Devil May Cry PlayStation 2

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Oct 16, 2001
8.5

1. Dec 6, 2011
    Very fun and old school game. it still is the best in the series and the game has lots of soul. Very nice environments, character and enemy designs, good music, really cant go wrong with this game.
  2. DannyC.
    Apr 12, 2003
    One of the best games ever made!!! this game is so fun.
  3. Alex
    Nov 15, 2005
    while almost no game is perfect, Devil May Cry sure comes damn close. awesome ahead-of-its-time visuals, fast paced game play, and plenty of extra sutff to do (such as the secret missions and psudo-mini-games). one of, if not THE best game on PS2.
  4. Mike
    Dec 7, 2004
    One of the best games i have played. the story line may be short but the action is awesome. one of my fav things to do in that game is kill the final boss.
  5. Dec 3, 2011
    Extremely over the top, yet extremely awesome. It sort of takes the fixed camera angles that we see in old Resident Evil games and much of the Silent Hill franchise except incorporates action packed gameplay. It's like a mixture of horror, action, and fantasy. The gameplay in this game has heavily influenced countless other games such as the Kingdom Hearts franchise, God of War, andExtremely over the top, yet extremely awesome. It sort of takes the fixed camera angles that we see in old Resident Evil games and much of the Silent Hill franchise except incorporates action packed gameplay. It's like a mixture of horror, action, and fantasy. The gameplay in this game has heavily influenced countless other games such as the Kingdom Hearts franchise, God of War, and Dante's Inferno. This is a classic. Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2012
    What I desperatly needed was something positive and refreshing on the PS2, and my desires were fulfilled with Devil May Cry. I still believe to this day that this game is Capcom's gem and a brilliant title all around. The dark, Gothic appeal to this game is finely presented and Dante is one bad ass character. The weapons are another huge plus, upgrades and perks add a lot of content andWhat I desperatly needed was something positive and refreshing on the PS2, and my desires were fulfilled with Devil May Cry. I still believe to this day that this game is Capcom's gem and a brilliant title all around. The dark, Gothic appeal to this game is finely presented and Dante is one bad ass character. The weapons are another huge plus, upgrades and perks add a lot of content and makes it all worth your time. Devil May Cry isn't the longest game but extra difficulties are rewarding and worth attempting. This game is what PS2 badly needed, a gem action title with the potential for sequels. Expand
  7. BlackDragon
    Apr 5, 2002
    Insane is the first word that strikes me. Insane moves, insane enemies, insane difficulty... Unless you unlock the secret "Automatic Easy" mode and plays through that first, you're in for one hell of a tough game.
  8. TarikT.
    Oct 22, 2001
    The game has crappy dialog but it really kicks ass. You play as an investigator named dante fighting evil. When you are equipped with guns and swords you are unstoppable.
  9. AnonymousMC
    Jan 30, 2002
    Great story line, very outstanding 3D graphics and the moves of Dante... Man, they totally knock my teeth out!! Too easy you say, try Dante must die mode and see if you still think it's TOO easy!! If you own a PS2 but don't have this game, you better go get one or you might aswell kill yourself~~
  10. Jani
    Feb 6, 2002
    This one of the best action games out there.
  11. DanteS.
    Mar 7, 2002
    This is among the 3 best games I've ever played. A solid Contender to MGS2. Take the fighting from THE MATRIX, Some Jhon Woo Camera angles, then put Castlevania's enviroments in 128 bits graphics, some metal/hard rock mind blowin' soundtrack, and the you have it. DEVIL MAY CRY.
  12. JarredS.
    May 7, 2003
    Capcom shouldnt have wasted time makin Resident Evil they should have made Devil May Cry a saga this game is PERFECT!!!!!!!
  13. NinjaMafia
    Aug 11, 2003
    After playing Onimusha for months I wanted something new, that is when I heard about DMC. The game is extremely fun to play but it might not suit everyone. First off the game's story is cheesey and doesn't come close to Onimusha's, which wasn't that great either. However the game is pretty hard and extremely stylish. The graphics in the game are okay, I didn't After playing Onimusha for months I wanted something new, that is when I heard about DMC. The game is extremely fun to play but it might not suit everyone. First off the game's story is cheesey and doesn't come close to Onimusha's, which wasn't that great either. However the game is pretty hard and extremely stylish. The graphics in the game are okay, I didn't find them exceptionally good but they weren't bad. The gameplay is fast, hard and stylish. You can get the souls of your enemies and buy new abilities and items. Overall the gameplay is what made this game fun, for me atleast. The sound is really a mixed bag. The voice acting wasn't horrible, but it wasn't anything good. The music became repetitive but the music was good for awhile. The enviroments in the agme are small but filled with atmosphere. Overall, DMC is a good game for people who like pure action and little story, or someone looking for a stylishly hard game. However people will hate this game for its bad storyline and sometimes extremely hard gameplay. Expand
  14. AnthonyS.
    Jul 4, 2004
    Probably my favorite game. its very fun. it has pretty much no problems!
  15. Elmo
    Feb 1, 2002
    What a great game. It looks like a dream, plays like one too, but feels like a nightmare. The more you get powers the better you feel about this game. It realy is worth owning.
  16. IshanZ.
    Feb 10, 2002
    I played this game at my friend's house and it was cool!
