Young Justice: Legacy PC

4.3

1. Nov 20, 2013
    I found the game rather repetitive and it got pretty samey very quickly. The online mode has yet to work which was a large reason why I picked the game up in the first place. The games graphics are behind by about 3-4 years and there are no graphics options for the pc version of this game. The game uses copy pasted gauntlet fights through out the game repeatedly and its a hardcore linearI found the game rather repetitive and it got pretty samey very quickly. The online mode has yet to work which was a large reason why I picked the game up in the first place. The games graphics are behind by about 3-4 years and there are no graphics options for the pc version of this game. The game uses copy pasted gauntlet fights through out the game repeatedly and its a hardcore linear game.

With that said the gameplay is not terrible. The story and the gameplay kept me interested all the way through to the end. The game took me about 9 hours to complete, including getting every collectible. I don't think the 30$ tag fits the game, however I did find myself enjoying the game which is the most important aspect of playing a video game.

Combat is very limited, characters seem to be pretty much the same with a different coat of paint. It did scratch my itch however for a super hero game that isn't a mmo and isn't a lego game, and IS on steam. So I give the overall experience of the game a 7.
  2. Nov 21, 2013
    Young Justice: Legacy (I am yet to find out if this name even means anything or was it just slapped on just to sound cool) is an unfinished yet somewhat decent game.

If a player can overlook the first impressions and just keep playing through teeth grinding it may actually come out as a little satisfying experience almost worth it's money. Graphics are at a only barely acceptable level, I have no idea why this game doesn't have cell shading or any lighting effects at all for that matter but it can be worked with as it's the rare instance where the game looks better than the cutscenes. The controls are the least of my problem, I've played far worse ports and so far it looks rather reasonable for what it is a half baked port of a console game. PC has no graphic setting options...

The gameplay is double-edged, some skills look flashy and fun but all characters have basically the same skillset under different paint (1= Long range poke 2=Signature move from the show/3=AOE move/4=Buff move). The combat while sometimes pretty satisfying feels lackluster as there is little happiness to be had from a three button combo system with a heart pounding two possible combo for each character. Also there is no flow to the combat as you have to have your character stand completely still to cast a skill which is a dumb decision no matter how you look at it.

Story is great, in fact story is one of those things giving you "Meh, this is OK, just one more level" kind of feelings keeping you attached to the game if only for a little longer. There is little enemy variety, while they all have different models most of them fall into the same categories: small pew pew robot. a basic crook, a guy with a gun, a large fellow or even larger fellow but the models mask it quite good and there is actual rewards for strategizing in combat taking out the radio towers to disable the small pewpew-bots or taking out armed enemies first rewards you in far easier time fighting.

Bosses are rather interesting and all have a pattern or a strategy to exploit yet don't feel too repetetive but somewhat inbalanced (could be my personal opinion) for example the first boss took me down three times while no other boss in the game later ever succeeded in doing it at least once, that may have been the issue due to extremely horrible AI but who am I to judge? Since I was playing the PC version no multiplayer for me. This is something that crushes at least two points from my score flat out because this is a game that would've benefited greatly from at least LAN or online co-op. This is even a bigger problem because the AI as I've mentioned leaves much to be desired even if it is hilarious most of the time. First time I've seen AI use a skill was about 8 minutes in the game, during my fight with the first boss the AI refused to take cover and blocked each and every missile she sent with their heads dying in the process. Half of my boss time was spent reviving those two chumps only for them to tank the boss and take her missiles again... Some missions later I didn't notice how my crew mates I've grown so attached to stuck on one single box that I left unbroken and couldn't follow me to the end of the level unfortunately nothing a long session of backtracking cannot fix...

The soundtrack wasn't a masterpiece but some of the background music was surprisingly decent and I even managed to enjoy it. Voice-over was done by the same cast of the show so no gripes there, those guys know how to do their job and do it rather well, better than some games I'd give a far higher rating. There were some issues with missing sounds and some punches or kicks in the cutscenes having no sound whatsoever so if you're easily turned off by missing sound bits you may get annoyed. Also the characters tend to throw a joke or two during the battle, I do not want to quote any since some only have one or two and I didn't find them very witty or nearly as good as the actual show or say Marvel Ultimate Alliance which is just flat out a better game altogether.

Overall the game may be half baked and lacking quite some features but there is still fun to be had if you're a fan of the show or if you just like the genre and are willing to sit through an hour or two of teeth grinding before you get used to the mediocrity that this game offers.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Dec 11, 2013
    A listless, unattractive squad-based action RPG that squanders its heroic potential.