Zeno Clash PC

7.9

1. Dec 8, 2014
    Very unique game. The story is off-bunkers, the ambiance and setting - out-worldly. It reminds me of an old "Planescape Torment" RPG, back in the day - it had the same atmosphere.
    Gameplay pretty solid, although repetitive; still, it is original enough to keep me playing. And the story is whack, like i said! :)
  2. May 18, 2011
    Wow. It is really impossible to describe this game in words--It is just so far out there, but not in a bad way. You've never played a game like this. Maybe if you have been on acid and LSD simultaneously, you might have a clue. The characters, monsters, story, weapons, and scenery are just plain crazy. With a decent melee combat system, it's hard not to recommend it. Just don't play itWow. It is really impossible to describe this game in words--It is just so far out there, but not in a bad way. You've never played a game like this. Maybe if you have been on acid and LSD simultaneously, you might have a clue. The characters, monsters, story, weapons, and scenery are just plain crazy. With a decent melee combat system, it's hard not to recommend it. Just don't play it with any far fetched expectations and stick with it to the end. Smoking a joint or two before you begin wouldn't hurt either. Expand
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    Awesome game, nice graphics, animation, combat and history. The only Flaw is that its too short, but hey, it was made by a small developer who just proved its potential and its already making Zeno Clash 2, that will have n open world and RPG elements. Its a great buy for its price!!
  4. JeffS
    Dec 2, 2009
    Not for everybody, but if you are interested in the strange and the bizarre, this game is worth your attention. The surreal universe is reminiscent of Dark Crystal, Mirrormask, Labyrinth, and the like. Characters and plot are relatively weak, but the visuals are stunning. Won't win game of the year, but for 4 hours and $7, it's worth it to enjoy the setting and eye candy.
  5. MarkT
    Apr 28, 2009
    I feel a little guilty about the 7, because the story is so fabulously weird (I confess, I am only an hour in or so) and the characters so gorgeous. I love these creatures.. straight from a twisted fairy tale, in the style of Pan's Labyrinth. But the gameplay is so extraordinarily constricting. The combat is fun enough, for sure... but this is the most on rails game I have ever I feel a little guilty about the 7, because the story is so fabulously weird (I confess, I am only an hour in or so) and the characters so gorgeous. I love these creatures.. straight from a twisted fairy tale, in the style of Pan's Labyrinth. But the gameplay is so extraordinarily constricting. The combat is fun enough, for sure... but this is the most on rails game I have ever played. You basically move from one cramped arena to the next, with unsettling cut scenes in between. The scenes are great, the oddness is great - I wish I could give this a higher score - but the gameplay gets very old very soon. I suspect this is something you will dip into now and again, but an extended session would be much too boring. that said, despite the 7, I do recommend this as a decent $20 spent, simply to experience the great atmosphere. Expand
  6. Feb 10, 2011
    I have to say this game was a surprising revelation. i went in expecting a very average game and got something a little more then i expected. Yes it looks dated yes the guns are a little underwhelming, but what it provides is a very fun little brawler. The use of hand to hand combat in this game is fun though on occasion a little annoying but well done to the developers who have made aI have to say this game was a surprising revelation. i went in expecting a very average game and got something a little more then i expected. Yes it looks dated yes the guns are a little underwhelming, but what it provides is a very fun little brawler. The use of hand to hand combat in this game is fun though on occasion a little annoying but well done to the developers who have made a interesting title which is short enough that it does not overstay its welcome. Expand
  7. Apr 21, 2012
    It's not a bad game, but the combat system and the story being short, the graphic doesn't looks bad however, anyway in 2-3 hours at max you will have completed it already so i suppose you can find something else better to buy.
  8. Samuel
    May 9, 2009
    The visuals are awe inspiring, the creativity lush and invigorating, and the storyline remarkable in its audacity for being entirely abstract. From the first punch you throw to the last skull bomb you throw, this game is a vibrant and lucid thrill ride.
  9. kylebj
    May 5, 2009
    WEIRD does not equal GOOD. You fight the controls in this game more than the characters. It's got a completely unnecessary lock-on function that will have you cursing in frustration when it won't allow you to move how you want. LONG parts of the game are boring and unchallenging (the river part, WTF?). It's also very repetitive--no real puzzles, just the same fighting WEIRD does not equal GOOD. You fight the controls in this game more than the characters. It's got a completely unnecessary lock-on function that will have you cursing in frustration when it won't allow you to move how you want. LONG parts of the game are boring and unchallenging (the river part, WTF?). It's also very repetitive--no real puzzles, just the same fighting scheme with more characters added to increase difficulty. The voice acting is also very bad, even by indie game standards. It does have some unique characters I won't forget soon. Expand
