Final Fantasy X-2 PlayStation 2

7.1

1. MatthewS.
    Dec 22, 2003
    This game is awesome, a great first sequel that square has made, excuse me, square enix. And to continue from FFX, a great game its self, with well over 150+ hrs, it has made the story even better.
  2. EricS.
    Dec 4, 2003
    This game has taken some inovative ideas and basically lets u design ur own chars and abilities... only disapointment so far is the fact u loose ur levels at new game +
  3. ZackF.
    Dec 8, 2003
    Honestly, the game DOES starts out boring, but after a while it is a really great game (although I miss the aeons). A lot of guys say it sucks because there are no dudes, because it is too girly, or because the dress sphere system is a dumb idea. To me, those are sexist remarks and shouldn't be able to affect any ones views about this great game.
  4. BizNess
    Feb 18, 2004
    Ok, seriously, if you people dont like the game, dont play it!!!!! I for one happen to like it, the monsters, the battle system could have just not changed... i would have liked the garment grid to never happen and the sphere grid to come back but other than that... EVERYTHING is top notch, i like the graphics, however dangerous for old playstations to have too many graphics which can Ok, seriously, if you people dont like the game, dont play it!!!!! I for one happen to like it, the monsters, the battle system could have just not changed... i would have liked the garment grid to never happen and the sphere grid to come back but other than that... EVERYTHING is top notch, i like the graphics, however dangerous for old playstations to have too many graphics which can cause the GUI to crash, but really this is a really good damn game and i love it.... and to all the high raters, ignore the #$(%#$s who seem to have no feelings in RPG, nor Final Fantasy Peace Expand
  5. FFLover
    Feb 25, 2004
    OH MAN THIS GAME IS GOOD!! And if any body makes fun of FF I'll drench their own blood on their final fantasy disk.
  6. HosenU.
    Mar 14, 2004
    It was far most the 2nd beat game I played next to final fantasy 10 and the rating was the best every where and the characters were good but paine and rikku werent so this was a really good game and I say and give it a 10.
  7. DanielleF.
    Jul 22, 2005
    Yeah, so, I am an die hard FF fan, but for not REALLY being an FF game, Squaresoft really got it right. I love the way to fight in the game. If only the music hadn´t been so irritating, it would have been great. You gotta love Yuna in this one too ;P She´s just friggin´awesome!
  8. AkibaH
    Nov 17, 2008
    you are missing the point you are 3 girls 2 of wich are the hotest babes in the history of final fantasy the battle system is amazing it has guns and sword good story best opening of all final fantasys awsome graphics i think it is one of the best final fantasys right under final fantasy 7 and 10 i loved i have besten it over 20 times if you dont like the game thin go fuck yore selfs
  9. ArshadS
    Dec 7, 2009
    The girly theme here was abit (fill in adjective) at first. As sum1 that love to complete games 100% i felt the 8X% at first disturbing. probably after the 3rd try getting 100%. Graphics are great sound is well done and the Story goes abit here and there altho in the end....satisfying! Overall great game.
  10. DeathCritique
    Nov 24, 2003
    Final Fantasy X-2 is definitely worth playing, for even though the gameplay is different, the game is just as good, if not better than the others in the series. Many reviewers are scared of the "new" battle system, and the "scantily clad women," but the truth is, no matter how little the women are wearing, and how different the game is, Square will always make it worthwhile. The fighting Final Fantasy X-2 is definitely worth playing, for even though the gameplay is different, the game is just as good, if not better than the others in the series. Many reviewers are scared of the "new" battle system, and the "scantily clad women," but the truth is, no matter how little the women are wearing, and how different the game is, Square will always make it worthwhile. The fighting system starts off as a hard to grasp, button-mashing event, but as the game progresses, there is no doubt that you will get the hang of it and grow to love it. In order to really appreciate the game itself, you need to play through the game in its entirety, and I think that you will find it extremely entertaining. Expand
  11. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Dec 19, 2003
    The game R-O-C-K-S period.Though not as good as FFVII & FFX it's as good as FFIX & That is good.Square did a risky thing with X-2 it's totally different yet incredibly satisifing.Great graphics,nice voice acting,great fun. Only 2 problems with it NO Summons or overdrives yet the dress changes are cool & u think when u first play it "Am I having as much fun as I think I am" (but The game R-O-C-K-S period.Though not as good as FFVII & FFX it's as good as FFIX & That is good.Square did a risky thing with X-2 it's totally different yet incredibly satisifing.Great graphics,nice voice acting,great fun. Only 2 problems with it NO Summons or overdrives yet the dress changes are cool & u think when u first play it "Am I having as much fun as I think I am" (but u R stupid) if u hate it , I will summom the characters from FF to punish you 4 your crime.Well have fun ^_^ !!! Expand
  12. JessicaaM
    Dec 18, 2008
    Okay So It WasnT The Best InThe World. But Iloved It. I Still LIke The Frist One Wayy Moree Then the Secondd Onee! The Only Thing I Dont LIke Aboutt The Second One Is That They Should Have Made Somewayy For Yuna To Find In Stead Of At The End They Should Have Gave Hints He Was Coming Back Cause Then It Would Want To Make You Play it Moree. I Mean By The 3 Chapter She Gave Upp Lokking For Okay So It WasnT The Best InThe World. But Iloved It. I Still LIke The Frist One Wayy Moree Then the Secondd Onee! The Only Thing I Dont LIke Aboutt The Second One Is That They Should Have Made Somewayy For Yuna To Find In Stead Of At The End They Should Have Gave Hints He Was Coming Back Cause Then It Would Want To Make You Play it Moree. I Mean By The 3 Chapter She Gave Upp Lokking For Him But I Simplyy Love Itt! It Was Kinda Good And Every Where I Go I Feel Like Yuna, With Her Loverr So Yeaa. Expand
  13. Sep 28, 2010
