9.2

1. Jul 21, 2011
    Controlling you're character and getting that camera to work just how you want it are in fact more nightmarish than the game itself. Yes it is plagued by Resident Evil syndrome wherein you have predesignated camera angles in rooms that add frustration to the clunky movement of you're character. Thank god the game is incredibly easy and I mean its really just running around-bump into ghost (or wall)-simple attack pattern-click-flash-fatal frame-dead-dead ghost. Thats the game outside of some pretty average puzzles and tracking down keys along finding some cryptic clues have yet to explain many things in full about the ultimate plot. I'm guessing thats not the focus here though. The camera is an excellent concept, the upgrading is cool and customization is fantastic. It is however, overpowered and dispatches those pesky ghosts pretty quickly especially when you find the more powerful film soon after the beginning. The unsettling details of terrible deaths and even "replayed" said terrible deaths are more intense then the combat alone though. You will quickly start asking yourself: "why are the rooms up until the ghosts creepier than my fights with ghosts?" Its also not very scary, but the atmosphere is quite good and enjoyable if you like that sort of theme in you're horror genre. Another thing that I found odd was- exactly how are you killed by a ghost? I mean when a ghost touches my ankle how exactly do I take damage from that? When a ghost gives me a hug- how exactly did that detract from my health? It also doesn't establish why some ghosts are just neutral. Like the many apparitions you take snapshots of or clues that require you to "exercise" a ghostly spirit for some reason they aren't harmful? Oh, but restless ghostly spirits are though! Right. It kind of just makes up these pre-established rules, but its not a huge deal. Its still great if you enjoy this series. It does a lot of things right and its fun too. The village is quite linear though and the game is a bit on the short side although over-all its a great experience. Expand
  2. Jun 11, 2011
    Despite an ending that is so-so, this game is seriously unsettling. It isn't necessarily scary, but throughout the entire game I found myself wanting to take breaks just because of the unsettling effect that the game's atmosphere had. One of the most unsettling parts of this game was the fact that you have to return to certain areas that you've been to before, and there's something about going back and forth about the village that creates this feeling that few horror games have, because most horror games require you to go forward, and you never really have to worry about going back to a place unless you want to have another play through. It's that sort of feeling that makes you think, "Man, I don't want to go there. I hate that place!" and when a horror game is able to successfully make you feel that, then you know they got the job done. Most people say that that's a feeling of tediousness, but they're also the type that doesn't admit being uncomfortable, and this game has very few moments that lack unease. Now I feel obligated to play the first, third, and fourth in the series, that's how impressed by this I was. Collapse
  3. Apr 1, 2012
    The atmosphere is definitely creepy, but this just wasn't my cup of tea. I like to fight monsters, not take a picture of them to "fight" them. Granted the ghosts were pretty terrifying-looking, I was never scared. I just didn't find the game fun at all.
  4. Sep 26, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic game. Creepy as hell, story deep and very flushed out, breathtaking visuals and locations and sound and music that will send chills down your spine.

Fatal frame 2 takes follows the same formula of the first game, but improves on everything to near perfect status. Bigger area, deeply improved controls and combat, scarier and more varied enemies.

For me, this is
    the perfect survival horror game. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, for me it is perfection as far as the genre is concerned.

Overall:
    One of the few games ever that got me scared and had me looking over my shoulder. To this day, I still get the creeps whenever I think of this game.
  5. May 22, 2013
    This game is made out of pure nightmares. I had to fear quit more times than i can remember as everything in this game just hits a home run to bring you one of the most terrifying experiences you'll ever have. Playing this game at night in the dark is how it was ment to be played. Me and four of my friends di this and were all freaking out on multiple occasions. Excellent story for a horror game, great use of music and sound, and the best atmosphere i have ever seen in a horror game. This game deserves the number one spot for horror games. Just great. Expand
  6. Apr 24, 2014
    Absolutely the most terrifying game I’ve ever played in which the game doesn’t sacrifice gameplay. The game is actually enjoyable and addictive as it gives the player “Just one more save” before you go to bed element. There are 2 spots in the game in which I almost complete stopped playing as I was too terrified to continue.

