Zeno Clash PC

8.0

1. ViscountA
    Apr 23, 2009
    Zeno clash is like playing through a really trippy dream with crazy beasts, a non-linear storyline and some pretty messed up creatures and landscapes. The art style is fantastic with care taken in each area. The gameplay is smooth, with the only complaint in the entire game being the autolock system. I'm still giving this game a 10 because its a unique game that delivered. The screen Zeno clash is like playing through a really trippy dream with crazy beasts, a non-linear storyline and some pretty messed up creatures and landscapes. The art style is fantastic with care taken in each area. The gameplay is smooth, with the only complaint in the entire game being the autolock system. I'm still giving this game a 10 because its a unique game that delivered. The screen caps are AS good as the live action and it kept up on the promised gameplay. This game did NOT disappoint. Expand
  2. AurelianoF
    Apr 24, 2009
    One of the best indie games i have ever played! Everything on this game it's just too epic that i can't explain!! 10/10 Support Indie Developers!! Cheers!
  3. Samuel
    May 9, 2009
    The visuals are awe inspiring, the creativity lush and invigorating, and the storyline remarkable in its audacity for being entirely abstract. From the first punch you throw to the last skull bomb you throw, this game is a vibrant and lucid thrill ride.
  4. DeseckM
    Apr 24, 2009
    This game is hands down a ten out of ten. I loved every second of it, and can't wait for a sequel. I don't know what crawled up the butts of the critics and died. I cannot recommend this game enough. Don't pay attention to the critics.
  5. Bi0mesis
    Apr 28, 2009
    Awesome game, may be a bit expensive since you can complete it in about 3 hours (I guess "average" players will do it in about 4 hours) but the work put into the graphic arts, music and other effects make this game a must-play in the Indie world. 10/10, for a Indie game, this is amazing, I hope it's only the beginning of the adventure for ACE!
  6. YervantB
    Jan 12, 2010
    I highly recommend this game. Every second of it was fun and memorable. I beat it in one night, but it was so good i wanted more.. I kept replaying the challenges I unlocked after winning the game, that helped me blow off some of the anxiety I had from wanting more. Yes, the game is odd, and some people like to bash creativity, but i want more of this weird crap. Sequel please.
  7. Ywrik
    Apr 25, 2009
    This game IS fun. It reminds me old Amiga classic "Shadow of the beast" that i loved. World art is beuatiful, with lot of colours. Combat is very satisfying, i love to play tower challenges on and on, even I finished main campaign several days before - this game somehow sticks to your mind:) . Im looking forward next chapters, that hopefully will come soon - id like to discover that This game IS fun. It reminds me old Amiga classic "Shadow of the beast" that i loved. World art is beuatiful, with lot of colours. Combat is very satisfying, i love to play tower challenges on and on, even I finished main campaign several days before - this game somehow sticks to your mind:) . Im looking forward next chapters, that hopefully will come soon - id like to discover that mysterious link between the golem and ghat, when golem got the injury from hunter....I overall enjoyed the feeling of mystery and surreal atmosphere of the game. This is title is must have. Far better than lets say Mass Efect, that bored me with its repetitiveness after few hours of gameplay. Many thanks to ACE team - i missed game that artistic for years. Expand
  8. TimothyS
    Apr 26, 2009
    Fantastic game, totally blew me away. There are some minor flaws (check out the official forums for a comprehensive overview), but overall it's an excellent title, and a stunning debut. That they're already working on free content updates just adds to the value. Recommended!
  9. AD
    Dec 29, 2009
    Amazing game. Nice story, shame it was a bit short but it isn't all about what happens in that. The tower challenges add a few more hours onto your gameplay time. Took me 10 hours to finish the story and the challenges including -1 -2 and -3 challenge levels. I like it how weapons aren't a "need" to "kill" things. Melee combat was pretty awesome for saying it's a source Amazing game. Nice story, shame it was a bit short but it isn't all about what happens in that. The tower challenges add a few more hours onto your gameplay time. Took me 10 hours to finish the story and the challenges including -1 -2 and -3 challenge levels. I like it how weapons aren't a "need" to "kill" things. Melee combat was pretty awesome for saying it's a source mod. There's some nice combos you can do fighting opponents and it's satasfying to watch the other guy fly off the top of your screen :D. Looking at one of the previous reviews, I was shocked that they said the game had no gameplay or story at all. Expand
  10. FacelordG
    Apr 23, 2009
    One of the best games ever made, this game is an absolute must-have for any PC gamer. I absolutely love this game, and I'm sure anyone else who plays this game all the way through would admit that this is one of the most original games ever made(if not, THE most). Artistically, this game isn't comparable to many games. The art style is so much different from anything else on the One of the best games ever made, this game is an absolute must-have for any PC gamer. I absolutely love this game, and I'm sure anyone else who plays this game all the way through would admit that this is one of the most original games ever made(if not, THE most). Artistically, this game isn't comparable to many games. The art style is so much different from anything else on the market that it's arguably as artsy as games get in the visual sense, but when you consider the story and the amazing cinematic feel of it all you can easily see that there's more to it than pretty visuals and an amazingly realized world. I would compare this to Final Fantasy 9 for holding a special place in my heart, but this game is shrewdly mature(not in an M-rated sense, either). This game is appropriate for teenagers, but adults and older teens might get the most out of the deep story, with its twists and turns, mature plot(I'm gonna compare it to The Watchmen in some regards, and Pan's Labyrinth in others), and beautiful execution. This is my favorite video game at this point in time. Expand
  11. Apr 13, 2012
    This game is unlike anything I have ever played. The biggest breath of fresh air I have taken in a long time. This game is challenging, charming in the most bizarre way and badass all at the same time. The story is great and nothing about this game is cookie cutter. Nothing! It's fun and worth your time, I promise you that. If you love games like I do you need to play this!
  12. May 27, 2014
    Whoa! This game is a work of art. What, with all the bad - but constantly overhyped, over publicized - games out there costing 30, sometimes even 60 dollars, this game is actually good, original and fun! I'm having so much fun with this game that for the first time in my life I'm giving it a second playthrough immeditaly after finishing the game for the first time.

It's focused on

It's focused on melee, but there are all sorts of crazy guns. It's a very, very different fantasy setting, but this is great 'cause the weirdness only makes it more fun.

