• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2003
9.0

1. Nov 20, 2010
    The joy of adventure, inventing, and saving the world are every kid's dream, by playing Dark Cloud 2, it felt as if those dreams came true for me. I love Dark Cloud 2's storyline and originality, not to mention the believable graphics and extras, no other game contains such a broad scope of things to do. Many games either focus on the battles or focus on the skill. Dark Cloud 2 containsThe joy of adventure, inventing, and saving the world are every kid's dream, by playing Dark Cloud 2, it felt as if those dreams came true for me. I love Dark Cloud 2's storyline and originality, not to mention the believable graphics and extras, no other game contains such a broad scope of things to do. Many games either focus on the battles or focus on the skill. Dark Cloud 2 contains a mixture of battles and skills and somehow it intertwines everything to the main plot of the story in a very easy to understand way. I was very sad when the game ended but was overjoyed to see that there was a "epilogue" chapter for Dark Cloud 1 fans =P I'm worried about Dark Cloud 3 though, it may not be able to pass up its predescessor since Dark Cloud 2 is just so good, especially after this long way all of us have become way too anxious. Nevertheless, this game is for anyone who loves adventure and the feel of actually being in the story! Expand
  2. Sep 11, 2013
    An almost flawless game. Graphic are gorgeous, story is engaging and deep, main characters are well developed and very likable. Gameplay is rich and varied.

The pacing can get a little slow at some points and the levels suffer from similar repetitiveness that the first game had. But, while these flaws are noticable they are also easily overlooked as there is enough variety in the level designs and side activities to keep you distracted.