  17. PsychoMantis
    Feb 20, 2002
    A pretty bad ass game if you ask me, the action is intense and Dante's moves he pulls off are super slick. The graphics in this game are sweet, the sound effects rock your speakers and the music keeps the pace but why did I give it an 8? The storyline (or lack thereof) wasn't very involving, as fun as the game is it lacked depth, also if this were a 2 player game then it would A pretty bad ass game if you ask me, the action is intense and Dante's moves he pulls off are super slick. The graphics in this game are sweet, the sound effects rock your speakers and the music keeps the pace but why did I give it an 8? The storyline (or lack thereof) wasn't very involving, as fun as the game is it lacked depth, also if this were a 2 player game then it would be excellent. Pretty good as is, I don't think I'd go pay 50$ or even 40 for it but its a nice rental, i can't wait for #2. Expand
  18. EmpyriaN6
    Feb 3, 2002
    This game is awesome! I have no idea what kind of retard can say that it's virtually unplayable...You will have learnt a lot of stuff in a mere 20 minutes, and you will be expanding your knowledge as you play. The graphics are astounding and so is the sound. The camera may be a bit annoying sometimes, but this only happens seldomly and it does not ruin the gameplay.
  19. VahagnM.
    May 1, 2002
    Best game ever.
  20. Mark
    Feb 27, 2003
    This game is awsome. but once you beat it it gets kind of boring. It is has awsome graphics. thats all i can say now.
  21. CoolDude
    Apr 3, 2003
    Brillllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!! but play DMC2 as it is so much better.
  22. NaomiM.
    Nov 1, 2004
    Lets Rock Baby! This has to be one of the best games of all time! I have never played a game that made me feel like i was such a bad ass mother f***er!! I love the smooth movements and the way you use guns and a sword. I love everything about this game ( even Dante). This is definetly a must have game!!
  23. DizzyS.
    Apr 30, 2004
    This is one of the greatest games ever made and I don't impress easily the only bad thing is that the franchise was slayed by devil may cry 2 Imean 2 wasnt bad but it wasnt good either capcom needs to bring it all back with 3 I just hpoe they can pull it off because with a game franchise this good it cant just go to waste DMC Rocks.
  24. RyanM.
    May 7, 2004
    Though, now it may be older, it is still an excellent adventure that will leave you all craving more. And sadly the sequel doesn't offer that.
  25. JoshuaS.
    Jul 30, 2004
    I don't understand how any true fan of video gaming could NOT appreciate this game. The style, presentation and intense pace of DMC are only matched by the fun to be had in experiencing this game. The bosses and levels strike the perfect balance of acceptable learning curve combined with challenge that keep them from being annoying and frustrating. The fighting system is I don't understand how any true fan of video gaming could NOT appreciate this game. The style, presentation and intense pace of DMC are only matched by the fun to be had in experiencing this game. The bosses and levels strike the perfect balance of acceptable learning curve combined with challenge that keep them from being annoying and frustrating. The fighting system is user-friendly and then some, and the enemies are varied enough to keep the player from becoming bored. Plus--and arguably, most importantly--there is much more than sufficient reason to replay this game more than once or twice as the unlockables are VERY worth it! A triumph to be celebrated and relived again and again!! Expand
  26. JonathanF.
    Mar 31, 2005
    By far the best PS2 action game I've played in a while. Although the camera can get a little frustrating at times, Dante attacks with such style and grace that you sometimes think he is one with the sword. It gets a little hard at times . . . but you can forgive it as Dante is just SO DAMN COOL ! ! !
  27. RussH.
    Feb 3, 2006
    Good game..the camara sucks though, stuff attacks you and you can't see it half the time. or you attack things and don't know what you're attacking. Everything else is fun though.
  28. AdamW.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Awesome game, but very low replay value. The cut scenes and Dante's quips are both quite funny and bad ass. Definitely worth a rental. The worst thing about it is that the game can be quite hard for the casual gamer.
  29. MaxP.
    Nov 10, 2001
    Holly f... dat was thge best--hardest f.... game I've ever played in my life....it makes Max Payne look like sh.. iz gotz to pickz upz a playstation 2 just for dmc--grand theft auto 3 and all the other f..... amazing games for PS2.
  30. AnonymousMC
    Nov 1, 2001
    Simply the best game of all time! Everything about this game is absolutely phenomenal. The gameplay is superb, and overall it makes the Resident Evil Series look simply pathetic in comparison. For the one person I know who thought this game was too easy: Piss Off! You're a damn fool, and so is anyone who doesn't love this game.
  31. CharlesG.
    Oct 22, 2001
    This is the best game I have ever played. The graphics are just amazing. I can't believe how much fun it is. This game is so fun, amazing cannot describe it.
  32. BrandonM.
    Oct 26, 2001
    Can you say finally? We all have been waiting for a game such as DMC for quite some years now. The combos rock the matrix style slowdown in mid-air shooting just makes any fan of action movies drool. I say why should I go rent or watch a movie, when I can sit down and play one? p.s. there had better be a sequel.
  33. EnderW.
    Oct 28, 2001
    I think that this is one of the best PS2 games to date. But this game is so hard it will give u gray hair or an ulcer, the reason I didnt give this a 9 is beacuse there are no cheats to help you.
  34. Lodde
    Jan 11, 2002
    Okay, maybe this game is not perfect, but DMC is an awesome game. I've played tons of games, and this one definitely is one of the most exciting to play (especially when in mind-altered states). Screw what everyone is saying about camera angles and storyline, stop knitpicking you pansies! DMC is a necessary action packed addition to any true PS2 gamers's library.
  35. MichelleW.
    Jan 16, 2002
    I gave this game a 9 because it has a lot of action and it really is a great game.