If you're looking for something new, be glad you read this review. Purchase without fear.
  13. Dec 10, 2012
    Awesome game, nice graphics, animation, combat and history. The only Flaw is that its too short, but hey, it was made by a small developer who just proved its potential and its already making Zeno Clash 2, that will have n open world and RPG elements. Its a great buy for its price!!
  14. Jan 28, 2013
    It is an awesome game with different elements.In my opinion it is mostly an FPS/Fighting hybrid.Let's start with the graphics.The graphics are visually good but not excellent and the textures of the different kinds of enemies and weapons are nice.The gameplay is a bit repetitive but the fights in the game are awesome and different from the other games.The story is good but not so excitingIt is an awesome game with different elements.In my opinion it is mostly an FPS/Fighting hybrid.Let's start with the graphics.The graphics are visually good but not excellent and the textures of the different kinds of enemies and weapons are nice.The gameplay is a bit repetitive but the fights in the game are awesome and different from the other games.The story is good but not so exciting and it is short,it took me 5 hours to complete the game.It also has a list of challenges but they are difficult so I have played only one of them. Expand
  15. May 4, 2013
    This is a rare game. it somehow manages to become art not just through the design, but thru the story as well. Its main draw back is that it is short.
  16. Oct 7, 2013
    One of the best melee combat games i have played. Beautiful stages and intense combat. Nice story, and beautifuls characters. The game don't have some bugs.
  17. DexterD
    Jan 3, 2010
    Something different and refreshing, loved the universe, and the artwork behind the various kinds of characters. The game is bug free, action oriented with some awesome hand to hand combat. I loved it, and yes, I bought it off Steam for just USD $4.99. Well and truly worth every cent.
  18. AnonymousMC
    Apr 29, 2009
    VERY impressive indie effort by first time game developer ACE. The graphics are beyond what you would normally expect from a Source engine game, the sound is engaging, the storytelling immersive, and the combat brutal and loads of fun. $20 for a five-hour romp may not do it for a lot of folks, but Zeno Clash is a game everyone should at least try.

I can't wait to see what else this

I can't wait to see what else this company puts out in the future. I'll be looking for a full title!
  19. MikelF
    Apr 24, 2009
    Stunning visual design and combat system, although it would be great a bit more of freedom.
  20. RB
    Jul 13, 2009
    Excellent game, truly unique and beautiful whilst also being brilliant to play. pros: very VERY fun, looks great, story is great, characters are great, very original, gameplay never gets boring cons: voice acting isn't very good, some characters feel a bit pointless (a woman follows you from the start and does nothing at all for the whole game) the biggest downfall is that it is very Excellent game, truly unique and beautiful whilst also being brilliant to play. pros: very VERY fun, looks great, story is great, characters are great, very original, gameplay never gets boring cons: voice acting isn't very good, some characters feel a bit pointless (a woman follows you from the start and does nothing at all for the whole game) the biggest downfall is that it is very short, you have some challenges in the challenge tower to get into, and some achievements to do in the main game, but they don't last long- it is a very replayable game, but it is too short. btw, people complaining about the lock on- you can turn it off in the options! lol oh and to slore- you say they are reusing the same models for enemies, its because they are the same enemies! have you not noticed that they seem to know who you are? they are the same characters. I really don't know how you can say the characters look bad at all, they are the most imaginative and beautiful characters i have EVER seen in a game. Expand
  21. MW
    Oct 10, 2009

did not have the brilliant combat system, I would have had no regrets buying it simply because of the beautiful, awe-inspiring environments that are experienced through the whole game. Combined with a fantastic combat system and excellent musical score, Zeno Clash is an unforgettable experience.
  22. JoshR
    Dec 9, 2009
    The only thing stopping this game getting full marks is that i didn't like the ending. the combat was hard, but rewarding, frantic, but fluent and the storyline was entirely compelling. the storytelling was fab, the universe was fascinating, and to top it off i bought it on steam for £4, distracting me from both Borderlands and Mass effect. definitely worth the full asking price.
  23. MichaelM
    Apr 26, 2009
    I think this game is absolutely amazing. I love the combat, the aesthetics, the art design. The whole package. The game is short, but it is also supplemented with a really fun challenge mode. This title is certainly a bright beacon for the future of indie development. The fact that it comes packed with Steam achievements and the promise of DLC in the future only exacerbates the fact that I think this game is absolutely amazing. I love the combat, the aesthetics, the art design. The whole package. The game is short, but it is also supplemented with a really fun challenge mode. This title is certainly a bright beacon for the future of indie development. The fact that it comes packed with Steam achievements and the promise of DLC in the future only exacerbates the fact that this was one of the best game purchases I've made so far this year. Expand
  24. Jan 18, 2012
    Great atmosphere, great FPS melee combat design, great monsters and characters. Way too short (3h) ! Thank god, they added a challenge mode where u'll end up spending more time that you will in the campaign, but still, some multiplayer or some challenge editor would have been great. All in all, great game.
  25. Apr 2, 2012
    If H.R. Geiger got high on peyote and did the production design for The Dark Crystal, it would look exactly like Zeno Clash.
  26. Feb 16, 2012
    Very strange, to be honest, I thought someone dosed me with something, I had to ask and confirm with other people that this game was real. The gameplay at its heart is a first person brawler, with a healthy mix up of shooting here and there. but the story, woa ho ho.... man. imagine a world that was generations deep with inbreeding, as well as cross breeding with chickens andVery strange, to be honest, I thought someone dosed me with something, I had to ask and confirm with other people that this game was real. The gameplay at its heart is a first person brawler, with a healthy mix up of shooting here and there. but the story, woa ho ho.... man. imagine a world that was generations deep with inbreeding, as well as cross breeding with chickens and pigs, and not the cute jrpg way, but more of a demented master blaster way. This is the world you're going to get into with this game.

I did not like the melee combat at first, but the story kept me playing, and I ended up finding that the parry hit and run knee to the face smash tactics to be, well....... really good. and by the end of the game I found myself actually wanting to toss my guns down and put my fists up. It's short, but left me satisfied. I hope we see more of this twisted world.
  27. Apr 25, 2013
    Chilean developer ACE has done something that not many others would even try doing. Instead of going for a safe, true and tried formula, they gave us Zeno Clash.
    How do you even begin to describe this game?
    How do you even begin to describe this game?
    For one, it's a first person brawler. A brutal one at that. You punch, kick and on some occasions, shoot some sort of gun. It is done in a manner which you probably have not seen in many other games. It can be a tad frustrating but very satisfying when your fist connects to some creature's face.
    What makes this game unique though, is that art direction. It is demented. Chileans are an artistic lot and this games shows it. It is whacked to the point of disturbing yet beautiful.
    The story is just as strange but despite the truly alien landscape and characters, you do become engaged in it.

