7.2

1. Sep 23, 2010
    While outshined by its predecessor and a very radical departure from the series norm, Final Fantasy X-2 still manages to be highly entertaining and engrossing, with special mention to its frenetic and nuanced combat system.
  2. Nov 17, 2010
    I really enjoy, and still do enjoy playing this game. Of course it will never live up to what Final Fantasy X was, but i felt the game held it's own and was a good game. I suppose the only thing i didn't like was mainly the main character Yuna's overall attitude in the game. I know characters need to evolve, but it just seemed like a whole different person than the Final Fantasy X yuna we knew and love. but no matter, this game was very nice, and it's one of my favorite of the final fantasy series. Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2010
    So far the only complain I saw are the Chick-flick style... seriously, you cannot enjoy a game because it's too girly for you... it's like saying you can't enjoy Pokemon because it's too childish. Huh, I'm too tired to argue and so I'll just say this, it's a recycled game with a vamped up gameplay and way too easy bosses. It may not be as challenging for and RPG fan but it serves it purpose as an entertaining one. Expand
  4. May 2, 2013
    In my opinion, the best Final Fantasy title on Playstation 2. Also, I think this is the best one since the Super Nintendo titles were released, they had something going, too bad they messed it up with 11 and 12.
  5. Jan 23, 2014
    Final Fantasy X-2 was an amazing sequel to X. But if you haven't played X first, you shouldn't play this game. I don't really see why this game gets so much hate. Personally, I love the changes. X-2 is very upbeat and joyful as opposed to the more depressing atmospheres you see in previous FF games which gets old really fast. I also love that there's an all-female cast which defies a lot of stereotypes and sexism. The battle system was a big overhaul from X and while it is much easier than X, it's also more complicated as well. The dressphere and Garment Grid system was also a great addition and it gave the game a more magical and mystical feel. Most of the characters from X are in the game but only as cameos. Some of them are even bosses that you have to fight against. All of the locations from X are back and some of them even have secret dungeons that you have to go through hell and high water just to access which makes the game pretty difficult.

Unlike X, the gameplay is non-linear which means you can control where the story goes. Also there are a lot of side quests, mini-games, and secret places that you can access which makes this game have a LOT of replay value. But some of the secret dungeons are very difficult even for veteran gamers and you might get very frustrated. There are several endings and the one you get depends on the percentage completion that you have when you complete the game. However, it's impossible to get 100% completion in one playthrough but there's something that can remedy that. There's a New Game+ feature which lets you play all over again with everything you've obtained. But you're not getting off that easily! You start back over at Level 1 so things won't be too easy for you.

The music in X-2 was quite amazing and it was a big change from X but in a good way. The songs in the game (Real Emotion and 1000 Words) are quite wonderful and you'll want to listen to them all over again. The three characters that you'll be using (Yuna, Rikku, and a new girl Paine) are an awesome trio indeed. Yuna has changed quite a lot from X. She has developed some of Tidus's traits and is more worldly and outspoken as well as playful. But she still retains some of her old traits from X so she hasn't completely changed. Rikku for the most part is still the same person she was from X. Nothing about her has changed. Aside from her appearance of course. Then there's the new girl Paine. She's a stark contrast to Yuna and Rikku and is a mystery for most of the game. It's up to the player to uncover her past and hopefully her true self. Paine is my favorite out of the three girls and is a wonderful addition to the game.

Overall, Final Fantasy X-2 is an amazing game that shouldn't have any hate at all. It's the perfect RPG that will suit all of your needs!
  6. Feb 29, 2012
    Amazing game. This my first final fantasy and it got me hooked on the series(couldn't find x as it was 2006, have since played and loved it). the battle system is one of my favourites, and it was a great idea to let the player choose where to go next. there is a ton of sidemissions and hidden objectives/items to keep ffx veterans and completion-ists entertained(lots of ffx cameos). this game has a much more "quirky" and upbeat atmosphere than its predecessor but it suits the game well imo. its 2012 now so the graphics are not amazing but the variety of locations and their design is still great(like most SE games). the music is also well done here and always suits the tone and locale of the game. like x the characters are very likable(for the most part) and it is cool to see how everyone has changed over the course of 2 years.all in all this is one of my favourites, yes it has flaws and won't be for everyone but imo it gets a 10. Expand

There's never been a Final Fantasy as free and as fun as X-2.
  2. Over-familiarity and stagnation has bred a cancerous apathy among gaming's cognoscenti. FFX-2, like it or not, gives players a reason to take notice again. [Jan 2004, p.98]
  3. A respectable follow-up, but it doesn't come close to rekindling the magic of the original. [Dec 2003, p.132]