• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Jan 25, 2003
6.9

1. Oct 24, 2012
    Devil May Cry 2 is a pale shadow of the original and stands as the worst entry in the series. The camera is annoying, the targeting system is broken, the enemies are tedious, and there is no real story. The worst part is that the difficulty has been dumbed down to the point where the combat is tedious and boring instead of challenging and exciting. There is the potential for a good gameDevil May Cry 2 is a pale shadow of the original and stands as the worst entry in the series. The camera is annoying, the targeting system is broken, the enemies are tedious, and there is no real story. The worst part is that the difficulty has been dumbed down to the point where the combat is tedious and boring instead of challenging and exciting. There is the potential for a good game here but it's obvious that DMC2 was rushed out the door to cash in on the success of the original. Considering that the original DMC is one of the best action games on the PS2 this game is more of an insult to fans than a sequel. Expand
  2. Feb 24, 2013
    It may not be as good as the first Devil May Cry, but Devil May Cry 2 is still an awesome game. I had an absolute blast with this game. I loved the soundtrack, the creepy environments, and the cool boss fights. One particular cool feature DMC 2 offers is that it has two different campaigns that tie into each other. One is the Dante campaign and the other gives us a new character to play asIt may not be as good as the first Devil May Cry, but Devil May Cry 2 is still an awesome game. I had an absolute blast with this game. I loved the soundtrack, the creepy environments, and the cool boss fights. One particular cool feature DMC 2 offers is that it has two different campaigns that tie into each other. One is the Dante campaign and the other gives us a new character to play as named Lucia. It's all very cool it's just kind of disappointing that so much content is the same in both campaigns (same bosses, levels, and objectives). But still there's enough differences between the campaigns to warrant another playthrough. While the is still an awesome DMC game there are some things that are going to disappoint fans. The first being it's a short game, you can complete both campaigns in about 4-6 hours and it's a lot easier than the first was. The high replay value makes up for the short length, but the dip in difficulty is likely going to turn off most fans. The camera is also a slight issue this time around, you still don't have control over it which means it isn't always in the best position. But still even with it's flaws I had tons of fun with this game. So I do recommend this game, it's a super fun hack and slash with loads of style. Just keep in mind it's not going to be as good as the first DMC. Expand
  3. Jan 5, 2013
    When I first played this I found the addition of a new playable character, the ability to fly, the ability to run superfast along with interesting puzzles and enemies to be a good + point for gameplay. Another thing I appreciated was the fact that you can approach a situation in two different ways since you get to play as two characters, each with their own perspectives. However, at theWhen I first played this I found the addition of a new playable character, the ability to fly, the ability to run superfast along with interesting puzzles and enemies to be a good + point for gameplay. Another thing I appreciated was the fact that you can approach a situation in two different ways since you get to play as two characters, each with their own perspectives. However, at the same time the gameplay was heavily damaged due to the slower/sluggish fighting overall as compared to Devil May Cry 1. But this is just my personal opinion as some people might prefer this type of gameplay instead. Gameplay: 8.5/10

As for the graphics, they are quite dumbed down compared to the original Devil May Cry 1 and the camera angles are EXTREMELY bad compared to the first's amazing camera angles. Still, the game does manage to do some things better like have more shiny effects and give a more detailed character model to Dante. Graphics: 7.5/10

