8.2

1. Apr 17, 2017
    I'd been aware of the XCOM series for some time, but it never interested me until I tried the demo for Enemy Unknown, but even that wasn't enough. It took a love for Darkest Dungeon and a realization that there were a number of turn-based games I'd enjoyed over the years, when I had previously just told people that I don't like them. So I waited for a sale and grabbed the complete pack.I'd been aware of the XCOM series for some time, but it never interested me until I tried the demo for Enemy Unknown, but even that wasn't enough. It took a love for Darkest Dungeon and a realization that there were a number of turn-based games I'd enjoyed over the years, when I had previously just told people that I don't like them. So I waited for a sale and grabbed the complete pack. Coming from DD, XCOM is both more forgiving (especially if you use the Save Scum modifier) and significantly more tactically complex. I had some experience with squad-based tactics from Dawn of War II, though this is on a smaller scale: You are limited to a single squad and control each soldier individually. It also uses small, often single digit numbers for damage and health, something it has in common with DD, combined with visual bar sections, making it very easy at a glance to see where you're at tactically. There are certain tactical shortcomings that I'm told are addressed in the sequel, such as not knowing wether a position you are moving a soldier to will give them a view on potential targets until they get there- but i've also heard its much harder to get a guarenteed hit in the sequel, even if your trooper is pressing a gun to an enemy's face. Ups and downs, I suppose.

Enemy Unknown has layers of complexity that few other games have, though series veterans will still tell you its "dumbed down." Individual soldiers are highly customizable both in their abilities and appearance, especially if you have all the DLCs. You can name them, give them medals, and arm them with a variety of extra goodies. They start out as pathetic FNGs with the accuracy of the on-screen Stormtroopers of Star Wars, and dont even have a class, which they are assigned the first time they rank up: Assaults, Heavies, Snipers or Supports. These four classes are further split by players into two subclasses based on perk choices, though you may mix and match perks to your liking. However, you CANNOT respec your soldiers: choose perks carefully. With some planning, luck and maybe a few reloaded saves, they become apex examples of what human warriors can do- some of them may even become psychics. Then you can take them beyond that in Enemy Within, granting them genetic enhancements or cybernetic augmentation. XCOM resonated with me very strongly in this regard: Evolution is a powerful weapon indeed. One of my very first recruits from the post-tutorial mission, my first Support, went on to be my Volunteer. These are not just random grunts. They are your disciples. Their stories are yours.

Combat can go very smoothly or completely sideways, and the difference can be as subtle as the positioning of a single trooper, or which soldier you place on "Overwatch" (Which causes them to fire upon the first enemy that moves within their vison during their turn) You must take into account flanking, elevation, line of sight and variety of other factors. This variety increases as you level your soldiers and their capabilities expand, as do the variety of enemies you face. One of the most useful such capabilities in my experience has been a perk for Snipers called Squadsight, which permits them to fire on any target visibile to another XCOM soldier, so long as they also would have line of sight to that enemy. Properly positioned, this enables the Sniper to hit targets from across the map: as my first Sniper did when he saved the afforementioned Support from a Chryssalid on the now-infamous "Site Recon" mission. When things go right in XCOM, it is immensly satisfying. When they don't... oh boy, do they not.

XCOM is an incredible, in-depth experience and I enjoyed it from the first mission to the very last. It is easily one of the finest games of this decade. It permits you control of your characters in a manner that would be more common in a traditional RPG, and the random elements become less of a hassle as you progress, as the time and effort you put into your soldiers' development pays off as they become nigh-unstoppable post-human super-warriors that puts EDF's Storm Team to shame and would give Commander Shepard's crew a run for their money. I found myself with the same fondness for them that I had for my heroes in Darkest Dungeon. It is clear that an uncommon degree of care and respect went in to Enemy Unknown's creation, with its purely asthetic "highlight camera" when making a killing shot and its excellent soundtrack. More big-budget releases could benefit from its example, and it can be played as casually or as intensively as one prefers, thanks to its range of difficulties and modifiers. If you enjoy squad tactics games, turn-based RPGs, or strategy games of any kind, I encourage you to try the demo. I understand that it offends the sensibilities of XCOM purists, and as such a person as regards to other series I totally get where they're coming from: but Xenonauts exists, and from what I can tell they should just play that.
  2. Mar 27, 2017
    Coming back to this game after playing the second one, it is a tighter experience overall and does not need mods to give it a feel of pressure like in XCOM 2.
  3. Mar 14, 2017
    ¿Quieres un buen juego de estrategia, "difícil" y con una buena historia?, este es tu juego.

Es complicado hacer un análisis de un juego de estrategia (sobre todo para un amante de este genero) ya que hay muchas cosas de las que hablar, pero intentare abreviar para no alargarme demasiado, pero siempre tocando cada uno de los puntos que considero esencial. Historia: Una historia, que

Historia: Una historia, que sin ser muy original, cumple muy bien con su función.

Control: Normalmente es excelente, pero tiene algún que otro problema cuando se trata de altura (quieres a un personaje arriba pero sin querer pulsas abajo...).

Variedad: Hay bastantes unidades, tanto aliadas (humanos con diferentes clases, híbridos y robots) como alienígenas (tanques, voladores, guardianes, atacantes,etc), además de variedad de armas, armaduras y mapas.

Dificultad: El comienzo es bastante complicado, las unidades mueren muy rápido, tienes malas armaduras y armas, por no decir que no tienes prácticamente opciones en cuanto a las habilidades de las unidades, y se hace bastante difícil que no mueran unidades en un comienzo, pero cuando consigues endurecerlas por los combates y por tener nuevo equipamiento, he de decir que en pocas ocasiones he tenido miedo de perder alguna unidad.

Repetitividad: No nos vamos a engañar, es muy difícil camuflar la repetitividad en los juegos de estrategia, y aun mas difícil hacer que no sea repetitivo, y este juego... lamentablemente apenas consigue lo primero. Logra mantenerte enganchado durante bastante tiempo probando cada una de las cosas nuevas que consigues a medida que vas jugando, pero una vez que has visto todo te deja una sensación de "vacío", ya que siempre se juega de la misma manera, tener la mejor equipación posible y jugar lo mas defensivo que se pueda.

Duración de la campaña: Yo he tardado 25 horas para ver y probar practicamente todo lo que ofrece el juego y terminando la historia, no obstante, se puede tardar menos si vas mas rapido, si simplemente te centras en la historia, o por el contario, puedes tardar aun mas que yo si quieres probar y hacer cada una de las cosas que ofrece.

Multijugador: Esta parte suele ser "importante" en este genero (lo pongo entre comillas por que depende mucho del juego y de la persona que este jugando), y lamentablemente no os puedo decir nada de el, ya que no lo he probado.

Gráficos: Este apartado es el ultimo por que es el menos importante en un juego de estrategia, pero siempre hay un mínimo aunque este sea bajo. En este apartado el juego cumple, y mucho.

Todo esto se junta y hace de este un juego de estrategia prácticamente obligatorio para todos los amantes de este genero, he inclusive, es un juego que puede gustar a aquellos que no se suelen acercar mucho a este genero.

No obstante, considero prácticamente obligatoria la compra de la expansión, ya que si no el juego queda muy vacío.
  4. Dec 21, 2016
    Fantastic game.
    Love the turn-based strategy.
    Fantastic game.
    Love the turn-based strategy.

Love the strategically scarce resources -- can't buy the stuff you really want (i.e. what you need to build laser and plasma weapons), and can't harvest enough resources to build out everything you want/need all at once. Makes you feel on edge the entire time, unlike its namesake 1990's predecessor in which you could essentially run a money-printing manufacturing operation to buy everything you want.

Love that it's not possible to handle every alien threat at the same time like you could in the game's predecessor. You make your decisions on how to handle what you can based on trying to manage the world's perception of you and what rewards are being offered. Again, puts you on edge the entire game. No sitting back and feeling comfortable.

Love the story, learning about the aliens' motivation (hint: it's not the classic "harvest the planet" alien invasion story) which also explains why there's a progression of difficulty.

Scalable difficulty makes the game more accessible, despite the fact that it can get pretty hard even on Easy mode.

Love "Iron Man" mode -- makes it so you can't just save at good points and load when things go wrong, you have to live with your decisions. Playing that way, even on Easy the game gets really hard.

Love the squad customization, rank advancement, abilities and team-building strategies.

The only thing other than occasional glitches that I don't like about the game is that there aren't enough unique stages. Chances are you'll end up doing a mission on the same stage as one you did previously at some point in the game. The stage design is really good -- dispersion of cover, destructible objects, plenty of ground to cover and search for aliens -- but there aren't enough of them. The original XCOM: UFO Defense didn't have that problem, because stages were procedurally generated. I can imagine that would be possible to do while still maintaining the appearance of good stage design, but they chose not to do that. Makes the game feel stale on the second, third, nth run through it.
  5. Oct 8, 2016
    really cool and unique strategy game with a lot of depth. This is a must have for every fan of the strategy genre! It's really frustrating though when you lose that character that you had since the start of the game : (
    And sadly there are also some **** mechanics that can screw you over really easily : /
  6. Jul 30, 2016
    My first game in the XCOM franchise and certainly hope it wont be my last. The difficulty can be harsh sometimes or maybe all the time, but that what makes the game better. All in all, a wonderful game.
  7. Jul 12, 2016
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown and its addons are de facto re-issue the game UFO Defence game 1993 year edition. Established Firaxis Games and published by 2K new game turned out pretty not bad. The basic details and the scenario were simply transferred from the 1993 year game: as the war with the aliens, turn-based tactics, tactical role-playing elements.
    The mission of the player is protection the
    The mission of the player is protection the planet from alien attacks, their operations on the ground and in the air. For ground operations under player control will be a special detachment. It is replenished by hiring for the money, so long as you have money and you will have recruits. But a large number of detachment on base senselessly because the operation can only use a limited number of soldiers 5 in the original game; 6 in addon Enemy Within. After successful operations soldiers who took part in the operation may be promoted in rank then become available new options and opportunities. The game has 4 classes of soldiers, -heavy infantry, support, assault, sniper and unique class - psionic - a soldier who has psionic abilities. The soldiers of different classes differently armed and have different skills. What classes to use depends on the player and his chosen tactics. Battle goes step by step: the player and the enemy take turns. During the battle each fighter can perform two actions (move / open fire / reload weapon / etc.). To win, the player has to fulfill the mission goal (to clean the area from aliens, rescue civilians or hostage). Enemy are various forms of aliens - their number, skills and capacity increases according to the game passage. To destroy alien aircraft, XCOM need to buy aircrafts, but unlike the recruits its construction takes time.
    The player has a secret base. In a bunker is a research center, engineering department, a command post, a hangar for XCOM aviation, satellite control center, barracks, etc. The player decides which conduct research, what structures build, what type of equipment use for soldiers who will took part in operation. Project XCOM financed by 16 countries. Due to aliens attack, if XCOM ignore countries request of help, country can leave project. If 8 countries leave project - player lose.
    Since the game is turn-based tactics not possible not to pay attention to the entourage of battles in XCOM. The battles with aliens take place throughout the planet and the question remains, why the location is almost indistinguishable from one another. The same cars, houses, people in Beijing, in London, in Cairo, in Lagos. This is pathetic, seems what game was created not a company with over 100 man crew, but several people who raised money on kickstarter.
    Despite some disadvantages, the game still came worthy sequel to the original game of 1993.

