8.7

1. Feb 3, 2014
    Deceptively simple in appearance, (an old-school RPG for old-school's sake) Dragon Quest is an unforgiving beast. There are save points only in towns, throws random battles around like confetti and demands that the player grind a level or two before moving from one quest location to the next. Can be cruelly unfair, frustrating, and annoying, but also rewarding.
  2. Apr 23, 2011
    Dragon Quest VIII looks great, feels refreshing, and isn't just another anime-influenced turn-based RPG. Pros: Fantastic graphics; colorful visuals; variety of characters and secrets. Cons: The storyline is a hit-or-miss; a tad bit long of a quest for some gamers.
  3. Aug 5, 2012
    A great ps2 game, probably one of the fewest on the console who had an interesting story with unexpected twists, a classic yet always fresh combat system and, most importantly, an actual world map to explore by sea o flight : I really loved to play this game and gave so much fun until I finished. However I can't simply put a 10 for one big reason (at least to me): this game is insanelyA great ps2 game, probably one of the fewest on the console who had an interesting story with unexpected twists, a classic yet always fresh combat system and, most importantly, an actual world map to explore by sea o flight : I really loved to play this game and gave so much fun until I finished. However I can't simply put a 10 for one big reason (at least to me): this game is insanely and extremely HARD....without a guide. That's right, I used a guide for this game, but I want to mention that the first time I played this game, and reached about 70% of the game, I didn't use the guide but I barely managed to pass some bosses: some of them require so much preparation that you won't be able to figure out right away, unless you die often or unless, yes, you use a guide, and the preparation mentioned isn't about levels or else it would be easy...actually it wouldn't, because griding normal enemies is out of the question: you will NEED to grind one specific enemy (metal slimes) in order to level up properly and, in order to beat one, you need either a crit or a ton of luck...but you know what it's best to kill them only with a guide. Again. But even with that, it's not always about the levels, it's usually about the skills: the first time I used different weapons (sword-hammer-bow-whip), but this setup wasn't actually any good because most of the bosses were extremely tough and my weapon skills were completely useless. On the second playthrough however, using the specified set "it" told me (Lance-axe-sword-whip), the game became soooo easy , mainly because these skills are the ONLY ones that are actually any good, while others MIGHT or MAYBE could work (scythe, for instance, is good for stealing items, but axe is far better because it decreases defense...isn't that a huge difference?): this means that there isn't much freedom in the skills and if you fail at putting those points (which is easy because you WON'T know what skill you get. Without a guide that is), you might make an easy boss fight into a nightmare. I'm sorry to say this but this game was one of those that, without a guide, was almost an nightmare to play and even though you CAN play without a guide you might have some problems to play and you could encounter some hard parts that, without a proper preparation (or a walkthrough) will be hard. However, even with this (personal) flaw, in my opinion this game is still valuable and still a good piece of jrpg that showed what the ps2 was capable of. With or without guide, it's worth a try. Expand
  4. Mar 1, 2013
    Dragon Quest VIII has a traditional turn based battle system, an orchestral soundtrackm and good voice acting (Yangus). But most of all i like the world in which DQ VIII takes place.
