8.2

1. Oct 17, 2013
    I am not a turn-base game player, but this one caught my eye. It was on sale at steam for around 10.00 USD. I jumped on it. I can't put it down. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because I play on easy mode since I am not to familiar with TBS games, but as it turns out, the game becomes difficult, very difficult.
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at the level I am at.
    Warning: Do not name your soldiers with Family names. You will end up restarting and becoming sad when they die. LOL
    Great game. If it ever goes on sale at Steam again, grab it. Don't pass this one up
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is fun, but don't expect a true XCOM remake. If you are searching for an worthy remake take a look at xenonauts. The strategic possibilities were reduced to make the gameplay faster and more action based. For me the action based combat is working great and results in an satisfying gameplay experience. I would love to see an addon that brings back some of the options that theThe game is fun, but don't expect a true XCOM remake. If you are searching for an worthy remake take a look at xenonauts. The strategic possibilities were reduced to make the gameplay faster and more action based. For me the action based combat is working great and results in an satisfying gameplay experience. I would love to see an addon that brings back some of the options that the original game had. Like: multiple bases, base defense, picking up and using items during combat, different landscapes (desert, tundra, city, farm, ...), non-linear random levels and more items to research and produce. What annoyed me a little were the alien AI. The aliens start acting when you see them, they don't start moving before that.

In overall the game is fun to play and good for everyone who thought that the rounds in the original game were taking too long.
  3. Aug 1, 2014
    Utterly immersing and satisfying. If you like first person shooters as well as turn based grand strategy games (think total war series) then this merges the two in a perfect way. As a newbe to the xcom series, I have been left very impressed.
  4. Oct 19, 2012
    I never played the original xcom. But the only thing I can say is that its been VERY long time since Ive enjoyed a game so much!! I cant stop playing, is freaking amazing! Just as a was looking for a turn based game, this came up!! Worth the money!
  5. Oct 24, 2012
    Didn't played the original version but love this one. Although they were some issues I believe with just a little bit of effort it would have been a 10, but being less expensive than other game when it came out, it raise from a 8 to a 9. As you may have read from other reviews, yes there is some solid clash in the animation, point of views are sometimes off and the maps are based with theDidn't played the original version but love this one. Although they were some issues I believe with just a little bit of effort it would have been a 10, but being less expensive than other game when it came out, it raise from a 8 to a 9. As you may have read from other reviews, yes there is some solid clash in the animation, point of views are sometimes off and the maps are based with the same features. Visiting Tokyo, Calgary, Seattle, ... all looks the same. I just finished the game and it took me a good 30hours. Gameplay can be challenging, but like all other Turn by Turn game, it's quite addictive. Spinning the time and hoping that your soldier will recover or that you'll get the tech before another invasion is detected is stressfull. Expand
  6. Oct 11, 2012
    XCOM: EU is a thoroughly enjoyable sequel to the franchise, with a good balance of missions, technology, suspense, and gut wrenching decisions as you are forced to prioritize your way to victory. The graphics and engine work flawlessly together with only a few minor graphical glitches. The suspense and feelings of loss when you make a bad decision or joy at pulling off a flawlesslyXCOM: EU is a thoroughly enjoyable sequel to the franchise, with a good balance of missions, technology, suspense, and gut wrenching decisions as you are forced to prioritize your way to victory. The graphics and engine work flawlessly together with only a few minor graphical glitches. The suspense and feelings of loss when you make a bad decision or joy at pulling off a flawlessly executed strategy encourages you to push deeper and deeper into the game to fully explore it's plot. Normal difficulty seems properly tuned for players new to XCOM, Classic is definitely a challenge right in line with previous games and the Ironman feature of a single autosave makes it even more daunting.

In 30 hours I've only encountered one AI glitch where the turn would not end a quick save game reload fixed. There are only two minor complaints. The lack of a "tech tree" where you can see how far along a research path you are, something previous game iterations lacked but a useful addition if you lose track what was coming next. The second, squaddie role assignments are random, forcing you early on to mix up new teams to ensure you have two-three of each role instead of being able to pick.

