8.2

1. Oct 14, 2012
    Firstly, I am writing this review without having played the original XCOM, so I only have other turn based tactical games to compare this to.

Having got that out of the way XCOM: Enemy Unkown is a powerhouse of a game. I have already put over 15 hours into this it and still feel like I have only scratched the surface. This game lets you play the way that you would choose to lead, you are the Commander! It truly feels that way too, all the way down to the minute decisions, like, how your base is going to need to be positioned to give you optimal performance, what research you need to conduct, and what items, or facilities, need to be built. If you have any doubts about this game then subside them now because it is well worth the dollar amount for how much game you will be receiving. That is not to say that the game is perfect as it does have some minor flaws; these flaws however do not really detract from the overall performance.

Firaxis has proven that they are a force to be reckoned with and this title furthers that belief. They took, from what I have read, and heard, a beloved title and done it justice. They have developed an incredibly addictive game that forces you to make tough decision with repercussions that will either A) make missions more difficult, B) completely remove allied nations from your support system, thus, reducing the amount of money you have to spend, or, C) Risk the death of a veteran soldier who has ran through several mission. You will be surprised at how attached you will become with some of you XCOM soldiers. The game does a splendiferous job of making you feel in control as a Commander and that the fate of this entire project rests on your shoulders. You even get to choose which countries you should help, or which ones you will ultimately have to throw to the hounds, by which missions you choose.

The missions in the game are fantastic and each providing a different challenge based on map layout. I have yet to play a single mission that was similar. One detraction during missions though are the camera angles which for some reason do not allow you to zoom in on location yet allow you to zoom out and sometimes the angles can get a little frustrating but nothing that can not be gotten used to. The music can get a little repetitious, but that could also be a sign of needing to take a break as you will often forget how long you have actually been playing. It is really tough to close the game after each mission because you want to further upgrade your squad making them tougher and more bad ass. But when the music starts to get irritating that may be the sign to log off for a bit.

Overall this is a very solid game that yearns for the embrace of any user who fancies him/herself a strategist. It is deep, complex, and full of possibilities that require your choices to pave the way for humankind to endure the Alien occupation. Not everyone is safe while you play having found this out the hard way by losing one of my characters brothers that I had created to make it more deep and personal to me. It is a loss that shall forever be remembered via the memorial to the fallen. Not every country is safe and it is up to you to decide who shall prevail and who must make the biggest sacrifice to save Humanity, that is what makes this game awesome. Hopefully your choices lead you to victory and that your casualties stay minimum but that is up to you overall, Commander!

I have recently read some of the user reviews here that state it is "dumbed" down, or too "streamlined", and from a gamer who never played the original I have to say in defense that it really didn't feel that way to me. You can adjust the difficulty at any time, even mid-mission, and everything these days is getting streamlined because no game should be shut off to any gamer by being slated as unapproachable to a casual player. I thought they did a smashing job of making this a game that anyone can play while still giving the player the ultimate choice of how difficult they want to play the game.
  2. Oct 13, 2012
    I am an old school PC gamer. I have a shelf over my desk on which I display the original boxes of games that I consider truly great. The games are arranged more or less in chronological order, except that I have great games with great sequels grouped together (e.g. the SSI gold box games are all together, the two Starflight games are together, etc.) The original X-com, in it's ugly whiteI am an old school PC gamer. I have a shelf over my desk on which I display the original boxes of games that I consider truly great. The games are arranged more or less in chronological order, except that I have great games with great sequels grouped together (e.g. the SSI gold box games are all together, the two Starflight games are together, etc.) The original X-com, in it's ugly white corrugated cardboard box with the black printed sleeve, is sitting on that shelf immediately to the right of "Betrayal at Krondor". The game to the immediate right of X-com is Deus Ex Expand
  3. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is everything I expected from a modern day remake of a classic. The best parts have been kept such as research, resource management, engineering and base building. Combat at first glance may appear to have been dumbed down by reducing your squad size and taking away movement points, but obvious thought and detail has been put into it and frankly, it works better than theThis game is everything I expected from a modern day remake of a classic. The best parts have been kept such as research, resource management, engineering and base building. Combat at first glance may appear to have been dumbed down by reducing your squad size and taking away movement points, but obvious thought and detail has been put into it and frankly, it works better than the original! As many others have stated, the promotions and advancement of your soldiers is greatly satisfying and makes you care about your guys. Great, great game. Well worth the purchase price. Expand
  4. Oct 13, 2012
    I do miss some function that was in the original game, but I think Firaxis has made up for that with a few things I am really enjoying. They have somehow made me very protective of my few but effective soldiers. They made me actually WANT abductions to occur so I had a faster opportunity to obtain scientists, engineers, and money. The base interface is intuitive, looks great, and theyI do miss some function that was in the original game, but I think Firaxis has made up for that with a few things I am really enjoying. They have somehow made me very protective of my few but effective soldiers. They made me actually WANT abductions to occur so I had a faster opportunity to obtain scientists, engineers, and money. The base interface is intuitive, looks great, and they nixed the need for multiple capture rooms (huzzah!). In the original game, I can't tell you how many times I have tried to get soldiers to a good position and ran out of points to move them there, so I think the move/rush feature is awesome. I want to create multiple bases, but being able to cover the same areas with satellites is not a bad trade. Maybe we'll see it in a DLC, who knows. The half-cover/full-cover dynamic is simple to pick up and hard to master. A fantastic addition to the game. Frankly, I couldn't be happier about my decision to play this game. Never been happier to drop $50. Expand
  5. Oct 13, 2012
    The game is brilliant! it doesn't handle you with kiddie gloves. it roughs you up. til you man up.