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    The best Dragon Quest ever made. An ageless masterpiece, probably the best RPG for PS2. It's a gorgeous cel-shaded open world, nearly a decade later it still looks luscious and vibrant. My only complaints are that only a select few armours appear wearable when the character equips them, also the NPCs just run around in circles instead of having daily schedules. The day/night cycle isThe best Dragon Quest ever made. An ageless masterpiece, probably the best RPG for PS2. It's a gorgeous cel-shaded open world, nearly a decade later it still looks luscious and vibrant. My only complaints are that only a select few armours appear wearable when the character equips them, also the NPCs just run around in circles instead of having daily schedules. The day/night cycle is beautiful aesthetically & it influences NPCs and monsters. You can collect monsters for your monster team, which reminds me very much of Pokémon games. A ton of content, exquisite polish, unbelievable that this is a PS2 game, truly squeezed each drop out of the system's capabilities. Expand
  6. Mar 16, 2012
    This game is FANTASTIC! I really wish Metacritic had a 0-100 rating scale, since I don't give out perfect scores, but this game deserves a 97. I have been a fan ever since I beat the original Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) on NES when I was a kid. I then beat 2 and 3, and forgot about the series until now. I'd heard good things about this game, but I had no idea what I was in for when IThis game is FANTASTIC! I really wish Metacritic had a 0-100 rating scale, since I don't give out perfect scores, but this game deserves a 97. I have been a fan ever since I beat the original Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) on NES when I was a kid. I then beat 2 and 3, and forgot about the series until now. I'd heard good things about this game, but I had no idea what I was in for when I picked it up. The graphics (for the PS2) and music are utterly astounding. The characters fit in the game, and can be quite hilarious at times. Everything in this game is highly polished, and as good as it possibly can be. I beat this game over the course of a few weeks, and it wasn't until I was finished that I realized I put in over 80 hours on this game. Some games take a long time, and you really notice it. THIS game, however, takes a long time, and you're none the wiser. Isn't that exactly what we want in video games? Brand new worlds so immersive that we forget about ours? Expand
  7. Oct 13, 2014
    Great game! One of the games i look foward to play again - would love to see HD remake on PS Vita.
    When playing this game You can almost feel the atmosphere of great adventure in the air + i loved concept of collecting monsters to add them to Your team. And the alchemy was also fun. Only true flaw for me was the idea of silent main character.
    I sold my PS2 and now this is the one game
    I sold my PS2 and now this is the one game that I soo miss.. This and Odins Sphere.
    Graphics 9/10
    Sound 9/10
    Gameplay 9/10
    Verdict: It doesnt get full 10, because it hasnt got that good story, it makes You fight silly thing like slimes, but its really so damn fun and You get to appreciate this title after You finish it and when You think of this game You feel that You miss that something what You had when You played it..
  8. Mar 15, 2012
    Dragon quest 8 is an ambitious game, Audio/video is incredible, but the gameplay... It feels like it's a game from the early 90's with modern graphic. You can save only in churches, and I mean, only! This means that you have to explore whole dungeons, and the more you go forward the more you are afraid to die and do it all over again. This would have not been an issue if combat was fasterDragon quest 8 is an ambitious game, Audio/video is incredible, but the gameplay... It feels like it's a game from the early 90's with modern graphic. You can save only in churches, and I mean, only! This means that you have to explore whole dungeons, and the more you go forward the more you are afraid to die and do it all over again. This would have not been an issue if combat was faster paced, instead we can spend lots of minutes for the lesser battles, and the reward is... well few money and who-knows-how-much exp.
    Yes because if you want to know how close you are to leveling, you have to go back to a church and ask to a priest. when I wanted to grind I had to take pen and paper and calculate the exp after every battle. Not exactly user friendly.
