Dynasty Warriors 4 PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Mar 25, 2003
  • Also On: PC
9.3

1. Jul 21, 2016
    This and DW3 are my favourite games of the series. If I have to compare them I would say DW3 is more "stylish" or "cool" in terms of design and visual effects and has better gameplay (especially weapon drop system), while DW4 is darker/heavier and made every character weapon and attack more distinctive. Other than that DW3 is better. They both have good music though. DW3 is moreThis and DW3 are my favourite games of the series. If I have to compare them I would say DW3 is more "stylish" or "cool" in terms of design and visual effects and has better gameplay (especially weapon drop system), while DW4 is darker/heavier and made every character weapon and attack more distinctive. Other than that DW3 is better. They both have good music though. DW3 is more electronic, while DW4 is more rock/metal. Even if you think this series is **** it might be worth playing the 2 games just for the music!

This game should be an 8 but the **** charge attack auto lock system absolutely killed the enjoyment. I wish there was a patch to remove the stupid target auto lock.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    Dynasty warriors 4 is a very good game. It takes a while to play and the weapon upgrade system is awesome. It also has very good movements for many of the characters that made it more fun.
  3. Jul 19, 2011
    Video Games are fun for some people. For me, the multiplatform, 7-game-series, Dynasty Warriors is my drug. The game focuses on a three century long age of warfare and chaos that consumed and destroyed China cerca 600 B.C. When you pop in the disk an action-packed video filled with fire, fighting, trebuchets, clashing of swords, falling castles, and general hell breaking loose attacks yourVideo Games are fun for some people. For me, the multiplatform, 7-game-series, Dynasty Warriors is my drug. The game focuses on a three century long age of warfare and chaos that consumed and destroyed China cerca 600 B.C. When you pop in the disk an action-packed video filled with fire, fighting, trebuchets, clashing of swords, falling castles, and general hell breaking loose attacks your eyes. The background guitar solo peaks your adrenaline, and when the final â Expand
  4. RobL
    Nov 23, 2008
    A lot of new features and levels, but it often dies on me mid-battle, sending me back to the menu unsaved (no not because of the start+select code) other times I simply fall over dead for no reason. there are quite a few bugs with the new moves. Leaving your commander alone for *one second* results in loss on higher difficulty settings. New and fun, but it doesnt feel right for me.A lot of new features and levels, but it often dies on me mid-battle, sending me back to the menu unsaved (no not because of the start+select code) other times I simply fall over dead for no reason. there are quite a few bugs with the new moves. Leaving your commander alone for *one second* results in loss on higher difficulty settings. New and fun, but it doesnt feel right for me. DW3 is still my fave Collapse
  5. TheWargamer
    May 2, 2008
    Professional Game Reviewers know sod-all about what makes a good game. They can slag off Dynasty Warriors as unsophisticated and motonous hack-and-slash all they want, but they refuse to acknowledge the fact that people like me will still happily plug in a Mega Drive, and spend happy hours slashing away on Golden Axe, or clubbing people with lead pipes on Streets of Rage.

Dynasty

Dynasty Warriors 4 is unsophisticated videogame violence of the Old School styling. Run around, grab power ups, slaughter untold thousands of generic warriors, beat the "Boss" characters and conquer china. It's not going to challenge you mentally, but it is really good fun nonetheless!
  6. Drock
    Jul 14, 2006
    Ok i have every DW game this one is great but 5 is way better.
  7. DogMat
    Apr 21, 2006
  8. AdamB.
    Mar 27, 2006
    Serves as a great introduction to the series, but brings forth nothing fundamentally new. The character editor is a welcome addition, but lacks depth. The remixed music is inspired, and the dialog is as always, both informative and humorous. And the gameplay remains as flawlessly fluid as fans have come to expect. But after playing the Xtreme Legends or Empires games, the standard games Serves as a great introduction to the series, but brings forth nothing fundamentally new. The character editor is a welcome addition, but lacks depth. The remixed music is inspired, and the dialog is as always, both informative and humorous. And the gameplay remains as flawlessly fluid as fans have come to expect. But after playing the Xtreme Legends or Empires games, the standard games in the series feel just that: too standard. Expand
  9. RamiW.
    Mar 3, 2006
    One of the greatest games of all time the 3 new characters are cool.
  10. TaS.
    Jan 23, 2005
    This game rocks! I like the way the A.I. has gotton better. If you dont have this game,buy it!
  11. JimmyWoodnut
    Aug 21, 2004
    Good 4 about 3 days but then is just plain boring i would recomend this game but not any of the other dynasty warrior games by the way if ure thinking of buying this game and have been put of buy me saying i got bored after 3 days i just wanna tell u that 3 days is good for me.
