6.6

1. Dec 29, 2014
    One of my personal favorite RPG's of all time, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has an engaging story and extremely fun combat. It was a bold decision to have the game step away from the formula of it's predecessors and take the series in a different direction and while many loyal fans of the series were disappointed by the changes, it'd be fair to say that had the game not been labelled aOne of my personal favorite RPG's of all time, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has an engaging story and extremely fun combat. It was a bold decision to have the game step away from the formula of it's predecessors and take the series in a different direction and while many loyal fans of the series were disappointed by the changes, it'd be fair to say that had the game not been labelled a Breath of Fire game most of them wouldn't have had an issue.

This is most definitely a game intended to be played over and over again. Partly because unless you are extremely skilled, you aren't going to be able to get through the story on your first attempt due to certain boss battles being extremely difficult on the first play through and starting from the beginning or from your last save with some extra party exp to spread around can make all the difference and secondly in order to unlock all of the cut scenes to learn the entire story behind the events of the game.

The limiting of Ryu to a single dragon form when traditionally he had access to many different forms was a risky one but in my opinion it worked. Instead of having 50 or more forms of which you'd possibly use 5 or 6 throughout the entire game. DQ gives you a single extremely powerful, almost invulnerable form with the catch being that you can only use it so much until you die from it and have to start over from the beginning. It forces you to be strategic about using the form only for tough fights you wouldn't be able to beat otherwise rather than being cheap and using your dragon form for every fight.

Overall Dragon Quarter is a unique experience that changes up an old formula and adds an engaging story and likable characters to a new combat system like nothing any game had offered before it.

+ Great combat system
    + Engaging story
    + Excellent replay value
    + A bold step in a new direction for the series, it's different but by no means bad

- The holding back of certain story elements can leave the player confused as to why certain things happen until later runs through the game
    - Environments are very repetitive, especially through the middle part of the game
  2. Friday
    Jul 26, 2003
    Great game, fun, and interesting too!
  3. ChadR.
    Apr 16, 2003
    I keeps me on my toes to the last I'm still intrested for the 40th. time it got to me.
  4. ScottH.
    Jun 26, 2003
    It is the best rpg ever.
  5. SeanG.
    Aug 16, 2004
    The game itself is absolutely excellent the storyline of the game grips the player and brings them to the front line of the game i hope with all my heart that they will bring out a number 6 installment of the breath of fire series.
  6. JoeP.
    Jun 28, 2003
    This is one of the best rpgs i ever played!!!i love the battle system.i just think the grafics are what they could have been.
  7. RyanT.
    Mar 21, 2004
    No, this game didn't scare me away from the Breath of Fire franchise; it drew me in closer.
  8. JeffK.
    Feb 14, 2007
    This is honestly the greatest game of all time. I have beaten it twice and the plot and storyline are unbelievable it is like an awesome movie the only flaw is when it ended the ending video is almost touching I hope they make another one no I pray they do!

#35 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

It's designed to be played through multiple times, and won't show anywhere near the whole of its plot or locations first time out.
  2. But to start an RPG from the beginning just to save your experience is overly tedious. And starting from a save points at a loss of your stats is equally lame.
  3. Good-looking stuff even if what most gamers will recall from their time with Dragon Quarter is being blinded by the darkness and a PSOne-sponsored shade of the color brown.