6.8

1. Nov 2, 2013
    A chore, for the most part. excessive FMV (which is welcome, thanks to the uneven gameplay) Repetitive, dark and gloomy levels populated by a very small pool of annoying enemy types with some very nasty AI scripting many simply spam knockdown attacks at the player (get up, knock down ad infinitum). Controls are poor but serviceable but the main problem is the camera and auto lock-on system, which the player needs to fight as well as enemies. Only of interest to the FFVII fanatic, Dirge of Cerberus is both an unnecessary extension of Vincent's backstory from FFVII and a wrecking ball that ruins some core characters of that game (Hojo is reduced to a two-dimensional cackling lunatic), and the less said about the new characters the better. Though it is nice to see the gang again, with exception to Yuffie, Reeve (Cait Sith) and Cid, their screen time is very small, the FMV is the game's greatest asset, and is of equal quality to the animation in Advent Children. In fact there are so many cutscenes and pointlessly easy sections Square Enix probably should have just made an OVA instead. Satisfying conclusion, though, but not a keeper. Expand
  2. Sep 26, 2012
    I feel like I'm biased since Vincent has always been my favorite Final Fantasy character, but this game was very fun. I've never been too into the Final Fantasy universe, and I think I love this game so much because it doesn't play like normal Final Fantasy does. There's no turn-based fighting, it's all just run in there and kill everything. The storyline was complicated and hard to follow (I've always felt Square Enix games have overly-convoluted plots) but the graphics are gorgeous and the soundtrack is great. My biggest complaint with the game is the difficulty level. Even on expert mode, it's still a very easy game and always feels a little too short for me. But, other than that, it's a very good and fun game. Expand
  3. Mar 23, 2013
    This game is an realy brilliant game.
    This game is about Vincent Valentine and that's why it's look's soo different as FF game.
    I hope Square-Enix will release the HD version of Dirge of Cerberus for ps3, Xbox360,WiiU and PC.
  4. Sep 28, 2010
    What can I say about this game that hasn't been said... it's just weak, though Square Enix made an effort to try something new, this is one of those time that they missed the mark... way off. I don't need to express much, the gameplay is plausible but weak, the graphic is stunning (the only good thing), the plot... well, it's FF 7, when did the plot ever dissapoint. Cameo characters in fun, Caith Sith I love YOU!!!... well, it's just a mixed review, don't expect much. Expand
  5. Sep 16, 2010
    Ooh sumthing different this time! HA! Dirge is better with a keyboard and mouse IMO. I didnt like this game that much jus clearing it for the sake of a FF fan. However this game isnt grand at all. Sure the cg gets everyone excited but at sum point i find myself in circles. If this is ur 1st ff game the hard bosses will chase u away from sqaure! Shelke! lol. Impossible to get perfects here. Nice story . Cant belive what a high user score this game got. Id probably give this a 58 Expand
  6. Sep 22, 2010
    Dirge Of Cerberus is a great game if you approach it with an open mind. It looks great and, once you get used to it, it's a lot of fun to play. If your a fan of FF VII and are in need of some fan service or are a fan of console shooters you should check this out. If your not that fond of the FF VII universe or really can't stand console shooters you might want to pass it up for a real RPG or a real shooter. While the main story is very short it is also rather good and if your wanting more to do after the bonus missions are enough to keep you going for a while after. Just don't expect to be playing it for weeks or months like most games that have Final Fantasy in the title. Expand
  7. Jan 27, 2011
    Un producto dirigido casi exclusivamente para los amantes del juego original y del universo/personaje en que se basa.
    Técnicamente raya a un buen nivel, pero jugablemente se dedica a pasearnos por lineales escenarios, hasta ver la escena de turno; que por otra parte, es lo que te mantiene pegado la mayor parte del tiempo.
  8. Aug 20, 2011
    Simply forget about the painful gameplay, and focus on the story, overall is just a repetitive, bland, disappointing part of the FFVII series. This is a most play for fans of the series, seriously in terms of story , but those factors. Beauty(graphics) comes with pain(everything).
  9. Mar 11, 2013
    SE nowadays struggles to make good RPGs, let alone good action games. The game has horrible controls and a ridiculous story.
