7.3

1. Nov 25, 2010
    If one were to ignore Final Fantasy X and just observe Final Fantasy X-2 by itself, you could conclude it as being light-hearted RPG with a fun, refreshing, and dynamic battle system arguably one of the best in the series. However, the epic story of Final Fantasy X is a difficult act to follow, and X-2 fails to live up to the bar that its predecessor set. In comparison to the traditional, grand, save the world storyline of Final Fantasy X, one can't help to feel that X-2 is just an epilogue to the epic story of Final Fantasy X and lacks the legs to stand on its own. Final Fantasy X-2 has a mission based non-linear type gameplay where the player will find themselves running through the world of Spira visiting old friends and tying loose ends while introducing new characters along the way. Many of these missions lack any urgency or sometimes any relevancy to the plot and I found my self lacking motivation to complete them, only trudging through them so that I could unlock the "true" ending (as a heads up, in addition to completing all the side tasks and missions, you must watch the entirety of every cut-scene or else you will need to play through the game again if you are going for the perfect ending on one play-through) . Those who played Final Fantasy X will find themselves in complete shock as to how much Spira and Yuna has changed following the events of X. I would go as far as to say a complete 180 degree turn from the serious nature of the first game. While this change of pace and lack of urgency might be refreshing to some, I felt frustrated. Instead of getting sucked into world of Spira all over again I just found myself asking why?.

While being more of a classic turn-based guy myself, I found X-2's take on the ATB battle system to be very fun. Players will find themselves switching between many classic FF jobs, around something called a garment grids which rewards players with various bonus's during battle for switching through different paths of jobs. The result is a flashy, fast paced battle which almost feels part fashion show, as each of the three main characters each have their own distinct look and style depending on the job.

