• Publisher: Midway
  • Release Date: Apr 25, 2005
  • Also On: PC
8.4

1. Oct 16, 2011
    A great FPS game based off the original arcade Area 51 i love it it can get sad especially when crispy... i think you know but i certainly recommend it to everyone 10/10
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    A 100% classic! A perfect choice if you're looking for a great FPS, the story and suspense will keep you on the edge of your seat and while the gameplay is the same as other FPS, the multi-player will keep you from ever growing bored online. One of the game modes online titled "Infection" is the funnest mode I ever played online in a action game.

As I already mentioned the campaign
    gameplay is not much different from other FPS, but the story is so intense, the atmosphere is so creepy and the voice acting is so believable you will be hooked and may even lose yourself and begin to believe you're in an Alien or Predator movie.

This review may have come too late for many as now we're on the verge of Xbox One and PS4, but if you still own a PS2 or Xbox, please pick it up, you will not be let down. A very rare 10 out of 10.

FYI: Brian Warner (Marilyn Manson) does the voice for Edgar (the main villain) and he does a great job.
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    This game is definitely an oldy nowadays, but anyway I purchased this game back on the PS2 and honestly I thought it was a great FPS shooter and I gave it an 8 out of 10.
  4. Aug 25, 2012
    Area 51 is far away from being a bad game, but it's for sure not a game for everyone. it has great graphics, a creepy - or maybe better: shocking atmosphere, good light effects, good controls, a story which isn't too silly, characters which are talking together during a mission, David Duchovnys' (X-Files) and Marilyn Mansons´ voices and so on... so first you should like brutal games, but you wouldn't read this, if you dislike this, right?! but there are another reasons why some shooter-fans maybe don't get into this game: it's a first person shooter in which you never really have to think, to think about your strategy or anything else. Just run around and shoot like a berserk. it's a awesome game for those who don't want to think about having not enough ammo and so on. you can shoot all the time, you will always have enough bullets. there is also not really a need of choosing the right weapon in different situations cause the game will do even this for you (optional). for me this game was somewhat boring, but if you like straight shooters, like not to think about saving ammo for later, just shoot, this one is definitive a good choice for you, and in this case a "awesome game". for me - as i have written already - this concept is boring Expand
  5. Jan 24, 2013
    A rather average FPS. Really not doing too much new. Being a big X-Files fan, having David Duchovny in the leading role was made the game stand out for me. I was highly disappointed just how little voice work Marilyn Manson did in the game I believe he only has small scene towards the end of the game, and two or three short line in game. A real shame as I remeber that at the time he was being given top billing. top billing my ***! More like a brief cameo. That aside I did enjoy the game. Overall: A decent FPS, but nothing too memorable aside from the great voice acting (but likely that's just my inner fan-boy speaking.) Expand

1. While technologically astounding and generally satisfying in terms of gameplay, Area 51 could have used a deeper, clearer story and another five to 10 hours of play time. [March 2005, p.86]
    From its chaotic beginning to its clinically insane conclusion, Area 51 provides just enough classic FPS action and technical goodness to merit a great rating and honest recommendation.
  3. With guns firing at full tilt, and mindless carnage taking center stage, Midway has a surefire hit on its hands. [May 2005, p.108]