9.2

1. Irysa
    May 21, 2008
    Before I being to comment on the actual game itself, I'd like to say that the majority of these reviews are completely looking at the game the wrong way. This is not a combo crazy action game, this is not a typical JRPG. It's a Post Apocalyptic Roguelike, more akin to the likes of Nethack and Shiren the Wanderer than Final Fantasy or Devil May Cry. I believe reviewers have gone Before I being to comment on the actual game itself, I'd like to say that the majority of these reviews are completely looking at the game the wrong way. This is not a combo crazy action game, this is not a typical JRPG. It's a Post Apocalyptic Roguelike, more akin to the likes of Nethack and Shiren the Wanderer than Final Fantasy or Devil May Cry. I believe reviewers have gone the wrong way about it entirely, as this is honestly a landmark in terms of Roguelike advancement. Baroque is the only, I repeat, THE ONLY (bar the original), Roguelike to preform in a real time system. A better comparison of the system would be something similar to Phantasy Star Online. It's gameplay is most certainly not for everyone, but Atlus labeled this as a hardcore game for a reason. The high amount of randomness and variety give the game a strong lasting appeal, and do require you to use much of your resources to advance. The game is designed around the death of the player. You are SUPPOSED to die, it's not a punishment. Graphically, Baroque is certainly lacking, but makes up for it with Art direction. The music is much akin to something out of say, Shin Megami Tensei. I enjoy it enough to purchase the soundtrack. If you enjoy Roguelikes, I highly recommend this game. Expand

The gameplay can be cheap, but it does have a good degree of challenge. Technical aspects are weak, but there is some style going for it.
  2. A fiendishly difficult, randomly generated dungeon crawler that at times can be an incredible work of interactive fiction, and at other times, a muddled mess.
  3. A fairly uninteresting story along with badly written characters won't encourage you to play this to the end. Still, fans of dungeon crawlers will likely find something here to like.