It strives to capture all the great things that nostalgic players wanted from the old XCOM. including the "this is not a cakewalk" feel. Ok ok so I was playing on "classic" difficulty level, which is one step higher than normal. But they got it right! Almost all the negative reviews

Almost all the negative reviews you'll see here are out of frustration from how to manage getting credits and not go overboard with accumulating upkeep costs for your facility. Admittedly if it's your first run through the game, you'll probably face this problem. Since you are faced with a wide array of things to upgrade and work on, and it's easy to overlook the main credits making path to keep things afloat, namely satellites.

I've been playing this game 2 days straight now and I'm strongly attached to my squad members, and spend a few mins before every mission just to make sure they look right for their characters before they deploy.

The tactical squad combat carries the whole title. It's lovely and its tense. which is not an easy thing to do on a turn-based game (think jagged alliance?). Admittedly the assault class seems to be overpowered next to others. But other classes are still very helpful as support. The cover system is very simple and clear enough.

Managing resources is a tight rope, and being able to hold on to all countries is a challenge. Base facility management also adds the cool element of "adjacency bonuses", meaning if you cluster your power generators together you get more power.

It's a rare gem that can't be missed!
  6. Oct 22, 2012
    I've played the original XCOM and I love this new one. Here is why:

1) Very engaging combats - you need to think carefully your every move because one mistake can mean the death of one of your soldiers. The move-to-cover system is streamlined (in a positive way), the enemies are challenging and overall every battle is great fun. 2) Choosing skills for your soldiers is a very nice
    I've played the original XCOM and I love this new one. Here is why:

2) Choosing skills for your soldiers is a very nice feature.
    3) The game runs very smoothly and almost without any bugs (on the PC version at least), I've played for about 20 hours so far and encountered only two bugs.
    4) The game is highly addictive, with "just one more battle.." always on my mind.
  7. Oct 14, 2012
    This is an excellent game for both fans of the original and newcomers to the series. Please don't be put off by the fanatic 1 in 10 minority who are so blinded in loyalty to the orginal that they can't accept change and would preffer the in-penetrable tedium of counting out pistol clips for half an hour before every mission. The game has been streamlined from the originals and almostThis is an excellent game for both fans of the original and newcomers to the series. Please don't be put off by the fanatic 1 in 10 minority who are so blinded in loyalty to the orginal that they can't accept change and would preffer the in-penetrable tedium of counting out pistol clips for half an hour before every mission. The game has been streamlined from the originals and almost entirely for the better, there is enough tactical and stategic depth in both combat and base mangement to satisfy almost all without boggin you down with overly excessive micro-management elements. The gameplay is intuitive and to my supprise works incredibly well on console given the PC heritage of the game. Action is a joy and provides a good challenge provoking you to think before clicking, it will punish the rash and impatient and reward those that have a considered approach. This is simply the best game of it kind in the genre over the last few years; gameplay, depth, accessbility - They really have got the balance just right. It's monstrously addictive and most of all it's fun. I had a slight gripe with the graphics not being quite top end up but in hindsight it's perfectly presentable and I'm probably being harsh to an otherwise excellent game. It's a bit annoying that the game has got lost amongst the big realeases over the last week (I had to hunt around several stores in order to find a copy) as it really deserves to be played by as bigger audience as possible, those who don't are missing out. An exceptional game and a perfectly executed re-imagining of the original that does justice to it's ancestry in the modern gaming era. Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is fantastic! Very well done and is (almost) all I hoped for in a reimagination of this old classic! I write "almost" because there are a few things lacking, but nothing serious.

