8.4

1. Mar 13, 2013
    The more you progress in the game, the crazier the story gets. It is not a bad one, just unusual. The graphics, despite the FMVs, are bad and also the fighting animations are stiffly. At least you can fly with a dragon.
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    Tedious entertainment. I like the story and the concept of the dragon. I like the weapon and how as they level up you can get some kind of story about their origin. I can put up with the repetitive attack pattern one,two,three special... But two things that really brought my enjoyment down were the camera, it sucks not being able to slowly adjust the camera, instead you are force to use the block button to look ahead or the right analog stick which sends the camera in a crazy whirl, that and the fact that you can't save in the middle of a stage suck. After playing for nearly an hour it really annoys me when I get killed because I had little life and made a stupid mistake. I understand not wanting players to save every so often so that they can become pretty much immortal, but you could have limited the saves during gameplay to two, hell even one would have been enough. Just so that you don't loose 40+min of gameplay. Expand
  3. May 2, 2013
    Probably the most f***ed up game I've ever played in my 12 years of video gaming. The soundtrack is a blast. Growing Wings FTW ) The characters, except for some, are damn disturbing. And the story is just extremely bizarre and it has some of the most depressing and mindf**k endings ever. I'm looking at you Chapter 12 & 13 ) It's like playing a real existing creepypasta! But I've enjoyed every second of it, but too bad the gameplay is pretty stale and that the NA and EU versions are censored because of some taboos in the game such as; incest, cannibalism, etc. It'll make the story very unclear, but you can always look things up on the 'net.
    Drakengard, like I said, is one of the most f***ed up game I've ever played with an awesome soundtrack, average to good graphics and supported with delicious FMV cutscenes...with repetitive and stale gameplay that's unforgiving at certain moments. Damn you save system!)
    Can't wait for Drakengard 3!
  4. Apr 4, 2013
    I voted 10 because it just is my favourite game of all times. I know it has its issues and if I was professional reviewer, I'd probably lose my job right away, but I don't really care. There is just something that makes me play this game even after all those years. The most interesting thing about the game is definitely story especially thanks to the unique, mostly completely insane bunch of characters that are far from your everyday heroes. I don't want to spoil much, but let's say our party consists of mass murderer that enjoys killing above all, cannibal that eats children, pedophile, and racist. Oh well... Now about gameplay. Most of you probably know that this game is combination of Panzer Dragon and Dynasty Warriors and it's pretty spot on description. There are 3 types of mission Dungeons, where you have to fight alone, in the air, where you fight airships with your dragon and combination of both, mostly on some plains where you are given choice to either fight on foot or from the back of your dragon. You can get down and call for her anytime. Ground battles are the part of the game I found most fun. During the course of the game you come across many many weapons (around 60), everyone can be leveled to level 4, gain unique combos and more importantly magic, which by the end of the game gets really devastating and quite satisfying to use. Then there is fairly interesting chain system that gets you hooked up during longer battles since you get more experience, buffs, health orbs and other bonuses, the higher is your combo count. Air missions have less variety if you ask me, but it's not really bad. Dragon can shoot homing (weaker) fireballs as well as huge fireball with manual aiming. And just like Caim, she has MP gauge that fills up after certain number of kills, which means you can use overdrive. But like I said it is the story and overall atmosphere (I guarantee you, that music in this game is nothing you have ever heard anywhere else and it's awesome!) that keeps you interested. The game has 5 endings, to which applies simple rule They get more and more crazy. This, along with weapon collectibles and leveling, kinda ensures fairly long playtime and high replayability. Just give the game chance and maybe you will like it. Be prepared though. It's definitely not for everyone, that's for sure. Expand
  5. Nov 6, 2013
    This game truly has the greatest and most interesting story i'v ever played in a video game. I can't even describe how amazing this game is.

Many think the ground and air battle are a little edgy and i agree. There to slow paced to make you feel like a badass like they should given the main protagonist. I only removed one point for the combat system however, because the addictive and
    absolutely amazing movie worthy story makes up for it.

I can't recommend this game enough for how great it is. If you can get passed the slightly boring and repetitive combat system then your in for a story you'll never forget. I myself beat the game years ago (still have the game and always will) and still think about the vividness of the story arc and the more then memorable characters.

I highly recommend this game for anyone who is into RPG's.

1. It seems ironic that in Square Enix’s attempts to make a game appealing to fans of two genres they have actually created a game that features pretty standard gameplay and may not attract its intended audience.
  2. Just isn't fun enough to keep you playing. With repetitive missions, no multiplayer and mediocre gameplay, it often devolves into a chore.
  3. Two genres thrown together that don’t really try to be better than the games that they’re based on, descending into a mundane exercise in repetition.