8.8

1. ChrisW.
    Dec 6, 2005
    It is an awesome game. It's the most fun rpg I've ever played. The music brings the game to life. I have the music stuck in my head because its so awesome. It's the best Square Enix game yet!
  2. Ciro
    Nov 19, 2005
    If there's one thing the Dragon Quest/Warrior series has never done, it's screw with tradition. Sure, the world is 3D now, a la "Ocarina of Time", except HUGE, and the battle interface has crossed into the Final Fantasy style of being able to see your own characters. But these changes add to the spirit of the game, rather than trying to overpower it. Fans of the series will If there's one thing the Dragon Quest/Warrior series has never done, it's screw with tradition. Sure, the world is 3D now, a la "Ocarina of Time", except HUGE, and the battle interface has crossed into the Final Fantasy style of being able to see your own characters. But these changes add to the spirit of the game, rather than trying to overpower it. Fans of the series will recognize most of the sound effects, and even the title theme, from the early NES games, re-orchestrated from 4bit midi. :) A masterwork, and a must have for any RPG fans who knows there is more to the genre than "Final Fantasy" Expand
  3. BobP.
    Nov 21, 2005
    Incredibly addictive. Everything Dragon Warrior was and more, it lives up to the name far more than DW7. It also seems better than FFXII will be (and definately trumps FFX-2) -- I did not expect that at all.
  4. Jun 29, 2011
    Great, GREAT RPG. While Dragon Quest VIII does not re-invent the wheel, it definitely has perfected it. It just gets so much right, and it's no surprise considering the creators behind it. The combat is consistently challenging with some awesome boss fights that will really challenge your RPG skills. You absolutely have to pay attention, which is refreshing for an RPG. The story is simpleGreat, GREAT RPG. While Dragon Quest VIII does not re-invent the wheel, it definitely has perfected it. It just gets so much right, and it's no surprise considering the creators behind it. The combat is consistently challenging with some awesome boss fights that will really challenge your RPG skills. You absolutely have to pay attention, which is refreshing for an RPG. The story is simple yet wonderfully told with some touching moments throughout. The graphics, while simple, are carefully crafted with heavy attention to detail. Every room, enemy, and scene is crafted with care. The game is also huge. Lots of secrets, lots to see, lots to do, and a long story to play through. It will take you 60 hours easily to finish the main quest. My only criticism is that the skill system is quite vague. While I enjoy the surprise of finding out that next ability, you never know how many points you need for the next ability or what you're going to get. It really makes planning your party out a bit more arbitrary than I'd prefer. So it's always a shot in the dark when you choose to go with swords versus scythes, but a minor gripe to be sure, when the combat and game play is so expertly done and consistently entertaining. I'm currently doing my second play through and I'm having as much fun as I had the first time through. A true sign of a wonderfully crafted RPG. It's just plain FUN. Expand
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    This game was my childhood. Between me, my brother and a close friend we logged about 300hrs into this game. I only wish the ps3 would remake this game so I could have no life all over again.
  6. Jan 20, 2012
    Having been a HUGE fan of DQ since the very early 90's, I can say that this is the absolute pinacle of the jrpg. It is a semi-slow grind-fest, but if you're into jrpg's that's probably what you like anyway. A twelve year old obsessed with Skyrim (which is great btw) may find this game terribly boring and unrewarding, and that's okay. This game,despite the cel-shaded graphics was notHaving been a HUGE fan of DQ since the very early 90's, I can say that this is the absolute pinacle of the jrpg. It is a semi-slow grind-fest, but if you're into jrpg's that's probably what you like anyway. A twelve year old obsessed with Skyrim (which is great btw) may find this game terribly boring and unrewarding, and that's okay. This game,despite the cel-shaded graphics was not made for them. It is an homage to DQ's fans, and a spectacular one! Expand
  7. StephenT.
    Nov 8, 2005
    One of the best classic rpg's I've ever played! Plus it has a nice sense of humor and one evil looking villian! The music, graphics,story, and voice overs are well done. The night and day cycles are perfect and it's fun to explore the large environment. The camera controls are great as well.
  8. MelanieG.
    Nov 17, 2005
    This game is soo fun! You wont be dissapointed.
  9. GaryM.
    Nov 17, 2005
    Great game! Fun! Much, much better that the FF XII demo..
  10. Gabe
    Nov 19, 2005
    Awesome game! It's been a long time since I saw an RPG this good. Music, simple yet engrossing character development system, graphics, the works! The included FFXII demo was a really nice added bonus.
  11. JustinS.
    Dec 13, 2005
    Growing up on Dragon Warror games, I have always loved them. Even the worst Dragon Warrior (I can't seem to find one) game is better than the best Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest VIII is no exception. Extremely fun, and over 90 hours of gameplay with still more left to do. Dragon Warrior VII was the best RPG I had ever played. This may have beaten it.
