• Publisher: Midway
  • Release Date: Apr 25, 2005
  • Also On: PC
8.4

1. Oct 16, 2011
    A great FPS game based off the original arcade Area 51 i love it it can get sad especially when crispy... i think you know but i certainly recommend it to everyone 10/10
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    A 100% classic! A perfect choice if you're looking for a great FPS, the story and suspense will keep you on the edge of your seat and while the gameplay is the same as other FPS, the multi-player will keep you from ever growing bored online. One of the game modes online titled "Infection" is the funnest mode I ever played online in a action game.

As I already mentioned the campaign

As I already mentioned the campaign gameplay is not much different from other FPS, but the story is so intense, the atmosphere is so creepy and the voice acting is so believable you will be hooked and may even lose yourself and begin to believe you're in an Alien or Predator movie.

This review may have come too late for many as now we're on the verge of Xbox One and PS4, but if you still own a PS2 or Xbox, please pick it up, you will not be let down. A very rare 10 out of 10.

FYI: Brian Warner (Marilyn Manson) does the voice for Edgar (the main villain) and he does a great job.
  3. BryanB.
    May 12, 2005
    This is the best FPS game for the ps2 yet, the critics need to really play the game for what it is and not sit there and pick out every thing wrong with it.
  4. DAGAME
    Jun 1, 2005
    It's soooo great i love da way all the aliens just pop out of no were and the cut scenes are also top quality.
  5. Brent
    Apr 7, 2005
    Dude this game is awsome but thats the thing im a alien fan and i like ufos but i couldent get the story that good.
  6. PS2Fan
    May 3, 2005
    Better on the XBOX. still good though.
  7. Sam
    May 6, 2005
    Great game.
  8. AnsonG.
    Jun 6, 2006
    Best 1st person shooter ps2 i ever played. Single player is good. This game still makes jump out when the mutant zombie come out or an ambush attacks my party from no where. A very scary, dark and bloody game. Also, I liked those graphics, music and the audio sounds. The voice is so familiar at me about Ethan Cole. David Duchovny, isnt it? Its the same guy that plays Mulder in X-Files. I Best 1st person shooter ps2 i ever played. Single player is good. This game still makes jump out when the mutant zombie come out or an ambush attacks my party from no where. A very scary, dark and bloody game. Also, I liked those graphics, music and the audio sounds. The voice is so familiar at me about Ethan Cole. David Duchovny, isnt it? Its the same guy that plays Mulder in X-Files. I thought so. Its difficult game, but i just makes it better. Nice work. Expand
  9. hildasanchez
    Apr 14, 2004
    Dammn this game is good. If you are one of the people who enjoy perfect dark then youll love this game. It features online play, cool graphic and its a great game to buy.
    Although its release date is10/12/2004 its going to be one of the best games ever. Its also adaptable with ps2 hard drive disk and you be able to download data from the internet.Notice hdd requires network adapter to be able to save information.
  10. NickS.
    Apr 25, 2005
    Best FPS on the PS2 yet.
  11. David
    Apr 26, 2005
    Great FPS. such a great campainn mode.
  12. BonehoC.
    Apr 27, 2005
    Excellent, astounding game. Ignore the critics for they've forgotten that a game shouldn't be reviewed on wether the voice acting is boring or if the storyline is perfectly constructed or not. It's about how fun and addicting the game's experience is. For Area 51, it's fun the whole way through.
  13. RonnieR.
    May 16, 2005
    It looks like a realy cool game.
  14. JeffA.
    May 27, 2005
    Best FPS I have ever played on any console. The action never stops. Everything from enemy and your teams AI to the weapons and plot is top notch. Area-51 leaves Halo 2 in the dust.
  15. JoeyJoJojo
    Jun 21, 2005
    Best FPS on PS2... Critics suck it... Buy it, rent it, steal it...you'll enjoy it.
  16. Thinkablefire
    Jul 12, 2005
    This game is definitley well done. This game can be the next Halo for some. Full of action and suspense. Great story line and amazing graphics. Plays better on Xbox from my opinion. In all an awsome game.
  17. EbsanU.
    Apr 16, 2005
    The graphics are insanely awsome for the PS2. I have played all the demos, and they're worthy enough to play over and over, that's how good it is.
  18. VincentA.
    Apr 26, 2005
    Some of the best graphics on the PS2. If you own a PS2 and want own a good FPS, this is the FPS to get.
  19. JohnD.
    Apr 27, 2005
    Good online, good story, good gameplay. Intense action. Great graphics, cool innovative infection. the only disappointment would be no co-op and no bot, but the single player is just so frikin good. and the online is so frikin good too, the lack of coop and bots really doesn't hinder the game.
  20. lkjjklkj
    Aug 22, 2005
    This game was amazing. This is byfar my favorite FPS that i have.
  21. Dilliboo
    May 29, 2006
    This game is totally sweet and in my opinion the best game ever made.

1. While technologically astounding and generally satisfying in terms of gameplay, Area 51 could have used a deeper, clearer story and another five to 10 hours of play time. [March 2005, p.86]
    From its chaotic beginning to its clinically insane conclusion, Area 51 provides just enough classic FPS action and technical goodness to merit a great rating and honest recommendation.
  3. With guns firing at full tilt, and mindless carnage taking center stage, Midway has a surefire hit on its hands. [May 2005, p.108]