Cold Fear PlayStation 2

• Also On: PC
7.7

1. MikailaK.
    Apr 17, 2005
    I'm a big survival horror fan, so I had to rent this. And I'm glad I did, because my game lasted about seven hours (which was kind of weird, since it seemed so much longer what with all the minutes I wasted running to the wrong corners of the ships/s). The gameplay is a kind of jarring mix between old-school and new-school Resident Evil, and I really wished they had stuck with I'm a big survival horror fan, so I had to rent this. And I'm glad I did, because my game lasted about seven hours (which was kind of weird, since it seemed so much longer what with all the minutes I wasted running to the wrong corners of the ships/s). The gameplay is a kind of jarring mix between old-school and new-school Resident Evil, and I really wished they had stuck with the latter. The graphics are great, but overall the game is painfully average; almost half the game consists of blindly fumbling around because there is _no map_ (and my rental box did not contain the manual). I liked that the zombies not the shuffling kind from the old REs, but there seems to be some odd disparity with the targeting system where I shot an Exocel's head only for it to connect several inches down (and this wasn't just because of the ship's rocking). Also, Tom talks too much--okay, the damn door's locked, but do you have to swear incessantly about it? I felt like pressing the "mute" button at times, even though I eventually grew to find Tom's whining funny. Although the combat is definitely more fun than the old Resident Evils, it becomes kind of repetitive, and the joy of squishing your foes' heads underfoot wears off after the first half-hour or so. So if you enjoy cheap scares followed by thirty minutes of lethargy-inducing key-searching (roughly on par with the old REs), then this game is worth a rental. It's so darned short that you can finish it in one night, and there's barely any replay value. Like I said, painfully average. Expand
  2. Dec 21, 2010
    Pretty entertaining third person survival horror in the style of Resident Evil. A bit short, sluggish, and it's easy to get lost but investigating the narrow corridors and steep staircases of a foreboding whaling ship in the middle of a fierce winter storm packs plenty of atmosphere. Besides, headshotting zombies with a pump-action shotgun never gets old :)

1. Edge Magazine
    Taken in isolation, there’s no denying Cold Fear’s panache - RenderWare has rarely been used to such strong visual effect - and there is a fair helping of survival horror entertainment to be had here, it’s just that you have to dig through several layers of frustration to get at it. [Apr 2005, p.96]
  2. There are some good ideas here, but the game is more frustrating than frightening.
  3. I enjoyed Cold Fear for what it was – an average thriller with some above average story-telling and terrific use of atmosphere.