7.7

1. Jan 25, 2013
    One of my favorite JRPGs on the PS2. Fun story, great alchemy system that keeps you intrigued as you are always trying to make better and better items. Surprising on just how little actual combat there is in this game.While it does have combat, for most of the first two thirds of the game you really spend walking around and creating new alchemy items. Story is good, characters are likableOne of my favorite JRPGs on the PS2. Fun story, great alchemy system that keeps you intrigued as you are always trying to make better and better items. Surprising on just how little actual combat there is in this game.While it does have combat, for most of the first two thirds of the game you really spend walking around and creating new alchemy items. Story is good, characters are likable (even Norn has her charm.) Overall: A fun JRPG that is fun to play, even relaxing at time with a lighthearted pace. Expand
  2. Dec 11, 2012
    Among the many creators or RPGs, Gust is one of my favorite after Atlus (and for the western side, Bethesda). For what I recall, this was one of their first games that was released outside Japan (infact, it's one of the fewest Atelier games where the main character is a male because of the habit of having male characters in here), and I was hooked immediately by the game's charm: it has aAmong the many creators or RPGs, Gust is one of my favorite after Atlus (and for the western side, Bethesda). For what I recall, this was one of their first games that was released outside Japan (infact, it's one of the fewest Atelier games where the main character is a male because of the habit of having male characters in here), and I was hooked immediately by the game's charm: it has a sloppy but cute graphic, a roster of simple yet interesting characters, and a (small) world to explore and play, without mentioning that you can also interact with the enviroment (you can jump, for starters, and you'll have spells to help you clear the way or pass over obstacles). The Atelier series (and almost all Gust games) is clearly known for the synthesizing feature, and unlike many games where this is hard and manytimes useless, it's actually rewarded and it's "rarely" a chore. It plays like a turn based RPGs, a simple yet good system, and you're also able to change characters between turns if needed, because characters are strongly unique in both their attacks range (one can attack in a vertical line, some can attack in a wider, etc) and spells (Klein, the main character, is the only one who can create strong spells with alchemy, and Lita is the fastest character and can sometimes attack twice in a row). Of course, being a Gust game, it has plenty of flaws (and few bugs). First of all, the prospective used in the game is sometimes very hard to follow. The locations are all set in a isometrical prospective but unfortunely it can become hard to see where to go: some ledges might be lower than you think and at times you think you can jump somewhere close, but it's higher than your jump: this can be extremely frustrating because you'll never understand how the places are designed. Also, the graphics are definitely not high quality and the animations are very minimalistic and even though I don't bother bad graphics and such, some people might not be able to get over it. Same goes for the battle system: it's actually well thought and kinda deep: you are in a small invisible grid and depending on which position you are, you can avoid area, and you won't be able to target all enemies at once because of their divisions. Each character has also their skills (about 8 in total: passive and active included), each one upgradeable by using different manas and at every level up, with also few skills to obtain with some extra missions. Again, this might discourage some players because it's kinda deep, but not completely necessary, and unless you really want to maximize your characters you won't be really bothering that much, since a good grinding will do the trick anyways. The world map also, which is small but a nice addition (this is one of the fewest game I've played on the PS2 where there's an actual world map), but it's terribly done and, once again, if you cannot pass the bad graphics, you will NOT endure this. The story also isn't bad but it's also that great, for two reasons: 1) you'll focus your time doing synthesizing in order to make more items (which, by the way, trigger more sub-events that explains the background characters, which are very remarkable) 2) the main villain is very forgettable and while the story itself is interesting, you'll never remember why you're doing all this. Also, some characters with you aren't very good (two of them) because one will be hindered by an event in the game, while the other...has a very bad skill list, and so you'll focus on three or four max (luckily, all characters share exp, just halved). All in all, I can say this: it's a fun game to play and has its own style, but the game and graphical flaws might discourage people to play it. If you're a nostalgic and don't mind bad graphics, but a different JRPG from the usual Final Fantasy, I highly recommend to give this game a try. On the other hand, if you cannot play a game that's not as high in quality as Final Fantasy, don't even look at this game. Or else you will faint from just seeing the graphics and bad translations bits (some dialogues are ok though)! Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2014
    The very first Atelier Iris game I ever played, has everything the recent games lack.

Interesting Story, characters and battle mechanics.

Back when I first played this game, I thought it was something very original. Unlike any other RPG, and yet, I still believe is one of the best RPG's in the ps2 era. Why it is underrated is beyond me.

A solid game to replay.
  4. CodyE.
    Jun 30, 2005
    WOO This game ROXORS.
  5. SoraS.
    Jul 11, 2005
    Man! This game is cool. But it is too short. And I'll like Atelier more if it has GF like Final Fantasy.^^
  6. NicholasT.
    Mar 6, 2008
    Atelier Iris 6 brings us a well stitched up rpg classic that combines awesome 2d graphics, great music, good battlesystem and fun adventure. Only real shortcoming is in the jump and jump controls it could have used more tweaking. Liked Lunar? You'll enjoy atelier iris eternal mana for sure.
  7. GravityPull
    Aug 6, 2005
    Very good RPG but not as good as Shadow Hearts -Covenant. A little too short and very kiddy dialogue.
  8. ColdHand
    Sep 10, 2005
    Personally, I loved it, bit I can understand people who don't... Almost all characters are childish and the storyline is... wel... not really inspired. The REAL interest of this game definitely lies in the Alchemy and all the items you can synthetize. I loved it !
  9. Nick
    Oct 23, 2005
    It's a really good game becaques i like to play different kinds of RPGs.
  10. ChewbakaSolo
    Jun 29, 2005
    This game Rules!

#72 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#58 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    A potent concoction that should appeal to any RPG fan. [July 2005, p.112]
  2. Game Informer
    The icing on this cake of RPG happiness is the clever and relatively gaffe-free localization. [June 2005, p.128]
  3. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    While at times a throwback to the last generation of RPGs, it's surprisingly full-featured and charming; fans of the item crafting in "Star Ocean" will be in heaven. [July 2005, p.75]