the range of maps is quite good. The solider nationalities and editing give you a connection with them, if you play on ironman you feel gutted if a favourite dies.

The ironman mode is really good one bad mission can cause a lot of problems. I would like to see more mission types although

The ironman mode is really good one bad mission can cause a lot of problems.

I would like to see more mission types although the missions themselves seem to be quite different with each play through.

Would recommend however if you are looking for in depth combat you may be disappointed.
  54. Jul 12, 2016
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown and its addons are de facto re-issue the game UFO Defence game 1993 year edition. Established Firaxis Games and published by 2K new game turned out pretty not bad. The basic details and the scenario were simply transferred from the 1993 year game: as the war with the aliens, turn-based tactics, tactical role-playing elements.
    The mission of the player is protection the
    The mission of the player is protection the planet from alien attacks, their operations on the ground and in the air. For ground operations under player control will be a special detachment. It is replenished by hiring for the money, so long as you have money and you will have recruits. But a large number of detachment on base senselessly because the operation can only use a limited number of soldiers 5 in the original game; 6 in addon Enemy Within. After successful operations soldiers who took part in the operation may be promoted in rank then become available new options and opportunities. The game has 4 classes of soldiers, -heavy infantry, support, assault, sniper and unique class - psionic - a soldier who has psionic abilities. The soldiers of different classes differently armed and have different skills. What classes to use depends on the player and his chosen tactics. Battle goes step by step: the player and the enemy take turns. During the battle each fighter can perform two actions (move / open fire / reload weapon / etc.). To win, the player has to fulfill the mission goal (to clean the area from aliens, rescue civilians or hostage). Enemy are various forms of aliens - their number, skills and capacity increases according to the game passage. To destroy alien aircraft, XCOM need to buy aircrafts, but unlike the recruits its construction takes time.
    The player has a secret base. In a bunker is a research center, engineering department, a command post, a hangar for XCOM aviation, satellite control center, barracks, etc. The player decides which conduct research, what structures build, what type of equipment use for soldiers who will took part in operation. Project XCOM financed by 16 countries. Due to aliens attack, if XCOM ignore countries request of help, country can leave project. If 8 countries leave project - player lose.
    Since the game is turn-based tactics not possible not to pay attention to the entourage of battles in XCOM. The battles with aliens take place throughout the planet and the question remains, why the location is almost indistinguishable from one another. The same cars, houses, people in Beijing, in London, in Cairo, in Lagos. This is pathetic, seems what game was created not a company with over 100 man crew, but several people who raised money on kickstarter.
    Despite some disadvantages, the game still came worthy sequel to the original game of 1993.

55. Oct 10, 2012
    XCOM veterans, this isn't just the game you used to play, but with updated graphics. It's a true reimagining of the original. But worry not, it's certainly worth your time. Especially on Classic difficulty, the game is definitely a challenge that takes me back to the agonizing moments, so full of tension, from the original. I found myself coordinating my squad's movements to work as aXCOM veterans, this isn't just the game you used to play, but with updated graphics. It's a true reimagining of the original. But worry not, it's certainly worth your time. Especially on Classic difficulty, the game is definitely a challenge that takes me back to the agonizing moments, so full of tension, from the original. I found myself coordinating my squad's movements to work as a team; carefully approaching each map in a slow and methodical fashion. The XCOM "squad" has a cohesive tactical feeling that the original was missing. Sure there was plenty of strategy in the original, but the new XCOM has a way of really making your team feel like more of a "TEAM" in a way the original didn't. The strategic layer of the game has been modified in such a way that it really serves to reduce the unnecessary elements of the original while still highlighting the importance of thinking about "the big picture" while playing. The game is so much more than just making sure you have the best squad for a given mission. It's about the long game. It's about planning for expansion down the road. It's about being prepared for the inevitable setbacks. It's about being able to think strategically as well as tactically. Nope, this isn't the original XCOM with a new coat of paint. It's a new XCOM. A modern XCOM. An XCOM that already kept me up WAY too late, and I'm sure will claim many more. This is an excellently crafted, undeniably fun strategy game. Expand
  56. Oct 10, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is solid. Period. For those of you who have been playing games for years and like various aspects of many types of games, this one will satisfy you. Turn based strategy. Check. Shooter vibe. Check. Base building. Check. Difficult decisions. Yes. Desisions matter. Umhum. Feels like you're "in the game." Absolutely. Fun and re-playable. You see where I'mXCOM: Enemy Unknown is solid. Period. For those of you who have been playing games for years and like various aspects of many types of games, this one will satisfy you. Turn based strategy. Check. Shooter vibe. Check. Base building. Check. Difficult decisions. Yes. Desisions matter. Umhum. Feels like you're "in the game." Absolutely. Fun and re-playable. You see where I'm going with this.
    Give XCOM a chance and it'll surprise you at the most unexpected moments in both great and devastating ways. These moments are always interesting though and happen in ways that never leave you feeling cheated.
    This team deserves to be supported. A little creative searching can yield a slightly cheaper result if pricing is a problem for you. I have over 40 games on Steam and XCOM is my shining star that I'm most proud of and that I'm most likely to recommend to others. It's the game I going to want to talk about months after completion and maybe fire back up again from time to time.

