ESPN NHL Hockey PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Sep 9, 2003
7.0

1. DannyR.
    Oct 15, 2003
    This is a great game Randy B.- The NHL switched the jersey colors for home and away games this year. The game is correct.
  2. Uter
    Oct 9, 2003
    This is the best option on the ps2 for a hockey game this year. The gameplay is more sim than NHL & Hitz (although Hitz isn't supposed to be a sim). The graphics and sound are much improved from last year, and the gameplay is largely unchanged. I wish it was easier to score 5 hole though, it's virtually impossible. It's also unfortunate that it uses such a large chunk of This is the best option on the ps2 for a hockey game this year. The gameplay is more sim than NHL & Hitz (although Hitz isn't supposed to be a sim). The graphics and sound are much improved from last year, and the gameplay is largely unchanged. I wish it was easier to score 5 hole though, it's virtually impossible. It's also unfortunate that it uses such a large chunk of the memory card (you need a few megs free if you want a franchise). Overall it's a great game, but there is room for improvement. Expand
  3. RandyB.
    Oct 3, 2003
    An awesome hockey game!!! I was totally hooked on the EA series, but one game of the ESPN NHL had me switched. My only issue with it is having the dark jersey being put as the home jersey and the light as being the away. That's only in football......not hockey.
  4. VinnyR.
    Sep 30, 2003
    The greatest hockey game i ever played in my life.
  5. Natedogg
    Sep 29, 2003
    The unlockable teams are a wonderful addition. The gameplay is wonderful - graphics are awesome - sound gets old after awhile - challenges are a little harder than expected - wish the d-pad could have been used instead of analog -- overall the best hockey game i've played -- and there have been many of them--trust me ! I would recommend it !
  6. PaulP.
    Sep 18, 2003
    Gameplay is excellent! It seems like you can create a huge amount of players as well. Throw in Historic Teams which you can edit the rosters and if the first and last names are in ESPN NHL HOCKEY'S huge database then it says the players full names. Example I unlocked the Canucks '94 team and edited the roster. It was sweet hearing names like Geoff Coutrnall, Jeff Brown and even Gameplay is excellent! It seems like you can create a huge amount of players as well. Throw in Historic Teams which you can edit the rosters and if the first and last names are in ESPN NHL HOCKEY'S huge database then it says the players full names. Example I unlocked the Canucks '94 team and edited the roster. It was sweet hearing names like Geoff Coutrnall, Jeff Brown and even Dave Babych again. I can't wait to unlock more teams and have some more fun this game is sweet. Expand
  7. DevonN.
    Sep 13, 2003
    This game is awsome. VERY realistic. I only gave it an 8 cause' the online play is very disappointing. It lags extremely bad. Like 20 frames per second bad.
  8. AleksiK.
    Sep 11, 2003
    Best hockey ever!!!
  9. TuomasK.
    Sep 10, 2003
    I will get this game over a month 'cause I'm European, but I know it is the best hockey game on the market.
  10. JasonK.
    Sep 9, 2003
    nhl 2004 has better gameplay and more realism, with being able to get into the game as a GM, and having full ability to take control of your favorite team or creat a team. much better, but still give props to espn, still a great game.
  11. RyanL.
    Sep 7, 2003
    The best hockey game to date in terms of gameplay and realism... bar none. EA's NHL 2004 is still too arcadish compared to this game and is falling behind fast.

#76 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003

1. Play Magazine
    The true star of the ESPN NHL Hockey is the play-by-play commentary. Courtesy of ESPN's Gary Throne and Bill Clement, this is some of the best commentary I've ever heard in a hockey game. [Jan 2004, p.80]
  2. Fine visuals, excellent sound and a level of presentation currently unrivalled in any sporting product - what more could you want?
  3. A near-flawless gameplay experience that is marred only by a slightly deficient Franchise mode, but when you have a game that exudes this much quality in just about every other facet I’m more than happy to overlook it.