  9. Jun 29, 2011
    Great, GREAT RPG. While Dragon Quest VIII does not re-invent the wheel, it definitely has perfected it. It just gets so much right, and it's no surprise considering the creators behind it. The combat is consistently challenging with some awesome boss fights that will really challenge your RPG skills. You absolutely have to pay attention, which is refreshing for an RPG. The story is simpleGreat, GREAT RPG. While Dragon Quest VIII does not re-invent the wheel, it definitely has perfected it. It just gets so much right, and it's no surprise considering the creators behind it. The combat is consistently challenging with some awesome boss fights that will really challenge your RPG skills. You absolutely have to pay attention, which is refreshing for an RPG. The story is simple yet wonderfully told with some touching moments throughout. The graphics, while simple, are carefully crafted with heavy attention to detail. Every room, enemy, and scene is crafted with care. The game is also huge. Lots of secrets, lots to see, lots to do, and a long story to play through. It will take you 60 hours easily to finish the main quest. My only criticism is that the skill system is quite vague. While I enjoy the surprise of finding out that next ability, you never know how many points you need for the next ability or what you're going to get. It really makes planning your party out a bit more arbitrary than I'd prefer. So it's always a shot in the dark when you choose to go with swords versus scythes, but a minor gripe to be sure, when the combat and game play is so expertly done and consistently entertaining. I'm currently doing my second play through and I'm having as much fun as I had the first time through. A true sign of a wonderfully crafted RPG. It's just plain FUN. Expand
  10. May 20, 2012
    My favorite RPG ever. Perfectly made, structured.....everything! You know how you play several games and switch them in and out as your mood strikes you? This is the ONLY game EVER that once I stuck it in I never took it out until the end. I never wanted to play anything else but this for weeks. There is a lot of battles but that's what the Holy Water is for to keep those pesky monstersMy favorite RPG ever. Perfectly made, structured.....everything! You know how you play several games and switch them in and out as your mood strikes you? This is the ONLY game EVER that once I stuck it in I never took it out until the end. I never wanted to play anything else but this for weeks. There is a lot of battles but that's what the Holy Water is for to keep those pesky monsters away when your really just trying to find something. It's got everything you couldever want in there...like Ragu: "It's in there!" Expand
  11. Jan 20, 2012
    Having been a HUGE fan of DQ since the very early 90's, I can say that this is the absolute pinacle of the jrpg. It is a semi-slow grind-fest, but if you're into jrpg's that's probably what you like anyway. A twelve year old obsessed with Skyrim (which is great btw) may find this game terribly boring and unrewarding, and that's okay. This game,despite the cel-shaded graphics was notHaving been a HUGE fan of DQ since the very early 90's, I can say that this is the absolute pinacle of the jrpg. It is a semi-slow grind-fest, but if you're into jrpg's that's probably what you like anyway. A twelve year old obsessed with Skyrim (which is great btw) may find this game terribly boring and unrewarding, and that's okay. This game,despite the cel-shaded graphics was not made for them. It is an homage to DQ's fans, and a spectacular one! Expand
  12. Jun 12, 2011
    Tedious, lame story line, obvious expectations from people you need stuff from ie you have to go out of your way to get a lame item. Unlike the final fantasy series with a balanced level up period, dq8 presses for long level up time or be owned by our nasty sea ocean monsters. The dialogue seems to be read out, majority characters lack emotion in their voice and lack personality. game getsTedious, lame story line, obvious expectations from people you need stuff from ie you have to go out of your way to get a lame item. Unlike the final fantasy series with a balanced level up period, dq8 presses for long level up time or be owned by our nasty sea ocean monsters. The dialogue seems to be read out, majority characters lack emotion in their voice and lack personality. game gets unfairly difficult in a short distance in certain areas which calls for a night at the inn. If a good lvl up is wanted you have to prepare yourself almost a few days of playing ( if you are playing 8 hours a day) to start gaining levels at a good pace due to the building of items that can give you some hope of not starting at a save point again or losing your gold. I dont think anybody would want to spend a day just leveling up. it gets really really boring. Some items are almost completey unused by the hero since he got its effects built in his spell list... lame! Resurrecting a character is more %&$% $&^# rather than a phew. The battle system was abit different with funny monsters and a few unique status effects which i liked. The area design and layout of towns and the surrounding nature was good to look at. Other than that not much positives. just another rpg with the same turn based system. Its nowhere near close to even ffx nor as gripping but it does manage to keep you interested.... that is if you dont get pissed at the level up time you spend then its ok. Not a complete fail and worth the buy at a bargain price. Expand
  13. Mar 13, 2013
    My best Game of ALL TIME, if anyone ever ask me which game I like the most and my answer is THIS. Story 10/10, Gameplay 10/10, music 12/10, graphic 10/10.