Overall:
    Dark Cloud 2 (or Dark Chronicle) is perhaps one of my favorite PS2 games. It has everything I want in a game, if not more. For me this is a classic that I can replay over and over and every moment is a joy.
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    Dark Cloud 2 has an amazing world you can lose your self in and there's just so much to do you'll never get board.
    the RPG mechanics are a little shallow and the UI is a little tricky to navigate near end game when you have hundreds of items, other than that i love this game
  4. JorgeA.
    Mar 8, 2003
    I don't know how they are going to make Dark Cloud 3. How do you improve on a perfect game.
  5. Nov 20, 2012
    The only drawback to this game is the voice acting, but that isn't too important. Everything else about the game is unique and refreshing and enjoyable.
  6. Mar 26, 2014
    I love cel-shaded Level 5 RPG games. When I play one it feels like every day is my birthday. They're like Skittles candy. This game is a birthday cake, an infinite supply of salty tears to oceans everywhere in the universe. You better believe extraterrestrials are playing this, for they made this game.
  7. Apr 17, 2014
    My real score back then would be a 8-9/10, but looking back I realized how utterly nostalgic I was for this game. It is as if there was endless content from building, dungeon crawling, golf, fishing, contests, customization, medals and more. The game is the most perfect RPG on the ps2 for me. The graphics were gorgeous and it had a great soundtrack that, in itself, sounds nostalgic. AfterMy real score back then would be a 8-9/10, but looking back I realized how utterly nostalgic I was for this game. It is as if there was endless content from building, dungeon crawling, golf, fishing, contests, customization, medals and more. The game is the most perfect RPG on the ps2 for me. The graphics were gorgeous and it had a great soundtrack that, in itself, sounds nostalgic. After downloading the ISO, I was able to finally finish the game that I was so determined to finish before my console broke before the very last boss in zelmite mines. Expand
  8. BillWyclef
    Feb 19, 2003
    Is It any Good? Is That What You are asking me? Well I never played it. But It's The Best Game I've Never Played. It's So........I Have'nt played it yet. But I'm Sure It's cool. Has Anyone ever played Dark Rain Cloud 18? That game is so...... Well I Think......... I Think.......... Yeah It's Cool. Except the part where you have to die eleventy timesIs It any Good? Is That What You are asking me? Well I never played it. But It's The Best Game I've Never Played. It's So........I Have'nt played it yet. But I'm Sure It's cool. Has Anyone ever played Dark Rain Cloud 18? That game is so...... Well I Think......... I Think.......... Yeah It's Cool. Except the part where you have to die eleventy times before you slay the Dragoonski's Coffin's Breathing Dragons. That Part Is So Confoosing. You Have To Die? Yeah. Ciao Expand
  9. GaryH.
    Mar 26, 2005
    I'm really surprised this game always rates so highly. It consists of go to a dungeon, open a chest kill a monster, open a chest, kill more monsters, go to a forest, open even more chests, kill even more monsters. I love RPG's but this is the most mindless one I've come across.
  10. CharlynD.
    Apr 12, 2003
    The game itself is great but they are yet to work out the bugs. When I found out that the game would not let you do anthing that would stop you from moving froward I keep saving on the same spot. Then when I got to the boss on chapter 7 and killed him the game froze. I called for help but was informed that it was a randmon game error and that because I was not able to go back to the last The game itself is great but they are yet to work out the bugs. When I found out that the game would not let you do anthing that would stop you from moving froward I keep saving on the same spot. Then when I got to the boss on chapter 7 and killed him the game froze. I called for help but was informed that it was a randmon game error and that because I was not able to go back to the last chapter and play it over my only choice was to start over. That was 80 hours of play I just can't face so far. I was also told that many people are haveing this problem on chapter one and two so if you play save each chapter in a new spot. Expand
    Oct 27, 2005
    This game is extermely repetitive i can't figure out why it is being scored so high. the story is lame the characters are lamel, and the weapon system is lame. every floor of every dungeon looks exactly the same and when you leave a floor and come back the layout is different wtf!!!!! the only good thing about this game is music which like the gameplay is very repetitive.
