5.0

1. Aug 8, 2011
    It's not a perfect game by any means. Some enemies are downright annoying, in fact, and it's a bit short for my taste (although I skipped a lot of side exploration, that's the beauty of games like this, they hide so much secret stuff).

Despite this it's very atmospheric (for the time, I mean, it's based on a PS1 engine!), and the various notes, scraps of lore, and hidden items and places
    (plus the 1st person camera) really give you a sense of being IN the adventure, exploring a very weird island.

In general, this game could certainly be better, but it just seems to make you feel like it's a real (and depraved) world, and you keep getting drawn in to the semi-open world and all the weird caves and dragons and weird evil rat-candle-things...
  2. Jul 11, 2014
    To be completely honest, this game shouldnt really go under the banner of a RPG, unless you class picking up rings and equipping them as an "action" rpg.

Before you commence be ready for plenty of dying for the dumbest of reasons (falling from a small ledge, walking into water etc), and having to start from the beginning over and over, a dire combat system, awkward controls, average
    music. If you can see past these points and want to finish the game, it takes about 7-8 hours to complete.

I actually purchased this game within 6 months of it's release, I played it non-stop for a few days until it was completed, and it has been gathering dust ever since, so no replay value for me. Even in 2002 the graphics could only be described as blocky, so imagine how they compare with current standards.

Definitely one to avoid.

Aside from a few minor frustrations, this game is definitely one you should put some time into.
  2. Dungeon-crawling, hack-and-slash, spell-casting, first-person RPG action at its console best, pretentious story and dated graphics not withstanding.
  3. This feels like what it is -- a rushed, early RPG that didn't receive the time or care needed to turn it into a fun game.