• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Aug 30, 2004
8.1

1. Sep 27, 2013
    I heard from an unreliable source that this game is the best hockey video game for PS2. I played NHL 2K5 yesterday for the first time. The sky box was innovative for its time and the VIP is virtually the same as the NFL version. Graphics are okay for the year and the puck speed is good.

The Problems are noticeable. The checking is sub par compared to the 2K versions. Fighting is a waste of time in game. The soundtrack is the worst i have heard of any sports game. Might as well play Pandora instead. The mini games and battle mode are sloppy and unpolished.

If you have a PS2. Instead of this sub par game. Try NHL 2004 or NHL 2k8.
    These two offer two different but awesome experiences for an NHL video game.
  2. JamesC.
    Apr 21, 2005
    Way better than EA sports. you wont get much better. last years rosters a bit disappointing.
  3. Tim
    Jan 11, 2005
    It could have better goal judging.
  4. TonyM.
    Oct 11, 2004
    Simply awesome. One of the most realistic, fun hockey games i've ever played. It also brings a level of control that wasnt quite there in any previous hockey game.
  5. BrianR.
    Sep 23, 2004
    The Presentation and graphics in this game are no where near as good as EA's NHL. Is ESPN lightyears ahead of EA's game for fun gameplay as most reviews say? No, but you can't go wrong with the price.
  6. JosephS.
    Sep 15, 2004
    I have had a lot of mixed comments regarding EA's and ESPN's NHL series. Fact of the matter is, despite the fact that ESPN does have a good hockey game, it does not come close to the realism that EA brings. Programming wise, it is evident that the team at EA Sports has put in more passion and hard work in their Hockey franchise. As for ESPN, I don't really have anything bad I have had a lot of mixed comments regarding EA's and ESPN's NHL series. Fact of the matter is, despite the fact that ESPN does have a good hockey game, it does not come close to the realism that EA brings. Programming wise, it is evident that the team at EA Sports has put in more passion and hard work in their Hockey franchise. As for ESPN, I don't really have anything bad to say about their production team except for the fact that they lack the experience that EA brings to the game. But hey, you gotta start somewhere and the ESPN team definitely has the potential to be a worthy competitor. As for now though there is only one thing I can say...EA SPORTS, IT'S IN THE GAME!! Expand
  7. JordanH.
    Sep 9, 2004
    Put simply, the best NHL game i have ever played.
  8. BobP.
    Sep 6, 2004
    I'm not much of a sports fan, so the real draw for me was the game's $20 price tag. It's a bit much on the full sims side of sports but the graphics and gameplay tend to be on the better than I'd expected it to be for a $20 game. The weekest point is that the game still has last year's roster/stats.
  9. H.H.
    Sep 6, 2004
    Bomb.
  10. AndreP.
    Sep 2, 2004
    Break free of the EA spell. ESPN NHL 2K5 is an AMAZING game. An at a fraction of the price of EA NHL 2005, you'll feel dumb if you don't give it a shot.
  11. AaronS.
    Jul 22, 2004
    This game is unbelievably better than ea sports it's in the crappy game.

1. An incredible hockey package that's filled with more game modes than you'll probably know what to do with. And once again they've orchestrated the best hockey gameplay you're going to find anywhere.
  2. When you combine the depth of gameplay, breadth of modes and quality of delivery with the salary-cap friendly $19.99 price tag, it’s easy to see how ESPN NHL 2K5 stays on top of its division.
  3. The actual hockey is a bit of a mixed bag in 2K5. It still controls beautifully (that "smoothness" we mentioned earlier), and the gameplay is again top-notch - once you tweak it that is. The default settings are pretty awful. [Oct 2004, p.31]