  12. JakeS.
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm not going to lie and say I've played this game a lot, but I've played it for a number of hours and after reading the reviews up here, I'm pretty disgusted. I don't understand why this game is so highly rated; the battle system is just so bad. Everything about it is a chore and feels redundant and uninspired from the getgo. I'm not going to give it a 1 and I'm not going to lie and say I've played this game a lot, but I've played it for a number of hours and after reading the reviews up here, I'm pretty disgusted. I don't understand why this game is so highly rated; the battle system is just so bad. Everything about it is a chore and feels redundant and uninspired from the getgo. I'm not going to give it a 1 and say it's the worst game, but best on the ps2?! Not even close! If I was on the development team, I would have been screaming because this game has potential, but there are several major aspects that I absolutely hate. FFX and XII destroy this game on so many levels, and I could think of quite a few improvements for those two. I love RPGs, but I definitely do not love Dark Cloud 2. Expand
  13. MikeW.
    Mar 3, 2003
    Dark Cloud 2 offers superb graphics and highly addictive game play. It is definately one of the best RPG's I've ever had the joy of playing. I've already spent 70 hours on this game and I hope to spend 70 more.
  14. EDWARDT.
    Apr 1, 2003
    Not enough sleep, need sleep, but need dark cloud more.
  15. LukeT.
    Feb 23, 2003
    This is the best game in the world.
  16. MikeS.
    Mar 12, 2003
    It tops dc1, that is impressive.
  17. PaulM.
  19. JoeSombody
    IT WAS GREEEEAAAAATTTT!!!!
  20. ChaseR.
    Mar 10, 2003
    Graphics, ideas, battling, town and weapon creation, etc. This game has everything you would want from a RPG. The Zelda of the PS2.
  21. Trance
    Mar 23, 2003
    This game will definatly beat out any FF game. Finally the downfall of Square... you don't know how long I've been waiting.
  22. JasonJ.
    Mar 7, 2003
    Even though the characters look a little flat what can you say for one of the only RPG's that the characters acually have voices instead of those stupid ballons only FFX was better than Dark Cloud 2.
  23. DGamer
    Apr 7, 2003
    The story drags the score down on this one a bit. They didn't present the resolution very well. If you haven't beaten it yet, then no spoilers here. All I shall say is the ending was not what I expected and left me with a "Flat game" feeling.
  24. EricM.
    Jul 13, 2003
    I give this game a 10, I think it rivals the Final Fantasy games, and that Square could learn a thing or two from Level 5. Now... if the creativity of Dark Cloud Saga could unite with the very being that is Final Fantasy... well, I'll leave that to your minds.
  25. LeeM.
    Mar 30, 2006
    Anyone who doesnt like this game has either 1.Not even played it 2.Played it for like 2 minutes 3.Not even tried to like it and outlined all its bad points. Yes i am talking about you mr Anonymus first reviewer! This game is beautiful. I liked the opening credits so much I got the theme on MP3. The story really kept me going. Yeah I know it can be repetitive, but not too often, and the Anyone who doesnt like this game has either 1.Not even played it 2.Played it for like 2 minutes 3.Not even tried to like it and outlined all its bad points. Yes i am talking about you mr Anonymus first reviewer! This game is beautiful. I liked the opening credits so much I got the theme on MP3. The story really kept me going. Yeah I know it can be repetitive, but not too often, and the story makes you want to defeat those dungeons. You could even do a dungeon once in a while, and wander off-theres often something else to do. This is the best RPG on the PS2. Without a doubt. Now to go and listen to "Time is Changing" again. Expand
  26. DanielV.
    Aug 12, 2006
    I think this game was pretty darn good. It had amazing visuals, the charcters you meet were all very intersting, and the invention system in the game was really fun to play with. it could be kinda repetitive at points, but you can easily forgive it for the rich story offered. so yea pick it up and enjoy.
  27. ShawnG.
    Oct 13, 2003
    I really like this game: 1 because its hard to do certian stuff 2 The graphics rock 3 during movies i dont have to read what they are saying.
  28. AaronZ.
    Feb 22, 2003