    So far the only complain I saw are the Chick-flick style... seriously, you cannot enjoy a game because it's too girly for you... it's like saying you can't enjoy Pokemon because it's too childish. Huh, I'm too tired to argue and so I'll just say this, it's a recycled game with a vamped up gameplay and way too easy bosses. It may not be as challenging for and RPG fan but it serves itSo far the only complain I saw are the Chick-flick style... seriously, you cannot enjoy a game because it's too girly for you... it's like saying you can't enjoy Pokemon because it's too childish. Huh, I'm too tired to argue and so I'll just say this, it's a recycled game with a vamped up gameplay and way too easy bosses. It may not be as challenging for and RPG fan but it serves it purpose as an entertaining one. Expand
  14. Dec 30, 2011
    I surprised myself with this game. I was expecting disappointment but X-2 is quite fun. I don't appreciate the fan service that much and the story still suffered plot holes and stupidity that X had but the dress sphere system was a complete revelation to me because it was a throwback to the Job System (a gameplay mechanic that Square Enix should bring back) and I preferred it over X'sI surprised myself with this game. I was expecting disappointment but X-2 is quite fun. I don't appreciate the fan service that much and the story still suffered plot holes and stupidity that X had but the dress sphere system was a complete revelation to me because it was a throwback to the Job System (a gameplay mechanic that Square Enix should bring back) and I preferred it over X's sphere grid system. I also enjoyed its emphasis on side quests and its characters, though being fan service fodders, are quite fun. Honestly, I thought the dress sphere combat system was the main reason why enjoyed its game overall. I do understand why most people hate this game and that's because it is the one game in the series that is completely different. Not everyone likes change but I didn't mind the game's departure at all. Expand
  15. Sep 23, 2010
    While outshined by its predecessor and a very radical departure from the series norm, Final Fantasy X-2 still manages to be highly entertaining and engrossing, with special mention to its frenetic and nuanced combat system.
  16. Oct 23, 2010
    Very fun combat system and overall gameplay. The downside? the story is on the cheesy side and if you don't have a good stomach to tolerate it you might get turned off fast.
  17. Nov 17, 2010
    I really enjoy, and still do enjoy playing this game. Of course it will never live up to what Final Fantasy X was, but i felt the game held it's own and was a good game. I suppose the only thing i didn't like was mainly the main character Yuna's overall attitude in the game. I know characters need to evolve, but it just seemed like a whole different person than the Final Fantasy X yuna weI really enjoy, and still do enjoy playing this game. Of course it will never live up to what Final Fantasy X was, but i felt the game held it's own and was a good game. I suppose the only thing i didn't like was mainly the main character Yuna's overall attitude in the game. I know characters need to evolve, but it just seemed like a whole different person than the Final Fantasy X yuna we knew and love. but no matter, this game was very nice, and it's one of my favorite of the final fantasy series. Expand
  18. Dec 26, 2013
    Why?? New gameplay mechanics are new and interesting features and possibly the best part of the game. But hiding great system under dresspheres why? Again awful story with annoying characters.
  19. Oct 25, 2013
    Hate the day SE made this game... X should have ended with Tidus dying if would've been a perfect ending instead Yuna is trying to chase a girl's dream for her dream prince with her somewhat *sexy* team the Gullwings, and now sfter Sin died It's a free world and many girls now run around half naked.
    The story doesen't work at all for me it's just another way of SE to milk a game. And what makes the story even worse is that it's absolutley impossible to finish the gae 100% to get the perfect ending, after the third time trying to get it without cheating which I guessed every goddamn kid playing this game did due to the fact you can't finish the game perfect without a guide. The game is built in a way that you might need to talk to person A, in chapter 1 who direct's you to talk to person B in chapter 2 who sit's behind a box, unavailable too see on the screen. Person B want's you to find an item the can only be obtained when you are at a certain place in chapter 4 that's also behind some stupid box and that leads you to person C who's in chapter 5 and you have to talk to him in a place you never gonna visit before the last boss and woalla! you have no earned yourself 2%. now you just gotta do that for the other 40 due the fact the you will get 40 from just finishing the game and the other 20% aresome what extra that you get so everyone ends with at least a good ending...
    Well the good thing about this game has to be the battle system, nice flor. you can attack with timed attacks for extra effect and the job system is nice.
    Well as a matter of fact the only thing that makes me play this game is the battle mode and the coin game (another math game) Yeah I like it.
  20. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The successor to Final Fantasy X is not as good as the original does not mean it is bad. To me the biggest bust was a combat system that tried to be I do not know what. Certainly not Final Fantasy. However, to him will get used to then give to draw in quite neatly stacked history. The graphics are the same as in the predecessor. The music in this part of the predominant Pop (could not be otherwise because of the story). There were songs that were annoying but you could also come across a so-called "pearls". As for the bosses It could have been much better. With Leblanc and her entourage fight a few times so you can complain about the repetition. However, other "villains" are designed with the idea and passion. The maximum exposure assessment prevented me sometimes annoying music and repeatability bosses. Expand
  21. Sep 11, 2013
    I really do believe that this game got allot too much negative criticism that it didn't deserve. I liked it. It was nice that they finally decided to actually continue a story line from a previous game, especially since FF X ended on such a sad note.

