8.4

1. SeanO.
    Sep 12, 2006
    I am a huge fan of the series and I can't stop playing this game. I have already played through it 4 times and i still want to keep playing it. Best Ace Combat yet.
  2. BenP.
    May 9, 2006
    Definitely the best simulator on game consoles. Better than all the other ace combats, and the unlockable planes at the end are awesome. Graphics and sound effects are realistic.
  3. LennyMota
    Mar 30, 2006
    The Ace Combat Series is the best Flight SIm game you would ever have. The storyline in this game is so Dramatic, it would make you think that you were involded in the Storyline's conflict, not to mention the Awesomness of Flying your dream fighter plane. You cant compare this series to any other flight sim game in the market (Air Force Delta= Gay). Trust me. Ace Combat isThe Ace Combat Series is the best Flight SIm game you would ever have. The storyline in this game is so Dramatic, it would make you think that you were involded in the Storyline's conflict, not to mention the Awesomness of Flying your dream fighter plane. You cant compare this series to any other flight sim game in the market (Air Force Delta= Gay). Trust me. Ace Combat is Amazin!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  4. TariqW.
    Apr 23, 2006
    The best of the stellar Ace Combat series so far. You either love it or simply don't care for it. If you're the former, then this is an absolutely must-buy!
  5. MartRedi
    Apr 13, 2006
    An excellent entry into the series. I do not care much for the storyline or the ace style addition, but the core of a great AC game is there and that's all I need. The graphics are a bit sharper than AC5, the music is much better than AC5 and the gameplay is above par as usual. This is truly a genre-defining flight simulator of the current generation.
  6. ScottB.
    Apr 30, 2006
    I've played all of them including the Japense #3. Not as many missions as the others and the last mission is a real PAIN.
  7. smoney
    Dec 16, 2009
    great game best in the series in my opinion. what i liked most about this ace combat game more than all others is the fact there is a list of pilots that you have shot down. other than this it really is a great game in the ace combat series
  8. RyanP.
    May 29, 2007
    It's an excellent game, but not the best in the series. Ace Combat 5 set a new standard, so this one fell a little short of my expectations.
  9. May 13, 2014
    Another awesome game in the underrated Ace Combat series. The game serves as a prequel to Ace Combat 5 (15 years prior). You play as a pilot only known as "Cipher", flying with his wingman "Solo Wing Pixy". The two mercenaries are hired to defend the nation of Ustio. The story is very good, although it could be developed more. If the campaign was as long as AC5, then we might have aAnother awesome game in the underrated Ace Combat series. The game serves as a prequel to Ace Combat 5 (15 years prior). You play as a pilot only known as "Cipher", flying with his wingman "Solo Wing Pixy". The two mercenaries are hired to defend the nation of Ustio. The story is very good, although it could be developed more. If the campaign was as long as AC5, then we might have a powerful story. However, if you're really good, you can easily finish the campaign in 4 hours. But replayability is what keeps the game alive. There are branching paths. Depending on the amount of neutral targets you destroy or spare, there are certain aircraft you unlock and different enemies you face. Find this game, and play the crap out of it. And help us Ace Combat fans in convincing Namco Bandai to release an HD remake of 4,5 and Zero. Expand
  10. EfeB.
    Jun 7, 2006
    who?...in their right mind, creates a flight sim with a "story"??? especially a story that is titled "the belkan war" which sounds like "balkan" war, but its not...just horrible production design, and product naming and its just still too "japanese". you know them japs are nuts about "stories". and what about the awful elevator music you get while flying?...sounds like pokemon and totally who?...in their right mind, creates a flight sim with a "story"??? especially a story that is titled "the belkan war" which sounds like "balkan" war, but its not...just horrible production design, and product naming and its just still too "japanese". you know them japs are nuts about "stories". and what about the awful elevator music you get while flying?...sounds like pokemon and totally ruins the war effect. but, the graphics are great...the planes look real and the terrains and clouds and missle effects are all great. to bad they havent fixed the explosions....they look like mario brothers explosions...puff of black smoke with red balls...yuck. i give 8....just for the cool planes. Expand
  11. StephenM.
    Feb 23, 2007
    I think that this is probably THE best game out of the entire Ace Combat Series. There should be more games like Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War in the future.
  12. Jul 2, 2012
    More replay value than 5 and better mission design in terms of playing it again, Zero does a hands down amazing job at adding in enemy squadrons and really makes them feel personal, adding in enemy squadrons and bios for named aces really gives you the feeling of fighting an actual war against actual people, not just computer controlled pilots. However the acting seems just a tad odd, IMore replay value than 5 and better mission design in terms of playing it again, Zero does a hands down amazing job at adding in enemy squadrons and really makes them feel personal, adding in enemy squadrons and bios for named aces really gives you the feeling of fighting an actual war against actual people, not just computer controlled pilots. However the acting seems just a tad odd, I can't quite put my finger on it, other than that they do a good job of giving each squad a theme. The game tries to really model a real war, and does a good job. You end up bombing civilians and Pixy constantly acts as the voice of reason towards PJ, the stereotypical peace fighter with no complexity or depth. The gameplay is standard, nothing really too new other than the change of the plane roster to(for some reason) remove a lot of planes from 5 and add in a few new ones, this is remedied by more special weapons and paint schemes. wingmen customization is also slightly removed by not allowing plane choice, yet also adds in the ability to specify for your wingman to only attack ground or air targets. Difficulty is nice, with the final squad mission being the highlight of the game for me, the final battle is pretty eh, and a death of a close character is added in very randomly and really feels useless and anti climactic. Soundtrack is simply amazing as expected, with a nice mix of genres that stays fresh. Overall the game does a good job of setting up a real war, but it really just doesn't do it 100% justice, meanwhile gameplay is improved in certain aspects and hurt in other places, it's odd that ACES forgot what they excelled in in their past installments, yet found new things to improve this time around to balance Expand
  13. Nov 1, 2016
    My first Ace Combat game. I had a real blast playing this. Game had a very good abd thoughful story with pretty well done FMV cutscenes. It was a cool touch how they tell you the stories of pilots you fought in the game. Jets had excellent modeling and felt wesome to fly and fight. All the missions were great with few being pretty epic.
  14. May 18, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review will be long, just for the sake of people interested in the game.