8. Jun 22, 2016
    Long content, all customizable, multiple situations to explore and really well done. Cant raech 10 because it gets a bit repetitive after the hours. Go ahead g2a and try is 5 euros or download the demo
  9. May 22, 2016
    Just finished. Although must admit It took a while for me. Maybe because I didn't follow what I was supposed to do. Heck I build a foundry and uncovered a whole bunch of upgrades and units I could make only towards the end of the game. By then my soldiers were beefed up so I managed. Gotta give it credit because it was kind of addictive. Great ending too.
  10. Apr 29, 2016
    I didnt play the former XCOM before, so I came into the game without any previous impacts. But I can understand the critics: unfortunately the game was written for consoles and you can see it on 2 things: the graphics is really old, this is how games looked like in 2010, but not 2012 or 2013. In addition the controlling was not good enough for a PC game.
    If we stay in the negative
    If we stay in the negative aspects, I can add some more:
    What annoyed me, was the few informations you get to make decisions. As if the programmer didnt want to overinform us stupid gamers...I needed to look a lot in XCOM Wikia to understand, what effects my decisions will have. In addition you need to load often during a mission, because you never know, if your soldier will have vision after changing your position. This game means a lot of fun in the beginning, but after 15 hours, you see through many mechanism and the missions begin to look similar.

But the game has some very good sides: The gameplay itself is complex and for me motivating. They present you the story very well und you really want to protect the earth because of the aliens.

Result: A good game, but you need the addon, because it makes the main campaign much better
  11. Mar 29, 2016
    I wanted to like this game but ended up uninstalling after a few missions. I was spoiled by the original. way back when, I suppose, and this game barely pays homage to the original. Yes, it's turn based. Yes, it involves aliens attacking Earth and you sending "custom" squads to defeat them in various locales. Yes, it has limited action/move points per turn and makes good use of "cover"I wanted to like this game but ended up uninstalling after a few missions. I was spoiled by the original. way back when, I suppose, and this game barely pays homage to the original. Yes, it's turn based. Yes, it involves aliens attacking Earth and you sending "custom" squads to defeat them in various locales. Yes, it has limited action/move points per turn and makes good use of "cover" and "oversight" mechanics to determine firefight outcomes. I liked the level design even if I didn't like the style of the graphics, which i admit is entirely subjective and not a big determinant of the real objective value of the game. Yes, the program ran fine on my modest system, and seemed to be technically "clean" in my case. That gets it up to about 40% in my books, but to get higher marks from me, the game has to be clever, engaging, challenging, and most of all fun . I didn't find these things like others did. I found that the game relied more on "cheating" to make the playstyle challenging, rather than a real intelligent A.I. I found it to be frustrating to use the best possible moves, mathematically speaking, only to be defeated at the goal line by unbelievable and "cruel" odds. The choice of "dice-roll" success/failure as opposed to a real feeling of skill impact was the single most frustrating thing for me. I soon found the game to be frustrating rather than fun and ragequit/uninstalled after a particularly unbelievable run of luck on the part of the a.i. destroyed my (better by far) strategy in seconds. It was almost as if the devs were saying "Here, we just rolled boxcars 6 times in a row, and you LOSE, Jack... it's called STRATEGY...." it sounds childish, I know, but my frustration was that personal. Maybe it was just my particular taste, or my gamer's need to feel a sense of fairness in a strategy game, but I didn't like this one too much. Sorry, folks, not quite a pass for me as pretty as the game is. I get the feeling that this is another one of those games that you either "get" or you don't, and I am sorry to say that I don't. I am giving it a revised score of 50% because when i look back on it now, the engine, level design, interface, and game mechanics were quite well done in my view, so there was some skill and effort put into the game for sure, it's just that the fun factor wasn't ever really there for me personally. Expand
  12. Mar 20, 2016
    There is a good game somewhere in there, buried under a thick layer of incompetence. The developer clearly lacked the brain power to flesh out the tactical aspect of the game. They reducedthe tactical formula to a roll of the dice. From a technical standpoint, the game is glitchy, with enemies capable of shooting behind walls, which essentially renders what is left of the tactical aspectThere is a good game somewhere in there, buried under a thick layer of incompetence. The developer clearly lacked the brain power to flesh out the tactical aspect of the game. They reducedthe tactical formula to a roll of the dice. From a technical standpoint, the game is glitchy, with enemies capable of shooting behind walls, which essentially renders what is left of the tactical aspect useless.An embarrassing effort. Expand
  13. Feb 24, 2016
    Great game on normal difficulty, but at classic and above it's hideously broken and causes bitter anger!
    I've carefully inched my way through a building, clearing it totally, then positionto hit the next room....Then BOOM!!! 3 Thin Men materialise right behind my sniper and one shot him.
    I've thrown battle scanners and they reveal a clear area, with enemies at the far edge. So I advance, then BOOM, 3 mutons materialise right in the middle of my squad. Enemies shouldn't jump from position to position, it makes it impossible to come up with a battle plan and instead makes you set up a shooting gallery and hope you survive the waves of attack.
    I skillfully and precisely position myself so that a precision grenade opens a killer shot, then interface error makes me grenade my own troops.
    90% arc thrower failing 3 times in a row. The RNG is awful - it feels more like it had to pick every number 1-100 once before it resets. I play poker so I understand chance and this does not feel at all random.
  14. Feb 24, 2016
    This game is relly good and really fun. It is a bit different animal than the original from 90s'. But it is cool. It requires a brain. It looks good. It plays nicely. The downsides are a bit limited gameplay in comparison to the original and the need to finish the campaign soon. The game starts to get difficult quite fast, so you are pressed to progress fast. I am not so sure I liked that.This game is relly good and really fun. It is a bit different animal than the original from 90s'. But it is cool. It requires a brain. It looks good. It plays nicely. The downsides are a bit limited gameplay in comparison to the original and the need to finish the campaign soon. The game starts to get difficult quite fast, so you are pressed to progress fast. I am not so sure I liked that. Apart from that, very nice gaming experience. Firaxis made an excelent job in honoring the original classic. Expand
  15. Feb 23, 2016
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown starts like how a good strategy game should start, and thankfully, it ends like how a good strategy game should end. Or at least, some parts of it.
  16. Jan 16, 2016
    This game is decent as a whole, but suffers from hastly development and flaws such as dumbed down mechanics as well as limited options on the RPG side of things. The exciting part comes when you discover your new, good weapons, such as the laser ones and plasma, which are miles ahead your standard balistic weapons as well as leveling your classes for the first time and exploring the newThis game is decent as a whole, but suffers from hastly development and flaws such as dumbed down mechanics as well as limited options on the RPG side of things. The exciting part comes when you discover your new, good weapons, such as the laser ones and plasma, which are miles ahead your standard balistic weapons as well as leveling your classes for the first time and exploring the new skills makes you keep playing it.

More specifically, some of the features I found sad were, having only 4 classes that are random while only 2-rows of skills to choose from when you levels up. Where's the variety in that if I can't have more stuff to choose for my specialists? After the initial 4 guys that are all scripted to have a different class each, your next rookies are sooner or later gonna receive a class you already got accustomed to. In addition to that, the story is something you expect and not anything different that older alien-related titles.

Overall an okay experience if you're playing it for the first time, but gets quite boring as you advance on the story as well as on the next playthroughs.
  17. Jan 11, 2016
    CAUTION: This game feels good, intuitive, logical and brilliant when all is going as planned or when their are no artificial intelligence shenanigans going on that confound you as a player. However, when it hits the fan (primarily the programming) you will literally want to quit playing as soon as possible. I don't think I've ever been more confused by a game where you can be behindCAUTION: This game feels good, intuitive, logical and brilliant when all is going as planned or when their are no artificial intelligence shenanigans going on that confound you as a player. However, when it hits the fan (primarily the programming) you will literally want to quit playing as soon as possible. I don't think I've ever been more confused by a game where you can be behind cover, on the roof of a building and an alien can literally shoot and kill you from a fourty-five degree angle on street level because random number generator. Part of my problem with turn-based role-playing-games has always been the same problem: Improbability. Or more specifically? Total balls to the wall poopy bull crap percentages and random number generation "tactics." Its insulting the its former- the original "UFO" as well, since in that game it took a fair amount of planning to actually get the ball rolling in especially any combat situation. It was a challenging game, but it made SENSE. Enemy Unknown however quite honestly doesn't. Its interface is aesthetically very unpleasing, the visual design for most things in the game look very childish considering the subject matter, and the rules it establishes early on change on a whim making the player feel completely stupid even after they thought they'd grasped the most basic of mechanics. Cover for instance, is not made clear at all. What is cover in this game? Are large cement slabs or BLOCKS not going to count as cover? What angles are the correct angles to take cover in if aliens can hit you through obvious WALLS or when you're tucked in the corner of a building? Or reaction shots and alien aggro groups- is it fair that I have to run up to a pack of aliens one tile at a time just to get them to scurry about and INSTANTLY shoot at the squad member who aggro'd them in the first place? That's not how the original worked at all and its embarrassing. The graphics alone are enough for me to wretch my guts out in disgust. I've never seen an engine so underutilized, its visually disgusting on just about ever level and far below the quality of most unreal engine 3 titles. The soundtrack is generic and nowhere near as amazingly simple as the original games freaking midi score. The voice-work, while okay, and conveys what's actually going on, is strangely the only thing in the game I enjoyed. Of course you can play the game how you want to as well and that's important. Sometimes that's all that matters to people, but if the game doesn't give you the proper tools to enjoy it, or makes it quite obvious how much they've basically "removed" from the original series, than it can never ever be considered a classic by any means. I expect this will age like a long burned out dog turd in a lunch bag on the porch of a deserted house. Expand
  18. Jan 8, 2016
    Having played the original UFO, this is like a remake but with much better graphics and gameplay. In my view, this is the best game I have ever played. Really enjoyed the turn-based battle and management aspects of your base.
  19. Jan 7, 2016
    (English and Italian Review)
    Good strategic game. I played ufo: enemy unknown back in the day and this game is a good successor.
    The fighting system is turn based but is not too deep and runs quite fast. Recomended for anyone not only strategy lovers because the strategy part of the game is not too deep. Nowadays i find it quite cheap for less than 15 Euros or less. Un buon gioco di
    (English and Italian Review)
    The fighting system is turn based but is not too deep and runs quite fast.

Un buon gioco di strategia. Ho giocato al vecchio Ufo anni fa e questo capitolo è un degno successore. Il sistema di combattimento è strategico (a turni) ma non troppo complesso...il che permette combattimenti veloci e non appesantisce troppo le partite. Lo raccomando anche a chi non è un patito degli strategici perchè non risulta troppo complesso per i neofiti ma offre comunque soddisfazione a chi mastica pane e giochi a turni. Compratelo: si trova nei negozi ed in rete a prezzi bassi sotto i 15 euro.
  20. Dec 29, 2015
    The game feels as "almost finished" - buttons for soldier commands change their position after a command is issued, positioning of camera is sometimes ridiculous even in static moments and nauseating when you try to point with mouse where you want to throw grenade or fire rocket - the viewport moves rapidly and the size of transition seems kind of random.

The game does not push you to

The game does not push you to use all possible technology advances to keep up with aliens, not at the normal level. You're constantly running out of resources and the scientists had nothing to research for about half and a month. The advantage from capturing live alines was quite limited.

The visual style from research reports is shoddy - no alien picture, no details, no fun.

The number of equipment slots for soldires is too low - why I shoud choose between a vest (worn on body) a scope (mounted on firearm) and grenade ? Does not make any sense.

...
  21. Dec 24, 2015
    Solid tactical game with a strong feeling of retro inspired mechanics. Simple but pretty addictive, this game has brought some emotions up that other games of this generation lack ability of.
  22. Dec 14, 2015
    This is a remake of 1993 XCOM UFO Defense which is very well done yet lacks some strategic depth of the original.

