8.2

1. Oct 10, 2012
    The original Xcom made me love turn based strategy games, and since then no game has been able to fill that void... Front Mission series and Incubation were close... This new Xcom is the real thing. Shut up and take my money!
  2. Jul 22, 2014
    I would put this game in the pantheon of strategy games, without question. SCORE: 97/100.

I loved this game from start to finish and everything about the tactical gameplay is amazing and engaging. There are a great variety of classes (with upgrade paths, ranks, and different equipment) and enemies, diverse maps, good base technology and items, and just a complete package that is fun and replayable.

This is a game that you will play again, and you will be glad you did.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    I made a terrible mistake...I didn't realize the game doesn't automatically save (well I did, but i'm lazy and didn't bother to manually save) and got into a situation where my entire team died. All my warriors, battled hardened from several missions: gone. And I was very sad, because I had to start from scratch, either with a bunch of scrubs or a new game. And yet...I'm more determinedI made a terrible mistake...I didn't realize the game doesn't automatically save (well I did, but i'm lazy and didn't bother to manually save) and got into a situation where my entire team died. All my warriors, battled hardened from several missions: gone. And I was very sad, because I had to start from scratch, either with a bunch of scrubs or a new game. And yet...I'm more determined than ever, and will do better this time, invest in the right things (that are crucial) and ignore the lesser investments until I have the money (I was a noob and didn't realize how important satellites are). I never played the original X-COM, but all I can say is this reminds me so much of Mass Effect 1 and 2, without the silly story (that eventually collapsed in ME3). They clearly borrowed from this series.

This is an incredible game: ignore the haters and buy this if you have ever enjoyed any game involving tactics. It's clear that they got the essence of what many old-school PC gamers say is the greatest game to ever be released for the computer...looking at this game I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. Easily the Game of the Year, and after less than a day playing it, among Firaxis' best (and they have made a lot of very good games).
  4. Oct 24, 2012
    One of the very best games I have played in years. The only reason I did not give it a 10 is due to a small lack of more varied starting set ups that would give each replay a bit more of a unique feel. To be sure this is an incredibly small gripe. Buy this game.
  5. Oct 16, 2012
    There's some minor issues, the most annoying of which being that sometimes moving people around inside a UFO is really a hassle due to the roof blocking your view, and other times people won't want to move to high or low ground. Some areas could also be beefed up in complexity (interception), but on the whole they really nailed this one. The game is addictively fun and brilliantly capturesThere's some minor issues, the most annoying of which being that sometimes moving people around inside a UFO is really a hassle due to the roof blocking your view, and other times people won't want to move to high or low ground. Some areas could also be beefed up in complexity (interception), but on the whole they really nailed this one. The game is addictively fun and brilliantly captures the "just one more turn" feeling. Fans of the 1993 version will be able to find things to complain about, as this is not a straight remake. It's a 2012 take on the game, and while not everything is the same the spirit of the classic version is alive and well here. If you're not familiar with the classic X-COM, then any strategy fan should go buy this right now. Expand
  6. Oct 23, 2012
    Best turn-based strategy game since the original X-COM. Yeah it has its own flavour, and it doesn't shy away from sticking to its own design decisions. What it delivers is just awesome. The single player on classic ironman has insane replayability: enemy AI, challenging combat, challenging strategic layer panic management etc. all provide a compelling experience. The best part is you knowBest turn-based strategy game since the original X-COM. Yeah it has its own flavour, and it doesn't shy away from sticking to its own design decisions. What it delivers is just awesome. The single player on classic ironman has insane replayability: enemy AI, challenging combat, challenging strategic layer panic management etc. all provide a compelling experience. The best part is you know that it was your fault that you lost, and you have a good idea what your mistake was to fix it next time. Establishing characters that you actually care for and naming them is addictive. The MP is just an added bonus to annoy your friends with and see if an all floater team can really mess up an archangel sniper, or if a 2 x ghost armour squad is better than an ethereal with sectoid scouts. Expand
  7. Oct 24, 2012
    Overly simplified, some serious camera issues, with a simple-yet-clunky UI, and the overall turn mechanic feels more disjointed than the Aftermath--Afterlight implementation. But the fact that I just didn't want to stop playing last night can't be ignored either.
  8. Oct 10, 2012
    XCOM veterans, this isn't just the game you used to play, but with updated graphics. It's a true reimagining of the original. But worry not, it's certainly worth your time. Especially on Classic difficulty, the game is definitely a challenge that takes me back to the agonizing moments, so full of tension, from the original. I found myself coordinating my squad's movements to work as aXCOM veterans, this isn't just the game you used to play, but with updated graphics. It's a true reimagining of the original. But worry not, it's certainly worth your time. Especially on Classic difficulty, the game is definitely a challenge that takes me back to the agonizing moments, so full of tension, from the original. I found myself coordinating my squad's movements to work as a team; carefully approaching each map in a slow and methodical fashion. The XCOM "squad" has a cohesive tactical feeling that the original was missing. Sure there was plenty of strategy in the original, but the new XCOM has a way of really making your team feel like more of a "TEAM" in a way the original didn't. The strategic layer of the game has been modified in such a way that it really serves to reduce the unnecessary elements of the original while still highlighting the importance of thinking about "the big picture" while playing. The game is so much more than just making sure you have the best squad for a given mission. It's about the long game. It's about planning for expansion down the road. It's about being prepared for the inevitable setbacks. It's about being able to think strategically as well as tactically. Nope, this isn't the original XCOM with a new coat of paint. It's a new XCOM. A modern XCOM. An XCOM that already kept me up WAY too late, and I'm sure will claim many more. This is an excellently crafted, undeniably fun strategy game. Expand
  9. Jan 5, 2013
    I like it. I'd say it is about a big expansion away from being perfect. It needs slightly more depth. Then again, as far as I've gotten is one suit of titan armor, a squad kitted with stolen plasma rifles.. and then **** RNG kills the last of my super troopers and several continents have cut funding.

I am about to turn it off of Iron man mode, **** hell do I blow. Classic difficulty is so goddamn hard. I mother **** hate thin men still. They always, always crit on me or cause a panic spiral with their dumb fart clouds.
  10. Oct 13, 2013
    I resisted buying this game for some time, but picked it up during a good Steam sale. Glad I did! Although I never played the original XCOM all the talk of the dumbing down of the game worried me. I cant talk to it as a comparison to the original, but overall in its current form it is fun.

Most missions feel short, but in a good way, you can boot up the game and do a quick mission while working on something else, or do some base management. I would have like a more detailed record for my squad mates (Kills, date of promotions, awards being given, times wounded) but at least the memorial is a nice touch.

Even well after this game came out it is worth picking up in my opinion.
  11. Oct 13, 2012
    This is a wonderful update of the old classic. While the old game had so many management options as to bog down the pace of the game, the new XCOM takes much of the tedium away. For example, in the old game, as you hired soldiers you would have to look at their randomly-generated stats individually to determine who should be carrying which weapons, and then work on increasing their bestThis is a wonderful update of the old classic. While the old game had so many management options as to bog down the pace of the game, the new XCOM takes much of the tedium away. For example, in the old game, as you hired soldiers you would have to look at their randomly-generated stats individually to determine who should be carrying which weapons, and then work on increasing their best stats during missions; in the new XCOM, soldiers are automatically assigned weapons and classes, and as they gain experience on the battlefield, they level up, granting them a new class ability each time. Not everything is perfect, however. The camera can only turn in 90 degree increments; not a problem outside, but indoor missions can be hell. Also, you'll find yourself fighting with the scenery at some of the worst times, trying to get the camera to hide it. Despite such minor flaws, this is a truly great game and a worthy successor to the franchise. Expand
  12. Oct 9, 2012
    This version of XCOM actually has MORE depth than the original. The bits that added little to the (classic) original have been removed or altere while tactical (combat based) and strategic ("base" based) options have been added that actually add to ythe thought that's required to succeed. Examples Disembarking - man that was a pain, one well placed grenade and your entire squad wipedThis version of XCOM actually has MORE depth than the original. The bits that added little to the (classic) original have been removed or altere while tactical (combat based) and strategic ("base" based) options have been added that actually add to ythe thought that's required to succeed. Examples Disembarking - man that was a pain, one well placed grenade and your entire squad wiped before you'd started your second turn and split up to avoid being one large target for me this always meant a reload of a saved game. It just annoyed me when it happened, now it doesn't. "Bug hunt" endings. Scouring maps for that one last alien who had decided to stand in a cupboard, 90 minutes trying to find it, ending up just being bored and making a careless mistake or just quitting the game - gone...Unrealistic micro customization - In the original you could force any soldier to become anything. That's not realistic at all. A 5 foot 3 sharpshooter moulded into being a musclebound heavy weapons carrier "just because you need one" It might offer you control - but at the expense of any level or realism. The movement simpified in use, but actually increased in tactical options. Moce a squad member a level? Easy! - No special button to take the view up or down required, how about over a wall or through a window. SImple, no 3 level menu system to go through, it will calculate it, and you will know whether you have the ability to continue with another action after or not. All the calculations are there if you play, but they are transparent to the user, leaving you just to work out what is best rather than micro analysing action points. Supression fire? Opportunity fire, different levels of cover? These allow you to work out some pretty snazzy tactics. Your troops level in a way that makes it fab. Actual abilities are learned that expand your tactical options, some are passive, some used on a turn based "cooldown" - all make a difference if used in the right place. Morale, Psi attacks. It's all there - it just doesn't require micro management. I thought I would miss micro management - but I don't - not one bit. For me - someone who loves to see a proper AAA turn based game (at LAST - after Sooooo many FPS..aren't FPS bored to tears with the same game being sold over and over and over and over) Xcom is a breath of fresh air. The moddability of the PC game means we can expect maps, missions and TC's in the next few months that will keep this game on my hard drive and being played almost indefinitely. 10/10 Best game I've played since Jagged Alliance 2 or Rebelstar. Well done Firaxis, after the relative mess of Civ 5 you are back with a bang. Best game of 2012 by a mile. Expand
  13. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is hard to review, mostly because it is a "re-imagining" of one of my favorite games. The short story is: I like it. I am playing it. So, it gets an 8. Could it have been better? Oh yes. As an X-Com remake, it falls a bit flat. Simplified is a commonly used description, "on rails" is how I'd describe it. It seems that somewhere out there in a secret gaming steering committee, anThis game is hard to review, mostly because it is a "re-imagining" of one of my favorite games. The short story is: I like it. I am playing it. So, it gets an 8. Could it have been better? Oh yes. As an X-Com remake, it falls a bit flat. Simplified is a commonly used description, "on rails" is how I'd describe it. It seems that somewhere out there in a secret gaming steering committee, an edict that games must become less complicated has been issued. Unfortunate if you believe, like me, that original X-Com succeeded, at least in part, due to it's complexity. Why should saving the world from an alien threat be easy? It shouldn't. This XCOM wants to do away with all logistics, deeming them "un-fun." Managing multiple bases and multiple away teams is a hassle, they seem to think. And trying to arrange how multiple assets will deal with multiple simultaneous threats is just a big pain, in their book, much easier (and fun-ner?) to just pick one from a list. Weird trigger based alien spawning, channelling the action in corridor sized maps, tiny squad sizes, no free fire, blah blah, you read all this before. So yes, it's not a very good remake of X-Com. But that's not all a bad thing. It's still a good game. Some games are better for their simplicity. This game does some things pretty well. It's tense and fun, soldier customization is nice (could be better - why can't I pick my class or home nation?), there are advanced difficulty options (Ironman mode!), cut scenes are fun, kill cam is nice. However, there are things it could do better without changing the nature of the game as it was envisioned. Graphics rendering is sometimes sluggish, there are tons of clipping problems, there are camera and movement bugs, voice acting can be a bit shaky, textures could be a bit nicer, an option to remove the additional click for ability confirmation would be super. So despite all of this which mostly sounds negative, I still think it's an 8. Good enough so that when I get home from work tonight, I'll be playing XCOM. Expand
  14. May 22, 2016
    Just finished. Although must admit It took a while for me. Maybe because I didn't follow what I was supposed to do. Heck I build a foundry and uncovered a whole bunch of upgrades and units I could make only towards the end of the game. By then my soldiers were beefed up so I managed. Gotta give it credit because it was kind of addictive. Great ending too.
  15. Oct 6, 2013
    Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome:Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome: Total War, Dues Ex and XCom are the juggernauts of the medium.