  12. ArielG.
    Dec 14, 2005
    I can't recommend this game enough! I turned into an RPG fan after playing Final Fantasy X a couple of years ago. And after finishing FF-X, I longed for another game that would take its place. I finally found it! Engaging storylines and superb graphics, great gameplay. When playing it, you can just feel the effort of time and effort it took to develop this game, and it paid off in I can't recommend this game enough! I turned into an RPG fan after playing Final Fantasy X a couple of years ago. And after finishing FF-X, I longed for another game that would take its place. I finally found it! Engaging storylines and superb graphics, great gameplay. When playing it, you can just feel the effort of time and effort it took to develop this game, and it paid off in the end. If you're into RPG games, this is certainly one to get! Expand
  13. NickJ.
    Nov 8, 2006
    Dragon Quest Viii is one of those sleeper hits. This game will give you sex appreal, humor, and an epic adventure all in one package. The graphics are anime done what adds to the game play. The battle system is turned base so it is made up of you hitting the enemy then they hit you. The boss battles are fun and challenging as long as you dont build up to an extreme hight level. After you Dragon Quest Viii is one of those sleeper hits. This game will give you sex appreal, humor, and an epic adventure all in one package. The graphics are anime done what adds to the game play. The battle system is turned base so it is made up of you hitting the enemy then they hit you. The boss battles are fun and challenging as long as you dont build up to an extreme hight level. After you beat the game their are a few area that you can go to and get more of the story which just adds more replay value to this game. You get 4 characters with one being a really sexy girl that does moves to add to the sex appreal. So with final fantasy XII out already and beaten with why dont you go grab this gem and give it a shot highly recommonded. Expand
  14. AlexD.
    Jun 4, 2007
    I'm a big fan of the 'Dragon Quest/Warrior' series, and when i heard about a PS2 version, i was understandably excited. This game did not disappoint me at all. i'm very picky about what games i buy and this is probably one of my top games that i own. Now, my saying this may be confusing since i didn't give it a ten, but then again, i'm not a hardcore gamer. I'm a big fan of the 'Dragon Quest/Warrior' series, and when i heard about a PS2 version, i was understandably excited. This game did not disappoint me at all. i'm very picky about what games i buy and this is probably one of my top games that i own. Now, my saying this may be confusing since i didn't give it a ten, but then again, i'm not a hardcore gamer. The main reasons i didn't give this a ten was that the game doesn't have great replayability and there's not much to be done after the main storyline is completed. Besides that, it's amazing. Expand
  15. Apr 23, 2011
    Dragon Quest VIII looks great, feels refreshing, and isn't just another anime-influenced turn-based RPG. Pros: Fantastic graphics; colorful visuals; variety of characters and secrets. Cons: The storyline is a hit-or-miss; a tad bit long of a quest for some gamers.
  16. Apr 18, 2014
    This is the game of my childhood. It is far to amazing for words. Expansive world, amazing characters, and the soundtrack is just breath taking! I have sunk so many hours into this game and I have never regretted it. If you enjoy JRPG's, this is one of the best to play.
  17. AnonymousMC
    Aug 6, 2008
    This game goes up with Final Fantasy XII and FF IX on my list of favorite RPG's. The sense of scale and high-quality quantity of exploration should be reason enough for any RPG fan to spazz out and obsess over for years to come. The amount of content in this game is just amazing.
  18. AnonymousMC
    May 22, 2009
    ugh...the game was fun....and ugh....it was good but i only got like a lv41 in everyone and i cant pass rhpathorne i just want to kick his fat ass to hong kong but noo there arent any hacks or stupid weird dances but overall it is a....ownage game!!!!!!!!!i tried to convince my friends to play it hehe i think its working im soo close to teh end but i dont have a slime crown i wonder if uugh...the game was fun....and ugh....it was good but i only got like a lv41 in everyone and i cant pass rhpathorne i just want to kick his fat ass to hong kong but noo there arent any hacks or stupid weird dances but overall it is a....ownage game!!!!!!!!!i tried to convince my friends to play it hehe i think its working im soo close to teh end but i dont have a slime crown i wonder if u can find one im still working on beating rhapathorne and ppl i have a little tip u know ridons tower theres a hill next to it use the god birds stone tht makes u fly and land there u fine every slime known to man so ugh... thtll make it easier to increase and u know the red slot machine in baccarat use it but its a 100 coin slot machine i got like 30,000 coins off it lmaooo Expand
  19. ChrisC.
    Nov 21, 2005
    I'm kinda conflicted about it. I do enjoy it, but I also get tired of it quickly because the non-boss battles tend to just turn into attacking over and over, and it gets tedious because the encounter rate is so high. But nonetheless, great classic gamer experience.
  20. Ken
    Nov 25, 2005
    Funny, involving story with great graphics. However, the XP treadmill is horrible. The average monster encountered after level 40 does not give you nearly enough XP. Leveling after 40 is so rare you begin to wonder if you're playing a MMORPG.