  36. MatM>
    Jan 18, 2002
    Simply amazing!!
  37. B.AnquerT.
    Jan 24, 2002
    Kick Assssssssssssss.
  38. Will
    Jan 28, 2002
    Simply put, this game is sweet.
  39. AnonymousMC
    Feb 17, 2002
    tru, the camera angles make it tricky, but DMC is NOT hard. it should take u less than 5 hrs to beat the game if ur good enough. &that's as a first-timer.
    Next Generation is stupid. this game is definitely not too difficult & u can beat it within a few hrs
  40. Serra
    Apr 19, 2002
    Dead Stuff! Muh-ha-ha...DIE! Extremely cool game. Short though. But I so dearly love watchin' blood fly. Not all girls are opposed to violence, after all. I eat dead things.
  41. MikeyC.
    Jun 18, 2002
    Really fast pace my kinda game but it was to short. i beat it two times the first three days i had it. i would have gave it a 7 but he looks like anthony kiedis from the red hot chili peppers the greatest rockstar of all time so ill give it a 9.
  42. FranF.
    Jan 15, 2003
    Capcom has done again with yet another superb game. Take Resident Evil but add more action, better controls and Giger-ish/Bosch environments and you'll be in for the ride of your life. Simply one of THE best games for the PS2. As for difficulty, I didn't find it that hard at all. Compared to RE, it was rather easy so I'm a bit confused as to why people are complaining about Capcom has done again with yet another superb game. Take Resident Evil but add more action, better controls and Giger-ish/Bosch environments and you'll be in for the ride of your life. Simply one of THE best games for the PS2. As for difficulty, I didn't find it that hard at all. Compared to RE, it was rather easy so I'm a bit confused as to why people are complaining about the difficulty. Even the last boss fight only takes a couple trys. Go out and get this game, especially now that it's only $20.00. You could do a hell of a lot worse and probably won't do a heck of a lot better for that pricetag (that is, unless you find SotN for the PSOne and in that case...) Expand
  43. DOMINIQUEB.
    Mar 13, 2003
    THIS Game is one one the best games i ever played. man once you play it you will play over and over again. Take my word for it.
  44. Janu
    Jun 15, 2003
    This game rocks!! I just love this game because you just slash and chop and rip monsters' brains out!! The gameplay is very good and the grpahics are awesome!! I recommend this to anyone who owns a PS2!! Rent it first, though, because you don't have to listen to me....
  45. FernandoC.
    Jan 26, 2004
    Spanish comment: Excelente juego. Entretenido, buena historia, realmente vale la pena aun cuando tiene bastante tiempo de hecho....
  46. DaveC.
    Mar 18, 2004
    Awesome game graphics = 9 gameplay = 10 storyline = 8 sound= 10 overall = 10/10 this game is cool! cool replay value on dante must die mode and loads of extra missions you must be mad or not good enough to cut it as a demon slayer if you dont want to get this game! worth every penny! :P
  47. AnonymousMC
    May 11, 2004
    [anynonomys suck chunks and 14 and i love this game oooohhh bad cam angle's cry me a river you cum guzzling gutter slut devil may cry rocks and so does its sequal and plastation mag sucks for sayin it dosent! Devel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel[anynonomys suck chunks and 14 and i love this game oooohhh bad cam angle's cry me a river you cum guzzling gutter slut devil may cry rocks and so does its sequal and plastation mag sucks for sayin it dosent! Devel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocksDevel may cry rocks Expand
  48. Adlai
    Aug 4, 2004
    This game really rocks. The graphics is awesome, the fights are really cool(you gotta believe me!!), and the story is different from other games (a demon protagonist, cool right)
  49. Ummm
    Sep 9, 2004
    This game kicks ass really really hard.
  50. SigurdL.
    Mar 5, 2005
    It's an absolute blast of a game in allmost every way. Although the camera can get annoying sometime, but that is not important when the game is so good. The graphics is perfect in everyway. The difficult level is to hard on normal, that's why it gets two points down with the annoying camera.
  51. MichaelV.
    May 14, 2005
    This is some tight s@#!$ homie. It's a bit short though. ( I beat it in about 6 hours.) It's definitley a worthy purchase. It only costs $9.00! I really enjoyed this game and after you beat it you can go back with every item and move you had when you beat it. Now, if you'll excuse me im gonna go and play through it again.
  52. DavidB.
    Nov 2, 2006
    I love this game and it gets funnier every time you beat it. Yeah it gets easier, but the bosses get harder and that is waht makes it fun.
  53. AnonymousMC
    Apr 13, 2007
    This game is off the SHIZNIZE. This game is up there with Madden and thats uo there. I've played one, two, and three, but I haven't seen the fourth one on playtion2. I heard it was only on xbox360, playstaion3,or something like that. If so if you don't mide please put Devil May Cry 4 on playstion2. Ha maybe you have a 5,6,7,8,9,10 and so on coming out and soon. If soThis game is off the SHIZNIZE. This game is up there with Madden and thats uo there. I've played one, two, and three, but I haven't seen the fourth one on playtion2. I heard it was only on xbox360, playstaion3,or something like that. If so if you don't mide please put Devil May Cry 4 on playstion2. Ha maybe you have a 5,6,7,8,9,10 and so on coming out and soon. If so please put that on playstion2. Thanks for taking some time out of your busy schechle. Expand
  54. ThrdSonofSparda
    Dec 1, 2009
    The brilliance of the Sony's PS2 game engine is superbly displayed in this one of a kinda Action game. Forget what those so-called "hard core," gamers would rate this (go play your FPS since thinking is to hard for you), true fans still have it sitting on their shelves and don't consider it a casual game. Where else can you find a wise cracking protagonist who can talk trash The brilliance of the Sony's PS2 game engine is superbly displayed in this one of a kinda Action game. Forget what those so-called "hard core," gamers would rate this (go play your FPS since thinking is to hard for you), true fans still have it sitting on their shelves and don't consider it a casual game. Where else can you find a wise cracking protagonist who can talk trash with the best of the bosses, hack and slash with killer style, has one hell of a family lineage, and still finds time to save the world. This game has amazing graphics to boot, a wonderful story that is not @ all convoluted but straight forward, wicked secret challenges, gr8 fights and oh and did I mention he eats pizza too? Get off your bum and go get this game. That's an order!!! Expand
  55. Cheese3
    Nov 11, 2001
    The monsters in Devil May Cry are very imaginative and very fun to kill. The idea of having a sword and a gun is genious.