  14. Oct 30, 2010
    This game is a masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Jul 25, 2012
    this game just reminded me of how much we pc gamers need good jrpgs, i owned this game on my ps2 and it looks gorgeous now in HD,emulated. the story is great its probably the way lunar the silver star would look like if it was released in 3d ,a complete fun and involving story, great and varied enviroments , its really good! and the psyche up is so cool , the fights and battle system neverthis game just reminded me of how much we pc gamers need good jrpgs, i owned this game on my ps2 and it looks gorgeous now in HD,emulated. the story is great its probably the way lunar the silver star would look like if it was released in 3d ,a complete fun and involving story, great and varied enviroments , its really good! and the psyche up is so cool , the fights and battle system never gets boring, so fun , recommended 1000% Expand
  16. Feb 24, 2014
    This is a world that for 100+ hours will suck you in and won't let go until you're done. Beautiful graphics, extraordinary soundtrack, supreme dialogue and characters and some uber-cult-epic side-quests that it's certain that you will never forget. If you're a fan of classic JRPGs, level-grinding, Akira Toriyama, Piccolo or OUTSTANDING games, then enjoy the journey and never look back.
  17. Jul 23, 2012
    Its a shame that not enough people know about this game, because it is simply phenomenal. I get nostalgic just thinking about it *sniff, but I will try to stomach it while I get through this review. Dragon quest 8 is a very traditional rpg that uses turn-based combat. WAIT ! Before you automatically write this game off as another boring old traditional RPG keep reading this review. DQ8'sIts a shame that not enough people know about this game, because it is simply phenomenal. I get nostalgic just thinking about it *sniff, but I will try to stomach it while I get through this review. Dragon quest 8 is a very traditional rpg that uses turn-based combat. WAIT ! Before you automatically write this game off as another boring old traditional RPG keep reading this review. DQ8's combat system always keeps things fresh, funny, and exciting. You'll have fun level grinding in order to accomplish various tasks and earn money for better weapons. Now as far as the story goes....Its Great! That's all Im gonna say because I don't wan to spoil anything. The music is also excellent in this game and really sets the tone for the adventure your about to embark on. All I can say is that if you haven't played this game before than you need to do it now because its too good to miss! Expand
  18. Apr 18, 2014
    This is the game of my childhood. It is far to amazing for words. Expansive world, amazing characters, and the soundtrack is just breath taking! I have sunk so many hours into this game and I have never regretted it. If you enjoy JRPG's, this is one of the best to play.
  19. Apr 27, 2014
    This game currently holds the title for the ultimate and maybe even the pinnacle of your Dragon warrior (sorry can't help myself) experience. There is no better DQ game in the world today, due to the smashing heart break of DQX and the fun but somewhat just short of the mark DQ9 I recommend playing this game last because...you will be left saddene by the fact that you have no where else toThis game currently holds the title for the ultimate and maybe even the pinnacle of your Dragon warrior (sorry can't help myself) experience. There is no better DQ game in the world today, due to the smashing heart break of DQX and the fun but somewhat just short of the mark DQ9 I recommend playing this game last because...you will be left saddene by the fact that you have no where else to go. A true masterpiece....in ever possible way. Expand
  20. Dec 6, 2011
    This game was my childhood. Between me, my brother and a close friend we logged about 300hrs into this game. I only wish the ps3 would remake this game so I could have no life all over again.
  21. Nov 27, 2014
    To give a basic review of how great this game is I have over 1000 hours of game time including 2 complete play throughs. This RPG ticks all the boxes for the perfect game in it's genre.

1. For the first time in the series’ beleaguered overseas history, the game is going to hook westerners long enough to draw them in past the insane difficulty and into one of the most rewarding, player-loving games of the last decade. [JPN Import; Feb 2005, p.86]
    Dragon Quest VIII may not revolutionize the console RPG genre, but it has done one thing that all the older RPGs have strived to be: it has become the greatest classic RPG experience of all time. [JPN Import]
  3. 10 / 9 / 10 / 10 - 39 platinum [Dec 2004]