    It isn't perfect, but it improves upon everything from the first game. Including the repetivness of the dungeon crawling, thanks to a great variety of randomized layouts for each floor.
  29. ShawnR.
    Mar 10, 2003
    One of the best games i ever played!!!!!!!!!!!!
  30. KevinE.
    Mar 12, 2003
    best game ,the best weapons, plot, graphics, and town creation. and the fact of going to the future is great.
  31. PatrickK.
    Mar 12, 2003
    I spent hours playing this game. I am now a pro at it. The georama system is perfect. I also loved the weapons. # 2 on my top 10 list. (and i'm very picky!)
  32. ChrisS.
    Mar 17, 2003
    Greatest game of all RPG's/Platforms. Really brings out the full potential of Dark Cloud 1. Less complicated dialog and amazing voice acting. almost every dialog scene has grat voice acting. I am very impressed with Level 5 studios, great job.
  33. BitCloud
    Mar 17, 2003
    I mean DAAAAMN! This is an AMAZING game that just won't let you go! It'll keep you glued to the tv screen for a looooooong long time. Long long time. It's supposed to be 100 hours long, but maybe it's longer, for sure:) The only other game that will beat this is, of course, Final Fantasy X2! Yeah! Can't wait for FFX2!
  34. DavidS.
    Mar 18, 2003
    I have been playing the game for about 11 hours and i have to admit is a very thought out and strategenic game.
  35. MikeD.
    Mar 21, 2003
    I've got to say it but if u have played dark cloud 1 and then jump to dark cloud 2 you get a great shock dark cloud 2 is just the best rpg ever made. so i gave it 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10.
  36. TiffanyT.
    Mar 22, 2003
    I love this game soo much it has better graphics than the first game and the story line is great i can relate to the characters also.
  37. DavidA.
    Mar 23, 2003
    This is so much better than the first game. The story line is great. And the graphics, Omigosh. Level 5 makes great games.
  38. MichaelS.
    Mar 7, 2003
    It's officially the greatest game ever!!!!!
  39. JerradH.
    Apr 28, 2003
    My god, this game is absolutely fabulous. Very rarely do I become so engrossed in a game that I want to devote the rest of my life to playing it. Virtually every element of the gameplay is perfect, making it an extremely fun and addicting experience. There hasn't been a game that has done this to me in close to 3 and a half years. Those of you who played Dark Cloud 1 and didn't My god, this game is absolutely fabulous. Very rarely do I become so engrossed in a game that I want to devote the rest of my life to playing it. Virtually every element of the gameplay is perfect, making it an extremely fun and addicting experience. There hasn't been a game that has done this to me in close to 3 and a half years. Those of you who played Dark Cloud 1 and didn't care for it too much (which I didn't, thanks to far too many frustrating, repetitive, and generally unfair elements), I urge to forget that game ever happened and buy this one. Dark Cloud 2 is a million times better than the first. Expand
  40. EDWARDTIVRUSKY
    Apr 3, 2003
    MUST COOLEST GAME I EVER SEEN!!!!
    GRAPHICS-AWSOME
    GAMEPLAY-AWSOME STORYLINE-AWSOME EVRYTHING AWSOME!!!! AMAZING HOW FAR WE WENT WITH GAMES!!!!!! ME AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT FF!! BIT CLOUD,BUT CODY M> IS MOST DEFENETLY RIGHT!!! AND IF ANY LEVEL 5 PROGRAMERS LOOKING AT THIS!!!! KEEP UP THE AWSOME JOB!!!! SIGHNING OFF... RADICAL EDWARD ^ ^ !!!
    MUST COOLEST GAME I EVER SEEN!!!!
    GRAPHICS-AWSOME
    GAMEPLAY-AWSOME
    STORYLINE-AWSOME
    EVRYTHING AWSOME!!!!
    AMAZING HOW FAR WE WENT WITH GAMES!!!!!!
    ME AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT FF!! BIT CLOUD,BUT CODY M> IS MOST DEFENETLY RIGHT!!!
    AND IF ANY LEVEL 5 PROGRAMERS LOOKING AT THIS!!!!
    KEEP UP THE AWSOME JOB!!!!
    SIGHNING OFF...
    Jul 21, 2003
    It's a great game.
  43. Darkcloud2.5
    Aug 3, 2003
    This game is an altogether awsome game. It has action, custumization, and a bunch of possible weapons and construction options.
  44. RyanD.
    Aug 5, 2003
    This game is the best I've ever played I played dark cloud 1 but it didn't stand a chance against the storyline, graphics, extras, features and gameplay of dark cloud 2 keep it up level 5.
  45. ChrisM.
    Aug 6, 2003
    Davie Crew [--o--o--]
  46. JormaO.
    Sep 16, 2003
    A Brilliant game!
  47. LoganD.
    Apr 29, 2005
    This game is so fun on so many levels, it has strategy, roleplaying, adventure, puzzle, as well as quests.
  48. DillonDabunny
    Aug 23, 2009
    Dark could 2 though its known as Dark Chronicles over here in Europe.

