9.0

1. Feb 15, 2013
    It's been 10 years since I got this game. Yet every year since, I always find time to play this game. Sure, I play games like Battlefield and Call of Duty today, but this game will always be hold a special place in my gaming library. Graphics were stunning in its time, almost on par with MGS2 (released in the same year). And gameplay, it defines fun. Of course, when you play it for tooIt's been 10 years since I got this game. Yet every year since, I always find time to play this game. Sure, I play games like Battlefield and Call of Duty today, but this game will always be hold a special place in my gaming library. Graphics were stunning in its time, almost on par with MGS2 (released in the same year). And gameplay, it defines fun. Of course, when you play it for too long, it gets boring (like any other game). But after a couple days (or maybe hours), when you pop it in again, it feels like a new game. If you still have a PS2, or a PS3 that plays PS2 games, go find this game. You won't regret it. Should it be released on the PS Store, buy it. If they ever release an HD remake, buy it. Collapse
  2. Feb 13, 2012
    The graphics aren't the best. That's inevitable. But as long as you don't crave the absolute best graphics, this is a phenomenal game. The missions are engaging and aren't different versions of the same goal over and over again. But what really never seizes to amaze me is the incredible story-line. It gives a great look at what war is really like. It gives an inside look at the civiliansThe graphics aren't the best. That's inevitable. But as long as you don't crave the absolute best graphics, this is a phenomenal game. The missions are engaging and aren't different versions of the same goal over and over again. But what really never seizes to amaze me is the incredible story-line. It gives a great look at what war is really like. It gives an inside look at the civilians in towns that have been victimized by wars. It shows that the enemy in war thinks the exact same thing of us as we think of them. They think we're the trigger-happy murderers. They aren't bad people in many cases. They are simply people who have views, opinions, and actions that conflict with us, and so we respond with violence. Of course, there are people like Bin Laden and Hitler who really are horrible people, but in this game, that's not the case. What also makes it unique is that it doesn't take the violence lightly. It doesn't make it seem fun to kill all the time, like C.O.D. and Battlefield do. It shows how war breaks hearts, kills innocent civilians, and we aren't necessarily the good guys. For example, the cut scene in which they say that Yellow-13's pride doesn't come from his kill record, but from his record of never losing a squadron member, shows that the enemy isn't a gun-toting demon. Expand
  3. Gustavo
    Apr 3, 2002
    The only reason that I didn't give a 10 to this game is that for real players (the one's who had the playstation one, beat almost all the games and bought a ps2 for the final revenge!) this game is a little too short. But it's a great great game and it's definetely worth the money. P.S I'm from Brazil!!!
  4. ZiggyStardust
    Aug 13, 2002
    Ace combat 4 is a nice flight sim with an engaging story beind it. the explosions look lame and so does the ground when you get close to it unfortunately. it takes a little too long to get through the various interfaces and playing as well. otherwise the game is very good. cool that when you beat it a bunch of new modes are unlocked. it's probably best suited to flight sim fans though.
  5. Jul 2, 2012
    The gameplay lacks, there are simply too many missions where the objective is "score x amount of points in y amount of time". It gets a bit tedious, however thankfully this is not every mission and some inspired missions are added in like one based on D Day, the gameplay is very much in touch with the arcade roots and some of the planes are a bit too roller coastery at times. The somewhatThe gameplay lacks, there are simply too many missions where the objective is "score x amount of points in y amount of time". It gets a bit tedious, however thankfully this is not every mission and some inspired missions are added in like one based on D Day, the gameplay is very much in touch with the arcade roots and some of the planes are a bit too roller coastery at times. The somewhat lacking mission variety is balanced out by the amazing storytelling and fun missions thrown in, The story is told only in pictures paired with dialogue and missions. The slideshows really show how simple a concept paired with good voice acting and exceptional writing can make a great story, you don't need animations and cutscenes. The main character, Yellow 13, has depth and you really get a feel for who he is by the time you fight him in the final mission. It also sets up the stage of the war and the town, having the feeling of an occupied town during WW2. Seeing the characters on the ground in cutscenes gives the locations life, to the point where while flying overhead you really feel as though you're affecting the local population. The final mission isn't anything too complicated, but it's built up so much by in game dialogue that it still feels as though you're at the climax of the war. Less melodramatic chatter compared to 5 really gives it a more mature feel. Flawless story paired with some good gameplay Expand
  6. Uter
    Aug 16, 2003
    It's more of a rental than a purchase.
  7. PierreB.
    Feb 6, 2002
    It is cool when you drop the FREB bomb and enter the bomb camera mode it is a huge explosion.
  8. DavidS.
    May 2, 2003
    A really solid game in every sense, not just the graphics, sound, gameplay which are all top quality. There's also an underlining feel good factor. The game builds you up and the story which points you towards the showdown with yellow 13. Excellent can't wait for number 5!