First the good things: The game! Yes, it does almost nothing wrong. I know there are a lot of people ranting over the things that are missing compared to the old game. But really, this is an reimagination and most things have been changed up - and for the better. Inventory management is quick and intuitive, no more 10 min. inventory checks before each mission. The research tree is expanded and you are able to customize everything from troops and items to vehichles. More varied missions. Nice cutscenes and input from NPC's adding to the atmosphere and storyline. MUCH more emphasis on tactics - make too many mistakes and you are seriously punished, think before you move and you are rewarded. Soldiers have different classes, contributing to the tactical thinking. Base building requires more consideration. Resource management! Probably the single most mportant enhancement if you like this sort of game! Depending on difficulty level, you really have to pay a much closer attenyion to your resources than in the old Xcom. You can no longer mass produce laser rifles and sell them off, this is a big plus as it keeps the end game interesting! Even though you are 4 months in you can still make mistakes that can cause you to lose the game. This and much, much, more!

It is a teeny weeny lacking in the original atmosphere. The music, although good, is a bit too upbeat in my opinion. You just don't get the same creepy sensation... Then there is the clunky characters, guess it is because of the console adaption, but come on, some of the guys got hands twice as big as a normal person's head. Finally I wish they would have spent a little more time on finding talented voice actors.

But all on all highly recommendable. If you loved the old game you shouldn't be dissapointed.
  9. Nov 4, 2012
    On the whole a decent remake. Still a frighteningly difficult game to complete (glad they did not change this as is the norm with games nowadays!). However, I somehow feel that some of the tension and atmosphere is slightly lacking. As someone who has played (and owned) every single XCom game to date, I felt myself getting to the "its all the same again and again" stage fairly quickly. NowOn the whole a decent remake. Still a frighteningly difficult game to complete (glad they did not change this as is the norm with games nowadays!). However, I somehow feel that some of the tension and atmosphere is slightly lacking. As someone who has played (and owned) every single XCom game to date, I felt myself getting to the "its all the same again and again" stage fairly quickly. Now I am more than happy to admit this is probably just me getting old and losing interest too quickly (look at the shiny thing...) but I do feel the original had a bit more atmosphere.

That said, the graphics are wonderful, the sounds well done and the overall game is brilliant. The criticisms above are just me being picky. I have scored this as a 9, but would actually score it 9.5 if I could.