TFTD was one of my favorite games when I started PC gaming in the 90's and X:EU does NOT disappoint in this regard. A modern, playable re-imaging of XCOM that comes highly recommended.
  7. Nov 9, 2012
    The graphics is gorgeous, sound is terrifiic, and great action sequences. It seems a bit hard, but maybe its just the permadeath! haha! IT would be a perfect game except the AI is kinda pathetic.
  8. Dec 31, 2012
    I'm not one for giving big wraps on a game, but XCOM:EU is really deserving of high praise. Graphics great, emersiveness great, strategy great, very clever AI, and just A+ fun for the armchair general.
  9. May 19, 2015
    As a fan of the xcom games I was a bit scared, when I read that the game should become "more accessible" to a larger audience. But what a great job the developers did!!! Still has a lot of depth and is a lot of fun to play. One of the best turn-based-strategy games I know.
    But after playing this game twice, unfortunately there is not much replayabillity
  10. Oct 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First and foremost, I have to say that all around, this is a pretty solid game. Visually, it is stunning, as the makers have owned up to their claims by seamlessly combining the game play with a cinematic twinge. The actual game play on missions themselves is pretty straightforward, with quite a bit of room for custom play styles; whether you're more of a massive armor, heavy guns, run and gun style player or a sleek, stealthy tactician, either way works. The ability to completely customize your soldiers is a nice function as well. From their skills, right down to their names and how they look, it helps add some more investment for the player. Top it off with being able to completely customize each soldier's gear, and it's like Christmas every time you get something new! Being able to build your base however way you'd like is another nice touch. Maybe more research, more engineering, or however you wish to lead your group. Couple that with having to balance keeping the world powers happy and not letting them drop off the radar, literally and figuratively, helps break up the game play throughout the experience. With all that being said, the game still left me with a more-ish taste. It had a lot of different options, but never quite enough of any single one. Like the old proverb which really seems to encompass the game, "Jack of all trades, master of none". Early on it is exciting, but quickly you find yourself seeing the extent of what you can do. There may be umpteen different items to research, but only one style of each. It just felt like there could have been more customization, more research, more expansion, much more mission variety, and so forth. Still, regardless, as I said before, it is still a pretty solid game. To be completely honest, I would have been way more pleased to pay $30, maybe $40, for the game as I believe that is what it's worth. Still though, I don't regret it at all and if you're a fan of strategy games (maybe not a diehard XCOM fan), this is still well worth it, especially if you get it on sale or at a lower price! Expand
  11. Oct 10, 2012
    I played the original X-Com UFO Defense, and Terror from the Deep. Firaxis has done a superb job in providing a game that is quite simply....just X-Com, there has been some polish in certain areas of the game of course and its moved up and met modern graphical and rendering standards but as someone that was a diehard fan of the originals as I play through the new one, I can't really seeI played the original X-Com UFO Defense, and Terror from the Deep. Firaxis has done a superb job in providing a game that is quite simply....just X-Com, there has been some polish in certain areas of the game of course and its moved up and met modern graphical and rendering standards but as someone that was a diehard fan of the originals as I play through the new one, I can't really see anything that stands out to me as a dire violation of the original games premise. Some might quibble about the lack of randomly generated encounter maps, but there seem to be plenty non-RNG ones that should keep people busy. Overall there is nothing about this game that is abusing my sensibilities as a fan of the original games, they didn't miss a hitch, anything they expanded on, or removed, from the original, is barely noticeable and has no impact whatsoever on the experience being just plain and simple XCOM for the current generation. Firaxis has done the one thing many "remake" developers have not been able to achieve, they've produced the exact same product I loved 20 or so years ago, they just made it prettier, more interactive and more exciting to play. All I can say is that the one reviewer that gave this game a 70 but said it was a great game and you should buy it is the ONLY reason this game's Metacritic rating didn't breach the 90 mark. If Firaxis releases an SDK, and considers some strong DLC offerings, I'll be quite happy to snap up both. Well done Firaxis, thanks for not screwing it up! Expand
  12. Oct 15, 2012
    A great attempt by Firaxis to modernize the X-COM franchise. While there are some bugs, i have not encountered any game-breaking bugs yet after 20+ hrs of playing. Game has being simplified from the original XCOM UFO Defense but in my opinion its still pretty fun. From conducting risky flanking maneuvers against powerful aliens behind cover, to breaching rooms not knowing what is behindA great attempt by Firaxis to modernize the X-COM franchise. While there are some bugs, i have not encountered any game-breaking bugs yet after 20+ hrs of playing. Game has being simplified from the original XCOM UFO Defense but in my opinion its still pretty fun. From conducting risky flanking maneuvers against powerful aliens behind cover, to breaching rooms not knowing what is behind the door, the tactical gameplay is very enjoyable. On the strategic level, the game challenges you to juggle your limited resources but the main thing i dislike is how fast the panic levels of the countries can fill up, forcing most players to rush for uplinks and satellite coverage early in the game (satellite coverage will prevent abduction missions from popping up in that country, which is important for controlling panic) I like the good graphics and ambient effects but dislike the limited no. of maps (although they are mostly quite well designed) This game's combat music is nothing short of amazing, and the aliens sound effects/audio prompts does a good job at keeping you in suspense on whats behind the next corner. Overall i think this game is worth the money and everyone who is interested in tactical games should give it a go.