The good: - in many things, the game tries to stay very close to the original - more alient types, including heavily armored robots - all aliens and your soldiers have new special abilities - more weapon types, including shotguns - great music, some tracks remind Deus

The good:
    - in many things, the game tries to stay very close to the original
    - more alient types, including heavily armored robots
    - all aliens and your soldiers have new special abilities
    - more weapon types, including shotguns
    - great music, some tracks remind Deus Ex Human Revolution
    - great graphics
    - the story is accompanied with many cutscenes and voiced comments from your staff, which helps build drama
    - great detailed tutorial
    - mind control requires the target to be in sight (no more mind controls at the very first turn)
    - you can research additional upgrades to weapons and other things in the Foundry building

The so-so:
    - 2 action points instead of 50-70 like in the original, soldiers normally just walk once and shoot once. This takes away some depth yet makes you camp less
    - can only take 6 soldiers in a mission instead of 14 -> faster turns but fewer tactical options
    - night missions have the same visibility as daytime ones, no flares -> easier, but micromanaging flares was fun and night missions used to be real challenge
    - a strange cover system: when a mob is behind an edge of a wall, it still can be shot at, yet with a high penalty. Most battlefields are filled with tree logs, groups of stones, stairs-like elevation levels which makes the battles mostly about running from cover to cover and staying on Overwatch
    - critical hits are important -> more randomness
    - soldiers have no stats (which grew from "usage"), instead the game randomly assigns them to specializations (sniper, heavy, assault, support). Specializations offer a few special abilities though
    - after getting max rank ("Colonel"), soldiers won't improve anymore (only psi abilities, if they have psionic powers), which doesn't let you train super-ninzas and forces you to send new soldiers to let them train as well
    - a few new types of missions which are heavily scripted and linear, usually with a turn limit
    - can only build facilities in one base, no storage limit, no ammo -> less micromanagement but feels too casual
    - mobs' facing doesn't play any role: they see equally well all around them, and attacks from behind don't inflict more damage (though usually a mob won't have a covering object behind it and will be considered "flanked")
    - no arctic/desert/jungle maps but many varied urban maps
    - a soldier can take just 1 extra item (e.g.1 grenade) in addition to main weapon and pistol

The bad:
    - most battles are scripted and not randomly generated. Enemies appear when you pass trigger tiles and take a free move to get behind cover right after they appeared. Some fall directly from above (out of thin air) behind your troops, switching to Overwatch and pinning all your soldiers down. Some will run very close to you, all while you're waiting for their animation to finish. This takes away much strategic feeling as all your battle plans are trampled by script. Worse, it makes playing on higher difficulty or iron man mode pointless, as it feels unfair to lose when you didn't know in advance a scripted situation
    - camera always tries to zoom in on the next selected soldiers which is very annoying if you want to keep camera zoomed out for a tactical overwiev
    - camera sometimes fails to correctly detect the tile under the cursor -> it may take many attempts to open a door with V key (and rotate the camera for that a lot), or sometimes the solder will run to a wrong tile which is on a different floor and visually behind the one you wish to go to
    - if a soldier sees an enemy during movement he doesn't stop and can even lose sight of the enemy by the end of the move (it was the same in the original XCOM but there you could walk tile-by-tile, and in JA2 soldiers stopped when seeing a new enemy)
    - no base defense missions
    - although everything is destructible you can't shoot at objects, except if your weapon misses an alien and hits an object instead, or you throw a grenade or fire a rocket launcher
  23. Dec 9, 2015
    This is one of my favorite pc titles in years. Mercilessly difficult on higher settings, especially with the Ironman setting (No save-loading).

Never played the previouits X-Coms, so this one was a surprise. Easy to get wrapped up in this one. Invariably you'll be faced with difficult choices, you may have to sacrifice a soldier for the team, leave one behind in a hasty retreat, or choose which country to abandon to alien abduction and invasion.

Can be frustrating. You will learn to hate Thin Men if you don't already.

Some missed opportunities and bugs but the pluses are too numerous to list and outway the detractors.
  24. Dec 2, 2015
    It has been a great many years since I have been so compelled and drawn in to an IP as deeply as I have been with XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

A re-imagining of the classic if infamously counter-intuitive XCOM series, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a highly interactive, highly immersive and surprisingly replayable game with hundreds of hours of gameplay to be had. The story is interesting and

The story is interesting and well-told enough for you to really be drawn in without becoming overbearing or cripplingly long-winded or cryptic.

Perhaps one of the strangest things about this game though is how strongly you as a player become attached to your troops. Even to the most unimaginative of folks, players can't help but form little backstories and personalities to their characters and care about them as a Commander most likely would.

The expansion pack also adds a significant amount of content, both in terms of story and in terms of new units and upgrades.

All in all, this game has done a great job of reviving the dying genre of turn-based strategy and has quickly become not only my favourite game of 2012 but one of my favourite games of all time.

If you've been curious about the upcoming sequel and wonder if the first game is worth giving a go, I would wholeheartedly shout YES!
  25. Oct 11, 2015
    SO GOOD!...SO TERRIBLE! SO FRUSTRATING!

The thing about Xcom is that the mechanics themselves are fantastic, they really are. The turn based squad strategy is fun, the overall research/building strategy is fine. The problem lies only in two elements: 1. Difficulty settings. 2. Random Number Generators. Let it be said, if you're fairly casual with strategy and you play this game
    SO GOOD!...SO TERRIBLE! SO FRUSTRATING!

1. Difficulty settings.
    2. Random Number Generators.

Let it be said, if you're fairly casual with strategy and you play this game casually on "normal" setting, the game is absolutely fine. No problems there. This review is not for you then, just ignore. That's just not for me.

If you're very serious about strategy, you'll almost certainly find "Normal" difficulty too easy and "Classic" fitting in general (at least if you're only planning one playthrough). Sounds great, right? Could have been except for one thing: the variance on Classic. Everything is a roll of the dice, which is fine, but the variance is insane. You can do everything right and still lose the game in one brief moment of bad luck. I'll illustrate the problem with this one scenario that actually took place for me:

Turn 1. Your squad arrives in the woods. You move them into defensive positions just in case you're being charged right off the bat. They're all in cover, they're all in Overwatch (guarding). Three aliens attack, the squad takes down the first one. The second one uses a skill that automatically deals 1 damage, it hits one guy.
    *BREAK* Let me here say that one damage is nothing, it really is nothing.
    So, the guy who got hit with the whopping 1 damage rolls a dice and panics. He panics by turning to his right and trying to execute his friend standing right next to him because... well, who knows. It's the standard panic reaction in this game. He rolls another dice and misses from point blank range. Just can't hit. Well, fine you think, but alas. Behind him is a seasoned veteran, a captain who has seen many battles. He rolls a dice too, he also panics. Now, he has taken 0 damage, he has merely seen one dude take one damage. Well, he handles panic in the same way and decides to execute one of his friends. He chooses your best solider (and medic) and nails her right in the back of the head with a critical hit, killing her instantly. End turn one.
    Turn 2. Bring up menu, quit game.

Things like this just happen, they just do. You can restart the mission whenever they do, but it wears you out. Or it did with me. Worst thing is, they could fix everything wrong with this game so easily.

1. rebalance panic.
    2. remove critical hits.

Just those two things would limit the variance to a degree where the game would feel hard but fair. It's really all they needed to do and then the game would probably be a 10.
  26. Sep 22, 2015
    Glad I waited till this game came down to $10. The problem I have with it is that it takes control of my computer, I can't leave the game when I want to. These developers must be complete control freaks. I'm not really seeing anything that hasn't been done and there's just running around the base zooming in and out of crap which could have easily have been done with a simple menuGlad I waited till this game came down to $10. The problem I have with it is that it takes control of my computer, I can't leave the game when I want to. These developers must be complete control freaks. I'm not really seeing anything that hasn't been done and there's just running around the base zooming in and out of crap which could have easily have been done with a simple menu interface. The gameplay itself is ordinary, it only rates well because of the lack of games in this genre. It would be good free but at $10 I feel ripped off because I'm just not enjoying it. Expand
  27. Aug 10, 2015
    Loved this game but:
    enemies do not move until you approach them
    Inventory is gone
    missing some rpg elements
    missions are too similar

Overall the game is fun and enjoyable
  28. Jun 24, 2015
    A fantastic game, that puts the strategy from Civilization series and management from any type of tycoon game, put in some aliens and the world to take over and eliminate the world, and you've got a fantastic and hard game, I have been waiting to buy this game and I must say it is the best strategy game I've played, although the game does encounter bugs and glitches which may bother youA fantastic game, that puts the strategy from Civilization series and management from any type of tycoon game, put in some aliens and the world to take over and eliminate the world, and you've got a fantastic and hard game, I have been waiting to buy this game and I must say it is the best strategy game I've played, although the game does encounter bugs and glitches which may bother you while playing, its a good game to play Expand
  29. Jun 4, 2015
    I just wanted to address this, that this game when ever I went into soldier loadout or customisation I could get out of it and had to quit my game. Even if I got sent there to promote the soldier I couldn't get out. I tried every button but it didn't work. I still loved the game but this just makes it "sad" since I want to customise my characters. It's sad. I hope I'm not the only oneI just wanted to address this, that this game when ever I went into soldier loadout or customisation I could get out of it and had to quit my game. Even if I got sent there to promote the soldier I couldn't get out. I tried every button but it didn't work. I still loved the game but this just makes it "sad" since I want to customise my characters. It's sad. I hope I'm not the only one that has experienced this. Expand
  30. May 19, 2015
    A squad-based tactical game that makes the most out of it's quite simple mechanics. Outside of combat you manage the overseeing operation - a nice peace of micro management between combat missions. Combat is basically cover-based, turn-based and probability-based gameplay. Easy to understand mechanics but the AI will challange you with tactics and numbers. The special thing about XCOM isA squad-based tactical game that makes the most out of it's quite simple mechanics. Outside of combat you manage the overseeing operation - a nice peace of micro management between combat missions. Combat is basically cover-based, turn-based and probability-based gameplay. Easy to understand mechanics but the AI will challange you with tactics and numbers. The special thing about XCOM is the way the game promotes a feeling of significance for every single action you take. whether you move a highly trained veteran soldier from cover to cover while enemies take potshots or choosing the next facility to build or research to undertake.
    Graphics are in a somewhat cellshading style and will age well, though lacking any amazement factor. Sounds are solid and underline the "enemy unknown" atmosphere well.
  31. May 19, 2015
    As a fan of the xcom games I was a bit scared, when I read that the game should become "more accessible" to a larger audience. But what a great job the developers did!!! Still has a lot of depth and is a lot of fun to play. One of the best turn-based-strategy games I know.
    But after playing this game twice, unfortunately there is not much replayabillity
  32. May 1, 2015
    I`ve never spend more hours on a game then xcom on my steam library. This game with the long war mod makes for the best game i have ever played. It is unforgiving and at the same time really enjoyable. I love turn based games and this one is one of the best.

Reviewers who give this game lower then a 7 should spend some more time with it. Or it might just not be for you. I would suggest playing a game that is less demanding and more forgiving.
  33. Apr 2, 2015
    OK, I haven't played the original XCOM, so you at least won't get to read about me harping on and on about how great it was by comparison with this version. XCOM Enemy Unknown is a fairly enjoyable strategy game where you are in charge of an organization tasked with defending Earth from mysterious alien attacks. You'll be spending most of the game controlling a squad of hand-pickedOK, I haven't played the original XCOM, so you at least won't get to read about me harping on and on about how great it was by comparison with this version. XCOM Enemy Unknown is a fairly enjoyable strategy game where you are in charge of an organization tasked with defending Earth from mysterious alien attacks. You'll be spending most of the game controlling a squad of hand-picked soldiers in various missions where you respond to alien incursions, and amidst all of this, you'll also be trying to manage your HQ and building up your resources while trying to keep your member countries happy by keeping their panic levels from getting too high, as well as trying to find out the ultimate reasons for the alien invasion.