Firaxis,
    Congratulations and thank you for implementing your ideas for an XCOM reboot so well. I know that you know that you have a special product under your belt. Now the rest of us know it as well, and most of us agree that it's unique, fun, and relevant in today's gaming space/market.

Knocked it out of the park!
  57. Oct 9, 2012
    One of the best turn based strategy games I have ever played. Ignore the hater and trolls, they are still stuck in nostalgia limbo to even make a thorough and non-biased review. The developers decided on a smaller squad to stress the importance of tension and making your squad actually mean something. The graphics are wonderful UE3 engine works well with this type of game and I like theOne of the best turn based strategy games I have ever played. Ignore the hater and trolls, they are still stuck in nostalgia limbo to even make a thorough and non-biased review. The developers decided on a smaller squad to stress the importance of tension and making your squad actually mean something. The graphics are wonderful UE3 engine works well with this type of game and I like the art style direction. This will ensure this game will age properly. Overall, this game is a masterpiece and should be a candidate for GOTY against Dishonored. :) Expand
  58. Oct 9, 2012
    Thank you Fireaxis. You dit it. We had high expectations, and you surpassed them. XCOm is one of the best games of this generation. Shut up and take my money!
  59. Oct 18, 2012
    Minor UI and lock up issues aside, this game has taken my interest away from other fantastic games due to its unique style and gameplay that we have not seen in years. Hard not to recommend. Every night becomes a battle with "one more game."
  60. Oct 9, 2012
    This is a 10 for me. It is fun to play not tedious like the original. You can spend hours playing and actually enjoy it. It is somewhat simplified compared to the original but that is not a bad thing. Great graphics and cut scenes while playing, a lot of tech to research, money management, base management and of course awesome missions that are the meat of the game. Bottom like if you areThis is a 10 for me. It is fun to play not tedious like the original. You can spend hours playing and actually enjoy it. It is somewhat simplified compared to the original but that is not a bad thing. Great graphics and cut scenes while playing, a lot of tech to research, money management, base management and of course awesome missions that are the meat of the game. Bottom like if you are looking for a complicated and hard core strategy game than this is not it. If you are looking for a fun yet challenging strategy game this should be on your TOP list to try. Expand
  61. Oct 12, 2012
    The original X-COM updated and expanded to a level that will make you cry... If you are a fan of the original, sure this new version will satisfy all this years of waiting and bad clones...
  62. Oct 21, 2012
    As a diehard fan of the original XCom game who spent most of 1994 and 1995 locked in a room in my parent's house playing non-stop, does this game live up? Yes. Judged on it's own merits (which are significant) this game nails the feel, tension and constant uphill battle that was what made XCom the greatest game ever made. Does it live up to the original? Kinda. I can clearly see theAs a diehard fan of the original XCom game who spent most of 1994 and 1995 locked in a room in my parent's house playing non-stop, does this game live up? Yes. Judged on it's own merits (which are significant) this game nails the feel, tension and constant uphill battle that was what made XCom the greatest game ever made. Does it live up to the original? Kinda. I can clearly see the streamlining and simplification. I want to rant and rage that I want ALL of the original game in this form - but that right there is why I'm rating this game a 10. I WANT to see Fraxis port the entirety of the original game - the insane tech tree, the ticking clock daring you to make the wrong research options, the 12 to 16 squad attack, 8 base, worldwide frantic beauty of what was XCom.