It was a brave choice to remake it, because they were never going to fully win over the faithful. But on the other hand, it would be sad to let it die. All in all, it's not perfect, but it does the heritage justice.

Assuming you've played the original, long story short: The battles are far more exciting, the campaign is dumbed down.

Battles: Still turn based. Time units are gone, replaced with 2 action points. Move and shoot, move and snap shot (now called overwatch), move and ability (or item) or move and move. Seems overly simplistic, but the balance of unit types and terrain keeps it from getting too tedious.

The Good: You won't spend 10 minutes looking for the one last alien whose camped out in a house for some reason. Faster battles, more shooting, feels like a battle instead of a hunt. Unit types are broken down by classes, which makes squad assembly a lot easier, but in a good way.

The bad: The enemies "patrol," which means they agro when you see them. There is very little AI on their part. They rarely retreat. They also get a bonus move where they move to cover whether they move into your zone or you move into theirs.

Campaign: Pretty familiar. You pick a location for your base and build up. You can only have one base and the aliens never attack it. Scientists and Engineers are awarded as mission bonuses and over time, more or less.

Good: It's pretty close to the original. Combat gear is expensive to build, but you never lose it.

Bad: Dumbed down. No additional bases, no base attacks, half the building options are completely unnecessary. Even though 2/4 of the unit types are specialized, your soldiers advance at the same rate, leaving you with a ton of snipers and heavies that you never use and never enough Assault and Support units. Once you build the Firestorm, you will never lose an aerial battle.

Overall: Do everything in your power to build satellites in the beginning game and after a few months you won't be for want of money.

Misc note: Any veteran player will want to play on Ironman mode, where any death on the battlefield is permanent. But the game isn't really set up for that, unless you play it perfectly. In the original, there were low level missions intermixed with the higher ones, so you could level up your B and C squad without thinking too much about it. In this one, if you are smart with your research priorities, you've got 10-20 missions in the whole game. You have to deliberately bring lower units on important missions (they are all important). A squad wipe halfway through the game can be the end. Once the heavy enemies start showing up, unless you have a good squad, you're done for. Ironman mode seems to be a last minute addition.

Ending Thoughts: This is a great game. I love it. It has a few flaws that keep it from being perfect. But if you were a fan, you will probably like it. I wish it was a bit more complex, but you can't have everything. I wish there were more to it, but it's the best sequel to the original, and I include all the official sequels in there.
  16. Dec 22, 2012
    Dumbed down from the original? Maybe. Deeper and more thoughtful than most games of the market? DEFINETELY... Any player who enjoys games where thinking is involved has to love this little gem. It's not a remake, more of a re-imagining. A wonderful turn based game where every choice matters. A great showcase of what good turn based gameplay can be. ARE YOU LISTENING RPG GAME MAKERS? MoreDumbed down from the original? Maybe. Deeper and more thoughtful than most games of the market? DEFINETELY... Any player who enjoys games where thinking is involved has to love this little gem. It's not a remake, more of a re-imagining. A wonderful turn based game where every choice matters. A great showcase of what good turn based gameplay can be. ARE YOU LISTENING RPG GAME MAKERS? More fun than I had with any game this year... Expand
  17. Oct 16, 2012
    I've not played this game fully as I've been engrossed with Dishonored. I've completed the first few missions and like what I've seen. It's a nice strategy game with pretty graphics. I haven't had the 'one more go' element that some people have had. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. I read that it's been massively simplified more the new generation. I don't have a problemI've not played this game fully as I've been engrossed with Dishonored. I've completed the first few missions and like what I've seen. It's a nice strategy game with pretty graphics. I haven't had the 'one more go' element that some people have had. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. I read that it's been massively simplified more the new generation. I don't have a problem with this as I'm not the quickest of cats and want enjoyment from my games :) Once I've finished Dishonored (which is a 10 out of 10 for me), I'll continue my progress. My initial impression is this is a solid 8 out of 10. Expand
  18. Nov 6, 2012
    I've played all of the original Xcom games. And one of the things I hated was at the end how you have to run around and find the last hidden alien in a giant map, sorta like a really annoying "Where's Waldo". And the ending game when you get there it was to a point a given you were going to win, you just had to run through the aliens homeworld. Now cut to this updated version to theI've played all of the original Xcom games. And one of the things I hated was at the end how you have to run around and find the last hidden alien in a giant map, sorta like a really annoying "Where's Waldo". And the ending game when you get there it was to a point a given you were going to win, you just had to run through the aliens homeworld. Now cut to this updated version to the franchise, and you know what, it's really good. It has a sweet spot in squad size, and the game put in a lot more options than the original game. Its exciting get a new tech tree to learn. All of the cut scenes are pretty good. The game is hard a lot harder than the original Xcom's. you have to think your moves through and take it slow. I played the game 24 hours non-stop, just saying its really that good if you like squad based games. lastly, the guy who did the audio for the original Xcoms did the audo for this version. Trust me you'll love Xcom, its like slipping on a comfy pair of old shoes. Expand
  19. Oct 16, 2012
    I've been gaming since the early 80's but only made the transition to PC gaming in 2000. I've played the original XCOMs and similar games in the genre, but they generally failed to keep my interest, with some of them consuming masses of my free time with intricate micro managing squads, resources, soldiers etc etc. So, I was a little sceptic when Firaxis decided to make a new game in theI've been gaming since the early 80's but only made the transition to PC gaming in 2000. I've played the original XCOMs and similar games in the genre, but they generally failed to keep my interest, with some of them consuming masses of my free time with intricate micro managing squads, resources, soldiers etc etc. So, I was a little sceptic when Firaxis decided to make a new game in the series. They stated they would reduce the time required to manage your squads, bases and resources, and they were true to their word. I bought the game just a couple of days ago and I have already ploughed around 20 hours into it. I can understand why some die hard fans of the original game are a bit miffed, but I for one am happier that they made the changes they did. The game is still VERY challenging and it has great immersion. Expand
  20. Jul 22, 2014
    All in all, the game is very strong; the combat works well, the macro-level stuff keeps you sucked in, and there is a fairly decent variety in enemies. The game will keep you entertained for 20-30 hours.

That being said, it could be a little bit better; the aliens aren't quite smart and aggressive enough, and eventually, once you get things under control, it can get a little bit dry towards the end.

Still, on the whole, it is an enjoyable experience and well worth the time and money to beat it once.
  21. Oct 17, 2013
    I liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the gameI liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the game over-emphasises a slow defensive approach this makes battles take far longer as you tediously move each squad member forward between alien encounters. It's not a massive problem for most of the game, but then you get to the final the story missions, one of which is basically a long, long corridor. It's just tedious moving your guys forwards. In the end, I just got sick of moving guys around arbitrarily and packed it in. Still had a fun 20 hrs with the game, which is pretty huge given I'm not a strategy fan. Expand
  22. Oct 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First and foremost, I have to say that all around, this is a pretty solid game. Visually, it is stunning, as the makers have owned up to their claims by seamlessly combining the game play with a cinematic twinge. The actual game play on missions themselves is pretty straightforward, with quite a bit of room for custom play styles; whether you're more of a massive armor, heavy guns, run and gun style player or a sleek, stealthy tactician, either way works. The ability to completely customize your soldiers is a nice function as well. From their skills, right down to their names and how they look, it helps add some more investment for the player. Top it off with being able to completely customize each soldier's gear, and it's like Christmas every time you get something new! Being able to build your base however way you'd like is another nice touch. Maybe more research, more engineering, or however you wish to lead your group. Couple that with having to balance keeping the world powers happy and not letting them drop off the radar, literally and figuratively, helps break up the game play throughout the experience. With all that being said, the game still left me with a more-ish taste. It had a lot of different options, but never quite enough of any single one. Like the old proverb which really seems to encompass the game, "Jack of all trades, master of none". Early on it is exciting, but quickly you find yourself seeing the extent of what you can do. There may be umpteen different items to research, but only one style of each. It just felt like there could have been more customization, more research, more expansion, much more mission variety, and so forth. Still, regardless, as I said before, it is still a pretty solid game. To be completely honest, I would have been way more pleased to pay $30, maybe $40, for the game as I believe that is what it's worth. Still though, I don't regret it at all and if you're a fan of strategy games (maybe not a diehard XCOM fan), this is still well worth it, especially if you get it on sale or at a lower price! Expand
  23. Oct 10, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is solid. Period. For those of you who have been playing games for years and like various aspects of many types of games, this one will satisfy you. Turn based strategy. Check. Shooter vibe. Check. Base building. Check. Difficult decisions. Yes. Desisions matter. Umhum. Feels like you're "in the game." Absolutely. Fun and re-playable. You see where I'mXCOM: Enemy Unknown is solid. Period. For those of you who have been playing games for years and like various aspects of many types of games, this one will satisfy you. Turn based strategy. Check. Shooter vibe. Check. Base building. Check. Difficult decisions. Yes. Desisions matter. Umhum. Feels like you're "in the game." Absolutely. Fun and re-playable. You see where I'm going with this.
    Give XCOM a chance and it'll surprise you at the most unexpected moments in both great and devastating ways. These moments are always interesting though and happen in ways that never leave you feeling cheated.
    This team deserves to be supported. A little creative searching can yield a slightly cheaper result if pricing is a problem for you. I have over 40 games on Steam and XCOM is my shining star that I'm most proud of and that I'm most likely to recommend to others. It's the game I going to want to talk about months after completion and maybe fire back up again from time to time.

Firaxis,
    Congratulations and thank you for implementing your ideas for an XCOM reboot so well. I know that you know that you have a special product under your belt. Now the rest of us know it as well, and most of us agree that it's unique, fun, and relevant in today's gaming space/market.

