Year Walk PC

7.0

1. Jul 21, 2014
    WARNING: Many of the game's puzzles rely on the ability to hear and discern pitch, and follow a sound through a forest based on the strength of a sound. If you have a listening disability or can't discern off-key and out-of-tune notes, don't buy this game.

A true piece of art, but it's not for everyone. I'll give it a high mark because there's not a lot of this kind of thing I can point to on PC. I'd love to see more games like Flower and Journey, and the ones we do get aren't always successful in their aims. Its aim is to be pretty and atmospheric, and to encourage a kind of investigative approach to satisfying the forest characters' wants. It is not a traditional adventure game, or an RPG. It's not like Dear Esther, so you do more than simply walk, and the gameplay is much more involving than Gone Home, but again that's not saying much.

I'm European, and I spent my childhood in a place where the snows were deep, ice formed on the insides of our windows, and there was a forest nearby in which my friends and I would wander, and I learned about the world among a culture of folktales and the mysterious ancient ruins of buildings in which those stories' characters might have lived. This might have some bearing on why the game particularly touches me.
  2. May 25, 2014
    Year Walk is incredibly original. The storyline is very interesting, the art design is wonderful, the OST is haunting and beautiful, and the gameplay is solid. Year Walk is a great entry in the horror genre.
  3. Mar 10, 2014
    This is downright creepy, great little horror game with excellent atmosphere. The art style is reminiscent of the illustrations in Alvin Schwartz's "Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark", only more cartoon-ish. Washed out colours and a hauntingly subtle soundtrack set the mood perfectly. Turn the lights off, and immerse yourself for full effect.
  4. May 14, 2014
    Its a unique experience
    and everyone must play
    added to my all time favourite games

why didnt I play this before :)

iOS hit comes to PC

I recommend this to everyone
  5. Apr 19, 2014
    A lite point-and-click adventure game whose story is rooted in Swedish folklore. What stands out is the game's art style and sound design. The mood throughout the game is cold, foreboding and macabre. The puzzles are mostly easy and I found myself finishing the game in about three hours. The ending of the game is pretty spectacular. A must play, if you enjoy casual point-and-click adventures.
  6. Apr 6, 2014
    A very enjoyable game, and recommended for those who like a more artistic approach in some games. If you liked the Path, you will like this game also. A nice mix of lore, music/effects, visual imagery and esoteric puzzles. It's not perfect, I found the left/right/forward/back movement quite restrictive, making it more difficult to feel you are the character (perhaps a result of it alsoA very enjoyable game, and recommended for those who like a more artistic approach in some games. If you liked the Path, you will like this game also. A nice mix of lore, music/effects, visual imagery and esoteric puzzles. It's not perfect, I found the left/right/forward/back movement quite restrictive, making it more difficult to feel you are the character (perhaps a result of it also being a tablet/phone game). This made it difficult to enjoy initially on a PC. But stick with it and enjoy the visual flairs that appear as you work(walk) to the end. Solid and interesting (do read the journal ingame also). Expand
  7. May 13, 2014
    Elegant and subtle, with an ending that added an entirely new dimension. This is a small jewel amidst a sea of bland gruel and a worthy addition to the Steam library. Recommended.
  8. Mar 12, 2014
    Great game, eerie weird horror story, based on Swedish folklore. Amazingly well written, the story is macabre, the player just wants to go further and further and discover what happened in the end, full with macabre scenes. Sends the chills down the spine kind of environment, discover the forest in 2D plane, and point and click interactions.

The puzzles are perfectly challangeing, but

The puzzles are perfectly challangeing, but not too hard to draw the attention away from the story and other parts of the game. The artsy unique style surprisingly fits perfectly the horror mood.

All in all great game, only negative being that is very short.
  9. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is a testament to the evolution of gaming as a mixture of art forms. That sums up all of my thoughts for this review, but I shall carry on.
    First of all, I want to point out that the PC and iOS versions of the game are different, but I will be reviewing this one only. The iOS version gets the same score from me and if you have a chance to get both - rely on your judgement. I prefer the iOS version, because I like portability.One more note before I begin - this game wants you to get invested in it. If you are not willing to do so, don't bother. However, 3 hours of investment (tops! Nowadays I can beat this game in 30 minutes, so it depends on you) are very much worth it for the experience of it all.
    This game grabbed my attention months before it's release, just with it's teasers - they showed amazing promise and I won't lie - I was kind of dissapointed that the game wasn't what I was expecting. But then again - it was so much more, in a good way.
    Graphically this game looks amazing and you won't understand why by just looking up screenshots, you have to feel it. Seeing a horror game with such a graphical style is indeed rare and a bit odd, but it works better than you'd expect.
    The sound is masterfuly done, from the music to the sound effects that disturb the dead silence in the woods - this game has amazing sound either way.
    Story wise, at first, this game feels like nothing special. But it gives you something more by combining story and gameplay - it gives you an experience. This game is art at it's finest and I can't beging to dicuss the story without spoiling it. All I have to say is: Pay attention to get the most of it. It's worth it.
    And then we get to the gameplay. This game is what I would like to call radical. Everything from it's perspective to the way the puzzles are made are very inovative, yet intuitive. I rarely found myself without an idea of what I had to do - everything is clear as day, and while it might seem easy at times, it knows why it is easy - because it doesn't have to be hard. This game knows exactly how you - the player, are feeling at any given moment, and exploits that feeling perfectly - which is the idea for horror games. At times I just stop and soak it in - the atmosphere it creates is unbelievably eerie in such a good way.
    I want to talk about the differences between the iOS and PC version and why I think the original is better. The PC offers two, I believe, new locations, which is nice - gives you a reason to replay the game like I did, but it also includes a map system, which ruins the fun for me. One of the best things this game had to offer was the immersion of being lost in the forest. With this map, it's somewhat easier that it should be in my opinion. And lastly - one of the new added puzzles is pretty cheap, though interesting. All of this, by all means, is not something bad, I just wanted to say - try and play the game without the map if you can, though keep that menu bar open... you'll need it.
    In conclusion: Simogo is an amazing dev team. Every game of theirs is something unique and innovative and every time they get mentioned in the media, I get excited, and for good reason. Anyone who is interested in inovative gaming, gaming as art or horror and adventure games should see this game as soon as they can, because it's worth it. The only gripe I have with it overall is it's lenght, but that's something that Simogo titles are known for, however - I prefer short and briliant games to long and stupid ones.
    Also, the whole concept of a Year Walk is very interesting. I'll see you all infront of the church on Christmas.
  10. Mar 10, 2014
    Just as good