Pros:
    - Game plays smoothly and has been entirely bug-free for me over about 40 combined hours of gameplay or so. Not a single crash that I can remember.
    - Fun building up and developing a squad of soldiers with specific skills to suit your strategy. Fancy playing with two support soldiers, one a dedicated medic and the other a rifle jockey? Or a tank type assault soldier with 3 long range snipers backing him up? Go ahead!
    - Ironman mode is a nice extra challenge for people like me who don't believe in reloading from a previous save when a mission fails. This allows you only 1 saved game slot which automatically updates during the game and only allows you to save when exiting the game.

Cons:
    - Limited number of maps for missions. There are a couple of forest areas, city areas, spaceship areas, factory areas, and that is about it. Maybe about a dozen different maps in total. No map randomization. Gameplay tends to get quite repetitive after a while, primarily for this reason.
    - Tedious movement in some areas. Some maps, like the inside of large alien spacecraft, have long empty corridors which can be an absolute pain in the butt to move all 6 of your soldiers along turn by turn. Some areas also have multiple levels which mean your soldiers are obscured by the floor from the level above until you scroll the mouse down to their map level to view them properly. When your soldiers get their next turn, the display has reset itself, meaning you have to scroll your mouse to view the level your soldiers are on again. Aarrrghhh!
    - Little freedom to play as you choose, as you have to advance the current date in the game and wait for events to happen first before responding to them. Panic levels high in the UK and you need to do something to reduce them? Tough. You can do squat about that unless you happen to get a specific mission there, such as an alien abduction to respond to. The game also forces you to follow the main storyline as soon as possible as the missions start to get more difficult (and repetitive) fairly quickly, so you are often left feeling a bit rushed throughout the game.
    - Limited soldier development and loadout options. Apart from cosmetic appearances where you can change the colour of their outfits and their haircuts etc, there is little to distinguish one Colonel-ranked sniper from another. Soldiers can be from a number of different countries yet all speak perfect English with a nice American accent (I believe this was addressed in the DLC XCOM Enemy Within though).There are only 2 skills you can generally choose each rank (sometimes just 1) and inventory is ridiculously limited to just a few slots, mostly for weapons and 1 extra slot for the backpack, which will typically be for a grenade, medkit or protective vest. A couple of the soldier classes grant an extra backpack slot at higher levels but that's about it. What makes it more frustrating is that the game mechanics do not allow you to retrieve gear from any fallen soldiers during a mission. Urgently need an extra grenade or medkit and your dead buddy just happened to have both in his backpack? Tough.
    - Unbalanced difficulty levels. The game has 4 difficulty levels - easy, normal, classic and impossible. Most people will play on normal or classic. The problem is that normal gets too easy after playing for a little while and classic is too difficult. All the aliens get bonuses to their aim and critical hit chances in classic mode and tend to one-shot your soldiers, especially in the early part of the game.
  34. Feb 22, 2015
    Overall: a good game but certain core mechanics stop it from being a great game. It is repetitive and in the late game it can become monotonous fending off an easy alien attack while waiting for a research project to get done.

At times glitchy, the pacing is affected in both tactical and combat situations when short cut scenes play everytime your character misses or scores a critical hit. It's good for when you're in between games or want to do a casual tactical game. Otherwise, it doesn't present enough challenge, variety, or smooth gameplay flow to make it a strong, day in, day out game.
  35. Feb 19, 2015
    Xcom enemy unknown is the newest addition in the Xcom series. While it remains a solid tactical squad based strategy game, it does not live up to the lofty presence of the original Xcom.

The series, for those unfamiliar with it, is based on leading a secret covert operations group, known as Xcom, as it attempts to secretly defend earth from an alien invasion. The game does allude to all of this being top secret, which seems a bit ridiculous as you play through the game, but that doesn't really matter to the gameplay. You act as supreme commander of the Xcom project, managing and building up a base of operations, sending out satellites to detect alien presence, managing the happiness of funding countries, researching and leading squads of up to six soldiers into battle that can then be leveled up as they gain experience.

The game, like any other game, has evolved with its modern iteration. It is a sharp, fun and responsive squad based strategy game that has streamlined a lot of the annoying micromanagement features of past games, but has also simplified things and put a cap on squad member leveling up. It is a more accessible, but simpler game than past generations. That is good for the casual player, new to the genre but a detractor to seasoned players who enjoy the complexity.

The game, in the most basic sense, plays like this. You have a base that you expand with various modules that you can build into your secret mountain hideaway. As you research new technologies new modules open up for upgrades or more efficient research. You launch satellites to gain funding from the various nation groups across the globe and to spot alien incursions. When incursions happen you deploy a squad of soldiers into a tactical, squad based "seek cover and advance" type gameplay that dictates a methodical approach to combat. As missions are failed or ignored panic will rise. Victories reduce panic. There are a handful of main story missions for advancing the game that are unlocked by certain milestones in the game, but the vast majority of missions are procedurally generated battles with aliens. There are basic research items, but as you kill aliens and do autopsies, capture and interrogate aliens, or shoot down and capture alien ships more research items are unlocked to gain better weapon and armor and new gadgets.

There are four basic classes. Assault, heavy (machine gunners), snipers and support (medics) which each have their own skill trees that you can utilize as they level up. All four classes are needed across the game to face different situations. Medics to stabilize downed squad members, snipers to provide cover, heavies to deal huge damage in short bursts and assault troops to act as front line combat soldiers.. Later in the game psionic abilities are added which add some more variety to your soldiers, but psionic abilities are rare and only have three tiers.

The aliens you face are variations on a few base models, but the variations offer enough change that the game continually changes and evolves as you proceed. New challenges are thrown at you every few missions that force you to think more carefully about how you combat the alien menace.

The game looks good. It won't blow anyone away. It has its own style, but nothing that really sticks out as uniquely distinct. The technical side of the graphics are good enough and slightly better than your run of the mill top down game. Sound effects are well done and add to the experience and the voice acting is well done with squad members reacting to the battle.

The controls on the PC are very easy to work with. Consoles are also surprisingly good, though moving the cursor around with the joysticks can be slow. The iPad controls are cumbersome and you can end up moving soldiers to areas you don't mean to because you have to press an area twice to move there.

If you like squad based strategy games you I would highly recommend Xcom, even in its simplified version. If you don't like strategy games I would say Xcom probably isn't for you. The game can be pretty brutal, and may frustrate you as your favorite squad members are killed. Overall, a good game for strategy fans that may fall a bit on the simple side for veterans of the genre.
  36. Feb 18, 2015
    If you've never played a turn-based tactics game, this is the one to pick up. The difficulty options allow for anybody from a total amateur to a hardcore expert to have a well-balanced experience. It isn't too short or long either, and has enough randomization that someone who loved it could replay the game and love it all over again.

The story isn't much to write home about, and the

The story isn't much to write home about, and the characters are little more than sketches, but there's enough game here to please anyway. I also with there had been a bit more variety in the units (both friendly and hostile) as well as the mission types, but I'm sure that the inevitable sequel will have those things.
  37. Feb 5, 2015
    To put it succinctly, PLAY THIS GAME. I came into this game not knowing exactly what to expect, and I was absolutely blown away. this game is incredibly fun and addictive, with excellently nuanced gameplay. If you mess up in this game, it is your fault. The game almost never cheats you out of a victory. I can't say it enough: play it. Play it. PLAY IT.
  38. Feb 2, 2015
    Constant crashing to desktop, a nonsensical save game order, uselessly fast and clunky mouse wheel scrolling, a WAY overcomplicated menu traversing process to obtain one simple piece of information, and occasionally glitchy camera spoil what is still a decently fun turn-based strategy game. Great quality models, animations, maps, music, and gameplay mashed together into somethingConstant crashing to desktop, a nonsensical save game order, uselessly fast and clunky mouse wheel scrolling, a WAY overcomplicated menu traversing process to obtain one simple piece of information, and occasionally glitchy camera spoil what is still a decently fun turn-based strategy game. Great quality models, animations, maps, music, and gameplay mashed together into something resembling a playable game by confused utter incompetents that obviously struggle with basic logic and the simplest fundamentals of interface design make scoring this game very challenging.
    The elements that are great are really impressive, but the stupidly bad elements are tooth-grindingly frustrating. Whoever supervised and approved the incredibly clunky HQ UI and obviously piss-poor coding that causes persistent grief throughout needs to be removed from the video game industry immediately and forever.
  39. Dec 5, 2014
    Great game EXCEPT that in making strategically planned moves, the percentage calculator seems waaay off.. do these guys know what 65 or 75% actually means? almost all the time my guys (professionally trained soilders) can't hit the broad side of a barn to save their lives. I consistently see 6 of them miss a target at near point blank range. this happens far too often.. only to see themGreat game EXCEPT that in making strategically planned moves, the percentage calculator seems waaay off.. do these guys know what 65 or 75% actually means? almost all the time my guys (professionally trained soilders) can't hit the broad side of a barn to save their lives. I consistently see 6 of them miss a target at near point blank range. this happens far too often.. only to see them killed because you had expected and planned on the fact that they could hit at least some of the time.. my only gripe about this game, the rest is good Expand
  40. Dec 4, 2014
    Okay... really fast review, because there is no point in investing any more time in anything related to that game.

The game just plain sucks. The combat is trivial and boring, there is no depth to it at all. Whoever designed the enemies and the overall combat system should stick to coloring books. The UI feels like some bad console port and is miles behind... hm.. let's say Chaos Gate - a game nearly 15years older. You are constantly bothered with - rather ugly looking - cut-scenes, that only deliver no real information - or information that could've the player in a much better way.

Seriously, combat - **** building a base - boring, cut-scenes - annoying, graphics - okay-ish at best... the overall design of the game is just plain bad.

Oh and btw. I am not familiar with the previous games of the xcom series, so this is not a disappointed fan boy rant, but I genuinely rate this game 2/10, because it sucks.
  41. Nov 24, 2014
    A solid turn based strategy game that i am glad to see/play. Solid customization features. You definitely get attached to your squad so you definitely get upset when they get killed which is how it should be. Not overly complex which some may like and others not, but you can definitely ramp the difficulty up until it is painful.
  42. Nov 21, 2014
    It's an OK game. I guess it's the modern, console version of a great game. As such it's limited by the user interface and the attention span of its target market. Squad size is maxed out at six, and that feels difficult to manage with the 'click x to select next soldier', instead of clicking on his portrait. Research is very limited compared to the original. You are stuck with one baseIt's an OK game. I guess it's the modern, console version of a great game. As such it's limited by the user interface and the attention span of its target market. Squad size is maxed out at six, and that feels difficult to manage with the 'click x to select next soldier', instead of clicking on his portrait. Research is very limited compared to the original. You are stuck with one base and it does not get attacked.

The tactical game is fun. Stances are gone and cover is much more important. Much better here than the likes of Aftershock. The balance is poor. On normal difficulty it's much too easy. On classic it's too hard.

Not terrible but not great. Worth getting if it's on sale and you are bored.
  43. Nov 17, 2014
    A highly enjoyable and strategically strong game borders on being perfect aside from some annoying glitches and bugs. Fans of the turn based action games will enjoy and those looking for a challenge will love it.
  44. Nov 13, 2014
    Having never played a turn-based game, I decided to take the plunge into XCOM after seeing so many positive reviews for it. At first, the experience was ecstatic. I clocked in over 20 hours' playtime in a weekend! I was expecting the gameplay to be very dull, not accessible and for all the base management to be confusing and overly complex. But I was wrong - this game couldn't be any moreHaving never played a turn-based game, I decided to take the plunge into XCOM after seeing so many positive reviews for it. At first, the experience was ecstatic. I clocked in over 20 hours' playtime in a weekend! I was expecting the gameplay to be very dull, not accessible and for all the base management to be confusing and overly complex. But I was wrong - this game couldn't be any more accessible and easy to get into. I loved the simplicity of the mechanics but the depth that it could present the player with. In terms of combat and variety in soldiers, aliens, customisation, level design etc. Enemy Unknown is fantastic. You will never play the same map twice, which is highly impressive - especially given the variety of areas. You really feel a sense of control and importance - the theme of being a commander during a time of crisis is portrayed nicely without being mundane. Every action, every turn, every decision feels meaningful. And that's perhaps the best thing one can say about this game. Later on however, you realise the flaws in its design.