For those who slam the game because it is not XCOM UFO Defence with updated graphics, please be mature and rate this game by its own merits and faults and not because it isn't what you want it to be.
  13. Oct 18, 2012
    Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it'sPlaying XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it's all over, you begin to wonder why you ever lost touch all these years to begin with. 9.5/10 -- Solid execution, atmosphere, mechanics, and enough twists that this title isn't just a retread, it stands on its own two feet. Expand
  14. Oct 15, 2012
    The gameplay of the new XCOM easily justifies a 10, more than a 10 in my book. Unfortunately, the superlative gameplay is the only thing keeping me from bumping my review down to a 6 or 7. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm loving the game, but I've experienced numerous issues, many of which have made my missions more difficult than they should have been. I really hope they doThe gameplay of the new XCOM easily justifies a 10, more than a 10 in my book. Unfortunately, the superlative gameplay is the only thing keeping me from bumping my review down to a 6 or 7. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm loving the game, but I've experienced numerous issues, many of which have made my missions more difficult than they should have been. I really hope they do a post-release patch in the near future, and I can upgrade the game to one of my all-time favorites. Expand
  15. Oct 18, 2012
    Despite some minor issues like the consolized interface, XCOM Enemy Unknown is a worthy successor to the original XCOM game and one of the best strategy games I have played in a long time.
  16. Oct 12, 2012
    The Good: Solid strategy and tactics game. Recreates the important elements of the original with the strategy and tactical layers working together, in addition to RPG elements. XCOM presents gameplay that has both depth and breadth.

The Bad: One of the worst hand holding tutorials I have ever seen in a game. The 'tutorial' seems to last for ever, hours, and should probably more aptly be called 'Story Mode.'

The Ugly: In an attempt to make the game look slick, and appeal to a wider audience, they employ many camera tricks to make the game look more action based and cinematic. While the concept is solid the execution was poor. Many times the camera is pointing at nothing interesting and the characters clip into walls and set pieces. Good idea, bad implementation.