But what is obvious is that the team at Fraxis loved the same game I did and brought the core of it into 2012. Maybe they are going to add the rest as DLC and pre-order bonuses for boxes of tie-in cereal or something. If so, I'm in. I'm going to finish this demo by next weekend (a game of XCom finished in two weeks? Heresy, I tell ya) and then I'm going to crank back up the original. And appreciate both versions. And giggle a little bit at people who are claiming this version is hard. Wimps.
  63. Oct 12, 2012
    Could have been slightly more compelling as an heir to the X-Com legacy, but still one of the best Xbox 360 games of all time. Lots of fun, with a few glitches here and there.
  64. Nov 12, 2012
    As a huge fan of the original game, I was very skeptical about this remake. I've never seen any that was as good as the original. At the first hours, after seeing a dumbed down combat, I really thought this game was just another crappy remake for the CoD generation. But by the first day this game already sucked me completely. Although the combat seems a little dumbed down, the classAs a huge fan of the original game, I was very skeptical about this remake. I've never seen any that was as good as the original. At the first hours, after seeing a dumbed down combat, I really thought this game was just another crappy remake for the CoD generation. But by the first day this game already sucked me completely. Although the combat seems a little dumbed down, the class implementation and the fixing of balance issues that plagued the original, make this game a very different game, but as good as the original. And looking to what they did to the base management, I can even say they accomplished to make a remake better than the original. I won't need dosbox anymore! RIP old XCOM. Expand
  65. Oct 13, 2012
    This is a commendable imagining of the XCom universe for the 21st century. It's definitely not a remake (check out the nearly ready Xenonauts for that!) but a great T.B. squad tactics/base management game. Support the makers and lose days by repelling the alien menace.
  66. Oct 17, 2012
    As a fan of the original X-Com Apocalipse game I have to say: This game just felt absolutely right! I love every aspect of it: from the modern, fast paced gameplay to the many different ways to play the game.
    Yes, the net playtime is not as long as in the original X-Com games, but the hours that I played (42.5) were filled with enough amazing moments to forgive that.
    Now there's just one
    Now there's just one question left: Where's the expansion with several bases and more development?
  67. Oct 10, 2012
    I played the original x-com UFO defense like it was the only game that existed to the point I would mod my save game files (after beating the game time after time). There was little to nothing I didn't know about that game. When I heard the designer of this remake was cut from the same cloth I could barely contain my excitement. I still worried for this game after expecting so much fromI played the original x-com UFO defense like it was the only game that existed to the point I would mod my save game files (after beating the game time after time). There was little to nothing I didn't know about that game. When I heard the designer of this remake was cut from the same cloth I could barely contain my excitement. I still worried for this game after expecting so much from Diablo 3 (and yes I was disappointed in D3). I got the game early in the morning on release, installed and played all damn day long. No regrets, not 1. The amount of soldiers feels right for this game, the maps are nice even if not 100% generated randomly, ship raids are a blast and scary! I can honestly only nitpick 2 things at this point, and that is I don't seem to have the ability to shoot wherever I want with normal guns (so if a alien is behind a wall I can't aim at the wall to destroy it so another soldier will have a clear shot at that alien), and when you learn to make something new (like armor or weapons) you don't really see the stats or how much better it actually is until it is made and ready to be equipped. This game is totally worth it, It did not disappoint me in the least. Hats off to Jake and the whole team! well done sirs! Expand
  68. Oct 15, 2012
    I have played and been a fan of the original X-Com since its release. When I saw some of the promotional material for that horrible looking FPS using the IP i was terrified. When I found out Firaxis was putting together a game true to the spirit of the original I became cautiously optimisitic. I pre-loaded and got into this installment the second it came availiable and am more then pleasedI have played and been a fan of the original X-Com since its release. When I saw some of the promotional material for that horrible looking FPS using the IP i was terrified. When I found out Firaxis was putting together a game true to the spirit of the original I became cautiously optimisitic. I pre-loaded and got into this installment the second it came availiable and am more then pleased with the product that they have put together. Well balanced and excellently craftted with the classic at heart. Additional options lend replayability as well. Expand
  69. Oct 17, 2012
    As an old-timer, I've played (and worked on) some of the clones. Ignore the naysayers, this one beats the pack by a long shot. I'm a little cut up about loss of multiple bases and inventories, but I think the overall experience is much more fluid and focused on the importance of each and every move.

The pros: no more endless searching for the last bad guy (the original and every clone has this problem); xcom soldier skilling is much more combinable, diverse and important; cover actually means reduced chance to hit, visibility is not an on/off probability; the base, research and engineering is more ingrained into the story, and is compelling - this is IMO a very un-firaxis quality that they managed to get right; lots of meaningless cruft was removed.. this isn't a weapons manufacturing simulation afterall.

The cons: isometric soldier placement controls and wall/ceiling occlusion is glitchy. I actually disagree with old-timers saying they miss random maps - I think the original did it fairly well, but sometimes it really degraded the quality of smaller missions.

