8.8

1. Jul 24, 2012
    I noticed not many people are capable of writing a proper review, so I had to chime in. Ys Origin is NOT a console experience. Ys Origin is a PC exclusive. Although Falcom has recently turned to the psp and vita after they lost their PC distributor, they developed almost exclusively PC since the early 80s. The Zelda feeling people are getting should be flipped: the Ys series, which branched off from Dragonslayer, began in 1987. The first LoZ was released in 1986. Dragonslayer began in 1984. The modern day Zelda experience is absolutely nothing like Ys, and serves as a horrible comparison. Ys is traditionally known for its music and difficult boss fights. The composers are from the jdk sound team, which is the remnants of the jdk band from the early 90s. Their primary genre was metal. The boss fights and general gameplay is often cited as using button mashing. Unless you want to die every time, you won't use button mashing. Most boss fights have patterns and tiers, so you can't just inflict massive amounts of damage all at once. Many people also tend to think the gameplay requires grinding. Since levels only affect your base stats, this statement is false. The stages within boss fights do not allow you to do any more than a set amount of damage, so all grinding helps you with is staying alive longer if you get hit a lot. In short, grinding is only necessary if you're bad.

A single playthrough on Nightmare takes about 30 hours the first time through. There are 3 playable characters with different stories and boss fights, so a full, 100% completion of the story could take you 70 or 80 hours to complete. There is also a time attack mode for boss fights, which helps to add a bit more replay ability to the game. For $20, this is a great game that everyone should consider trying.
  2. Jun 6, 2012
    So far, so good! I'm getting my old school fix on my PC. The graphics are pretty, the action is quick. It's that Zelda/chrono trigger arpg formula that works so well. 360 game pad is supported out of the box, although the start button or select button don't bring up inventory. I'm sure I can map it, just saying. I love cranking the resolution and aa on these games, and this one responds well. The character models are pretty. The effects are solid. Currently playing on easy, anticipating that it will get plenty hard. If you're a PC gamer like me, who loves some console gaming on the pc , give Ys a shot. Expand
  3. Jun 24, 2012
    The graphics are old but still pretty, game play is awesome but has lack of combos, music is good on boss fights, playing on normal will force you to farm levels to beat bosses, old school scenarios and pretty good story, you need to configure the hotkeys if your planing to use a gamepad, game is perfect.
  4. Jan 4, 2013
    **For anyone who views this soon: Ys Origin is 50% off ($10) on steam for the next 25 hours. Don't wait! Grab it!**
    I'm new to the Ys series and I fell in love with the game immediately. It's a solid mix of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Torchlight, and Disgaea for those who are familiar with those franchises. The controls are fully configurable between keyboard, mouse, and game controller; you
    can have all of one or a mix. I found the defaults to be a bit awkward, but my version is very comfortable and effective for me (WASD: movement, QEZX: diagonal movement, 123: equip skill, left mouse button attack, right mouse button: use skill, middle mouse button: boost). Note that movement using the mouse is also an option. The gameplay is tons of fun and in real-time; I have only played as the melee character so far, but I'm eager to try out the mage character and the third unlockable character. I believe they each have unique stories/dialogue. As the melee character, you have a nice assortment of ground and aerial attacks that flow together and allow for combos and flexibility. The MP consuming skills look really cool, are a lot of fun, play in to different playstyles, and have hidden type-effectiveness against monsters. Your gear can be upgraded as you find better items in chests as well as get blessings or temper your weapon, but there isn't so much of it that you get bogged down with trying to "gear up" like WoW or Torchlight. The plot, character assortment, and character development is akin to watching a TV show; there's enough to keep you interested and know what's going on, but not so much that you get bored and want to skip. You *don't* have to grind much to keep up; clearing the rooms as you go along is enough. However, you *can* grind if you want to, because mobs in rooms respawn when you leave, like Zelda. Bosses are huge, cool, and fun to take down. You build a strategy and learn to read their attacks with each attempt, and it goes from hard to not so bad. On normal difficulty, the game is challenging without being overwhelming, which is really great since easy games get old quickly. There's also hard and nightmare difficulties for the brave and experienced. Healing and boosting items drop from mobs and are consumed instantly, so you have the challenge of not being able to control when you use them while also not having to worry about using them.
    Ys Origin also has great re-playability as I mentioned: Different protagonists with different attack-styles and different stories, many difficulties (very easy to nightmare), lots of upgrades to get (you might miss some on the first play-through), a long list of expensive blessings (permanent buffs) to armor and your character (faster MP regen, debuff duration reduction, etc.).
    I'm so glad I bought this game. I'm passed halfway and I've loved every minute. There's a demo on steam if you'd like to try that first; I haven't played the demo, but I can tell you that the actual game is wonderful.
  5. Aug 15, 2012
    Ys Origin is an amazing game in which all RPG players must get, if you are new to the series, Ys Origin is the best game to start at since it's a fully fledged prequel which explains to you the origins of the upcoming games. The gameplay and music will keep you hooked into the game and the amazing replay value and difficulty will bring appeal to players who usually dont enjoy RPGs or usually shy away from RPGs most of the time. Ys Origin is a true masterpiece with its nostalgic graphic style and well made art style for the character designs and environments. Both RPG and anime fans will surely love Ys Origin. Get it now on Steam as it is available! Expand
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    Amazing! It reminds me of playing an old hard game when things used to be difficult (when on highest difficulty setting) I'm addicted so far. This is definetley worth getting!
  7. Nov 23, 2012
    Falcom produces the best all age all gender ARPGs (The Ys series is the most popular one). The gameplay is smooth, button smashing and can be challenging. Like all Falcom ARPG games, the storyline is not long. But you can play with 3 different characters who have different perspective in the storyline. Ys origin is directly linked to the original Ys 1 and 2. The story happened in the past, and I am afraid that there is no Adol(The legendary red hair guy) this time. The fans of Ys series/Falcom games don't need to read my review to decide whether to buy this game or not, as they would have already got it I am sure. For those who have not play any Falcom games before, I would need to make a few things clear. Ys origin is not a 10years development top graphic hardcore 3D engine RPG game. It is more like a 2.5D ARPG (looking down at the character with layers of artwork), but trust me Falcom make this kind of games good with love!!! It is definitely the best gift for the Ys fans. Expand
  8. Jan 6, 2013
    An RPG well-done.
    Provides and interesting story and fair difficulty level as well as cleanly executed game-mechanics and physics.