  56. StevenC.
    Nov 19, 2001
    3rd favorite, and can you pleas send me some codes, really need it for blue creek apartment. Thanks, Steven.
  57. FaithMoonStone
    Nov 27, 2001
    I would give this game a 100 but i can`t... this gave is so cool. You get different guns and swords and you go through missions and you get more life by getting blue stones... this is an awesome game! There better be a sequel!!!
  58. BrandonW.
    Nov 4, 2001
    This game is just plain fun. There are a few issues with camera and difficulty, but they rarely detract from the overall experience.
  59. PatrickM.
    Oct 17, 2001
    Wow. Devil May Cry is a shining example of what next-generation gaming is all about. Beautiful graphics, tight control, and clever game design. If you own a PS2, buy this game. If not, this may be the reason to pick one up!
  60. MichaelQ.
    Dec 14, 2001
    Add I feel Mr. Tickle should be beat. I've only played the demo, and I couldn't get enough. All must play this game, and THIS game has turned into the reason I really, really want a PS2.
  61. KyleB.
    Oct 22, 2002
    This game was both fun and frustriating. The graphics were some of the best I have seen, and the game play was great. The weapons though limited were great and were fun to use such as the pistols. But Dante still pissed me off! He was built up with all this attitude but he fell for the girl, that is a boring. They fall in love and the main thing that attracts him to her is the fact she This game was both fun and frustriating. The graphics were some of the best I have seen, and the game play was great. The weapons though limited were great and were fun to use such as the pistols. But Dante still pissed me off! He was built up with all this attitude but he fell for the girl, that is a boring. They fall in love and the main thing that attracts him to her is the fact she looks like his mom. The enemies look nice and there are a wide range of original ones, The back grounds look very good and the bosses are huge! The challange can become a bit overwhelming. The difficulty Dante Must Die! should have come with a free control coupon because you will through the control a couple times. But overall this is a good game worth buying. Expand
  62. D'strueself
    Jul 18, 2002
    ...Nevermind.
  63. JamesN.
    Jul 21, 2002
    I liked that game it's Adventure & Action. I like it because you have to figure things out. It's like a mystery you find things and you put something in and something starts to happen there would be some new creature and you have to fight them then can get passed them. I was wondering are you going make Devil May Cry 2? If they did I would rent it or buy then quickly.
  64. VahagnM.
    Dec 15, 2004
    Best game ever.
  65. SteveW.
    Sep 13, 2004
    An Awesome Game That You Can Play Again And Again And Never Get Bored Of Altho No Game Is Perfect And I Have To Say That This Game Is Way To Hard Its Like Normal Is Hard And Easy-auto Is Normal Geez And The Camara Gets Anoying When Fightin Nightmare Especially Kool Game , To Hard!
  66. Taj
    Apr 17, 2005
    Great game. Offered the best in the action genre at it's time.
  67. ShauniJ.
    May 12, 2005
    It is a great game but needed more secrets and unlockables. other than that it is enjoyable. (Great when you had a bad day,you can unleash your anger) :)
  68. TitaniumDragon
    Nov 23, 2007
    Possibly the best game ever made. This game is simply amazing; great control, great graphics, great gameplay, and the perfect difficulty level. It was a work of genius and everyone who owns a PS2 should own it.
  69. Mithyus
    Mar 25, 2007
    The starting kick for a great innovation in the action genre - purely brilliant.