Knocked it out of the park!
  24. Mar 10, 2013
    I think XCOM is a great game. Multitude of campaigns, but above all the turn-based combat is the most successful game. In the negative section base management is improved. But the game is amazing in the playable section. Totally recommended.
  25. Oct 15, 2012
    Love this game. I'm a long time fan and still a player of all the previous x-com titles (the real ones not the flight sim or 3rd person shooter rubbish). This iteration of the series is much more streamlined and easy to play while actually providing more options to players tactically. It removes some things some players such as excessive micro-management base supplies and otherLove this game. I'm a long time fan and still a player of all the previous x-com titles (the real ones not the flight sim or 3rd person shooter rubbish). This iteration of the series is much more streamlined and easy to play while actually providing more options to players tactically. It removes some things some players such as excessive micro-management base supplies and other micromanagement details like that, but those changes actually makes you feel more like a commander of a base rather than someone filling the shoes of logistics, command, and every other role of a military base all at once, and lets face it logistics (buying supplies manually) is boring as hell. The Prone, crouched standing for your men has been replaced with full cover, half cover and no cover (also flanked) which makes movement and play feel more realistic and makes it easier to use. Tactically (which is where the fun is in these games) all tactical options from the previous games are still in there except for the some (non-tactical) tricks people used with time management such as creeping forwards really slowly while spamming overwatch which is just cheating really, the new time management system actually results in more believable gameplay without closing off tactical options and making your choices for what to do with your 2 actions per turn more important. The new class system for your troops while taking away the choice from you of how sort of class they will be still gives you the choice of how to make up your squad and with the unique skills each class provides this makes for more strategic choice than in the previous games when making up your squad. On the point of unique skills they open up more options for how you will use a turn than previous titles which only adds to the tactical depth. The only other major change from previous games is the shrinking of the squad size, this doesn't change gameplay or your tactical options all it changes is the time it takes to do a mission. The only negatives I've found are a few rare bugs with the menu system and occasionally the AI will take time (up to 1 min for me max so far) to process what it is going to do making you think it is frozen although graphics are still being rendered in realtime. Overall its a great title and the people making a fuss over changes really don't understand that the changes actually haven't changed the game much at all and have actually enhanced the tactical and strategic aspects, but some people just don't like change or enjoy jumping onto causes weather real or imagined. Expand
  26. Oct 15, 2012
    Don't you hate first day of release 10 scores, I mean how can they ever be accurate. Anyway, this is a very good squad based tactical shooter, but that is all it is. All the other xcom features are gone or simplified to the point they no longer matter. The base is just 5 menus, the whole Ant Farm Idea is just eye candy, very pretty eye candy but you never have to use it and even if you do,Don't you hate first day of release 10 scores, I mean how can they ever be accurate. Anyway, this is a very good squad based tactical shooter, but that is all it is. All the other xcom features are gone or simplified to the point they no longer matter. The base is just 5 menus, the whole Ant Farm Idea is just eye candy, very pretty eye candy but you never have to use it and even if you do, only the main ops section does anything. They gave up aliens invading your base for a pretty backdrop. UFOs are rare, which is strange for a game about UFOs because shooting them down in large numbers was kind of the whole point of these games. There is only 1 Alien base in the entire game, aliens do not establish bases in areas you failed to defend, you just get this one base and this is part of the main plot anyway. EG part of the story and not at all random in anyway. Cover in battles is so messed up you can be hit through solid walls without the wall being damaged or have zero percent chance of hitting an alien that is stood right next to you. Despite this, the battles are still very good. Aliens do not move around, they spawn when triggered, either by the player walking through invisible triggers that makes them suddenly appear, or by dropping out of the sky like magic or by just popping in to existence in front of your very eyes. Not very convincing. Again, despite this, the battles are still very good. You can play game without any fighters are all, some of my fighters have never been used or only used once after over 20 hours of game play. Unlike the original game where you had a lot of UFOs to shoot down and needed those fighters, that is just not the case here. Most of the time your dealing with UFO landings, but you never see the UFO fly to the spot and land, it just happens. Terror attacks on cities, abductions and a host of other missions make up the core squad based game play, this is what makes the game worth an 8 score on its own. Worth buying just for this if you like Squad based combat. As for the title making it sound like a UFO Enemy Unknown game, that is just a way to sell a Squad based game to an audience that may not have brought it if it was called ET Invasion or something. It may look like an UFO game but its not, there is no RPG elements in this worth speaking off, no strategy worth talking about. Just Squad based tactics, 1 out of the 3 elements that made the original game a classic is all that is left.

My advice to those considering buying is this, if your looking for a Warhammer 40k style table top battle system for the PC then this game rates an 8 out of 10 and you will love it. But if your buying this game because you want a modern UFO Enemy Unknown (UFO Defence in the USA), dont bother, your wasting your money. I am going to score this game based on its squad gameplay and give it an 8, if I was to score it based on what it should have been as a UFO clone, it would only have gotten a 4. So if you want UFO Enemy Unknown DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, but if you like squad combat and thats all you care about, you will love this.
  27. Oct 17, 2012
    One of the most anticipated games of the year for me so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Followed the developer videos and ads and liked the additions to the game and gladly, this feels like a true successor to the original. and here it comes.... However, this game includes some of the irritations of the first game. You carefully surround an enemy position and 3 or 4 of yourOne of the most anticipated games of the year for me so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Followed the developer videos and ads and liked the additions to the game and gladly, this feels like a true successor to the original. and here it comes.... However, this game includes some of the irritations of the first game. You carefully surround an enemy position and 3 or 4 of your squad have a 91% hit chance (or thereabouts), gleefully you click fire on one squaddie after another only to miss all round. With 91% hit chance? This problem does not seem to happen with the aliens who can happily kill their way through your entire squad. My problem is not that this happens, but that you get a hit chance which seems to be bugged or quite meaningless as this happens time and again. On top of this boy is this buggy. I have to control alt delete out at least once a session because a squad guys control becomes locked and will not respond. Perhaps once ever 2/3 hours. Another irritation is that sometimes you want to do something and try and click an option to do it. Your guy will path a completely different way. So it becomes a move save sort of a deal and writes off the ironman option I was keen to try. Dying to bad choices is one thing. To buggy controls is another.

But, for all that, this is a true successor to a classic original and worth persevering with. I very much like the "ant farm" base building and view in particular. The game does feel a bit linear at times and is in danger of being dumbed down. With tactical options for the player reduced and alien abilities that are frankly ridiculous at times. For instance, certain alien types have the right combination of movement and ability to be able whipe out entire squads with no recourse for the player. Unfortunately, sometimes they do and you just reload. Annoying as you have no recourse but they rarely seem to realise what they can do relying on massive accuracy and throwing you a bone with the odd blunder which feels like game developers showing the player a bit of charity.

I would like some more DLC to expand the potential and unlock some longevity in terms of making it feel even less linear but if the balancing I mention and the bugs are sorted out this is a classic that holds true to the spirit of the original while building on the concept in the right way. I was also expecting more strategic options from the base making it feel a bit more like a global campaign was taking place but this doesn't seem to be there and I am quite far in. Overall I am a tiny bit disappointed but not hugely so. I am expecting the bugs will be patched out which will help a lot and hope for future DLC to unlock more strategic options. This has the makings of a classic that people will be buying for many years to come, its just not quite there yet.
  28. Oct 28, 2012
    Its very good and addictive game, if you play at normal difficulty. If you thinking of trying classic, then dont. Its kind of impossible difficulty even for XCOM veterans. The game contains numerous bugs and spoilers, lets hope they get repaired soon. Worst is when you are in larger alien ship - the graphical engine constantly shows you other levels than you need to view. That isIts very good and addictive game, if you play at normal difficulty. If you thinking of trying classic, then dont. Its kind of impossible difficulty even for XCOM veterans. The game contains numerous bugs and spoilers, lets hope they get repaired soon. Worst is when you are in larger alien ship - the graphical engine constantly shows you other levels than you need to view. That is embarassing. Id also prefer more diversity, the original XCOM has the element of surprise and randomness, which this XCOM lacks at the geoscape level. Expand
  29. Oct 28, 2012
    I played the original series with religious fervor when I was a kid. This game, while slightly different definitely hits the spot. I was very worried this game was going to be dumbed down and not as challenging as the original given the pattern of a lot of video games recently released for the masses. The bottom line is that there is some complexity that was in the original but isn't inI played the original series with religious fervor when I was a kid. This game, while slightly different definitely hits the spot. I was very worried this game was going to be dumbed down and not as challenging as the original given the pattern of a lot of video games recently released for the masses. The bottom line is that there is some complexity that was in the original but isn't in this but I've actually found that it just streamlines the game without really reducing the difficulty and the level of thought that needs to go into winning. If you are a fan of the original this is a MUST BUY. If you have played civilization and enjoy that game but aren't familiar with this series, this is a MUST BUY. I am playing on normal-ironman for my first play through. This means I basically have no saves. If I lose a guy he is gone, there is no going back and replaying the mission. Playing the game this way makes it incredibly intense. I can't wait for the DLCs!!!! Expand
  30. Oct 10, 2012
    I played the original X-Com UFO Defense, and Terror from the Deep. Firaxis has done a superb job in providing a game that is quite simply....just X-Com, there has been some polish in certain areas of the game of course and its moved up and met modern graphical and rendering standards but as someone that was a diehard fan of the originals as I play through the new one, I can't really seeI played the original X-Com UFO Defense, and Terror from the Deep. Firaxis has done a superb job in providing a game that is quite simply....just X-Com, there has been some polish in certain areas of the game of course and its moved up and met modern graphical and rendering standards but as someone that was a diehard fan of the originals as I play through the new one, I can't really see anything that stands out to me as a dire violation of the original games premise. Some might quibble about the lack of randomly generated encounter maps, but there seem to be plenty non-RNG ones that should keep people busy. Overall there is nothing about this game that is abusing my sensibilities as a fan of the original games, they didn't miss a hitch, anything they expanded on, or removed, from the original, is barely noticeable and has no impact whatsoever on the experience being just plain and simple XCOM for the current generation. Firaxis has done the one thing many "remake" developers have not been able to achieve, they've produced the exact same product I loved 20 or so years ago, they just made it prettier, more interactive and more exciting to play. All I can say is that the one reviewer that gave this game a 70 but said it was a great game and you should buy it is the ONLY reason this game's Metacritic rating didn't breach the 90 mark. If Firaxis releases an SDK, and considers some strong DLC offerings, I'll be quite happy to snap up both. Well done Firaxis, thanks for not screwing it up! Expand
  31. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, lets get it rolling...minor spoilers ahead. I'm a XCOM Veteran who played xcom, TFTD and Apocalypse pretty much at release. The original is (and probably always will be) the best game I've ever played. The new XCom comes quite close to that, albeit being quite different in many aspects. I'll quickly say how I feel about the game and then I'll address a few of the complaints some players have. Pro: - good feel of progression (research, foundry, officers school, skill tree, psi-lab)
    - combat mechanics make for fast, yet tactical gameplay
    - narrative much stronger than in the old game, though it's no "game of thrones"
    - Action-Cam can look great and usually adds to the atmosphere
    - new Mission types
    - IronMan-Mode

Cons: - no randomly generated maps
    - Interceptions have the appeal of an afterthought
    - Graphics seem a little outdated
    - Visual Bugs (Clipping)

I obviously love the game. I'm in my 3rd playthrough (which is usually a bit shorter than in the original game) and it just doesn't get boring. The new additions and the decisions to let go of some of the old mechanics were spot on, in my opinion. Many players dislike the fact, that you only have one base you can design for yourself. You still have a few more "bases" as the game progresses, but they're mere hangars for your interceptors. But that never bothered me, since that was one of the smarter approaches in the old game anyways and I think, the developers took that into account. I would always have just one main base (with 2 skyrangers max), since the skyranger had huge mileage. You could fly to a crash site on the other side of the planet and still hover and wait for daylight. I'd build small cheap bases early on, with the best radar available and 2 hangars for interceptors. So for me, nothing changed with the new XCOM in regards to my approach to basebuilding.
    Also the new base-building mechanic allows for quite some depths itself, due to the adjacency bonus and rising costs as you dig deeper.

But many criticize the "dumbing down" of the tactical combat,mainly due to the removal of time units. I, on the other hand, think the new 2-move system is actually more challening at times. It makes for a quicker and more action-packed gameplay, yes, but it also forces you to make some difficult decisions. The new reaction shot mechanic (overwatch) also works much better and can now be a very reliable tool. The addition of a comprehensible cover-system (although it took some time to really get the hang of it) really worked
    . At first, I was a little disappointed with the research tree, but if you take the foundry and the officers school into account it actually feels like there's more complexity than in the original (which, like TFTD, had some seriously game-breaking bugs .when it comes to research). The addition of complexity doesnt end there: The ability tree quickly blew away my initial concerns of what seemed like a rather limited array of abilites in the beginning. No aimed shot, no autofire? You will unlock similar abilites (though only with specific classes) and many more as you progress.