Overall: Love it.
  17. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is simply awesome!
    As a fan of original series, I was a bit frightened when I first heard about remake of very classic of this genre. On the other hand, Firaxis proved couple times with Civilization franchise they know how to make turn-based strategy game fun, and they didn't fail.
    This game is simply awesome!
    Although this game has some weaker points (like low variety of missions, no HQ defending missions etc. etc.), this is how remake of cult game should look!
    I am looking forward to another sequels of this franchise by Firaxis.
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    I truly get a kick out of all the old-school X-COM snobs blasting this game for not being more true to the original. Its not supposed to be the original. There are certainly problems with the game. Sure, you don't get to use nearly as many troops in a mission as the original, and depending on the difficulty you choose, it's not nearly as hard. I found myself wondering why I couldn'tI truly get a kick out of all the old-school X-COM snobs blasting this game for not being more true to the original. Its not supposed to be the original. There are certainly problems with the game. Sure, you don't get to use nearly as many troops in a mission as the original, and depending on the difficulty you choose, it's not nearly as hard. I found myself wondering why I couldn't sell old weapons and equipment I was no longer using, and it bothered me that the troops from different nations all speak American English. But these are just quibbles. It is still a good game. It is a shame when people judge it through the rose-tinted glasses of youth. The old X-COM is difficult to play now, in terms of interface, graphics, and overall difficulty. This new interpretation of the game is streamlined, yes, but not necessarily in a bad way. Also if one finds this game too easy, I challenge you to take on the Ironman setting with the newly activated 2nd Wave options enabled, preferably on Classic or Impossible. There is no need to 'defend the honor' of the original X-COM; this is not that game. This XCOM is its own game, and quite a good one at that. Expand
  19. Oct 15, 2012
    In one word: Fantastic! To begin with, anyone giving this game a rating of 5 or less is not giving it the credit it deserves. Reading throurgh the poor score ratings, it becomes clear to me that folks give a 0 rating because of spite and because it is not an exact clone of the original. Of course there are differences between the original Xcom and this one, simply due to the fact that weIn one word: Fantastic! To begin with, anyone giving this game a rating of 5 or less is not giving it the credit it deserves. Reading throurgh the poor score ratings, it becomes clear to me that folks give a 0 rating because of spite and because it is not an exact clone of the original. Of course there are differences between the original Xcom and this one, simply due to the fact that we live in 2012 and not 1994. I am a big fan of the original but following the development team of the remake since it was first announced, I knew I had to keep an open mind towards a fresh and different design. And it turned out suprisingly positive! The devs succeded to keep true to the original spirit but created something fresh that works well with today's game standards. I have played around 16 hours by now and every minute I spend the game gets better. I actually stopped playing in Normal mode just after my first 3 hours and went into Classic Ironman. This is where the game really shines. You get the original feeling back, the suspense, the hope and frustration...but in a good way. You loose one of your well trained and nurtured troops, you make the wrong decision in helping a specific member state over another, you research something that should not have been a priority or you sepend the money in a project you should have spend somewhere else; all this might actually end up in you loosing the game and you will not be able to go back and undo it. You have to live with your decision and the feeling that you might actualy loose it is always present, from the very start to the finish. I can only say well done to the team of Firaxis. You have raised the bar once more after the already fantastic work with Civ V. You have given the turrn based startegy genre a fresh wind. Keep up the fantastic work! Expand
  20. Oct 17, 2012
    The only ones who rate this game with negative scores, are old folks that can only compare directly to what is taken out of the old XCOM games. I think that says enough.

Pro's: + Very intense and exciting, backed up by a good usage of luck (might frustrate players who feel they aren't in control) + A lot of though choices to make, deep tactical elements, especially in battle + The

Pro's:
    + A lot of though choices to make, deep tactical elements, especially in battle
    + The combination of perma death of your soldiers, an excellent AI and a difficult setting, make up of a great experience
    + Allows for one of the best player-driven narrative I've ever seen.

- Some camera issues
    - Strategic layer overarching the tactical missions are a bit thin, and don't live up to the complexity and realistic feel of the game

I recommend this to anyone who has some love for hard-knock, immersive strategic games.
  21. Oct 10, 2012
    Don't let the nostalgic grumps fool you. They beat off to reams of tables and pointless micromanagement and wouldn't know good, solid game design if it had its way with their cat. This game is extremely good and is head and shoulders better than the original. Only nostalgic people and toothpick-counting sperglords have reason to complain.

The only truly bad change is the weird

The only truly bad change is the weird "encounter script" where the aliens run for cover.
  22. Oct 24, 2012
    YES: -Its still fun to play game
    -Tactical battles have spirit of original 1994 game
    -Aliens, aircrafts,weapons etc are mostly based on original design -Its hard and demanding -Its a high budget turn based strategy and its 2012, i salute to 2K for courage ;) NO: -Its much much simplified comparing to the 1994 game -Music is dull and no based on original scores in any way -Its
    YES: -Its still fun to play game
    -Tactical battles have spirit of original 1994 game
    -Aliens, aircrafts,weapons etc are mostly based on original design
    -Its hard and demanding

NO: -Its much much simplified comparing to the 1994 game
    -Music is dull and no based on original scores in any way
    -Its short and kind of linear
    -tutorial is ultra annoying and its on by default
    -New Cryssalid not even half dangerous as the old one
  23. Nov 3, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game and it is by far one of the best turn-based strategy game I have played. Playing on classic ironman is tense and challenging. However there is a couples of things that puts me off from giving it a higher than 8:

1: Aliens 'teleporting' bugs, only got it once in a playthrough but it wiped my party as a sectoid, 5 chrysallids, 2 muton elites and 4 heavy floaters and 2 sectoid commanders were all dumped on me at spawn.

