8.2

1. Dec 16, 2013
    I really enjoyed XCOM. The gameplay is fun and addicting and you always have the option to load a previous save if you troops start dying and you are afraid of losing someone important or losing the mission. I did find that the equipping soldier loadout aspect of the game quite annoying however. I really wish the developers had integrated a button or function that would remove all specialI really enjoyed XCOM. The gameplay is fun and addicting and you always have the option to load a previous save if you troops start dying and you are afraid of losing someone important or losing the mission. I did find that the equipping soldier loadout aspect of the game quite annoying however. I really wish the developers had integrated a button or function that would remove all special armor and weapons from the soliders rather than have me spend 15 minutes looking through every soldier to find my 6th ghost armour for the squad. Expand
  2. Jan 8, 2016
    Having played the original UFO, this is like a remake but with much better graphics and gameplay. In my view, this is the best game I have ever played. Really enjoyed the turn-based battle and management aspects of your base.
  3. Dec 22, 2012
    Dumbed down from the original? Maybe. Deeper and more thoughtful than most games of the market? DEFINETELY... Any player who enjoys games where thinking is involved has to love this little gem. It's not a remake, more of a re-imagining. A wonderful turn based game where every choice matters. A great showcase of what good turn based gameplay can be. ARE YOU LISTENING RPG GAME MAKERS? MoreDumbed down from the original? Maybe. Deeper and more thoughtful than most games of the market? DEFINETELY... Any player who enjoys games where thinking is involved has to love this little gem. It's not a remake, more of a re-imagining. A wonderful turn based game where every choice matters. A great showcase of what good turn based gameplay can be. ARE YOU LISTENING RPG GAME MAKERS? More fun than I had with any game this year... Expand
  4. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. microprose´s x-com is beside MOO2 one of my all-time favorites.
    with little missing (base invasions, possibility to pick up enemy weapons, backpacks, ammo) this classic in modern clothes is the best game i bought lately. all kudos to the developers.

ps. bring back base attacks..
  5. Nov 9, 2014
    Review of the "Elite Edition" (MacOSX)
    Turn-based strategy games are something of an outcast class in the present game developing environment. No publisher seems keen on investing in these. Firaxis, with their well known pedigree of impecable and all-consuming strategical games, changed the "Outcast" part for "Outclass" in this wonderful modernization of the future (of a past game).
    THE
    Review of the "Elite Edition" (MacOSX)
    THE GOODNESS GALORE
    They managed 3 things I think vital: There is no need to be a fan or have played XCOM to like this game; if you are an XCOM fan you will recognize and understand the changes made to this game; and they adapted TBS to be a heart-thumping bonanza of action kickasserie! (without sacrificing any of the methodical rhythm needed and cherished by fans of the genre, such as myself).
    All-around graphics are of a very high calibre. Detailed environments and creature models bring the world to life, ample customization make your troops feel unique in a way even more profound I have found on some (pseudo) RPG games, a well set tone and story development more than submerge you totally integrate you with the plight of a world facing a patently undefeatable enemy, unless you organize your meager initial resources (men and women, tech, money and time) to mount the best counterattack Earth are capable of, and give humanity at least a fighting chance.
    The game has been streamlined in the right places, such as merging facilities, limiting the size of your team to a 6-man squad more than the sometimes unwhieldy 20-unit troops, but vital aspects such as difficulty, strategy requirements and complex interactions between your resources are still gratifyingly intricate.
    Replayability is enormous, with 4 different levels of difficulty and the discenrning-masochist prefered choice: Iron Man. Which means you have nothing but the game's AutoSave to finish the campaign, therefore every choice you take is uncheangeable, so the stakes get so high they're airplane hazards.
    Best thing about the Mac version? The game is a stand-alone unit, so no need for any Steam nonsense (although you will get all the usual iTunes or AppShop foolishness if you buy the app or iOS version.)
    The game is fortunatelly very stable, so don't worry too much about crashes or glitches since there are only a few, but, as with any game, it's not free of issues...
    THE NAUGHTY BITS
    The environments will get "samey" on further playthroughs since maps will be re-used. There are no attacks on the XCOM base, which would have given Enemy Unknown such a thrilling level of added desperation to your already fragile situation. Some clipping will take place generating cheap deads on your team (or on aliens too for that matter, devaluing your efforts a bit) when they get detected, thus shot, through roofs or sturdy walls, which is not a big deal on most cases except on "Iron Man" where you depend so highly on not screwing up. The aircombat is primitive and uninvolving, and would've benefited the experience (and maybe the story) if it included more than basically just wishing your pilots well by clicking one button at a certain moment.
    CONCLUSION
    But these grievances have no real impact on wheather you should buy or not this game. You MUST. Earth and the TBS market demands it that you do... to give them a chance to survive.
  6. Oct 12, 2012
    One of the best strategy games I have played in the last few years. It's fun, addicting, and your choices have real consequences. Soldier deaths are permanent and wow is the game hard when you ratchet up the difficulty. Fireaxis made a brilliant game and I can't wait for further installments.
  7. Feb 16, 2013
    A relaunch of a classic turn based strategy title, XCOM: Enemy unknown is a triumph of gaming for 2012. The game set out to reinvent the TBS (Turn Based Strategy) game market after years of development. I for one feel that it has done this with real fineness. XCOM EU, demonstrates the wonderfully high resourcefulness of the Unreal3 Engine, with great visuals and solid gameplay mechanics.A relaunch of a classic turn based strategy title, XCOM: Enemy unknown is a triumph of gaming for 2012. The game set out to reinvent the TBS (Turn Based Strategy) game market after years of development. I for one feel that it has done this with real fineness. XCOM EU, demonstrates the wonderfully high resourcefulness of the Unreal3 Engine, with great visuals and solid gameplay mechanics.

