8.3

1. RobL.
    Jan 12, 2005
    I like this game - being able to play up to 4 players is a big +. I wish more RPG games allowed more than one player. There are bugs, which does lower my score. One is that if you are at your weight limit, out of arrows or out of mana, it can take 15-30 seconds until your character tells you this. With 3 players, you can't rotate the camera view. There are plot holes, where you have I like this game - being able to play up to 4 players is a big +. I wish more RPG games allowed more than one player. There are bugs, which does lower my score. One is that if you are at your weight limit, out of arrows or out of mana, it can take 15-30 seconds until your character tells you this. With 3 players, you can't rotate the camera view. There are plot holes, where you have to move on to a new area without a being given a quest. The game was released without much testing. Still, I like it. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    This was the game that made me realize how saturated the hack-n-slash genre was at the time. With Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 being released just a few weeks before, this felt more like a hack-n-slash fix that took advantage of the popularity of the genre. With that said, it's still pretty good. A few bugs, but none that ruined the game for me.

I did feel the game lacked a well

I did feel the game lacked a well thought out narrative, because to be honest it felt pretty generic and really did not leave much of an impression. Visually it impressive and gameplay is as fun as any other hack-n-slash game.

Overall:
    Champions of Norrath isn't the best game of it's genre, in fact it's pretty standard and rather generic. But it is allot of fun and (aside from the bugs) a technical marvel (of the time.)
  3. MichaelS.
    Mar 30, 2004
    I am surprised that so few reviewers have brought up the glitches that can actually stop this game cold. How can that stuff happen in this day and age. Trust me - it had nothing to do with my PS2. The bugs are in the game. The graphics are nice, but the game isn't really even that fun until you play it the second time at level 20+. Also, the monster item drops are pathetic - I I am surprised that so few reviewers have brought up the glitches that can actually stop this game cold. How can that stuff happen in this day and age. Trust me - it had nothing to do with my PS2. The bugs are in the game. The graphics are nice, but the game isn't really even that fun until you play it the second time at level 20+. Also, the monster item drops are pathetic - I don't think I have used a single item on my character since I have played it! Sell, sell, sell - then store up a million gold coins to buy something at a store that is only marginally better. The graphics are nice (when they work!) and the camera is good, too. Not even close to Diablo II, though is sure does try. A game for the pure hack n slashers only. RPGers - you have been warned. Expand

#39 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2004
#25 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2004

1. A lot of time and effort was put into making sure that a good strong continuous game was played. The player does not feel disjointed by going into a new zone or another act. It is all tied in very well.
  2. Official U.S. Playstation Magazine
    Though not the never-ending chain of quests found in a "real" EverQuest game, Champions certainly stands as the longest, deepest title in the "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance' vein yet seen on a console. [Mar 2004, p.102]
    Ah, multiplayer, how I love thee. Multiplayer in Champions of Norrath is incredible.