Despite the lackluster story I can still recommend Final Fantasy X-2 to all but the most hardcore Final Fantasy X purists. The gameplay is sound and the storyline does provide some memorable experiences. However those expecting another epic in the same vein of Final Fantasy X will be disappointed. It is a nice conclusion to the Final Fantasy X storyline but in the end, that's all it feels like. The storyline of X-2 is nothing more than an afterthought, which in the end puts a damper on an RPG that contains some of the most fun exciting battles the Final Fantasy series has every seen.
  2. Apr 6, 2013
    A decent game, naturally inferior to its predecessor and one of the easiest and shortest Final Fantasies I've ever played. FF X-2 also features an almost jarring change in tone; it's cheesy, silly, funny and quite (really) feminine with some serious elements buried under all that, but at it's heart it's fan-service for anyone dedicated enough to follow a Piggyback guide to the letter in order to view some FMV of a re-united Yuna and you-know-who. I found the game became something of a chore by its third chapter, as the player is forced to re-visit locations and re-tread their steps several times not only from previous chapters, but from the first game. Expand
  3. Mar 20, 2012
    Sailor moon + charlie´s angels + Britney Spears + Japan idol Pop + hot and sexy = Final Fantasy X-2. The first great spot in Final Fantasy´s history.
  4. May 2, 2013
    In my opinion, the best Final Fantasy title on Playstation 2. Also, I think this is the best one since the Super Nintendo titles were released, they had something going, too bad they messed it up with 11 and 12.
  5. Nov 21, 2011
    Perhaps the worst game I've ever played... The 1st game that showed that SE quality demise... I wish I could travel back to the past and stop myself from buying this atrocious piece of %$@#*&.
  6. Feb 19, 2014
    I felt embarrassed playing X-2. X-2 was made for teeny boppers. Or the J-pop crowd in Japan. If you fit into this demographic, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's certainly not for me. The music is horrible for an RPG. It's not "fantasy" at all. Yuna becomes a Lara Croft version of a pop star? What the hell? SE tried far too hard to make X-2 "hip." ie: "You scored a potion!"
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    The ATB System of Final Fantasy X-2 is the best ATB in the entire series. The Job system is a throwback to the older ff games. Overall i was suprised that FF X-2 actually is really a good game, despite that a major part of the game is pure fan service and having only 3 ladies to play.
  8. Sep 28, 2010
    So far the only complain I saw are the Chick-flick style... seriously, you cannot enjoy a game because it's too girly for you... it's like saying you can't enjoy Pokemon because it's too childish. Huh, I'm too tired to argue and so I'll just say this, it's a recycled game with a vamped up gameplay and way too easy bosses. It may not be as challenging for and RPG fan but it serves it purpose as an entertaining one. Expand
  9. Dec 30, 2011
    I surprised myself with this game. I was expecting disappointment but X-2 is quite fun. I don't appreciate the fan service that much and the story still suffered plot holes and stupidity that X had but the dress sphere system was a complete revelation to me because it was a throwback to the Job System (a gameplay mechanic that Square Enix should bring back) and I preferred it over X's sphere grid system. I also enjoyed its emphasis on side quests and its characters, though being fan service fodders, are quite fun. Honestly, I thought the dress sphere combat system was the main reason why enjoyed its game overall. I do understand why most people hate this game and that's because it is the one game in the series that is completely different. Not everyone likes change but I didn't mind the game's departure at all. Expand
  10. Sep 23, 2010
    While outshined by its predecessor and a very radical departure from the series norm, Final Fantasy X-2 still manages to be highly entertaining and engrossing, with special mention to its frenetic and nuanced combat system.
  11. Oct 23, 2010
    Very fun combat system and overall gameplay. The downside? the story is on the cheesy side and if you don't have a good stomach to tolerate it you might get turned off fast.
  12. Nov 17, 2010
    I really enjoy, and still do enjoy playing this game. Of course it will never live up to what Final Fantasy X was, but i felt the game held it's own and was a good game. I suppose the only thing i didn't like was mainly the main character Yuna's overall attitude in the game. I know characters need to evolve, but it just seemed like a whole different person than the Final Fantasy X yuna we knew and love. but no matter, this game was very nice, and it's one of my favorite of the final fantasy series. Expand
  13. Feb 29, 2012
    Amazing game. This my first final fantasy and it got me hooked on the series(couldn't find x as it was 2006, have since played and loved it). the battle system is one of my favourites, and it was a great idea to let the player choose where to go next. there is a ton of sidemissions and hidden objectives/items to keep ffx veterans and completion-ists entertained(lots of ffx cameos). this game has a much more "quirky" and upbeat atmosphere than its predecessor but it suits the game well imo. its 2012 now so the graphics are not amazing but the variety of locations and their design is still great(like most SE games). the music is also well done here and always suits the tone and locale of the game. like x the characters are very likable(for the most part) and it is cool to see how everyone has changed over the course of 2 years.all in all this is one of my favourites, yes it has flaws and won't be for everyone but imo it gets a 10. Expand
  14. Dec 26, 2013
    Why?? New gameplay mechanics are new and interesting features and possibly the best part of the game. But hiding great system under dresspheres why? Again awful story with annoying characters.
  15. Oct 25, 2013
    Hate the day SE made this game... X should have ended with Tidus dying if would've been a perfect ending instead Yuna is trying to chase a girl's dream for her dream prince with her somewhat *sexy* team the Gullwings, and now sfter Sin died It's a free world and many girls now run around half naked.
    The story doesen't work at all for me it's just another way of SE to milk a game. And what
    makes the story even worse is that it's absolutley impossible to finish the gae 100% to get the perfect ending, after the third time trying to get it without cheating which I guessed every goddamn kid playing this game did due to the fact you can't finish the game perfect without a guide. The game is built in a way that you might need to talk to person A, in chapter 1 who direct's you to talk to person B in chapter 2 who sit's behind a box, unavailable too see on the screen. Person B want's you to find an item the can only be obtained when you are at a certain place in chapter 4 that's also behind some stupid box and that leads you to person C who's in chapter 5 and you have to talk to him in a place you never gonna visit before the last boss and woalla! you have no earned yourself 2%. now you just gotta do that for the other 40 due the fact the you will get 40 from just finishing the game and the other 20% aresome what extra that you get so everyone ends with at least a good ending...
    Well the good thing about this game has to be the battle system, nice flor. you can attack with timed attacks for extra effect and the job system is nice.
    Well as a matter of fact the only thing that makes me play this game is the battle mode and the coin game (another math game) Yeah I like it.
  16. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The successor to Final Fantasy X is not as good as the original does not mean it is bad. To me the biggest bust was a combat system that tried to be I do not know what. Certainly not Final Fantasy. However, to him will get used to then give to draw in quite neatly stacked history. The graphics are the same as in the predecessor. The music in this part of the predominant Pop (could not be otherwise because of the story). There were songs that were annoying but you could also come across a so-called "pearls". As for the bosses It could have been much better. With Leblanc and her entourage fight a few times so you can complain about the repetition. However, other "villains" are designed with the idea and passion. The maximum exposure assessment prevented me sometimes annoying music and repeatability bosses. Expand
  17. Sep 11, 2013
    I really do believe that this game got allot too much negative criticism that it didn't deserve. I liked it. It was nice that they finally decided to actually continue a story line from a previous game, especially since FF X ended on such a sad note.

FF X-2 was a nice change of pace and Square finally tried to do a few fresh ideas, and revive some old ones. The job system was really fun
    to use as it was cool being able to switch your characters into whatever roles you wanted them in. Problem was that some of the jobs were slightly overpowered and really put the others on the back bench. But this is just a minor point as it did not detract for the experience.

1000 Words is perhaps the most beautiful in game song I have ever heard, and I still listen to it to this day. Gives me chills every time I hear it.