  12. Bob
    Aug 17, 2004
    The game is brilliant but it needs more levels, more weapons, more characters, more choice in the editing mode. Add these and it's perfect.
  13. Bob
    Aug 17, 2004
  14. DasingT.
    Aug 8, 2004
    This game is cool.
  15. EmopunkboyK.
    Jul 17, 2004
    Ive got about 200 hrs. in it and still playing, but the koei franchise needs something new and inventive... badly for Dynasty warriors 5.
  16. AdamF.
    May 30, 2004
    You guys did a great job on this one. this game has to be one of my top favorites of all times!!!!!!
  17. JamesM.
    May 26, 2004
    I have'nt even made it that far in the game yet, and I already think its a great game. It's really addictive. You have to try this game out.
  18. JonS.
    May 26, 2004
    I love this game.
  19. SarahW.
    Apr 22, 2004
    This game is just so addictive! It has to be the most exciting in the Dynasty Warriors Series! A must buy.
  20. JohnG.
    Apr 10, 2004
    Bob that gave it a 0 and John.J that gave it a 0 you guys must need glasses this game is great. Just need more characters and stages but it's great how it is.
  21. AlexanderH.
    Mar 23, 2004
    I always like these samurai kind of games and the action of this game is cool especially with 2 players. also the effects are good, voices good, combos are nice, weapons changes are great etc. i only miss a bit of gore. something like tenchu wrath of heaven.
  22. AndrewY.
    Mar 19, 2004
    No duh, this game rocks.
  23. Jimmy
    Mar 14, 2004
    It kicks ass.
  24. JohnstonE.
    Feb 16, 2004
    My cousins and I LOVE the game, even my sister!! Great job.
  25. JamesG.
    Feb 14, 2004
    It's the dogs dangalies.
  26. TysonB.
    Feb 13, 2004
    Dynasty Warriors 4 is still one of the best games to come. I would give it a 9.3 to be exact , but i always round numbers.
  27. DogMat
    Jan 31, 2004
  28. VincentA.
    Nov 30, 2003
    This game rocks! Good job KOEI !!!
  29. JJH.
    Nov 26, 2003
    This game is the most exciting game I played ever I sit In my room for 5 Hours and just play that game you just have to play it.
  30. HarryC.
    Nov 14, 2003
    So cool.
  31. WillD.
    Nov 10, 2003
    This is the best game ever!!!!!!!! I got thois game in may, and ive played it nonstop!!! Easily one of the best games ever made!!!!!
  32. Karina.T
    Sep 16, 2003
    Rad, cool and awesome!
  33. ShunL.
    Sep 9, 2003
    Great game!!!!!
  34. JoshM.
    Aug 30, 2003
    I can't believe that people think that this is repetitive. There is about 6 Musou modes and heaps more to do after that! DW4 rocks!
  35. DanielA.
    Aug 29, 2003
    BEST GAME ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  36. EamonS.
    Aug 23, 2003
    This is an awesome game!!! The player's the strategy It's all good. 'Cept for the occasional dissaperance of guys, this game rocks! The characters are givin more of a personality than the others to where you almost no them. Don't miss out on this game It's awesome!
  37. ColeyB.
    Aug 22, 2003
    It's the best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!! i played for less then 5 minnuts and i loved it.
  38. CarlosL.
    Aug 22, 2003
    Amazing, awesame, simply the best game i´ve ever played. It´s a jewel
  39. PeterG.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Very indepth story, more difficult to level than previous games.
  40. S.Cho
    Aug 20, 2003
    Addictive....all i'm going to say.
  41. DanielB.
    Aug 20, 2003
    This game is one of the best games I ever played!
  42. BUUDU
    Aug 18, 2003
    From a time when warrior and hero ment somthing. Romance Of The Three Kingdoms is the best true story ever, the only thing better than the games are the books.Sun Ce was and will always be THE MAN.
  43. ScottO.
    Aug 18, 2003
    Excelent game, best of koei's games by far, graphics are brilliant and game play is fantastic u have gotta buy this game!
  44. JonathanL.
    Aug 14, 2003
    All characters from #3 were improved! Zhou Yu,Sun Jian,Zhou Tai, and Cao Cao rock.
  45. TsukiH.
    Aug 9, 2003
    I agree with that Dynasty Warriors 4 is a fun, addicting game, but it ticks me off that few people look past the battlefield engine to understand the history and story behind the game. There are a few minor flaws, but everything else compensates for it. The music is awesome, and I'm buying the soundtrack soon.
  46. ShawnN.
    Aug 8, 2003
    One of the best games ever, a must buy. So much skill and effort put into this brilliant game.