On the whole, VERY VERY WELL DONE Firaxis. Only other thing... could we please have some non US voices in the game - after all it is an international squad!!! In case it makes a difference, I play this on a PC (Alienware M18x R2) not a console. Nice to see the developers have made use of the Alienware lighting system so my keyboard changes colour at various times - key event occurs, Alien turn during missions, etc.
  10. Oct 14, 2012
    No, this is not XCOM: UFO defense. If you want to rehash history, play the original as it is available from several sources. This game while having similarities to the original, stands firmly on its own. They have done an excellent job with both the game play and modern graphics while retaining the essence of what the original was all about. I love it; hours and hours of turn based fun!
  11. Oct 14, 2012
    I played all the x-com classic games and I was not dissapointed with this one. I do miss some tactical options, it seems they simplify the game but not to the point where it is not challeging. It has the terror feeling that you could expect from an xcom game.
  12. Oct 14, 2012
    Outstanding remake that managed to capture everything that was good in the original, leave out a lot of what held it back in areas, and even add new engaging features and subtleties in a modern, graphically appealing wrapper. Even if you know nothing of the original this game stands on its own.
  13. Oct 14, 2012
    Before Reading negative reviews and believing them, check that users past reviews - you will see they hate EVERY GAME.. not just this one. This is a great re-make, not perfect but for a first release with DLC coming, it's well worth it. Don't believe the negative reviews, they are just sore on everything.
  14. Oct 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a long-time fan of the original X-COM series from the 1990's, I was skeptical at first about the Firaxis remake, but went ahead and bought it anyway so I can find out for myself. Yes, the game plays quite differently to the original but that hasn't detracted from the overall experience which has for the most part been a positive one.

The game adds complexity to elements that were once no-brainers, like the way the ground combat works. In the original, you simply armed every soldier to the teeth and sent them out guns-blazing to storm the enemy position, each one more or less identically-equipped and looking like one-man armies. In the remake, your soldiers need to work closely together as a team, using each other's specialist skills to accomplish feats that were not possible in the original. Got an Assault soldier? Get them promoted to the point where they can run right up close and kill a mind-merged Sectoid (and take out the other Sectoid it is mind-merged to) hiding behind a wall without so much as getting hit by enemy reaction fire so the rest of your team can safely enter that enemy stronghold; try doing that in the original, and chances are that poor soldier will be gunned down before they even knew what hit them. Put a Sniper on the roof and watch them take down multiple hostiles from long-range in quick succession while the rest of your team act as spotters. Suppress an enemy unit with your Heavy class soldier while your Assault guy flanks and kills that Sectoid who had just gunned down one of your high-ranking officers. The tactical possibilities are quite numerous.

It also introduces consequences for just about every action (or inaction) you do in the base management side of the game where the original merely required you to add facilities as needed. Can't intercept that one UFO because all your interceptors are damaged and out of action, or just don't want to risk losing an aircraft? You'll pay for it dearly later on when that same UFO comes back and shoots down your satellite. Building base facilities without careful planning will result in inefficiency and hinder your progress later on.

Yes, XCOM:EU has changed in many ways to the original, but I feel those changes have made the game better in many ways. Not everyone will like the changes, of course, but then again you can never please everyone.