  10. Sep 11, 2013
    An OK spin-off title that is altogether completely forgettable. If it wasn't for the FF 7 affiliation I doubt this game would have seen any sales. At it's core it is a generic third person action shooter. The combat is bland, the gameplay is bland, the story is uninteresting. Overall: It isn't a bad game as it technically delivers a functioning game. But it is so unbelievably bland I get sleepy just thinking about it. But, at the very least, Vincent is still cool and it's always a pleasure to see him on screen. Expand
  11. Aug 24, 2013
    Perhaps the single worst example of cutscence and gameplay segregation in history. Vincent in cutscenes can jump six stories and take down an attack helicopter without needing to reload. Vincent in game plinks away at footsoldiers and needs keycards to bypass a tall fence. Playing through it, you'll encounter more boring cliches than you can shake a stick at: waves and waves of enemies, shamelessly-recycled boss fights, exploding barrels, moronic AI, forced turret sections, forced stealth sections, the works. It's slow, boring, and not worth your time.
    How about that story, then? Well, it's hardly better. It's heavily connected to the plot of Final Fantasy VII, but at the same time, it has very little to do with it. Hojo's alive now, there's a whole bunch of stuff about Deepground and the Tsvets that was never even implied in the original, and while most of the cast shows up at some point, they're generally just there for fanservice. The ones who get focus, primarily, are Vincent, Yuffie, Cait Sith, and Cid. Cid is generally okay, but Yuffie and Cait Sith were terrible in the first game, and have only gotten more annoying with time. Vincent himself... well, you know how people claim to hate Cloud because 'all he does is mope,' but it's not true because the guy actually did go through some pretty meaty development in the original game? Vincent really does do nothing but mope. He has no goals, no agency, no likes or dislikes, most of his dialogue is ellipses. At times, he has flickers of a romance, but he approaches it with the same monotone dullardry that he approaches everything else. He's basically a brick that shoots things. You could replace him with a gun turret on wheels and keep most of the plot intact. Well, you'd lose the bits where he turns into hilarious-looking monsters, but that's not a bug, it's a feature.
    About the nicest thing I can say about this game is that the FMV cutscenes look very good, and the soundtrack is quite nice. Watch them on YouTube if that piques your interest. If you must own every single appearance by the FFVII characters and have Vincent Valentine tattooed on your chest, then I'd say you might be able to enjoy yourself. Otherwise... no.
  12. Mar 29, 2013
    Gameplay and features are mediocre. However, if you were a huge FF7 fan, this game expands greatly on the FF7 universe. It takes place after the events of the movie. The story picks up almost painfully slow, but once the twist hits, you will find yourself flung back into an extremely in depth conspiracy with an excellent story. It is unfortunate that this amazing story of the FF7 world was delivered in a game that fails to deliver. This game receives a bad score from me for the actual gameplay, however if you liked FF7 and if you liked Vincent, you may want to try to experience this story before the gamplay becomes to outdated and unbearable. Expand
  13. ERB
    Jul 30, 2013
    This game is one of the best Final Fantasy Games I have ever played.
  14. May 11, 2014
    I know what you're all thinking: "What was Square Enix on when they decided to turn Final Fantasy 7 into a shooter?" Well I can't say for certain; but with that idea turning out to be as awesome as this, I want some.
    Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII is a very unique game among Squenix's other titles, in that despite having Final Fantasy in the title, the thing plays next to nothing
    like a FF game. Why is that? Because it's a third-person-shooter. Yes, you read that right.
    So right off the bat, you'll be able to tell that this is going to be a terrible FF game; but does it work as a simple shooter game? The answer, surprisingly, is yes. The gameplay is very smooth, it controls pretty dang well, you get a variety of guns that you can upgrade to increase damage, and it really does feel satisfying to play.