Now, I'm the kind of gamer that likes perfection - I will restart until I get the result I want. Naturally, this isn't well-suited to turn-based games. Although I highly enjoyed the concept of XCOM and its gameplay, some design decisions and bugs make the game unplayable without the so called "save-scumming" tactic. The most noticeable issue is that of finding the aliens. The fog of war is so thick, your soldiers have to practically walk within a few tiles of the enemy to see them. But this is the real kicker: THEY GET TO MOVE EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT THEIR TURN! So many times I have been cheated by the game because I spent about 3 turns dashing forward not finding any enemies, and all of a sudden I move ONE TILE forward and a bunch of them appear out of nowhere and surround me DURING MY TURN! This is clearly unfair and really takes away from the tactical element. It's just plain cheap and bad design; although it's not game-breaking most of the time so I can cope with it. The second major issue I have is line of sight and chance to hit. I find that the percentage you see is almost compeltely random and counter-intuitive. So many times I have moved my soldier to a tactically better spot to increase my chances of hitting the enemy, only to lose sight of them or to lower my chances. Whoever did the calculations for hit percents clearly didn't test it in practice - there are so many ridiculous examples where you're next to the enemy and miss yet can have a high chance of hitting them from obscure angles and, in rare cases, through walls! Having played fast-paced action games for so long, the idea of turn-based combat did seem ridiculously novel at times. I mean, you can target an enemy that's directly behind another enemy but not hit the one shielding your target. The visual representation of the combat is horrific at best. Oftentimes, the games will show plasma on your character even if the alien missed you but it shows that it hit, and vice-versa. It's as if the graphics/UI team had no communication with the gameplay designers and those that code the mechanics. The camera issues in this game are inexcsuable. Especially for levels with verticality and those inside buildings, the isometric design really exposes how bad of a job the developers did of using Unreal Engine 3. First of all, framerate drops. Then, when you try to select your units or point to where you want them to go, it keeps moving about or there is so little consistency between what you see on screen and what's actually going on. It's kinda hard to describe, but once you play the game you'll see plenty of minor bugs and the occasional major one (e.g. my Hover SHIV got stuck in a wall and couldn't move). I have read reports of corrupted saves and problems with the autosave feature too.

Although XCOM is an unpredictable game, it is still linear in progression. It also has some scaling issues with the campaign; where you get all the awesome gear and have a kick-♥♥♥ base with the best weapons, jets, armour, research etc. only to be able to use them for a couple of missions before the end. In the latter half of the game, I had full satellite coverage and was drowning in money I might as well have wasted it. In early game, resource management feels really important and meaningful. Towards the end, you just sit on your wealth and can't really use your resources to help you further in combat. Although I think that's my playstyle. Indeed, XCOM is perhaps the best attempt I have encountered when it comes to balancing progression rewards with length of game.

Overall, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a game which convincingly sells the concept of Turn-Based strategy to those unfamiliar with the genre. However, the quality of its in-engine execution is shody and at the micro-mechanical level, it's almost broken. In terms of design and its vision, XCOM EU is ingenius. It definitely has replay value.
  45. Nov 12, 2014
    This is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences everThis is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences ever created.

But i dont like that they dont support mods very well and force you to play the game their way
  46. Nov 9, 2014
    Review of the "Elite Edition" (MacOSX)
    Turn-based strategy games are something of an outcast class in the present game developing environment. No publisher seems keen on investing in these. Firaxis, with their well known pedigree of impecable and all-consuming strategical games, changed the "Outcast" part for "Outclass" in this wonderful modernization of the future (of a past game).
    THE
    Review of the "Elite Edition" (MacOSX)
    THE GOODNESS GALORE
    They managed 3 things I think vital: There is no need to be a fan or have played XCOM to like this game; if you are an XCOM fan you will recognize and understand the changes made to this game; and they adapted TBS to be a heart-thumping bonanza of action kickasserie! (without sacrificing any of the methodical rhythm needed and cherished by fans of the genre, such as myself).
    All-around graphics are of a very high calibre. Detailed environments and creature models bring the world to life, ample customization make your troops feel unique in a way even more profound I have found on some (pseudo) RPG games, a well set tone and story development more than submerge you totally integrate you with the plight of a world facing a patently undefeatable enemy, unless you organize your meager initial resources (men and women, tech, money and time) to mount the best counterattack Earth are capable of, and give humanity at least a fighting chance.
    The game has been streamlined in the right places, such as merging facilities, limiting the size of your team to a 6-man squad more than the sometimes unwhieldy 20-unit troops, but vital aspects such as difficulty, strategy requirements and complex interactions between your resources are still gratifyingly intricate.
    Replayability is enormous, with 4 different levels of difficulty and the discenrning-masochist prefered choice: Iron Man. Which means you have nothing but the game's AutoSave to finish the campaign, therefore every choice you take is uncheangeable, so the stakes get so high they're airplane hazards.
    Best thing about the Mac version? The game is a stand-alone unit, so no need for any Steam nonsense (although you will get all the usual iTunes or AppShop foolishness if you buy the app or iOS version.)
    The game is fortunatelly very stable, so don't worry too much about crashes or glitches since there are only a few, but, as with any game, it's not free of issues...
    THE NAUGHTY BITS
    The environments will get "samey" on further playthroughs since maps will be re-used. There are no attacks on the XCOM base, which would have given Enemy Unknown such a thrilling level of added desperation to your already fragile situation. Some clipping will take place generating cheap deads on your team (or on aliens too for that matter, devaluing your efforts a bit) when they get detected, thus shot, through roofs or sturdy walls, which is not a big deal on most cases except on "Iron Man" where you depend so highly on not screwing up. The aircombat is primitive and uninvolving, and would've benefited the experience (and maybe the story) if it included more than basically just wishing your pilots well by clicking one button at a certain moment.
    CONCLUSION
    But these grievances have no real impact on wheather you should buy or not this game. You MUST. Earth and the TBS market demands it that you do... to give them a chance to survive.
  47. Nov 7, 2014
    The first time I tried this game I couldn't understand the way the combat worked and that was because I looked at the game the same way I looked at the classic. My second attempt was much better as I finally grasped what was going on. The game is very good and climatic. The combat system is somewhat simplified in comparison with the classic but it came out as an advantage. What I dislikedThe first time I tried this game I couldn't understand the way the combat worked and that was because I looked at the game the same way I looked at the classic. My second attempt was much better as I finally grasped what was going on. The game is very good and climatic. The combat system is somewhat simplified in comparison with the classic but it came out as an advantage. What I disliked in the classic was looking for the last alien that hid somewhere on the map. Here you do not have to do that. Game progression is fantastic. Besides random maps you got fixed missions, which makes game more attractive - you did not have this choise in classic. You can make your soldiers to become cyborgs or enchance them biologically. Each soldiers class is needed and this is a great improvement over the classic title where you could get ultimate killers good at everything. Here you got soldiers that can be achieved only at their profession, which is sensible attitutude. Graphics and animations are quite pretty. I beat the game and I feel like coming back once again to this title to play the campgain once more. I hope they will make another title in the franchise. I am really looking forward to it. Expand
  48. Oct 28, 2014
    Fantastic game, good combat system. good successor to the 1993 title (which in my opinion is a 10), even with his small flaws, totally worth playing!!!
  49. Oct 28, 2014
    Old school evil aliens invade the earth and you are the commander of an elite team that should be able to defy that menace. Fortunately the game doesn't take it too seriously and is therefore enjoyable even if it features "evil alien invaders".

The plot was surprisingly varied, considering we're talking about evil alien invaders, but it actually just need to support the turn-based in-field combat mechanics change throughout the progress of the game.
    It was the first time I approached turn based combat games (and the only turn based strategy game I ever played before XCOM: Enemy Unknown was Sid Meyer's Civilization V) but I found XCOM: Enemy Unknown gameplay system pretty straightforward and enjoyable.

Game graphic is nice, I wouldn't have changed anything on that part, music instead sounds often repetitive even if it matches the atmosphere.

Now, the cons.
    Percentage system is not totally random but randomly predetermined: if you miss a hit, no matter how many times you reload a savegame and/or change actions before that very hit, it will miss (even with 98% hit chance).
    The movement system gets you hard time with ramps/levels/obstructions.
    Finally, this game has a few bugs, one above all it may happen that the game still runs without any visual issue or crash BUT no matter what button you press, you can't do anything and you need to force quit the game (happened 1 to 3 times per finished game).

To recap, if this game was made for PC in the first place a lot of things would have been better, but it is clearly adapted to consoles limited controls (gamepads != mouses) and then ported to PC.
    The good thing is that, controls aside, the game has a lot of customizable options and since it uses the unreal engine it's pretty solid.
    Also, the game runs on linux, I'd say it runs really good on linux and I can only praise that.

If you enjoy turn based strategy combat games this game is for you, if you don't give it a try anyway, I really enjoyed it as my first time turn-based combat game.
  50. Oct 25, 2014
    Turn based squad strategy at it's finest. The only complaint is that the story is a little week. Other than that, there's enjoyable progression, challenge for any level of familiarity, and huge replay-ability.
  51. Oct 18, 2014
    I have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. TryI have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. Try naming them after your loved ones, and you'll get attached to them. That's the thing about XCOM, it doesn't trivialize death; it even has a memorial for your lost soldiers. Haven't played multiplayer, but singleplayer alone justifies the price tag. There are some lags here and there but they're minor. Come on, buy it NOW. Expand
  52. Oct 15, 2014
    Incredible game, I have spent at least 120 hours playing this, people saying it´s "dumbed down" Its because they have not even tried it in impossible with iron man mode enabled, buy this game, I asure you wont regret it.
  53. Oct 14, 2014
    Great. Interesting characters - who you genuinely care about, because they can die at any time. Varied skills - which can really shake up the field of play. A variety of classes - which really do play differently. Lots of tactical options to consider and with the expansions/DLC, even more. I'm not typically a TBS player, but even I found this to be a great game. The only caveats are thatGreat. Interesting characters - who you genuinely care about, because they can die at any time. Varied skills - which can really shake up the field of play. A variety of classes - which really do play differently. Lots of tactical options to consider and with the expansions/DLC, even more. I'm not typically a TBS player, but even I found this to be a great game. The only caveats are that the action can be a little slow at times (e.g: chasing down the last few aliens on a map), and the base-building part of the game seemed underdeveloped (at least, without the DLC). Expand
  54. Sep 28, 2014
    Great game. The tactics are quite simple and make for streamlined gameplay. Its not bad for it, the range of maps is quite good. The solider nationalities and editing give you a connection with them, if you play on ironman you feel gutted if a favourite dies.

The ironman mode is really good one bad mission can cause a lot of problems. I would like to see more mission types although

The ironman mode is really good one bad mission can cause a lot of problems.

I would like to see more mission types although the missions themselves seem to be quite different with each play through.