Yes, the class-system: what a good desicion to integrate that mechanic. I always love seeing that true and old RPG element being used in other genres. Don't get me wrong: XCOMs skilltrees don't have the same complexity like the ones of rpgs like dragon age, baldurs gate or diablo/titan quest, but they still allow for some synergy within the tree aswell as with other classes. So you can have different yet sensible approaches on how to skill your soldier. What still kinda sucks is intercepting UFOs. It wasn't spectacular in the old game and it didn'T really improve with the new version. Yes, just like in the old version, there can be some tension when your interceptor gets close to being shot down, but thats it when it comes to thrilling moments. There are some new additions, which quickly lost their appeal when I found out that instead of going with a cooldown system, the abilities were de facto consumables. But, and thats a another complaint, there are not many interceptions in the first place. It could get a little tedious in the old games, but they may have overcompensated a little in the 2012 version. On the other hand, there's no shortage of missions, just not many crash sites (maybe they aren't that satisfied with the arial combat themselves). The new mission types are a welcome addition, though not ground-breaking. But they force you to adjust your playingstyle which actually makes for a welcome change of pace once in a while. Which reminds of one more criticism: the lack of generated maps. I assume, that the coversystem called for some sort of consideration when it came to designing the maps, but I think this could have been solved. Overall a great game, simplified but not dumbed down, as many would have you belie
  32. Oct 9, 2012
    Great game, great atmosphere, and overall an exciting strategy game with a little action mixed in. This is not a remake of the original, it is its own entity. XCOM from 1993 was more of a Hide and Seek game, the new XCOM retains some of those elements, but there is a far greater emphasis on strategy. I am glad they decided to make this game, limited "hand holding" and more "oops IGreat game, great atmosphere, and overall an exciting strategy game with a little action mixed in. This is not a remake of the original, it is its own entity. XCOM from 1993 was more of a Hide and Seek game, the new XCOM retains some of those elements, but there is a far greater emphasis on strategy. I am glad they decided to make this game, limited "hand holding" and more "oops I clearly made a bad decision, which is why I lost". Yes, you can actually lose in this game, not only soldiers, you can actually fail to save Earth. Tips: Name soldiers after people you know, adds more significance to when they die, and they will die. Expand
  33. May 10, 2013
    A clever game for gamers that seek a challenge. It has a mediocre tutorial that does not fulfill its role, so the learning curve is steep and at the first walthrough you will be learning by mistakes unfortunately. If you are new to XCOM series you will like it more than the veterans, because this game is a much dumbed cousin of its elders. The game is quite addicting thanks to someA clever game for gamers that seek a challenge. It has a mediocre tutorial that does not fulfill its role, so the learning curve is steep and at the first walthrough you will be learning by mistakes unfortunately. If you are new to XCOM series you will like it more than the veterans, because this game is a much dumbed cousin of its elders. The game is quite addicting thanks to some RPG/RTS elements. The deeper you go the more new stuff you discover and new weapons. Other times the missions are nearly impossible to accomplish because you for example get thrown with little to no cover into a swarm of bazooka wielding giants. The natural part of the frustration is losing your men (and women heh) other times you will have to sacrifice newbies to get a clear shot for the captain. The game can be really hard even at normal difficulty setting so much so that if you`re new to this I highly recommend not selecting a higher setting than normal. The maps are fairly varied, not too much but just enough to keep going forward. There are also a few mission types, honestly here I was dissapointed. Overall the campaign is good, it proceeds just when it is about to get stale. Some strategy and thinking is required. I played 33hours to get through the whole thing, which is a huge number for a game nowadays. Moreso, the game is built the way that makes you want to beat it at least twice, because the first time you did not know the whole set of rules. Gaphics and music is okay. Overall lots of gameplay for this price so a 8.6 out of 10. Expand
  34. Oct 13, 2012
    An awesome game - difficult (on classic at least), complex and demanding. After terribly disappointing CIV V Firaxis finally released deep and fun TBS. There is a lot of decisions to be made and different setups to try out, but beware: the game will punish your severely for your mistakes - an approach that is the heart of old games from '90 and that is seldom found in modern titles. It isAn awesome game - difficult (on classic at least), complex and demanding. After terribly disappointing CIV V Firaxis finally released deep and fun TBS. There is a lot of decisions to be made and different setups to try out, but beware: the game will punish your severely for your mistakes - an approach that is the heart of old games from '90 and that is seldom found in modern titles. It is more in line with last UFO serie (Afterlight, Aftermath, Aftershock) than with the original, but that is not necessary a bad thing. The game is great, although not ideal - camera does not work well sometimes and is overall rather unresponsive. On top of that the variety of maps is poor and they become repetitive quite fast. Also I have no idea how moddable the game is and in the long run it is up to the mods to keep this game alive. This does not change the fact that XCOM is the best game of this year so far for me. Expand
  35. Oct 9, 2012
    a true spiritual succesor to the infamous x-com. a brialliant game that my as well along starcraft be the savoir of rts genre on the pc, a genre many claimed to be dying. This game, along with dishonored will keep you busy. PC gamers rejoice, x-com is here to stay.
  36. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. microprose´s x-com is beside MOO2 one of my all-time favorites.
    with little missing (base invasions, possibility to pick up enemy weapons, backpacks, ammo) this classic in modern clothes is the best game i bought lately. all kudos to the developers.

ps. bring back base attacks..
  37. Oct 15, 2012
    A great attempt by Firaxis to modernize the X-COM franchise. While there are some bugs, i have not encountered any game-breaking bugs yet after 20+ hrs of playing. Game has being simplified from the original XCOM UFO Defense but in my opinion its still pretty fun. From conducting risky flanking maneuvers against powerful aliens behind cover, to breaching rooms not knowing what is behindA great attempt by Firaxis to modernize the X-COM franchise. While there are some bugs, i have not encountered any game-breaking bugs yet after 20+ hrs of playing. Game has being simplified from the original XCOM UFO Defense but in my opinion its still pretty fun. From conducting risky flanking maneuvers against powerful aliens behind cover, to breaching rooms not knowing what is behind the door, the tactical gameplay is very enjoyable. On the strategic level, the game challenges you to juggle your limited resources but the main thing i dislike is how fast the panic levels of the countries can fill up, forcing most players to rush for uplinks and satellite coverage early in the game (satellite coverage will prevent abduction missions from popping up in that country, which is important for controlling panic) I like the good graphics and ambient effects but dislike the limited no. of maps (although they are mostly quite well designed) This game's combat music is nothing short of amazing, and the aliens sound effects/audio prompts does a good job at keeping you in suspense on whats behind the next corner. Overall i think this game is worth the money and everyone who is interested in tactical games should give it a go.

For those who slam the game because it is not XCOM UFO Defence with updated graphics, please be mature and rate this game by its own merits and faults and not because it isn't what you want it to be.
  38. Oct 18, 2012
    Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it'sPlaying XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it's all over, you begin to wonder why you ever lost touch all these years to begin with. 9.5/10 -- Solid execution, atmosphere, mechanics, and enough twists that this title isn't just a retread, it stands on its own two feet. Expand
  39. Jan 12, 2014
    A solid game, great graphics and sound. Good ui and easy to learn, good story and interesting. I'm not a RTS player but this game hits the mark and well. The only complaint I have was a minor glitch where the enemies shots would go through walls and objects and hit you, other than that its a great game.
  40. MJR
    Mar 29, 2013
    Okay I guess I should should start by saying that I have never played any XCOM games before this one so I really have no idea how they relate. That being said I have found this game to be absolutely awesome! I received the game through Steam when I pre-ordered Bioshock: infinite, which worked for me since I had always been a touch curious about XCOM but never actually got around to lookingOkay I guess I should should start by saying that I have never played any XCOM games before this one so I really have no idea how they relate. That being said I have found this game to be absolutely awesome! I received the game through Steam when I pre-ordered Bioshock: infinite, which worked for me since I had always been a touch curious about XCOM but never actually got around to looking into the game. Needless to say, I downloaded the game and was treated to a very welcome surprise in the form of a thoughtful, fun, and interesting turn-based strategy game. Everything seemed to click with the controls and I found the premise to be quite fascinating. What is probably most impressive about the game is the fact that it is so complicated yet completely accessible. I don't know where I would start to try to explain how the game works between the home base and the battle field but it makes perfect sense when playing. While the graphics aren't that great the gameplay more than makes up for it. It has been a while since I actually jumped out of my chair in triumph following the successful conclusion of a mission. If you like strategy games then you should try to find a way to give this game a try it's a rewarding and fun experience. Expand
  41. Feb 6, 2013
    Starts a bit slow, but as your investment in your soldiers increase, and when you climb the learning curve, things start to get very interesting. The highlight of my experience as a hardcore strategy fan was playing through the game on classic ironman. Tons of brilliant stuff in this game, would love some DLC for replayability!
  42. Oct 15, 2012
    The gameplay of the new XCOM easily justifies a 10, more than a 10 in my book. Unfortunately, the superlative gameplay is the only thing keeping me from bumping my review down to a 6 or 7. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm loving the game, but I've experienced numerous issues, many of which have made my missions more difficult than they should have been. I really hope they doThe gameplay of the new XCOM easily justifies a 10, more than a 10 in my book. Unfortunately, the superlative gameplay is the only thing keeping me from bumping my review down to a 6 or 7. I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm loving the game, but I've experienced numerous issues, many of which have made my missions more difficult than they should have been. I really hope they do a post-release patch in the near future, and I can upgrade the game to one of my all-time favorites. Expand
  43. Dec 19, 2012
    XCOM is basically a flawed classic, it needed to be made to reboot one of the best game series in the strategy hall of fame, but they have messed up in some areas, none of which spoilt the game for me. I bought my first PC as a teenager when the original UFO Enemy Unknown came out, it was that good... now about 15 years or so later the remake is out and it's pretty faithful while trimmingXCOM is basically a flawed classic, it needed to be made to reboot one of the best game series in the strategy hall of fame, but they have messed up in some areas, none of which spoilt the game for me. I bought my first PC as a teenager when the original UFO Enemy Unknown came out, it was that good... now about 15 years or so later the remake is out and it's pretty faithful while trimming down some aspects. The game is a lot faster paced than the original, whih is a good thing, but they took some of the freedom out of the game in doing so.... it was nice to fully customise loadouts in the original game, that is now pretty much gone and a very basic system replaces it...I don't really miss the action point system as the new mode it generally better. The biggest issues with the game are more to do with game balancing which can often be stupidly unfair and unrealstic, it seems a 90+% hit chance more often than not will statistically fail more than it succeeds, so feels like you get cheated by the game quite a lot..... Other main issues are to do with terrain problems with rendering, but most of that was fixed in the last patch. Expand
  44. Oct 9, 2012
    Well, at first it seemed alright, i would have originally gave it like a 6 or 7. But just as i was about to get off, i realized there was alot more to do. that bumped me up to like a 8. I saw the game being good because i could experiment with different stuff like equipment and tactics. But then that was about it. So just as im about to get off to write my review, im playing a mission toWell, at first it seemed alright, i would have originally gave it like a 6 or 7. But just as i was about to get off, i realized there was alot more to do. that bumped me up to like a 8. I saw the game being good because i could experiment with different stuff like equipment and tactics. But then that was about it. So just as im about to get off to write my review, im playing a mission to escort a scientist to safety. Just as im about to extract him, a hiding alien kills him with overwatch...that ended my happiness. And then the next mission after was a terror mission! Now get this. The only species of alien in this entire mission were chryssalids...now im not going to give away what they are if you are new to xcom, but lets just say too many of these buggers on a terror mission and not even maxed veterans can fully survive. So i lost 5 out of my 6 men while taking 23 of those little buggers with me. Thats when i decided this game deserves a 9. Not only does it create a challenge. But it has a good feel to it where you dont get bored. It gives you just enough uniqueness to think its something new. But thats where i think it may have a hard time. Today's kids drop anything they can't really beat the first or second try. Well ladies and gentlemen. If this is your first xcom. You aren't going to beat it your first or second try. Possibly not even your tenth. Then again i am playing on iron man...oh well. I'd surely recommend XCOM:Enemy Unkown to all players that enjoy a good challenge and have fun doing so. Expand
  45. Oct 13, 2012
    Let me just start out by saying this game had me hooked. I lost track of time, and before I knew it, 6 hours had passed, and I was starving. This game was incredibly addictive and fun. The sense of urgency was there, along with the frantic drive to decide which research project will save more of your troops, and a new dependency on choosing which countries to help, and which ones you haveLet me just start out by saying this game had me hooked. I lost track of time, and before I knew it, 6 hours had passed, and I was starving. This game was incredibly addictive and fun. The sense of urgency was there, along with the frantic drive to decide which research project will save more of your troops, and a new dependency on choosing which countries to help, and which ones you have to let go. I loved the dependence on tactical positioning, with cover and height advantages, to get the most out of your troops, and the leveling system of the squad was excellent. Singleplayer is excellent.