Finally the story. The story of this game is not at all as good as the original's more personal story. Dante's story is just okay and Lucia's story is the only good and actual interesting part. Nevertheless, the introduction and the endings are just as well delivered as the first game IMO. Since this game has two stories and I actually liked Lucia's story, I'll give it a break. Story: 8.5/10
  4. May 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily the worst of the series, Devil May Cry 2 attempts to streamline the gameplay by doing away with the most interesting game mechanics of its predecessor. Less focus on upgrading weapons and learning new moves, more focus on art and story. STORY, I'll remind everyone, in a game made by Capcom. So since this isn't Resident Evil we're talking about, assume the story here sucks the big one. DMC2 does, however, kick a lot of ass, but the action is poorly split up, and the game is over too soon. The worst part is, once you beat the game you figure out what the second disc is for; replaying the game as a crappier character. Bor-ring. Thankfully, each DMC since this turd has been a blast. Expand
  5. Jul 19, 2011
    This game was an utter waste of my money and time. The graphics may have been good, but that's it. He is waaaaay too serious in the whole thing and the story moves waaaay too fast. There is nothing good at all about this game and i suggest not even renting it. There is nothing amusing or amazing about this game at all.
  6. May 10, 2013
    it's short, the storyline is shallow and makes no sense, and there's no real sense of excitement to the combat anymore. Entire boss fights are handled by standing in place and mashing the shoot button for 10 minutes, and enemies present absolutely no challenge. The main character is a cardboard cutout of an attempt at making something "cool", the ending is anti-climactic, and one fullit's short, the storyline is shallow and makes no sense, and there's no real sense of excitement to the combat anymore. Entire boss fights are handled by standing in place and mashing the shoot button for 10 minutes, and enemies present absolutely no challenge. The main character is a cardboard cutout of an attempt at making something "cool", the ending is anti-climactic, and one full half of the game is simply replaying the game start to finish, but with a different character. The story is unappealing, the challenge is unengaging, not only is there little replayability, but I had a hard time finding the motivation to even finish the game once, let alone a second time. Expand
  7. Nov 16, 2011
    Dante. You are in some pretty awesome games, Dante. But your initial fame left you confused and searching for an identy. What resulted was the black sheep of the Devil May Cry franchise. The first Devil May Cry is legendary, but in my opinion hasn't aged as well as it should have. I don't like this game beause the first was so good and this game doesn't live up to the original, butDante. You are in some pretty awesome games, Dante. But your initial fame left you confused and searching for an identy. What resulted was the black sheep of the Devil May Cry franchise. The first Devil May Cry is legendary, but in my opinion hasn't aged as well as it should have. I don't like this game beause the first was so good and this game doesn't live up to the original, but instead it took all the horror and creepiness of the first game, chewed it up, spat it out, and said "here's the sequel, enjoy." This game took the horror aspects of the first game and ran with them, but unfortunately made Dante so slow that a snail could actually pose a threat in this game. In the first game, Dante was fast and moved with grace. In this game he moves like a guy who thought it would be cool to run around with a sword today. The open enironments in this game are the only thing this game has to offer that is relatively good, but even then, the game suffers from low resolution and character models that make the first game cry itself to sleep. The plot is pretty dull and boring and is so forgetable it makes my yawns yawn. Playing as Lucia on the second disc is a cool addition and she feels a hell of a lot different from Dante, but her levels are just as boring as Dante's. In fact "boring" is the best word to describe this game. It's so dull and lifeless that it can bairly be considered a game. It is just a time waster, and when you consider the fact that this franchise has three good games out of its four released ones, a time waster doesn't quite cut it. Expand
  8. Mar 29, 2013
    Utter garbage. Aside from having Dante in it, I really can not think of anything good to say about it. Gameplay is pathetically easy. Controls are awkward and sometimes unresponsive. Voice acting (aside from Dante) is weak. Creature and level design and art direction is decent most of the time, but mostly feels like a rehash of the first game. Overall: A really pathetic attempt at a sequelUtter garbage. Aside from having Dante in it, I really can not think of anything good to say about it. Gameplay is pathetically easy. Controls are awkward and sometimes unresponsive. Voice acting (aside from Dante) is weak. Creature and level design and art direction is decent most of the time, but mostly feels like a rehash of the first game. Overall: A really pathetic attempt at a sequel to a fantastic game. Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2013
    Devil May Cry 2 is what happens when you take DMC1, and take away the challenging difficulty, the funny one-liners from Dante (they virtually made him mute), and the great characters (Lucia was one of my main problems with this game). But that doesn't mean it's a bad game. The gameplay improved incredibly in this game, and the bosses were enjoyable. Some of the levels were reallyDevil May Cry 2 is what happens when you take DMC1, and take away the challenging difficulty, the funny one-liners from Dante (they virtually made him mute), and the great characters (Lucia was one of my main problems with this game). But that doesn't mean it's a bad game. The gameplay improved incredibly in this game, and the bosses were enjoyable. Some of the levels were really backtracky, but that's fine. If you happen to pick up the DMC HD Collection, I would recommend you play this, despite it being the weakest of the 4. Expand
  10. Sep 28, 2013
    Gran juego. No está a la altura de el original, pero sin duda alguna divierte convirtiéndose en una secuela fiel de "Devil May Cry". A pesar de los giros de la historia se destaca más que nada por las peleas de jefes y gráficos mejorados
  11. Oct 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If anyone needed to know how to take a great game or series and ruin it, Capcom would be the people to ask.

When this game came out, it was very disappointing. So much had changed from the original game and not for the best.

The environments were now drab generic city streets. You fight the most generic enemies ever including demonic tanks and evil cooperation CEOs. I dont like to spoil endings in reviews but i feel like it is a must here, so be warned for below is a ***HUGE SPOILER***

At the end of the game you fight a super generic boss and think to yourself, its finally over. But nope, they needed a way to tie in the first game somehow, so the final boss is a blob consisting of all the bosses from the original game at once. The most unimaginative ending to the most bland and boring sequel ever.

Combat is dumbed down, removing all the style from the last game. Weapons are now hidden throughout the level instead of being requirements of moving forward with a puzzle, so i found myself missing a lot of them throughout the play though because it is never explained they had changed it. About the 5th or 6th level in I found a sword floating on top of a building and finally realized why i hadn't gotten any new weapons. Now that i had found a new weapon does that change up how combat is? No or not at least what you would expect out of getting a different weapon. It isn't rewarding at all.

The story was never amazing in the first place, but it made sense and at least kept me intrested. This story though is the most generic and boring ever. Lucia is a demon and doesn't know it, cooperations are evil, ect.

There is no redeeming factors here. At least in the timeline this takes place at the end of the 4 games, so pretend it never happened and you'll enjoy the other 4 games a lot more.

Games this intense are rare, and DMC2's minor flaws are well worth dealing with. [Mar 2003, p.45]
  2. A solid game with plenty of action, but the original set new standards for this genre, and DMC 2 just doesn't match its level of personality or polish. [Mar 2003, p.34]
  3. It's just disappointing to see such an uninspired sequel that simply goes through the motions of being an action game rather than taking advantage of concepts introduced in its predecessor.