Definitely worth-to-play.
  9. Oct 5, 2012
    Old-way jRPG still plays great. Amazing music, hard "very console-like" bosses (I mean, you need to attack at right time in right spot and dodging like crazy all other times). Close to impossible "nightmare" difficulty (at least for me). Great game.
  10. Aug 23, 2012
    Great Game for 20 bux well worth it. Play it on hard for extra fun. Can't give a 10 cuz its not perfect something's missing. but damn close to it for an indie game. Great boss fights. Fun game mechanics. Haven't beaten yet about 3/4 of the way up the tower with both the beginning characters (i know waiting on Claw, too). This game is like Zelda meets Castlevania ( GBA and DS) with Megaman X music (which is awesome). Expand
  11. Jan 13, 2013
    Ys Origin is a prequel to a long-running series of PC RPGs (Ancient Ys Vanished was released for the PC-88 in 1987 after branching from Falcom's other series, Dragon Slayer). However, if you haven't played Ys I and II, you'll still be able to enjoy Origin. Origin makes an excellent starting point in the series because, like the preceding Ys title (The Oath in Felghana, a remake of Ys III), it has unparallelled difficulty scaling. Unlike many action games/RPGs that simply buff enemy health and damage on higher difficulties, Ys Origin gives bosses extra attacks, makes enemies more aggressive, changes the mechanics on certain attacks to make them more difficult to dodge, and truly challenges the player. On Normal and lower, most bosses are only slightly challenging to an experienced player and have simplified patterns and attacks. For example, a boss that shoots a rapid-fire stream of magic missles at you on Normal will fire 3 sepearate streams on Hard, and on Nightmare, 5. Projectiles also may move faster and track you more accurately, and other attacks may have added AOE effects or leave the boss less open. These changes make is so that even inexperienced players can stand a chance on lower difficulties, and masters of action games will still have a grueling challenge awaiting them on the higher difficulty settings. You'll spend the majority of your time dungeon crawling and fighting bosses. While the dungeons can be challenging and most bosses will take dozens of attempts on the highest difficulty, it never gets tedious because you can simply re-try from the last checkpoint (which usually aren't too far apart) and during boss fights, you can simply start the fight over from the beginning without having to walk back to the encounter or watch an intro cutscene. While some might find he lack of punishment as a detraction, it's really a saving grace - you'll spend A LOT of time retrying boss fights on the hardest difficulty, as even the slightest mistake can turn the tides against you irrevocably. The boss fights demand perfection and mastery of the mechanics and skills, quick thinking, and careful planning without throwing unfair challenges at you like unavoidable attacks. However, it also demands that you carefully explore each area thoroughly for upgrades, equipment, and items that wil help you. Missing a single weapon upgrade can make some fights nigh-unwinnable, but thankfully it's pretty obvious when you've missed one.