2. At higher difficulties one has to play very conservatively to not trigger additional spawns, which does get old after a while.
  24. Oct 13, 2012
    Love this game. True pinnacle of turn based gaming. Firaxis is to thank for that. Feel light and shallow at first until about 15 hours in. After that you are almost forced to restart on the basis that you've been playing the game all wrong. I felt the same way with Civ 5. Enough depth and entertainment to give me sleepless nights. Lots of ways to customize your play style. Great pacing.Love this game. True pinnacle of turn based gaming. Firaxis is to thank for that. Feel light and shallow at first until about 15 hours in. After that you are almost forced to restart on the basis that you've been playing the game all wrong. I felt the same way with Civ 5. Enough depth and entertainment to give me sleepless nights. Lots of ways to customize your play style. Great pacing. Sometimes wonky camera and movement , but that doesn't distract from the challenge the game offers even just playing on normal. It's a must play for any turn based fan. Expand
  25. Feb 23, 2013
    XCOM: The 21st century chess.

XCOM is a fantastic game, a must have for those who like a challenge. Just like in chess, it demands from you a lot of thinking to plan your steps and cold blood to make difficult decisions. Also as in chess, in XCOM, each piece plays a different role: you must manage your soldiers well and know the characteristics of their class. On the other side, your
    XCOM: The 21st century chess.

Also as in chess, in XCOM, each piece plays a different role: you must manage your soldiers well and know the characteristics of their class. On the other side, your enemy also has "pieces" with different characteristics, and will not forgive you if you make a mistake.

Besides all that, you have to manage your base of operations, which includes a number of tasks, such as coordinating a group of scientists studying the aliens; engineers that apply the results of these studies in the development of new technologies; the organization of how you monitor the alien activity in the rest of the world; and of course your team of soldiers: their equipment and skills (which are learned as they are promoted).

The story, no doubt, is not the most important, but it contextualizes the game well and motivates you to move foward. The most remarkable, however, is the narrative that emerges from your involvement with your own soldiers. Their deeds, good or bad, will be remembered and their deaths will never be forgotten.