For the first time in a perhaps many years, I felt compelled to tread lightly with my soldiers for if I make a stupid mistake, then they die and they are gone, no do overs, just gone. This was something I was apprehensive of at first, but found that it would brilliantly in TSB games. Building the base is something that also must be thought out carefully to take full advantage of the technologies you will use to combat an unknown enemy force.

I will tell you know that the enemy's *spoiler alert* are aliens from another planet, so I don't know if the title works, but this is one of the few quips I have with the game. That, and the fact that you only have one base on one continent is a drawback to micro-managers such as myself. The AI can be brutal on the normal difficulty which makes me pensive before any high threat level mission. However over time I learnt to attempt flanking the enemy rather than running and gunning. Upgrading your base and soldiers is essential for survival beyond the first few hours of gameplay.

I honestly enjoyed this game so much that I give it 8/10. The only draw backs are the lack of variety in missions and no ability to have multiple bases on other continents around the world. Excellent game all round.
  8. Jul 24, 2013
    I played the original XCOMs and I am certainly happy with this remake. It's probably not as good or deep or engaging as the original ones, but it's engaging and upgraded visuals using Unreal engine give it an atmospheric plus. This probably isn't going to be remembered as the original series (just like XCOM 3 is gone in everyone's memories) but if you're a XCOM fan, like turn-basedI played the original XCOMs and I am certainly happy with this remake. It's probably not as good or deep or engaging as the original ones, but it's engaging and upgraded visuals using Unreal engine give it an atmospheric plus. This probably isn't going to be remembered as the original series (just like XCOM 3 is gone in everyone's memories) but if you're a XCOM fan, like turn-based strategy games and like tactical games, you MUST play this game. Expand
  9. Oct 9, 2012
    Oh my god it's full of stars. Yes, it's not a total 100% remake of the original X-Com / UFO but you know what? Maybe that's a good thing. UFO was awesome, but you can always go play it in DOSBOX and it'll still be great. It's not like somebody killed X-Com; that's just silly, and people that are saying that need to think about how silly they sound saying it. This way you get a game thatOh my god it's full of stars. Yes, it's not a total 100% remake of the original X-Com / UFO but you know what? Maybe that's a good thing. UFO was awesome, but you can always go play it in DOSBOX and it'll still be great. It's not like somebody killed X-Com; that's just silly, and people that are saying that need to think about how silly they sound saying it. This way you get a game that evokes the awesomeness of the X-Com games of the past, but brings in new elements to re-imagine it. Let your nostalgia go free and enjoy something new and awesome. I found the tutorial a little confusing (does it have an end?) but I'm loving this game. I heard somebody say that it's basically like crack and I highly agree. It's so hard to stop playing it. Expand
  10. May 3, 2013
    Played this game all the way to the end. I enjoy strategy games such as Civ, Total War, old school C&C, AoE, Starcraft I&II, Warcraft III, etc. I haven't played the old xcom, but I can say that I had lts of fun playing this one. You'll get your money's worth definitely.
  11. Mar 27, 2017
    Coming back to this game after playing the second one, it is a tighter experience overall and does not need mods to give it a feel of pressure like in XCOM 2.
  12. Nov 12, 2014
    This is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences everThis is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences ever created.