The graphics are great in the PS2 era and still holds up well
    today. There is lots of great atmosphere music in the game (as well as silent portion) that fits the situation and location perfectly. The music also adds to the horror experience the music as it indicated if a ghost possibly may or may not be in the room.

The gameplay also is the reason why I wanted to keep playing even though as it’s extremely enjoyable a in a horror genre without the bloody violence. The camera-gameplay can even be used in a non-horror game and it’ll still be enjoyable.
    The few minor issues I’ve had with the game are that the player character moves a tad bit too slow. It’s good that the developers don’t have the character run but it takes a while to take from place to place with a slow paced character. Another issue is rarely, I get lost in and forget what I have to do and where I have to go if I haven’t played the game for a week. I ended up going to every single building and every single room and eventually find my way. While the game had a very few puzzles, I had issues with very few puzzles in which I had to result a guide for to understand what I have to do to solve the puzzles in which I don’t enjoy doing. I was unsure if I was missing a part of the puzzles to come back to later or if I had to solve the puzzle right there and then.

The story comes from the awesome creepy audio voices and the notes that the townspeople left. The best part is that it’s optional and is not needed since the story present itself well in a way you can interpret the ending and guess what’s going on. The FMV are mostly used to scare us which is a great idea.
  7. May 1, 2014
    Fatal Frame 2: Cromson Butterfly is an excellent game, do not understand how I never get to play a great game like this because I'm a staunch fan of horror games. The atmosphere is creepy, very interesting history and exquisite gameplay. I'm really happy to have found this game, in this moment, I add a new series to my collection of horror games.
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    This Game was more creepy then the first one. I didn't like the original ending..In fact I did get emotional I was sad and In raged she could of refused and drag her sister out of the village.
  9. May 26, 2014
    Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly is and improvement from the first in some ways, and weaker in others.

Where it improves:
    -Well to start off, it all the Fatal Frame games, items do not res-pawn, so if you used up all your film in the first one when fighting ghosts, you were screwed. Same went for medicine, and towards the later parts of the game this started to piss me off, and rather
    than feel like a difficult challenge, it felt like an unfair trap. Fatal Frame 2 offers a default film that doesn't run out, but is weak. This at least gives you a fighting chance if you run out of film, and makes it so that you are still provided with a challenge

-More interesting and difficult puzzles. The puzzles Are more difficult to solve, and actually vary unlike the first one

-Is more scary. The ghosts are scarier. They look scarier, and creepier, and act creepier too. They can be unpredictable, and hard to see even when visible because they blend in. Where in the first game, the ghosts were blue, so easy to see, but in this one they are grey.

-THE GAME IS LONGER!! Fatal Frame was between 4-5 hours long. This is almost 11 hours long!

Where the game weakened:
    -Well, just as a side note, the game still has you backtrack a lot, but thankfully the game varies wile you do this. But what really hurts the game a little bit is that it's wide open, so 1/6 of the game feels like running long distances all for the sake of backtracking. This is not really a major issue, because the game keeps you entertained while doing so.

-Some of the puzzles can be unfair. This happened twice in the game. There are two puzzles where there is a door in the wall, and it doesn't look like a door, it just looks like a wall. Unless you walk around pressing "X" on EVERYTHING in the entire room, you won't find it. I ended up searching up where these doors were.

All pros and cons aside, Fatal Frame II is an improvement with inevitably a few problems, but it has interesting gameplay, scary moments, and creates the effects you expect from it's genre :D
  10. Jun 11, 2011

1. Exploring the lost village is a terrifying experience that's enhanced by a greatly improved graphics engine and a well-structured soundtrack. Tecmo's latest effort may be flawed and far from innovative, but it's still an enjoyably scary experience. [Feb 2004, p.114]
  2. Warning though, this one's not for kids (unless you don't mind them staying up all night, too scared to go to sleep).
  3. There’s not much innovation here — the gameplay is far too linear and there is too much emphasis on key searching to trigger the next cut scene — but for atmosphere alone it is hard to beat.