Now for what I didn't like as much. Multiplayer was weak at best. A fun distraction, but don't count on it being worth the purchase price. Singleplayer does have flaws as well. Not to get into spoiler territory, but I thought they could have done more work on the ending (more on the cinematic part/wrapping it up, as it ends rather abruptly IMO. Also, the enemies could have been more dynamic on the map. While they revealed themselves a good number of times, and that ruined my day on multiple occasions (when I was already fighting 2 cyberdisks, a pack of crysallids shows up), or I revealed a group of aliens while outflanking the group I was fighting, most of the time, it was a game of cat and mouse, with me being the cat. Not to say this wasn't like the original, but I just expected the aliens to be more dynamic, given the 18 year gap. This could be in part due to the small squad sizes, which, at the beginning is prohibitive, but by the time you have 6 colonels with plasma, 6 is all you really need.

Compared to the original, this game weeds out a lot of the tediousness of the first, while maintaining the strategic pleasure of the first. The only thing I would add would be the ability to pick up the equipment of your fallen soldiers, as I found it annoying when my soldier carrying the item I needed kicked the bucket, leaving me without it. Multiple bases in the original were mainly to expand your interceptor coverage, as my main base could have housed all the necessary buildings for building and researching what I needed (along with psionics and all that jazz). Considering that, limited to one base with interceptor bases wasn't a bad thing IMO. The exclusion of time units similarly was not a problem, as the 2 action system actually makes your individual actions far more important. In the original, you could go into a room, see it's full of enemies, take a shot, and then run back out again. Also, stopping your unit when you saw an enemy was a crutch. The new game succeeds it's predecessor in that regard, by making each action a crucial choice.

Overall, this game exceeds the original, which is to be expected of a game that comes out 18 years later. Multiplayer is fun, but not a reason to buy the game. Picking up dead soldiers equipment should certainly be added, but it was not a game breaker. More dynamic enemies would be appreciated, rather than knowing you're going to stumble upon enemies in this area, with little deviation (there was times they took me by surprise, but not many).
  46. Oct 18, 2012
    Lovely game. Been awhile since I've been glued to the computer for so long. It's not a full on redux on the original but it doesn't claim to be. Graphics are excellent. Gameplay is intricate and complex (if you play on classic) the only gripe is that it was too short! Hoping DLC's come out because i want more of this Game.
    Give it a shot you wont regret it.
  47. Oct 9, 2012
    One of the best turn based strategy games I have ever played. Ignore the hater and trolls, they are still stuck in nostalgia limbo to even make a thorough and non-biased review. The developers decided on a smaller squad to stress the importance of tension and making your squad actually mean something. The graphics are wonderful UE3 engine works well with this type of game and I like theOne of the best turn based strategy games I have ever played. Ignore the hater and trolls, they are still stuck in nostalgia limbo to even make a thorough and non-biased review. The developers decided on a smaller squad to stress the importance of tension and making your squad actually mean something. The graphics are wonderful UE3 engine works well with this type of game and I like the art style direction. This will ensure this game will age properly. Overall, this game is a masterpiece and should be a candidate for GOTY against Dishonored. :) Expand
  48. Oct 9, 2012
    Exactly what one would reasonably expect this game to be. Playable for new and young players, a breath of fresh air for people who liked the original series and the 3rd party spinoffs. This game was made in record time imo. It would be reasonable to expect a few more instalments in the near future .
  49. Oct 18, 2012
    Despite some minor issues like the consolized interface, XCOM Enemy Unknown is a worthy successor to the original XCOM game and one of the best strategy games I have played in a long time.
  50. Oct 15, 2012
    Simply put, in spite of many defects, this game is magnificent. The mix of combat tactics, base management, research, and basic rpg is an almost perfect combination which still keeps me longing to play more.
    Sure, the interface is extremely dumbed down (while in combat, I was definitely missing a soldier's list in the UI) and has evident usability errors (for example: basic shortcuts, common to every soldier, vary depending on the soldier's additional abilities, which prevents using them quickly and is just dumb), and a deeper base and research management would've been welcome. But there's still a load of variables to account for, and they're all tied in a string of consequences that will need accurate planning. And. The fighting is awesome. Sure, there are bugs (line of sight is not always clear, and sometimes hidden enemies can be targeted more easily than ones that are almost in the open) and even more missing features in the interface. But it's still deeply tactical and terribly fun. With a better interface and bugs fixed, this game would deserve a 10++.
  51. Oct 15, 2012
    A fun game that might have been a classic if it was a little deeper in the tactical combat and if the base command segments got some extra development time. Despite this, it's still a great, well-made--but light-- version of the original. There are noticeable though mostly trivial bugs and the UI is a little rough, but it still creates that "just one more turn" feeling. Definitely worthA fun game that might have been a classic if it was a little deeper in the tactical combat and if the base command segments got some extra development time. Despite this, it's still a great, well-made--but light-- version of the original. There are noticeable though mostly trivial bugs and the UI is a little rough, but it still creates that "just one more turn" feeling. Definitely worth playing, but it probably won't be a game you think about 5 years from now. Expand
  52. Oct 9, 2012
    Thank you Fireaxis. You dit it. We had high expectations, and you surpassed them. XCOm is one of the best games of this generation. Shut up and take my money!
  53. Oct 22, 2012
    I played the original back in the 90's for hours and hours on end, though it had its bugs it was a great game overall.

This new version has its differences, but I still find it very enjoyable. I would like to see some more of the options and depth that the original had though. Inventory, less hand holding, multiple bases, etc. Maybe that will come in an expansion pack but with everything tailored to work with the weak consoles I'm not going to hold my breath.
  54. Nov 19, 2013
    I must say this X-Com remake is WAY better than i expected. Sure it has been "dumbed down" compared to the classics, but it still feels authentic. the graphics are decent, the camera in the vanilla game is a little bugged and clunky (but can easily be optimized with some mods). The campagin itself is brilliant, addictive and fun, one thing that bothers me personally is the fact, that youI must say this X-Com remake is WAY better than i expected. Sure it has been "dumbed down" compared to the classics, but it still feels authentic. the graphics are decent, the camera in the vanilla game is a little bugged and clunky (but can easily be optimized with some mods). The campagin itself is brilliant, addictive and fun, one thing that bothers me personally is the fact, that you can only have one base and one Skyranger which makes keeping all the states happy, a pain in the arse. Another big minus ist the Multiplayer. It really lacks feature like an option to play together with a player against AI which a) shouldn't be that hard to include in a turned based game and b) would improve the playability and replayability of the game imense. But despite those minor issues, it's one of the best turnedbased strategy games since ages. Expand
  55. Oct 18, 2012
    I can't even begin to describe how good this game is. I'm not usually the type to go for the tactical RTS but Enemy Unknown is a wonder. This is the first ever XCOM game I've played, and although sometimes i lose pathetically, (started playing IronMan/Classic Mode) i can not stop playing. There's something mesmerizing in all those little driving mechanisms that comprise EU, that just keepI can't even begin to describe how good this game is. I'm not usually the type to go for the tactical RTS but Enemy Unknown is a wonder. This is the first ever XCOM game I've played, and although sometimes i lose pathetically, (started playing IronMan/Classic Mode) i can not stop playing. There's something mesmerizing in all those little driving mechanisms that comprise EU, that just keep me going, be it the story and setting (both of which are executed above par), the characters who are generic and expendable to the point when they get a promotion, and then suddenly, it's a whole new ballgame. The graphics and visual effects are satisfying, although some of the more "refined" players might take issue with that. The sound effects and music are great, and there's something about hearing a sectoid scream after being successfully shot, that makes me feel warm and giddy on the inside. I'm not too far ahead in the game but i strongly believe that this game is worth your money. I hope for a sequel or an expansion pack soon. Expand
  56. Jul 9, 2014
    Excellent game.

Hard decisions to make, punishes bad moves, makes you feel accomplished when you succeed. Game has high replay value due to randomization and various settings/mods.

Only reason its not a flat out 10/10 is minor annoyances. Such as if the last man with medkit gets wounded and some odd camera bugs.
  57. Nov 13, 2012
    Its a Good Game.. but over hyped.. its turn based squad strategy which is always fun, but I think this will lack long term appeal. Also the Gfx are a little lack lustre
  58. Oct 18, 2014
    I have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. TryI have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. Try naming them after your loved ones, and you'll get attached to them. That's the thing about XCOM, it doesn't trivialize death; it even has a memorial for your lost soldiers. Haven't played multiplayer, but singleplayer alone justifies the price tag. There are some lags here and there but they're minor. Come on, buy it NOW. Expand
  59. Oct 9, 2012
    Critics have said that turn based shooters are dead, but I think this iteration of XCOM goes a long way to prove them wrong. I can honestly say, without sarcasm or implications, that if the original XCOM were made today, this is what it would be like. It is a very faithful representation of the original, and if you were a fan (like I was), you will probably enjoy this as well. The factCritics have said that turn based shooters are dead, but I think this iteration of XCOM goes a long way to prove them wrong. I can honestly say, without sarcasm or implications, that if the original XCOM were made today, this is what it would be like. It is a very faithful representation of the original, and if you were a fan (like I was), you will probably enjoy this as well. The fact that the economy/base building aspect wasn't cut was a huge plus to me. Now, to be clear, there are a few changes/issues. Difficulty is not so high, and you won't have everyone die as soon as they step off the transport for the first mission (this can be either good or bad). The soldier voices are all bland American accents, and while it's a small thing it's jarring in a squad of international operatives. The loadout is a more simplified than I'd like, but not enough that it annoys me. Anyway, apart from a few minor issues I feel XCOM is an extremely fun game and well worth a look. Expand
  60. Jan 3, 2013
    Vintage fun, I'm thinking, but it is rather streamlined in comparison to its predecessors. I remember UFO: Enemy Unknown rather fondly. Still, it's very enjoyable to play, and kept me playing; "I'll do one more mission" then ... "where'd the last three hours go?" It has some things wrong with it; the camera tends to spaz out at times, and the grenade throwing mechanic seems to work likeVintage fun, I'm thinking, but it is rather streamlined in comparison to its predecessors. I remember UFO: Enemy Unknown rather fondly. Still, it's very enjoyable to play, and kept me playing; "I'll do one more mission" then ... "where'd the last three hours go?" It has some things wrong with it; the camera tends to spaz out at times, and the grenade throwing mechanic seems to work like it's attached to an elastic band ... and the combat options are terrifically limited, but this stuff didn't impede my enjoyment of the game, the more difficult game modes are ridiculous though and I refuse to play them. Tactics completely goes out the window and everything is boiled down to a dice roll, essentially, which makes all your tactics redundant, irrelevant and makes the game seem a bit stupid and unfair in the process. Expand
  61. Oct 14, 2012
    Before sharing my two coppers, I took some significant time to read through both good and not so good comments by the respected fellow gamers. And the truth is I agree with both points of view. You will notice either near-10 and near-0 scores, which is absolutely normal. For the guys expected to play the Xcom of the past with newly made graphics, I confirm this is not the case. For thoseBefore sharing my two coppers, I took some significant time to read through both good and not so good comments by the respected fellow gamers. And the truth is I agree with both points of view. You will notice either near-10 and near-0 scores, which is absolutely normal. For the guys expected to play the Xcom of the past with newly made graphics, I confirm this is not the case. For those judging the game as an effort to "translate" the concept with today's means and way the gamer has evolved (with all the pros and cons that this involves), I agree with your high scores.

