8.4

1. Mar 27, 2012
    Probably my favorite game of all time. Maybe it's just the nostalgic value, but I am still madly in love with this game. I've memorized all the cutscenes and can recite them by heart (and have been for years). The character development is wonderful, the storyline is great (I loved the fact it showed how the Belmont clan began), the soundtrack is SPECTACULAR, and the gameplay was incrediblyProbably my favorite game of all time. Maybe it's just the nostalgic value, but I am still madly in love with this game. I've memorized all the cutscenes and can recite them by heart (and have been for years). The character development is wonderful, the storyline is great (I loved the fact it showed how the Belmont clan began), the soundtrack is SPECTACULAR, and the gameplay was incredibly addicting. I love playing as both Leon and Joachim, but the Pumpkin was incredibly silly and fun. It was the first attempt at a 3D Castlvania game since Castlevania 64 (another great one) and Konami did not fail to deliver a great game. The Forgotten One is the most grotesque and most difficult boss in the game, but the black orb received after beating it is quite worth it in my opinion. It's an amazing game that I reccommend to everyone. Expand
  2. anthonyp
    Jan 5, 2007
    scared off by that everquest in champions of norrath's subtitle don't be. this is no massively mulitplayer online rpg. it is however one massive multiplayer online(or offline!) rpg.
  3. MikeA.
    Oct 22, 2003
    It looks just like a Devil May Cry Remake. THe camera is crap, and game play is button mashing. Not as good as I thought it was going to be.. a bit disappointed.
  4. LINKINPARKISAJOKE
    Apr 4, 2004
    This is a decent game. Uberly better then the N64 3D Castlevanias. Its almost perfect, but I marked it down for the following reasons: 1. The hallways and rooms do feel a bit repetitive and it seems Konami did this to make it seem like you exploring a castle thats bigger then what it really is. Sounds good, but after a awhile with the same rooms that look no different from the last 100, This is a decent game. Uberly better then the N64 3D Castlevanias. Its almost perfect, but I marked it down for the following reasons: 1. The hallways and rooms do feel a bit repetitive and it seems Konami did this to make it seem like you exploring a castle thats bigger then what it really is. Sounds good, but after a awhile with the same rooms that look no different from the last 100, its just blah. 2. You know what this one is, were all still waiting for that Symphony of the Night 3D Version. This game proves that they can take the original formula of the first Castlevanias, and transform the experience into a new dimension. It will be a day to remember, when they do this witih Symphony of the Night. Great game. Expand
  5. FarrellV.
    Nov 3, 2003
    In somewhat like DMC but extremely short but if you go 4 100% you will get the best out of it.
  6. DustinW.
    Nov 7, 2003
    This is one of the best games that has come out recently. It has fairly good graphics, and a good story. It also has the same feel as all the other castlevania games we have come to love.
  7. JKitchens
    Oct 30, 2003
    Improves on what DMC started and refines what was so great about Symphony of the Night. Touch nuts!
  8. Miltank
    Nov 20, 2003
    JI Fan needs to shut-up. This game is the best by far and the best Castlevania out there today. Leon and Joachim AND Mathias and Walter are hot. So Thank you Konami for the pleasure of having eye candy as we play this great game.
  9. NedF.
    Oct 22, 2003
    Good old castlevania...NOT. More like devil may cry. Still a good game.
  10. ZENA.
    Dec 5, 2003
    This game is phat ass hell monsters are crazy and Leon Bellmont the shit with that whip POW POW WHOOSH!!!
  11. DavidP.
    Oct 27, 2003
    The game is fun i love all the castle vania games. I wanted it to have more game play becasuse its sort but this game at lest is better then the N64 castlevania and i also wished they tried to fix what ever problems the castlevania for dream cast had to not come out but iam happy they pulled it off on PS2 so good work Konami.
  12. J.O.
    Oct 28, 2003
    I've followed Castlevania since its debut. I must say, several critics have been unfairly harsh in rating this game below a 9. I rate this game a perfect 10 because it gives the player exactly what all Castlevania fans want and then some. The creativity and gameplay alone are reasons to play this game over and over again. The graphics are rich and textured. Don't listen to me or I've followed Castlevania since its debut. I must say, several critics have been unfairly harsh in rating this game below a 9. I rate this game a perfect 10 because it gives the player exactly what all Castlevania fans want and then some. The creativity and gameplay alone are reasons to play this game over and over again. The graphics are rich and textured. Don't listen to me or the critics, if you like Castlevania, you will love this game. Expand
  13. JIFAN
    Nov 13, 2003
    Something wrong with this game, it's like the monsters ( even items) you destoried previously, will come alive again and again and again....... this is a stupid design, I mean, who would like to waste time beating the same thing hundred times?
  14. JuanC.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Castlevania is still one of the most defining games around.
  15. JerradH.
    Oct 23, 2003
    You know, its kind of unfair to call this a Devil May Cry clone, since DMC borrowed from the Castlevania series in various ways (even the N64 games). You can't call the source material's version a clone when another game borrowed from it in the first place. Kind of like calling the bullet time effect in The Matrix a rip-off of the bullet time effect in Max Payne. :p At any rate, You know, its kind of unfair to call this a Devil May Cry clone, since DMC borrowed from the Castlevania series in various ways (even the N64 games). You can't call the source material's version a clone when another game borrowed from it in the first place. Kind of like calling the bullet time effect in The Matrix a rip-off of the bullet time effect in Max Payne. :p At any rate, its a very fun and solid game, if not a bit on the short side (seems to be happening a lot these days). Expand
  16. HectorH.
    Oct 26, 2003
    It's Castlevania 'nuff said.