FF X-2 was a nice change of pace and Square finally tried to do a few fresh ideas, and revive some old ones. The job system was really fun to use as it was cool being able to switch your characters into whatever roles you wanted them in. Problem was that some of the jobs were slightly overpowered and really put the others on the back bench. But this is just a minor point as it did not detract for the experience.

1000 Words is perhaps the most beautiful in game song I have ever heard, and I still listen to it to this day. Gives me chills every time I hear it.

Overall:
    FF X-2 does exactly what it intends to do: and that is to be a sequel to FF X. It does a great job of wrapping up the story arc and if you manage to get 100% also the happy ending we all really wished for in FF X.
  22. Jan 8, 2013
    Probably the worst final fantasy to date. I thought the story was horrible. They took final fantasy x and made a terrible sequel aimed at a completely different audience, I didn't like anything about it. I played it solely for the fact that it's a final fantasy with familiar characters.
  23. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all honesty I hated this game, they ruined the story for me and beings that's all I bought it for its getting a really bad review. To start off, the main character in this game has gone through complete lifestyle change after her religion in the first game was smashed (which to a degree makes sense) but who would go from being someone willing to sacrifice themselves for everyone else, to a pop star that is continuously in search of her lost boy friend? Now, if I can over look all the stupid dancing you focus in on the enemies, the main villains in the game are jokes, they want to be rich pop stars and are trying to steal the main characters identity? If that isn't bad enough by the end of those same villains are showing their good side and helping you out. Then there is the battle system, I'll admit its kind of neat, but the AI is always going to be able to make choices faster than a player, if it paused when you were making choices it'd be pretty cool, but as it is its just X's system that ignores the time it takes for players to make decisions, allowing your enemies to sneak more hits in why you try to select your dang attack. Finally there is the ending, the reason why anyone played this game was to find Tidus, that's what everyone wants to see, and after watching YouTube see you actually can, not that I'd have ever figured that out because you have to get a 100% completion, and the game really isn't enough fun to make one want to grid through it to get there.

