7.1

1. Nov 24, 2013
    I love this release of the first two games of the Ys series. It's the old-school gameplay I love, with modern graphics and sound.

The games are a little on the short side, that's true, but the reviewer who mentioned 2-3 hours probably never played any of the games. It took me a little less than 10 hours to beat Ys 1 on Normal difficulty level, while I know the game very well from the
    Sega Master System version. I also have quite a few hours logged in the second game, and I still have a while until I beat it. So 2-3 hours? C'mon... Not even close to anything realistic. Probably a troll.

As for the bump system, it takes some getting used to, but once you're on top of it, it's actually fun and refreshing.

All in all, those games are a lot of fun and definitely worth getting.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. May 7, 2013
    It’s curious that XSEED waited so long to publish Ys I & II Chronicles, as both games are visibly more primitive than their successors from 2012. Instead of dessert we were served a stale biscuit. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.70]
  2. Feb 27, 2013
    While both games feature a rather banal save-the-world plot, there's an underlying sense of mythology that remains just clouded enough to suggest a grander scheme. Although the characters are somewhat lifeless, the games themselves bear a strong sense of personality heightened by the music, the frenetic action, and the very sound of their name.
    Everyone else should probably steer clear. The simple truth is there are better Ys games out there, ones that are already on Steam even. So check those out long before Chronicles+.