Would recommend however if you are looking for in depth combat you may be disappointed.
  55. Sep 22, 2014
    Ita amazing - this piece of s... still playable and even not bad in spite of, ALL good what was in original X-com was failed, ruined or remaked in absolutly stupid way. My english too poor to describe all, but i try:
    - two-turn stupid system for stupid kids, i wonder
    - no aiming - no inventory - no casulty shots (you can shoot ONLY your target or you miss even if target stay in huge
    - two-turn stupid system for stupid kids, i wonder
    - no aiming
    - no inventory
    - no casulty shots (you can shoot ONLY your target or you miss even if target stay in huge crowd and you soot from mashinegun)
    - ruined economic. All prices very funny. And stupid (like all other in game)
    - no more strategy, only one base and stupid "sattelite" instead another base
    - terror missons always theree and you alweys fail two. No, no more two or how you like ships for closing all mission.
    - "timer" mission its something from hell. Im cant remeber anything so idiotic and so not fitted ot plot like this.
    - hm,... "plot"... yes, its make you facepalm again and again
    - even video search report failed. Original 200x300pix ufopedia pages was much better. Im dont know, how firexis make this but its true.
    - and many more, i suppose, i just lazy to start game again for remember all of this.
  56. Aug 21, 2014
    Having played the original version i was extremely disappointed and surprised that they simplified it so heavily, when they had the option to keep the complexity and add better graphics, but chose not to.
    Graphics are good, but again mostly made up of preset animations, and not depending much on what you actually do, meaning the same thing happens over and over, also when it comes to damage (i actually it could not be true).
    Line of sight is sadly also broken.
    1 point for decent graphics.
  57. Aug 19, 2014
    As fan of first classic X-Com am disappointed of where this go, and from what I see have no reason to play this. Strategy is better when its more complex and realistic, where apparently here they do everything to make it worst.
  58. Aug 18, 2014
    This new XCom can proudly bear it ancestor name. While it isn't the old XCom game in new dressing, it keeps the essence of the old title.

It is simpler in many aspects, like you don't have to care for munition -- making it or using it, only issue is to reload the guns in battle, but the munition supply is infinite, which has an impact on tactics, since you can shoot all the time, even when % is very low. And its fun to kill an alien with a 10% chance! Also, you don't choose the kind of equipment a soldier will use. After the first graduation each soldier will go automatically to Sniper, Assault, Support or Heavy, and from them on can only use weapons for his or her class. But this isn't a problem, its cheap to get new soldiers and you can choose which ones to take on the missions (use the Clear button on the mission rooster to change them) (Also, its good to have many soldiers and train them all. It can be important along the game).

One little point I disliked is that soldiers can hold just a weapon, a side weapon, armor and one extra item, like grenades, medikits or any other of the later developed items. It seems to me that some items, like a Scope or a Helmet, should be used besides these ones, but no, you have to give up on grenades/ medikits to have these ones.

One funny aspect is Engineering can build anything instantly (provided you have money and materials for it). Also, you can't sell equipment. All you can sell are alien items you get on battle -- and this isn't really a good idea, you will need them to build items with alien tech.

Another thing that for me doesn't look great is how hard it is to get all satellites in the air (if you loose a country, you cant recover it back later, so at first its all efforts to put satellites everywhere), and how easy is to have money after that is done. This side of the game is very intense at first but too easy after the satellites. You research all that is to research really quick, I didn't even build any Laboratory (playing on Normal), just built two Workshops to have enough Engineers to built the satellites. It would be more interesting if you could make some super special hard mission to recover a lost country later...

Because of these small points I don't give the game a 10.

On the plus side, graphics and sounds are phenomenal. Really great. Sceneries are also great, even if a little more variations would be good. On old XCom games we could end walking around the scenery looking for that last alien to kill, but this wont happen here, sceneries aren't very big (it would be great to have some variation in size, it would be more interesting), and there is an interesting hearing cue to tell you where the aliens are. Animations are also great. The way camera changes when a soldier or alien shoots is great (and sometimes when a soldier moves), adds a lot to the game.

Interface is also great. I had a little trouble to understand how to use mouse wheel (to raise/lower levels of view), but after I got it right, everything with interface was easy and fun. One little issue: at the end of a turn, we could have a button to put all the remaining soldiers on Overwatch, instead of going one by one. Also, after a mission start, you cant choose the sequence the orders are given to soldiers (when clicking the button to go from soldier to soldier, or Shift key). It could be like you manually choose the order the first time and the game could remember the sequence and repeat it instead of using its own sequence all the time. This makes we jump from a side of the scenery to the other with each soldier instead of solving movement for all that are together. This using the Shift key to change soldiers. Of course you can click on the next soldier too (the cue that you are on the correct point to click is very good, its hard to do it wrong).

After a while playing the game, you can turn on Ironman. On Ironman you can't save the game while in a mission, making things much, much harder. (Of course you can always return to a saved game before the start of that mission that went very badly, but don't do so, its cheating (: )

The tactical aspect of the game is very well thought. At first there's no difference what kind of weapon you use, but after the game progress it is essential to have the correct ones (before each mission, game tells you what kind of aliens you should find in the mission). Or, you can solve the problem without the right ones, but its much more difficult. Also the tactical positioning is essential. On missions where the UFO landed (opposed to crashed down), you can't approach it heads on, there will be a ton of aliens shooting at your soldiers at the same time. So you have to find other ways to approach... (here a bigger scenery could be more fun. But it is already very interesting the way it is!).

All in all, a very recommended game and one I will play for a long time. Already crossed the 200 hours on it!
  59. Aug 17, 2014
    Could have been a really enjoyable game if it wasn't for the many game-breaking bugs that make it just plain annoying. I'm on one of the last missions in the game and yet every time I go back to try and complete it I get a bug where I'm stuck in the middle of my turn and can't do anything. It's been ages since the game's release and yet there is still no fix for the issue.
  60. Aug 8, 2014
    This game is turn based game, but you must try it. The graphic game is great. The storyline is very good. This game has psychic power that can use for weapon, control enenmy, etc.
  61. Aug 1, 2014
    Utterly immersing and satisfying. If you like first person shooters as well as turn based grand strategy games (think total war series) then this merges the two in a perfect way. As a newbe to the xcom series, I have been left very impressed.
  62. Jul 29, 2014
    Let me explain why I hate the guts this crappy game.

1- The storyline, combined with so-to-speak side missions are completely retarded, since you cannot build a satellite uplink before 5th or 6th "forced" missions. Panic level rises in countries, missions become impossible therefore game gets **** 2- Game is buggy as hell. Both visually and AI wise. I have given a second change to it
    Let me explain why I hate the guts this crappy game.

2- Game is buggy as hell. Both visually and AI wise. I have given a second change to it in July 2014, still as bad as it gets. You can shoot through walls, they can shoot through walls and miss through walls. It is like a joke.

3- UFO vs Intercepter fights must be a joke... It's like '99 ATARI gameplay, which you cannot even play. It is like OGAME of some other browser-based sh*t.

4- Dark parts of the map (not mini map, the whole screen) cannot be revealed except diving with your soldiers, which is retarded in a turn based game.

5- So, on and on. Sorry that I've forgotten a lot of other things. Just read the negative reviews and I am sure you'll find those too.

Overall, I would not touch this game ever gain.
  63. Jul 22, 2014
    I would put this game in the pantheon of strategy games, without question. SCORE: 97/100.

I loved this game from start to finish and everything about the tactical gameplay is amazing and engaging. There are a great variety of classes (with upgrade paths, ranks, and different equipment) and enemies, diverse maps, good base technology and items, and just a complete package that is fun and replayable.

This is a game that you will play again, and you will be glad you did.
  64. Jul 22, 2014
    All in all, the game is very strong; the combat works well, the macro-level stuff keeps you sucked in, and there is a fairly decent variety in enemies. The game will keep you entertained for 20-30 hours.

That being said, it could be a little bit better; the aliens aren't quite smart and aggressive enough, and eventually, once you get things under control, it can get a little bit dry towards the end.

Still, on the whole, it is an enjoyable experience and well worth the time and money to beat it once.
  65. Jul 11, 2014
    This is a review of the base game with all DLC except Enemy Within.

This is a review of the base game with all DLC except Enemy Within.

XCOm is a very polished but ultimately after about the first 100 hours I was bored with it. The challenge and excitement is all in the beginning but once my research and engineering catches up and my soldiers become strong enough to become a match for the aliens the missions start to become a chore to play and I just can't be bothered to finish the rest of it. The original XCOM UFO Defence managed to keep me hooked all the way to the end because of its randomness, variety and customisability. All these attributes are sorely lacking in this version of XCOM.
  66. Jul 9, 2014
    Excellent game.

Hard decisions to make, punishes bad moves, makes you feel accomplished when you succeed. Game has high replay value due to randomization and various settings/mods.

Only reason its not a flat out 10/10 is minor annoyances. Such as if the last man with medkit gets wounded and some odd camera bugs.
  67. Jul 4, 2014
    This is not a remake of UFO Defense but only a reboot at best. It is simply a downgraded tactical strategy game but with some elements taken from UFO defense.

Just another generic strategy game taking advantage of the name of XCOM to monetize. On a side note, the technical issues of this game are also notorious for long, so check them first before you decide to give it a shot.

Fortunately, players cam still have either open xcom project or true remake Xenonauts to choose from, so they can recap the feeling of original.
  68. Jul 2, 2014
    This game is fantastic. It's ALMOST to the 1993 version in terms of greatness, in my opinion. It falls just short with the base customization and the way the difficulty really tapers off. However, this game is a great reboot to the series, and an excellent stepping stone for Jake Solomon and his team to bring the XCOM franchise into a new light and, hopefully, continue refining the gameThis game is fantastic. It's ALMOST to the 1993 version in terms of greatness, in my opinion. It falls just short with the base customization and the way the difficulty really tapers off. However, this game is a great reboot to the series, and an excellent stepping stone for Jake Solomon and his team to bring the XCOM franchise into a new light and, hopefully, continue refining the game to make his XCOM run last longer than Julian Gollop's unfortunate luck with the series. Expand
  69. Jun 30, 2014
    While this game is a lot less complicated than UFO Defense, this is still a very challenging and fun strategy game. If you ARE one of those idiots that are so die-hard to the franchise that you think that anything new is automatically bad, I will point you to Xenonauts, a fan-made remake of the UFO defense.
    .......
    Are they gone? Good. Now let me just say this is a MUST for any
    .......
    Are they gone?
    Good.

Now let me just say this is a MUST for any strategy game fan. If you haven't already bought this, turn off your computer,do yourself a favor and run to the nearest retailer to pick up this masterpiece. It is THE BEST strategy game I've played in a while. While the story is admittedly not that great, (You don't even find out why the aliens are here) the game-play makes up for it. With tense fights that will have you biting at your fingernails, interesting research trees to discover new technologies and use them for the against the aliens, and an amazing new "ant-farm" look for the XCOM base that makes building facilities a breeze, this game is definitively worth the 60 dollar asking price, not to mention it has decreased down to about 30 dollars now. I was going to give this a 10 to negate the effect of all the CoD idiots and "hardcore gamers", but that wouldn't be right, would it? Opinions are still opinions, even if they are wrong. 9/10
  70. Jun 25, 2014
    If you judge this by how well it is made, it is a complete ten. I've played the entire XCOM series except Terror From the Deep and the UFO Aftermath spinoff. This is the best XCOM game I've ever seen. Yes, it is simplified and streamlined but in a good way.

However, this game follows the World of Warcraft formula. There is no real end in mind. The game has an ending but you level up to level up to get better gear to level up to level up. This creates addiction. The first time I've played it, I've did it for six hours straight and then deleted the game. I've installed it a second time and played eight hours in a day.

Since then I gave up on it. If you have a lot of time on your hands, it is worth it. It has enough variety to keep you surprised, the level up system is extremely addicting and the story is very good. It combines a techno-military-thriller feel with hunting aliens. Even if the graphics are not that realistic (by design), it has a very strong military vibe to it.

I wish I had the 50 - 100 hours to finish it (with Enemy Within). However, the second time I've woke up at 02:00 AM in my bed, with my girlfriend sleeping still playing this game, I've realized I've gone too far and deleted it right away.