It's surprising that they pulled off something as good as this, all considering, and it's a lot better than other games rated over 90.
  70. Oct 9, 2012
    Greetings from Germany! Im happy this is not an UFO Enemy Unknown with just better Graphics. Its an Game for its own. And its really fun to play. Im a huge Fan of UFO, TftD and X-com Apocalypse and this game is a worthy part 4 of those games. If you know the old Games and play this one is like you meet old friends. Siliconids and Mutons and Etherials, and so on, are on earth again! IfGreetings from Germany! Im happy this is not an UFO Enemy Unknown with just better Graphics. Its an Game for its own. And its really fun to play. Im a huge Fan of UFO, TftD and X-com Apocalypse and this game is a worthy part 4 of those games. If you know the old Games and play this one is like you meet old friends. Siliconids and Mutons and Etherials, and so on, are on earth again! If someone tells you "You cant destroy Buildings, there is no reaction Fire and there arent any different fire modes" he is flat lieing to you. Some peoples should actually play the Game first and then make a review. But thats just my opinion. Expand
  71. Oct 10, 2012
    Absolutely Stunning. A game that takes strategy, decision and luck. This game definitely improves from the old XCOM and you should buy it. This is one purchase you wont regret.
  72. Oct 10, 2012
    Great strategy game! A lot like the original in some aspects, in some others it´s different. A little too much click sounds in the interface though, still looking for a disable option. Otherwise, great solid recommendation.
  73. Oct 18, 2012
    Easily one of the best games I've ever played. If you like turn-based strategy, XCOM: EU provides a level of depth and challenge that is unparalleled in gaming today. This is reminiscent of the Atari games we used to play when I was a child, hard as hell with a simple layout over a deep tactical simulator that allows one to get as deep or stay as shallow as one wants. One thing to get overEasily one of the best games I've ever played. If you like turn-based strategy, XCOM: EU provides a level of depth and challenge that is unparalleled in gaming today. This is reminiscent of the Atari games we used to play when I was a child, hard as hell with a simple layout over a deep tactical simulator that allows one to get as deep or stay as shallow as one wants. One thing to get over early: Team members are going to die. This is a full-scale alien invasion by a species genetically and technologically superior. What did you expect? Just one token death? Save and Load if you want, hell when was the last time you actually had to use those features besides anything but logging on / off? If this makes you too sad difficulty can be changed at any time.

My favorite thing about XCOM: EU is that there is a HUGE noticeable difference in how badass your team is as you level up. What once started as four scrubs getting their asses handed to them by baby aliens with large heads and bigger guns, becomes a death squad that tears aliens to shreds on sight. That said: one wrong move on your part, one alien patrol stumbling upon your team at the wrong moment, one missed shot can be the difference between victory and utter failure. Just like real life.
  74. Oct 13, 2012
    Great fun. As an owner of the original title I was pretty happy with the outcome on the development of this game. All the features of a turn based combat game are there with a nice upgraded graphic and animation twist. Look forward to future DLC for this title. Great sound, great graphics. Good game!
  75. Oct 15, 2012
    This Game rocks !
    I'm really suprised, fine Sounds, amazing musics, a lot research-stuff.
    First of all, i love the music and the dramatic moments. If you play this game a while, you will love your squad, customize them, level them up, equip them with high tech stuff and never like to see them in the millitary hospital. There is 1 critic point for me. The missions are sometimes
    This Game rocks !
    I'm really suprised, fine Sounds, amazing musics, a lot research-stuff.

First of all, i love the music and the dramatic moments.

There is 1 critic point for me.
    The missions are sometimes the same and on time its a little bit boring.
    But thats all, the rest of the game is better what i've expected.
    This is not much critic and thats why i don't let this game under a 10 / 10 !

I hope there will be DLC or an expansion for this XCOM.
    Over all one of the best tactic games i played !
  76. Nov 13, 2012
    I played the previous XCOM games and was happy with them. This game brings back a lot of the classic feel with all new additions that make the game wonderful without the tedious feel some simulation and turn based games have.
  77. Dec 19, 2012
    Been waiting for this game for a while. A big UFO enemy unknown fan I had hopes this game would be just as enjoyable. I have only 1 playthrough so far but enjoyed it immensely. A great game indeed
  78. Wim
    Jul 2, 2013
    It is true that it there could have been a little more options but honestly this is the best game in it's genre since Jagged Alliance 2. BY FAR. It is addictive, fun, frustration free and there's plenty of options to make it challenging if you want it to be. I've been waiting for this game for so long and I'm happy I finally found some time to play it. I only put it down today to eatIt is true that it there could have been a little more options but honestly this is the best game in it's genre since Jagged Alliance 2. BY FAR. It is addictive, fun, frustration free and there's plenty of options to make it challenging if you want it to be. I've been waiting for this game for so long and I'm happy I finally found some time to play it. I only put it down today to eat it's that addictive. Expand
  79. Aug 5, 2013
    Still probably the most enjoyable time-sink in my library. Not perfect, can be a little buggy, but the fun factor completely outweighs this fact. Tonnes of replay value too and the expansions add a bunch of new maps which is a nice touch
  80. Jul 21, 2013
    Xcom is a good experience if you played the original game. The game gives a good tutorial for new players. Do not expect much from the types of aliens you will be facing, as the game retains weaker aliens through the adventure (probably to increase your rookie soldier's experience). The game does suffer from awkward shooting angles and a few graphical bugs.