  47. J.K.
    Aug 7, 2003
    If theres something I like best, it's the weapon upgrade system. Pure adrenaline. I'd give it a 12 if possible.
  48. DogMat
    Aug 5, 2003
  49. AlexP.
    Aug 3, 2003
    Addictive :D
  50. MijkK.
    Aug 1, 2003
    This is the most fun game ever made get it today.
  51. DavidB.
    Jul 31, 2003
    This is probably he best game I ever played. the characters are cool and have awesome weapons. I love the gameplay and graphicas. The character attacks are simply amazing. One of my favourite characters are Zhuge Liang I hope they come out with a dynasty warriors 5.
  52. BHighsmith
    Jul 31, 2003
    My friend Joseph Hatch got me into the game, and I think it's the best game ever to be made.
  53. ZacB.
    Jul 27, 2003
    co0l kicks butt on magic yu gi oh and warhammer.
  54. BobB.
    Amazing. Simply amazing.
  55. SapphireC.
    Jul 27, 2003
    I can't find hidden characters and stages! It's very fustrating!
  56. ArmanK.
    Jul 21, 2003
    It is the best game i have ever played it has everything in it new wapeons items and even horses more character more levels and more fun filled adventures.
  57. Joe
    Jul 15, 2003
    It's great.
  58. KevinP.
    Jul 14, 2003
    This game is great, I have had this game for 2 months now and I haven't gotten bored, the improvements from Dynasty Warriors 3 are awesome, such as the graphics and teh new features.
  59. AnthonyL.
    Jul 12, 2003
    Da best game........ EVA!!!!!! A MUST BUY!
  60. RichardR.
    Jul 10, 2003
    Well cool.
  61. Phil
    Jul 9, 2003
    Get this game!
  62. JustinJ.
    Jul 7, 2003
    You are finally available to use Lu Bu and Meng Huo in musou mode! Plus Cao Cao and Liu Bei have better costumes.
  63. TonyP.
    Jul 1, 2003
    This is the best game in the series yet. This one is more realistic and twice as fun. The added features such as the encyclopedia and creat mode are in need of improvement however they are special features most games don't have anyway. One added feature in this game that I am very impressed with is the challenge mode it is fun and still adds more excitment to the game. This is the This is the best game in the series yet. This one is more realistic and twice as fun. The added features such as the encyclopedia and creat mode are in need of improvement however they are special features most games don't have anyway. One added feature in this game that I am very impressed with is the challenge mode it is fun and still adds more excitment to the game. This is the first game other than Tribes that I have ever seen with a full blown battle happening all at once, this adds yet another level of excitment to the game. This one is a the top of my list of great games. Expand
  64. DynastyWarriors4fans
    Jun 29, 2003
    Best improvement game i would say. It would be better if more general could be played.
  65. AdamW.
    Jun 29, 2003
    The best Dynasty Warriors game yet.
  66. TimB.
    Jun 28, 2003
    This is the best installment yet, there is almost nothing bad about this game. If you find it too boring, you'd have to be boring yourself. Giving it anything lower than a 10 would be unfathomable.
  67. JamesBond
    Jun 27, 2003
    THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD!
  68. Nyt K.
    Jun 25, 2003
    It is wonderful.. i love it.. goddamn i just wanna play it all the time.. :)
  69. AdamM.
    Jun 9, 2003
    It's true that some improvements could be made, obviously, but it's the same with all games, period, or we wouldn't have sequels. The Dynasty Warriors series - and Dynasty Warriors 4 specifically - is overall so great that to change it too much would be trying to fix what isn't broken. The game is fun, long, and diverse with the challenge of leveling up 30+ officers It's true that some improvements could be made, obviously, but it's the same with all games, period, or we wouldn't have sequels. The Dynasty Warriors series - and Dynasty Warriors 4 specifically - is overall so great that to change it too much would be trying to fix what isn't broken. The game is fun, long, and diverse with the challenge of leveling up 30+ officers and getting all the boards and endings. And it's excellent stress relief! Expand
  70. TomcatG.
    Jun 6, 2003
    I rate this game a 10 because it is fun as anything to slice and dice things, but then again i have never played the other dynasty warrior games.