I see some people havent rated this game well at all, maybe they didnt complete it. I cant tell you what my score would of been an hour in, or maybe five ours in. But I probably put over 50 hours in to this game, and hands down its the best RPG I have ever played. Dont get me wrong FFVII -FFXII are incredible games,
    Dark could 2 though its known as Dark Chronicles over here in Europe.

Dont get me wrong FFVII -FFXII are incredible games, breath of fire, fallout, Dragon Quest,... persona.. all these games are so amazing. but DC2 touched me in the same was that Ico did. and for that reason alone a perfect score is the least I can give it.
    There may of been faults with the fighting system when I first played it, but after the story grabs you ...but then after youre sucked in nothing else matters. story, gameplay, playability, graphics.. all there.
    Read the reviews from the industry they dont lie, this really is one hell of a game.

I just hope DC3 lives up to expectation.
  49. MicahC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    MAN! How hard does this game wanna be?! If u like Frekin' dungeons where u die every frekin' 5 minutes, get this frustrating game. So to sum up, I liked it, it was just real hard.
  50. B.J.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Holy Crap.. need i say more...
  51. KillerToastGuyChris
    Nov 29, 2003
    Dark Cloud 2 by far the best game ever, i thought the first one was killer, but this one is 10 times better, what more could you ask for?
  52. ChrisB.
    Mar 12, 2003
    Dark Cloud 2 is much better than Dark Cloud and i definitely give it a 10.
  53. JoeP.
    Mar 16, 2003
    This is a very great rpg, totally addictive. The graphics are amazing and this game is totally customizable.
  54. Niklas
    Mar 19, 2003
    This is better than Final fantasy x. Best RPG ever made!
  55. Chikara
    Mar 19, 2003
    Actually 9.9 becuz the only games that can score a 10 on me is FFX ...then Kingdom Hearts...then last of all Parasite eve.
  56. CodyM.
    Mar 23, 2003
    When I bought the first Dark Cloud game, I didn't know what I was getting into. The game took all of my time over the first weekend I owned it. It could best be described as a combo between Sim City/any Final Fantasy game/any Zelda games (except for that absolute POS they call "Wind Waker). After playing the game for a few months, I took a break from it, only to read online about When I bought the first Dark Cloud game, I didn't know what I was getting into. The game took all of my time over the first weekend I owned it. It could best be described as a combo between Sim City/any Final Fantasy game/any Zelda games (except for that absolute POS they call "Wind Waker). After playing the game for a few months, I took a break from it, only to read online about "Dark Chronicles", the Japan name of "Dark Cloud 2". When I found out it was coming to America, I pulled out "Dark Cloud" and managed to defeat the Dark Genie. 2 days later (3-23-03), I bought "Dark Cloud 2" and it puts its predecessor to shame. The game play makes itself known within the first few moments of the game, with a better fighting system. Although it does take a long time until you do get to use the Georama, it's more than well worth it. The fact that you must build everything from scratch adds that bit of challenge that the first game lacked. Unlike the fact it takes the whole "Dark Cloud" game to really make any impact on the past/present/future, "Dark Cloud 2" allows you to travel back and forth, seeing your results in action. I think that the Dark Cloud saga could take its place among the RPG greats such as Zelda and Final Fantasy, or may quite well reinnovate the RPG game systems. Expand
  57. LeifE.
    May 26, 2003
    Dude, this game rocks. I'm only on the 2nd world and it is my favorite game of all time. I really reccommend this game to anyone.
  58. DannyR.
    Sep 29, 2003
    This game is incredible!!!Best game of the century!!! The only problem is that after you beat the whole game, you wont be able to go to the future anymore. But overall this game is magnificant.
  59. BriS.
    Jan 12, 2005
    It's fun still have not beat it but i got it 05 so it is a graet game along with disgaea hour of darkness.
  60. AveryA.
    Jan 31, 2005
    This game is the best THE FREAKIN BEST, ffx sucks compared to this game it badly sucks and i love ffx just not compred to this game.
  61. NightraiderofDeath
    Sep 16, 2006
    This has got to be one of the best RPGs on the PS2. However, like all RPGs, it gets very repetitive with its dungeons and monster battles. The first time you go through a dungeon it's plenty of fun, but 10? 20? I got tired of it eventually. Luckily, the rest of the games features help distract from this one downside.
  62. Jun 30, 2012
    Dark Chronicle is an RPG adventure in its own class. The surroundings are great, both the music and the visuals. They managed to create a varied, interesting and immersive world on the PS2 hardware with something that can almost be considered revolutionary graphics back in 02. The way game just grabs hold of you and keeps you playing is great.

This game joined by other great PS2

This game joined by other great PS2 adventures makes the PS2 my favorite home console to this date.
  63. Dec 17, 2014
    If there's anything I hate more is when people always tell me that the greatest JRPGs are one of those overrated franchises (I won't say which ones), when in fact they've never really played a lost gem like this before. If there's anything you should play in this genre it's definitely this, because this game has one of the best, if not the best, replay value in any games of this genre IIf there's anything I hate more is when people always tell me that the greatest JRPGs are one of those overrated franchises (I won't say which ones), when in fact they've never really played a lost gem like this before. If there's anything you should play in this genre it's definitely this, because this game has one of the best, if not the best, replay value in any games of this genre I have ever played. So if you haven't played this game yet, please do, and please tell Level-5 to make a sequel of it already. Expand
  64. Sep 12, 2014
    I love this game :D It´s so beautiful. The Cel-shading, the Battlesystem, the Feeling and last but not least the awesome Soundtrack made it to the best game ever made.

1. The complete package for RPG enthusiasts. The exhilarating heights of the story are equaled by great gameplay depth. [Mar 2003, p.80]
  2. When the game eventually gets going, it's almost as much fun as it's predecessor. It's just that it takes several hours to kick off. Dark Cloud 2 still has merit, but it's simply not as enjoyable as the first game. [May 2003, p.95]
  3. A bitch of a game to review. But for the same reasons it's a joy of a game to play. There's just so much to it. It's a town-builder, a compelling dungeon-crawler, a fishing game, a golf game and, in short, a great RPG.