But i dont like that they dont support mods very well and force you to play the game their way
  13. Oct 28, 2014
    Fantastic game, good combat system. good successor to the 1993 title (which in my opinion is a 10), even with his small flaws, totally worth playing!!!
  14. Jun 22, 2016
    Long content, all customizable, multiple situations to explore and really well done. Cant raech 10 because it gets a bit repetitive after the hours. Go ahead g2a and try is 5 euros or download the demo
  15. May 22, 2016
    Just finished. Although must admit It took a while for me. Maybe because I didn't follow what I was supposed to do. Heck I build a foundry and uncovered a whole bunch of upgrades and units I could make only towards the end of the game. By then my soldiers were beefed up so I managed. Gotta give it credit because it was kind of addictive. Great ending too.
  16. Oct 9, 2012
    This is simply one of the best strategy games I own! So much fun in such a great package. Losing a soldier or failing a mission is all a part of the gameplay and is implemented even from the first mission. The customization of your soldiers brings losses to a whole other level as well. I love this game and will be playing it for a long time to come!
  17. Oct 12, 2012
    Great game! Fun and scary like the first, for everything it lost for the console tards it gained some features or something that is improved on the first game. A must buy if you like TBS or XCOM. Now we don't see just one X-com, we see X-COM and XCOM in the IP :D (buy it on PC) Mods will put the stuff back in one day!
  18. Dec 25, 2012
    The reibirth of tripple A turn- and squad-based strategy titles came up to my expectations in most points. The attempt to make PC/Console hybrid out of this title, defined all of its few flaws. This should have been a PC-Only reincarnation. Complexity of inventory and research is way too low, due to the attempt to make a console game out of this title. Still recommended to all strategyThe reibirth of tripple A turn- and squad-based strategy titles came up to my expectations in most points. The attempt to make PC/Console hybrid out of this title, defined all of its few flaws. This should have been a PC-Only reincarnation. Complexity of inventory and research is way too low, due to the attempt to make a console game out of this title. Still recommended to all strategy fans and a must for every turn-based strategy admirer. Expand
  19. Jun 18, 2014
    Loved the game. Just had to write a review to say i gave it a 10 because 2 many ppl give it 0 cus they have no clue about anything. For real its 9 in my eyes. Go play!
  20. Oct 17, 2013
    I liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the gameI liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the game over-emphasises a slow defensive approach this makes battles take far longer as you tediously move each squad member forward between alien encounters. It's not a massive problem for most of the game, but then you get to the final the story missions, one of which is basically a long, long corridor. It's just tedious moving your guys forwards. In the end, I just got sick of moving guys around arbitrarily and packed it in. Still had a fun 20 hrs with the game, which is pretty huge given I'm not a strategy fan. Expand
  21. Feb 6, 2013
    Starts a bit slow, but as your investment in your soldiers increase, and when you climb the learning curve, things start to get very interesting. The highlight of my experience as a hardcore strategy fan was playing through the game on classic ironman. Tons of brilliant stuff in this game, would love some DLC for replayability!
  22. Oct 13, 2012
    Let me just start out by saying this game had me hooked. I lost track of time, and before I knew it, 6 hours had passed, and I was starving. This game was incredibly addictive and fun. The sense of urgency was there, along with the frantic drive to decide which research project will save more of your troops, and a new dependency on choosing which countries to help, and which ones you haveLet me just start out by saying this game had me hooked. I lost track of time, and before I knew it, 6 hours had passed, and I was starving. This game was incredibly addictive and fun. The sense of urgency was there, along with the frantic drive to decide which research project will save more of your troops, and a new dependency on choosing which countries to help, and which ones you have to let go. I loved the dependence on tactical positioning, with cover and height advantages, to get the most out of your troops, and the leveling system of the squad was excellent. Singleplayer is excellent.