To make a long story, short this is Xcom, with upgraded graphics and gameplay that (unfortunately) is not encountered today. Only the fact that a game focused on turn-based, non-10 year old-maniac-clicking way of playing deserves respect and should be supported if we want to see similar efforts in the future. This game is a proof that you can get gaming-satisfaction for using your head instead of your reflexes (and believe me, after 25 years of gaming, your reflexes are significantly reduced!), so a solid BRAVO with the relevant score by yours truly ;-)
  62. Oct 12, 2012
    The Good: Solid strategy and tactics game. Recreates the important elements of the original with the strategy and tactical layers working together, in addition to RPG elements. XCOM presents gameplay that has both depth and breadth.

The Bad: One of the worst hand holding tutorials I have ever seen in a game. The 'tutorial' seems to last for ever, hours, and should probably more aptly be called 'Story Mode.'

The Ugly: In an attempt to make the game look slick, and appeal to a wider audience, they employ many camera tricks to make the game look more action based and cinematic. While the concept is solid the execution was poor. Many times the camera is pointing at nothing interesting and the characters clip into walls and set pieces. Good idea, bad implementation.

Overall: Love it.
  63. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is simply awesome!
    As a fan of original series, I was a bit frightened when I first heard about remake of very classic of this genre. On the other hand, Firaxis proved couple times with Civilization franchise they know how to make turn-based strategy game fun, and they didn't fail.
    This game is simply awesome!
    Although this game has some weaker points (like low variety of missions, no HQ defending missions etc. etc.), this is how remake of cult game should look!
    I am looking forward to another sequels of this franchise by Firaxis.
  64. Oct 13, 2012
    As an old fan of the original XCOM game Im very pleased to see that this game brings the heart of the original into a real smooth and fun new game. That being said, its not the original game with new graphics, its a new game. That aside its just as captivating and time absorbing as the original. My guess is that there is over a hundred hours of fun in this game, so I see my money wellAs an old fan of the original XCOM game Im very pleased to see that this game brings the heart of the original into a real smooth and fun new game. That being said, its not the original game with new graphics, its a new game. That aside its just as captivating and time absorbing as the original. My guess is that there is over a hundred hours of fun in this game, so I see my money well spend. - My wife and job disagrees of cause. A solid 10 from me to a game that shows, that a good idea don't always involve MMO to become a great game. Sometimes the idea is so good that it can carry itself for over 18 years ;) Expand
  65. Jan 15, 2013
    I truly get a kick out of all the old-school X-COM snobs blasting this game for not being more true to the original. Its not supposed to be the original. There are certainly problems with the game. Sure, you don't get to use nearly as many troops in a mission as the original, and depending on the difficulty you choose, it's not nearly as hard. I found myself wondering why I couldn'tI truly get a kick out of all the old-school X-COM snobs blasting this game for not being more true to the original. Its not supposed to be the original. There are certainly problems with the game. Sure, you don't get to use nearly as many troops in a mission as the original, and depending on the difficulty you choose, it's not nearly as hard. I found myself wondering why I couldn't sell old weapons and equipment I was no longer using, and it bothered me that the troops from different nations all speak American English. But these are just quibbles. It is still a good game. It is a shame when people judge it through the rose-tinted glasses of youth. The old X-COM is difficult to play now, in terms of interface, graphics, and overall difficulty. This new interpretation of the game is streamlined, yes, but not necessarily in a bad way. Also if one finds this game too easy, I challenge you to take on the Ironman setting with the newly activated 2nd Wave options enabled, preferably on Classic or Impossible. There is no need to 'defend the honor' of the original X-COM; this is not that game. This XCOM is its own game, and quite a good one at that. Expand
  66. Nov 9, 2014
    Review of the "Elite Edition" (MacOSX)
    Turn-based strategy games are something of an outcast class in the present game developing environment. No publisher seems keen on investing in these. Firaxis, with their well known pedigree of impecable and all-consuming strategical games, changed the "Outcast" part for "Outclass" in this wonderful modernization of the future (of a past game).
    THE
    Review of the "Elite Edition" (MacOSX)
    THE GOODNESS GALORE
    They managed 3 things I think vital: There is no need to be a fan or have played XCOM to like this game; if you are an XCOM fan you will recognize and understand the changes made to this game; and they adapted TBS to be a heart-thumping bonanza of action kickasserie! (without sacrificing any of the methodical rhythm needed and cherished by fans of the genre, such as myself).
    All-around graphics are of a very high calibre. Detailed environments and creature models bring the world to life, ample customization make your troops feel unique in a way even more profound I have found on some (pseudo) RPG games, a well set tone and story development more than submerge you totally integrate you with the plight of a world facing a patently undefeatable enemy, unless you organize your meager initial resources (men and women, tech, money and time) to mount the best counterattack Earth are capable of, and give humanity at least a fighting chance.
    The game has been streamlined in the right places, such as merging facilities, limiting the size of your team to a 6-man squad more than the sometimes unwhieldy 20-unit troops, but vital aspects such as difficulty, strategy requirements and complex interactions between your resources are still gratifyingly intricate.
    Replayability is enormous, with 4 different levels of difficulty and the discenrning-masochist prefered choice: Iron Man. Which means you have nothing but the game's AutoSave to finish the campaign, therefore every choice you take is uncheangeable, so the stakes get so high they're airplane hazards.
    Best thing about the Mac version? The game is a stand-alone unit, so no need for any Steam nonsense (although you will get all the usual iTunes or AppShop foolishness if you buy the app or iOS version.)
    The game is fortunatelly very stable, so don't worry too much about crashes or glitches since there are only a few, but, as with any game, it's not free of issues...
    THE NAUGHTY BITS
    The environments will get "samey" on further playthroughs since maps will be re-used. There are no attacks on the XCOM base, which would have given Enemy Unknown such a thrilling level of added desperation to your already fragile situation. Some clipping will take place generating cheap deads on your team (or on aliens too for that matter, devaluing your efforts a bit) when they get detected, thus shot, through roofs or sturdy walls, which is not a big deal on most cases except on "Iron Man" where you depend so highly on not screwing up. The aircombat is primitive and uninvolving, and would've benefited the experience (and maybe the story) if it included more than basically just wishing your pilots well by clicking one button at a certain moment.
    CONCLUSION
    But these grievances have no real impact on wheather you should buy or not this game. You MUST. Earth and the TBS market demands it that you do... to give them a chance to survive.
  67. Oct 21, 2012
    Game is epicly Awesome!! It is a nice moderate RTS turn stylish game and I love it. It is new I have never played anything like it, an I an completely enjoying it! I can not wait till they do DLC or expansions or another one!
  68. Oct 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possible spoilers in review.
    Fantastic game, very smooth release (few bugs that I have encountered). I am now about a third through the campaign (classic difficulty); and find myself yelling at my soldiers on screen when they mess up (because I'd never miscalculate tactically, heh). I feel like, on classic, I am struggling to beat back the alien invasion and every move is vital. Being my first playthrough; if I didn't save often and then revert to said saves, I'd have already lost.
    I've heard this game is not like the original X-Com; I never played them though. However it is extremely tactically based on missions and has very good strategic development/deployment in the 'Geospace.' The graphics are fantastic, the UI is a bit unresponsive (mouse).
    The bad: some of the battle cutscenes are ridiculous. The shooter has no real LOS but still is able to fire and hit (although 2K says it's more of a graphic misrepresentation of what is really going on). When I have already broken a window/opened a door and go to shoot; it shows me breaking the window again before I fire; not very immersive. I am prior military and our tactics were to always engage with 3x the numbers, flanking, combined firepower and fields of fire. You only get to take 4 to 6 soldiers on a ground combat mission and only 1 aircraft on air intercept missions. The maps are also quite small so that you don't have to really hunt for the enemy. Also you only get one Strike Team (one Skyranger: troop air carrier) to manage per mission. I would prefer things to be bigger; maps 4x the size, multiple ships in air combat, and multiple Strike Teams. Squads in real life are about 10 men, with platoons being about 3 squads and companies being about 3 platoons (90 total men in a X-Com company). You would never send a Fire Team (half a squad) to clear a city block by themselves. Although I do understand adding more soldiers on a mission might weigh down the fast paced combat action; be a load on the computer; etc. Also, when hiring rookie soldiers you can't pick their gender or nationality but you can change their first, last, nick name, and appearance. But if a soldier goes down on a mission you can't pick up that critical medipak or stunner or grenade, etc. he was carrying and use it (no inventory system during combat).
    All in all, a very well spent $50. I can't wait to see what they do with expansions, DLC, and mods.
    men women nationalities ammo pick up items
  69. Oct 15, 2012
    In one word: Fantastic! To begin with, anyone giving this game a rating of 5 or less is not giving it the credit it deserves. Reading throurgh the poor score ratings, it becomes clear to me that folks give a 0 rating because of spite and because it is not an exact clone of the original. Of course there are differences between the original Xcom and this one, simply due to the fact that weIn one word: Fantastic! To begin with, anyone giving this game a rating of 5 or less is not giving it the credit it deserves. Reading throurgh the poor score ratings, it becomes clear to me that folks give a 0 rating because of spite and because it is not an exact clone of the original. Of course there are differences between the original Xcom and this one, simply due to the fact that we live in 2012 and not 1994. I am a big fan of the original but following the development team of the remake since it was first announced, I knew I had to keep an open mind towards a fresh and different design. And it turned out suprisingly positive! The devs succeded to keep true to the original spirit but created something fresh that works well with today's game standards. I have played around 16 hours by now and every minute I spend the game gets better. I actually stopped playing in Normal mode just after my first 3 hours and went into Classic Ironman. This is where the game really shines. You get the original feeling back, the suspense, the hope and frustration...but in a good way. You loose one of your well trained and nurtured troops, you make the wrong decision in helping a specific member state over another, you research something that should not have been a priority or you sepend the money in a project you should have spend somewhere else; all this might actually end up in you loosing the game and you will not be able to go back and undo it. You have to live with your decision and the feeling that you might actualy loose it is always present, from the very start to the finish. I can only say well done to the team of Firaxis. You have raised the bar once more after the already fantastic work with Civ V. You have given the turrn based startegy genre a fresh wind. Keep up the fantastic work! Expand
  70. Nov 2, 2012
    Pros: Absolutely spot-on evocation of the original's tense tactical missions. Great eye candy. Very streamlined gameplay (some say too streamlined, forgetting that the original could get very tedious). The research systems are interesting and the money system keeps you just strapped enough for a good challenge level. Cons: A few UI choices hides important data, for instance forcing you toPros: Absolutely spot-on evocation of the original's tense tactical missions. Great eye candy. Very streamlined gameplay (some say too streamlined, forgetting that the original could get very tedious). The research systems are interesting and the money system keeps you just strapped enough for a good challenge level. Cons: A few UI choices hides important data, for instance forcing you to tediously check the loadout of every soldier individually before deploying. The ending is lackluster. The soldier's dialog when they hear a sound cue between turns gets _very_ repetitive. Overall: A really great game! I had a lot of tense fun and this is very worthy of the name (whether XCOM or X-COM). Expand
  71. Oct 14, 2012
    Played at least 20 hours on the weekend, had to restart multiple times due to some really bad choices but I'm having a blast. Firaxis removed a lot of busywork like overblown inventory management of the original and thus streamlined this game but in a good way. My only real complaint is about the camera. It bugs frequently during the action scenes and fighting on multiple elevations isPlayed at least 20 hours on the weekend, had to restart multiple times due to some really bad choices but I'm having a blast. Firaxis removed a lot of busywork like overblown inventory management of the original and thus streamlined this game but in a good way. My only real complaint is about the camera. It bugs frequently during the action scenes and fighting on multiple elevations is very frustrating because often there is something (roof) clipping and blocking your view. Expand
  72. Oct 13, 2012
    An incredible reimagining of a classic. Firaxis have managed to identify all the things (with one exception) that made the old game great, while streamlining the tedious parts. What's particularly impressive is how they decided to make the tactical gameplay and soldier advancement DEEPER than the original game, rather than SHALLOWER, as is the tendency these days.