I recommend playing the

I recommend playing the original Xcom for new players. If you then enjoy the original game and want to experience something similar with updated graphics, play XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
  81. Sep 12, 2013
    Where to start? Well, the opening that plays once you start a new game makes me want to paint half my face blue and stomp aliens while wearing a kilt. The games atmosphere continually reminds you that you are earth's last line of defense in her finest hour. And like many other people, I also found myself getting attached to my soldiers as they leveled, and swore payback when a luckyWhere to start? Well, the opening that plays once you start a new game makes me want to paint half my face blue and stomp aliens while wearing a kilt. The games atmosphere continually reminds you that you are earth's last line of defense in her finest hour. And like many other people, I also found myself getting attached to my soldiers as they leveled, and swore payback when a lucky shot killed a squad mate. And along those same lines, hearing my heavy weapons chick yell "ooo-rah!" when she throws a grenade is as awesome as watching it blow a hole in a building.

The story is cool, not the most mind blowing but definitely not the worst I've encountered. The main characters you interact with in your base aren't mind blowing either, aside from Central Officer Bradford. I can't really say why without spoilers, other than when he speaks I really feel like I'm listening to a military officer who is dedicated to saving the earth and at the same time preserving the lives of XCOM soldiers. Definite kudos to that voice actor.

Another pro in my book is the interesting take on turn based combat. They did to turn based combat what Skyrim did to RPG statas and skills. What I mean by that is they simplified things while not dumbing them down. There are no turn points. You can move and then take an action, or move twice in what is called a dash, or take an action without moving. And that concludes a soldiers turn. An action would be firing, reloading, activating an ability or using an item. So it's not like there still isn't tactics involved. If you don't outsmart the aliens (or just make a goofy move because you've been playing this game instead of sleeping) they will paint the local scenery with your soldier's faces. It's just that they've simplified the steps you take to direct your orchestra of alien face-splosions. And the cinematic camera that shows kill shots is sweet when you pop an alien, painful when you realize you just screwed up and lost a high ranking soldier.

The game was a bit buggy at launch, but the only time it acts weird on me now is when the level has multiple heights involved. Sometimes I have trouble selecting troops, but thankfully there is a handy next button.

I find the games normal and classic difficulties to be quite a jump, and playing classic Ironman (ironman no saving unless you exit) can be extremely frustrating. I crushed normal but I have gone through a lot of restarts on classic. I feel like part of the problem is luck. It is extremely hard to go through an entire game without getting several missions back to back, or having a couple variants of the "if we attack you we will totally one-shot your brains all over the map" aliens spawn just in front of your starting zone.

Bottom Line: This is a well made game. If you like turn based strategy and watching with glee as you use your wits to violently welcome alien face to earth ground, give this game a go. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close. I bought this on sale for $20, but I'd pay 50 or 60 for it and not feel ripped off. Also, this has been said, but if you need game sequels to be just like the first game do not buy this. There is an open source game called UFO:AI that you would probably prefer in that case.
  82. Oct 2, 2013
    Simplemente brillante. He jugado a casi todos los juegos de la serie, y no recordaba haber disfrutado tanto desde el Apocalypse. Han dado con la tecla, una maravilla en todos los sentidos.
  83. Oct 15, 2013
    This was my first foray into the Xcom genre and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. This game delivers on all levels. Overall I found the game very entertaining. I've almost 80 hours played and still holding my interest. The graphics and music are good. The missions are challenging but fair. The overall game play is great and fun. The only reason this wasn't a 10 is that I wouldThis was my first foray into the Xcom genre and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. This game delivers on all levels. Overall I found the game very entertaining. I've almost 80 hours played and still holding my interest. The graphics and music are good. The missions are challenging but fair. The overall game play is great and fun. The only reason this wasn't a 10 is that I would have liked to see some additional tactical choices available on missions and some of the skills you can purchase build off of each other but this is not apparent the first time through (because you can't see the locked skills). Expand
  84. Oct 18, 2013
    Xcom is a great game. Far from perfect. It has those cheap shots, and those 3% never going to hit it shots that really change the entire game. One shot can change everything about a campaign. For the better, or for the worse. Impossible mode is just pure evil... which is why I love playing it
  85. Jan 8, 2014
    I haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPSI haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPS games this is the game for you. Expand
  86. Jan 8, 2014
    Just finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading theirJust finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading their weapons and armor through research/capturing/killing the enemies. I found the game play on the challenging side, but I enjoy that in turn based tactical games. Expand
  87. Aug 18, 2014
    This new XCom can proudly bear it ancestor name. While it isn't the old XCom game in new dressing, it keeps the essence of the old title.

