8.3

1. JimmyWoodnut
    Aug 20, 2004
    Good interactivity and violence and difficulty but is nothing compared 2 bulders gate 2 which is even more difficult this game lacks on gameplay and thats y i gave it a 3 it can also get reeeeeaaaallllyyyy boring.
  2. MichaelC.
    Mar 14, 2008
    Nice game, except for some of the level design. Whoever thought that Thieve's Guild, level 2 was a good idea was a jerk. Dying 50+ times until you get a lucky sequence of platform drops is the worst game experience I have ever had.
  3. Sep 14, 2013
    It absolutely boggles my mind that this game has such high scores. Nice graphics? Yeah sure. Interesting? Initially. Fun? Possibly, for the whole 5 hour length of the game. But it lacks the allure to play it again, because every aspect of the game is fresh in your mind after you beat it, it's THAT short. The length of the game wasn't a new type of disappointment. I know short games were aIt absolutely boggles my mind that this game has such high scores. Nice graphics? Yeah sure. Interesting? Initially. Fun? Possibly, for the whole 5 hour length of the game. But it lacks the allure to play it again, because every aspect of the game is fresh in your mind after you beat it, it's THAT short. The length of the game wasn't a new type of disappointment. I know short games were a trend with a lot of PS2 games, and I'm not sure why. RPGs on older systems took DAYS to finish, some even took weeks because there was so much trial and error, and waiting for magazines to come along with tips. You couldn't beat Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Ocarina of Time, or FFVII in one sitting. You could barely beat them in one week. It was simply impossible, not to mention really bad for your health to even try.

But Baldur's Gate: one evening. I was only like 16 too. A video game veteran by that time sure, but the PS2 was a fairly new console when this game came out (and not many, if any, other RPGs), so no one could really be expected to anticipate what it had in store. What a massive disappointment. Paid full MSRP price for this thing brand new, and was taking it to the buyback store the next day because it has absolutely 0 replay value. What crap. I don't even want to play it now, 12 years later. The entire scope of the game is THAT fresh in my mind, I know everything that will happen, and I even remember what all the enemies looked like. That's quite telling.

#21 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#14 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. A fine RPG, very loosely based upon a simplified Dungeons & Dragons motif. The game mechanics are easy, leaving you to focus on the puzzles, the high-adrenaline battles, and the lustful visuals.
  2. Now here comes the main niggle I have with this otherwise incredible co-op game. It’s short. I mean Danny De Vito short. My friend and I did it in less than 10 hours, and we explored everywhere and killed everything.
  3. Cheat Code Central
    Shorter than the average RPG, this game should take you about 18 hours to complete but the two player co-op and the two other class characters will add to the replay value. Truly an instant classic that will be enjoyed by gamers of all persuasion.