  10. JamesP
    Apr 25, 2009
    To be frank...this is pretty poor. I don't know whether any of you ever played those old Half life 1 games using the old engine, but this felt like a mod fit for the first half life, not the source engine. This thing looks lovely, honestly lovely, but it's not that great. It's not really about melee, it's a hype. Whenever I could I would pick up a gun and shoot To be frank...this is pretty poor. I don't know whether any of you ever played those old Half life 1 games using the old engine, but this felt like a mod fit for the first half life, not the source engine. This thing looks lovely, honestly lovely, but it's not that great. It's not really about melee, it's a hype. Whenever I could I would pick up a gun and shoot whatever was comming toward me, because melee combat in FPS is really borring, it's always been best suited to Third Person in a 3D game. This isn't "Dark Messiah", the melee is borring and repretitive, Id you want a game where you can stab things, punch things and really play with the source engine in melee, really do funny things to your enemies in big beautiful environments with swords and armour and a little RPG thrown in for good measure, without taking away from the fantastic 3PS sword plat, but "Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic". Zeno Clash is a lovely looking universe, the story was novel, but it's been done. Don't get me wrong I loved the steam punk universe with all the crazy modelling, but the gameplay is flaccid. Here's the krutch guys, it's source, and you don't play with the environment, you don't do silly things with physics and the funniest thing is, you can't jump. Thats right, there is no jumping in Zeno Clash. For your enemies? Sure go for it. Not you. This is linear, linear, linear. To give you an idea of how linear, "The Ultimate Doom" is less linear. That game was made in 1993. This game was made in 2009. If you want a good punchem-up now, go back and get a Sega Megadrive emulator, now, find a copy of "Streets of Rage". Enjoy it. If you want weapons and swords and a gorgeous source powered universe, buy "Dark Messiah". If you want a good shooter, buy "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare". To cap it, this is one time play through of a game that takes half an hour to complete on medium difficulty. Why won't I play it on hard now? Because I know the end of the story, it was rubbish. The only thing that kept me in was because "somehow" through this bad 1995 "Star Wars, Dark Forces" 'don't jump' gameplay, was a storyworld that was compelling. Do I want to play the game again now the story is over? No. Waist of my £11, I will never play this game again. Expand
  11. Jan 4, 2011
    Nice creature concepts and vistas, but ultimately not worth the payout, even on a sale day on steam. Story is 100% linear, despite some reviews here (ViscountA), voice acting is appalling (obligatory Clint Eastwood sound-a-like and co-star that would appear to be not very comfortable with reading the script) and some very dodgy attempts to introduce slang terminology which just does notNice creature concepts and vistas, but ultimately not worth the payout, even on a sale day on steam. Story is 100% linear, despite some reviews here (ViscountA), voice acting is appalling (obligatory Clint Eastwood sound-a-like and co-star that would appear to be not very comfortable with reading the script) and some very dodgy attempts to introduce slang terminology which just does not work, IMO.
    Combat engine is certainly different, but ultimately hampered by the "locking" concept, as mentioned by others here.
    There is no real depth to the story, with each step just an excuse for an out of context fight with weapons that magically appear in your inventory and then get randomly discarded. Weapons have unlimited reloads and as such means there is no real need for considered strategy other then the formulaic Boss fights.
    Quite how it managed to win "PCGamer 2009 Game of the Year" (listed on Steam store page) I don't know - it does not deserve it.
  12. Jan 8, 2011
    This game was so promising, but in the end it turned out to be a massive waste of potential. It feels like there's a much bigger game in this, but for whatever reason the bulk of it was cut and never saw the light of day. The story makes no sense, and not because it's bizarre, but rather because it's missing large chunks. Like the ending. Instead, it's padded with what I assume wasThis game was so promising, but in the end it turned out to be a massive waste of potential. It feels like there's a much bigger game in this, but for whatever reason the bulk of it was cut and never saw the light of day. The story makes no sense, and not because it's bizarre, but rather because it's missing large chunks. Like the ending. Instead, it's padded with what I assume was intended to be "weird" and "atmospheric" but just ends up being redundant and irrelevant.