It is simpler in many aspects, like you don't have to care for munition -- making it or using it, only issue is to reload the guns in battle, but the munition supply is infinite, which has an impact on tactics, since you can shoot all the time, even when % is very low. And its fun to kill an alien with a 10% chance! Also, you don't choose the kind of equipment a soldier will use. After the first graduation each soldier will go automatically to Sniper, Assault, Support or Heavy, and from them on can only use weapons for his or her class. But this isn't a problem, its cheap to get new soldiers and you can choose which ones to take on the missions (use the Clear button on the mission rooster to change them) (Also, its good to have many soldiers and train them all. It can be important along the game).

One little point I disliked is that soldiers can hold just a weapon, a side weapon, armor and one extra item, like grenades, medikits or any other of the later developed items. It seems to me that some items, like a Scope or a Helmet, should be used besides these ones, but no, you have to give up on grenades/ medikits to have these ones.

One funny aspect is Engineering can build anything instantly (provided you have money and materials for it). Also, you can't sell equipment. All you can sell are alien items you get on battle -- and this isn't really a good idea, you will need them to build items with alien tech.

Another thing that for me doesn't look great is how hard it is to get all satellites in the air (if you loose a country, you cant recover it back later, so at first its all efforts to put satellites everywhere), and how easy is to have money after that is done. This side of the game is very intense at first but too easy after the satellites. You research all that is to research really quick, I didn't even build any Laboratory (playing on Normal), just built two Workshops to have enough Engineers to built the satellites. It would be more interesting if you could make some super special hard mission to recover a lost country later...

Because of these small points I don't give the game a 10.

On the plus side, graphics and sounds are phenomenal. Really great. Sceneries are also great, even if a little more variations would be good. On old XCom games we could end walking around the scenery looking for that last alien to kill, but this wont happen here, sceneries aren't very big (it would be great to have some variation in size, it would be more interesting), and there is an interesting hearing cue to tell you where the aliens are. Animations are also great. The way camera changes when a soldier or alien shoots is great (and sometimes when a soldier moves), adds a lot to the game.

Interface is also great. I had a little trouble to understand how to use mouse wheel (to raise/lower levels of view), but after I got it right, everything with interface was easy and fun. One little issue: at the end of a turn, we could have a button to put all the remaining soldiers on Overwatch, instead of going one by one. Also, after a mission start, you cant choose the sequence the orders are given to soldiers (when clicking the button to go from soldier to soldier, or Shift key). It could be like you manually choose the order the first time and the game could remember the sequence and repeat it instead of using its own sequence all the time. This makes we jump from a side of the scenery to the other with each soldier instead of solving movement for all that are together. This using the Shift key to change soldiers. Of course you can click on the next soldier too (the cue that you are on the correct point to click is very good, its hard to do it wrong).

After a while playing the game, you can turn on Ironman. On Ironman you can't save the game while in a mission, making things much, much harder. (Of course you can always return to a saved game before the start of that mission that went very badly, but don't do so, its cheating (: )

The tactical aspect of the game is very well thought. At first there's no difference what kind of weapon you use, but after the game progress it is essential to have the correct ones (before each mission, game tells you what kind of aliens you should find in the mission). Or, you can solve the problem without the right ones, but its much more difficult. Also the tactical positioning is essential. On missions where the UFO landed (opposed to crashed down), you can't approach it heads on, there will be a ton of aliens shooting at your soldiers at the same time. So you have to find other ways to approach... (here a bigger scenery could be more fun. But it is already very interesting the way it is!).