  70. DanteVSKratosP.
    Jun 16, 2007
    Devil May Cry 1: 3 word sums it up This Game Rock's GamePlay: Street Fighter (Best Game Play Ever) Theme: Castlevania or RE (Gothic Casttle Sweet) Sound: Realistic Sound Track: Great Music sets mood the game Story Line: Better than any other name one Action game Name one Action Game that combines fanstasy& Great game Play yeah you say God of War I agree that bad A** game but Devil Devil May Cry 1: 3 word sums it up This Game Rock's GamePlay: Street Fighter (Best Game Play Ever) Theme: Castlevania or RE (Gothic Casttle Sweet) Sound: Realistic Sound Track: Great Music sets mood the game Story Line: Better than any other name one Action game Name one Action Game that combines fanstasy& Great game Play yeah you say God of War I agree that bad A** game but Devil May Cry came frist and but to me Devil May Cry : Best Action Gothic Game God of War: Best Action Medieval Game These two Games are both best of best stop Hating on either one games both are best of best period. To me this two neck to neck for me no one like one better than other but Devil May Cry came frist remember that! Expand
  71. seungp
    Oct 11, 2009
    This game is great. It really made way for stylish hack-n-slash action games to follow, in my opinion. However, I have some issues with its difficulty selection. It's way too hard on normal difficulty, and way too easy on easy automatic mode. They should have balanced out difficulty modes more gradually because the first few missions are very hard for someone who is new. If that This game is great. It really made way for stylish hack-n-slash action games to follow, in my opinion. However, I have some issues with its difficulty selection. It's way too hard on normal difficulty, and way too easy on easy automatic mode. They should have balanced out difficulty modes more gradually because the first few missions are very hard for someone who is new. If that makes the player give up and go down to easy automatic mode, it will be too easy and ruin the experience. Dante is a likable character. However his personality seems to change drastically from every release of sequel, probably because the development team changed frequently. I feel like its makers butchered this series by releasing 2 bad games (2 and 4) and not being smart about preserving Dante's personality. Dante in this game is not like anything you'll see in other DMC games. He is depicted as an outcast who longs for parental reminisces in a post-modern world that also has gothic elements and mythical monsters. As an unique setting as it is, it blends well with the style the game strives for, and the product is a masterpiece that reinvented its genre in early 2000's. There are other issues in the game as well, however. Camera can vary from being an annoyance to the main source of frustration, depending on the player. Dante's motifs are also very generic so it makes the tidbits of story the game contains even more shallow. Cutscenes are sometimes cool, but other times silly and even embarassing from time to time as Dante shows off or makes comments that would have been left unsaid. Overall, however, it is a great action game, and 8 is a high rating that I believe it deserves. Expand
  72. DonnieF.
    Nov 21, 2001
    Aside from some odd camera angles, this game is probably the best game out there for ps2, nothing can come close to it.
  73. ShawnJ.
    Dec 16, 2001
    DMC is amazing! The story line/plot is very cool and pulls you deeper into the gameplay. I gave DMC a 9 for the simple fact that they don't have a sequel out... I need my fix!
  74. Dantesparda416
    Nov 11, 2002
    I give this game an 11 out of a 10 it is perfect in every way. awesome graphics, cool ass music, dante can do awsome techniques like changing into a devil. the one draw back is that you cant change into sparda in regular mode........oh if anyone finds devil may cry midis please e-mail it to me. dont forget devil may cry 2 is coming out this winter dont miss this one.
  75. Sep 1, 2010
    Great game a True classic in a industry clouted with crap. and to the guy who said he beat it in 6 hours try normal or hard dont rag on it b/c u played on baby skill level. one game i'll never give up
  76. Aug 8, 2012
    Devil May Cry is a superb hack and slash action game that kept me entertained throughout its campaign. The graphics are great with nicely detailed character models and textures. The atmosphere is very hellish; dark, cold and sometimes chilly and scary. DMC offers the player a chance to play as a half devil, half human devil hunter called Dante who is badass and transverse through a numberDevil May Cry is a superb hack and slash action game that kept me entertained throughout its campaign. The graphics are great with nicely detailed character models and textures. The atmosphere is very hellish; dark, cold and sometimes chilly and scary. DMC offers the player a chance to play as a half devil, half human devil hunter called Dante who is badass and transverse through a number of levels - or missions - mostly hacking and slashing his way through hoards of enemies using his trusty sword and ranged weapons which seems simple enough. I love the way that you play as this near invincible character blowing everyone to bits, shooting unlimited grenade launcher rounds and the fact that you're in control of a powerful character (although you can still die). The frame rate is pretty stable and that's a good achievement as there can be a lot happening at once on screen. Combat is fast paced and flows smoothly as you hack and slash with a good selection of combos to learn which keeps the gameplay fresh.These combos are very accessible as you mostly only use the circle button to slash your sword. This is a game in which the controls are great but I do find the fact that the jump button is the triangle button and the cross button is the action button; I would have thought that it would have been the other way round but you'll get used to it. There are a couple of diversions from the excellent over the top action in which Dante may need to grab an item and bring it to a specific place. There are a variety of enemies to fight and their design fits in the dark horrifying world. Some enemies do require a bit of strategy to defeat as you can't just simply demolish them by pressing circle. To mix into the gameplay, Dante has got a couple of items to help out. Holy Water will grant Dante the ability to destroy every enemy on screen at that time - or take a chunk of a bosses health bar off, and Vital Star restores Dante's health. To stay alive and deal more damage, it's recommended that you would use them in combat. An excellent action game should have some tough as nails boss battles and thankfully, this game has just that. Each has their own attack pattern and require patience to take down. Dante has access to the "devil trigger." When Dante has enough devil trigger (or what ever you call them) symbols, he can go into a devil like state for a brief moment and deal more damage and take little damage himself. I find this awesome when you gain access to this. They are really fun to fight and are the highlight of the game, especially the final boss fight which will go down as the most EPIC boss fight I have encountered. The music - OMG - is awesome with a mixture of techno and orchestra while your battling through; the bosses have their own unique music which are superb to listen to. DMC uses a life system where if you die, you lose a life. The game gives you a chance to save your progress if you complete a mission. Fair enough but if you lose all of your lives, you have to reload your previously saved game which is a pain as it takes a couple of seconds to reload your saved data. Another problem is the camera can be a pain in the arse as it can't be adjusted and it can point in a direction where you don't want it to point; sometimes it can get you killed as off screen as you maybe hit by a projectile or lunge attack that you didn't see coming. Finally, even though there are 5 main bosses in the game, you have to fight 4 of them 3 times on 3 separate confrontations and each confrontation only offers very minor alterations to how they attack so it can get quite repetitive having to fight just one boss 3 times.