I'd love to be able to

I'd love to be able to rate this game a 10 out of 10, but two major things prevent me from giving it that perfect score. For one, the maps aren't procedurally generated as they were in the original. Rather, the game draws maps randomly from a large pool. Fortunately randomization of spawn points and other things as well as a large map pool to begin with prevents it from becoming boring. The second issue with the game is a bug where in some of the more vertically complex map, the ceiling flickers in and out, making it difficult to see what you're doing.
  73. Oct 16, 2012
    A good game that could be an outstanding one if it wasn't for the numerous bugs, the shoddy user interface and an unfinished feel. Despite these the game gets the important things right: the atmosphere is great, the choices are tough and the tactical combat satisfying.
  74. Oct 14, 2012
    The original XCOM was amazing, first game I played with a research tree (and you had to obtain certain alien artifacts before you could research them). Always meeting new aliens, no idea in advance what they could do. Got this remake Friday night. I'd logged 12 hours by Saturday evening. Loving it. While a few things (e.g. multiple XCOM bases) have been taken away, many new thingsThe original XCOM was amazing, first game I played with a research tree (and you had to obtain certain alien artifacts before you could research them). Always meeting new aliens, no idea in advance what they could do. Got this remake Friday night. I'd logged 12 hours by Saturday evening. Loving it. While a few things (e.g. multiple XCOM bases) have been taken away, many new things added including RPG progression for each character, ability to customize soldier's appearance, great in-game cut-scenes when you send-out a mission or land at a mission site as well as longer voice-acted scenes. Just FUN. Expand
  75. Oct 14, 2012
    Superb. Feels very much like the real deal but with an updated engine and annoying fiddles removed.

I noticed one review saying they hated it because you can't save everyone and you will lose countries. Well.. Yes... You will.. Sorry that's unavoidable. It's about winning the war, not the battles and figuring out which countries you can cope without is a big part of the game. Also of

Also of note in this is the way you get attached to your soldiers as you build them up. To the point where you actually feel really bad if one of your favourites dies, which is sadly likely. And this is what makes it a dynamic unfolding drama of your own making rather than a lot of the super-structured games where you just win win win.

The tactical combat in this is genuinely brilliant. Cover and the use of flanking is VITAL in this game and all the better for it.
  76. Oct 9, 2012
    Fun refreshing new strategy game. Pros - Makes you think, satisfying combat
    Cons - Random glitches(shooting walls, slanted positioned enemies), some aspects can be confusing.
  77. Oct 18, 2012
    Minor UI and lock up issues aside, this game has taken my interest away from other fantastic games due to its unique style and gameplay that we have not seen in years. Hard not to recommend. Every night becomes a battle with "one more game."
  78. Oct 16, 2012
    Unfortunately, it looks like this game is slightly shadowed by a small number of 'comic book guy' types that are trying to compare this game to something made in 1995, that really can't be compared to. Not having played the old xcom games (face it, they are ugly, and if you disagree, then why are you even trying this), I can rate this game without previous bias. So far after only playingUnfortunately, it looks like this game is slightly shadowed by a small number of 'comic book guy' types that are trying to compare this game to something made in 1995, that really can't be compared to. Not having played the old xcom games (face it, they are ugly, and if you disagree, then why are you even trying this), I can rate this game without previous bias. So far after only playing for a few days, this game is extremely addictive, and fun. It is hard for me to enjoy a single player game (usually get board within an hour), so it is rare and refreshing to play a game that takes me in, and this reminds me of the first time I played Civilization. I'm sure there are some bugs, but overall the game seems very well thought through, and I really like the design decisions on what you can build, customize, and choose. After a couple hours you'll feel like you're responsible with defending the earth from aliens, and that's pretty cool. If you're in doubt, wait a while and get it when it's cheaper. Expand
  79. Oct 9, 2012
    XCOM is true successor to original game! Unless you are butthurt HC/Elitist then you might think other way. If you have never played turn based strategy/action game rest assure you won't be disappointed! XCOM is awesome mix of tactical combat and strategic management of you base/research and etc. Sound is rock solid aside from generic solders voices. Graphics r great for this kind of theXCOM is true successor to original game! Unless you are butthurt HC/Elitist then you might think other way. If you have never played turn based strategy/action game rest assure you won't be disappointed! XCOM is awesome mix of tactical combat and strategic management of you base/research and etc. Sound is rock solid aside from generic solders voices. Graphics r great for this kind of the game. And Gameplay will get you hooked in no time. Replay value is tremendous. And if you want quick fix just jump in to the multiplayer. Highly recommend to all true gamers up there! Thank you Dev team and Fraxis for this great Take on the classic game! Expand
  80. Oct 17, 2012
    So here is a flawed gem.
    So here is a flawed gem.
    In so many ways true to the "spirit of the original" there *has* been dumbing down to streamline the gameplay (partly to cut down on 40 mins turns on the tactical map and massive complex infrastructure on the geoscape but clearly this has mostly been to fit the game on consoles) Gone are the big teams as sky ranger now only fits 6 (4 at start of the game) however the shiv tank is one slot now not 4, gone are having multiple bases worldwide although there are hangers for interceptors on each continent but only 1 skyranger at main base. Most of the soldiers stats are gone and AP's have been reduced to 2 (move and shoot, move and move or big move, there are some exceptions with the skill unlocks) And most of the toys have been locked into a soldier "class" speaking of which, the troops now are not general purpose grunts that have stats on every weapon type they are given classes early on which locks them into a weapon type (again less stats to worry about) and the inventory is locked in pre mission so if one of your guy drops (say your sniper) then no one else can pick up the sniper rifle.

And then there are the bugs.... OH so many bugs, this game could have done with at least a couple of months of QA and bug squashing. There's bugs with nearly every aspect of the game, some are just cosmetic amusements like xbox control highlights showing up on base GUI when you are running in mouse only mode, some impact gameplay such as making it difficult to accurately select the right tile to order a soldier to inside a UFO with multiple levels (they have a tendency to jump over the wall I want them to hide about and stand in the open on the other side on the lower level) and the UFO roofs tend to come in and obscure stuff forcing a camera rotate to see what you are doing and then there are bugs that can break the game outright such as the first time I played multiplayer my mate started to chat to me in my turn and then I killed one of his guys and his chat box broke stopping him from doing ANYTHING thus ending what was turning out to be a great little match, oh dear.

So why the high score? - Well the truth is the game is actually REALLY REALLY GOOD FUN!
    Yep, sure this game kind of makes the hardcore xcom fan in me rage a little that AP's are gone, the tactical was previously a "frightening foray into the unknown" and is now a chest high wall cover simulator (like playing a turn based gears of war) which sort of reduces it to a move here and cover creeping ambush style where as in the first xcom you would end up with a cluster**** of grunts all over the place trying to stay alive. So why is it so great? Difficult to pin down really, I mean on the technical side pacing is better, there is now genuine interaction with the environment (guys jump over walls, lean out around corners etc) and oddly enough the class based squad thing actually works (having spent so long with a mixed class team game like TF2 etc) and surprisingly enough although the inventory and multi role sides are gone out of the tactical side of the game it's actually LESS frustrating to play then the first (not sure at this point if that's just the 30 something me who is approaching it then the teenage me of the first game) as you get down to working with guys skills and abilities you have in the field.

You don't spend so long micromanaging your base(s) and the geoscape which was once the nerve centre of the game where you moved it round to select bases ufo's and missions is now a "click here for next event" button, that said there's still a robust tech tree to research, the usual autopsies and interrogations are present and correct and you still have to balance your finances between costs, expansion and getting new toys for your guys.
    Base building is quite interesting with adjacency bonuses forcing you to plan your base layout instead of just plonking anything anywhere and you have quite a lot of choice even if it's just a single base. Overall I can see where the die hard fans of the original game might be a little upset the changes that have been made make the game much more accessible to a larger demographic and by and large it actually pays off.
    I'm a real fan of the original but I for one am not disappointed in the game (apart from the bugs which I hope get patched out) - those that want to retread the original game with fancy graphics are served with the open source UFO AI game (also built on the unreal engine) which is also a great game and the contrasts are interesting to see as that game in a lot of ways is truer to the original XCOM then this is.
  81. Oct 14, 2012
    As much as I really wanted to enjoy this game, I'm finding it more and more difficult to do so. How can I shoot through walls? Where is the randomization that allows for the better gameplay? I'm growing more and more tired of replaying the same maps, listening to the terrible voice acting, and having to wait on stupid cut scenes. The squad consists of people from all around the world, yetAs much as I really wanted to enjoy this game, I'm finding it more and more difficult to do so. How can I shoot through walls? Where is the randomization that allows for the better gameplay? I'm growing more and more tired of replaying the same maps, listening to the terrible voice acting, and having to wait on stupid cut scenes. The squad consists of people from all around the world, yet they all sound the same. No random maps, repeating maps, no base building, terrible voice acting, etc...

Yet another disappointment. The only good thing about this is I got a copy of CIV5 with it due to the pre-order.
  82. Oct 17, 2012
    Please consider my rating an 8.5 (I'm a big fan of the idea of adding .5's to this system, and am still a bit confused how an overall user score of 8.1 can come about with everyone forced to give x.0 ratings. But that's neither here nor there.)

XCom: Enemy Unknown is a truly addicting gaming experience. Luckily (?) for this experience at least, I had not thoroughly played the original XCom back in the early 90's, so the lore of the game was new to me. Most of the negative reviews I've read are from people contrasting this game to the original. The game isn't without it's faults. There are some unusual bugs that pop up from time-to-time. A few have been very nearly game-killers (the inability to go through a door when the level has only one door you need to get your soldiers through, etc.) - but with so many firefight options (including later abilities to psionically control enemies) you can even get through the buggy levels. The other major negative I'd like to point out is the tedium that sets in after so many battles. One of the first things I'd like to see developed are new, more creative maps, because you do start seeing the same maps repeat over and over. While the levels are semi-random (you never really know where enemies or objectives are going to be located), the game play for any level is just the same. Locate the objective (usually a UFO to infiltrate, pedestrians to save, etc.), strategically place your soldiers in the most tactical positions, hunker down and shoot. What really makes this game for me is the building phase of the game. You are tasked with building facilities which allow you to construct new and varied weapons, armor, aircraft, satellites, and so forth. Your soldiers are constantly gaining experience with each fight, and although their skill trees aren't large (would love to see expansion here, too), it is ridiculously satisfying to level your crew up. With the ability to name and outfit them to your choosing, you really do feel like the CEO of a fighting machine. As such, you also become very invested with your troops, and when one drops in combat, it can be an emotional experience, because there are no reincarnations here. If a soldier dies, he dies for good. With that everlurking fear, how you strategically place troops on the battlefield becomes that much more important. You really do want to keep them alive. Watching a soldier fall who you've spent 20+ missions building up and training is excruciating, and can leave a serious hole in your roster. But crunch all you want, you'll build more! The graphics are really quite superb, I'm most impressed with the HQ build screen, a cut-away view of your facilities that is bustling with activity.