All in all, a very recommended game and one I will play for a long time. Already crossed the 200 hours on it!
  88. Jul 30, 2016
    My first game in the XCOM franchise and certainly hope it wont be my last. The difficulty can be harsh sometimes or maybe all the time, but that what makes the game better. All in all, a wonderful game.
  89. Oct 10, 2012
    Despite some negative reviewers who can't approach nastalgia with an open mind, this is a game of its time. It has just the right mix of the original elements while ditching those things that would frustrate in the modern era. Those who are fans of the original and those who just want to see what the fuss is about should pickup this game. Those that wanted the original with a new skinDespite some negative reviewers who can't approach nastalgia with an open mind, this is a game of its time. It has just the right mix of the original elements while ditching those things that would frustrate in the modern era. Those who are fans of the original and those who just want to see what the fuss is about should pickup this game. Those that wanted the original with a new skin might consider booting up the old version as you will find change here that is good, but requires some perspective to appreciate. Expand
  90. Oct 20, 2012
    Хочется от души поблагодарить разработчиков за то, что далиХочется от души поблагодарить разработчиков за то, что дали возможность почувствовать то самое удовольствие, которое дарил классический X-COM. Игру прошел на одном дыхании. И уже хочется засесть за нее снова. Супер! Expand
  91. Oct 16, 2012
    Gran remake del original, pocas cosas le fallan. Es el XCOM de 1993 con mejores gráficos y unas mecánicas de juego mejoradas. Las batallas tácticas son geniales y con una profundidad estratégica que cumple perfectamente. Te enganchara desde el principio y te hará estar jugando turnos hasta altas horas de la madrugada. Si tiene algo negativo tal vez sea laGran remake del original, pocas cosas le fallan. Es el XCOM de 1993 con mejores gráficos y unas mecánicas de juego mejoradas. Las batallas tácticas son geniales y con una profundidad estratégica que cumple perfectamente. Te enganchara desde el principio y te hará estar jugando turnos hasta altas horas de la madrugada. Si tiene algo negativo tal vez sea la rejugabilidad algunas misiones son iguales aunque hay 70 diferentes. Un juego de 9,9 si señor. Expand
  92. Oct 16, 2012
    A wonder of a game and a wealth of surprises for the shrewd tactician. After dozens of hours, the player is met with an abundance of unpredictability in the nearly mind-wringing array of maps and possible outcomes that lay in wait. One can only be pleasantly confounded by the assortment to which the player can indulge in their tactical and strategic obsession. Furthermore, this energeticA wonder of a game and a wealth of surprises for the shrewd tactician. After dozens of hours, the player is met with an abundance of unpredictability in the nearly mind-wringing array of maps and possible outcomes that lay in wait. One can only be pleasantly confounded by the assortment to which the player can indulge in their tactical and strategic obsession. Furthermore, this energetic assortment is wrapped neatly in a graphical package that never ceases to amaze and leave one in awe. It's a game that can leave you twisted with its unflinching difficulty but have you coming back for more in order to perfect the skill it takes to be victorious on the battlefield. Also, somewhat gleefully, it teases you with neat crescendos of ease to lull you into thinking you've got it mastered until you lay wasted, once again, at the hands of a Muton or shimmering disc of instant death. The multiplayer is impeccable and leaves one thinking that it might just be the only game that can outshine some of the first person shooters so many are playing right now. The only glaring hiccup seems to come in the form of deceptive cover. You just never feel comfortable seeing your Squaddie ripped to bits while he stands confidently behind an abandoned tank or brick wall but, even this, could simply be attributed to not adapting to the "feel" of the game. Such a refreshing break away from the usual and a must-have for anyone fond of gaming. A true classic in its guile. Expand
  93. Oct 31, 2012
    Taktik- und Aufbaugame von aller feinsten. Hier ist alles perfekt designed und top balanciert.
    Unheimlich viele intelligente Möglichkeiten das eigene Spiel zu gestalten und auszustatten. Gnadenlose KI und blutrünstige Alien-Kampfanimationen a la "Starship Trooper" sorgen für "Spannung pur". Das erste Spiel, bei dem sogar das Verlieren Vergnügen macht und als taktische Lehrstunde empfunden wird!
  94. Oct 9, 2012
    This is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences everThis is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences ever created.

While the single player has tremendous replay value, there is also a full-featured multiplayer side, which includes LAN play, unranked, and ranked matches and the ability to build your custom team with thousands of options. And yes, you read that correctly, this game has actual RANKED multiplayer, using the Elo rating system (similar to WoW, LoL, and Starcraft 2). All this means that XCOM: EU provides one of the best single player experiences along with competitive multiplayer you won't find in any other turn based strategy game on the market, period.
  95. Oct 9, 2012
    Possibly one of the best games I've ever played. Ignore Lysh or whatever his name is. Honestly this game is astounding and even though i wasn't there for the original XCOM, this game somehow manages to turn a turn-based strategy and management sim into something that is out of this world (no pun intended). The game itself is very very fun but be warned- when your soldiers die- it almostPossibly one of the best games I've ever played. Ignore Lysh or whatever his name is. Honestly this game is astounding and even though i wasn't there for the original XCOM, this game somehow manages to turn a turn-based strategy and management sim into something that is out of this world (no pun intended). The game itself is very very fun but be warned- when your soldiers die- it almost feels like part of the time you spent in the game itself died. Trying to NOT get invested is difficult. Your soldiers level up after battle experience and after each battle you'll garner resources from the aliens you've killed/ captured. With regard to the mangement system , Firaxis has managed to turn something that should have been tedious and boring into an intriguing and tactical. Placement of different Facilities inside your base actually counts towards the effectiveness of said buildings. Missions issued from the Council of Nations that funds the XCOM initiative are sporadic and almost always unique. One day you might be saving a Council member's buddy from abduction. the next you're giving laser pistols to the Chinese Army to get more engineers into the XCOM initiative. You, the player truly are the Commander of the XCOM project, from researching new weapons to fight the aliens, managing missions and your base, to actually controlling your troops on the ground and interceptor jets in the skies. This game truly has limitless potential, especially if Firaxis will later release the ability to mod the game. The inclusion of Multiplayer with the ability to play as the Alien Menace is also very fun and very cool. Definitely one of the best games I've seen this year. :) Expand
  96. Oct 9, 2012
    Let me just start this review of by saying: This game is fantastic... It is, however, not 1993 XCOM with updated graphics. If that's what you wanted, don't buy this game and please don't bother us by giving 0 point reviews here.

