6.5

1. Mar 3, 2013
    These games are old school rpg bliss. Worth every penny I spent, comes with the first and second game in the series. The only reason I rate it lower than a 10 is that the game is not that long, and it has lack of variation in the equipped weapons/armors looks. The game is challenging on the harder difficulties, and ys II is actually a well thought out, upgrade, of ys I. If you like old style rpgs that are NOT similar to final fantasy's turn based combat, then this is a game for you.

It features a bump system for combat, meaning you have to line your character up at an angle and not rush the enemy head on. However some of the level designs tend to force you to fight head on, when at a harder difficulty this can be your doom.
  2. Nov 24, 2013
    I love this release of the first two games of the Ys series. It's the old-school gameplay I love, with modern graphics and sound.

The games are a little on the short side, that's true, but the reviewer who mentioned 2-3 hours probably never played any of the games. It took me a little less than 10 hours to beat Ys 1 on Normal difficulty level, while I know the game very well from the
    Sega Master System version. I also have quite a few hours logged in the second game, and I still have a while until I beat it. So 2-3 hours? C'mon... Not even close to anything realistic. Probably a troll.

As for the bump system, it takes some getting used to, but once you're on top of it, it's actually fun and refreshing.

All in all, those games are a lot of fun and definitely worth getting.
  3. Jul 25, 2013
    If level capping, having all the gear in the game, and rolling the credits in 2-3 hours sounds like fun go for it. This game is literally so short it is not even worth playing. The "bump" system.... are you serious? You mean "lazy ass run into stuff system"? The first town you see in the game has 3/5 of the gear you get in the entire game. Don't let the pretty Japanese animation when you talk to item shop owners fool you. There is 0 content here. Seriously like 5 side quests, all the bosses you just run in circles then run into them, there are like 10 maps, this game is a waste of money even at $5. It starts off good, then you realize it's almost over, and there is nowhere to go, and nothing to do. I have played indie greenlight games made with rpgmaker better and richer with content than this. I would be so pissed if I didn't get this on the steam summer sale, what a joke. I love all the old school FF, breath of fire, amd dragon warrior games. But this is like 2% worth of an RPG. Level capping in 1.5 hours off the like 3rd map you run into, yeah, lots of fun here. Minimize the game and listen to the music, that is literally the best part of this demo (since I can't even call it a game). Expand
  4. Feb 3, 2014
    This game is just mediocre. It's not a bad game but it gives no satisfaction. Story seems on the weak side, graphics are pleasant, the music is good. The combat system is the weakest spot of the game. You have just to bounce on enemies. Weaponry too is just plain bad. I would not recommend this game, better to stick to other series (like Suikoden, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, etc.).
  5. Dec 31, 2013
    I have played a lot of J-rpgs in my day. This one is garbage. Do not even bother pirating this stupid game. I was under the impression that this would be a secret of manna clone, but it is far worse. This plays like a junior high computer class project. the "bump'" system is where you "bump" into enemies to deal damage. It is garbage. There is no skill, no challenge, not even an animation for the sprite. Garbage. There are better games for FREE on IOS. The developers should be ashamed of themselves. Its like they spent all their money on stupid anime cut scenes and nothing on the actual game programing. Only play this game if you REALLY love anime, and even then, this game is sooo bad, that you may STOP liking anime because it ruined it with its horrible cut scenes. Expand
  6. Aug 22, 2014
    I got all the way to Darn Tower and had enough of the game. Didn't even start Ys 2. I'm sure back then this was great but now days its just not very good. Everything about it is VERY primitive and simplistic. Ys came out originally in what 1990 or prior. Its not something I would recommend to people unless they are curious as how the games used to be.

PS: Oh and the people below that
    called it garbage and gave it 0's obviously don't know what they are talking about. This game is O-L-D. We are talking 20+ years. Its not like they had much to work with back then. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. May 7, 2013
    It’s curious that XSEED waited so long to publish Ys I & II Chronicles, as both games are visibly more primitive than their successors from 2012. Instead of dessert we were served a stale biscuit. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.70]
  2. Feb 27, 2013
    While both games feature a rather banal save-the-world plot, there's an underlying sense of mythology that remains just clouded enough to suggest a grander scheme. Although the characters are somewhat lifeless, the games themselves bear a strong sense of personality heightened by the music, the frenetic action, and the very sound of their name.
  3. Feb 18, 2013
    Everyone else should probably steer clear. The simple truth is there are better Ys games out there, ones that are already on Steam even. So check those out long before Chronicles+.