• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: May 28, 2001
8.2

1. May 3, 2011
    This is my favorite game of all time. I got back when i was a kid during the early 2000s. I still play it quite frequently to this day. This is one of the only games I've done that with! The plot, is great...but it only gets very interesting near the end. The combat isn't very complex but i find it enjoyable. The music can be great, but some songs are way too overused. The game has flaws,This is my favorite game of all time. I got back when i was a kid during the early 2000s. I still play it quite frequently to this day. This is one of the only games I've done that with! The plot, is great...but it only gets very interesting near the end. The combat isn't very complex but i find it enjoyable. The music can be great, but some songs are way too overused. The game has flaws, but it's still amazing. Expand
  2. Jul 21, 2011
    More repetitive than watching the tour de France. Serious collision detection issues, boring enemies, cheap attacks, no ability to buy items until portions of the village have been set down, no interesting characters, no continuity, poor camera, useless item breaking system, tedious town re-building, and many other things. You know that feeling when you've just leveled up that bad-assMore repetitive than watching the tour de France. Serious collision detection issues, boring enemies, cheap attacks, no ability to buy items until portions of the village have been set down, no interesting characters, no continuity, poor camera, useless item breaking system, tedious town re-building, and many other things. You know that feeling when you've just leveled up that bad-ass sword forever and it suddenly breaks in combat? That is essentially what describes the reaction I have to most of this game. Its bland, the environments are repetitive, the combat is boring and it uses those methods to elongate a game that has essentially no story line. I thought things would change up when I was about half-way though the game- but they stayed exactly the same. Although the one positive thing that happened- they made a sequel that fixed a lot of these problems that I still haven't picked up, but I will. Since what I liked in this game I did actually like a lot- its just disappointing that they made so many mistakes the first time. Expand
  3. Sep 26, 2012
    This game at first felt like a blatant Zelda ripoff, then I picked it up again a couple years later to try it out again. I thought I might have judged it too quickly.
    Nope. This game is just not that fun. What is the point of having my weapons break every five minutes if the game doesn't give me the availability of the repair powder? You have to find the shop in the dungeons before you can buy anything, which means no help in getting healing and repair supplies. The game is also very tedious. Why did Sony think it was a good idea to have randomly generated dungeons? Overall, very monotonous, story doesn't make much sense to me, gameplay is aggravating and the controls are awkward.
  4. Nov 2, 2012
    Dark Cloud is an astonishing and breathtaking game, it was when it released in 2001, and it still holds up today in 2012. It would be an unorganized mess if written in just one paragraph, so this will be broken into separate points.
    -Plot
    -Plot
    Dark Cloud has a surprisingly fascinating story, even though it may seem simple and childish at face value. Along the way, you are introduced to some colorful characters that you must interact with and learn some of their story to satisfy their needs. The game, however, can take a dark turn at some points later in the game.
    -Graphics
    While Dark Cloud may have been a visually great game at the time, it never had the best graphics. This is not to say that the game looks bad by any means, I would not want it any other way. The game is just dated and it shows in some areas such as with draw distance, lighting water and fire effects. Every texture is well represented and looks nice in total.
    -Sound
    The game has an iffy soundtrack at times. The main theme and the Dran boss music are among the best music I have heard in video games, but some of the later bosses and some of the music for areas are a bit bland and sometimes repetitive. The sound is very well done, the sounds the characters make and the weapons or enemies make are all great, well timed and a great addition to the game.
    -Gameplay
    -Fighting
    Dark Cloud doesn't necessarily have the most complex fighting system, but it fits for this game. You press X, you attack. You hold X, you do a special attack. That's mostly it. Some enemies, like most RPGs, are a certain element and certain attributes to your weapons hurt some enemies more than others. The system is very simple and repetitive, but fun.
    -Dungeon Crawling
    This game has a unique element to exploring it's dungeons. Every time you enter a floor of the dungeon you are in, the floor is randomly generated, a gameplay mechanic that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon utilized. Some floors do, however have a set condition, whether it be forcing you to play as a certain character or having your weapon lose experience as you use it. In dungeons, there is also an area in some floors called a back floor, which is an area you can only access with a specific item that you obtain randomly in chests. These areas have stronger enemies that give you more exp. for your weapons and also have more valuable loot.
    -Weapons
    In the game, you don't exactly level up your character, you do upgrade your defense through items, but all of your attack is based off of the strength of your weapon. Along the game you will naturally come across more weapons. As you use these weapons, they gain experience and can level up, increasing stats, you can increase them further by adding attachments and gems, which speed the process up significantly. Once you get it's stats to a certain point, you can build up your weapon, making it stronger and capable of surpassing the limitations your old weapon could never break. Once you level up a weapon five times, you can break it down into a synthsphere and attach it to a different weapon, giving 60% of all of that weapon's stats to the weapon you put it to. One sidepoint is that your weapons can break, and you will need to repair them before that with repair powders. If your weapon happens to break, you will revert to the weakest weapon in your inventory that can't 'break', but once it reaches the breaking point, it might as well have broken.
    -Characters
    Throughout the game, you will encounter certain characters that will join your party and are essential to get past obstacles your character cannot. These range from three other ranged characters and two melee characters, they all come with their own set of weapons and stats, but overall are just a tool to the game as they seldom provide any additional plot or intricacy to the situation at hand, they never appear in cutscenes out of the place where you find them, either.
    -Georama & Atlamillia
    Now for the most unique part of the game, Atlamillia. As you progress through dungeons, you will find floating orbs called Atlamillia. As you collect Atla, you will come back to the town you are in and notice the Georama system. This system literally lets you rebuild the town you are in from scratch. The Atla that you collect is actually the parts that you use to create the village. You find the townsfolk and they will give you their requests on what they want in their house and how they want their village to be rebuilt. Once you satisfy them, you will obtain a great reward in return.
    -Verdict
    Overall, this game is a gem from my childhood that still stands up today, it is one of my favorite games that I will always cherish and come back to from time to time. I love this game more than it's sequel and hope there is a third sequel in the Dark Cloud franchise because this game warrants it. 10/10.
  5. Dec 21, 2012
    Once upon a time, this game was possibly the best I had ever played. Many fond memories of the characters, the towns, the weapon system, and even the enormously lengthly and tall Demon Shaft to get the Chronicle 2 sword(the best sword in the game). Of course I couldn't go back to it today, however I still say this was one of the best games I've played to date that could keep me entertainedOnce upon a time, this game was possibly the best I had ever played. Many fond memories of the characters, the towns, the weapon system, and even the enormously lengthly and tall Demon Shaft to get the Chronicle 2 sword(the best sword in the game). Of course I couldn't go back to it today, however I still say this was one of the best games I've played to date that could keep me entertained for such a long period of time. For the memories alone I give this game a 10/10. Dark Cloud was amazing and always will be in the hearts of those who enjoyed it.