The only down point is that it is too short. But for what it is, it's a great addition to any gamer's collection.
  28. Feb 19, 2014
    Zeno Clash is the best INDIE GAME I have ever played in my life. And I said INDIE GAME! Some people do not understand that this is not a full game. Just an indie game. Just a **** indie game.

P.E.: INDIE GAME
  29. Aug 17, 2015
    This game is inscrutably good. The pieces weave together like the chapter of an eclectic and slightly bewildering book, and yet the whole package just works. Thoroughly enjoyable
  30. EricP.
    Apr 22, 2009
    Pretty darn good! The hand to hand fighting mechanics are extremely satisfying and the visual design is refreshingly unique and occasionally jaw dropping. While the story is a bit inexplicable and the voice acting seems off at times, in some cases it fits with the game's overall surreality. The game is only about 5 hours long (I imagine a bit longer if one bothers with thePretty darn good! The hand to hand fighting mechanics are extremely satisfying and the visual design is refreshingly unique and occasionally jaw dropping. While the story is a bit inexplicable and the voice acting seems off at times, in some cases it fits with the game's overall surreality. The game is only about 5 hours long (I imagine a bit longer if one bothers with the challenges), but at a price tag of $20 I think it was worth it. Expand
  31. louism
    Apr 24, 2009
    This is a really nice buy. It's a bit short, true, but for $20 you're going to have alot more fun than for most $50 games. I know the team who made it and you can see the effort put in as you play. It's a refreshing change from most modern games where gameplay actually matters as part of the design instead of being just a feature bullet point. A+C and the rest great work. This is a really nice buy. It's a bit short, true, but for $20 you're going to have alot more fun than for most $50 games. I know the team who made it and you can see the effort put in as you play. It's a refreshing change from most modern games where gameplay actually matters as part of the design instead of being just a feature bullet point. A+C and the rest great work. And the Mucalactic reference as well. Expand
  32. ZmobsC
    Dec 2, 2009
    Zeno Clash is an Brawler. Many people start playing this game with false preconceptions. First and foremost, the game is an arena-style brawler. It's basically a 3D rendition of games like Double Dragon and Final Fight. As such, the combat is repetitive and the levels are very, very linear. Where this game shines is in it's art. Maybe the engine is the most technologically Zeno Clash is an Brawler. Many people start playing this game with false preconceptions. First and foremost, the game is an arena-style brawler. It's basically a 3D rendition of games like Double Dragon and Final Fight. As such, the combat is repetitive and the levels are very, very linear. Where this game shines is in it's art. Maybe the engine is the most technologically advanced, but the art direction is superb. Visuals alone, this game is very memorable. The story could have been more fleshed out, and the voice acting is pretty poor, but they aren't the focus of the game. Those that rate it very low seem to have a very skewed view of art or pass of anything different or weird as bad. I hope to see more from this developer. Expand
  33. Jul 23, 2011
    Prepare to descend into the realm of the bizarre. An *almost* perfect FPS alternative that delivers on so many levels. Every moment of this brilliantly executed game feels like a bad nightmare that you cannot wake from. Yes, it may not be flawless - but what game is?
  34. Feb 10, 2011
    I have to say this game was a surprising revelation. i went in expecting a very average game and got something a little more then i expected. Yes it looks dated yes the guns are a little underwhelming, but what it provides is a very fun little brawler. The use of hand to hand combat in this game is fun though on occasion a little annoying but well done to the developers who have made aI have to say this game was a surprising revelation. i went in expecting a very average game and got something a little more then i expected. Yes it looks dated yes the guns are a little underwhelming, but what it provides is a very fun little brawler. The use of hand to hand combat in this game is fun though on occasion a little annoying but well done to the developers who have made a interesting title which is short enough that it does not overstay its welcome. Expand
  35. Jul 10, 2011
    I wasn't sure how well a first person beat-em-up would play. I was glad to find that I immediately "connected" with the character and felt him as an onscreen extension of me, like in an FPS -- and thus the game was really fun (I don't get on with third person Street Fighter style games at all). Lovely surreal art style, intriguing story. Cons? A couple of difficulty spikes, and over aI wasn't sure how well a first person beat-em-up would play. I was glad to find that I immediately "connected" with the character and felt him as an onscreen extension of me, like in an FPS -- and thus the game was really fun (I don't get on with third person Street Fighter style games at all). Lovely surreal art style, intriguing story. Cons? A couple of difficulty spikes, and over a bit fast without much replayability (the game's linear so the only thing you'd go back for is playing a little differently to get the achievements you missed the first time). Still one of those indie gems and well worth picking up! Expand
  36. Jul 25, 2011
    Visually unique, surreal plot, gameplay - as far as the FPS goes - is rarely seen done so well. I initially ignored this title as it arrived quietly and sat in the budget shelves of GAME (UK) stores with little to inform the potential buyer, one YouTube clip later and I had bought the title. Zeno Clash is all the more impressive knowing that as an 'indie' title, it comes from a small,Visually unique, surreal plot, gameplay - as far as the FPS goes - is rarely seen done so well. I initially ignored this title as it arrived quietly and sat in the budget shelves of GAME (UK) stores with little to inform the potential buyer, one YouTube clip later and I had bought the title. Zeno Clash is all the more impressive knowing that as an 'indie' title, it comes from a small, little-known developer. It's a little on the short side and as linear as they come but what a ride. Expand
  37. Oct 25, 2012
    This game was surprisingly incredible, and that's saying something. After a few videos of interesting combat and questionable character/overall world designs from screenshots, I had no idea what I was getting into, but I can say without a doubt, that I don't regret buying this title whatsoever. Without spoiling the story, I'll say this: it's based on a great premise of originality that weThis game was surprisingly incredible, and that's saying something. After a few videos of interesting combat and questionable character/overall world designs from screenshots, I had no idea what I was getting into, but I can say without a doubt, that I don't regret buying this title whatsoever. Without spoiling the story, I'll say this: it's based on a great premise of originality that we hardly see nowadays, much less an actual story at all, which is one of the main elements that kept me going throughout its long and difficult journey. The combat is amazingly fun and fluid; you punch and kick the living hell out of these awfully disgusting creatures, which is definitely a welcome change to the generic FPS formula, though, it does have some newly designed guns and grenades for you to toy around with, they're not quite as satisfying as the brawling combat system, but still differentiate themselves from any other random FPS title, though there are a couple of blunt weapons which are somewhat interesting to use, being the only things you can use to even damage tougher enemies, still, none of these things could could even come close to that of the innovative and expertly crafted brawling system. The voice acting among most of the characters, especially that of the protagonist and his companion(s), could have been implemented more thoroughly, but that doesn't detract from the game's overall charm whatsoever. Plus, if you want to get more out of it once you finish the short, yet enjoyable story, the game also offers its own Tower of Challenges along with a plentiful list of achievements to keep you throwing punches and landing counter-kicks. And all of this, including the fact that it's only $10, makes the game worth every penny, I highly recommend buying this amazing indie title. Expand