Also, for those who think the game has been "dumbed down" and therefore easier, try playing on Classic difficulty with Iron Man mode enabled. It will not be long before your mind wants to scream "HELP ME!" out of despair. I played it with those options on my first attempt at the game, believing that this is how the game should be played, being an X-COM fan and veteran after all. I lost two nations to peak panic and another four on the way there in just one in-game month even though the council of nations gave me an A grade. In most missions, I would lose on average two or three out of four soldiers, not because I was inept but because the aliens were utterly ruthless and intelligent in their tactics. My two surviving guys would often bunch up behind some cover after such a loss, in a "it's just you and me now" kind of scenario, and then proceed to slowly and methodically take down every alien through sheer desperation and making a heroic last stand. Sometimes my guys would make it out alive, other times they would all be KIA. My conclusion: Do not underestimate this game, it will make you pay dearly for your every mistake, if you're up for that kind of a challenge.
  15. Oct 15, 2012
    Truly Firaxis has revived a genre and re-invented a style of gameplay I thought had long since died out! To be honest I would be giving this game a 10 were it not for (what I feel) what has becomes SOP for firaxis games which is glitchy UI performance and overall bugginess! And I fully expect things to level off and many patches later most of these bugs will be fixed.. but until thenTruly Firaxis has revived a genre and re-invented a style of gameplay I thought had long since died out! To be honest I would be giving this game a 10 were it not for (what I feel) what has becomes SOP for firaxis games which is glitchy UI performance and overall bugginess! And I fully expect things to level off and many patches later most of these bugs will be fixed.. but until then Congrats Firaxis on bringing it back and SHAME on firaxis QA for continuing to let the lackluster polish go on games that would otherwise be perfection! Expand
  16. Oct 15, 2012
    This game is basically chess, only your pieces are space marines and your enemies are aliens. Throw in some additional strategy elements and you have a game that's easy to love. I love strategy, and it has always made me sad that there wasn't much of a selection in modern turn based strategy games. Well, this game delivers it and is phenomenal! I had always wanted to try the original XCOM,This game is basically chess, only your pieces are space marines and your enemies are aliens. Throw in some additional strategy elements and you have a game that's easy to love. I love strategy, and it has always made me sad that there wasn't much of a selection in modern turn based strategy games. Well, this game delivers it and is phenomenal! I had always wanted to try the original XCOM, and after playing this game I will. Expand
  17. Oct 15, 2012
    It's natural to compare this to the original UFO:EU (X-Com: UFO Defence) because it's a reboot of the IP, but it's unfair to detract from the score because it's not the exact same game. The original was far from perfect and this title goes a long way to smoothing over the old issues. It's generally simpler all round but in a way which makes it more intuitive and gives better ease-of-useIt's natural to compare this to the original UFO:EU (X-Com: UFO Defence) because it's a reboot of the IP, but it's unfair to detract from the score because it's not the exact same game. The original was far from perfect and this title goes a long way to smoothing over the old issues. It's generally simpler all round but in a way which makes it more intuitive and gives better ease-of-use without making the game tactically easy to win. I'll go over some of the major differences: 1) Smaller range of weapons and equipment. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because you still have all the items you really need. Yes the original had a million and one items but let's be honest, how many of those did you really use? It was impractical to load your soldiers up with all that kit because they needed so much time to ever move anywhere, let alone fire. The reduction and simplification in equipment means you don't have to waste a load of time re-equipping your soldiers for 10 minutes at the beginning of every mission (though when they return from injury, sometimes you do need to do a quick re-fit) but it does mean less flexibility between soldiers. Ammo is gone, though reloading is not. This means you can't fire forever without a pause, but you don't have to manage ammo stocks and go back to previous weapon tiers when you run out. It also eliminates the bug in the original where you lost partially emptied magazines at the end of a mission. 2) Smaller research tree. A by-product of having fewer items means less research, but even so there's not an exhaustive amount for your scientists to do. I found them running out of options a few game days before I finished the game, though, so you could argue it was timed correctly. 3) Simpler statistics. Gone are the multiple, varied, stats you found in the first game in favour of a two-step action system where you can move twice, move then shoot, shoot twice (depending on skills) or use items. I personally welcomed this as it did away with the fiddly time unit management where you had to constantly keep track of how much time your soldiers had left for different types of shots. Shots themselves have been simplified, as have many of the items. It's a more streamlined experience, allowing you to move through missions more fluidly without getting bogged down in statistics. 4) Soldier classes. Like the UFO series did, this game has classes. I'm not sure how the game assigns each class to each soldier but it seems to be out of the player's control, which I found to be a little awkward. You might be trying to get another sniper but you keep getting support soldiers, for example. The classes give diversity to your team but they are, admittedly, restrictive due to the limited equipment options for each class. Snipers can only have sniper rifles and pistols; heavies can only have heavy weapons and a rocket launcher; assaults are the only ones that can use shotguns but both them and the supports can use assault rifles. It's restrictive, though you won't mind too much since they do work well together and you won't find your heavies having a significant movement or shooting penalty like you used to in the original, making them a viable choice. 5) Single base, worldwide scanning via satellites. Gone are the multiple bases and multiple squads in favour of a single one with worldwide scanning ability achieved through satellites instead of several bases. Interceptors are now limited to a continent instead of the old fuel limits, meaning you should still station them sensibly but you don't need to build a new base to accommodate them, you simply buy them and arm them. 6) Story. The original had a story but the game was more expansive and you could sort of ignore it and kill aliens forever. This title gives a linear storyline that you need to progress along by reaching certain world objectives. It's not a bad story at all, but it's short and a little too guided. It would be nicer if the game also included some sort of endless or free mode which gave a result more like the original, with less hand-holding. For me, this is the only disappointment of the game. 7) Enemies. They're back, they're good, but they're placed in groups rather than individuals. I like the new graphics, even though they're not amazing, and it's nice to see the old races re-imagined and re-designed. Environments tend to be smaller and easier to navigate, but that makes sense on the UFO crash maps. You follow the trail of broken trees and flaming wreckage to the downed craft, which is more realistic than a craft placed down on the map as if it fell directly down and made no impact, like the original game depicted. It's a great and it does many things right and better than the original but it could do with a few tweaks to make it more flexible and I dare say slightly more complicated but certainly it should have been longer, or have alternate game modes to give re-play value. Expand
  18. Oct 15, 2012
    This Game rocks !
    I'm really suprised, fine Sounds, amazing musics, a lot research-stuff.
    First of all, i love the music and the dramatic moments. If you play this game a while, you will love your squad, customize them, level them up, equip them with high tech stuff and never like to see them in the millitary hospital. There is 1 critic point for me. The missions are sometimes
    This Game rocks !
    I'm really suprised, fine Sounds, amazing musics, a lot research-stuff.