XCOM is a very complete game and make you think a lot. Your enemies evolve over time, therefore you also have to keep learning and adapting, otherwise the end will be closer than you think. And the best gaming experience is in Ironman mode (which will not let you redo your actions), so the game becomes more realistic and your decisions more meaningful.
  26. Oct 13, 2012
    As a hardcore XCom fan i have to say im very impressed with this, not sure what people are saying that if you have played the original it wont be as fun? im having lots of fun? im "probably" about halfway through it and have enjoyed every moment of it. No, its not the original but it wasnt set out to be. I find it much more tactical then the first game as in this one the AI is quiteAs a hardcore XCom fan i have to say im very impressed with this, not sure what people are saying that if you have played the original it wont be as fun? im having lots of fun? im "probably" about halfway through it and have enjoyed every moment of it. No, its not the original but it wasnt set out to be. I find it much more tactical then the first game as in this one the AI is quite intelligent and you have to use the cover system and back each of your squad members up and think of every possibiltiy, which is nice. the graphics are great and give a good "personal" feeling to the game with the dynamic camera. The ant farm style base is great and gives a different feel to the game as you can see what is going on in your base like recently captured aliens being held in the containment etc, I rated this a 9 as no game is perfect in my view, it is a very good game but i would like to see certain functions be in there like someone has said when your troops initially upgrade from rookie to select which paths they take as i had 6 snipers in a group of about 12 soldiers and without hiring more soldiers i could not get the other classes which were needed, even then wasnt always certain. Also found the interface when i move my soldiers in a ufo tends to not zoom inside the ufo as id like and alot of the time see the roof when i go to move, which is a pain sometimes but its very minor. All in all from what i have played so far about 16 hours worth its a very impressive game and appeals not just to fans of the series but new ones alike. Id recommend it to anyone. Expand
  27. Oct 9, 2012
    I have to admit, I was afraid that this game would be a perfect example of a game where it was built up and then was just mediocre (Skyrim anyone?). Went ahead a bought it and I have to say, that wasn't a mistake. So I came here to see what others were saying and was pleased to see the majority agree with me. I also wanted to address the main objection the ones that gave it a negativeI have to admit, I was afraid that this game would be a perfect example of a game where it was built up and then was just mediocre (Skyrim anyone?). Went ahead a bought it and I have to say, that wasn't a mistake. So I came here to see what others were saying and was pleased to see the majority agree with me. I also wanted to address the main objection the ones that gave it a negative review have: it's depth of strategy and, stemming from that, those who say that just wanted a retexturing of the original (which, if Firaxis did that, they would be saying "just get the original on Steam for 4 bucks, Firaxis just sold us an update"). They call it "tactics" but what they really mean is strategy (tactics being squad based planning, which this game clearly has and if they say it doesn't they don't know what they're talking about). Is the global strategy dumbed down? Yes, yes it is. Is this Xcom circa 1990? No, no it is not. Examples? Sure: You can no longer manufacture things to sell to the countries for money (there is a different, simpler dynamic). Manufacturing of guns and weapons as far as I can tell is instantaneous (don't really have a problem with that, but since the major complaint is that this isn't a retexturing of the original, I'll put that in there). There are no longer any ammo conservation concerns during missions, you just need to worry about reloading (though there are a limited amount of special abilities). You can have only one base (but you can have an high number of interceptors and satellites so that, in my opinion, makes up for it espc since in the original the presence of your base had no effect on the game unlike real life or this game). The manner in which you build your base has consequences, unlike the original one. Can you ignite the entire map and let fire spread? Yes. Destructive environments? Yes. But you can't shot a GUN at a wall (you can throw grenades or fire rockets however [more realistic]). The basic complaint here from the negative people is that it isn't Xcom. They wanted a simple retexturing and updating of Xcom. I can understand that, but it's also something that you can get elsewhere (UFO Afterlite series for example). What they fail to realize is that there are a number of things that were annoying and negative about the original. Cone of sight? (Kantai *COUGH*) Who sees in that? If an alien is right next to someone but not within a side square they're not gonna see it? Gimme a break. TUs are still there but they have been updated to be more realistic, because, seriously, why does it take time to turn around in the original? The first part of a mission in the original might as well be a ballet with all the squad members twirling around to get around the vision cone. No sniper rifles in the original (seems like an oversight to me. Yes they had "rifles" and "heavy weapons" but that seems kind of dumbed down now doesn't it (Kanti, Lysh *COUGH*). There are more, but there is a character limit here.

This Game actually expands the tactical and strategic options beyond the original. I'm sorry, but having to manage you backpack like Kanti complains this game took out, that's not tactical or strategic. Being able to construct a base that makes sense and has position bonuses (like this new game does), makes sense. The main point is this. If you want the exact same, original, authentic, experience and gameplay you got from Xcom, but with updated graphics DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I don't want you buying it and then coming here and throwing a fit because it's not the same, exact Xcom. But if you want a different, enjoyable experience that takes most of the good of the original and adds new concepts and ides to it while still being true to the original, then you can't go wrong here. Are there some things that I miss? Sure. Are there some things here I didn't even know I wanted? Hell yeah there are. Would I recommend this game? Def. And that, in the end, is all that really matters
  28. Oct 12, 2012
    Wow ... Have only sky-high praise for this magnificent game! I have been involved back from the C64 days and have always had a high opinion of Sid Meier from I tried "Sid Meier's Railroad" for PC. This man knows how to develop games - period! He has only been a consultant at XCOM-EU, but Sid understands the art of mixing with only quality developers. Bravo and congratulations on aWow ... Have only sky-high praise for this magnificent game! I have been involved back from the C64 days and have always had a high opinion of Sid Meier from I tried "Sid Meier's Railroad" for PC. This man knows how to develop games - period! He has only been a consultant at XCOM-EU, but Sid understands the art of mixing with only quality developers. Bravo and congratulations on a distinguished release Firaxis Games ... once again! Really nice to see there are still companies that take pride in publishing quality (just look how far down in quality, some companies have begun to publish games. Thinking here of sots II and Legends of Pegasus). I have never given a game a score but I have quite simply felt it necessary to create an account here just to give this excellent game 10 because I think it's directly is a mortal sin that some here gives a score below 6 But unfortunately there's some who apparently have been deeply disappointed XCOM-EU is not an exact COPY of the old just in new graphic packaging. Let me close by saying, if you're into strategy, thick and heavy atmosphere which just genuinely makes you forget the time in real life - then buy the game. If you do not buy ... well, then it's your loss!

