8.9

1. Dec 15, 2013
    Wow. I remembered when I used to play this game every single time on my PS2 back in 2004-2005. This game is flawless. The damage model of vehicles is what I loved about this game. Not only does it make crashes fun to watch, but it's so sophisticated that the unpredictable happens at some points (such as explosions). This game really deserves the place of best arcade racer on the PS2 (the best simulation racer would be Gran Turismo 4). Criterion ought to make a spiritual successor to this game. Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2013
    The best racing game that i have played. Many game mode, battle in the road, overtop graphics for PS2 games, excellent cars and many more. The success product made by criterion games.
  3. Nov 7, 2013
    This was the first game I got with my PS2, and one of the best I ever played on it. When I started playing this game, I didn't have a memory card yet.. but that didn't matter because along with a few buddies I could play this game the whole day (over 100 races, 3 people, the loser gives up the controller) with only the three starting cars available and a single map to race on. Treat this as an indication on how fun the game was (splitscreen road rage rox). The solo campaign was amazing as well providing challenge and various racing/crash modes (for example: normal race, time attack, road rage where you have to destroy your opponents by crushing them into walls/trafic...). Although I currently have a PS3, sometimes I still go back to play this game a little. Oh.. and I don't even really like racing games...

Technically, from a PS2 perspective this game has great graphics, which do NOT fail (especially in single player mode) to give the sense of speed which makes this game such a joy to play. The graphics are accompanied by a fitting soundtrack, which makes you want to go faster and faster. One thing to remember this is an arcade style game, so don't expect any realism in driving your car.

The only thing that bothered my in this game was the loading times and the enemy AI (thankfully only a little bit).

So to conclude in my opinion this game is a "must have" for PS2 owners.
  4. May 16, 2012
    I love this game. Probably the best PS2 game ever. I love all the races there, and the cars. Probably the best game for your games collection! The graphics are great, gameplay is legendary and a very fun game!
  5. May 14, 2012
    I really love this game its challenging and you can unlock bunch of cars. There is nothing better than crashing cars in other cars. In my option this is best driving game ever made.
  6. Mar 19, 2012
    By far the best racing game ive ever played. the cars, the speed the music... its all.... Perfect. its really a shame that criterion hasnt made anything that really competes with it. i mean, paradise was a good game, but not a good burnout game.
  7. Nov 21, 2011
    Burnout 3 has been my first and last racing game, and not surprisingly my favorite racing game. All of the game modes are very fun and the World Tour took me forever to finish. So far I haven't had any problems with this game.
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    One of the best racing games you'll find on the PS2 aside from the Gran Turismo series. Pros: Excellent single-player gameplay and multi-player mode with online support; visually stunning; slick controls. Cons: The unskippable training sequences are annoying at times; the DJ is even more so.
  9. Nov 5, 2010
    Burnout 3: Takedown is one of the best if not best driving game I've played. This Burnout game is significantly different from the old ones. This is the first Burnout game published by Electronic Arts and they have added an official soundtrack to the game which is nice but there is too much skate rock in the soundtrack to my liking. The game play is similar to the previous Burnout games: Race around circuits trying to come in first play while avoiding traffic at high speeds. However now the game rewards you doing aggressive driving maneuvers like taking your opponents down (called a Takedown) where you barge or ram your opponents off the road and send them crashing into a wall or traffic. This earns you a boost top up which unlike the first two games, you can use the boost whenever you like (if you have any boost) instead of waiting to fully fill the boost bar and then try to use it in all in one go and can be increased from a small boost bar (which you start with) to a boost bar 4 times bigger but crash or get taken out by an opponent, you'll lose a segment of your boost bar (there are 3 segments of the boost bar). The annoying checkpoint system from the last two games has gone thank god and the racing itself feels more fluid and faster. You can still crash in this game but after you crash, you can preform an aftertouch takedown where you steer your wreckage into (hopefully) opponents. The graphics have taken a huge step up from Burnout 2. The cars are lovely to look at and their designs are inspired by real life car models like Ferraris and Porches, the environments are nicely detailed and varies from tropic roads to urban cities and the crashes have improved. The car deforms a lot more in which the car can become crumpled or bonnets and doors can come off. Crashes themselves look fantastic and sometimes can send your car flying 50 feet into the air. Like I said before the soundtrack may not be as good as the previous Burnouts but the audio is fantastic. Crashes sound great with the smashing glass sounding awesome and the cars engines sound simple but great. Besides the races you can participate in, you can also participate in Crash events. Improved from Burnout 2, your goal is to cause as much damage as possible and cause pileups in various road junctions. An addition to the Crash mode is the pickups dotted around the Crash junction. These can range from 2X multipliers that multiply your score at the end of the Crash by 2, Crashbreakers that explodes your car and causes even more damage and Heartbreaker that halves your final score which is not good! There's the regular Face off event to race in which you can win the car you face against. Throughout the main game, you can collect Signature takedowns in which you take down an opponent on a specific track in a specific place, part or vehicle which is a good addition but there's an element of luck needed to get all of them because you may be at the specific place you need to take someone down and an opponent maybe too far or too behind you which can be annoying. You can also get Crash newspapers which are rewarded when you cause lots of damage in a specific Crash junction and Postcards which are rewarded from getting a gold medal in a Time trial event. There is a great range of cars to drive like the Hot Rod or World US Racer (A formula style Car!). There is loads to unlock in this game which will provide you with loads of replay value and it should take some time to get all the Golds in each event of the game. While your racing, there's a great sense of speed and I never experienced any slowdown in the game despite whizzing along at 200 MPH and if you want to win in Burnout 3, you need to take risks by being aggressive towards your opponents and driving through heavy traffic as fast as possible. I do have one complaint though. Cheating AI. Your AI controlled opponents always seem to keep up with you regardless of how fast your going and one Crash can send you back down the field. This is a common criticism of the Burnout games though. Burnout 3: Takedown is a fantastic example on how a arcade racing game should be done and in my opinion, the best Burnout game in the series.â Expand
  10. Aug 12, 2010
    This by far the best Burnout game to ever come out. It has everything you could want: crashes, fast cars, and a large array of track variations. Overall, a very good game!
  11. Aug 11, 2010
    I totally with you! Its good to see that majority people find this game exciting, thrilling, and majorly addictive. Though this game is really huge when u play the career mode. But gives u a bit of a challenge. Involves major crashes, High speeds, and hectic driving. It's a fantastic experience! whoever doesn't like this game. obviously. can't do it.

1. A strong candidate for the coveted Game of the Year award, Burnout 3: Takedown is one of the best arcade racing games to come out in years.
  2. I absolutely hate the music which is a mix of cheap-sounding alternative and punk.
  3. Damn near flawless in almost every way shape and form. Brilliant visuals, ear pleasing audio, highly addictive game play, and enough modes and tracks to keep you busy for months on end.