There are 3 seperate playable characters in the story mode and while the story is nothing special and the characters are rather shallow, it's not much of a focus. However, the fact that the story isn't a focus doesn't mean it isn't there - there's just enough plot to keep you motivated to continue and while most characters are simplistic, they're still likable enough to grow attached to.

The music is arguably the best part of the game and while Origin's soundtrack suffers a bit overall compared to the rest of the series, it's still one of the best in the industry. The boss themes are fitting, keeping you on your toes, getting your blood pumping, and hyping you up for the encounter. In addition, the true final boss' theme (a remix of a theme from Ys II) is a brilliantly crafted and passionate piece that will simultaneously get you motivated and fill you with despair. Even if you don't like the game, it's at least worth giving the soundtrack a listen.

Overall Ys Origin is a fantastic experience and a must-play for fans of fast-paced and grueling action games, or anyone who enjoys a fun, thrilling ride with fantastic music and absurdly polished gameplay.
  12. Mar 14, 2013
    It is a simple and direct game. It's fun, fast paced and beautiful. Unlike another Ys titles, all the game is placed inside a great tower but each level of that tower has its own theme. I think Ys Origin is a very enjoyable game and I recommend it.
  13. Dec 3, 2013
    Let me start by saying, I am not a long term Ys fan. How could I be? Ys was criminally neglected back when I was a kid, I never had a Turbografx and therefore never got to experience it. Years later, with the internet I was able to learn about this series. I love it. Both the classic games and the newer ones. Let me explain why this game almost objectively deserves a 10. First, you need to play on nightmare. Nightmare should actually be the normal mode, as it's not actually that hard at all. All enemies are unique, and all have different attacks and patterns, which on nightmare, you will have to put effort into dodging. The bosses are guaranteed to kill you multiple times, and require you to learn their patterns and practice, which are exactly how bosses should be. You will have grind, but you'll have to do very little of it, even on nightmare. In fact, just by exploring you should be fine to face the bosses. If you realize you're too weak, do 5 minutes worth of grinding and you'll be good. On lower difficulties, which were probably used to review the game, Ys: Origin probably came off as not much more than a button masher where you can safely tank everything with little worries. The gameplay is almost perfect, and is extremely elegant in its simplicity. The graphics are great, 2D sprites on a 3D polygonal environment. The artwork is all top notch, with the women not being sexualized (which is a good thing, trust me). There's some really nice areas in the game, especially the water sections. The game has really low spec requirements, and it's a steal at $15, let alone $7.49 when it's on sale. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  14. Aug 14, 2014
    I've played other Ys games, and this one is by far my favorite At first, I was just skipping every conversation because I didn't really care about the story, I wanted action. And half an hour later, there I was reading every word xD The story is a bit cliche, but interesting enough to make you pay some attention The game mechanics are really nice, and fast-paced. Every area has a puzzle or something like that before you face a boss, and they are all pretty unique and awesome
    It reminds me Dark Souls, where you learn the patterns, but you can only win when you achieve perfection - which can be frustrating if you dislike challenge

And one more thing: controller support. I didn't bother myself trying mouse+keyboard, the controller makes it better
  15. Aug 18, 2013
    Its a good game alot of save points so if your the type that don't really have time to play alot this is perfect for you and it offers nice and challenging bosses
  16. Dec 29, 2013
    One of the best dynamic action RPG imo. My personal GotY 2012
    Thanks Falcom & Xseed for the Steam portage. Old school RPG, with cool manga style characters, superb OST, THE BEST vilain introduction music.

1. Aug 12, 2012
    A cute, quirky anime dungeon crawl that will cheerfully kick your arse until your nose starts bleeding. [Sept 2012, p.84]
  2. Jul 10, 2012
    Between the two Ys games released on Steam this year, I feel that Ys Origin is just that bit better than Ys: The Oath in Felghana. Both are great titles, but Origin builds on the formula with a solid, constructed experience from start to finish that never gets stale, great pacing, multiple and distinctive characters and a fast, in your face combat system. For £12.99 on Steam, you seriously cannot go wrong with checking out this top action RPG.
  3. Jul 9, 2012
    It's not perfect and certainly has its share of hiccups, but if you go in expecting to tear up some mean guys and rock out to some great music, you'll definitely be happy. And with a $20 price tag, you really can't go wrong.