  21. ChrisE.
    Dec 14, 2005
    Great Game. Lots of play time and a great plot and characters is what this game is all about.
  22. BrianK.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Awesome! This is game is simply awesome, I pity the reviewers who gripe with the games old school classic RPG fundamentals that is what makes RPGs so good, that is why FF7 and FF3 and old DQ titles trump FFX and FFX2... don't fix what is'nt broken, what makes DQ8 so amazing is the shear size of the game, it is a very big game.. travel is almost real time which I like, traversing Awesome! This is game is simply awesome, I pity the reviewers who gripe with the games old school classic RPG fundamentals that is what makes RPGs so good, that is why FF7 and FF3 and old DQ titles trump FFX and FFX2... don't fix what is'nt broken, what makes DQ8 so amazing is the shear size of the game, it is a very big game.. travel is almost real time which I like, traversing from town to town is an adventure in itslelf as you have very far too go with many dangerous monsters lurking about, the Night and Day system is cool too, all RPGs should have that system. I enjoy the weapon proficency and skill system it reminds me of Dungeons and Dragons a bit, the graphics and sound are great, nice soundtrack and the game is absolutely beautiful in design, the mechanics may be old school but the graphics smash any other modern RPG game! I have not had this much addictive fun playing an RPG since Zelda: Ocarnia of Time! Buy it now over anything else!! Expand
  23. MarV.
    Feb 18, 2006
    amazing game. best traditional rpg ever made and one of my favorite games ever made. the battle music sure could have changed at least one in game, but that all i can really think to complain about. the characters are awesome, the story isnt the best but its still good and loads of fun to play through.
  24. Brian
    Mar 23, 2006
    One of the best RPG's for any console game. The world is huge, the characters are hilarious, and the battle system rocks! You can get 80 to 100 hours out of this game easy. My one complaint is that the ending was somewhat weak, but a person disappointed with this game is a gamer who doesn't like RPG's.
  25. RichH.
    Apr 10, 2006
    Simply amazing. Dragon Quest has stuck to its series roots and improved them like never before. Stunning visuals and a great story make this a exceptional game. This game needs to be added to and RPG players game library!
  26. DavidD.
    Jul 1, 2006
    Tho this game story line, is over done, what RPG to date dosnt fallow it and is good? Its simplistic but balenced battle system makes it easy for anyone to play. And the fact that the story is that a story, that u will get caught up in as if u were reading a really good book. Makes this game one of the best RPG's ive ever played. The enjoyable long time it takes to beat the game and Tho this game story line, is over done, what RPG to date dosnt fallow it and is good? Its simplistic but balenced battle system makes it easy for anyone to play. And the fact that the story is that a story, that u will get caught up in as if u were reading a really good book. Makes this game one of the best RPG's ive ever played. The enjoyable long time it takes to beat the game and the rewarding expernces of complateting task threw out ur quest only makes it that much bette. Expand
  27. JackwodB.
    Jul 9, 2006
    If your asking yourself, is that his real name, then yes, yes it is my real name. If your asking yourself, is Dragon Quest VIII under rated, then yes, yes it is under rated. And finally if your asking yourself, is Dragon Quest VIII the best RPG this console generation, then yes, in my honest opinion yes it is. Dont be a fool and buy, dont rent, this fabulous game...
  28. M.V.
    Jul 14, 2006
    I've played this game over a year, and iml VERY pleased! The graphics are great, so is the gameplay, ten thumbs up ;) I recommend you buy this game and try it for yourself.
  29. RedXIII
    Aug 4, 2006
    Visually amazing, sound is awesome, battles are great, simple gameplay, yet highly addicting, an awesome RPG all around. If you can get past the cartoonish animation which fits the game perfectly but can put off some people, this game is very fun, the reason that I did not give it a 10 is the lack of magic/summons and the troublesome saving system. But other than that this is the best RPG Visually amazing, sound is awesome, battles are great, simple gameplay, yet highly addicting, an awesome RPG all around. If you can get past the cartoonish animation which fits the game perfectly but can put off some people, this game is very fun, the reason that I did not give it a 10 is the lack of magic/summons and the troublesome saving system. But other than that this is the best RPG I have played in a long time, probably since Final Fantasy VII, it is no where near as good as FFVII but is definitely up there on the best RPG list. Expand
  30. Mr.E
    Aug 26, 2006
    One of the best RPG of the of 2005.

#10 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#8 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. games(TM)
    For the first time in the series’ beleaguered overseas history, the game is going to hook westerners long enough to draw them in past the insane difficulty and into one of the most rewarding, player-loving games of the last decade. [JPN Import; Feb 2005, p.86]
    Dragon Quest VIII may not revolutionize the console RPG genre, but it has done one thing that all the older RPGs have strived to be: it has become the greatest classic RPG experience of all time. [JPN Import]
  3. Weekly Famitsu