So in all, I found the characters to be over simplified, the battle system okay, the story dumbed down, the music rather meh, the sphere grid lame, the recycling of all the environments to be rather lazy (except the villain that they rebuilt, that was cool, but most of the new areas were just hall ways that used the same tile over and over), some of the puzzles were good, but in all it just left me wanting more.

They also recycled all the aeons as bosses, and your base is a flying car... literally.

I could easily have given this game a better review if I wouldn't have played the other one first, but after playing X and then X2 you realize how much they recycled and then failed to produce a good story, this seems more like a budge saving game to milk people's money who loved X.
  24. Jan 23, 2014
    Final Fantasy X-2 was an amazing sequel to X. But if you haven't played X first, you shouldn't play this game. I don't really see why this game gets so much hate. Personally, I love the changes. X-2 is very upbeat and joyful as opposed to the more depressing atmospheres you see in previous FF games which gets old really fast. I also love that there's an all-female cast which defies a lotFinal Fantasy X-2 was an amazing sequel to X. But if you haven't played X first, you shouldn't play this game. I don't really see why this game gets so much hate. Personally, I love the changes. X-2 is very upbeat and joyful as opposed to the more depressing atmospheres you see in previous FF games which gets old really fast. I also love that there's an all-female cast which defies a lot of stereotypes and sexism. The battle system was a big overhaul from X and while it is much easier than X, it's also more complicated as well. The dressphere and Garment Grid system was also a great addition and it gave the game a more magical and mystical feel. Most of the characters from X are in the game but only as cameos. Some of them are even bosses that you have to fight against. All of the locations from X are back and some of them even have secret dungeons that you have to go through hell and high water just to access which makes the game pretty difficult.

Unlike X, the gameplay is non-linear which means you can control where the story goes. Also there are a lot of side quests, mini-games, and secret places that you can access which makes this game have a LOT of replay value. But some of the secret dungeons are very difficult even for veteran gamers and you might get very frustrated. There are several endings and the one you get depends on the percentage completion that you have when you complete the game. However, it's impossible to get 100% completion in one playthrough but there's something that can remedy that. There's a New Game+ feature which lets you play all over again with everything you've obtained. But you're not getting off that easily! You start back over at Level 1 so things won't be too easy for you.

The music in X-2 was quite amazing and it was a big change from X but in a good way. The songs in the game (Real Emotion and 1000 Words) are quite wonderful and you'll want to listen to them all over again. The three characters that you'll be using (Yuna, Rikku, and a new girl Paine) are an awesome trio indeed. Yuna has changed quite a lot from X. She has developed some of Tidus's traits and is more worldly and outspoken as well as playful. But she still retains some of her old traits from X so she hasn't completely changed. Rikku for the most part is still the same person she was from X. Nothing about her has changed. Aside from her appearance of course. Then there's the new girl Paine. She's a stark contrast to Yuna and Rikku and is a mystery for most of the game. It's up to the player to uncover her past and hopefully her true self. Paine is my favorite out of the three girls and is a wonderful addition to the game.

Overall, Final Fantasy X-2 is an amazing game that shouldn't have any hate at all. It's the perfect RPG that will suit all of your needs!
  25. Oct 30, 2015
    Amazing game by the legendary director, Motomu Toriyama.

FINAL FANTASY X-2 was the first sequel in the FINAL FANTASY series and since it we've had sequels for FINAL FANTASY VII, FINAL FANTASY IV & FINAL FANTASY XIII. It revisited the Active Time Battle System which brought a faster pace to battles. It was a nice change, and I definitely enjoyed it. It also introduced a mountain
    Amazing game by the legendary director, Motomu Toriyama.

It also introduced a mountain load of mini-games, this can be good and bad. Some of these are connected to story events which unfortunately means you will miss out on completing the story 100% if you don't complete them. They also re-envisioned the addicting Blitzball as a coaching simulator game which I found was a shame. I'd love to see Square Enix develop a game called "FINAL FANTASY X -Blitzball World Cup-".

The story wasn't as good as FINAL FANTASY X's but it would be very hard to top that anyway, I still enjoyed the story a lot.

Another challenging trophy list, but not quite as difficult as X's I feel.

Once again, another great job has been done by Square Enix to remaster this game in high definition.

A ton of replay value, you have to replay it via New Game+ just need to complete the story 100%. It has the most replay value in the series till this day. It also has a huge amount of side quests and cutscenes you're bound to miss if you aren't careful.