  38. May 26, 2013
    This game.....it's just AWESOME Really FASCINATED....I STRONGLY recommend you this game especially you really love this kind of punk art style or those mystery story stuff....if you want to try the best First Person Fighting games, try this one, it will blow you mind
  39. MarkH
    Jun 4, 2009
    The hand to hand combat is excellent, and works flawlessly - or it would do if it weren't hampered by needless and clumsy lock-on system. Fighting over a weapon on the ground becomes a fight with the controls as the button that cycles your targets is the same button that picks up weapons when you're looking at them - making it near impossible to pick up a weapon when an enemy is The hand to hand combat is excellent, and works flawlessly - or it would do if it weren't hampered by needless and clumsy lock-on system. Fighting over a weapon on the ground becomes a fight with the controls as the button that cycles your targets is the same button that picks up weapons when you're looking at them - making it near impossible to pick up a weapon when an enemy is near it. The shooting, while nothing special, initially detracts from the game, but becomes more fluid as it continues. It still amounts to nothing beyond average in this aspect, though. The game is short but challenging, and left me with an overall sense of enjoyment. I couldn't help but think that the surreal storyline and characters were often weird purely for the sake of weirdness itself. As a first person brawler, it is quietly revolutionary, but this shining aspect is muffled by the storyline, unecessary lock-on system, and mediocre shooting. I suspect that the developers lacked confidence in the brawling aspect, and felt some people may become disoriented by the pace of such close-up action - that would explain why they added so much needless fluff onto anotherwise great game. Expand
  40. JeffS
    Dec 2, 2009
    Not for everybody, but if you are interested in the strange and the bizarre, this game is worth your attention. The surreal universe is reminiscent of Dark Crystal, Mirrormask, Labyrinth, and the like. Characters and plot are relatively weak, but the visuals are stunning. Won't win game of the year, but for 4 hours and $7, it's worth it to enjoy the setting and eye candy.
  41. HarveyD
    Jun 19, 2009
    Let's get this out of the way now, so people don't get confused: Zeno Clash is a Half-Life 2 MOD. That's what it is, and anyone expecting a full-blown original gameplay masterpiece is going to be more than a little disappointed. About the only new gameplay mechanic you will find in this game is a melee system that rarely gets used to its full potential. In fact what little Let's get this out of the way now, so people don't get confused: Zeno Clash is a Half-Life 2 MOD. That's what it is, and anyone expecting a full-blown original gameplay masterpiece is going to be more than a little disappointed. About the only new gameplay mechanic you will find in this game is a melee system that rarely gets used to its full potential. In fact what little gameplay elements the game seeks to exemplify are muddled by poor, and occasionally, frugal level design. The game is deserving of one accolade, however, and that is the plethora of props and characters meshes produced by the team. It's just a shame that those same characters do not add any value to game; they remain hollowed peons of a supposedly story-driven game. It is a damn shame, because when I got a chance to play this game at GDC and spoke to its creators, I was getting the impression that there were going to be evolving themes and motifs about perseverance. Instead the game's story randomly spurs the aid of a "Demigod" of sorts to draw a close to the story. From the lack of growth to the poor gameplay mechanics, it seems that the game falls prey to the ambitions of a group of individuals who halfway through production, realized they did not know the rudimentary rules of proper game design. But, in all truth, I would have rated this game closer to a 7.5. In the end it's a heavily stylized mod, but it never really pushes its identity past being more than just a mod. Expand
  42. jh
    Jun 29, 2009
    A great brawler, though succinct. I bought it at a Steam sale for $10, completed it (according to Steam), in 3.5 hours. I felt the storyline and art design were both above average, but not something that would push it into classic status. I think it perfectly fits the definition of a 7.0 game. I don't think most people will be interested enough to complete the challenges included in A great brawler, though succinct. I bought it at a Steam sale for $10, completed it (according to Steam), in 3.5 hours. I felt the storyline and art design were both above average, but not something that would push it into classic status. I think it perfectly fits the definition of a 7.0 game. I don't think most people will be interested enough to complete the challenges included in the recent DLC. Good, but not awesome or anything. Expand
  43. KyleD
    Jun 5, 2009
    Quite good. Bizarre, interesting world. I think the combat system is quite repetitive. I enjoyed the game, but it was missing something, but I just don't know what.
  44. MarkT
    Apr 28, 2009
    I feel a little guilty about the 7, because the story is so fabulously weird (I confess, I am only an hour in or so) and the characters so gorgeous. I love these creatures.. straight from a twisted fairy tale, in the style of Pan's Labyrinth. But the gameplay is so extraordinarily constricting. The combat is fun enough, for sure... but this is the most on rails game I have ever I feel a little guilty about the 7, because the story is so fabulously weird (I confess, I am only an hour in or so) and the characters so gorgeous. I love these creatures.. straight from a twisted fairy tale, in the style of Pan's Labyrinth. But the gameplay is so extraordinarily constricting. The combat is fun enough, for sure... but this is the most on rails game I have ever played. You basically move from one cramped arena to the next, with unsettling cut scenes in between. The scenes are great, the oddness is great - I wish I could give this a higher score - but the gameplay gets very old very soon. I suspect this is something you will dip into now and again, but an extended session would be much too boring. that said, despite the 7, I do recommend this as a decent $20 spent, simply to experience the great atmosphere. Expand
  45. Jul 17, 2011
    This game was good for the price, as I got it on sale for $3.75 on Steam's weekend sale of it. If you get it for that price, it's worth it. I'd recommend this game to a person who likes casual games, as there is not a huge depth to it. Pretty much punch and kick your way through the game. Enjoy!
  46. Dec 8, 2014
    Very unique game. The story is off-bunkers, the ambiance and setting - out-worldly. It reminds me of an old "Planescape Torment" RPG, back in the day - it had the same atmosphere.
    Gameplay pretty solid, although repetitive; still, it is original enough to keep me playing. And the story is whack, like i said! :)
  47. Aug 16, 2011
    The best way I can describe Zeno Clash is that it's comparable to a retro gaming experience. The odd and unique art direction reminds me of the "weird presence" (phrase ripped from AVGN) that some old video games had... that special brand of weirdness that didn't seem too forced, it was just part of the game universe. The satisfaction of the melee combat reminds me of old beat 'em upsThe best way I can describe Zeno Clash is that it's comparable to a retro gaming experience. The odd and unique art direction reminds me of the "weird presence" (phrase ripped from AVGN) that some old video games had... that special brand of weirdness that didn't seem too forced, it was just part of the game universe. The satisfaction of the melee combat reminds me of old beat 'em ups like Street of Rage.