Other people praise it for its gameplay, which is just about mediocre, but a game with this much potential should not have been written so poorly and ineptly. The characters are flat, boring and uninspired. Every single line of dialogue that comes out of their mouths is exposition, every single action they take serves as a plot point. None of the named characters have any personality whatsoever. This doesn't make them weird. It makes them badly written.

Visually, the game fails to deliver. There are several interesting set pieces, such as a beached whale and large walking things, but if you've seen a trailer, you've seen them all. Beyond that, it's essentially Heart of Darkness meets Another World. If you're looking for a "weird" setting and story, try either of those. Both are better written and more fun to play.

The combat is clunky, stiff, limited and very, very repetitive to the point of boredom. If you've fought one large enemy, you've fought them all. If you've fought one humanoid enemy, you've fought them all. Even Father-Mother isn't all that distinct. Weapons are slow, cumbersome and largely useless anyway, making the achievement for not using any a no-brainer. It's an interesting idea, to be sure, but it's so cumbersome it just doesn't work. If you want a game that mixes weapons and and hand-to-hand combat, try Bungie's Oni. This is just slow.

The only reason I don't give this title the lowest score I can is because I can appreciate the effort and I can appreciate the innovation. There really is a very good, very interesting game buried somewhere in Zeno Clash, but Zeno Clash itself ain't it. Contrary to people's opinions, I feel this would have been best served as a big-budget studio title, as they would have been able to spring for a decent writer, talented voice actors and actually a complete game that isn't padded to extremes and still far too short while missing any real depth.

Zeno Clash should have been more than Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and it just isn't.
  13. JohnW
    Apr 24, 2009
    I bought this game because of the originality of the character design, and for that I give it credit... But you've got to be kidding... This game currently has a 9.2 user rating. That puts it up there with HalfLife2... The controls suck, the action is repetitive and the graphics engine looks 10 years old. I played through the first 5 levels and uninstalled it. I understand this was I bought this game because of the originality of the character design, and for that I give it credit... But you've got to be kidding... This game currently has a 9.2 user rating. That puts it up there with HalfLife2... The controls suck, the action is repetitive and the graphics engine looks 10 years old. I played through the first 5 levels and uninstalled it. I understand this was an independent game, and I tried to like it, but if it's just not fun to play, then what's the point. Expand
  14. Jul 23, 2011
    Prepare to descend into the realm of the bizarre. An *almost* perfect FPS alternative that delivers on so many levels. Every moment of this brilliantly executed game feels like a bad nightmare that you cannot wake from. Yes, it may not be flawless - but what game is?
  15. ErikN
    Apr 24, 2009
    Im not sure why everyones giving this game such a high rating.. i found it moderately entertaining, rather trippy and the voice overs.. the voice overs are just terrible. the melee combat isn't worth my $20. an what's up with all the men having oversized nipples and asses? theres no end to the weridness when it comes to zeno clash.
  16. DexterD
    Jan 3, 2010
    Something different and refreshing, loved the universe, and the artwork behind the various kinds of characters. The game is bug free, action oriented with some awesome hand to hand combat. I loved it, and yes, I bought it off Steam for just USD $4.99. Well and truly worth every cent.
  17. MikelF
    Apr 24, 2009
    Stunning visual design and combat system, although it would be great a bit more of freedom.
  18. Bi0mesis
    Apr 28, 2009
    Awesome game, may be a bit expensive since you can complete it in about 3 hours (I guess "average" players will do it in about 4 hours) but the work put into the graphic arts, music and other effects make this game a must-play in the Indie world. 10/10, for a Indie game, this is amazing, I hope it's only the beginning of the adventure for ACE!
  19. MarkH
    Jun 4, 2009
    The hand to hand combat is excellent, and works flawlessly - or it would do if it weren't hampered by needless and clumsy lock-on system. Fighting over a weapon on the ground becomes a fight with the controls as the button that cycles your targets is the same button that picks up weapons when you're looking at them - making it near impossible to pick up a weapon when an enemy is The hand to hand combat is excellent, and works flawlessly - or it would do if it weren't hampered by needless and clumsy lock-on system. Fighting over a weapon on the ground becomes a fight with the controls as the button that cycles your targets is the same button that picks up weapons when you're looking at them - making it near impossible to pick up a weapon when an enemy is near it. The shooting, while nothing special, initially detracts from the game, but becomes more fluid as it continues. It still amounts to nothing beyond average in this aspect, though. The game is short but challenging, and left me with an overall sense of enjoyment. I couldn't help but think that the surreal storyline and characters were often weird purely for the sake of weirdness itself. As a first person brawler, it is quietly revolutionary, but this shining aspect is muffled by the storyline, unecessary lock-on system, and mediocre shooting. I suspect that the developers lacked confidence in the brawling aspect, and felt some people may become disoriented by the pace of such close-up action - that would explain why they added so much needless fluff onto anotherwise great game. Expand
  20. RB
    Jul 13, 2009
    Excellent game, truly unique and beautiful whilst also being brilliant to play. pros: very VERY fun, looks great, story is great, characters are great, very original, gameplay never gets boring cons: voice acting isn't very good, some characters feel a bit pointless (a woman follows you from the start and does nothing at all for the whole game) the biggest downfall is that it is very Excellent game, truly unique and beautiful whilst also being brilliant to play. pros: very VERY fun, looks great, story is great, characters are great, very original, gameplay never gets boring cons: voice acting isn't very good, some characters feel a bit pointless (a woman follows you from the start and does nothing at all for the whole game) the biggest downfall is that it is very short, you have some challenges in the challenge tower to get into, and some achievements to do in the main game, but they don't last long- it is a very replayable game, but it is too short. btw, people complaining about the lock on- you can turn it off in the options! lol oh and to slore- you say they are reusing the same models for enemies, its because they are the same enemies! have you not noticed that they seem to know who you are? they are the same characters. I really don't know how you can say the characters look bad at all, they are the most imaginative and beautiful characters i have EVER seen in a game. Expand
  21. MW
    Oct 10, 2009