  17. CurtisM.
    Oct 26, 2003
    This game is still good to me...even though it is similar to devil may cry, its still in my blood to be a castlevania fan.
  18. 3Dguru
    Oct 27, 2003
    Its a very good in 3d depth environment. I never seen any PS2 title as super solid smooth as CASTLEvania before. Hot gaming by the japan developer. consider as must buy title for who loved to play combat game.
  19. MathewG.
    Oct 29, 2003
    It would get a 10 but its looks a great rip-off of devil may cry.
  20. FernandoC.
    Jan 26, 2004
    Buen juego, no es aburrido... es dificil en algunas partes, facil en otras... lastima que la camara no pueda moverse a discresion del jugador como principe de persia por ejemplo. Buen juego.
  21. LINKINPARK
    Mar 12, 2004
    It's just the best game ever.
  22. JaysonC.
    Jun 18, 2004
    This game rocked. It was a little short though and it seemed that it was a skelatal version of what some Castlevania games are, but it was an awsome game.
  23. DarkH.
    May 12, 2005
    Excellent Music, Excellent Characters, Excellent Castle, Excellent Whip, Excellent Castlevania.
  24. BillB.
    Nov 17, 2003
    This game is best castlevania ever.
  25. NinjaMafia
    Nov 17, 2003
    Wow, what can I say but, wow. I thouight it could never be done, but here it is, a 3D Castlevania that is actually good. Let me just clear a few things up for some people here okay? First off, yes I am taking points away from this game for screwing up the Castlevania timeline to the extreme. If you are a Castlevania Fan you would know that uhhh... forget her name, Sonya or something, was Wow, what can I say but, wow. I thouight it could never be done, but here it is, a 3D Castlevania that is actually good. Let me just clear a few things up for some people here okay? First off, yes I am taking points away from this game for screwing up the Castlevania timeline to the extreme. If you are a Castlevania Fan you would know that uhhh... forget her name, Sonya or something, was the first Belmont to hunt down Dracula. She then actually married a vampire and had children.. If you notice, the Belmonts start to get weaker as the games start to get farther away from the original, that is because their vampiric blood is starting to become diluted. Okay now on to the review. LOI lets you control Leon Belmont, after Dracula because Dracula captured his Fiance. Not the most original story ever, but hey it gets teh job done. The sound in this game is top notch, everything from the music to the effect you get when whacking a skeleton with your whip is astounding. However, I kind of do have mixed feelings onm the voice acting. It wasn't horrible but it just wasn't that great either. The graphics in this game are okay, nothing spectacular or anything, just enough to get the job done. This game really shines when you get into the gaeplay. The gameplay is really awesome, something I haven't seen done in an action game in months, you can actually pull off combos with some ease. The gameplay will ultimately have people calling this game a DMC rip-off,but I think they just don't understand very well. DMC borrowed half of its elements from Castlevania to begin with. If there was no DMC do you think this game would have turned out any differently? No becasueall DMC was was a 3D Castlevania. So if Castlevania becomes 3D it shouldn't really be compared to something that was based of its 2D form. Are you tired of hearing me rant about how I hate comparisions with everything to DMC? Good, because I'm done now. This game also packs a few different difficulties. That is a really good thing because, to often today, games are getting lazy and give you one dificult that is too easy. LOI gives you as crazy mode that really tests your skill. Overall, Castlevania LOI is one of the best transitions from 2D to 3D I have ever seen. I'm not sure if I could ever rate this game a ten but it comes really close to becoming one. If they only kept in the leveling aspect that made SotN so great than maybe this game could be nominated for game of the year. They should have also done someting with the secondary items to make them a bit more useful. Also, I would have liked to see alot more weapons that you could have. Overall, this game really isn't dampered much by those aspects that it is missing, so if you loved any other Castlevania (except for that god awful 64 one) then you will most likely love LOI Expand
  26. EduardoR.
    Nov 24, 2003
    This is an excellent game, great game play, cool music, I love it.
  27. JimmyW.
    Nov 24, 2003
    The game is a lot like devil may cry but the fact that the monsters come back is good because if you complete the game you can just go back and fight for fun and if you complete the game you can play as Joachim the vampire with the five swords swinging around him I think the over all game is very good best castlevania yet.
  28. AJ
    Oct 22, 2003
    This game is an orgasm with a controller(including a vibration). It has the handling of devil may cry, the playability of symphony of the night, and it's as pretty as an FF game. Note: Castlevania is known to have the best soundtracks ever... this one is by far the best.
  29. MattM.
    Oct 23, 2003
    It's beautiful.
  30. JayG.
    Oct 27, 2003
    I was doubtful that this game would be any good with it being in 3D. Lament is no Symphony of the Night... but one of the best 3D games I've ever played. The only thing I dislike is that it's a Devil May Cry rip off... but DMC kicks ass and this game is 10 times better than that.

#36 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#37 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. This game has something that very few games manage to capture; it is just pure fun. Balancing the challenge of the game with a good mix of enemies, bosses, and storyline, it simply works.
  2. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    Proof that a Castlevania game can be done in 3D while retaining the essence of the series with great music and gameplay, and a stylized look. There's still room for improvement, but it's a great new beginning. [Nov 2003, p.140]
    Seeing Konami’s premier Horror franchise rendered in such bland brushstrokes leaves a sour taste in the mouth, which is intensified by the fact that the game engine and combat mechanics are so well-tuned.