8.6

1. Mar 14, 2013
    Almost identical to the first game in terms of gameplay. But, Dark Alliance 2 is to Dark Alliance 1 what Diablo 2 is to Diablo 1. More or less the same just amped up, perfected and done allot better than before. BG: DA2 is perhaps the best hack-n-slash game on the PS2 and demonstrated its engine to perfection. Overall a brilliant game.
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    Look at what the first game did: chapters, D&D level up system and lots of hack and slash. Basic PS2 RPG, now look at the second one. It has all the same things, horrible, horrible game. I'm joking, it takes these three qualities and expands on them. Lets start with chapters: way more chapters, a prologue system and each chapter is longer. Now the Level up system: way more qualities that make it way more like a D&D Game, plus you can level up your class, such as Cleric to Paladin. Hack and Slash, way more enemies and way more kinds of enemies.

Now this game resembles a RPG way more than the predecessor and that is a very good thing, with the aforementioned qualities, it already starts to sound more like a DnD game. There is a world map, so you can travel to your locations and see the places in the world. You can also travel back to locations, each time with there being different and more enemies. This way, the city of Baldur's Gate acts as a hub city from where you can travel locations, thus making the game semi open-world.

The story, like always, is great, why? Because, I am Mordoc SeLanmere.

Then comes the weapon creation system. Not only can you create your own weapons, but you can modify your other ones, as well as armour. This makes sure that rubies and sapphires and rings aren't completely useless.

While we can say the first game to be about 10 % RPG and 90 % Action, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II is about 35 % RPG the rest action. This is a great improvement, the only bad thing is, there is not going to be a third one, at least not until Interplay makes a deal with Atari or the Wizards of the Coast.
  3. Dec 6, 2012
    My all time favorite game for the PS2.. Just as good as the first but with more characters, and in my opinion a much better story. Of course i wouldn't recommend this game for story alone; it is a decent story but nothing compared to bg1/2. The gameplay is what really got me hooked. I enjoy playing one hero more than a party. Playing this game with my brother was the most fun i've ever had on a console. I don't think it would have been nearly as fun solo (i have played it solo) because the teamwork involved in the classes makes everything feel more rewarding. I played the necromancer and he played the barb, and when i casted haste we would steamroll over anything in our path. It was a lot of fun finding gems and gear in this game as well. The boss fights are still some of the most balanced i've had in any game. I highly recommend trying this game, and with a friend if possible. It's just a shame it was never released on PC so that you could play with your friends online :( Expand
  4. Mar 31, 2014
    This is PS2 RPG perfection! Vhaidra, who was brought in here has become a hugely popular character years after this game failed to have a sequel produced. People keep a PS3 around just to play this game!
  5. Dec 24, 2011
    Action/RPG perfection. Awesome game in every way. Excellent replay value, with all the different characters, and the unlockable extreme mode. Love the first game, love this one even more.

1. A wonderful example of how to craft a fun and exciting game out of a genre that is ageing poorly. This game shows that there is still some life yet in the hack and slash RPG, and for that I am grateful.
    While some of the areas are bigger than the ones found in the original, almost all of them are less interesting. The game's dungeons and outdoor areas are, for the most part, boring.
  3. The boys and girls at Black Isle Studios put over 100,000 hours into the development of Dark Alliance II and it shows. Dark Alliance II is a great experience to enjoy either alone or with a friend and greatly improves upon almost every feature available in its 2001 predecessor.