As I said, this game is different from UFO: EU(X-com: UFO Defence in america) it is however not worse or dumbed down. They may have simplified the tactical combat, but simplifying is not the same as dumbing down. Dumbing down is making the game easier and losing strategic depth in the process, simpifying is making a game easier to understand while trying to maintain or improve strategical depth.

And XCOM: EU does the latter. The strategic base management is probably even more complicated than it was in the original and the tactical combat is, while streamlined and symplified, just as deep or even deeper than the original game.
    It now involves units working together instead of having 14 nearly identical soldiers just scouting if every direction. Ammo is now more important unlike what many 1993 fanboys are saying. Guns still need reloading you just don't need to equip your soldiers with ammo anymore. And most of all there's the completely new cover system. Now, when you move your soldiers, you actually need to think about flanking aliens, because shooting aliens in full cover isn't going to kill them. I've come across a situation where my assault soldier tried to flank an alien but revealed another alien in the process which left him exposed. I then moved my support soldier in to throw a smoke grenade to protect my assault and used my heavy to suppress the flanking alien to avoid him shooting at my assault... Tactical situations like that would almost never occur in the original X-com so i completely disagree wit people who say this game is dumbed down.

The things that were simplified are mainly things like Time Units and i think the new system is actually better. It might kill the nostalgia a bit but this system is faster, easier and makes every decision more important and rewarding.

So, to come to a conclusion: I think this game is absolutely brilliant! I normally wouldn't give a 10 to a game. But I'm sorta doing this to cancel out the zeros that were given. Because even if you preferred the old X-com, it's ridiculous to say this game is worth a 0...
  97. Oct 9, 2012
    A striking, fresh and faithful reboot of a classic game- made immersive and engrossing with elegant design, appealing graphics, and non-wonky interface. XCOM challenges you to do it all: make tough tactical choices with your squad, and strategic ones with panicky nations around the world. There's nothing like that primal scream you let out when your hand-picked assault element getsA striking, fresh and faithful reboot of a classic game- made immersive and engrossing with elegant design, appealing graphics, and non-wonky interface. XCOM challenges you to do it all: make tough tactical choices with your squad, and strategic ones with panicky nations around the world. There's nothing like that primal scream you let out when your hand-picked assault element gets vaporized, or when your rooftop sniper picks off a Sectoid Commander like a bolt out of the blue. Sure, there are weaker elements, like the air intercepts, limited maps, or simple dig'n'build antfarm base, but they're ourweighed by the appeal and challenge of This fun, well-built game. Expand
  98. Oct 9, 2012
    A brilliant and ambitious re-imagining of the original X-COM games. Not 1:1, and many of the features have been streamlined, changed, or removed, but it still captures the same fundamental feeling of terror, and each round of the game's turn-based tactical combat is a knuckle-biting affair. Absolutely a contender for GOTY 2012.
  99. Oct 10, 2012
    Fans of the original X-Com will love this revival of the turn based strategy they used to play. I spent the last week playing the original X-Com to see if all the things I loved and hated from the original were still there. Not all of them were but that isn't a bad thing. The game can and will treat you in the most brutal fashion possible if you make poor choices. For those of us thatFans of the original X-Com will love this revival of the turn based strategy they used to play. I spent the last week playing the original X-Com to see if all the things I loved and hated from the original were still there. Not all of them were but that isn't a bad thing. The game can and will treat you in the most brutal fashion possible if you make poor choices. For those of us that played X-Com on Super Human back in the day this is a great reminder of the level of foresight needed to keep ahead of the alien menace. Play has been streamlined and the range of options has been reduce. The clunky inventory management has been removed. Your soldiers take only what they need. While I can appreciate this minor re-visioning I think the option to scrounge from the battlefield mid combat was part of what made the original X-Com great. The software its self is flawless. 16 hours in and not a single bug encountered. No glitches, hitches, or any such frustrations which plague current day pc gaming. In all this game stands an excellent chance at revitalizing the turn based strategy Genre and I hop the franchise lives on in this format for years to come. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.