There's some bad elements to this retro feel. The voice acting is a little rough, though far from the worst I've heard. I lived through the FMV fad of gaming for god sake. Also, if you don't like linearity, don't play this game. This game is ridiculously linear. I'm talking super old-school, worse than Wolfenstein 3d or Doom (the originals). That is not an exaggeration. Those games were far from open-ended but at least had a few paths branching off to the sides. I could get lost for a little bit in Wolf 3D til I got my bearings. You will not ever doubt your position for a second in this game. It is Point A to Point B, period. The most unrestricted progression you will see in this game is when you backtrack in a straight line to the point you came from.

That being said, none of that is a deal breaker for me. Linearity does not equal bad in my book, nor does funky voice acting. What equals a bad game for me is when I'm not having fun, and I had fun playing this game. I've read and heard other people saying that the control for the melee combat is a bit clunky, and that's true, but once again, it's fun. That's my cardinal rule for games: at some point I ask myself, is it fun? In this case, yes. I partly believe that what people may be berrating as cumbersome control is actually the weight and feedback of the characters, which I'm enjoyed. Punching someone has that nice OOMPH to it, especially with the big wind-up heavy attacks. Pretty satisfying when you connect, the camera shakes, you get a nice loud crunch sound, and your enemy goes flying back into other fighters behind him, knocking them over.

Weapons are infact clunky like some folks have said but hey... did you notice what game you're playing? Emphasis is on melee combat folks, and if you didn't happen to notice, your firearm is made out of rope and old bones. I dislike how they implemented the weapons more than I dislike the weapons themselves. In the actual melee fights, I used the weapons more or less how I believe they were intended to be used: for a couple extra points of damage as the enemy charges in, tossing it into their face as the clips empty and then leaping forward to finish the job with my knuckles. My least favorite parts of the game were the linear shooting segments. Shooting rabbits in a straight line for The visuals obviously aren't the most breathtaking in terms of prettiness, as this is running on an un-upgraded Source engine, but they still manage to be more interesting and fun to look at than other games that look "better." I mean, I would rather watch one of those huge, Dr. Seuss-looking desert creatures lumber around a surreal backdrop in Zeno Clash, more than I would like to admire the latest brown monster run around in the latest brown cave in the latest brown Gears of War game. I think it's also important to keep in mind what you should expect from this: this game launched for 20 bucks, and most places these days you can get it for 15 or less. I don't think you should be comparing it to big budget titles. Personally, I got it on sale for 3 dollars. What I got for my 3 bucks was an enjoyable distraction for a couple hours, with an interesting if fairly non-sensical story, eye-pleasing scenery and set pieces, and satisfying melee combat. Far from perfect but a good deal, and surprisingly fun for a budget title.
  48. Oct 17, 2012
    Me cuesta ser parcial con este juego ya que es un juego hecho por Chilenos :D

Lo bueno: El arte es muy bueno , muy diferente a los que estamos acostumbrados a ver, tanto los personajes, como el entorno y las armas que las encuentro creativas. Tratas de hacer un juego en primera persona enfocado en los combates cuerpo a cuerpo. Historia retorcida. Lo malo: Mucha linealidad del juego,
    Me cuesta ser parcial con este juego ya que es un juego hecho por Chilenos :D

