• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Aug 30, 2004
8.6

1. Sep 27, 2013
    I heard from an unreliable source that this game is the best hockey video game for PS2. I played NHL 2K5 yesterday for the first time. The sky box was innovative for its time and the VIP is virtually the same as the NFL version. Graphics are okay for the year and the puck speed is good.

The Problems are noticeable. The checking is sub par compared to the 2K versions. Fighting is a waste of time in game. The soundtrack is the worst i have heard of any sports game. Might as well play Pandora instead. The mini games and battle mode are sloppy and unpolished.

If you have a PS2. Instead of this sub par game. Try NHL 2004 or NHL 2k8.
    These two offer two different but awesome experiences for an NHL video game.

1. An incredible hockey package that's filled with more game modes than you'll probably know what to do with. And once again they've orchestrated the best hockey gameplay you're going to find anywhere.
  2. When you combine the depth of gameplay, breadth of modes and quality of delivery with the salary-cap friendly $19.99 price tag, it’s easy to see how ESPN NHL 2K5 stays on top of its division.
  3. The actual hockey is a bit of a mixed bag in 2K5. It still controls beautifully (that "smoothness" we mentioned earlier), and the gameplay is again top-notch - once you tweak it that is. The default settings are pretty awful. [Oct 2004, p.31]