The sixth entry in the whole franchise. This game takes you into the seat of a mercenary known as Cipher, and the game narrates of his efforts during the Belkan War, giving you an in-depth prequel that explains the events that were mentioned in Ace Combat 5. The game itself doesn't change much from the rest, as the mechanics are basically from AC5, which is a bit of a let down. That, and the fact that you can't choose your wingman's plane, anymore, but instead, you choose his special weapons, which is more useful, to a point.

What the game doesn't have in new mechanics, it has in story and difficulty to spare. You don't have a tutorial mode, which is also a minus on its score, so it requires you to either have played previous AC games, or learn the controls by yourself. But when you master the controls and increase the difficulty up to ACE, the game rewards you. A lot. It presents a difficulty leap from the previous entries, which you'll either love or hate. The average Belkan planes are quite aggressive on their own, and the Ace squadrons only make it more challenging. And when you unlock the bonus mission, you'll understand that this game is not for the weak. Even more when you discover the secret boss.

The story it's more than a simply "good vs bad", cliched trope that was previously used in AC5. In Zero, you manage to see the reasons of why Belka started the war, and why the Gray Men returned in AC5. The references in this game are a bit more implicit, excluding the WWII ones, and you'll probably have to replay the game several times to understand them, and do some subtle research on your own. The story on its own its quite engaging, and it becomes more mature and grayer than the plots used in the previous two games. And it gives you a huge leap in character building, giving you the records of almost 200 enemy aces, whose stories are seen in the Assault Records, which are updated every time you down an enemy ace.

The soundtrack is nothing less than superb. More energetic and aggressive than AC5, which had orchestral and more refined tone, fitting for the story setting. The briefings have this 80 's synth bits that also fit the era, reminiscent to the Cold War era, The orchestral tracks are ominous and imposing, and the rock segments are quite really heavy, imitating what AC2 did back in its era, and the final mission has one of the best boss battle themes ever composed.