To those in 2008 and later, do keep in mind this game is very old and shouldn't be compared to what we have today.
  6. Aug 7, 2013
    when i was much younger, this game pretty much was my child hood. but looking back on it now it is not really as amazing as i thought.
    don't get me wrong, it's still a wonderful game with great graphics, memorable characters and an interesting story. but the writing is a bit iffy, the gameplay can become rather dull and there are some game breaking glitches that cause major problems.

while it was not as super amazing as i thought when i was little. returning to it still left a smile on my face during the experience
  7. Sep 11, 2013
    While I do give the game credit for trying to do something new, it is far to slow paced and repetitive to enjoy in the long run. It's starts off alright, introducing you to allot of new (at the time) gameplay mechanics. However as the game progresses you notice that each new section more or less does exactly the same thing as the section before. The narrative is also far too disjointed inWhile I do give the game credit for trying to do something new, it is far to slow paced and repetitive to enjoy in the long run. It's starts off alright, introducing you to allot of new (at the time) gameplay mechanics. However as the game progresses you notice that each new section more or less does exactly the same thing as the section before. The narrative is also far too disjointed in order to be invested. You spend too little time with each character and you really end up not caring to much what happens to them.

Overall:

A decent idea that is perhaps to rough in its overall design. With a bit more polish and development this game could have been allot better. Still worth a try, but I would recommend playing this in small doses.

1. It’s a captivating run for about the first ten hours of play, then dungeon levels become too mechanical. Still, for all its shortcomings, the game also has its share of charms.
  2. Crawling through hoards of dungeons in search for more, and more pieces to your missing world never got old for me. I was always driven to go on.
  3. The game could not have survived as a dungeon crawler alone, and thankfully the many side diversions offer hours of fun by themselves.