8.1

1. Apr 23, 2011
    This is a prime example of a dungeon crawler. Its addictive, has great characters, and a good range of environments. From the moment I finished the first dungeon I was sucked in, and for the short 10 hours it lasts its worth every penny. What I simply dont get is why there is such rave reviews - its good at what it does but its lacking in so many respects. In short; you go through dungeons, try and find the best weapons, and level up your skills. Thats it.
    The game could have been greatly enhanced if there were side quests or other things to find. As it stands its fun and addictive but is not on my top list of great RPG games. Even still, its definitely worth a pop.
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    This is the game that sets the standards for RPG's on the Plyastation 2, why? It is the first RPG on the PS2, every PS2 RPG to come after it has some resemblance, though minimal at some point, they do bear resemblance. While it may bear more resemblance to an action-adventure game, it is still a RPG at its core, being played out in chapters, a very D&D level up system and an incredible graphics engine. What is not to love about this RPG?

Its not about the hack and slash, but its rather the intriguing story that goes behind this Call of Duty for Storytellers. It has incredible graphics, D&D monsters, D&D setting, D&D spells, D&D level up system and lots of blood and gore in great graphics. I say again: Whats not to love?
  3. Mar 14, 2013
    To be honest, I was a little disappointed when I first played this. Baldur's Gate 2 on the PC is my favorite game of all time and I was almost orgasmic when I heard there was to be a new Baldur's on the PS2. And it really is VERY different to its PC counterpart. The game itself was pretty good and perhaps one of the better action RPGs on the PS2. Still the initial disappointment did leave a bad taste in my mouth. Overall: A decent game with good visuals, nice story and fun combat. Expand
  4. Sep 14, 2013
    It absolutely boggles my mind that this game has such high scores. Nice graphics? Yeah sure. Interesting? Initially. Fun? Possibly, for the whole 5 hour length of the game. But it lacks the allure to play it again, because every aspect of the game is fresh in your mind after you beat it, it's THAT short. The length of the game wasn't a new type of disappointment. I know short games were a trend with a lot of PS2 games, and I'm not sure why. RPGs on older systems took DAYS to finish, some even took weeks because there was so much trial and error, and waiting for magazines to come along with tips. You couldn't beat Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Ocarina of Time, or FFVII in one sitting. You could barely beat them in one week. It was simply impossible, not to mention really bad for your health to even try.

But Baldur's Gate: one evening. I was only like 16 too. A video game veteran by that time sure, but the PS2 was a fairly new console when this game came out (and not many, if any, other RPGs), so no one could really be expected to anticipate what it had in store. What a massive disappointment. Paid full MSRP price for this thing brand new, and was taking it to the buyback store the next day because it has absolutely 0 replay value. What crap. I don't even want to play it now, 12 years later. The entire scope of the game is THAT fresh in my mind, I know everything that will happen, and I even remember what all the enemies looked like. That's quite telling.
  5. Mar 31, 2014
    The prequel to Dark Alliance II. This is the game that started all of the great RPG games on the PS2. Many keep a PS3 just to play this. It is a great game and tells the back story behind Dark Alliance II.

1. A fine RPG, very loosely based upon a simplified Dungeons & Dragons motif. The game mechanics are easy, leaving you to focus on the puzzles, the high-adrenaline battles, and the lustful visuals.
  2. Now here comes the main niggle I have with this otherwise incredible co-op game. It’s short. I mean Danny De Vito short. My friend and I did it in less than 10 hours, and we explored everywhere and killed everything.
  3. Shorter than the average RPG, this game should take you about 18 hours to complete but the two player co-op and the two other class characters will add to the replay value. Truly an instant classic that will be enjoyed by gamers of all persuasion.