Lo malo: Mucha linealidad del juego, los gráficos no son destacables. Se vuelve algo tedioso el sistema de lucha.
  49. Mar 24, 2013
    Zeno Clash is a good indie game. It looks like a mod from Half Life 2 but the gameplay is different. You can use guns but the main focus is the melee fights. It feels like i'm playing old school, Super PunchOut! on SNES but instead of a restricted ring, you get to fight on a linear path with more enemies at once. It does get boring after awhile, but on Hard Mode it was still pretty fun.Zeno Clash is a good indie game. It looks like a mod from Half Life 2 but the gameplay is different. You can use guns but the main focus is the melee fights. It feels like i'm playing old school, Super PunchOut! on SNES but instead of a restricted ring, you get to fight on a linear path with more enemies at once. It does get boring after awhile, but on Hard Mode it was still pretty fun. You can't reload while running so sometimes it got frustrating and i just tossed the gun and fight hand to hand. I think thats what they wanted you to do in the first place anyways. The story and game itself is solid but it feels more like a really long demo than an actual game to me. Visuals are good but you dont get to really explore too much and level design is pretty straightforward linear paths. overall, good solid game to kill some time. Expand
  50. Feb 19, 2013
    Short game, it has a weird tribal theme with weird creatures. Story was weird too, it's just weird. Though, this game is worth checking out for the first person melee combat. It does it really well, it's like a first person Streets of Rage, except with a lot of weird.
  51. Jamie
    Apr 27, 2009
    Don't be fooled by the hype. Zeno clash is a very mediocre game. However, it comes at a time when there's a bit of a dearth of top class new shooters around, and the mainstream media has been regularly criticised for overpraising mainstream games and underpraising indie games. It's as if everyone decided this would be the "token" good indie shooter; so they're praising Don't be fooled by the hype. Zeno clash is a very mediocre game. However, it comes at a time when there's a bit of a dearth of top class new shooters around, and the mainstream media has been regularly criticised for overpraising mainstream games and underpraising indie games. It's as if everyone decided this would be the "token" good indie shooter; so they're praising it very high. But it's just not very good. There IS no "jaw dropping visual design - Hellbored"; this thing is using the half life engine and it's starting to look a bit dated. The gameplay is not "refreshing and exciting - Cheatcode central", it's shooting combined with kicking and punching. How original. It doesn't "Stick with you long after you play it" - I was bored within minutes. Basically, it's just a half life mod that looks weird. The voices are poor; the game was developed in cuba (I think) and they've all got weird accents and strange ways of saying things. The graphics, far from being spectacular, are lame; the half life engine was designed for urban or indoor environments and does a poor job of rendering zeno's fully outdoor environments. The foliage looks awful and the ground textures are poor. Rent this before you buy it - and then you probably won't buy it anyway. Expand
  52. May 18, 2011
    Wow. It is really impossible to describe this game in words--It is just so far out there, but not in a bad way. You've never played a game like this. Maybe if you have been on acid and LSD simultaneously, you might have a clue. The characters, monsters, story, weapons, and scenery are just plain crazy. With a decent melee combat system, it's hard not to recommend it. Just don't play itWow. It is really impossible to describe this game in words--It is just so far out there, but not in a bad way. You've never played a game like this. Maybe if you have been on acid and LSD simultaneously, you might have a clue. The characters, monsters, story, weapons, and scenery are just plain crazy. With a decent melee combat system, it's hard not to recommend it. Just don't play it with any far fetched expectations and stick with it to the end. Smoking a joint or two before you begin wouldn't hurt either. Expand
  53. Dec 17, 2013
    Zeno Clash is an interesting and original game that ultimately falls flat in too many areas to make it a great game. You go around in a very weird and interesting world punching people in the face and sometimes shooting them with the strange gun. The world Zeno Clash is set in is very strange and you immediately want to know more about it, but you never will. The story is hard to followZeno Clash is an interesting and original game that ultimately falls flat in too many areas to make it a great game. You go around in a very weird and interesting world punching people in the face and sometimes shooting them with the strange gun. The world Zeno Clash is set in is very strange and you immediately want to know more about it, but you never will. The story is hard to follow and makes next to no sense. It's also unfortunate that the combat quickly becomes repetitive. Even though the story is only 3-4 hours long, by the end you will be tired of executing the same moves over and over again. In the end, Zeno Clash is a huge waste of potential that could have been so much more. Expand
  54. Apr 21, 2012
    It's not a bad game, but the combat system and the story being short, the graphic doesn't looks bad however, anyway in 2-3 hours at max you will have completed it already so i suppose you can find something else better to buy.
  55. May 31, 2012
    Awesome first person punching gameplay, the story is brilliant, especially in the end, I played this through from start to end and couldn't stop. Then, I looked at the time. You will have completed the game in 4 hours, and there is zero replayability. As some indie games, it is short and pathetically so. If the game had been at least three times longer, it would have been "great", now it'sAwesome first person punching gameplay, the story is brilliant, especially in the end, I played this through from start to end and couldn't stop. Then, I looked at the time. You will have completed the game in 4 hours, and there is zero replayability. As some indie games, it is short and pathetically so. If the game had been at least three times longer, it would have been "great", now it's fun but barely worth more than a 6. Expand
  56. JamesP
    Apr 25, 2009
    To be frank...this is pretty poor. I don't know whether any of you ever played those old Half life 1 games using the old engine, but this felt like a mod fit for the first half life, not the source engine. This thing looks lovely, honestly lovely, but it's not that great. It's not really about melee, it's a hype. Whenever I could I would pick up a gun and shoot To be frank...this is pretty poor. I don't know whether any of you ever played those old Half life 1 games using the old engine, but this felt like a mod fit for the first half life, not the source engine. This thing looks lovely, honestly lovely, but it's not that great. It's not really about melee, it's a hype. Whenever I could I would pick up a gun and shoot whatever was comming toward me, because melee combat in FPS is really borring, it's always been best suited to Third Person in a 3D game. This isn't "Dark Messiah", the melee is borring and repretitive, Id you want a game where you can stab things, punch things and really play with the source engine in melee, really do funny things to your enemies in big beautiful environments with swords and armour and a little RPG thrown in for good measure, without taking away from the fantastic 3PS sword plat, but "Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic". Zeno Clash is a lovely looking universe, the story was novel, but it's been done. Don't get me wrong I loved the steam punk universe with all the crazy modelling, but the gameplay is flaccid. Here's the krutch guys, it's source, and you don't play with the environment, you don't do silly things with physics and the funniest thing is, you can't jump. Thats right, there is no jumping in Zeno Clash. For your enemies? Sure go for it. Not you. This is linear, linear, linear. To give you an idea of how linear, "The Ultimate Doom" is less linear. That game was made in 1993. This game was made in 2009. If you want a good punchem-up now, go back and get a Sega Megadrive emulator, now, find a copy of "Streets of Rage". Enjoy it. If you want weapons and swords and a gorgeous source powered universe, buy "Dark Messiah". If you want a good shooter, buy "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare". To cap it, this is one time play through of a game that takes half an hour to complete on medium difficulty. Why won't I play it on hard now? Because I know the end of the story, it was rubbish. The only thing that kept me in was because "somehow" through this bad 1995 "Star Wars, Dark Forces" 'don't jump' gameplay, was a storyworld that was compelling. Do I want to play the game again now the story is over? No. Waist of my £11, I will never play this game again. Expand
  57. Jan 3, 2011
    This game is pretty weird. Now don't get me wrong, i don't mean that in a negative way, it's just a little out there. In other words, it has to be your thing otherwise you'll be playing this no longer than 10 minutes.
    Especially all the different characters bring the world to life. Character design is great as for the modelling. There is so much variation between all of them.
    So why did i
    So why did i give this game a 5 than? Because i lost interest quiet fast. Each minute i wanted to just quit even more than the moment before. The first person melee action is okay, even though a bit rusty, but i've seen it all before in Breakdown on the Xbox and i never got to finish that one either. It just isn't my piece of pie. I'd rather break some jaws in 3rd person. Next to that i didn't like the stage fighting all that much. You're not really walking through an open world you're just set against 1 or more opponents in a set stage and you have to duke it out and win so you can continue on to the next level. But worst of all has to be that out of all the awesome characters in the game your character just looks lame. But what's even worse is his voice and the acting that comes with it. Just awfull.
    Story wise there is something there but the storytelling itself is kinda weak. It didn't hold my attention for long anyways.
    In the end i've played for an hour or so and then i called it quits but i don't think i'll be starting it up anytime soon. But hey, it only cost me 3 euro's and it's still a very creative piece of work. Props for that.
  58. Jun 18, 2013
    Definitely a very poor game with a great idea and interesting story and characters. Nothing is quite so unique in what it tries to be than Zeno Clash. However sadly the implementation of the game is poor. Painfully bad voice acting, clunky controls and often there are battles that, while not difficult are just frustrating based on the tactics you have to use taking forever. There is oneDefinitely a very poor game with a great idea and interesting story and characters. Nothing is quite so unique in what it tries to be than Zeno Clash. However sadly the implementation of the game is poor. Painfully bad voice acting, clunky controls and often there are battles that, while not difficult are just frustrating based on the tactics you have to use taking forever. There is one particularly long and unnecessary on rail shooting portion that was easy, but so long and boring I wanted to cry.