    DMC is an excellent hack and slash action game which is easy to play but tough as nails. Buy it as it's very cheap pre-owned now on PlayStation 2.
  77. Oct 3, 2010
    This game was very refreshing when it came out, very few game had the style and flair this game came packed with. Too bad so many developers have tried to copy this formula unsuccessfully and degenerated the genre over the years.
  78. Aug 7, 2011
    This is one of the best PS2 games out there, a must play, the graphics are great, and the soundtrack is can be haunting at times, and the controls are spot on, and if your looking for a real challenge play this on the harder difficulties and your in for one challenging time, it's fairly short it can be beat in about 4-5 hours on the easiest difficulty, but during that time your completelyThis is one of the best PS2 games out there, a must play, the graphics are great, and the soundtrack is can be haunting at times, and the controls are spot on, and if your looking for a real challenge play this on the harder difficulties and your in for one challenging time, it's fairly short it can be beat in about 4-5 hours on the easiest difficulty, but during that time your completely immersed in this cool experience, combat is fast and fun, you have swords, guns, and demonic powers at your disposal to fight your enemies, and the game does a good job at steadily introducing new enemies and weapons, and it shakes things up from the traditional third person levels by adding some first person underwater levels, and some on the rails shooting segments, and has one awesome 3 part final boss fight, my only complaints are that the platforming sections are overly frustrating, and that it can sometimes be hard to figure out where your supposed to go or what your supposed to do when you get there, but this is still a must play, definitely one of the best PS2 games you'll play. Expand
  79. Jul 7, 2013
    No one ever made a game like this, best adventure game EVER. It was a new game in a new era, NAMCO with this Dante you tried to create a DEVIL but you didn't notice that you were creating a GOD.
  80. Apr 23, 2012
    One of the best game that PS2 can offer. Cool story, good characters and a awesome soundtrack. The graphics is like a game for PS1 and the gameplay has some bugs.
  81. Jun 29, 2012
    In earlier stages this game was Re4. When you play the game you can see the similarities. Isn't that cool! Anyway, this was one of the first A-list titles to be released for PS2. The premise is similar to the Resident Evil series, but streamlined. The game features fixed camera angles, spooky fantasized environments, keys and switches, and lots of stylish acton. Dante is a bad ass and I'mIn earlier stages this game was Re4. When you play the game you can see the similarities. Isn't that cool! Anyway, this was one of the first A-list titles to be released for PS2. The premise is similar to the Resident Evil series, but streamlined. The game features fixed camera angles, spooky fantasized environments, keys and switches, and lots of stylish acton. Dante is a bad ass and I'm sure this game started the 3rd person action trend on PS2 (God of War, etc). If you haven't played it you are missing out. Expand
  82. Oct 22, 2012
    "Devil May Cry" is cited as one of the most influential video games of all time. Released 11 years ago, it marked the beginning of a sub-genre of action titles with an emphasis on fast-paced, stylized combat. Sony's "God of War" and Team Ninja's "Ninja Gaiden" are two games that borrowed much from DMC. Originally planned as a "Resident Evil" installment, "Devil May Cry" casts players as"Devil May Cry" is cited as one of the most influential video games of all time. Released 11 years ago, it marked the beginning of a sub-genre of action titles with an emphasis on fast-paced, stylized combat. Sony's "God of War" and Team Ninja's "Ninja Gaiden" are two games that borrowed much from DMC. Originally planned as a "Resident Evil" installment, "Devil May Cry" casts players as Dante, a demon hunter armed with a giant sword and twin-pistols. Approached by a mysterious woman named Trish, Dante accepts a job offer to prevent the return of the demon emperor Mundus. The game mainly takes place inside a Gothic castle filled with supernatural monsters and puzzle rooms. In that sense, DMC resembles a "Castlevania" game as well as "Resident Evil". But the extreme difficulty and fast, stylish action is what really sets it apart. This is a Capcom production that ranks up with "Mega Man", "Street Fighter II" and "Resident Evil" as one of the company's best games. A true classic. Expand
  83. Oct 31, 2014
    The game that started it all. Style and combat all in a small package. Devil May Cry took the Hack and Slash and Action genre and turned it up to 11.

Originally considered a spinoff of the Resident Evil series, it became bigger after E3 and was announced as its own series. It follows the Devil Hunter; Dante as he tries to find the truth out behind his mothers murder. Now a recently

Now a recently bought the HD collection pack and some of the combat didn't age quite as well as my nostalgia goggles would of liked to remember, but it was also released in 2001, that is 13 years ago, but still the game play is channeling and rewarding.

As Dante you have a Devil Arm (sword/melee weapon) and gun at your disposal at all times. The guns have unlimited ammo, and its because hes a devil himself of course! You'll need both as you cut your way though hordes of demons and bosses to reach your final goal.

Combat is simple (compared to its sequels) but gratifying. You'll execute combos and get ranked on combat on a ranking system D-S. At the end of each chapter you will get a final rank on combos, time and damage take with score reduction on items used. This was brand new and gave a huge amount of replay value to the game, always wanting to go back and do that one chapter better or faster. Later games in the series actually had leader boards so that you could match yourself to other people on the internet to see how well you did. This took a single playthou game to multiple playthous easily.

Bosses are amazing, but can get repetitive as you see the multiple times throughout the game before you're finally able to take them down. Also on later difficulties you may see them even more often depending on how long it takes you to defeat each boss.