Year Walk has something fascinating. Behind the simple graphics and easy control hide
    - First-class puzzles are all creative
    - Entertaining adventure
    - A pinch of very good horror
    - A brilliant soundtrack
    - Beautiful music
    Another example that you can make a first-class match on the legs without much money.
  11. May 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved this game. This is the game that i'll play with every single friend and give them controls. It'll be really funny.
    About the game i can surely say that; amazing story and details, short and basic , not too much horror, beautiful soundtrack.
    Most impressive part is starting with -walk again?- after the first end of your play. Please, don't miss this. Otherwise you'll say "what the hell is that?" and maybe don't like the game.
    In conclusion, it worth your money.
  12. Nov 4, 2014
    Incredible puzzle game! It is different than any other game there is for its game play. Beautiful, interesting, and I highly recommend it. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer.
  13. Aug 11, 2014
    Original created for iOS by Swedish developer Simogo, Year Walk is a puzzle orientated horror game based on Scandinavian folklore, that finds the protagonist setting out on a quest to glimpse into the future (the titular year walk).

As with many iOs games it is very short and most will be able to complete it in little over an hour. Other than solving the, occasionally rather obscure, puzzles there is also little in the way of traditional gameplay although a generous hints system does ensure you rarely get stuck for too long. These minor issues are of no importance however when playing a title that will suck you in with its terrifying, yet strangely beautiful, atmosphere and leave you thinking about it well after the final credits role.

Turn out the lights, put your headphones and prepare to take a unique journey.
  14. Sep 13, 2014
    Year Walk is more than just a simple, elegant game. It's an adventure every gamer should have. Playthrough is just a couple of hours, but the experience will resonate with you much longer. I didn't hear much of it before I picked it up, so I don't know about the "hype" but it's definitely worth anyone's time, even those not into the genre (for isntance, me).
  15. Nov 24, 2015
    Mind-Blowing Point & Click

Overall: 76% (68.2/90)

Atmosphere: 8.5/10

Tutorial: 1/5

Cost-Benefit Ratio: 3/4
    System Requirements: 1/1
  16. Oct 24, 2015
    Year Walk is a 2013 adventure game developed and published by Swedish mobile game developer Simogo for iOS devices. The game is loosely based on an old Swedish tradition called "Årsgång".
  17. Mar 14, 2017
    pros:
    + Interesting and original story ( based on Swedish folklore )
    + Beautiful graphics and soundtrack + Amazing atmosphere + Cool puzzles ( some are kinda not obvious ) cons: - short story ( 2-3 hours ) -/+ If u like games based on jumpscares, this is not for you If you are looking for game that can set you scare , its cannot be enought for you . This game can give you only
    pros:
    + Interesting and original story ( based on Swedish folklore )
    + Beautiful graphics and soundtrack
    + Amazing atmosphere
    + Cool puzzles ( some are kinda not obvious )

cons:
    - short story ( 2-3 hours )
    -/+ If u like games based on jumpscares, this is not for you

If you are looking for game that can set you scare , its cannot be enought for you . This game can give you only strange feelings inside you . Game create amazing atmosphere with beautiful visual and audio aspects.
    Its one of the best "horrors" what i've ever play , but u still must ask yourself 2,5h of gameplay is worth 6$ ?

SCORE : 79/100

1. Jul 14, 2015
    For sheer artistry and inventiveness, Year Walk is a must play that demonstrates the power of folklore, games, and a familiar journey made strange.
  2. Mar 21, 2014
    A short but compelling adventure, definitely worth its price.
  3. Mar 18, 2014
    Year Walk's port to Steam is flawless, with the inventive iOS touch controls and beautifully artistic graphic and sound design immaculately recreated on the PC. The game takes full advantage of the extra hardware, cleverly utilizing a full surround soundscape to drench the player in the foreboding atmosphere of the haunted forest, while retaining the same striking animation, which suggests a nightmarish Edward Gorey picture book come to life.