Drakan: The Ancients' Gates PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Jan 28, 2002
9.1

1. J.T.
    Mar 5, 2002
    The best game to hit the PS2 so far!!! And Rynn blows Lara Croft out of the water!!!
  2. AmandaA.
    May 27, 2006
    This is the best game I've ever played. It's really fun and always leaves you wanting more. It's so fun and exciting. I love all of the weapons, side quests, characters, fighting, and vast world.
    May 5, 2002
    Its good. Good games casting dragons are few and far between.
  4. G.Z.
    Feb 20, 2002
    Excellent game. The graphics are beautiful, the combat is tight, torching stuff while riding the dragon is amazing, nice story without bogging it down too much, etc. Only downside is slightly silly AI some times. If you like action/adventure games, this one can't be missed!
  5. Kuato
    Feb 4, 2007
    One of the best fantasy adventure/action games for PS2. A very solid experience.
  6. TyM.
    Feb 19, 2002
    This is one of the best games I've ever played.
  7. BenvanDesil
    Jul 17, 2004
    This game is awesome... I haven't finished it yet but trust me I will... like I said... it's great... not many like it...
  8. ShariR.
    Sep 7, 2007
    I love it. All the challenges make it interesting and the graphics look superb!! I play it over and over again i still don't get tired of it! (P.S. luv all the weapons!!)
  9. MattW.
    Mar 23, 2002
    this is one of the greatest surprises so far this year. The graphics and gameplay are solid, the sound is great, the story is intriguing, and all of these combine to give this game an epic feel. It may seem overwhelming at first, but you'll get used to it. I smell the first sleeper hit of 2002.
  10. ChristopherM.
    Apr 17, 2002
    One of the best RPGs since the Final Fantasy series.
  11. JeremyT.
    Apr 24, 2002
    The gameplay is good. The graphics are pretty cool. The replay value is on the high end. Overall rate is 9.5. The only complaint is the ending of the game -.5 deduction!
  12. Jake
    Apr 16, 2006
    I think this game is so awsome. It makes me want to kepp playing and laying. One of the best games ever! Hope they make a 3rd one.
  13. May 25, 2013
    This game is worth taking a chance on in 2013 if you are very bored, but like adventure action. There is a story, so its not a pure action game that you can blast through. You have to navigate and do item collection quite a bit. Thankfully you don't really get too lost and everything keeps pace. The environments, textures, and animations don't look like much at first, but it gets goingThis game is worth taking a chance on in 2013 if you are very bored, but like adventure action. There is a story, so its not a pure action game that you can blast through. You have to navigate and do item collection quite a bit. Thankfully you don't really get too lost and everything keeps pace. The environments, textures, and animations don't look like much at first, but it gets going once you are put on your first quest. The controls are a bit clunky, but this is an older game. Its like a 2nd or 3rd Tomb Raider engine. The enemies are pretty funny. The first quest is a balance of creepy and silly with magic gremlins. Its not as fluid as devil may cry, and perhaps this game needs more finishing touches, but its very playable and gives you a lot to do. As an RPG you'll start to feel like the character after awhile. I have to deduct some points because some areas, like the first castle don't look finished. The controls aren't perfect, and some things about this game are average. All in all this should be good for hours of gameplay whether you beat it or not. If you are already a fan of the genre or older ps2 games you'll like it. Expand
  14. May 22, 2012
    Truly one of the best ps2 games I've ever played. I don't like that the game has an end- I'd have preferred a continued open world. But that just goes to show how great of an experience it was when I first played it.
  15. Aug 10, 2013
    The best game I ever played. Although there was an unnecessarily large difficulty spike halfway through the game, the overall excellence overshadows it.
  16. Jun 11, 2013
    Awesome 3/4's of a game! It's a shame they wimped out and didn't have a decent ending. Just 5 more minutes of wrapping everything up would have been enough to get a score of 9. An open-ended world afterwards would let me give a score of 10. But I bought my PS2 years ago just to play this game, and was happy with the decision. Great game, great fun! Flying on a dragon is something theyAwesome 3/4's of a game! It's a shame they wimped out and didn't have a decent ending. Just 5 more minutes of wrapping everything up would have been enough to get a score of 9. An open-ended world afterwards would let me give a score of 10. But I bought my PS2 years ago just to play this game, and was happy with the decision. Great game, great fun! Flying on a dragon is something they don't have much of anymore, and I miss it. Expand
  17. Aug 12, 2015
    The game that made me love RPG and fantasy games. Charming game with lots of surprises. Decent story.
    Still my favourite Playstation game. A shame it was not released for PC.

1. Continues in the tradition of it's origins; providing a quick to get into and unique game with plenty of monster slaying, an ultra-cool heroine, a feisty but noble dragon, open character development, and plenty of foot and aerial combat to indulge in.
  2. If you like a good story, mixed in with breathtaking visuals, magnificent audio, and extraordinary game play you’d be a fool to miss out on this sleeper hit of the year.
  3. Suffers from a steep difficulty curve. Blame it on the excessive enemy quotient, the steep cost of healing, and the unwieldy inventory control. [Feb 2002, p.148]