    That is to say that doesn't mean that FF7 fans can't enjoy it too, as the game still has a few FF mechanics fans will be familiar with. For instance, one can also fire different types of magic at enemies instead of bullets, picking up potions and ether regains your lost health and mako points, and a special 'limit breaker' item that turns you into a large beast, refills your health bar, and fires limitless magical homing-projectiles. Presentation-wise, it still has that Square Enix feel to it. That being said, there are still a few issues that I feel should be addressed with the positives. First of all: The traditional Square Enix cinematics; they're all there, and they are gorgeous. They look absolutely incredible, as can be expected from this company. Even the cutscenes with the in-game character models are pretty well done, never once do the characters look unalive or completely devoid of emotion (well, one is, but that's the point of her character). However, you're probably gonna want to get used to those cutscenes as there are a LOT of them. They really do come in abundance, and there will be times when you just want to move on to the next stage. Not to mention the really annoying part of the cutscenes where every single time the scene cuts to a different location, you have to go through a load-time. They only last 3-5 seconds, but there are a LOT of them.
    Luckily for this game, the story is pretty good; it's not as great as the original FF7, but it still has plenty of emotion and strong narrative in it. The story focuses on the game's protagonist, Vincent Valentine; who many FF7 fans will remember as the cool-looking dark, broody guy with the long red cape, golden claw-gauntlet and triple-barreled gun. The plot revolves around Vincent learning the truth about his past, of the chaotic power stored within him, and how he must tame and use it to save the world when an evil organization arises to awaken an all-powerful being to purge the planet of all life. Several other popular characters make a return in this game, namely the over-confident and perky Yuffie Kisaragi, the wacky cat-puppet Cait Sith, and the loud-mouthed cigar-chompin' Cid Highwind, who aide Vincent on his adventure. Cloud, Tifa and Barret are there too, but they really don't show up that much; but honestly, I was okay with that because Cloud's story has already been told. This is Vincent's story, it's his time to shine and his turn to be the hero. And lord almighty does he make a badass hero!
    Back on subject, another staple of FF games are the beautiful locales, which are sadly absent in this game. Lovely sunny fields, bright neon theme parks and pretty crystal caves, all gone in favor of dark canyons, warehouses and sewers. Typical generic FPS locations. So yeah, that's kind of a downer. Another thing worth noting is that the stages are all pretty linear. Personally I don't mind this as linearity in games never really bothered me, but this is Final Fantasy, a series well-known for its open-world environments; so I can perfectly understand why that would turn a lot of people off. The length of the game isn't very spectacular; it's undeniably short for a FF game. Now that I think about it, it was pretty short for a shooter as well. The music ranges from really awesome to just okay; and the difficulty is hardly impressive. For the most part, DoC: FF7 is very easy. I only remember dying once on average difficulty, during the second-to-last boss. You're probably going to find more satisfying challenge on the harder setting.
    But other than that, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII is still worth a try. The gameplay is fun, the story is told well, and the final stage is just so damn epic. If you compare it to the original FF7, you're not going to have much fun. But if you treat it like its own thing, want a continuation of the FF7 storyline, or are just in the mood for a fun little shooter, I highly recommend picking this up if you can find it, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  15. Apr 4, 2014
    This game is more like a huge movie, full of cutscenes , and scripted scenes. If you are into complex storytelling and a fan of the FF universe, this game will treat you right. But if you want more ,for example like playing the actual game , this is not for you. The actual game, where you get to control the character is terrible. Not only is it repetitive, but ugly too. the level design is as low quality as it gets, and rarely will entertain you. The game tries to reward you with the cutscenes, sort of trying to make up for the gameplay. There are parts in it, where you wish you were Japanese, so you would not get weirded out, like when some bosses are making those totally unnecessary evil laughs, or when things just sort of happen without explanation , and the outcome repetitively changes just to keep you from wanting to skip the movie parts. This game will entertain you, but if the creators would have payed more attention to the non-movie elements of the game, this should have been an awesome title. Expand

For those not as blinded by fandom, this game proves to be just a ploy for money and a demonstration of slow degradation of the Final Fantasy series.
  2. Mediocre at best gameplay coupled with graphical bliss and a lengthy story guarantee huge sales, but you’d be much better off waiting a month and getting FF XII as this is no RPG and it’s no picnic. [JPN Import]
  3. It's a unique take on the FPS, RPG and action genres, but at the same time Dirge of Cerberus doesn’t execute either of these genres extremely well. If you’re willing to be patient with the game’s controls Dirge of Cerberus offers a new experience and more background on the Final Fantasy VII universe. [JPN Import]