The combat system IS fun, but the implementation does feel off. IF its on sale I'd say pick it up if you like the idea of a unique hand to hand combat system, otherwise pass this game over.
  59. Nov 8, 2011
    Well, "Zeno Clash" actually was aiming for creativity. Sure, i'll give credit for that but after that nothing's enjoyable. NOTHING.
  60. Jan 5, 2014
    Typical not a fan of brawler style of games I did not find this overly enjoyable. The brawl action isn't too bad but becomes highly repetitive and the shooting mechanics are below par, feels tacked on.

Story is ok but really fails to pull you through.
  61. Jan 21, 2013
    The game's graphics, sound and character design and definitely refreshing and original, I'll give it that... But the constant and repetitive fight scenes paired with the frustrating combat system make this game boring and bland after the first few levels. I feel that the developers could of done a better job at creating the opponents that you fight as well, as the same set of charactersThe game's graphics, sound and character design and definitely refreshing and original, I'll give it that... But the constant and repetitive fight scenes paired with the frustrating combat system make this game boring and bland after the first few levels. I feel that the developers could of done a better job at creating the opponents that you fight as well, as the same set of characters keep coming back to life to fight again and again after the player has knocked their lifeless bodies to the ground numerous times. This gives the player a sense of uselessness, and takes away much of the satisfaction, I feel, from what could be some very exciting and engaging close combat. Expand
  62. May 19, 2015
    + climate music
    +surrealistic world
    +graphic is not bad
    ?over after 3,5 h
    -It requires dosage
    -all the same enemies
    -after time fight is boring

You can play but do not have
  63. Dalek
    Dec 3, 2009
    I thought this game would be good, but it's not. It uses the source engine, but I hardly understood the game, it doesn't tell you what year it is, probably cavemen time, and your in some stupid training dream, I wanted to get to the action not get confused in some dream. What I also hate about this game is that it's extremely reppetative. It's just fighting, shoot with I thought this game would be good, but it's not. It uses the source engine, but I hardly understood the game, it doesn't tell you what year it is, probably cavemen time, and your in some stupid training dream, I wanted to get to the action not get confused in some dream. What I also hate about this game is that it's extremely reppetative. It's just fighting, shoot with your handmade guns, and then, cutscene, loading, cutscene, loading. Over and over. Expand
  64. kylebj
    May 5, 2009
    WEIRD does not equal GOOD. You fight the controls in this game more than the characters. It's got a completely unnecessary lock-on function that will have you cursing in frustration when it won't allow you to move how you want. LONG parts of the game are boring and unchallenging (the river part, WTF?). It's also very repetitive--no real puzzles, just the same fighting WEIRD does not equal GOOD. You fight the controls in this game more than the characters. It's got a completely unnecessary lock-on function that will have you cursing in frustration when it won't allow you to move how you want. LONG parts of the game are boring and unchallenging (the river part, WTF?). It's also very repetitive--no real puzzles, just the same fighting scheme with more characters added to increase difficulty. The voice acting is also very bad, even by indie game standards. It does have some unique characters I won't forget soon. Expand
  65. Jan 8, 2011
    This game was so promising, but in the end it turned out to be a massive waste of potential. It feels like there's a much bigger game in this, but for whatever reason the bulk of it was cut and never saw the light of day. The story makes no sense, and not because it's bizarre, but rather because it's missing large chunks. Like the ending. Instead, it's padded with what I assume wasThis game was so promising, but in the end it turned out to be a massive waste of potential. It feels like there's a much bigger game in this, but for whatever reason the bulk of it was cut and never saw the light of day. The story makes no sense, and not because it's bizarre, but rather because it's missing large chunks. Like the ending. Instead, it's padded with what I assume was intended to be "weird" and "atmospheric" but just ends up being redundant and irrelevant.

Other people praise it for its gameplay, which is just about mediocre, but a game with this much potential should not have been written so poorly and ineptly. The characters are flat, boring and uninspired. Every single line of dialogue that comes out of their mouths is exposition, every single action they take serves as a plot point. None of the named characters have any personality whatsoever. This doesn't make them weird. It makes them badly written.

Visually, the game fails to deliver. There are several interesting set pieces, such as a beached whale and large walking things, but if you've seen a trailer, you've seen them all. Beyond that, it's essentially Heart of Darkness meets Another World. If you're looking for a "weird" setting and story, try either of those. Both are better written and more fun to play.

The combat is clunky, stiff, limited and very, very repetitive to the point of boredom. If you've fought one large enemy, you've fought them all. If you've fought one humanoid enemy, you've fought them all. Even Father-Mother isn't all that distinct. Weapons are slow, cumbersome and largely useless anyway, making the achievement for not using any a no-brainer. It's an interesting idea, to be sure, but it's so cumbersome it just doesn't work. If you want a game that mixes weapons and and hand-to-hand combat, try Bungie's Oni. This is just slow.

The only reason I don't give this title the lowest score I can is because I can appreciate the effort and I can appreciate the innovation. There really is a very good, very interesting game buried somewhere in Zeno Clash, but Zeno Clash itself ain't it. Contrary to people's opinions, I feel this would have been best served as a big-budget studio title, as they would have been able to spring for a decent writer, talented voice actors and actually a complete game that isn't padded to extremes and still far too short while missing any real depth.