As a bonus though, it works great on integrated graphics. Since it is turn base you don't need big FPS but even on an Intel HD 4000 I can play it on low with decent graphics. If you tweak the ini file a bit, you'll gain 15 - 30 FPS right of the bat.

So it is hard not to give this a 10 / 10 but since there is no end in mind to it, I won't play it. It follows the same formula as Call of Duty, as World of Warcraft, as Civilization 5. And it works. If only this game was released 10 years ago when I had the time for it.

One last thing, the action is not that hard.

As long as you equip your soldiers with the right weapons (or better yet, the MEC suits in the expansion which are way overpowered in the early stages) and place them in cover, that's about the entire strategy you are going to get.

I could place my sniper high or throw a flashbang or ruin their cover with a rocket but why do so?

It is enough to place three MEC suits in front, three people in cover, preferably the support class that can fire twice after the upgrade and press "1" and "space" for every single one of them. It works for a large section of the game.

If you follow the instructions, capture the aliens, do the right research, it is hard not to overpower every alien you meet.
  71. Jun 24, 2014
    It is called Xcom Enemy Unknown, but it isn't!
    I played ALL strategic xcom games and i loved them all, each of them has their negatives but the new Firaxis Xcom is the worst remake (after JA back in Action) i have seen, why? Go on:
    Good: + You still can catch aliens + PSI is still in the game + the graphics are okay, for such a game + the sounds are good + It is tactical, very
    It is called Xcom Enemy Unknown, but it isn't!
    Good:
    + You still can catch aliens
    + PSI is still in the game
    + the graphics are okay, for such a game
    + the sounds are good
    + It is tactical, very diffrent but it is.
    + only one base, yeah i do like it, but it could be also negative but i think it is the only good change...

Negativ:
    - no Inventory...the game has Shooter like Weaponslots...
    - no diffrent firemodes for each weapon, skills/perks instead...
    - Clipping errors (weapons go through walls...)
    - just a few Equipment
    - Very linear story structure, NO REPLAY VALUE! Railroad Shooter story...
    - with one base, you still don't have to defend it...BORING!
    - you can't pick up Items during a mission...like in a shooter.
    - like every weapon is class-based...
    - enemys are like dolls, no specific weakness or strengthen (fire, gas? why not? oh...i get it, you have to think and be tactic...)
    - higher difficulty increases enemy numbers and hitchances instead of a smarter A.i....
    - greandes are skill based...no "put a he grenade or smoke grenade in the belt of a soldier".

This is my personal "Worst game remake i ever saw" i was so excited after i heard Firaxis announced this game, but after i played the demo, i was sure it will be the worst remake in history.
    But i give it a chance and i purchased it on a steam sale...
    Even with Ufo extraterrestrials i had way more fun!
    Shame on you firaxis for destroying my so much loved franchise, i really hate you for this game...
    - Cover which isn't really covering you....
  72. Jun 23, 2014
    XCOM is a great game. It does have a few annoying flaws however: Every time you mess up, which will probably happen every now and then, you can't access the menus during the enemies' turn. That means you have to watch 1-2 minutes of your team dying or restart the game, instead of being able to reload instantly.
    Same problem with your soldiers' class: It's randomly chosen after the first
    Same problem with your soldiers' class: It's randomly chosen after the first level up instead of letting you pick it. There are ways to get the class you want, but it's still a stupid design decision.
    I get what they're trying to do with these things, but let people play however the hell they want, damn it.

Except for these things, it's a great strategy game.
  73. Jun 22, 2014
    While nice looking and shiny on the first look and obviously fun for a lot of today's players, for anyone who grew on the old 1994, the new one is flat, shallow, repetitive and soon boring. I know the old game was not perfect, and a lot of micromanagement there was unnecessary, but still the remake is far too simplified and streamlined. While it looks like a strategy game, beside theWhile nice looking and shiny on the first look and obviously fun for a lot of today's players, for anyone who grew on the old 1994, the new one is flat, shallow, repetitive and soon boring. I know the old game was not perfect, and a lot of micromanagement there was unnecessary, but still the remake is far too simplified and streamlined. While it looks like a strategy game, beside the tactical combat (which may or may not suite you), there is no strategy involved in the game at all, as outside the tactical missions the game is fully scripted and ignores how good or bad you do. Anyone looking for a true XCOM game have much better choices around than this one. Expand
  74. Jun 18, 2014
    Loved the game. Just had to write a review to say i gave it a 10 because 2 many ppl give it 0 cus they have no clue about anything. For real its 9 in my eyes. Go play!
  75. Jun 11, 2014
    I have always been a huge fan of Firaxis Games. I love the Civilization games and was very interested to try XCOM: Enemy Unknown, to see how a new spin on turn-based strategy might play out. I was pleasantly surprised. The game is very fun and very addictive. It's also challenging and forces you to try different strategies to finally win.

It's not without it's faults, however. The

It's not without it's faults, however. The game has some pretty bad line of sight issues and the AI can sometimes seem glitchy. However, these issues are not constant and overall don't detract from the fun and addictive gameplay. I also wish the XCOM base progression wasn't as repetitive and mundane. It's still fun, but gets a little old toward the end of the game.

All in all, I have many more praises than complaints and I highly recommend this game for anyone, let alone those gamers that love turn-based strategy!
  76. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese al pavor que tenía porque lo hubieran hecho mal, es un digno sucesor del juego original (que es uno de mis favoritos). Han tenido que simplificar algunas mecánicas y parte de la gestión pero sigue teniendo ese regusto a batalla épica a la desesperada que te generaba el primero. Vale la pena comprarlo aunque es una lástima que el multi no te dejen jugar en cooperativo contra los aliens.
  77. Jun 7, 2014
    Amazing game. I was a bit worried if it will live up to the fame of the cult classic form 94 or if it will be entertaining enough in this day and age, but this was a 40hours long ride full of fun for me. Engaging tactical battles, politics, research, HQ building, DeusEx style music and atmosphere, great story, some surprising voice actors I've recognized like the scientist from LOST'sAmazing game. I was a bit worried if it will live up to the fame of the cult classic form 94 or if it will be entertaining enough in this day and age, but this was a 40hours long ride full of fun for me. Engaging tactical battles, politics, research, HQ building, DeusEx style music and atmosphere, great story, some surprising voice actors I've recognized like the scientist from LOST's orientation videos, Im completely satisfied here. Yes, it has been a bit simplified compared to the original, but that's understandable and it doesn't ruin the experience. My only complain is the lack of customization for your squad since building your dream squad is the main fun here, at least for me, the final battle also left kinda weak impression as I have headshotted the final boss in one turn, but other than that, this is an awesome reboot of the X-COM classic. 9/10 Expand
  78. Jun 2, 2014
    I am bias writing this because what I so desperately hoped for was a modern version of the original classic game. I am constantly surprised by how many people love this game and each time I read one of their reviews I try hard to give it another chance for a day or so... However:

I find this game to be extremely disappointing, poorly developed and a piece of mass produced poo. There are SO many problems I have with it from the tactics to the inventory and development of your soldiers. The voice acting is extremely poor, the development of the story is poor and the limitations in research, engineering, hiring/firing, building countries up etc are extreme. Stupid things like you can either have a scope (which would surely be attached to your rifle) or a grenade on a soldier... WHAT?!?!? Do you not think a bloke that had mainstreamed that many steroids (judging by the ridiculously stupid graphics of your soldiers) would possibly be able to carry more than a couple of items? Maybe if the option was 'either carry a house or a bus' then carrying only one would make sense. Having soldiers from China, England, France, Germany etc is a nice twist in that they all have their own flag (although here is an important fact... Scotland does not have it's own army, neither does England (nor Wales or Northern Ireland). They are all part of one force called the British Army and having served in it, screw you developers for mucking about with it). However, apparently wherever your soldiers are from, they are in fact all American from their accents and spoken languages.

Even were I not still trying to get over the sadness of this not being the hoped for 1993 game revamped, I would score this game poorly. It has some amazing ideas, great graphics, interesting twists and game play tweaks that could make a smile but it has far too many flaws to be good in my books.
  79. Jun 1, 2014
    This is a game that doesn't care to be balanced. It only cares to be great, awesome and to give you the most nerve-wracking hardcore experience ever! On Classic difficulty, this game is all-fury and no balance and it is awesome! You will scream and bite your nails as your troops get slaughtered, your interceptors shot down and countries It doesn't care about casual gamers and it doesn'tThis is a game that doesn't care to be balanced. It only cares to be great, awesome and to give you the most nerve-wracking hardcore experience ever! On Classic difficulty, this game is all-fury and no balance and it is awesome! You will scream and bite your nails as your troops get slaughtered, your interceptors shot down and countries It doesn't care about casual gamers and it doesn't care to be fair. If you don't have the balls to play then go back to your casual games! I can't wait to buy the expansion! My only regret is that I didn't buy this game earlier! Expand
  80. May 7, 2014
    This game totally went under my radar until recently. I played the original XCOM game back in the mid-90's and I kept seeing people talking about this game called XCOM: Enemy Unknown, not realizing they actually remade it a couple of years ago. As soon as I figured it out, I went and got it.

I don't think there are comparisons to be made with the original XCOM/UFO Enemy Unknown game despite the various similarities.

This game has two major flaws.

The first one is that it doesn't look good. Its uninspired main screen menu tells you it doesn't aim to be visually beautiful. It's not a big budget game with mindblowing graphics. I even wonder why they didn't chose to do cinematics with real actors instead of poorly animated computerd generated characters. Live acting would've reduced the cost ( it's a 2 days work, really ) and it would've made the game look better overall. But that's a personal opinion, of course.

The second flaw, and probably the most important one, is that this game is unforgiving and brutal. It's not a Ninja Gaiden Black or Dark Souls type of challenge that forces you to sharpen your skills by practicing - and ultimately defeating the game with a feeling of accomplishment. This XCOM game is just ruthless and you can't do a thing about it. There's only a tiny difference of difficulty between easy and normal, and the normal mode is very, very hard. The game doesn't tell you what to do to augment your chances of winning, especially concerning everything surrounding the base management. It won't tell you how to make profits and how to augment your chances of victory. There's a lot of stuff you get to learn by yourself at the cost of tens and tens of hours of gaming filed with what I'd call gamer rape. You are most likely to restart your game once or twice. By the third time you play, you probably will master most of the elements of the game, but it's still very hard to beat.

The combat mode is probably the best part of the game. Those who like military strategy will fall in love with this game. It's the strategic aspect of the game that kept me from giving up on it after realizing I had to invest on satellites when it was way too late. The combat mode can be very gratifying if you come up with strategies as you fight your enemies. If you send your squad to random spots without thinking of the consequences, you're most likely to get a severe beating at the hands of a formidable AI that could reduce Garry Kasparov to tears.

But then again, the difficulty of the game catches up and you'll find yourself in terrible situations more than once. Your soldiers will die and you will fail some missions unless you save and load repeatedly. The AI isn't to blame here, because if you have a smart AI, why make it dumb to alleviate the difficulty? All they had to do was to reduce their hit points and reduce the damage they could deal to you to make the game easier. But it seems the people who made this game really wanted to make it almost impossible to play for an average gamer who can't spend days playing a single video game before he actually manages to understand the mechanics of the said game.

Many so-called hardcore gamers will tell you this game is just like the old school games and that it was made difficult willingly. Sorry, but I don't agree. The good ol' hard games were hard because they were poorly designed and had close to no beta testing whatsoever. Battletoads, Friday the 13th, etc. etc. they were hard games because the people who made them had no idea on how to reduce the difficulty - or they simply didn't care. There's hard and then there's hell-worthy hard. This game falls in the second category.