  9. Mobius1
    Mar 22, 2002
    This is the most truly awesome game I've ever played. The messages like, DIE, YOU S.O.B!, or THEY'RE DESPERATE!, are just hilarious. The graphics are fantastic, and the sounds are totally realistic! Put a Rumble Pak in and it's like you're really there! Dudes (or dudettes), you haven't lived until you've played this game!!!
  10. RobertO.
    Mar 6, 2002
    Excellent game, Amazing attention to detail right down to the variable intake ramps on the F-15s . Truly impressive all speed brakes flaps and cannons are all correctly located (save the F-117 which has a gun but shouldn't.) A+ FOX-1 NAMCO!!!
  11. JacobC.
    Apr 17, 2003
    Great graphics and adrenaline rush makes this game so good you can't put it down.
  12. AlexE.
    Sep 3, 2005
    I have played this game many times and would recomend it.
  13. MichaelF.
    Jan 11, 2002
    This is the first ever flight sim game i've ever bought and I have to say it will probably will be the best i'll ever buy too. Unless of courses Namco comes out with Ace Combat 5. I highly recommend this game to everyone out there in cyber space and who own a PS2 to spend the money and purchase Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies.
  14. EricC.
    Oct 2, 2002
    Ace Combat 4 is to flying games as Gran Turismo 3 is to racing games. Fun to play again and again, excellent graphics, easy control, and even a surprisingly good storyline makes this game one of the reasons your happy to own a PS2. Definately a must-play!
  15. JayA.
    Jan 25, 2002
    This game is truly terrific!!!
  16. JustinJ.
    Feb 12, 2002
    This game is the best jet fighter game out there.
  17. DavidW.
    Feb 24, 2002
    Challenging. Good graphics.
  18. TetsuoH.
    Feb 4, 2002
    Right off the bat, the graphics blew me away. The plot, which was surprisingly deep for a flight sim was awesome, and the controls were perfect! I felt like I was getting combat from the adrenaline! Definitely worth buying.
  19. Yellow13
    Mar 11, 2002
    I have heard people say many things about the playstation. A lot of people that I hang out with hate the playstation and they never even tried it. I gathered all of those doubters over my house one night. 2 of them I know for a fact don't like flight sim games very much at all to begin with by the way. Sat them in my living room in front of my 32" TV. Dimmed the lights, turned on my I have heard people say many things about the playstation. A lot of people that I hang out with hate the playstation and they never even tried it. I gathered all of those doubters over my house one night. 2 of them I know for a fact don't like flight sim games very much at all to begin with by the way. Sat them in my living room in front of my 32" TV. Dimmed the lights, turned on my surround sound, and fired up the PS2 with Ace Combat 4 in it. From the word go they where impressed. The flight sim haters took a little bit longer, but by mission four everyone was screaming "BANK LEFT!" and "MISSILE COMING! DUDE WATCH IT!" And my personal favorite "Dude what are you doing? Under the bridge!? AHHHHHH!!!!!!" after about an hour or so of player Vs player, We called it a night (I opted after a few games to not play since I whooped everyone so bad since they never played before), and I asked them if they had anything to say. All but one person said they thought the game ROCKED, and was surprized at how real the replay screens looked and how intuitive the controls where. Most said they thought the actual game play was incredible and sucked you into it right away. So what did that other person say that was different? Well he was the one who hated the PS2 the most so what he said next was really the best... "So how much is a Ps2 these days anyway? Can I still get Ace combat 4 in the stores?" I think that said it all, if it didn't, the next week when he called me, asking how to beat the final mission in the game was. Run do not walk, and buy this game. P.S. the way the cutscenes are handled in my opinion was not only elegant but, well, I can't really express how cool it was. With all these 3d CGI cinimatics on other games, who would have thought that a simple watercolor slide show with voice overs and sound effects could capture my imagination the way it did. Namco once again...THANK YOU!!! Expand
  20. JosephB.
    Mar 24, 2002
    The only reson I gave it a 10 was I couldn't give it an 11. This game is AWESOME!! The grafx are the best I have ever seen. Although the "hard" difficulty setting is not very chalenging, if you beat it, the "expert" level and the "ace" level are nothing short of real life dogfighting. One missle can shoot you down on the "ace" difficulty!
  21. JosephB.
    Mar 24, 2002
  22. AnT.
    Jun 26, 2002
    This game is why I ever bougt a PS2 - it the best graphic I've ever seen...
  23. NathanielD.
    Aug 19, 2002
    This is one of the few games presently existing that makes you feel warm and tingly all over. Visually stunning, easily used controls, and just about the best flight sim to date. The games graphics are probably what get you the most, there so real it's frightening. you can see whisps of clouds as you gain altitude. The only thing more real is joining the air force.