I feel this game is underrated.
  26. Jan 4, 2015
    The combat in this Final Fantasy title may be the best in the entire series.
    But, there are some major issues with this game. First off, I hope you enjoy feeling like you're trapped inside a Britney Spears video. Because that's where you're going to be for the entire game. I love **** like Britney and Katy Perry and at times even I felt it was a bit much.
    If you enjoy time bar-turn based
    The combat in this Final Fantasy title may be the best in the entire series.
    If you enjoy time bar-turn based combat and don't mind the over girly tones, this game is an absolute must buy.
  27. May 15, 2015
  28. Nov 22, 2015
    Why did it come to this? Sakaguchi's series didn't need this sort of disgrace. Honestly? The gameplay was decent. It was a fresh change of pace to a tired formula, which I could praise. But this games most unforgivable flaw is what it did to FFX's story.

Yuna wqas an incredibly strong female lead for FFX. Honestly, she was the central character the whole time, and I consider her the main character. She made the decisions, chose the path they'd walk, and saved the world. She was shy and meek at first, but by the end she was strong enough to shurg off the chains of religion and destiny and shook the whole world to its core. She was a person everyone should admire, who happened to be female.

Yet in X-2, she's reduced to a fanservice character and valley girl. Why? I can understand wanting to have a female lead again after all these years (FF VI) but it was done so poorly. Like they wanted to make a feminist statement but missed the mark horribly. Yuna rants on about clothes and shopping and cute boys and treasure hunting. Gone and dead is the strong character I came to know in X. She's been replaced by this shallow child that has stolen her face and voice.

Not to mention the fact that the entire story was random butt pull after butt pull where things happen for no foreshadowed reason, since they were trying to tie the story to a completed, closed one. And for all the torturous turns it takes, they were pointless. The best ending you can get is the ending we already HAD after X. But with the beauty and subtlety removed from it.

So while I can't say it fails as a game since the gameplay is relatively solid, I can't ever forgive SE for what they did to the series with this entry. The beginning of a long decline and the death of my youth. I hope that XV's new direction puts an end to all of this. SE has proven they can't make what they made when they still had Sakaguchi. So maybe when they try for something different, we'll see better results. I trust the KH team, and eagerly await the loosening of Disney's shackles in the form of XV.
  29. Mar 15, 2016
    An insult to everyone that loves final fantasy and especially final fantasy X. Very poor storyline, poor music, poor graphics for when it came out, extremely boring... But the worst thing is not just all that crap, it's that it messes with the great story from Final Fantasy X. Remember Yuna? The demure and strong girl that was to give her life for people to live in peace another 10 years,An insult to everyone that loves final fantasy and especially final fantasy X. Very poor storyline, poor music, poor graphics for when it came out, extremely boring... But the worst thing is not just all that crap, it's that it messes with the great story from Final Fantasy X. Remember Yuna? The demure and strong girl that was to give her life for people to live in peace another 10 years, the girl that would marry the devil himself if that makes people have something happy to talk about. Well that girl is now jumping around seeking new dresses. That is how bad FFX-2 is. Definetely aimed for 14 year old girls that have 0 experience with video games, I'll just give it a 3 for the combat system and for LeBlanc, which was truly an interesting character. Expand
  30. Mar 14, 2016
    Perfect - this game is simply amazing! The battle system is the best, the music is the best, the job system is the best, shaping your own ending is pure genius, the characters are all amazing and Paine is a very mysterious and amazing character for her first appearance. Her past is amazing too! I love the LeBlanc syndicate and the Gullwings (except Brother..) and i really love thePerfect - this game is simply amazing! The battle system is the best, the music is the best, the job system is the best, shaping your own ending is pure genius, the characters are all amazing and Paine is a very mysterious and amazing character for her first appearance. Her past is amazing too! I love the LeBlanc syndicate and the Gullwings (except Brother..) and i really love the mission-based gameplay, non-linear in every aspect! This game hands-down beats the hell out of X! Expand

#1 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#3 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

There's never been a Final Fantasy as free and as fun as X-2.
  2. Over-familiarity and stagnation has bred a cancerous apathy among gaming's cognoscenti. FFX-2, like it or not, gives players a reason to take notice again. [Jan 2004, p.98]
  3. A respectable follow-up, but it doesn't come close to rekindling the magic of the original. [Dec 2003, p.132]