There's also something that bugs me in the combat mode. Sometimes I put my soldiers in specific areas, thinking they will get a higher accuracy percentage, but it turns out they don't. I think this game required a little more tweaking here and there concerning this department.

Scenario-wise, it's very boring. They missed the opportunity of hiring a good writer who could've come up with a respectable story. Instead, we get dialogues worthy of a 10 year old boy playing with action figures.

The music is pretty good in this game. It's highly reminiscent of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but it still holds its own. There are some good tunes in this game.

Ultimately, this game is still amazing despite the harsh criticism I have on it concerning the difficulty. You end up getting the upper hand of it, but it takes so much time ( definitely 20hours+ required to know what you're doing ). I mean, we either go to school or have jobs. Sorry to put it this way but let's be honest here. This game will only be loved uncondtionally by people who don't have a life. Normal people who play video games a couple of hours once in a while will quickly give up on it. I think that commercially speaking, this game is a failure since it only appeals to a very tiny portion of gamers out there.
  81. May 1, 2014
    Turn based strategy at its finest with a variety of gameplay options. Play it on ironman where every decision matters. Nothing beats the moment when your favorite Sniper (named after yourself, of course) is down to one health bar, low on ammo, Thin Men dropping in from everywhere, and your Support Class Girl sits on the other end of the map. Be sure to get the excellent Enemy Within as well.
  82. Mar 8, 2014
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.
    It was a long time since i had a game with more than 50 hours of playing in a week.
    Since i never play the X-COM classics before, i'm not the one who gonna spit on that game because of some lack of fidelity from the original series, which seems to be what people was most criticizing about. Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.

Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and it's not so well explored. You'll have to manage resources, research alien materials, train and customize your soldiers, capture aliens alive to study them, build facilities, weapons, gadgets, robots, all kind of features to help you to deal with an unknown alien menace.

The biggest part of this game is at turn-based strategy battles, with a third person point of view on shooting enemies or doing another actions.

I got some minor bugs, mostly concerned the camera movement, which can be very annoying some times, but nothing truly deal breaker.
  83. Feb 21, 2014
    Purchased this game in a Steam sale and spent about 6 hours playing it. The mechanics started feeling repetitive and unoriginal after the first 4-5 missions. Game mechanics are in every game, but for some reason this game kept reminding me that it was a game... not an action packed experience. Before others say I'm not cut out for turn based games... I've got hundreds of hours playingPurchased this game in a Steam sale and spent about 6 hours playing it. The mechanics started feeling repetitive and unoriginal after the first 4-5 missions. Game mechanics are in every game, but for some reason this game kept reminding me that it was a game... not an action packed experience. Before others say I'm not cut out for turn based games... I've got hundreds of hours playing Civilization V. XCOM wasn't the game for me. Expand
  84. Feb 14, 2014
    I love this game, every character you make gets you attached to them, i already have completed it, and its just... BEYOND amazing! I love all the different alien types and i would not be playing it if it weren't for a youtuber!
  85. Feb 14, 2014
    I never played old xcom, but it don't regret that. This game has some bugs like shooting through walls, weird angles of shooting, very rare freeze after animations, but overall game is fantastic :) On the higher levels with second wave options game i really hard and requiring. Maybe there's not many options as it old xcom had, but in my opinion there's a lot of things and research to obtain :)
  86. Feb 8, 2014
    I've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strangeI've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strange camera angle. It is also rather slow during those scenes at times I'm thinking just shoot didn't I tell him to attack what's going on? Then he shoots finally. It also occasionally crashes for so no apparent reason. It could use another coat of polish but other than that it's a great game. Expand
  87. Jan 29, 2014
    I am an XCOM fan and I find this is an awesome reboot of the series. Unfortunately the story is a bit short. The Slingshot DLC requires a replay of the game once installed hence for those fans out there, make sure you purchase this DLC upfront else you will need to spend another 40 odd hours to replay the whole lot!!!

I am looking forward with Enemy Within DLC but for the price of USD

I am looking forward with Enemy Within DLC but for the price of USD 39 on just an expansion....I'll wait for a good deal
  88. Jan 23, 2014
    I personally didn't like strategy games until i played Xcom:Enemy Unknown.With updated graphic and a nice gameplay.even though it's not a 100% remake of the UFO:EU,It's still fantastic.With improve combat system and tactical system.
  89. Jan 17, 2014
    This is my first XCOM game, and it is a solid game.

Apparently, according to many fans of the previous one, this XCOM game is less creepier and overall less complex and streamlined. To be honest, despite being simplified, I was still quite challenged by Classic and Impossible modes. Perhaps due to the rather stringent starting conditions that you were given, and the huge tactical
    This is my first XCOM game, and it is a solid game.

To be honest, despite being simplified, I was still quite challenged by Classic and Impossible modes. Perhaps due to the rather stringent starting conditions that you were given, and the huge tactical advantage the enemy possessed.

Under those reviews, they talked about inventory management affecting movement and reload speeds, manual lighting, and targettable cover, all of which sounds pretty interesting without a doubt, some of which even made me feel like I was missing out on.

However, that doesn't necessarily make this a poor game, certainly not 0, even if you were trying to downvote..which isn't necessary at all, the good reviews themselves aren't all 10s anyways. And an 8 feels pretty justified in my books.

This is a great turn-based game. Graphics are decent, too.
    The story is short, and is somewhat linear, as with its game progression.
    Since the achievements are based on replayability, the storyline is kinda overlooked.
    The game progression however, feels constrained. Especially on the harder levels where every level pretty much fights the same if you want your team to come out in one piece.
    Now if there were a bit more leeway in the characters themselves, a few more special moves in the higher tier skills to compensate their weaknesses a bit more, that would make the gameplay much more flexible and enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a fun solid game. Well worth the christmas sale.
  90. Jan 14, 2014
    It was a decision of the creators of this game to call it XCOM and use the IP of a game that has reached a legendary status. Therefore it should be judged in comparison with the original 1994 game UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-com: UFO Defence in America). The original 1994 game was a brilliant open world alien-survival strategy game. The player had to build and manage mutiple bases around theIt was a decision of the creators of this game to call it XCOM and use the IP of a game that has reached a legendary status. Therefore it should be judged in comparison with the original 1994 game UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-com: UFO Defence in America). The original 1994 game was a brilliant open world alien-survival strategy game. The player had to build and manage mutiple bases around the globe, recruit soldiers, scientists and engineers, research technologies and manufacture (which took time based on engineer hours required and eng. allocated to project) aircraft, weapons and equipment. You had to manage storage, production, research between bases and equip craft and soldiers.
    I might be repeating other people, but in comparison to the above the current game looks completely dumbed-down, lacking strategic depth, freedom and controll. It feels scripted where things happen to you instead of you taking control of the whole X-COM project.
  91. Jan 12, 2014
    A solid game, great graphics and sound. Good ui and easy to learn, good story and interesting. I'm not a RTS player but this game hits the mark and well. The only complaint I have was a minor glitch where the enemies shots would go through walls and objects and hit you, other than that its a great game.
  92. Jan 8, 2014
    Just finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading theirJust finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading their weapons and armor through research/capturing/killing the enemies. I found the game play on the challenging side, but I enjoy that in turn based tactical games. Expand
  93. Jan 8, 2014
    I haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPSI haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPS games this is the game for you. Expand
  94. Jan 7, 2014
    Three words..... frustration, frustration, frustration..... going to have to go to easy mode to see if I can just enjoy this after a long day at work or if it still wants me to delete the game from my steam account and chalk up the time spent as lost time and find something else. For the masochist, have at it. I'll gift you my copy, you'll have to provide your own Tums. For thoseThree words..... frustration, frustration, frustration..... going to have to go to easy mode to see if I can just enjoy this after a long day at work or if it still wants me to delete the game from my steam account and chalk up the time spent as lost time and find something else. For the masochist, have at it. I'll gift you my copy, you'll have to provide your own Tums. For those looking for a relaxing but fairly challenging game, stay with the last version of XCOM. Expand
  95. Dec 30, 2013
    Worst purchase ever, Installed 13GB and it wont let me play a single player game without updating 6GB first.
    Firaxis and 2K games are just insulting players with this.
    Firaxis and 2K games are just insulting players with this.

The whole point of buying a retail disc is to avoid huge downloads, I can understand requiring up to 1GB update in order to play multiplayer. But 6GB just to play a single player...... i'll never buy anything from 2K games or Firaxis again.

And they wonder why PC retail is dying to console games, least a console game you buy from a store you can play single player out of the box without updating. I would rather they didnt bother at all with a retail store copy if they are going to be like that, it just wastes my time.

This one is going back for a refund, misleading packaging does not state anywhere on the package that it requires an update to play single player, only that online activation is required.
  96. Dec 29, 2013
    I never played the originals, so I was able to go into this game with no expectations. It could have been solid and entertaining, and was to a point, but it was crippled by RNG. Never apply RNG to accuracy in games. Never do it.
  97. Dec 23, 2013
    This game is an excellent product. A good reboot and remake of the original XCOM videogame. This is what we needed to play again against the Alien invaders. It is immersive, difficult and well balanced. Definitely a must have both for nostalgists and for strategy gamers alike
  98. Dec 16, 2013
    I really enjoyed XCOM. The gameplay is fun and addicting and you always have the option to load a previous save if you troops start dying and you are afraid of losing someone important or losing the mission. I did find that the equipping soldier loadout aspect of the game quite annoying however. I really wish the developers had integrated a button or function that would remove all specialI really enjoyed XCOM. The gameplay is fun and addicting and you always have the option to load a previous save if you troops start dying and you are afraid of losing someone important or losing the mission. I did find that the equipping soldier loadout aspect of the game quite annoying however. I really wish the developers had integrated a button or function that would remove all special armor and weapons from the soliders rather than have me spend 15 minutes looking through every soldier to find my 6th ghost armour for the squad. Expand
  99. Dec 3, 2013
    Decent game, nothing special. The conceptually broken auto-save ruined the game for me after a day. Didn't feel like starting over or with all my main goons dead.
  100. Dec 1, 2013
    I LOVE THIS GAME.
    I've never played any of the predecessors prior to XCOM Enemy Unknown and this game straight injected addiction into my ready and open veins.
    After I downloaded and started playing..... I.... could.....not.....get off of it. If you like tactical turn based strategy. THIS GAME IS A MUST!!! Only thing I didn't like about it... was there is no auto save feature....
    I LOVE THIS GAME.

If you like tactical turn based strategy. THIS GAME IS A MUST!!!

Only thing I didn't like about it... was there is no auto save feature.... so pro tip: SAVE OFTEN.
    it'll prevent headaches lol

GREAT GAME
  101. Oct 9, 2012
    First off, this is really not an X-Com game and if you go in looking at it as a new IP then you will be a lot better off. The game is heavily streamlined/dumbed-down from its origins and rather than a turn-based strategy game like the original X-Com games, you are buying a turn-based ACTION game, like a turn-based Gears of War.

You are limited to 4 squad members to start, you cannot

You are limited to 4 squad members to start, you cannot build or manage new bases, the maps are pre-done rather than random (and can repeat through a game), and virtually all of the strategic portions of the original X-Com have been deleted. I suspect this was done to "attract the CoD/GeoW audience" but it just makes the unsuitable for any true strategy gamer and its slow pace will certainly keep away the FPS fans. Now this is not specifically a "bad" game, and if you are the type of gamer who thought "wouldn't it be cool to command a Gears of War squadron (dressed in Mass Effect armor) in a turn-based game but without all those unnecessary strategic elements, new base building, and micro-managing" then this is the game for you. X-Com EU has loses the overall strategic gameplay, and is all turn-based action with Mass Effect armor and guns. Not for me, but who knows, there might be an big undiscovered market for this game type.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.