Overall:
    FF X-2 does exactly what it intends to do: and that is to be a sequel to FF X. It does a great job of wrapping up the story arc and if you manage to get 100% also the happy ending we all really wished for in FF X.
  18. Jan 8, 2013
    Probably the worst final fantasy to date. I thought the story was horrible. They took final fantasy x and made a terrible sequel aimed at a completely different audience, I didn't like anything about it. I played it solely for the fact that it's a final fantasy with familiar characters.
  19. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all honesty I hated this game, they ruined the story for me and beings that's all I bought it for its getting a really bad review. To start off, the main character in this game has gone through complete lifestyle change after her religion in the first game was smashed (which to a degree makes sense) but who would go from being someone willing to sacrifice themselves for everyone else, to a pop star that is continuously in search of her lost boy friend? Now, if I can over look all the stupid dancing you focus in on the enemies, the main villains in the game are jokes, they want to be rich pop stars and are trying to steal the main characters identity? If that isn't bad enough by the end of those same villains are showing their good side and helping you out. Then there is the battle system, I'll admit its kind of neat, but the AI is always going to be able to make choices faster than a player, if it paused when you were making choices it'd be pretty cool, but as it is its just X's system that ignores the time it takes for players to make decisions, allowing your enemies to sneak more hits in why you try to select your dang attack. Finally there is the ending, the reason why anyone played this game was to find Tidus, that's what everyone wants to see, and after watching YouTube see you actually can, not that I'd have ever figured that out because you have to get a 100% completion, and the game really isn't enough fun to make one want to grid through it to get there.

So in all, I found the characters to be over simplified, the battle system okay, the story dumbed down, the music rather meh, the sphere grid lame, the recycling of all the environments to be rather lazy (except the villain that they rebuilt, that was cool, but most of the new areas were just hall ways that used the same tile over and over), some of the puzzles were good, but in all it just left me wanting more.

They also recycled all the aeons as bosses, and your base is a flying car... literally.

I could easily have given this game a better review if I wouldn't have played the other one first, but after playing X and then X2 you realize how much they recycled and then failed to produce a good story, this seems more like a budge saving game to milk people's money who loved X.
  20. Jan 23, 2014
    Final Fantasy X-2 was an amazing sequel to X. But if you haven't played X first, you shouldn't play this game. I don't really see why this game gets so much hate. Personally, I love the changes. X-2 is very upbeat and joyful as opposed to the more depressing atmospheres you see in previous FF games which gets old really fast. I also love that there's an all-female cast which defies a lot of stereotypes and sexism. The battle system was a big overhaul from X and while it is much easier than X, it's also more complicated as well. The dressphere and Garment Grid system was also a great addition and it gave the game a more magical and mystical feel. Most of the characters from X are in the game but only as cameos. Some of them are even bosses that you have to fight against. All of the locations from X are back and some of them even have secret dungeons that you have to go through hell and high water just to access which makes the game pretty difficult.

Unlike X, the gameplay is non-linear which means you can control where the story goes. Also there are a lot of side quests, mini-games, and secret places that you can access which makes this game have a LOT of replay value. But some of the secret dungeons are very difficult even for veteran gamers and you might get very frustrated. There are several endings and the one you get depends on the percentage completion that you have when you complete the game. However, it's impossible to get 100% completion in one playthrough but there's something that can remedy that. There's a New Game+ feature which lets you play all over again with everything you've obtained. But you're not getting off that easily! You start back over at Level 1 so things won't be too easy for you.

The music in X-2 was quite amazing and it was a big change from X but in a good way. The songs in the game (Real Emotion and 1000 Words) are quite wonderful and you'll want to listen to them all over again. The three characters that you'll be using (Yuna, Rikku, and a new girl Paine) are an awesome trio indeed. Yuna has changed quite a lot from X. She has developed some of Tidus's traits and is more worldly and outspoken as well as playful. But she still retains some of her old traits from X so she hasn't completely changed. Rikku for the most part is still the same person she was from X. Nothing about her has changed. Aside from her appearance of course. Then there's the new girl Paine. She's a stark contrast to Yuna and Rikku and is a mystery for most of the game. It's up to the player to uncover her past and hopefully her true self. Paine is my favorite out of the three girls and is a wonderful addition to the game.

Overall, Final Fantasy X-2 is an amazing game that shouldn't have any hate at all. It's the perfect RPG that will suit all of your needs!
  21. Mai
    Apr 24, 2004
    It's not as good as ffx but allowed more freedom. The battle systems good but way too easy, I found that battle was over before it started! The beginning was a bit too charlie's angels but it got better, and the song 1000 words is good. It's a good game and the only things keeping me from giving it a 10 is the fact that the beginnig is a let down and game play too easy. I was expecting more of a challenge. Still, can't stop playing! Collapse

There's never been a Final Fantasy as free and as fun as X-2.
  2. Over-familiarity and stagnation has bred a cancerous apathy among gaming's cognoscenti. FFX-2, like it or not, gives players a reason to take notice again. [Jan 2004, p.98]
  3. A respectable follow-up, but it doesn't come close to rekindling the magic of the original. [Dec 2003, p.132]