Hey, I almost forgot to mention something about the amazing music in the game. I always shut down for the music in every game but one before ..... now it's two!
  29. Oct 14, 2012
    As long you're not an anachronistic gamer, who dislike remakes and argue only in terms of his limited experience, and if you like turn-based tactical games, this might be the best game for you, for hundreds of hours. I'm probably a so called X-COM veteran, which means that I played all titles, even "Interceptor", I enjoyed the UFO series, and tons of open source remakes. I played everyAs long you're not an anachronistic gamer, who dislike remakes and argue only in terms of his limited experience, and if you like turn-based tactical games, this might be the best game for you, for hundreds of hours. I'm probably a so called X-COM veteran, which means that I played all titles, even "Interceptor", I enjoyed the UFO series, and tons of open source remakes. I played every single turn-based game since 1990. Firaxis does not create too complex games, so most of their titles are not made for experienced players. So I was expecting not too much. But my current point of view is that it is one of the best turn-based tactical games I've ever played, but you need to give it 10+ h, until it gets harder and more interesting, after the enemies got grenades and better weapons, armor, and a tactical brain. After 15 h on "Classic" and "Iron Man" it got nice, finally, I'm losing 1-2 soldiers per battle, which was one of the first suprises to me, which will change soon, I hope. I like most of the changes, because it is nice to see a different approach, because this genre is so overused. This game here is more tactical than most X-COM titles, in my opinion, even if you see less statistics and have less opportunities to count on them, due to cover and "cliffhanger" mechanics. But I miss economic features, i.e. ammunition production, which can be costly. X-COM was about team and company management. This part is very stricted now I'm missing self-organisation features from X-COM, which means: I'm not sure if it depends if I shoot a big UFO or not. UFOs and missions appears erratic to me, at least it's unclear to me and is a big minus. So I just click on "scan" for new UFOs, 1-2 abuctions and 1 special mission per month? Seems scripted to me. In old X-COM you knew that there is a relation between your missions and new bases. They cancelled radars, but added satellites which appears as radars on the map, which is somehow funny, and not only this: satellites are connected to subterranean (!) uplinks. I miss the management of 2-3 bases, but I see that this overtax some people. The ant farm base look nice, on first glance, but seems redundant to me, because the buildings are too big for a clean view and user navigation, so you're using the top buttons most the time. But I like how cover is handled, how the graphics looks like (for a turn-based game), the story (most X-COM stories are great), and the similarity to the first X-COMs. Expand
  30. Oct 28, 2012
    PLAY IT IRONMAN ONLY. XCOM is the most fun I have had playing sp with a title for a very long time. After playing FTL and Dishonered, I decided to play on ironman mode in XCOM and it turns out this was a great decision. Dishononered wasnt great for me because I just loaded saves all day, whereas FTL was fantastic because I actually had to think about consequences. WIth XCOM, the emotionalPLAY IT IRONMAN ONLY. XCOM is the most fun I have had playing sp with a title for a very long time. After playing FTL and Dishonered, I decided to play on ironman mode in XCOM and it turns out this was a great decision. Dishononered wasnt great for me because I just loaded saves all day, whereas FTL was fantastic because I actually had to think about consequences. WIth XCOM, the emotional investment in my soldiers and terriortries became intense, and the gameplay was genuinely suspenseful. I found myself laughing when a complex flank or overwatch or build order in the base came off, and slamming the desk when something went wrong or I lost patience, over extended and paid the price. The thrill of discovering new tech and dealing carefully with new aliens was fantastic, although I imagine it is limited to 1-2 playthroughs. Truly an unforgettable experience; I highly rate this title, especially if you aren't a fanboy of the original. Do yourself a favour and play it Ironman first time. Brings risk and reward back into gaming. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.