Characters in this game is amazing. Dante is a total badass. Hes a bit more serious in the first game then in 3 or 4, but he still will have his witty remarks. Trish who resembles your mother is pretty mysterious, you wont find out much about her until later on in the game.

Environment and enemy design is dark and unique. You'll find yourself fighting anything for marionettes to shadows and everything in between. They did a good job with the variety of the enemies. The final battle is breathe taking and its in a multipart fight.

Overall this is an amazing game, a must play for any action fans.
  84. Aug 18, 2015
    Jackpot! Whew, for a second I thought the protagonist was going to be named 'Tony'... Dante it is. Thank God!
    I have nothing to say about this game, bosses are hard, yet rewarding. Regular demons are tough as well. The main protagonist is a treat to be controlling as he is both humorous and powerful. The only reason I will not be giving this game a perfect score is because uhhhh... Resident Evil reborn (Story). The lack of a compelling story is this game's only let-down. The style meter is certainly unique and rewarding while the combat and the upgrading system are a world on their own. Overall this is an excellent game and I would recommend it to anyone, fan or not of the genre. 9/10. Excellent Game!
  85. Jul 14, 2011
    A devil Hunter that never gets touched by any means? well thats Dante, he's a badass, and kills with skills and style. The story is simple, with a lot of fun, the combos feels solid and responsive. I wish they do a HD remake for the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360.
  86. Feb 12, 2014
    Great style, with fun , if somewhat dumb battling. One of these easy to play tough to master type games. Alot of games try to be cool and fail. This one doesn't
  87. Jul 30, 2013
    Great 3rd person RPG game. Reminds me a little like final fantasy.. 10/10 for entire series. Its not a hair pulling game but more like a "tough looking game" but once you play it, so easy and fun once you get the touch.
  88. Mar 29, 2013
    Absolutely fun, fun, fun! I played this when it first came out and it has to be one of the best games I played on the PS2. The character were unique and well design, the combat full of action, enemies varied and also very well designed. The game did have some cheezy dialogue, but I found it charming and suited the tone of the game. The game could be a bit hard at times, especially on theAbsolutely fun, fun, fun! I played this when it first came out and it has to be one of the best games I played on the PS2. The character were unique and well design, the combat full of action, enemies varied and also very well designed. The game did have some cheezy dialogue, but I found it charming and suited the tone of the game. The game could be a bit hard at times, especially on the higher difficulties (but I guess that was the point of them.) Overall: Devil May Cry is a game for the ages and gave birth to a truly icon character. Expand
  89. Mar 28, 2013
    I found this game at a used game store for 5 dollars. And I have to say, I got more than my money's worth. This game is amazing. I haven't played any of the others yet, but I look forward to. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are outstanding for the time, the story could be a bit better, the characters (Dante in particular) are pretty likable. The only problems I have with this game areI found this game at a used game store for 5 dollars. And I have to say, I got more than my money's worth. This game is amazing. I haven't played any of the others yet, but I look forward to. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are outstanding for the time, the story could be a bit better, the characters (Dante in particular) are pretty likable. The only problems I have with this game are the camera angle switches constantly and can get in the way a lot, most of the time the enemies are either too easy or too hard (I was on the lava crab thing on normal difficulty and I blew hours just trying to kill it but I couldn't so I switched to Easy difficulty and i hit him maybe 3 times and he died. Now it's way too easy and I can't switch back to normal), and it's pretty dark (but that's probably just a problem with my TV). It's a great game. I'd say it's still worth $20, maybe $25. If you're wanting your first DMC game, get this, not the new one. Expand
  90. May 20, 2014
    The best shooting & sword fighting hybrid I have ever seen while also shows some of the best graphics and character models of the year. It's music fits perfectly with the game's style then the acting it's simple but the cut scenes are amazing. The only things that I hate is the part that you go to space which is bad and the camera ruined some moments and I also wish that I could have beenThe best shooting & sword fighting hybrid I have ever seen while also shows some of the best graphics and character models of the year. It's music fits perfectly with the game's style then the acting it's simple but the cut scenes are amazing. The only things that I hate is the part that you go to space which is bad and the camera ruined some moments and I also wish that I could have been a little longer. My review to the Fifth best game of the year 9.0005. Expand
  91. ERB
    Sep 5, 2013
    The Devil May Cry series do have many games but until now this game still stands to be the best among them.And not just that,this game also stands to be one of the best PS2 games out there.The story line of this game is really impressive and even the game play is cool.And its graphics for a 2001 game is also good.An incredibly cool game and I just love it!Yeah probably one of the bestThe Devil May Cry series do have many games but until now this game still stands to be the best among them.And not just that,this game also stands to be one of the best PS2 games out there.The story line of this game is really impressive and even the game play is cool.And its graphics for a 2001 game is also good.An incredibly cool game and I just love it!Yeah probably one of the best games out there. Expand
  92. Jul 7, 2013
    Devil May Cry is one of the best PS2 games I have played. It is challenging, entertaining, and crazy. The game is full of different kinds of combos and weapons that you can swap mid-battle, for even crazier combos. Dante doesn't get much dialogue in this which is upsetting because he proves that he is an awesome character in the 3rd game. I reccomend this to anybody with a PS2 or PS3.