did not have the brilliant combat system, I would have had no regrets buying it simply because of the beautiful, awe-inspiring environments that are experienced through the whole game. Combined with a fantastic combat system and excellent musical score, Zeno Clash is an unforgettable experience.
  22. EricP.
    Apr 22, 2009
    Pretty darn good! The hand to hand fighting mechanics are extremely satisfying and the visual design is refreshingly unique and occasionally jaw dropping. While the story is a bit inexplicable and the voice acting seems off at times, in some cases it fits with the game's overall surreality. The game is only about 5 hours long (I imagine a bit longer if one bothers with thePretty darn good! The hand to hand fighting mechanics are extremely satisfying and the visual design is refreshingly unique and occasionally jaw dropping. While the story is a bit inexplicable and the voice acting seems off at times, in some cases it fits with the game's overall surreality. The game is only about 5 hours long (I imagine a bit longer if one bothers with the challenges), but at a price tag of $20 I think it was worth it. Expand
  23. louism
    Apr 24, 2009
    This is a really nice buy. It's a bit short, true, but for $20 you're going to have alot more fun than for most $50 games. I know the team who made it and you can see the effort put in as you play. It's a refreshing change from most modern games where gameplay actually matters as part of the design instead of being just a feature bullet point. A+C and the rest great work. This is a really nice buy. It's a bit short, true, but for $20 you're going to have alot more fun than for most $50 games. I know the team who made it and you can see the effort put in as you play. It's a refreshing change from most modern games where gameplay actually matters as part of the design instead of being just a feature bullet point. A+C and the rest great work. And the Mucalactic reference as well. Expand
  24. Ywrik
    Apr 25, 2009
    This game IS fun. It reminds me old Amiga classic "Shadow of the beast" that i loved. World art is beuatiful, with lot of colours. Combat is very satisfying, i love to play tower challenges on and on, even I finished main campaign several days before - this game somehow sticks to your mind:) . Im looking forward next chapters, that hopefully will come soon - id like to discover that This game IS fun. It reminds me old Amiga classic "Shadow of the beast" that i loved. World art is beuatiful, with lot of colours. Combat is very satisfying, i love to play tower challenges on and on, even I finished main campaign several days before - this game somehow sticks to your mind:) . Im looking forward next chapters, that hopefully will come soon - id like to discover that mysterious link between the golem and ghat, when golem got the injury from hunter....I overall enjoyed the feeling of mystery and surreal atmosphere of the game. This is title is must have. Far better than lets say Mass Efect, that bored me with its repetitiveness after few hours of gameplay. Many thanks to ACE team - i missed game that artistic for years. Expand
  25. TimothyS
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fantastic game, totally blew me away. There are some minor flaws (check out the official forums for a comprehensive overview), but overall it's an excellent title, and a stunning debut. That they're already working on free content updates just adds to the value. Recommended!
  26. HarveyD
    Jun 19, 2009
    Let's get this out of the way now, so people don't get confused: Zeno Clash is a Half-Life 2 MOD. That's what it is, and anyone expecting a full-blown original gameplay masterpiece is going to be more than a little disappointed. About the only new gameplay mechanic you will find in this game is a melee system that rarely gets used to its full potential. In fact what little Let's get this out of the way now, so people don't get confused: Zeno Clash is a Half-Life 2 MOD. That's what it is, and anyone expecting a full-blown original gameplay masterpiece is going to be more than a little disappointed. About the only new gameplay mechanic you will find in this game is a melee system that rarely gets used to its full potential. In fact what little gameplay elements the game seeks to exemplify are muddled by poor, and occasionally, frugal level design. The game is deserving of one accolade, however, and that is the plethora of props and characters meshes produced by the team. It's just a shame that those same characters do not add any value to game; they