  71. AbherullahN.
    May 31, 2003
    This game is a major kick ass. It has all the moves, basically its a lovely game and should not be missed. The most preffered dynasty, i think would be Wu because it has all these cool dudes in it. (specially Zhou Yu & Sun Ce)
  72. MichaelC.
    May 29, 2003
    Sun Ce kicks major ass and this game is the best of the series people keep complaining it is like the others but if it wasn't what is the use of calling it dynasty warriors? i think is great since ive played all the D.W. series and this one is brilliant i mean all the characters to choose from(Sun Ce is the best) and all the levels and stories. it deserves nothing lower than 10. If Sun Ce kicks major ass and this game is the best of the series people keep complaining it is like the others but if it wasn't what is the use of calling it dynasty warriors? i think is great since ive played all the D.W. series and this one is brilliant i mean all the characters to choose from(Sun Ce is the best) and all the levels and stories. it deserves nothing lower than 10. If you dont like it how bout you go make a better game see how hard it is....exactly. Expand
  73. BradS.
    May 29, 2003
    The best version of Dyntasy Warriors yet! If your even the slightest fan of hack n' slash or beat 'em ups, you'd be totaly foolish to pass this gem of a game up.
  74. ShermanB.
    May 20, 2003
    I find it impossible to give Dynasty Warriors 4 anything below a 10.The battle system configureation is awsome,fell in love with the three new characters,the graphics are exellent,and I find myself in question wether or not Koie can come up with an even better game.10 out of 10 for Dynasty Warriors 4.
  75. XactingFlow
    May 19, 2003
    It can be monotonous and repetitive. The music is a good thing. Edit-A-Warrior a bad thing. Too little options, too much similarity. Let's try and be creative for the next one if there will be a next one. Maybe a whole new series that blends Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII. That would be neat. Keep the brutal AI if you want. That's fine. It would be a lot It can be monotonous and repetitive. The music is a good thing. Edit-A-Warrior a bad thing. Too little options, too much similarity. Let's try and be creative for the next one if there will be a next one. Maybe a whole new series that blends Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII. That would be neat. Keep the brutal AI if you want. That's fine. It would be a lot more strategically challenging with the broadness of the RTK games and the upclose action of DW. I am unable to give it more than a 7 Expand
  76. GeorgeF.
    May 19, 2003
    Its so awesome, I love the movies and the realistic looks and everything. Totally rad!
  77. JohnS.
    May 18, 2003
    A+ GAME! don't believe me just read what others have been said about the game, we can't be all wrong :)
  78. Craig
    May 17, 2003
    Game with never ending fun that you can keep playing.
    May 16, 2003
    I play this game a ot It is fun I like Cheese My faviorite part is being abla to make your own chars. I finnished 1 of the story modes and almost finished another one I got most of the chars. Altogether this is a great game.
  80. AlexHogue
    May 16, 2003
    The best game there ever was!
  81. JacanP.
    May 15, 2003
    Usually games that go into a 4th one are more arnt good but suprising enough this game even surpasses Dynasty Warriors 3 Extreane Legions.
  82. Skhan
    May 14, 2003
    It is easily the best game out there!
  83. KevinM.
    May 12, 2003
    It is the best game ever.
  84. EricG.
    This game is awesome!!!
  85. DaleS.
    This game is great.
  86. MikeW.
    It's awesome.
  87. SimonH.
    May 11, 2003
    This game is just outstanding and is compact with loads of new modes.
  88. DevenS.
    May 10, 2003
    This game rocks. I bought it and then I was hooked. Lu Bu is awsome.
  89. Steve
    May 9, 2003
    Excellent.
  90. Jacko
    May 8, 2003
    Ma Chao & Gan Ning rule.
  91. AlexJ.
    May 6, 2003
    It's the best game ever!
  92. JohnH.
    May 5, 2003
    This game is the Shiz, Lu Bu Kicks Some major Azz.
  93. MarisaS.
    May 4, 2003
    I have never seen a cooler game! It is so much fun, I'm hooked!
  94. JoshB.
    May 3, 2003
    I got to play on a demo for dw2 and i was hooked and brought along with 3 and xtreme legends, but don't have enough money to buy 4 and it's killing me. This game is more than awsome its the best game in the world. My friend that doesn't even like games was hooked. I LOVE THIS GAME.
  95. Bob
    May 3, 2003
    This game sux.
  96. RichardH.
    Apr 30, 2003
    Great game, has everything DW3 had & more!
  97. TimS.
    Apr 28, 2003
    This game rocks. when i first saw the preview for it on t.v. my jaw just dropped and i had to buy the game. my favorite is Lux xun.
  98. TimQ.
    Apr 28, 2003
    This game is the best game ever.
  99. JoshO.
    Apr 28, 2003
    Need to add new characters and 20 new stages or new plot with created characters as main characters.
  100. MarkK.
    Apr 25, 2003
    Just like the others this games rocks! It has new things that are fun as well as the old things we have all come to love. It is a great great game.

#2 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003

1. Dynasty Warriors 4 is good, but it's the same kind of good that Koei has been releasing for almost three years now.
  2. Edge Magazine
    Yes it is almost the same, but when it's brilliant fun, and no other publisher is releasing games like this, who cares? [June 2003, p.104]
    AI is greatly improved.