Overall, this game is one of the best in the whole franchise. Zero, along with 5 and 4, has its place well deserved in what we AC fans call the "Holy Trinity" tier. It has its flaws. The lack of tutorial, not any particular new mechanic, short gameplay, as it only has 18 missions plus the bonus one, some tedious missions, and minor frame drops in a certain one. That being said, this game is truly a good recommendation.
  15. IanC.
    Sep 9, 2006
    Not bad. Fun missions, but could have been longer with more missions. I had a problem with the randomness of the targeting system. I would have liked to be able to choose my target a little better.
  16. TylerS.
    Jul 1, 2006
    Ace Combat is the greatest airplane game ever Ace 5 had the best story for any game I have played. Ace Zero's story sucked there was nothing to it. The graphics are alsome and the planes are great but the story sucked big time. A better story and better missions whould of made this game the greatest game ever but still Ace 5 is the best game. Maybe if they make a new Ace Combat game Ace Combat is the greatest airplane game ever Ace 5 had the best story for any game I have played. Ace Zero's story sucked there was nothing to it. The graphics are alsome and the planes are great but the story sucked big time. A better story and better missions whould of made this game the greatest game ever but still Ace 5 is the best game. Maybe if they make a new Ace Combat game they will read this and make the greatest game ever. Expand
  17. Jake
    May 6, 2006
    Being a long time fan of the Ace Combat series, I was really disappointed. The game was really fun, but I beat it in about 5 hours. The last two missions really sucked, and the final battle music was far from epic. Could have been much better. I hope this is because they were rushed with the launch of the ps3 fast approaching. If this is the start of a trend, however, I may wind up Being a long time fan of the Ace Combat series, I was really disappointed. The game was really fun, but I beat it in about 5 hours. The last two missions really sucked, and the final battle music was far from epic. Could have been much better. I hope this is because they were rushed with the launch of the ps3 fast approaching. If this is the start of a trend, however, I may wind up abandoning what was once a great series. Expand
  18. ThomasF.
    Jul 3, 2006
    This game is very short and truly lacking in story depth. There is no explanation for your existance as a mercenary, there is no good explanation for your nickname "Demon Lord." You have no reason to have empathy with your wingman, which was a huge let down after Ace combat 5's very interactive story line with your wingmen. And last but not least, there was so much about the Belkan This game is very short and truly lacking in story depth. There is no explanation for your existance as a mercenary, there is no good explanation for your nickname "Demon Lord." You have no reason to have empathy with your wingman, which was a huge let down after Ace combat 5's very interactive story line with your wingmen. And last but not least, there was so much about the Belkan war from Ace Combat 5, that I don't understand why the war was so short and very few of the discussed events are visible to the player. Would it have been so hard to interact with Pops and Bartlett? Expand
  19. AnsonG.
    May 13, 2006
    This game was quite good but those level mission are quite few and the last mission is pretty bang up. However, namco could have put many mission on it so that other people well impress.(sigh) anyway i quite enjoyed about this Ace Combat series, keep it up, Namco.
  20. Tom
    Apr 27, 2006
    Yea, i love the series, but this was a huge dissapointment. The story sucks seeing as it involves a war that, as presented in ace combat 5, seemed to resemble world war two. It could have been epic, and it sucked. Not only that, it was too short. The missions were pretty much re-playing ace combat 4 and 5. The trench/tunnel missions are getting repetitive, too. It seems like the effort Yea, i love the series, but this was a huge dissapointment. The story sucks seeing as it involves a war that, as presented in ace combat 5, seemed to resemble world war two. It could have been epic, and it sucked. Not only that, it was too short. The missions were pretty much re-playing ace combat 4 and 5. The trench/tunnel missions are getting repetitive, too. It seems like the effort wasnt there, and that namco was just trying to squeeze the last few bucks it could out of this series on the ps2. It was hard for me to admit this game sucked, seeing as i love the series, but thinking it over, yea... I am dissapointed. Expand
  21. JoshT.
    May 25, 2006
    Ace Combat Zero was a huge disappointment for me. I felt that the presentation was horrible, the story was not as indepth as it should have been and this game is way to short. After playing through Ace Combat 5 and taking in all the references to the belkan war I was really surprised to find out that very few of those references actually made into the game in Zero. The gameplay is your Ace Combat Zero was a huge disappointment for me. I felt that the presentation was horrible, the story was not as indepth as it should have been and this game is way to short. After playing through Ace Combat 5 and taking in all the references to the belkan war I was really surprised to find out that very few of those references actually made into the game in Zero. The gameplay is your typical Ace Combat game but there were only a few exciting and nervewracking moments to be found. The bottom line is that if you want a good Ace Combat game that has an awesome presentation, awesome missions and a great storyline pick up Ace Combat 5......or maybe even 4. Zero is worth a rental. Expand
  22. JohnnyD.
    Apr 26, 2006
    its pritty good butt the final missions was a huged let down.

#20 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006
#22 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2006

1. A fans dream and an excellent place for newcomers to enter. The best of AC 4 & AC 5 have been melded to make what feels like the best iteration of the series yet. [JPN Import]
  2. Play Magazine
    It's not that it's bad....it's just not as good as the last few games in the series. [May 2006, p.52]
  3. Game Informer
    The seemingly complicated flight sim-like elements scared me away from this game for a long time, but once you give it a shot, you'd be surprised how accessible and fun it can be. [May 2006, p.102]