  24. GregC.
    Aug 16, 2004
    It took six hours to beat, that includes breaks. Tons of fun while it lasted though...
  25. MarioN.
    Jun 26, 2005
    If not the real thing, this is almost.
  26. JacobH.
    May 17, 2006
    One of the best games iv ever played.
  27. PatC.
    Dec 21, 2001
    Da-amn good.
  28. MatthewH.
    Dec 24, 2001
    Inarguably the best flight sim yet on PS2. Great graphics, story, game control, and sound. Very challenging, one of the best darn games I've played on PS2 to date. Keep 'em coming, Namco!
  29. PeterC.
    Dec 25, 2001
    Ace Combat 4 is one of the best flight simulators I have ever played. The gameplay is awesome and it has a very high replay value. This is a must have game in everyone's game library.
  30. GregR.
    Jan 16, 2002
    If there was an 11 on the voting scale, this game would certainly take it. The graphics are some of the best around, and gameplay is unreal, when I first started playing, I was going into high speed maneuvers and almost made myself sick from the barrel-rolls. Keep games of this calliber coming my way!
  31. MarkS.
    Feb 11, 2002
    Hell yea.
  32. NateW.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Have you ever gotten the urge to fly an F-15 into enemy airspace to clear the skies? Do you see those jet pilots on the news and say "I want to do that!"? Look no further than this game. The physics are so accurate and the sounds soo realistic that you'll feel sorry for those little buggers you just sent to hell. If you get this game turn the sound way up, your niebours will think a Have you ever gotten the urge to fly an F-15 into enemy airspace to clear the skies? Do you see those jet pilots on the news and say "I want to do that!"? Look no further than this game. The physics are so accurate and the sounds soo realistic that you'll feel sorry for those little buggers you just sent to hell. If you get this game turn the sound way up, your niebours will think a jet just made a "flyby". This is the ultimate Jet Fighter Sim EVER! Expand
  33. Robert
    May 23, 2003
    By far the best flight sim out now. Beat the game 5 times so far under each difficulty setting... ACE still remains. GREAT multiplayer as well.
  34. RicoG.
    Aug 23, 2003
    I couldn't even play any other dogfight arcade/sim for more than 5 minutes after playing this gem....
  35. PeterC.
    Dec 25, 2001
  36. JeremyC.
    Nov 11, 2003
    One of the best games that I have seen on PS2 excellent graphics (even though it is now 2 years old) and intriguing gameplay. From flying head on toward enemy F-22 fighters to flying in low in a massive assault against the enormous fortress 'Stonehenge' Ace Combat 04 is the most fun I've had in any flying simulator up to date. This game is revolutionary also in that you are One of the best games that I have seen on PS2 excellent graphics (even though it is now 2 years old) and intriguing gameplay. From flying head on toward enemy F-22 fighters to flying in low in a massive assault against the enormous fortress 'Stonehenge' Ace Combat 04 is the most fun I've had in any flying simulator up to date. This game is revolutionary also in that you are not simply moving in an empty void as many flight simulators call for instead there is an intricate variety of terrain beneath your plane which offers great oppurtunity for low flying bombing runs. This game is excellent. Expand
  37. JeremyC.
    Nov 11, 2003
  38. Nov 22, 2013
    It is truly a master piece. A game with an amazing story, game play, music, graphics, and easy to use controls. It is one of the unknown games that not many people know. This makes me a little sad to hear.
  39. Feb 23, 2015
    One of my favorite games from the PS2. Still looks good for an early PS2 game. Each plane is unique and controls are easy to get used to. The story itself is also unique and its a shame that they took this element out of the new Ace Combat Games because honestly the story is what really made this game.
  40. Mar 25, 2015
    The photo realism must be seen first hand to be believed, screen shots and movie clips found around the net cannot describe half the beauty that this game is. The graphics, consistent frame rate, and responsive controls successfully creates an immersive environment of flight. There are times where I would ignore the mission objectives and fly at incredible speeds, low to the ground,The photo realism must be seen first hand to be believed, screen shots and movie clips found around the net cannot describe half the beauty that this game is. The graphics, consistent frame rate, and responsive controls successfully creates an immersive environment of flight. There are times where I would ignore the mission objectives and fly at incredible speeds, low to the ground, amongst snow-capped mountains. One word: Bliss. Expand
  41. Feb 15, 2013

1. Its gameplay isn’t revolutionary, and a couple of its missions get a tad tedious, but Ace Combat 4 sure looks pretty, which is half the reason flying buffs play these air-combat games anyway. [Dec 2001, p.234]
    This is probably as close as a game is going to get to realistically portray what it’s like to get behind the helm of a fighter jet and waging battle in the air. Even though the game is over a year old and at a measly $20.00, Ace Combat 4 is a must have for the Playstation 2.
  3. The best flight game ever made.