• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Mar 28, 2006
8.9

1. Apr 29, 2014
    Probably the best ps2 rhythm game.
    Also, for everybody saying this game is a clone of guitar hero... The damn game came before guitar hero!!!
    (At least the first games in the series)
    Sure, it may be hard but still the game was made in japan, what do you expect? As a osu!mania player i sure do enjoy this game a lot!
    Not a must buy, but recommended if you're into rhythm games!
  2. CharlieC.
    Jun 20, 2007
    Could have been considerably better, particularly the largely obnoxious music selection, but such a low price for such an awesome peripheral can't be beat. Plus, the game really isn't half bad.
  3. JimmusM.
    Sep 29, 2006
    Lame. The beginning songs are just annoying and sound like someone dabbling on a sequencer board. The scratching is under-sensitive and doesn't register at times. The timing seems off, so you have to hit keys late to be in synch. (Gee, either that, or I have absolutely no rhythm at all...) This game is no competition whatsoever to Guitar Hero, which is fantastic. I bought it for the Lame. The beginning songs are just annoying and sound like someone dabbling on a sequencer board. The scratching is under-sensitive and doesn't register at times. The timing seems off, so you have to hit keys late to be in synch. (Gee, either that, or I have absolutely no rhythm at all...) This game is no competition whatsoever to Guitar Hero, which is fantastic. I bought it for the songs by Moby and Timo Maas, but I'll take it back to the store and hold my breath for Guitar Hero II. Expand
  4. J.Reyes
    May 3, 2006
    Awesome game. If only the songlist was longer.... it would be perfect, but it still deserves a perfect score.
  5. SamuelP.
    Apr 2, 2006
    A masterpiece of musical proportions. This game brings in the beats unlike any other music game out there. Move over DDR, watch out Guitar Hero, here comes BeatMania!
  6. JamesN.
    Mar 29, 2006
    An excellent game. Intriguing gameplay, and great songs have kept me playing this game for over three years on import. I am so glad it has finally reached the states at an reasonable price. Don't let the steep learning curve get you down, the pay-off of spending time with it is worth it.
  7. T-4
    Mar 29, 2006
    Beatmania is one of the best rhythm/music games in the world today. It has a huge following in Japan, and even has a strong following in America already. This release, whether flop or hit, will start something big.

1. The game's a serious hand-eye workout with a lot of depth, but next time we'd like to see it become a little more accessible for the non-hardcore. [Apr 2006, p.85]
  2. If you're determined to don cans and rock the boards, you'd be better off just buying the real thing. [Apr 2006, p.102]
  3. Doesn't really offer the same visceral thrill as something like "Guitar Hero" or even any of the "DDR" games. [Apr 2006, p.82]