Zeno Clash should have been more than Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and it just isn't.
  66. Sep 15, 2011
    Game looks weird and good, but actually it sucks following with sh*tty controls.
  67. JohnW
    Apr 24, 2009
    I bought this game because of the originality of the character design, and for that I give it credit... But you've got to be kidding... This game currently has a 9.2 user rating. That puts it up there with HalfLife2... The controls suck, the action is repetitive and the graphics engine looks 10 years old. I played through the first 5 levels and uninstalled it. I understand this was I bought this game because of the originality of the character design, and for that I give it credit... But you've got to be kidding... This game currently has a 9.2 user rating. That puts it up there with HalfLife2... The controls suck, the action is repetitive and the graphics engine looks 10 years old. I played through the first 5 levels and uninstalled it. I understand this was an independent game, and I tried to like it, but if it's just not fun to play, then what's the point. Expand
  68. ErikN
    Apr 24, 2009
    Im not sure why everyones giving this game such a high rating.. i found it moderately entertaining, rather trippy and the voice overs.. the voice overs are just terrible. the melee combat isn't worth my $20. an what's up with all the men having oversized nipples and asses? theres no end to the weridness when it comes to zeno clash.
  69. sloretheslore
    Jun 16, 2009
    This game was really bad. If you took all the free models you could find around the interbutts, passed them through your G.I. tract, and then defecated; you'd have this game. You fight a giant androgynous chicken man for the games end boss. I am not making a joke; that is serious. I think the pubes that created this load had a lot of connections. You can tell by all the fake reviews This game was really bad. If you took all the free models you could find around the interbutts, passed them through your G.I. tract, and then defecated; you'd have this game. You fight a giant androgynous chicken man for the games end boss. I am not making a joke; that is serious. I think the pubes that created this load had a lot of connections. You can tell by all the fake reviews they paid for. There are so many other real independent games that are actually amazing why even bother with this steamy turd? You will by screaming at your screen after the stupid auto lock on feature gets you killed the the millionth time. You will be laughing at how crappy the characters look, (tweaked poser models they found around the net.) You will be wondering how many times they will reuse the same exact character that you just killed over, and over, and over again. This game wanted to be Alice; it was not Alice. It was crap. Expand
  70. Jan 4, 2011
    Nice creature concepts and vistas, but ultimately not worth the payout, even on a sale day on steam. Story is 100% linear, despite some reviews here (ViscountA), voice acting is appalling (obligatory Clint Eastwood sound-a-like and co-star that would appear to be not very comfortable with reading the script) and some very dodgy attempts to introduce slang terminology which just does notNice creature concepts and vistas, but ultimately not worth the payout, even on a sale day on steam. Story is 100% linear, despite some reviews here (ViscountA), voice acting is appalling (obligatory Clint Eastwood sound-a-like and co-star that would appear to be not very comfortable with reading the script) and some very dodgy attempts to introduce slang terminology which just does not work, IMO.
    Combat engine is certainly different, but ultimately hampered by the "locking" concept, as mentioned by others here.
    There is no real depth to the story, with each step just an excuse for an out of context fight with weapons that magically appear in your inventory and then get randomly discarded. Weapons have unlimited reloads and as such means there is no real need for considered strategy other then the formulaic Boss fights.
    Quite how it managed to win "PCGamer 2009 Game of the Year" (listed on Steam store page) I don't know - it does not deserve it.
  71. Dec 26, 2012
    Honestly I dont think I have played a game so bad in a long time. I got it in a steam sale for just 1 dolar , but it sucks. The story is bad,so is the voice acting. The level design,controls and enemies are the worst, I dont know how to describe this game I just finish it to see how it ended but I cant explain, pirate the game, play 10 minutes of it and you will understand why this gameHonestly I dont think I have played a game so bad in a long time. I got it in a steam sale for just 1 dolar , but it sucks. The story is bad,so is the voice acting. The level design,controls and enemies are the worst, I dont know how to describe this game I just finish it to see how it ended but I cant explain, pirate the game, play 10 minutes of it and you will understand why this game deserves a 1/10. Expand
  72. JaredJ
    Aug 4, 2009
    Highly over rated. It's disgusting, no story and increadibly boring gameplay. Try time and time again I try to bring myself to complete this game but I can't because it's so boring. I'm a shooter gamer and when I saw this had weapons I bought it. I was furious with it. It's no fun if you always have unlimited ammo and never get to use them because you have to Highly over rated. It's disgusting, no story and increadibly boring gameplay. Try time and time again I try to bring myself to complete this game but I can't because it's so boring. I'm a shooter gamer and when I saw this had weapons I bought it. I was furious with it. It's no fun if you always have unlimited ammo and never get to use them because you have to fight hand to hand. Stay away from this, even if it's free. Expand
  73. Feb 7, 2011
    Wow! All i read at pc gamer was how awsome this game was. What a joke. It only took 2.5 hours to beat, the story was just sad, and for a modern game the graphics suck. I dont mean just the in game visuals but the movies too. You just wasted half your day.
  74. Jul 17, 2011
    I quite literally vomited after the first 2 fights, 15 min into the game. Not only is the game camera giving me horizontal "vertigo" (yeah, I know what you're thinking) There are good implementations of "realistic head movements" and there are bad ones, and I don't feel well after having my view rotated without my consent.

I'd also like to point out the controls (which other reviewers

I'd also like to point out the controls (which other reviewers have also pointed out) that are so frustrating to keep up with on the keyboard that make this game feel like a bad console port. The auto-lock system is fine (it feels strange to be the only one fine with it after everyone else criticized it) but the fights would have been better if the whole system had some sort of workaround.

Animations and models are great, the story (at least the beginning) is scarcely delivered, but I can't give a higher score to the only game that actually made me vomit (and I've played hundreds)

1. Zeno Clash is what a future cult favourite looks like. With a wickedly brutal melee engine, and some jaw-dropping visual design, this gorgeously demented indie brawler is short but sweet.
  2. While I would have liked to see a bit more emphasis on the melee combat and less on shooting, I think you’ll still find that most battles give you a bit of a rush and are enjoyable to play, particularly the unique boss battles.
  3. A fantastically involving and solid fighting game, enhanced by being set in one of the most imaginative and beautiful universes in the medium.