  93. Jul 20, 2013
    Devil May Cry is one of those games that you can not stop playing, especially if you are a lover of style games Hack and Slash, I often had difficulty completing some missions, which are the chapters of the game, I can say that I love the Saga Devil May Cry.O game has a gambling frenetic and spectacular soundtracks, which reminds me of the Resident Evil series of games, which brought uponDevil May Cry is one of those games that you can not stop playing, especially if you are a lover of style games Hack and Slash, I often had difficulty completing some missions, which are the chapters of the game, I can say that I love the Saga Devil May Cry.O game has a gambling frenetic and spectacular soundtracks, which reminds me of the Resident Evil series of games, which brought upon me a sense of enormous Nostalgia.Esse without doubt is the list of the best games I ever play in my vida.Eu I enjoyed the characters, especially the Dante that without doubt is one of the strongest characters of the game world, and very charismatic, which marked the games in style Hack and Slash. Now back to the part where I said:'' Devil May Cry is one of those games that you can not stop playing,'' I said it exactly because it has great replay factor, which you can complete the game in many difficulties, and the game has a huge arsenal of weapons and abilities, you can acquire throughout the game, to kill more monsters to be removed they drop orbs. And that's why for me this game deserves note 10/10 Expand
  94. Jun 1, 2015
    Played it for the first time just now (2015) so hard to rate it fairly. Would've been a 9.5 back in it's day, but even today I'd still rate it an 8. Great gameplay, boss battles and difficulty. A lot like Ninja Gaiden, the only downside is the annoying fixed camera positions, which can make boss battles that much harder.
  95. Sep 28, 2013
    Un juego clásico que, de seguro, marcó un antes y un después en el mundo de los videojuegos.
    Acción sólida y divertida, gráficos impresionantes para la época y una historia que vale la pena disfrutar
  96. May 8, 2014
    An EPIC game that's worth playing.I remember when I was a kid and starting to play it.The REASON of me Liking sooo much this series ... I just thanks to DMC1 & DMC3 but especially DMC1
  97. Jan 11, 2015
    perfect gameplay, the soundtrack will touch you in the soul. there are no words to describe this game only those who play the game will realize how much is good.
  98. Mar 22, 2015
    Devil May Cry gives us the story after Devil may cry 3, Dante embarks on a quest to revenge his twin brother Vergil, and his mothers death by the hands of Mundus, after an anonymous tip by a mysterious girl named Trish. Upon entering the games main level, Dante is met with considerable odds of demonic foes, upping the approach to the lord of the demon world Mundus.
  99. Jul 2, 2015
    This game is, as far as action beat-em-up titles go, a fantastic game. It's worth noting that, despite what I say in this review, this game is worth buying and playing. However, most consumers know this, so I'm going to point out a few of the game's flaws, and what people should be prepared for before buying this game. I will often compare this game to Resident Evil 4 in my review, for theThis game is, as far as action beat-em-up titles go, a fantastic game. It's worth noting that, despite what I say in this review, this game is worth buying and playing. However, most consumers know this, so I'm going to point out a few of the game's flaws, and what people should be prepared for before buying this game. I will often compare this game to Resident Evil 4 in my review, for the reason that DMC started off as RE4 in development, but became its own game when Capcom thought that it was straying too far from what Resident Evil traditionally was. Despite this, DMC uses many of the same stylistic choices as RE4, making any similarities notable (especially considering that both games are amazing). The fighting system is fast and easily picked up. I love that I was able to play this game without many forced tutorials. However, this game should be played with the mindset of playing a Resident Evil game, meaning that you should CHECK EVERYTHING. In the first room of the initial castle area, there was a door that, judging by a glowing aura, appeared to be sealed. When you approach it, a hand comes out of the wall and attempts to damage you. So, it took me a while to figure out that you had to interact with the door and use red souls to unlock it. This is where a short tutorial would have been nice. Furthermore, the game controls can feel cumbersome when it comes to generally moving around. Because, in each room, there are certain boundaries where, once you walk across them, the ENTIRE camera angle shifts. This is arbitrary in most cases, but it can become quite an annoyance when trying to complete timed puzzles where there are several sudden camera shifts, as you often end up accidentally reversing direction and going back to the previous camera angle, causing you to fail reaching the end of the puzzle before time runs out. This is where Resident Evil 4 is superior, having a mix between third and first person. This allowed the camera to shift smoothly and comfortably. However, it should be said that DMC made that sacrifice in exchange for faster, more comfortable controls, where RE4 could feel stiff, despite the camera. As for progression, the game is divided into individual chapters, each consisting of a single short mission that usually has one objective, whereas Resident Evil 4 was divided into chapters that consisted of multiple strings of objectives. With this aspect, Devil May Cry would have been better off using save points scattered throughout the world, rather than only being able to save at the end of each mission. This can break the flow of play, but is otherwise harmless. The main character, Dante, is cool calm and tough, but is generally disconnected. If you weren't playing as him, it'd be hard to care about him. What you do know about his past (which you're told through bulky exposition) only serves the purpose of giving him some motivation, but oftentimes it seems unused. When Dante comes across any demon working for the main villain (who you know killed his mother....no that's not a spoiler, you find out pretty early on), Dante seems more concerned with acting cool and cocky, rather than angry and vengeful, as one might expect. Most of the story and characters operate on a throwaway, cliched plot that offers little. So, DMC should not be played for its story, but rather for its amazing gameplay. Expand

1. With the exception of a rather throwaway plot, absolutely no part of Devil May Cry escapes the realm of coolness superior. [Nov 2001, p.152]
  2. A groundbreaking title that takes the genre in a new and exciting direction. Capcom has once again managed to breathe life into a genre that had been stuck in something of a rut of late.
  3. I don't say such things lightly, but this is easily one of the best games I've ever played. Everywhere I look, I find more things I want to praise about this title.