remain hollowed peons of a supposedly story-driven game. It is a damn shame, because when I got a chance to play this game at GDC and spoke to its creators, I was getting the impression that there were going to be evolving themes and motifs about perseverance. Instead the game's story randomly spurs the aid of a "Demigod" of sorts to draw a close to the story. From the lack of growth to the poor gameplay mechanics, it seems that the game falls prey to the ambitions of a group of individuals who halfway through production, realized they did not know the rudimentary rules of proper game design. But, in all truth, I would have rated this game closer to a 7.5. In the end it's a heavily stylized mod, but it never really pushes its identity past being more than just a mod. Expand
  27. jh
    Jun 29, 2009
    A great brawler, though succinct. I bought it at a Steam sale for $10, completed it (according to Steam), in 3.5 hours. I felt the storyline and art design were both above average, but not something that would push it into classic status. I think it perfectly fits the definition of a 7.0 game. I don't think most people will be interested enough to complete the challenges included in A great brawler, though succinct. I bought it at a Steam sale for $10, completed it (according to Steam), in 3.5 hours. I felt the storyline and art design were both above average, but not something that would push it into classic status. I think it perfectly fits the definition of a 7.0 game. I don't think most people will be interested enough to complete the challenges included in the recent DLC. Good, but not awesome or anything. Expand
  28. KyleD
    Jun 5, 2009
    Quite good. Bizarre, interesting world. I think the combat system is quite repetitive. I enjoyed the game, but it was missing something, but I just don't know what.
  29. ZmobsC
    Dec 2, 2009
    Zeno Clash is an Brawler. Many people start playing this game with false preconceptions. First and foremost, the game is an arena-style brawler. It's basically a 3D rendition of games like Double Dragon and Final Fight. As such, the combat is repetitive and the levels are very, very linear. Where this game shines is in it's art. Maybe the engine is the most technologically Zeno Clash is an Brawler. Many people start playing this game with false preconceptions. First and foremost, the game is an arena-style brawler. It's basically a 3D rendition of games like Double Dragon and Final Fight. As such, the combat is repetitive and the levels are very, very linear. Where this game shines is in it's art. Maybe the engine is the most technologically advanced, but the art direction is superb. Visuals alone, this game is very memorable. The story could have been more fleshed out, and the voice acting is pretty poor, but they aren't the focus of the game. Those that rate it very low seem to have a very skewed view of art or pass of anything different or weird as bad. I hope to see more from this developer. Expand
  30. AD
    Dec 29, 2009
    Amazing game. Nice story, shame it was a bit short but it isn't all about what happens in that. The tower challenges add a few more hours onto your gameplay time. Took me 10 hours to finish the story and the challenges including -1 -2 and -3 challenge levels. I like it how weapons aren't a "need" to "kill" things. Melee combat was pretty awesome for saying it's a source Amazing game. Nice story, shame it was a bit short but it isn't all about what happens in that. The tower challenges add a few more hours onto your gameplay time. Took me 10 hours to finish the story and the challenges including -1 -2 and -3 challenge levels. I like it how weapons aren't a "need" to "kill" things. Melee combat was pretty awesome for saying it's a source mod. There's some nice combos you can do fighting opponents and it's satasfying to watch the other guy fly off the top of your screen :D. Looking at one of the previous reviews, I was shocked that they said the game had no gameplay or story at all. Expand

1. Zeno Clash is what a future cult favourite looks like. With a wickedly brutal melee engine, and some jaw-dropping visual design, this gorgeously demented indie brawler is short but sweet.
  2. While I would have liked to see a bit more emphasis on the melee combat and less on shooting, I think you’ll still find that most battles give you a bit of a rush and are enjoyable to play, particularly the unique boss battles.
  3. A fantastically involving and solid fighting game, enhanced by being set in one of the most imaginative and beautiful universes in the medium.