Cabela's Dangerous Hunts PlayStation 2

8.4

1. CalebE.
    Sep 24, 2004
    This game if fun, don't get me wrong but this game really isn't all that much like hunting at all. And how many of these animals on the game actually charge you everytime they see you.... It could use some work.
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    while it's certainly dated now, i remember having just stopped hunting due to it being a mostly boring activity, and hiding my sneer at my dad when he got me this game for xmas "to get me back into hunting." then i popped it in and realized that this was a pretty competent shooter, tracking was fun, and while it was low budget and a bit campy (irl i just hunt whitetail deer, turkey,while it's certainly dated now, i remember having just stopped hunting due to it being a mostly boring activity, and hiding my sneer at my dad when he got me this game for xmas "to get me back into hunting." then i popped it in and realized that this was a pretty competent shooter, tracking was fun, and while it was low budget and a bit campy (irl i just hunt whitetail deer, turkey, pheasant, and goose, no dangerous animals) i genuinely had a good time with it. the graphics were pretty good for their time, animations on reloads were good and environments were pretty but could get very constrained with "forest" invisible walls and weird "cliff face" narrow valleys to walk through. i still think often of that bear towards the end of the game, you hear it roar and walking through the misty alpine forests it brought me back to my childhood thinking of disney's the fox and the hound. having a big bear in a mostly empty forest brought the same feeling of intrinsic wonder and adventure that i had gotten bored of with real hunting. Expand
  3. May 1, 2014
    this isn't exactly a hunting game, so if your looking for a traditional cabela's hunting game, this isn't what your looking for at all. Its like a survival adventure sort of game. you go around different areas of the world and fend off against that climates most dangerous animals. Its actually a lot of fun. there is some definite problems with the game in terms of story and gameplay, butthis isn't exactly a hunting game, so if your looking for a traditional cabela's hunting game, this isn't what your looking for at all. Its like a survival adventure sort of game. you go around different areas of the world and fend off against that climates most dangerous animals. Its actually a lot of fun. there is some definite problems with the game in terms of story and gameplay, but its good enough for some campy fun. some of the cutscenes and characters have some really illogical events in them that are so bad they are hilarious. like this one part at the beginning of the game, a cougar comes out during a cutscene, and the guy calmly says as the cougar is sitting five feet away from him, " well bud, I'm running a little low on ammo, how bout you take care of him :)" its not a triple A title at all, but its a guilty pleasure game that is admittedly probably my favourite hunting game Expand
  4. Sep 23, 2015
    This game is not a hunting simulation, which is a good thing coz that would be boring. Being attacked by hordes of wild animals sounds like way more fun than walking around in a forest for hours trying to find a deer, which will run away as soon as you come in smelling distance! Unfortunately this game is not as fun at it should have been.

First of all your character has a total lack of

First of all your character has a total lack of stamina. You can only walk like 5 feet before you're out of stamina and start huffing and puffing like an old man who suffers from asthma. This unfortunate handicap seems to be present in all Cabela's hunting games and should be left out in my opinion.

It can also get a bit frustrating if your character gets stuck in the scenery, more than once did i couldn't get passed a bush or dead tree trunk. Also the paths on which you walk can be very narrow, left and right of you there are hills that look like you can get over them (but nope, you can't) and everywhere around the map there are borders of plants and water that you can't cross. You character may be a hunter but he/she can't swim or walk through a small bush.

Luckily there is the Action Zone game mode in which the wild animals will come running at you, so you wont have to walk very far to get into some fierce action. After you kill the required amount of animals a portal will open on a timer to get to the next round. It can get very confusing when you are being attacked from all sides by wild predators, especially if you get low on ammo.

There is also a the usual career mode called Career Hunt and also a Quick Hunt mode in which you can chose a male or female character, a hunting region and hunting season. You have to chose a hunting tag for the animal you want to kill. If you shoot another animal you will be reprimanded.

All in all this game can be pretty fun for a little while, but it could have been so much better! More open areas would be nice and it's a pitty that there was never a good sequel to this game ,eventhough it has so much potential.

1. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    It's very fast paced and probably about as close as a hunting game will ever get to mimicking a typical first-person shooter. [Jan 2004, p.114]
  2. PSM Magazine
    Controls are too sensitive even at the lowest setting, animal AI is set to "charge!" constantly, and collision detection is rugged. [Jan 2004, p.48]
  3. The only danger in this game is that you might get electrocuted while smashing your TV for showing you this ugly, tedious crap. [Jan 2004, p.135]