First of all, i love the music and the dramatic moments.

There is 1 critic point for me.
    The missions are sometimes the same and on time its a little bit boring.
    But thats all, the rest of the game is better what i've expected.
    This is not much critic and thats why i don't let this game under a 10 / 10 !

I hope there will be DLC or an expansion for this XCOM.
    Over all one of the best tactic games i played !
  19. Oct 16, 2012
    Great game! I was already a fan from the original sequence and I am really satisfied with their work. They made it more dynamic (you can complete a fast mission in 15 minutes), the old one could even take 1 hour to finish. There is obviously flaws and some things that i wish it had. It seems they held back many things, and probably will come as a DLC. Therefore, I don't give them theGreat game! I was already a fan from the original sequence and I am really satisfied with their work. They made it more dynamic (you can complete a fast mission in 15 minutes), the old one could even take 1 hour to finish. There is obviously flaws and some things that i wish it had. It seems they held back many things, and probably will come as a DLC. Therefore, I don't give them the maximum score because of this financial aspect. Expand
  20. Nov 14, 2012
    I`ve disappointed in XCOM 2012 because I am old style XCOM fan, BUT this game made with lots of improvements: graphics, tactical features, base components, storyline, and others. For me this game was a hope, that I`ll see BRAND NEW XCOM. So brand new XCOM disappointed me with: absence of map generator, and as a consequence poor map set, no randomize of enemy spawn, and as a consequenceI`ve disappointed in XCOM 2012 because I am old style XCOM fan, BUT this game made with lots of improvements: graphics, tactical features, base components, storyline, and others. For me this game was a hope, that I`ll see BRAND NEW XCOM. So brand new XCOM disappointed me with: absence of map generator, and as a consequence poor map set, no randomize of enemy spawn, and as a consequence loss of challenging and interest to the game. Developers quickened game release and those who liked old XCOM are disappointed.
    No matter what XCOM: Enemy Unknown 2012 worth to be played and gets my 8 (-2 for generators absence )
  21. Oct 27, 2012
    Overall, not a disappointing remake of this classic. My biggest fear with any remake is the developers take the name of a past success and leave all the good stuff behind. No so with this. The combat gameplay for remains true to the style in general, with a few added tweaks. Most of the base micromanaging is gone, which may be discouraging for purists, but I don't feel this is a loss forOverall, not a disappointing remake of this classic. My biggest fear with any remake is the developers take the name of a past success and leave all the good stuff behind. No so with this. The combat gameplay for remains true to the style in general, with a few added tweaks. Most of the base micromanaging is gone, which may be discouraging for purists, but I don't feel this is a loss for the management part of gameplay. Base construction is simplified a bit too much perhaps, but overall a job well done. Expand
  22. Oct 28, 2012
    Well, what a fecking fantastic game. Just when I thought that the strategy genre nowhere left to go 2K games have grabbed the genre by the cahonies and given them a good shake. The result is, of course, orgasmic.