Now for what I didn't like as much. Multiplayer was weak at best. A fun distraction, but don't count on it being worth the purchase price. Singleplayer does have flaws as well. Not to get into spoiler territory, but I thought they could have done more work on the ending (more on the cinematic part/wrapping it up, as it ends rather abruptly IMO. Also, the enemies could have been more dynamic on the map. While they revealed themselves a good number of times, and that ruined my day on multiple occasions (when I was already fighting 2 cyberdisks, a pack of crysallids shows up), or I revealed a group of aliens while outflanking the group I was fighting, most of the time, it was a game of cat and mouse, with me being the cat. Not to say this wasn't like the original, but I just expected the aliens to be more dynamic, given the 18 year gap. This could be in part due to the small squad sizes, which, at the beginning is prohibitive, but by the time you have 6 colonels with plasma, 6 is all you really need.

Compared to the original, this game weeds out a lot of the tediousness of the first, while maintaining the strategic pleasure of the first. The only thing I would add would be the ability to pick up the equipment of your fallen soldiers, as I found it annoying when my soldier carrying the item I needed kicked the bucket, leaving me without it. Multiple bases in the original were mainly to expand your interceptor coverage, as my main base could have housed all the necessary buildings for building and researching what I needed (along with psionics and all that jazz). Considering that, limited to one base with interceptor bases wasn't a bad thing IMO. The exclusion of time units similarly was not a problem, as the 2 action system actually makes your individual actions far more important. In the original, you could go into a room, see it's full of enemies, take a shot, and then run back out again. Also, stopping your unit when you saw an enemy was a crutch. The new game succeeds it's predecessor in that regard, by making each action a crucial choice.

Overall, this game exceeds the original, which is to be expected of a game that comes out 18 years later. Multiplayer is fun, but not a reason to buy the game. Picking up dead soldiers equipment should certainly be added, but it was not a game breaker. More dynamic enemies would be appreciated, rather than knowing you're going to stumble upon enemies in this area, with little deviation (there was times they took me by surprise, but not many).
  23. Oct 25, 2014
    Turn based squad strategy at it's finest. The only complaint is that the story is a little week. Other than that, there's enjoyable progression, challenge for any level of familiarity, and huge replay-ability.
  24. May 1, 2014
    Turn based strategy at its finest with a variety of gameplay options. Play it on ironman where every decision matters. Nothing beats the moment when your favorite Sniper (named after yourself, of course) is down to one health bar, low on ammo, Thin Men dropping in from everywhere, and your Support Class Girl sits on the other end of the map. Be sure to get the excellent Enemy Within as well.
  25. May 1, 2015
    I`ve never spend more hours on a game then xcom on my steam library. This game with the long war mod makes for the best game i have ever played. It is unforgiving and at the same time really enjoyable. I love turn based games and this one is one of the best.