Even as I became a bit bored with the gameplay, I just couldn't quit, and still haven't, the game is definitely replayable thanks to a lot of random factors built-in. It's been a while since I'd purchased a game that became a MUST play after a day of work. And it's been a while since I've been so enchanted by the way a game works that I'm already hungering for additional content. If you can play this without thinking "Oh, this is dumbed-down version of the original", then you're in for a real treat. Buy this game, it's one of the good ones.
  83. Oct 10, 2012
    Despite some negative reviewers who can't approach nastalgia with an open mind, this is a game of its time. It has just the right mix of the original elements while ditching those things that would frustrate in the modern era. Those who are fans of the original and those who just want to see what the fuss is about should pickup this game. Those that wanted the original with a new skinDespite some negative reviewers who can't approach nastalgia with an open mind, this is a game of its time. It has just the right mix of the original elements while ditching those things that would frustrate in the modern era. Those who are fans of the original and those who just want to see what the fuss is about should pickup this game. Those that wanted the original with a new skin might consider booting up the old version as you will find change here that is good, but requires some perspective to appreciate. Expand
  84. Oct 25, 2012
    Amazingly addictive and challenging game. I loved playing the first XCom and this one surprised me by feeling like a real modern update that kept the same feel as the original. I would give it a perfect score, but there are some graphics issues that need to be fixed. You shoot through walls way too much, but that is my one minor gripe as the game is amazing and aliens fortunately cannotAmazingly addictive and challenging game. I loved playing the first XCom and this one surprised me by feeling like a real modern update that kept the same feel as the original. I would give it a perfect score, but there are some graphics issues that need to be fixed. You shoot through walls way too much, but that is my one minor gripe as the game is amazing and aliens fortunately cannot shoot you through walls. Expand
  85. Oct 9, 2012
    This is simply one of the best strategy games I own! So much fun in such a great package. Losing a soldier or failing a mission is all a part of the gameplay and is implemented even from the first mission. The customization of your soldiers brings losses to a whole other level as well. I love this game and will be playing it for a long time to come!
  86. Mar 18, 2013
    This an excellent (and thoroughly addictive) game. The turn based strategy of the missions was great fun, and although there is some room for improvement in several areas, I still had a great time with this game. I do think the game could be improved with AI that was a bit more intelligent (enemies never seem to be very smart about where they choose to position themselves), with betterThis an excellent (and thoroughly addictive) game. The turn based strategy of the missions was great fun, and although there is some room for improvement in several areas, I still had a great time with this game. I do think the game could be improved with AI that was a bit more intelligent (enemies never seem to be very smart about where they choose to position themselves), with better character development of your soldiers (they're shallow, no personality traits, thus I have no real connection with them at all), and with a bit more variety of stuff you can do back at base (starts to get repetitive just doing the same few things in between missions). I also think that while the story-line is pretty good, there's room for some stronger storytelling elements to be brought into the mix. It's an immersive game as-is, but if the story was a bit deeper, it would add to the overall atmosphere/feeling the game brings. I have never played the original X-COM (though I think I'll have to try it), so my review here has no elements of comparison to that, but are just based on this game standing alone. Expand
  87. Feb 8, 2014
    I've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strangeI've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strange camera angle. It is also rather slow during those scenes at times I'm thinking just shoot didn't I tell him to attack what's going on? Then he shoots finally. It also occasionally crashes for so no apparent reason. It could use another coat of polish but other than that it's a great game. Expand
  88. Oct 17, 2012
    The only ones who rate this game with negative scores, are old folks that can only compare directly to what is taken out of the old XCOM games. I think that says enough.

Pro's: + Very intense and exciting, backed up by a good usage of luck (might frustrate players who feel they aren't in control) + A lot of though choices to make, deep tactical elements, especially in battle + The

Pro's:
    + A lot of though choices to make, deep tactical elements, especially in battle
    + The combination of perma death of your soldiers, an excellent AI and a difficult setting, make up of a great experience
    + Allows for one of the best player-driven narrative I've ever seen.

- Some camera issues
    - Strategic layer overarching the tactical missions are a bit thin, and don't live up to the complexity and realistic feel of the game

I recommend this to anyone who has some love for hard-knock, immersive strategic games.
  89. Feb 19, 2013
    I have never played any of the XCOM games prior to this one so this review is from a "New to XCOM" view. This game is absolutely hands down the best turn based startegy game I have ever played and that is saying something being that I am a member of the PONG generation lol. XCOM Enemy Unknown (Hereby reffered to as XCOM) is very simple to learn (an absolute must in gaming in my book) asI have never played any of the XCOM games prior to this one so this review is from a "New to XCOM" view. This game is absolutely hands down the best turn based startegy game I have ever played and that is saying something being that I am a member of the PONG generation lol. XCOM Enemy Unknown (Hereby reffered to as XCOM) is very simple to learn (an absolute must in gaming in my book) as the User Interface is all point and click. Left click Right click nothing complicated about it. One does not have to take a class in physics to make the game wrok properly (ala IMPIRE). The turns in combat a re seamless. Very compelling gameplay. I played this thing for 3 straight days 14 hours a day and did not want to stop each day. I liked the soundtrack as well. I normally turn off the music to all video games I play but this one I forgot to and found that I liked it. I enjoyed the storyline, it kept me interested. there were some critical reviews in ref to the combat and the AI in some of the reviews that are accurate. There is definitely room for improvement. We should be able to recruit the class of soldier we want as opposed to the AI choosing for us. More item slots should be available to all soldiers as the last time I checked a soldiers L.B.E. carried more than one item. Overall though I did not lament the 50 bucks on spent on this game and that is rare. A+ game in my book. Expand
  90. Jan 27, 2013
    Really been waiting for this game to be released and did not get disappointed. Just have to set the expectations right towards this one. It was not meant to be a 1:1 remake of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown". Yes it got a little different, but they've made a good job on it. Gameplay is fluent. Base building, researching, training soldiers, graphics, sounds, everything pretty well done, fun to playReally been waiting for this game to be released and did not get disappointed. Just have to set the expectations right towards this one. It was not meant to be a 1:1 remake of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown". Yes it got a little different, but they've made a good job on it. Gameplay is fluent. Base building, researching, training soldiers, graphics, sounds, everything pretty well done, fun to play and also having some replay value due to the different difficulties and game modes. So why not 10/10? For example cause of the way aliens are roaming and how they are getting triggered during missions. If you come in sight to discover some of them on the battlefield, the hole alien pack will always get a scripted free reaction movement allowing them to run away, take cover or do whatever. Such script makes combat feel a little less like actually fighting against aliens, but rather fighting scripts, damaging the atmosphere. Also as a dedicated player of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown" i really hoped for some more complexity in this game. Anyways this game is good and since it sold well there sure will be a second one that will most likely get even better. Hopefully also including some more complex game modes for hardcore players then. Expand
  91. Oct 13, 2012
    Well done Firaxis! Amazing work. I would have rated with 95%, however rounding gives a 10. I have over 20hours of gameplay and haven't encountered a single bug. I don't know, since when I had to see something like this. 1990s or when? My only point of criticism or better nostalgia is the ability of the aliens to invade your base... Most of the concept has been reworked and overall improvedWell done Firaxis! Amazing work. I would have rated with 95%, however rounding gives a 10. I have over 20hours of gameplay and haven't encountered a single bug. I don't know, since when I had to see something like this. 1990s or when? My only point of criticism or better nostalgia is the ability of the aliens to invade your base... Most of the concept has been reworked and overall improved e.g. no more insane macromanagement is needed. Micromanagement is a lot more tactical and action orientated and a lot less logistic. It is definitely the best turn based strategy of the decade. Keep up the good work Mr. Solomon! You managed to revive Microprose from its ashes. I gave you a 10, but now we are expecting to see XCOM: Terror from the Deep. ;-) Long live turn-based strategy games! Long live XCOM series! Expand
  92. Oct 15, 2012
    It's been a long time since we got a good turn based game on the PC, brings a tear of happiness to my eyes.

Also, needs more different shades of pink, so i can rice out my squad.
  93. Jan 14, 2013
    A great strategic game, one that forces you to make decisions that will effect your game. A refreshing break from all the dumed down sequels that are out there, you have to actually think and plan your assaults. Not perfect by any standard, but alot of good tatical game play.
  94. Oct 9, 2012
    This is a 10 for me. It is fun to play not tedious like the original. You can spend hours playing and actually enjoy it. It is somewhat simplified compared to the original but that is not a bad thing. Great graphics and cut scenes while playing, a lot of tech to research, money management, base management and of course awesome missions that are the meat of the game. Bottom like if you areThis is a 10 for me. It is fun to play not tedious like the original. You can spend hours playing and actually enjoy it. It is somewhat simplified compared to the original but that is not a bad thing. Great graphics and cut scenes while playing, a lot of tech to research, money management, base management and of course awesome missions that are the meat of the game. Bottom like if you are looking for a complicated and hard core strategy game than this is not it. If you are looking for a fun yet challenging strategy game this should be on your TOP list to try. Expand
  95. Oct 10, 2012
    Very good..a lot like the 1993 version which is a game i would play for hours on end,has almost all the things I used to to dream that version had..it is a little simpified compared to the 1993 version..but hey thats our fault we stoped calling friends and family out for being too stupid to fact check things and we let them be intelleculay lazy well this is the end result and it willVery good..a lot like the 1993 version which is a game i would play for hours on end,has almost all the things I used to to dream that version had..it is a little simpified compared to the 1993 version..but hey thats our fault we stoped calling friends and family out for being too stupid to fact check things and we let them be intelleculay lazy well this is the end result and it will continue to be so ..games that takes brains are long gone..so enjoy your ride into idiotacracy .. Expand
  96. Oct 12, 2012
    The original X-COM updated and expanded to a level that will make you cry... If you are a fan of the original, sure this new version will satisfy all this years of waiting and bad clones...
  97. Oct 17, 2013
    I am not a turn-base game player, but this one caught my eye. It was on sale at steam for around 10.00 USD. I jumped on it. I can't put it down. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because I play on easy mode since I am not to familiar with TBS games, but as it turns out, the game becomes difficult, very difficult.
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at the level I am at.
    Warning: Do not name your soldiers with Family names. You will end up restarting and becoming sad when they die. LOL
    Great game. If it ever goes on sale at Steam again, grab it. Don't pass this one up
  98. Oct 20, 2012
    Хочется от души поблагодарить разработчиков за то, что далиХочется от души поблагодарить разработчиков за то, что дали возможность почувствовать то самое удовольствие, которое дарил классический X-COM. Игру прошел на одном дыхании. И уже хочется засесть за нее снова. Супер! Expand
  99. Oct 14, 2012
    As a fan of turnbased games I really appreciate this game. A very solid game overall. After all I just think that they wasted a lot of potential in this game, in terms of character progression, different level styles and tactical possibilities.
  100. Oct 10, 2012
    Don't let the nostalgic grumps fool you. They beat off to reams of tables and pointless micromanagement and wouldn't know good, solid game design if it had its way with their cat. This game is extremely good and is head and shoulders better than the original. Only nostalgic people and toothpick-counting sperglords have reason to complain.

The only truly bad change is the weird

The only truly bad change is the weird "encounter script" where the aliens run for cover.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.