Don't get me wrong if you pick the game apart then you could say well it's just a tweak on a Turn-based (Civilisation), base building (starcraft), resource management (every strategy game ever), small squad (Company of Heroes), save the world from Alien invasion (ermmm) game. But the way they have mashed all of these elements together into a cohesive experience makes for some of the best gamecrack I've ever experienced. The fact that you actually care when your squad members die, or that you get upset when a member state pulls out of the project, because you failed to stop their citizens being turned into mutant zombies. It's just a very immersive experience with many strategic avenues to be explored.
  23. Oct 28, 2012
    A triumph of modern game design. Jake Solomon and the rest of the Firaxis team did a bang-up job reinterpreting an old classic drawing from the best of board games and video games. Absolutely one of the best games in recent history. The occasional bug and usual Firaxis mediocre polish job (art, writing, voice work) plus the unfortunate lack of map variety keep it from being completely perfect.
  24. Oct 29, 2012
    I have played the game for 90 hours now and I still can't stop playing. Firaxis did a GREAT job re-imagining the good things of the original and scraping out the bad ones. Of course, everybody that was waiting for updated graphics of the original game will be disappointed, but I would be disappointed if they did that.
  25. Nov 10, 2012
    This is possibly the most annoying game i have ever played. It is extremely entertaining in and is marvelously done, but the game is ruined by line of sight bugs. Nothing is more frustrating then getting towards mid game/end game and having your best soldier die because an enemy could see you through a wall or they get a lucky crit on a 25% hit chance with an even lower critical chance.This is possibly the most annoying game i have ever played. It is extremely entertaining in and is marvelously done, but the game is ruined by line of sight bugs. Nothing is more frustrating then getting towards mid game/end game and having your best soldier die because an enemy could see you through a wall or they get a lucky crit on a 25% hit chance with an even lower critical chance. This is one of those games where you save every few seconds and then go back and remake moves until you win. This is completely annoying and stupid. They fixed this problem by adding an ironman mode, but if you play it you are wasting your time. You basically have to be extremely lucky to succeed in this game. Even a perfect strategy is destroyed by either one lucky shot or a line of sight glitch where you don't get your flanking bonus or the enemy can see you through walls. Most frustrating game i have ever played on the computer Expand
  26. Nov 18, 2012
    First time XCOM player, but very enthralled with this game. I really love the base planning aspects of the game. It gives lots of fun in between missions.
  27. Nov 24, 2012
    This is the best game I ever played! I was old fan from UFO game series, but this game is even better.

All tactical, sci-fi and action fans need to purchase this!
  28. Nov 24, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece of a remake, containing all the elements that made the original XCOM so addicting and fun. Graphics upgraded, gameplay streamlined, but the tactical formula stayed the same. Can't praise this title enough.
  29. Nov 25, 2012
    True predatesessor to the x-com games. If you played the initial x-com and ufo defence back in 90´s, you are aware most of the game allready. Slightly rewritten and able to follow modernday trends, this x-com is restart to the series. Brought to modern day 3d enviroment and equipped with multiplayer function, this is NOT sequel to previous games.
    Sadly, only things missing are:
    Sadly, only things missing are: Co-op mode, further ability to make custom weapons (limited to 1 optional accessory) & limited ability to make thins.

What i have been left to wait for is its sequel. Add-on that would add Terror From The Deep (x-com 2) storyline and gameplay to the mix. CAnt wait when submerged aliens will surface.

Allround, this game is a good start for players to introduce themselfs to x-com series, is familiar with both jagged alliance and previous x-com players and ranges from easy to challenging if needed.
    Its still being on process of bughunting, but seriously fun to play.
  30. Nov 29, 2012
    There are 3 kind of games in the world: 1. The worst one, which you will play if you are a game journalist, 2. The okay ones which you play because you are a fan or a game journalist.
    3. The epic ones which are made from gamers for gamers. And XCOM: EU is such an epic game! A lot of actual remakes are worst because they lost their soul against their originals. But not in XCOM. Of course there are some changes (no inventory, no ammo, no time lines...) but there are also a lot of new ideas which i really like (Soldier personalisation, cover...) . In the remake it doesn´t matter if you lost an soldier, but now you have your own created squad which don´t want to loose. Also the design of the aliens, ufos, maps and more are very well done! So thank you very much Firaxis for my game of the year 2012!

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.