Reviewers who give this game lower then a 7 should spend some more time with it. Or it might just not be for you. I would suggest playing a game that is less demanding and more forgiving.
  26. Oct 28, 2012
    I played the original series with religious fervor when I was a kid. This game, while slightly different definitely hits the spot. I was very worried this game was going to be dumbed down and not as challenging as the original given the pattern of a lot of video games recently released for the masses. The bottom line is that there is some complexity that was in the original but isn't inI played the original series with religious fervor when I was a kid. This game, while slightly different definitely hits the spot. I was very worried this game was going to be dumbed down and not as challenging as the original given the pattern of a lot of video games recently released for the masses. The bottom line is that there is some complexity that was in the original but isn't in this but I've actually found that it just streamlines the game without really reducing the difficulty and the level of thought that needs to go into winning. If you are a fan of the original this is a MUST BUY. If you have played civilization and enjoy that game but aren't familiar with this series, this is a MUST BUY. I am playing on normal-ironman for my first play through. This means I basically have no saves. If I lose a guy he is gone, there is no going back and replaying the mission. Playing the game this way makes it incredibly intense. I can't wait for the DLCs!!!! Expand
  27. Oct 9, 2012
    Great game, great atmosphere, and overall an exciting strategy game with a little action mixed in. This is not a remake of the original, it is its own entity. XCOM from 1993 was more of a Hide and Seek game, the new XCOM retains some of those elements, but there is a far greater emphasis on strategy. I am glad they decided to make this game, limited "hand holding" and more "oops IGreat game, great atmosphere, and overall an exciting strategy game with a little action mixed in. This is not a remake of the original, it is its own entity. XCOM from 1993 was more of a Hide and Seek game, the new XCOM retains some of those elements, but there is a far greater emphasis on strategy. I am glad they decided to make this game, limited "hand holding" and more "oops I clearly made a bad decision, which is why I lost". Yes, you can actually lose in this game, not only soldiers, you can actually fail to save Earth. Tips: Name soldiers after people you know, adds more significance to when they die, and they will die. Expand
  28. Oct 14, 2012
    Before sharing my two coppers, I took some significant time to read through both good and not so good comments by the respected fellow gamers. And the truth is I agree with both points of view. You will notice either near-10 and near-0 scores, which is absolutely normal. For the guys expected to play the Xcom of the past with newly made graphics, I confirm this is not the case. For thoseBefore sharing my two coppers, I took some significant time to read through both good and not so good comments by the respected fellow gamers. And the truth is I agree with both points of view. You will notice either near-10 and near-0 scores, which is absolutely normal. For the guys expected to play the Xcom of the past with newly made graphics, I confirm this is not the case. For those judging the game as an effort to "translate" the concept with today's means and way the gamer has evolved (with all the pros and cons that this involves), I agree with your high scores.

To make a long story, short this is Xcom, with upgraded graphics and gameplay that (unfortunately) is not encountered today. Only the fact that a game focused on turn-based, non-10 year old-maniac-clicking way of playing deserves respect and should be supported if we want to see similar efforts in the future. This game is a proof that you can get gaming-satisfaction for using your head instead of your reflexes (and believe me, after 25 years of gaming, your reflexes are significantly reduced!), so a solid BRAVO with the relevant score by yours truly ;-)
  29. Nov 1, 2012
    This game is not a simple remake, it's a modernization of the old X-COM. And the result is amazing. Intense strategic battles, a lot of cursing when good men die, and a lot of fun. I recommend this game to any strategy fan.
  30. Dec 2, 2015
    It has been a great many years since I have been so compelled and drawn in to an IP as deeply as I have been with XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

A re-imagining of the classic if infamously counter-intuitive XCOM series, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a highly interactive, highly immersive and surprisingly replayable game with hundreds of hours of gameplay to be had. The story is interesting and

The story is interesting and well-told enough for you to really be drawn in without becoming overbearing or cripplingly long-winded or cryptic.

Perhaps one of the strangest things about this game though is how strongly you as a player become attached to your troops. Even to the most unimaginative of folks, players can't help but form little backstories and personalities to their characters and care about them as a Commander most likely would.

The expansion pack also adds a significant amount of content, both in terms of story and in terms of new units and upgrades.

All in all, this game has done a great job of reviving the dying genre of turn-based strategy and has quickly become not only my favourite game of 2012 but one of my favourite games of all time.

If you've been curious about the upcoming sequel and wonder if the first game is worth giving a go, I would wholeheartedly shout YES!

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.